User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 2,118 ratings on Drugs.com. 65% of those users who reviewed Gabapentin reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Postmenopausal Symptoms  Off-label 9.0
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced  Off-label 1.0
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 7.2 2,118 reviews

Reviews for Gabapentin

Chris March 4, 2021

For Insomnia: “Am I ever gonna be able to get off this after I've started taking it? Is my body going to build a tolerance? Will I need to take more? I can't continue to sleep 2 to 3 hours a night raising a 15 year old non verbal autistic grandchild. Insomnia just came on in the last month”

Gessy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “Almost immediate relief at night from the neuropathy in feet and lower legs. As weeks passed, an improvement in the lumber pain from spinal stenosis. No noticeable side effects.”

MikeyD March 3, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “To the commentor called TJ below asking about a natural remedy... I have just started taking Sunflower Lecithin, which is supposed to help support and rebuild the nerve's myelin sheath. My neuropathy has been less severe. Will keep taking it. I also take magnesium, ALA, and collagen. Research and consult your Doctor.”

Nasmum · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “Started Gabapentin 4 weeks ago for shoulder and neck pain and it hasn't helped at all, started off on 3 x 100mg daily and worked up to 3 x 300mg daily. My eye sight is foggy and my eyes flicker, also have daily headaches which aren't fun at all but when I take any headache tablets they react with the gabapentin and totally wipe me out. I'm coming off them as they're not helping :(”

jake t · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “Have taken gabapentin 1800mg a day for three years. It wasn't until my daughter was put on 300 mg a day for migraines that I saw the connection to no more headaches for me. Had constant mild to severe headaches for twenty years. The headaches stopped when I was put on gabapentin. So far daughter having milder headaches/ migraines after ten days of 300 mg a day.”

BJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2021

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: “Have had RSD since 1994. Handle it with constant movement, Aleve and tylenol (don't use narcotics bc they slow everything down in your body and numbs your life!) Severe wrist injury caused onset of rsd. However, prior back and pancreas injuries put me way over the edge. With this combination of visceral injuries, my life has been difficult to say the least. Have handled it for years with numerous medications, meditation, biofeedback, and just pushing through the pain! Now my routine has all of a sudden become unbearable by affecting my sleep habits at 3:45 am. I wake in severe (10) pain with burning, sharp and dull pain in my arm, back, legs and stomach area. Used to take neurontin years ago (10yrs). Got 7 hrs of sleep and feeling some relief after taking 1 300 mg capsule added to my Aleve n tylenol (I'll take it!) Feel like a new person right now. Getting a break in that pain cycle is great! I know it won't last, but nice right now.”

Gemini-star · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2021

For Anxiety: “Gabapentin is highly effective for me calming my anxiety and giving me a sense of control. It is one of those drugs that its effect kick very fast. Yes, like any other medicines gabapentin has side effects depending on the condition of the person. For me I least amount of side effects.”

Elly February 24, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “On my first two weeks of 300 mg Neurontin for restless leg syndrome I noticed an immediate effect. My legs stopped wanting to urgently move around in the middle of the night. The symptoms currently are not all gone, I still want to pace sometimes, but it is vastly improved. It helped with my pins and needles too. The dose got raised to 400 mg and I'm experiencing greater symptom relief. In the beginning I didn't think it was great for insomnia, but with the higher dose I'm experiencing more ease getting to sleep. I'm still waking up in the middle of the night. However, I'm willing to try higher doses to see if I can fall asleep, stay asleep and sleep longer. I have tried Trazadone and it did nothing for me, mixtures of melatonin, Banophen and cold medicine. I had Klonopin and Ativan for emergencies but the doctor won't prescribe it. The doctor has no trouble prescribing Neurontin. I also experience no side effects, so I am hoping time with further treatment will help.”

