User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 2 reviews 295 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 52 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1273 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Hot Flashes: "I LOVE ❤️ IT!! I was on the virge of suicide. Hot flashes, night sweats ugh! No sleep ever! 300mg every night 3 weeks on it not one hot flash or night sweat and now I get 6-8 hours of peaceful sleep! Life is very normal now."

Outinlife (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've had bad anxiety since I was a teen (now 38). I was usually prescribed a benzo, their effective yet very addictive. Anyway, I take 800mg of gabapentin 3x daily with Prozac and they work very well together and I'm finally getting used to not having to take benzos anymore. And my sciatica pain is greatly reduced. God bless."

Friendly person from WB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Specifically asked MD if this med would have same side effects as I did when ran out of Cymbalta due to job loss no insurance. 'Oh no not to worry on this one.' Seriously? Agitated, angry...can you tell? and my feet and hands are worse after 3 weeks of "low dose" 100mg bid. Top of class, or bottom of class still a doctor."

AnnoyedWithDrugIndustry March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "So for it help with my anxiety. But with pain I wonder do it help with that."

Ctousant1956 March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Fell out of bed 3 times while taking this medication lucky my husband was Home to help me back to bed dizzy and confused"

Coygirl March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am a 67 yr old male. Had shingles about 2 years ago and my doc rx'd gabapentin. Gave only minimal pain relief. I've had insomnia for years but never sought treatment. Had tried benadryl, that made me sleepy but I would awake after 2-3 hrs. So tried one 100mg gabapentin and 25 mg of benadryl in pm. Fantastic! I sleep 7-8 hrs of restful sleep with no noticeable side effects. The normal higher dose had no added benefit for me and tended to make me slightly dizzy."

Doubt it (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Gabapentin is the best medication I have ever taken. I was put on Gabapentin because I've had unexplained upper back pain for two years. It's accompanied with a really annoying tingling sensation under my shoulder blades. I was prescribed 300mg three times a day. By day two the pain was 80% better. Day three it was gone. It was a life saver. I've never been happier. And then I had a weird day after a week on it. I have mild depression and anxiety but I've never had a suicidal thought in my life. There was this sensation that I've never felt before. I called into work. I couldn't move and kept having the thought of downing my pain meds with my bottle of whiskey. I immediately cut out the gabapentin and that feeling disappeared."

Walnutt (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "This is my second day of taking 100mg, 3 times a day. I tell you they've helped me with the pain. I can walk and sit up an sit down, with out being in agony. I've had sciatica now for over 2 years an in my back buttocks and legs. I would go to bed to sleep an wake up and couldn't go back to sleep because of the pain. That the pain would stay with me all day. I was taking codamols 30\500. Ibuprofen, an also using cream and hot water bottles too. All I ended up with, pain not shifting and a stomach ulcer. This new tablet I'm taking has helped me loads, like I said it doesn't get rid of all the pain but its such a relief that I'm not in agony any more. The Dr has put me on some anti sickness tablets metoclopramide that helps too."

felinelover March 11, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I am truly amazed by how well this works for my anxiety. I have PTSD, nightmares and waking up from them would ruin my day I would have flashbacks but ever since I started this new medication I feel normal which is something I am not used to it is definitely exciting to know that I don't feel anxious to the point of feeling like I can't breathe I feel normal and that is amazing.. I don't even feel that I need my Xanax. Which is a huge relief and I am so happy that I finally found a medication that can help with my High anxiety and PTSD without having to take so many benzo's"

Bigal0919 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "For years I could not pinpoint what was causing such cripling anxiety, insomnia and issues with focus and low grade mood issues. Then after doing some family geneaology, I realized I had inherited traits from a side of the family with the Bipolar Disorder. I quickly started taking Neurontin and within the span of literally 1 (one) day the issues started to resolve almost immediately. I can now drive, go out in public, interact with more people, get a great sleep and I have less racing thoughts than ever before. It has also helped manage and eliminate some nerve pain from a damaged nerve due to lung surgery in 2005. I also take Lamictal for my low grade moods. I have what is known as Cyclothymia, a unique form of the Bipolar disorder."

