User Reviews for Gabapentin

Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced

1 review 56 medications
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 7.2 1,768 reviews

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "This gabapentin medication has been a miracle drug for me. I have many health problems, and this med has 1) Decreased my peripheral neuropathy pain in multiple areas. 2) with ataxia - I was falling forward/sideways. It stopped it completely! 3) I am able to be around people now for the first time in 18yrs with out having severe anxiety attacks and finding the nearest exit. 4) for the first time in 18 yrs I have an appetite rather than just eating because my body needs fuel. 5) I am sleeping better. 6) I feel peaceful & happy, rather than just saying I am! I was a nurse and my life changed overnight, now 19 yrs later, Gabapentin is helping me live a better quality of life TY."

Myown Destiny (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2019

For Anxiety: "Gabapenin let's me LIVE LIFE!! I have HORRIBLE social anxiety, it has made me miss many important moments in my sons life because I get too scared and nervous to leave the house. Xanax and klonopin both helped to a small degree, but it was still hard for me to do simple things like go to a store. Then my doctor prescribed me gabapentin and all I can say is it is AMAZING for social anxiety! I highly, highly recommend to anyone with social anxiety. It changed my life."

K (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 100mg 4x per day for anxiety and it worked at first. Then needed higher dosages, then came the side effects of loss of memory, confusion, suicidal ideations and physical dependency. I lost my job because I can't keep up with the pace of work and the increased depression. The withdrawals trying to taper off it are horrible. If there is another option rather than gabapentin I would consider it."

Natasha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2019

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "I was given gabapentin for shingles nerve pain. If I take 100 mg I go to sleep. I only take 50 mg a day. Everybody is different on this drug, and if you are having side effects, and a doctor is telling you to keep taking it...I would either lower the dosage and or get a second opinion. Too many drugs are given out at a dose that somebody said is “the norm”. Well, we are each unique. If you are ever uncomfortable or having bad side effects I would read up on the drug, and talk to you doc again, and....in the end, only you know exactly how you feel. If side effects are not getting better, not going away, and they are interfering too much in your life, not the correct drug or dose for you."

Cindy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2019

For Pain: "Gabapentin is so bad for some of its users. Doctors know how to put you on it but don't have a clue on how to get you off it if you start have problems. I was on it for a year and started having side effects. Confusion, vertigo, stammering, nausea. There are no antidotes for helping you get off of it. Getting off of gabapenton has been horrific. Stay Away From This stuff!"

Pj (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "58y/o post menopause woman - been on gabapentin for 1 month at 300mg (but currently only taking 100mg at night) - originally prescribed for RLS but see that it helps in other ways too. It helps with night sweats, neuropathy in toes, helps with knee and shoulder aches and I haven't had interruptions in sleep since I started it. Getting 6-7 hrs sleep straight through, rather than 4-5. Will continue gabapentin up to 300mg (if needed, and no bad side effects show up) and wean off, once I lose 50lbs and get back to exercising regularly."

garden80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2019

For Pain: "I have very painful non-essential neuropathy of the feet. (No good reason) Neurontin helps my foot pain a lot but I seem to still have plenty of pain to go around. I’m on 600 mg at bedtime 10:30 and it also helps me sleep! It helps me sleep so well that I can’t drive in the mornings or early afternoon (on the highways) because I fall asleep behind the wheel. My prescription continues to say I am to take 3 per day. I would nap my life away. Also, I’ve noticed the longer I’ve been on it the more I notice my memory isn’t as sharp which is hopefully just because I’m tired. But it works better than Lyrica and hopefully it isn’t addictive. It does help tho."

Me (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2019

For Anxiety: "At first I thought gabapentin was great, it seemed like it was helping with my anxiety and I had zero urge to drink alcohol for the first time in forever. Only problem is that after a few months I turned into a ZOMBIE! I felt foggy all the time. I had trouble waking up in the morning and always felt like I had this nasty headache. It got hard for me to remember things; I could have conversation with someone and not remember what it was about an hour later. I had to stop taking it because it was affecting my work; I was constantly spacing things and forgetting to, y'know, do my job. The withdrawal was BAD. I experienced increased anxiety and feeling creepy-crawly sensation on my skin for several days. Wish it worked out better for me because the original effects were great."