FinallyFree67 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “Bipolar II male finally finding out how to take Gabapentin correctly. Have painfully suffered most of my life with anxiety and depression. Was prescribed 3x300 mg. a day in divided doses for anxiety. Out of convenience I took one dose am and two doses together pm before bed. What a mistake. I began taking one of the pm doses with dinner and what a difference that made. Anxiety and depression GONE! Bless all of you.”

Cindy February 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “I suffer from Bipolar type 2, chronic anxiety and PTSD. Also addiction disorder. I’ve been on gabapentin for about two months now. When I first started taking it at 300mg 3x a day AS NEEDED I didn’t think it was helping at all, other than feeling dizzy. Then it was increased to 600mg 3x a day SCHEDULED about a month and half later. I’ve been taking it as scheduled for about two weeks and I definitely notice a big difference in my anxiety levels. Anxiety is nearly gone! I wake up in the morning feeling pretty great compared to the past when I would wake up with anxiety as soon as I opened my eyes! I would definitely recommend this medication as a scheduled med. Only drawback is I think it has something to do with my snacking in the middle of the night, which is causing weight gain.”

TJ February 19, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “I have had neuropathy which started as tingling and numbness in my toes and progressed gradually for over 20 years. Now the pain is unbearable most of the time and while it sounds crazy to say, I hurt constantly but my feet, legs, hands and arms have lost almost all feeling and sensations to touch. I have been to doctors and neurologists and pain management for years and have been prescribed gabapentin many different times at different dosages and at first (early on in my neuropathy)It seemed to work but after a while I started having a lot of memory issues brain fog and even a lack of balance and motor functions. After quitting the gabapentin therapy my head started to clear up and I was able to regain some motor functions. I have now been on opioids for pain so long that I have to take too many to function. I am now on a mission to find some other kind of relief!!! If anyone has tried something natural that works I would love to hear what it is!!!”

Jawbo February 16, 2021

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “Dr put me on gabapentin 100mg, one capsule three times a day, after 2nd pill the pain stops, worked great for 4 days, then pain returned. What to do?”

Wabisabi February 15, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “Great information and feed backs from taking Gabapentin. I've been taking Gaba since 11/20 that had a bad side effects first. My doctor's advised me to take on 100 mg a low dose up to 600 mg. It worked great for few weeks...then my legs were driving me crazy again. The doctor told me to increase to 300 mg after dinner 900mg in bed time. Again, I was not able to function day time because of a bad side affect. So last night I skipped 300 mg, only tool 900 mg bed time, but I still had a same side effect today. Gabapentin supposed to help sleep deprivation, but my case isn't working at all. I take combinations of CBD, CBN and THC at night and working good to sleep. By the way, I'm 75 yr old female never thought about taking cannabis in my life ever!! Finally, I want to let people who have RLS, please join RLS Foundation.”

Skip · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

For Peripheral Neuropathy: “Have taken this medicine for over 2 months it eases my pain but never seems to stop it. I find my arms and legs going numb. I also have developed cramping in my feet and also muscle twitching in my shoulders and back”

Equirdr · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

For Fibromyalgia: “The worst drug I've ever taken. Severe adverse reaction within 24 hours - stopped taking and filed an "Adverse Event" with FDA. Thought I was going to have to call 911. Will never take again-EVER! It should be taken off the market. Since there is all this hype about opioid abuse it seems "gabapentin" has become the "go to med" by doctors. Most patients with chronic pain, fibro, etc. DO NOT ABUSE prescribed opioids (well documented in scientific research publications). Would give a -10 if that was possible.”

Skeeter · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 10, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “Been on gabapentin 600 3x day. At first it worked, my nerve pain was reduced. I had spinal cord injury and this no longer works. Either higher dose or get off this. I think it's getting worse with this.”

Blewee0813 · Taken for 10 years or more February 10, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Gabapentin helps with my bipolar depression better than any other antidepressant or antipsychotic I've ever tried. It has improved my mood in ways nothing else has come close to.”

