User Reviews for Gabapentin

Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced

1 review 54 medications
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 7.2 1,725 reviews

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Neuropathic Pain: "I was put on this for neuropathy. 5 weeks in at 900mg a day I’m no longer taking it. I broke out in hives all over my body. Things that looked like mosquito bites but no red dot in the center. That lasted a month. Blisters on my skin. Dry skin, always thirsty, my well being was off - like I never had before putting this pill in my mouth"

Josephga (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was originally put in this drug to get off of benzodiazepines. I realized it was helpful with my anxiety somewhat as well. My doctor decided it may be in my best interest to continue taking this medication for a while. Unfortunately I started to have severe swelling in the abdomen and insane water retention in my hands, face, and neck. I put on about 15 lbs in a matter of two and a half months, which ultimately led to me coming off of this medication. Within the first 24 to 48 hours my body was in full blown water ridden."

Chichi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

For Pain: "I was prescribed this for nerve pain in my mid back that radiated around my rib cage. I have 3 herniated disks, including spinal stenosis. I take gabapentin. I can honestly say it helps a lot for that, but not so much for other nerve pain. Not sure why this is, but I've been taking it for many years. I have weaned myself off a few times just to see how well it had been working but went back on it cause the mid back nerve pain came back. I tried Lyrica a while back instead but for whatever reason, it didn't work as well. Not every drug works for everyone. I gave it a mediocre rating cause it only seems to work on my mid back nerve pain."

mommywoman (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2019

For Insomnia: "I've had insomnia for almost 20 years and has gradually become more severe with time. I've tried Ambien (which worked for like 2 nights then only made it worse), Trazodone would either work well or make it worse, and then a bunch of OTC meds that are hit or miss. Gabapentin calms my mind which is the main culprit of my insomnia. I found it helps me go to sleep but at times I wake in middle of night and have to take another dose which helps me to fall back asleep within an hour. I may try to take 300mg a little earlier before bed and then one when I lay my head down to see if I can stay asleep."

sleepless in NC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2019

For Insomnia: "I have to say this drug saved my life. I had extreme anxiety and insomnia from an ear issue in May and Nothing was working. I finally started 400 mg Gabapentin 5 months ago. All is going well with anxiety and sleep but recently my sleep is a little unpredictable. My doctor says I can take up to 600 mg per day. I take 100mg at 10:00 am, 100 mg at 4:00, 100 mg at 9:00 pm and 100 mg at 1:00 or 2:00 am. I'm thinking I need to up my sleep time doses. Does anyone have experience with this?"

13bo90 February 7, 2019

For Pain: "Me: 55 year old male, healthy weight, swim, run, yoga, body weight exercises. Sitting job past 30 years. Got a herniated disc 5 weeks back, horrible pain down left leg. Couldn’t sit, get in/out of car or stand. Spent most of past 5 weeks laying down. Only outings were to doctors appointments and PT appointments. Chiropractor was worthless. Doctor prescribed Gabapentin 3 weeks ago, very slow ramping up of dose. I’ve had zero side effects. At 5 weeks pain has largely stopped, big change from 2 weeks ago. I’m currently at 600mg per day, expect to ramp over next 2 weeks to 900mg per day and stop there. Pain stopping is likely combination of rest, PT recommended stretches, body starting to heal and Gabapentin. Should note my primary care physician is a DO who has training in some body manipulation techniques that seem to be helping. Also taking 4 naproxen daily."

kens February 6, 2019

For Anxiety: "I usually rate medications low because of side effects and non-ease of use. However, I am very impressed with this medication. It goes in, does what it is needed for and didn’t impair me to where I was non functional which has been the case with a lot of other medications for me. Gabawesome!"

Anonymous January 24, 2019

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I started Gabapentin in 2010 with 400 mg 3X's daily. It worked tremendously for me. If I missed my dosage each passing hour my pain level increased. Once I took it again after an hour, the pain decreased. My pain management doctor eventually suggested increasing my dosage 100mg each increase until I took 800mg 3X's day in 8 yrs. Then I noticed a sudden loss of memory when I spoke. At 800mg's I became tipsy and began back stepping. Also, I felt the increase dosage wasn't meeting my need. I suspected a connection with the high increase so I decreased back to 400mg. At which time the negative effects ceased and the results for pain relief remained equal to the increased levels of Rx. which current is not sufficient because my Dr said that I eventually bottomed out and the Rx no longer served their purpose in my treatment regimen. I still take Gabapentin but I'm searching for something else."