DBGlass (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2019

For Insomnia: "I started on Gabapentin to get off Klonopin. After several months I find it works amazing at decrease the need for Klonopin. I usually get great results combining very low levels of Klonopin with Gabapentin. This improvement is why I scored it a 5. However, I now wake up after only 3 to 5 hours of sleep. This low hours of sleep makes me anxious. When I listen to my body I feel rested and I am not tired during the day. Unfortunately, knowing lack of sleep hours is related to mood issues I get scared."

Confused (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2019

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "This med is NOT for neuropathy. It is for nerve pain. Neuropathy cannot be cured, but pain can be treated. I am just beginning this med, hope it help."

Paulie (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

For Pain: "I have been prescribed gabapentin after being attacked and receiving trauma to my leg which has caused nerve damage resulting in drop foot. I was initially started on 100mg 3 times daily and ramped up to 600mg 3 times daily before leaving hospital which did seem to control the nerve pain for a little while, but then it would gradually worsen after a few days leaving me in agony. I am now on 900mg three times daily and still in the same amount of pain. I will be going back to my doctors today to discuss dosage and alternative medication."

bazzaboiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2019

For Insomnia: "I'm taking 1200 mugs of gabapentin for severe back pain. Since taking the drug I find I talk all the time, like I'm so hyper. People ask me what I'm on. My major complaint is I can't sleep. I'm literally up for days at a time . I need sleep. Does anyone else suffer this terrible problem? The doctor says keep taking them. "

Zena (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2019

For Insomnia: "I take one 400mg pill before bed and I sleep deeply but only for a few hours. Sometimes I can get back to sleep. However I do feel well rested even after 3 or 4 hours only. I also feel a bit weird when I start my day. I don’t like taking more because I will have a difficult time ejaculating . If I take it every night it doesn’t work as well. My orgasms are more important to me than insomnia. I’m 59 years old and I have a very stressful life. I do like this medicine because it does make me dream and feel rested"

Marcette (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2019

For Pain: "I am a chronic pain patient now on 100mg gabapentin, it’s amazing the pain relief. When it comes to gabapentin less is more. For ten years I suffered chronic pain (cervical 5-6 and 1-2... had 2 open shoulder surgeries with titanium). I was given 300mg gabapentin various times but made things worst, horrible side effects. I suffer the most from nerve damage coming from the cervical 5-6 that shoots into my arm and gabapentin 100mg stopped everything. I’m in the gym everyday. I have quality of life. I feel so blessed, no more hardcore narcotics!!! I was a patient who was taking extended release oxycodone with 15 mg oxycodone instant release for breakthrough pain and Valium #10"

Steven Micheal (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had various treatments for bipolar over the last 7 years but was unhappy with weight gain. I was put on gabapentin for my sciatic nerve pain and soon realised my low moods had lifted enabling me to have a better quality of life. Six months ago I was able to stay off my other meds for bipolar and just take the Gabapentin"

Ella (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been on gabapentin for almost a month now. I am clinically diagnosed with PTSD, and major depressive disorder. I have had a very traumatic child so of course I suffer with anxiety related to PTSD. I cannot function in my day to day life without medication and I have to accept that. Along with gabapentin 100mg 3 times daily for anxiety, I also take celexa for depression, Prazosin, and Trazodone for nightmares and sleep. My doctor is resistant to benzodiapenes, though I feel I need them, never been an addict. I have tried Busbar and vistaril with no luck. Doc suggestion gabapentin. When I take it within the hour I feel relaxed and my thought process slows down. I had had racing thoughts daily before this. I am not crippled in my day to day life with anxiety that prevents me from functioning. I do feel like I could benefit from higher dose as I feel like my body is adjusting to the medication and not giving me the effect it originally had the first week. But all in all, I have no complaints."

kate April 16, 2019

For Pain: "Gabapentin was prescribed to me for sciatica pain in my right leg due to a herniated disc.  After my very first dosage (a small amount), I felt very weird. Within 2 hours, I felt needles and electric shocks in my left arm.  Nothing painful, just odd.  Shortly after, my thoughts were everywhere and I had troubles concentrating.  I went to sleep with no issues. I woke up the next day and couldn't move my left arm.  My shoulder was in excruciating pain.  I didn't sleep on it so I knew that couldn't have been the reason.  I asked my husband to come home to be with me because I was afraid of the thoughts I was having. The thoughts were frightening. Needless to say, I didn't take anymore gabapentin.  The bad thoughts went away by then following day but the painful shoulder remains one week later. Hope it eases up soon. Because now I have a serious pain on both sides of my body."

