User Reviews for Cymbalta

Back Pain 6.0
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.4 1,452 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

Regina July 29, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg daily for almost two weeks for anxiety and depression. I have taken the medicine two times before with no side effects. This time however, my first week side effects are were diarrhea, nausea, unable to eat much, worse anxiety and hot flushes in my chest causing a bad panic attack. New thing for me. Never had this hot sensation in my chest before. Second week felt a little better for two days then boom hot flushes again throwing me into another panic attack. This one milder than previous week. I’m so confused. Not sure whether to keep taking or not. Scary stuff when I get these hot flushing sensations across my chest and heart rate goes up.”

WSR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “CYMBALTA changed my life. I started using Cymbalta for severe chronic lower back pain. My pain was so bad I considered suicide on many occasions. After failed back surgery, over the counter medications, epidurals, spinal ablation and everything else imaginable, my pain doctor prescribed Cymbalta. The side effects from Cymbalta were horrible, but within 2 weeks my back pain completely disappeared. I still deal with the side effects and Cymbalta is a highly addictive drug that is near impossible to withdraw from. I have come to terms with the alternatives and have decided Cymbalta is worth all of the negatives. It has saved my life.”

Hoffa khan July 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “It’s helpful”

Mazie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

For Back Pain: “Prescribed for back pain. I was told I have to start with 30mg. and in a week increase it to 60mg. After two days on Cymbalta, I knew I would never make it. I got sick almost immediately - stumbling, brain fog, diarrhea, jaw pain, headache, and nausea. I told my doctor I wanted off but she said to take it "a few weeks" before I went up to 60mg. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I stayed on it for a few more weeks, but didn't get better and it actually got a lot worse. I called my doctor's office and told her I wanted off. There was no way I was going up to 60mg. Since I had never increased the dosage, I immediately went to every other day for a week, then stopped. The withdrawal was every bit as bad as the reaction to the pill. There is finally a slight alleviation in the symptoms, so I've decided just to wait it out. MY RECOMMENDATION: My experience is this is the worse pill I have ever taken. Bottom line? DON'T TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Depression: “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

For Anxiety: “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Always In Pain · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Cymbalta is somewhat costly. Initially prescribed for lower back pain. The first 2-3 months, it worked VERY well. It helped with the back pain, and, improved my general mood. Bonus feature, it was helping with my permanent migraine. I had only a few side effects, at first, but, they started building up. Insomnia to the point of 15 minutes of sleep, or less, per day (for over a month), spontaneous ejaculation, cold sweats, no sex drive. Started to get a few electric shock-like sensations in the extremities. Started to feel zombie-like. I came off the stuff cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms included MANY shock-like jolts to hands & feet (for about 6 years), a few months of a zombie-like feeling (Low drive) I'd rate it GOOD for a short-term use (1-2 months). Anything longer than 3 months, I would strongly advise against. (As any other anti-depressant)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Not good. Try to change your situation without using cymbalta. If you cannot exercise to relieve your pain then try deep breathing and relaxing music, books or walking. If you are bed ridden, pray and use mindful thinking. It requires time and dedication. Learn stretches with deep breaths but be careful to not break or injure yourself.”

Nicki · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I personally loved this medication. Although it didn’t really help with my back pain, it helped with my anxiety as well as depression. It took almost a numbing effect, so I wasn’t feeling the emotions as strongly as I used to. But I’ve heard it works differently for some other people. I recommend trying it out, thanks for reading.”

Jo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on Cymbalta for about a year now and just recently increased dosage from 60mg to 90mg because of depressive episodes during quarantine. I've not had problems with the drug until now. I recently have started having trouble staying asleep, although falling asleep hasn't been an issue. I've also wet the bed which is extremely unusual as I haven't done that since I was a child. Overall, it has helped relieve suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks, but the higher dosage side effects are really making me consider going back down to 60mg.”

GoobersMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Depression: “I have been on 60mg Duloxetine daily for 1 month, 30mg daily before that to wean off Effexor. The Duloxetine was so ineffective & the withdrawal from the Effexor was so bad that I had to take both for about 6 weeks. Now with no Effexor I am back to feeling no effects from Duloxetine. I'm painfully depressed and have sudden bouts of extreme anger & irritability. I cry all the time, have no appetite, and hate going out in public. I've been on every antidepressant on the market. With Duloxetine, I might as well be eating Tic Tacs.”