Chronic pain January 23, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I was given gabapentin for RLS. The effects were useless. One night, my entire body was involved with the symptoms. Absolutely no relief at all. So I suffered the entire night and into the next day. "

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "In June of 2018 I was prescribed 300mg/ day of Gabapentin after having allergic reactions to other more effective drugs used to relieve the trigeminal nerve pain. Through the course of the next 6 months my dosage was increased to 3600/mg/day. Over that time period I began to experience pain in my feet, I'm on NO other medication. In Jan. 2019 I underwent Microvascular decompression (MVD) surgery so have been weaned off Gabapentin. I told neurologist about my neuropathy in feet but it was always discounted. Now, I have continued neuropathy in feet, hoping it will go away."

Ally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "Initially I started Lyrica which made fibromyalgia pain worse. Specifically the vastus medialis muscles above the knee cap. Ditched Lyrica for gabapentin. Take 600 mg morning & noon, 900 mg at night. The pharmacy supplies 300 mg capsules which I take 30-60 minutes apart. Raises the bioavailability for major symptom relief. This drug is poorly absorbed at high doses. 3x dose is not equal to 3x more absorbed by the body. Also take baclofen 10 mg X 2 /day This combo relaxes muscles , helps shut down my brain and induce sleep. Also migraine frequency is reduced from 10-12/month down to 1-2/ month. Miss a dose and it's so bad . Virtually guaranteed a migraine and certainly fibromyalgia pain increase. Side effects on GABA are brain slowness. Identifying thoughts is like trying to pick up an ice cube with oily fingers. Also it hard to get motivated to go do stuff."

Sparky January 15, 2019

For Insomnia: "I started this drug for chronic back pain, but my doctor prescribed it for night time only because of the supposed drowsiness affects. Being an insomniac, I was not at all opposed to possible drowsiness (excited for it, actually). Now it’s been just about 6 months and I love it! I take 600-900mg at night, normally just before bed (9pm) (higher dose if the pain is worse that day). I start to feel the calming affects within 15 minutes. I don’t think it really makes me drowsy, but I get the same feeling on the drug as I do after I’ve finished some yoga or meditation so it’s very tranquil and I usually fall asleep within a reasonable time frame (30m-1hr) and stay asleep throughout the night to wake up at 4:30am feeling refreshed and alert! I’ve not noticed any additional side effects (eg dizziness, weight gain, etc) and it works well for my pain!"

InsomniaLord (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I'm glad this works for some people, but this drug out me in a real dark place and I nearly died as a result. Withdrawal symptoms from stopping this medication without tapering off were terrible."

MM (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have tried and failed soo many times trying to quit drinking and they always failed , finally I ended up in a lock rehab ward . I was prescribed the Gabapentin( 300mg 3x a day) , I cannot explain the change in me it was like over night my desire\need for alcohol was gone . I am now into my 5 th month alcohol free life. I am very happy with the fact my automatic reaction to the need for alcohol is gone. I would encourage some one that has failed to stop drinking to give this a try it beats dying ."

seabee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have suffered from TN for many years undiagnosed. The pain is simply agonising and no pain killer including morphine has even touched it. I have recently suffered a particularly bad attack and ended up in A and E . The doc thought it may be TN and prescribed Gabapentin. 300 mg 3 x a day within 4 hours of the first dose the pain started to ease. By the next day it was probably 75% better after a few days and raising the dose to 1200mg per day the pain was gone. I also suffer from fistulating crohns and AS. I have also found some relief with pain related to these issues. For the first time in 20 years I am not reliant on opioid pain killers to get through the day. For the first few days side effects were quite strong but worth it. I have been lucky for me this drug is a miracle. Its been a short time so I'm not sure if things will continue to go so well. But for the moment I feel better than I have in years."

Lazlo45 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Neuropathic Pain: "Development of a foot ulcer gave me intense burning pain, around the site of the injury. Not being diabetic, my GP at first suggested 20mg amitripyline nightly. This soon expanded to 100 mg daily, with no effect. My meds was changed to gabapentin. A slow build up, to 900 daily. I was happily surprised when the pain eased. Beware.... coming off too quickly after two months, left me back to square one within two weeks.. The pain is still there, as is the injury. But I have reduced my meds to 300mg daily now."

Heinzbaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2019

For Pain: "Every time I took Gabapentin it would trigger of a migraine attack and I felt nauseous."