Blueme52 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

For Pruritus: “I'd had prescribed Dupixant and after four years I reported a few severe episodes of symptoms that I suffered prior to receiving Dupixant. My specialist agreed that the symptoms returning (one requiring hospitalization) were reported by other Dupixant users. He also acknowledged that over time Dupixant does suffer reduction in effectiveness. He immediately prescribed gabapentin and triamcinilone. A near complete return to that 'state of physical and psychological well being' that accompanied the initial, post experimental test subject, use of dupixant years ago ensued.”

Vanillaslice · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For Neuropathic Pain: “I have been taking gabapentin for two weeks and it has been a wonder drug for me. The itching and tingling from shingles on my face has all but disappeared. I am sleeping better, I could not tolerate lyrica. I also have cervical dystonia and over the years have tried many drugs to ease muscle pain and tremors. This drug has eased all of the above. I hope I don’t have any side effects further down the track. I am coping better than I have for a long time.”

CherylAZ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “This drug did little to help my pain and made me sleepy and moody. I found no relief whatsoever from it.”

HBerry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2021

For Anxiety: “This is the best medication for anxiety that I've ever tried. You know what it makes me feel like? Like when I was a child before I developed anxiety. I spoke freely. I didn't worry about being judged. So now with this med, I'm not analyzing every word that I say before I say it while panicking that I might say the "wrong" thing. I speak freely and comfortably again. I am myself.”

Wlac · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2021

For Hot Flashes: “I took gabapentin at bedtime for hot flashes. I still had flashes, insomnia, and I woke up with extreme sadness and mental anguish. I will stick to CBD drops.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

For Peripheral Neuropathy: “I have just begun a lot of gabapentin schedule. I have nerve impingement in the ulnar track not carpal tunnel. I have numbness and tingling in my forearms and most of my fingers. I have been prescribed gabapentin before but shied away from it when it made me so drowsy. My care provider suggested a lower dose and see if I can deal with that and then maybe work my way up. I want to know if anyone else has received relief in the way of return of feeling and flexibility of fingers after gabapentin. I do not really have pain as a lot of neuropathy patients do but I do have some shooting sharp flashes from time to time. I'm really hoping gabapentin can work and I plan on taking it through the next month thanks. Feedback welcome and I know it's different for everybody.”

Cat Lady Di · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 27, 2021

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I have been taking Gabapentin (Neurontin) for over 5 years, 300mg, 2x daily. It was prescribed by my rheumatologist for fibromyalgia pain originally. It helped immensely, but was no help with the trigeminal neuralgia, which I've had from childhood. Of course, the TN was not diagnosed until I was 70, after many bouts of extreme facial and dental pain. Luckily the dentist sent me to a surgeon who said I needed to see a neurologist. She prescribed Carbamazepine, which helped briefly, but soon I developed side effects. I had gotten to the point where the TN attacks were occurring every two to three weeks. Now I am on Baclofen 10mg, 3x daily, and it has just about knocked out the attacks. I still take my Gabapentin without fail, daily. I learned the hard way that without them, I have pain all over from the fibromylgia and now rheumatoid arthritis. It probably kept the TN pain controlled for many years.”

Reborn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2021

For Anxiety: “I am being treated for treatment resistant depression, GAD with panic disorder and PTSD. I have been on many different combinations of meds with no relief. My psychiatrist recommended a more aggressive approach, electro convulsive therapy. I went home feeling defeated and cold turkey stopped all my meds. SUPER BAD IDEA!! I had very bad "discontinuation effects" they don't call it withdrawals but it very much was. Luckily I have a supportive husband who helped me find a new doctor. She asked if I had tried gabapentin. I had never heard of it. I started at 100mg 3 times a day and am currently at 1200mg 3 times a day along with 225mg effexor and 45mg remeron for sleep. I no longer suffer! I haven't had a panic attack in months and my mood is generally very good. I love the fact that I can still feel too. I still experience a full range of emotions appropriate for the situation. I laugh, I cry, I get excited, I get scared. I feel in control of myself for the first time in years.”