User Reviews for Cymbalta

Chronic Pain

Back Pain

Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.6 1,193 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Anxiety "This medication honestly changed my life. I thought I was fine while taking it, so I went off cold turkey. It was the worst experience of my life. I took my 2 pills after about 9 days off. After an estimated 3 hours, I felt like my normal, happy, non-anxiety self again. I don't recommend it to anyone though. I tried about 4 different medications before Cymbalta was the one that helped me. Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2018

For Back Pain "I have been a nurse for the past 30 years, and my job requires me to be on my feet for 90% of the time I am at work. Also at times we have to do heavy lifting and yes we learn safety techniques to do this, but sometimes you still end up with a back injury. I myself suffer from Lumbar Stenosis and after about 10 minutes of standing I begin to experience very heavy lower back pain and sometimes both my legs get numb. So my Neurologist prescribed Cymbalta 30mg once daily, at first it was amazing, I had zero pain for the first time in 5 years. But it was short lived, after about 1 month the excruciating pain was back, so the dosage was adjusted to 60mg once daily. Again it worked wonders but after 1 month the pain was back. So this medication did Not work for me."

Scrub Nurse (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2018

For Anxiety "About 8 years ago I was going through a major depression and anxiety and bipolar and OCD all wrapped in one. The psychiatrists I had been seeing tried using the old school drugs Zoloft etc. Nothing was helping so I checked myself into an inpatient program. Then the miracle happened. The in house Psychiatrist put me on CYMBALTA. He explained that it differed from the older medicines in that it affects two parts of the brain. I experienced very little side effects and within a couple weeks I was feeling like my old self. It truly is a miracle med in my opinion."

Comeback Kid (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2018

For Depression "Cymbalta has radically changed my life. Prior to taking this medication, I wanted to end my life due to severe depression and anxiety. After a couple weeks on this drug, my mind began to shift. I am now calmer, more balanced and happier than I'd been in years. I feel so much more level-headed. It allows me to associate more meaning with people, things and activities in life. My relationships with coworkers, customers and people around me have been strengthened. I used to never talk to or invest my time in other people around me and now I actually enjoy socializing. It even helps me in other strange ways like making me more organized, keeping my apartment clean, getting rid of junk I don't need or use, etc. I thank the universe for leading me to this drug."

Darksoul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

For Depression "This medicine has changed my life- I suffered from severe panic disorder and anxiety. I can now function and actually feel normal. I have had no side effects from cymbalta."

Laur laur (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

For Anxiety "I had several side effects including nausea, fatigue, sweating, nightmares, elevated blood pressure, and constipation."

Brie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "I take 60mg a day for Fibro and can honestly say it helps. It doesn't take ALL of the pain away, but reduces it from an 8 to a 5/6 and down to maybe a 3 when I'm not having a flare up, which I'm grateful for as I'd rather have some relief than none. The only negatives to this are that I now grind my teeth worse than ever when I'm asleep, and it can give me horrendous nightmares, so I've been given Amytriptyline to take at night as well to see if that stops those side effects as I'm not keen to stop the Duloxetine (Cymbalta)"

KaznDaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "I have had significant joint pain ongoing since 2012. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and spent the next three years going through a host of every med available. None of them worked and many made it worse. I went to the Mayo Clinic in 2016. The top RA doc there after running many tests said he didn’t think I had RA, but Sjogren's disease. He suggested I try Cymbalta for pain, but was so tired of meds that I honestly just toughed it out until a few months ago. I have been in excruciating pain - mainly my feet and hand joints for six years. I grudgingly found another RA doc who would treat me (Mayo wouldn’t) and the first thing he said is that he felt my autoimmune condition was likely fibromyalgia and suggested I try the Cymbalta. Amazingly, it has been a complete game changer. Within the first month, I could tell it was working. I am now in almost zero pain and have had no side effects that are worth mentioning. I have nothing but positive things to say about this medication."

Heidigr11 July 23, 2018

For Depression "Switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta. First week was at 30mg, followed by 60 mg. I has side effects almost from the start, insomnia, anxiety. nausea, loss of appetite. Stayed at 60 mg for 4 weeks. Dr decreased to 40 mg and prescribed Sonata to help with sleep. Zero effect from the Sonata. It's been about two months since starting the Cymbalta and I'm ready to get off of it due to the side effects. Not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms I've been reading about. Others may have had success with this med, but I have not. I would not recommend."

121GW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety "Dealing with severe anxiety and OCD my whole life, I decided to try medication when I turned 20. While my first few days on Cymbalta (10mg) were torturous, probably party due to mental reservations about taking a pill every day (I experienced vomiting, headaches, dizzy spells, nausea, inability to sleep, and complete loss of appetite), I'm SO glad I stuck with the drug. Now I am on 80mg, and without sounding completely corny, I feel like I'm finally the person I'm meant to be. Since starting the pill I've started rock climbing, learned to drive, and just become a much happier, friendlier, and more confident person. My friends and family have all noticed a huge shift in my personality and I'm so thrilled I went on cymbalta."

LJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2018

For Anxiety "I've had 2 occasions on anidepressants. 2010 on cymbalta 60mg for GAD. Weaned off after a year. Last Friday bad anxiety after drinking. Dr gave me .25mg xanax 3x a day & 30mg Duloxetine 1x a day. Dr said I could start with 60 but I felt that was to high to start. I've only taken 1 dose of the xanax Friday. On Sat the 30mg Duloxetine. Xanax helped 4-5 hr & tapered off I'm told quicker cuz I smoke cigs. Sat feeling anxiety in waves so took 30mg Duloxetine @ 2:30 PM. I had a slight dry mouth & some slight dizziness by 8:30 PM. But I actually feel pretty good. At tolerable anxiety level. Is it possible that 1 dose of Cymbalta actually made my anxiety start to dissipate already? Or maybe my body just eventually kicks out the anxiety like it has in the past & I don't need meds. Did I jump the gun taking that 1 dose of Duloxetine? I wish I knew because I don't know what to do now with the meds. I really hate taking them if I don't really need them"

Loupags July 15, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "In the last couple of months since starting this med, I've noticed I've felt and acted a lot better. My caregiver has remarked how much better I'm doing. I'm even thinking about leaving the house, which is very unusual for me. No side effects that I've noticed but I rarely have any. So far so good. Hope it will work for me for a long time."

mommymouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "My experience has been only positive"

Sue (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2018

For Chronic Pain "The first time I tried Cymbalta it gave me severe stomach pain all day and night. I got no sleep. Sadly it does not work for some. So depressing. Not cheap either."

natashaissad (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For Depression "Started Cymbalta 30mg/day, after 3 doses I became horribly ill. Severe abdominal pain, headache, nausea, (could not even keep sips of water down), palpitations, weakness, extreme fatigue, insomnia, foggy cognition. Flat on my back for 60 hours. Could not sleep, just lay in misery. I am better now but still not 100%. This is a dangerous drug. The pharmacist said my reaction is rare, even so, I would recommend against it."

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Please DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!! I took my first tablet 30mg of Cymbalta yesterday at about 11 am all was fine until about 6pm that night while I was sitting at the dinner table about too eat dinner I felt very dizzy, my eyes went very blurry couldn’t see properly, couldn’t eat, couldn’t speak was vomiting constantly shaking had the worst headache didn’t sleep all night still feeling some of these symptoms today. This drug is terrible and I don’t know how doctors can prescribe this to anyone!!!"

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Anxiety "I've taken duloxetine for a few weeks. Sometimes I have feelings, like my head is light, as if I had no thoughts there. Then sometimes I have a million thoughts which scares me...has someone similar feelings? I take low dose, only 15mg."

zuzana (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have trigeminal nerve damage and have been on gabapentin for awhile, but it is causing me to gain a lot of weight. So, my doctor recommended Cymbalta. I only took one pill and knew I did not want to take anymore. It made me extremely sick...nausea, sweating, blurred vision, restless thoughts, unable to focus. This was terrible for me. After being off of it for three days, I still am finding it hard to focus and my eyes are not quiet back to normal. I am only in my 40's too. I would highly suggest you do your research before taking this medication."

Meshawn (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’ve been on this med for 4 years (I’ve been on every dose but I’m now on 60mg) and have tried a number of other medicines including: Lexapro, Paxil, Wellbutrin, amitriptyline, and Abilify just to make a few. I was diagnosed with MDD, GAD, and Panic Disorder in 2011 (when I was 18). I’ve been on a lot of drugs and this one has been the best one for me so far. I mean of course I’m not cured or anything but it makes life much easier and it doesn’t make me as pessimistic and gloomy about life. I still have bad days and I’m still struggling with apathy and things like cleaning and showering but I do it and my life isn’t as bad as it could be so I really can’t complain.* *disclaimer: I’ve been in outpatient treatment twice and go to therapy once a month so that plays a roll as well I think."

Jujubee93 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

For Back Pain "This medication is a nightmare for me. It did help a tiny bit with the pain but it had side effects. I became MORE depressed while I was taking it, plus it made my already moderate to severe tinnitus extremely bad - it sounded like a million crickets were chirping along with several lawnmowers in my head at all times after the first few days on this med. I am now being titrated down and I will never take it again. It also totally wiped out my short term memory. I'll deal with the pain in other ways, this just isn't worth it! I'm glad it works for some people, though."

birdmom9726 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "Would like a drug for lupus that actually will work to stop severe fatigue and stop body aches-constant lupus flu. Everything seems to wear off mid-day. Taking more doesn't seem to help. Need better drugs for inflammation not fibro pain."

SLE-PAIN June 7, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Cymbalta worked for Anxiety/pain like a DREAM, for about 4 months, then my system learned to anticipate it and within a month it was as if I was off my meds when I wasn't. It was awful. No dosage increase helps, they put you on a combination of meds to 'get you by' for a few months, then back on the cymbalta, but now it only works for 3 months, and so on. As great as I was on it, the drop of effect was 10x worse. (it also took 1 month to build up and drop off in effect). I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy."

NeverAgain (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "After learning that I suffer from fibromyalgia, I researched (not googled) clinical studies and reports of people who tried different methods to ease their fibro symptoms and I decided to try Cymbalta. My fibro symtoms Cymbalta is meant to help: depression on and off for 5+ years, trouble sleeping through the night for 7+ years AND feeling tired constantly throughout the day, and extreme muscle fatigue and aching the last 1.5 years. It made me really nauseous for a few days but within a week I felt good enough to start exercising, which I hadn't done without pain in over a year. I began with just some water aerobics, and walking on a treadmill. My pain is no longer extreme all-over aching, it's more sore muscles from beginning to build my strength again. I do still feel tired all the time because my sleep is still very poor, but I feel less anxious/distressed/depressed. Most importantly, I'm not in pain so I can get back to normal life."

dawn19825 May 29, 2018

For Anxiety "I take Cymbalta 10 days. First week was good, bud today I feel worse. I had something like panic attack...has someone the same experience? Will it get better?"

Bobulocka (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Recently was put on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia it was the worst experience of my life. I had explosive diarrhea could not even leave the house anxiety went through the roof. Felt manic and my heart rate went up sky high and I already suffer with insomnia and this made it totally impossible to sleep I felt angry and jittery. I would not recommend this drug it was horrible experience"

Miss Molly (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018