Andre (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Pain: "Very effective on nerve pain in my leg due to having 28 surgeries. It does not affect the other pains present in my leg (i.e. muscle, tendon, ligaments, numbness) but I noticed a huge impact on my nerve pain. I do not think it will help you much for pain unless your pain is nerve related. My only negative long last effects was weight gain and slow metabolism. The other negative effects went away after 6 months (i.e. blurry vision, dizziness, brain fog, difficult waking up)."

mindach (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2019

For Migraine: "I've suffered with chronic pain and headaches/migraines for 20yrs as many probably know after long term narcotic use for pain it eventually stops working.(Happy to have found a non narcotic solution!)went to the hospital with a migraine so bad, nothing worked for 7 hours at home and 4 hrs at the hospital with several injections of goodness knows what even in my stomach.They gave me this capsule less than an hour later my migraine was so much better, dull enough to finally get some rest. My pain management Dr ended up prescribing them for the nerve damage I have as well as a daily basis med to control my headaches/migraines that occurred. For 7 yrs Gabapentin has helped me to live without headaches/migraines on a daily basis. I still get one every once in a great while nothing compared to 5 of 7 day's I did prior. I didn't honestly have or notice any side effects the 1st time I had it as I was given many thing's the first time but no side effects once it became apart of my daily medication."

Zaylynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 1, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Everyone is different. I was on this for many years and the side effects do go away for most people. But I have trigeminal neuralgia and this is the most painful condition that someone can have (They call it the suicide disease because before treatments came out about 50% of people killed themselves. Some still do) Anyway, it worked really well for nerve pain thank goodness. (This disease does not respond to opioids) But at first the side effects are rough but it gets better. If you take it as needed then the side effects are going to be strong each time. Also, I could quit it (I had surgery that worked) but I just started back on it - day 3 now- and noticed that the side effects are stronger now that I am older. It's very uncomfortable but for me, it's worth it for a couple of weeks. It did change my life for the better."

tinak (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "It took me 7 years of Dr after Dr, after an assault to get diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia. The original intense pain slowly subsided but the itching, inside my ear, up to my scalp, down my jaw and neck were unbearable. I often tore my skin to bleeding. I put it off to an allergic reaction as it was intermittent. Benadryl helped to knock me out at night and by day I tried to constrain myself from scratching. When I finally got a diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia and put on gabapentin, it was like an overnight miracle. Shortly I began to have breakthrough episodes of itching. I am now on 300 mg at bedtime after 6 months. I did experience this month sudden hair loss including a huge patch on the opposite side of my scalp, which I hope is not related to the gabapentin. It does list "Hair disease" as a potential side effect. My Derm is testing me for a host of potential causes."

NotMyRealName (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "Hi I’ve been using gabapentin for 15 years I was on 1200 mg all I did was sleep, and lived in a brain fog. I am on 900mg now and I can’t sleep, of course still brain fog and in pain. Not quite sure what medication is good for fibromyalgia. I have tried several other medications for me nothing has really helped - unless I want to sleep all the time in which the gabapentin is fantastic."

Red (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2018

For Pain: "Good for a flare up when desperate. Seems like a decent band-aid. Can't imagine taking this regularly. Too many side effects. I was taking 100mg or 200mg at night only. Only took it 4 times also."

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

For Pain: "A useless pain killer, I am on 1500mg a day with no pain relief I have had spine surgery and been on this drug before and after with no relief. It has given me headaches ,no appetite thinking and now also depressed. Also I am tired all the time, my vision is really gotten bad. I am going to get off this rotten drug try to stand the pain."

j (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2018

For Anxiety: "My doctor suggested I get off Klonopin and he put me on Gabapentin. It has helped tremendously with anxiety before bedtime. The best way I can describe it is I suddenly feel calm and dreamy and like I can turn my mind off and finally stop over thinking. Much in the way a benzodiazepine would make me feel, but without feeling too dizzy or like I'm losing my memory. Another thing it has helped with is to slow down my drinking. I use to drink before bedtime to help me fall asleep (which has its side effects, but I felt it was better than tossing and turning all night)... The Gabapentin actually turns off that craving somehow and I don't desire any sort of drink before bed. I also somehow quit smoking. The one thing I can tell you Gabapentin does NOT work with are things like panic attacks. Taking a Gabapentin during a panic attack will probably do nothing, in comparison to a benzodiazepine. It will reduce anxiety in a more general sense though."

Mitch December 12, 2018