ScottishZen (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Multiple Sclerosis and have suffered from atrocious nerve pain in my back and legs that severely impaired my functioning and quality of life. My neurologist prescribed Gabapentin for the pain. I was skeptical that anything could help. I am on 400 mg a day right now, taken in 100mg 4x a day. I have been on it for about 2 weeks. I am already experiencing days of almost NO pain. A GODSEND. Interestingly, I am also rapid cycling Bipolar, for which I have been on Abilify. Though the Abilify has helped maintain my judgment, it has done nothing for my manic agitation and depression. I had NO IDEA this was also used as a mood stabilizer or I would have tried it sooner. In just 2 weeks, I feel even keeled and an inner serenity. Love this med!"

Anonymous March 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "My doctor (ENT) suggested taking Gabapentin off-label for a persistent cough. My cough has greatly affected my life style for years: sleep, eating, public outings (concerts, movies, etc.). I would rate my cough severity on a 1-10 scale as being 9.9, and the ONLY way I could receive help was from Codeine based cough syrup. Now, my cough with only Gabapentin is a 1-3. It has become a 'wonder drug' to me and to my family. However, there are some negative side effects but they are manageable: dry mouth, dry eyes and occasional constipation. These S.E's are well worth the positive effects of the intended drug. My dosage has been 200mg, three times a day for the past year."

zionfrost (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "This medication is...interesting. I am 20 with what a few doctors think is Fibro and a chronic pain condition but was Rx'd this by a psych doctor for tension migraines. While it does NOT really help with migraines, it has been making me awfully sleepy and drowsy, and helping with weird aches and pains throughout my body. It can be used as a mood stabilizer and I can see why- because it makes you so drowsy you can't do or say anything, especially after taking the evening dose! I've been afraid to drive any car since starting this. It makes me more drowsy than my anxiety meds which don't make me drowsy at all! I do take Fiorocet (non scheduled formula) for breakthrough migraine pain and that helps more...and thats basically just tylenol."

Chelseabergstresser March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "On Neurontin (300 mg 3x a day) for nerve pain. It's fascinating to read polar opposite experiences with this drug - depression/anxiety reduction, seizures/anti-seizure, pain/pain reduction etc. Apparently, too tight this will loosen you, too loose this will unravel you. I guess I was "too tight", this has been marvellous for reducing pain as well as anxiety. My only discomfort is that if I don't take it I go into a tailspin within a day or two, very (very) irritable, hyper-anxious and insomniac. I also find that increasing the dosage is, well, a little TOO pleasant, it makes it tempting to abuse it. Oh, one thing, I can see why this is called "GABApentin", if I take all 900 mg before bedtime I wake up chattering like a monkey. :)"

kib (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I started taking this medicine 3 days ago for back pain. So far it has been helping a lot. I'm takin three 300mg pills a day. Before this I had been in terrible pain for about 2 months. I've been trying everything I can to get rid of it. Opiates had been the only thing that helped, but I don't like to take addictive drugs if I can avoid it. I literally would just wait until I couldn't bear it any longer and then take one. But so far with these I'm feeling quite a bit better. The only negative is they definitely have some side effects. They made me a bit dizzy and queasy the first 2 days. I didn't get drowsy from them though. Now that I'm on the 3rd day the side effects seem to be milder. I'm hoping this will last along with the pain relief!"