Tomgirl (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2019

For Insomnia: "I started taking gabapentin in 2005 for severe insomnia and within 2 weeks or so I started to feel better. My anxiety and depression were so much better also, I felt like a new person. I was taking 600mg once in the am and 600mg once before bed. After a while went by, I started getting very tired so I just take one at bedtime now. So far so good. I highly recommend this medication."

Rosie Vig (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2019

For Pain: "I was taking 1200mg Gabapentin daily for pain but the more I took the more my body became used to it and it slowed down in effectiveness. It wasn't until later I discovered that it also can cause weight gain. Along with another medication I was taking for anxiety which also had the side effect of weight gain I had gained 60 lbs. I stopped both of them."

Indigo64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Bipolar 1, with severe anxiety, and agoraphobia. I took Gabapentin 20 years ago and it seemed to help. Those were my wild days and was hospitalized. My family was convinced by a counsellor that I was an alcoholic which I wasn’t) so sent off to rehab. The rehab took me 100% off this drug and the withdrawals where horrible and it was 6 days of hell. Since then I’ve tried I think every drug out there with little help from all but lamictal and benzodiazepines. About 2 months ago my psych told me I was so severe he didn’t know what to do. I recommended let’s try Gabapentin and he agreed to try it. It has been wonderful and has helped me leave the house and cut down on benzos. Currently I take 300mg 6x a day. It’s strange how when I need to get up and going it gives me a mild lift with a mellow mood, but when sleep is needed it puts me down."

Jhuckmg (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Migraine: "I am 53 yrs old, male and have had chronic tension-type (mostly) headaches my entire life. Nobody has ever been able to help me with them other than the usual suspects like Tylenol, Advil (ibuprofen). Problem is that due to gastric reasons I'm not supposed to take Advil and that was a problem. I normally had headaches about 5-6 days a week. I've used Neurontin on and off for neuropathy but I never paid any attention to the effects on my headaches. One day I was on the phone with my 30yr old son that has the same headaches and he said: ”Dad, my Neuro put me on Gabapentin for my headaches and it works really well”. Hmm, I said. I said I will try it again and pay attention. 300mg Neurontin three times a day has given me a 98% reduction. Damn! I said I wish I had known this 40yrs ago. It has been a cure. Now my question is, how, how does it prevent my headaches?"

OhWhatPain (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "As little as 300mg, 3x/day, or less times a day (like whenever you find yourself sweating, take 300mg) will abso-flipping-LUTE-ly STOP hot flashes AND/OR menopausal/post-menopausal sweats/flushing, PERIOD. It also helps reduce side-effects of opiate withdrawal, if your doctor also idiotically prescribed them to help; this actually exacerbates the problem. Remember you’ll need to THEN WEAN OFF THE GABAPENTIN, once you find yourself free and clear of other problems. Per my pharmacist, THAT IS 25%, every 14 days; keep a mini spiral pad in your purse, with four columns: Date: Time: Amt: Symtms: Reduce by 1/4, every 15 days, except if you have hot flashes/sweats, due to menopause. In that case you may have to wean off and then decide if you can handle the hot flashes/sweats. If not, restart gabapentin at 300mg whenever you feel sweats. Maintain it til you find you can withdraw without sweats returning (I’m 57 and STILL am having post-menopausal sweats without gabapentin)."

Muse (taken for 10 years or more) April 6, 2019

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I was on gabapentin for my peripheral neuropathy but it gave me bad depression"

Skip (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2019

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "In 1999 I developed Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in my right foot, a complication of a surgical biopsy. In 2000, my GP prescribed Gabapentin. I tried it three times over two months. Result: Gabapentin did not improve my RSD pain at all, but did cause side-effects of a constant diffuse headache, spiking fevers, and drowsiness. I was sleeping more than 16 hours per day. My GP became enraged when I could not continue taking gabapentin. I know two reasons: Symbiotic marketing tactics (kickback to GP ceased when written Rx ceased). And attitudes taught by Pfizer (too long for here, but see UCSF Neurontin Litigation Archive). I kept a Patient Log of symptoms, diagnostics (Bone Scans), and treatments that succeed for me."

Tuum Est (Canada) April 2, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "I started taking Gabapentin for 6 years ago for my pain and nerve pain and Fibromyalgia pain and it is good. I learnt to not skip a day because the withdraws are horrible. The pain is worse then ever. I take 600mg 4 times a day."

De March 31, 2019