Julles43 May 26, 2020

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “Took Cymbalta for severe nerve pain. (Hemangioblastoma removal inside spinal cord @ C4,5,6). It worked well for the pain and I had little side effects. Came to a point my doctor and I decided I didn’t need it anymore. Then the fun began. I don’t care what kind of issue you have or how much pain you are in - DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! Trying to get off this was the worst thing I could ever have imagined and it went on for months!! The list of symptoms was long and bizarre. I can’t stress enough how bad it was...please, please don’t take even 1. PS To Loulou: after being deathly ill for weeks I called my doctor, again, and they told me to just start taking it again and start tapering off again at another time! What?!? No frigging way so I suffered through almost six months of horrid withdrawal. It does go away, I promise! You aren’t alone - I felt EXACTLY the same way you do now! Hang in and do not start taking it again!! Good luck to you!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

For Back Pain: “I had previously got steroid injections for DDD and hip problems all caused from earlier undiagnosed injury as a child. Later in life turned into severe arthritis and facet joint issues. I am only 38 years old. The injections made me feel like a puffer fish and weight ballooned from fluid retention. However it got my inflammation down. So after speaking to my doctor and not wanting to resort to these injections again she tried me on Cymbalta. At first I will say side effects were odd and I felt awful. Helped immediately with weight loss however and after 2 weeks I started to level off and be able to do things I hadn't in almost a year. I literally couldn't bend to pick up my baby. Everyone is different but I have pretty severe back issues daily and for this to be as positive as it was after the first 2 weeks has made a great impact on my life.”

Anonymous May 25, 2020

For Back Pain: “I have fibromyalgia, the pain was so bad that I wanted to die!! I started taking 30 mg and worked up to 60mg , after one week at 30 I could already tell a difference at 60 mg I no longer have any pain and I'm very happy, the only side effect I have is a decreased sex drive ( I'm male )”

Martinb · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2020

For Depression: “I tried SSRI (paroxetine) for couple years on and off. I was off the drugs for couple years and then I decided to try SNRI drug first Effexor and then Cymbalta/Dulexotine. I took it for about 2 years. Taking this drug felt horrible. When I finally managed to got off of it (with extreme withdrawal symptoms). Immediately after getting off the drug I had these leg pain and tingling in my feet and was was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I was 30 at the time and have no history of Diabetes in my very large extended family. Love to hear from anybody with more to say about this… Something tells me my usage of SSRI and mainly the SNRI is what brought about my T1D diagnosis. Anybody else with similar story? What are your thoughts about this? Thanks”

Clmtqm · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “After thirty years of taking Effexor which did not help my MDD, it was recently revealed to me in a Gene test from GenoMind in my Psychiatrist/Neurologists office that my body cannot take Effexor not several others, and that Cymbalta would be effective. I tried two others the test suggested, but stopped due to terrible side effects. Cymbalta 60mg along with critically depleted in MDD patients Methylfolate 15mg, and Ace-L-Carnitine have given me my life back. Although I think it’s causing night sweats, it has taken the edge off of the stress from chronic pain, as well as, PTSD, and I’m more calm and at peace. I’m able to shower, eat, and leave the house again. It’s been a miracle for me. Not perfect, but definitely a life changer.”

Jonny May 19, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I suffered from crippling anxiety and depression for 8 years, in and out of hospitals, ECT, nothing seemed to work. I just felt absolutely hopeless. Even the sound of birds hurt my ears. I was so deep in the darkness and tried everything. Every med. You name it. Then Cymbalta came along. It took a long time to kick in. 12 weeks but when it finally did it killed the anxiety . It came with crippling fatigue though for the first few weeks but it was amazing to sleep without panic attacks for the first time in years. I just countered it with a ton of coffee. I have been taking it for 9 years now and it is really messing with my stomach and intestines. It didn't for the first 5-6 years but now it's bad so time to get off it. First week weaning and it's a real tough go, dizzy as heck, brain zaps, really weak and tired, can't focus, grumpy for no reason, but it will pass if I push through. Even with the hard withdrawal, this med gave me another chance at life when I needed it.”

Nick · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I haven't been on Cymbalta very long it seems to be helping my major depression I was put on Wellbutrin first and the anxiety I didn't know that I had went off the rails. The only side effect that have noticed is a strong bitter taste when ever I eat.”