Curveballaddyy (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "My behavioral health specialist (a physician's assistant) had recommended I try Gabapentin for many years, before I finally agreed. My life has improved, plain and simple! Originally prescribed in an attempt to address my chronic insomnia issues, in that respect (like all the other traditional & nontraditional Rxs/otc aids I've tried), Gabapentin did not help.. or at least directly. It Has helped with my chronic nerve pain & occasional restless less syndrome, absolutely immeasurably. I could feel a gentle change down my sciatic nerve within the first couple of nights (100mg, bid, initially). I've been on it for over 6 months (currently 200mg, bid). If I forget to take it, I feel like I used to all the time: achy joints, shaky/spazzy/tense legs when lying down, slight chest discomfort (like an almost panic attack), numbness/tingling in my extremities, purple feet in the shower, just arthritic really- which makes me not a pleasant person & not want to do anything. Gabapentin has been really wonderful & a positive drug in my life, which I cannot say about many I've tried. If you skip it, you will feel like a truck hit you (which is how I used to feel all the time). Other things I take daily: • Potassium supplement, helpful against muscle cramps • Vitamin D3 (3k iu's), helpful for mood • Propranolol (10mg, 2-3x day), helpful against anxiety & involuntary phobic "fight or flight" reactions"

Morrigan Tam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been treated with a combination of Depakote, Effexor and Wellbutrin before and I just felt crazier than I did before and gained about 45 pounds. So I got off meds altogether for about 15 years. Needless to say, as much as I wanted to live an unmedicated life, my rapid and severe mood swings were really making things difficult for me. After two failed relationships I decided I'd go to the doctor and give it another shot. I feel like a brand new man! I'm just beginning my second month. Month one I was on 200mg taken three times a day and I just was so calm and collected and took my time to react to things instead of flying off the handle. Now I'm on 300mg 3 times a day and this might just be perfect for me. Highly recommended"

Greedy hands March 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I'm receiving chemo treatments that result in neuropathy. I'm taking 600mg three times a day without relief."

redone12 February 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has changed my life. I also take Effexor. Diagnosed with bipolar. I feel calm, capable, confident, energetic, stable & happy. I was in a terrible state before I started it, severely depressed, anxiety, anger and I was even hospitalized for my behavior and suicidal thoughts. My only concern is what I've read about withdrawals but it is worth to me to have my life back."

JasNeeka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication is a godsend. Squashes my anxiety, racing thoughts, and depression! I also take a low dose of Seroquel XR and Prozac, which seems to be helping me tremendously."

Reese92 February 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Neuropathic Pain: "I was worried gabapentin would make me a zombie but to my surprise, it didn't. My pain management Dr gave me this for nerve pain in my face and fibromyalgia. It seems to help. I have been taking a very low dose of hydrocodone 2.5 to 5 mg as needed to take the edge off pain for several years. I don't like hydrocodone or the feeling it gives me. I don't like the sleepy groggy feeling. If I feel like that, I am over medicated. But a little bit helps the pain...maybe I am an oddball but I only take the opioid when I am in real pain. I also take 300 Wellbutrin XL daily which works okay. Nothing has really worked on my depression but at least I am doing okay. So I'll see how the gabapentin does. If it causes weight gain, I'll quit it"

BessR February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Gave me gas so bad I had to leave my own office several times throughout the day. I would wake myself up at night because the smell was so bad. If you value your social life, please don't use this. Other than that, it was great!"

jakalswitch (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I also have be prescribed gabapentin for neuropathy and most recently for 2 herniated discs in my lower back causing sciatica. The first month was fine and the only side effect was blurred vision and dizziness. Going on month 6 and having horrible insomnia, memory loss, lack of coordination, pain, depression, anxiety. Effecting my job, cannot stand more than 5minutes, 2-4 hrs of sleep max per night. I'm miserable."

Mdd1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I've been on this for 2 months sometimes the pain in my legs is so bad I want to chop them off. Gabapentin does nothing. I started to have memory issues about a month ago and was never warned about it. Why can they just give me my one Percocet a day and I can go back to work, be pain free and get my life back. This is awful."

Chris21 February 22, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "This drug worked well with my shingles...thats about it! they want me to keep taking it for pain and it does nothing for me! gotta see doc on Thursday so hopefully he changes that. 900mg a day and does nothing? I hate taking meds as it is if its not gonna help with pain y take it?"

snugj4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017