Amira · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Cymbalta has been the worst drug I've ever been on and was irresponsibly prescribed by my dr for chronic pain. I was on it for 4 months and it didn't work at all. To make it worse I almost died from withdrawal because my dr took off for 3 months and left no one in his place to write my prescription. Therefore I went into withdrawal, which he never warned me about. This drug is worse than any opiate. If you take your medication responsibly you shouldn't be denied other more helpful medication.”

megnezzo0315 · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I was prescribed Cymbalta 30 mg for Fibro & nerve pain. I took one pill. I had never had a panic attack in my life until taking this medicine. I took the pill at 10:30am. At 12:30 I couldn’t catch my breath. My heart started pounding. My vision became a tunnel and I felt like I was about to pass out. The only thing I could do was lay down and breathe deeply. Things calmed down, I get up from the bed and wham! It hit me again. This time however my skin started burning. My chest and arms felt like they were on fire. I couldn’t breathe again, my vision went tunnel like again. Ringing ears, pounding heart. Even my feet started itching really bad. The panic attacks were severe. The ER told me I had to let the medicine run its course and they gave me a xanax to help calm the panic attacks. It took 18 hours. The xanax helped. It was the Worst day and night of my life! The doctor said my reaction was not a normal reaction. I couldn’t believe one single pill did this to me.”

FatedToPretend · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve been taking the generic Cymbalta for just over four years now to help manage my Major Depressive Disorder* My current maintenance dose is three 30mg capsules taken by mouth once daily, which totals to a 90mg dose/day. Overall, I’d say my experience with Cymbalta has been a positive one. I don’t particularly suffer from any of the listed side effects. Compared to other anti depressant-type medications, in my opinion, I would say Cymbalta in particular “kicked in,” the fastest, to where I started feeling better than the previous anti depressants I’ve been prescribed in the past. Cymbalta isn’t the common SSRI we’re all familiar with, this medication is an SNRI, which means it not only works to boost your Serotonin, but also Norepinephrine (also known as Noradrenalin and/or Noradrenaline). I personally find for my body/my brain, I do better with SNRIs than with SSRIs, but that’s just me personally.”

jas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 26, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve had Major Depressive Disorder for years, and Cymbalta genuinely gave me my life back. I had tried so many medications, therapy’s. I had been hospitalized 4 times, and nothing worked. Until I started Cymbalta. I remember being afraid of how happy I was. I didn’t know I could enjoy life like I was. I have experienced no side affects, and I thank god for this drug everyday.”

Jaciakky · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

For Anxiety: “This drug Cymbalta certainly helped turn my life around. Starting on 30mg I moved up to 60mg after a week and stayed on that for a year or so. It completely cured my anxiety and helped me sleep. Side effects were -difficult to hold on to pee, constipation and tiredness. Also bad night sweats. This dose was great for my anxiety but it didn’t keep the migraines at bay so I was still getting flare ups about 3 times a week so was upped to 90mg but within 3 months I was back to 2/3 migraines a week. So up again to 120mg. On this dose I had no emotion; I couldn’t cry or feel sadness or happiness. I just felt numb and weary. But no migraines! The side effects are too much so I’m back down to 90mg. Migraine is just under the surface and breaks through 1/2 times weekly. The plan is to reduce Duloxetine so my anxiety is under control and then add in another med to deal with the migraine. I would recommend this drug for anxiety but not quite so good for migraine so it was a compromise.”

PennyQuick · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “Taking Cymbalta is like having someone turn off the switch that controls my anxiety. It’s hard for me to comprehend how I lived with constant anxiety for most of my life now that is controlled. I will say this is a medicine that you must commit to taking as prescribed. Missing doses will bring the anxiety back full force.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

For Anxiety: “I nearly died taking this drug I took one 30mg tablet and felt like someone had hit me in the back of the head after that I started getting brain zaps apparently that’s what they’re called by the Doctors in ICU It made me feel very sick and unwell but I thought it would wear off by 6 o’clock in the morning the next day I called an ambulance I was vomiting, shocking, cramping even though I hadn’t eaten or drunk anything except for water they took me straight into intensive care my sodium levels had plummeted and they put me straight in for a brain scan I was four days in intensive care. They said another half an hour and I would’ve had a massive stroke I was 49 at the time, The doctor said it had damaged my brain and they don’t know how long it will take to come good if ever I felt alright after about a week never take this drug you can die from it”