User Reviews for Cymbalta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cymbalta.

Osteoarthritis

Chronic Pain
6.1

Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.6 1,116 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Back Pain "Do not recommend. It made my back pain somewhat diminish at a major price. Side effects: Short term memory loss, severe headaches, severe hair loss (my shower drain clogs from all my hair that is falling out!), chronic numbing/tingling right arm, dental issues, body odor, extreme sweating and body heat spikes, complete loss of sexual interest, extreme fatigue, insomnia, malaise, more hair loss, constipation, confusion, technicolorish disturbing dreams, felt like I had the flu, ocular issues of dry scratchy eyes and floaters with flashing lights, weight gain. Had to then take a Benzedrine to sleep, migraine meds and a chemo nausea control drug. Had no get up and go. Flatliner. Just weaned myself off of Cymbalta and feel like myself again!"

Debbie W. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2018

For Depression "Great for my fibromyalgia, anxiety/depression A plus"

rebjen Take for fibromyalgia January 17, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have Gen. Anxiety and Major Depressive Disorder. I took this med 5 days. I would not recommend this to anyone. The side effects were unbearable. I'd talk about mine but they already cut them. They rushed the testing time for side effects and rushed thru FDA. This med is also found addictive so come down dose slowly if you need to stop. God bless to those ppl that it helped."

clueless18 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on Cymbalta for just less than a month. It has been a life saver for me. I have C-PTSD, brain trauma, anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I've taken more meds than I can even remember. Cymbalta us working great and no side effects. I can go out in public now without anxiety attacks and I'm not sitting on the couch afraid to move. Good med for me. I take other meds also and was taken off of Klonopin. I know have more energy and happiness."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Cymbalta worked great for me and I'm blessed that it did. I had read many reviews of those unable to take it for various reasons and that scared me but my Dr. suggested I try it and I'm so glad I did. For 16 months I had zero anxiety and I went through hell for part of that time. Things were going so well I decided to get off of it because taking it had negatively impacted my BP. I went from 60mg to 30mg for 30 days and then started 20mg. During the time I was on 20mg I had my first anxiety attack in 16 months! I'm back on 60mg and hoping once a few weeks pass of being back on maintenance dose that the anxiety will go away again! Wish I had never tried to get off of it!"

Hoopita (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Didnt do much for OCD, Social Phobia, and other anxiety issues."

yearsofocd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

For Anxiety "horrible made me so sick and weight gain of over 30kgs. caused nausea and migraines. Would give a 0 if I could almost ruined my life and made it almost impossible to work and enjoy life"

Aliceeee January 4, 2018

For Anxiety "Cymbalta was not a medication for me. Instead of helping me, it made me mean. I took it for a few days but that's all the time I needed to see the horrible side effects."

Clubqueen (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

For Depression "I have been on so many different antidepressants because of my heart tablets I have just been put on over a year ago. I'm also going through menopause which doesn't help and adds to lower sexual sensation to the mix. I found a lot of other antidepressants gave me bad side effects then I have been put to try duloxetine as my very last resort as all the other meds haven't worked so far. So good sensation is a little better, depression is better. The only side effect I get are dry mouth but only been on for a few months but feel al ot better but again everyone is different"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

For Anxiety "I have severe anxiety and this drug made me depressed to the point of hurting myself and thinking about suicide. I’m not a depressed person, I’m usually a happy go lucky person. Everybody reacts different but that was the worst 3 weeks ever."

Anxiety20 December 11, 2017

For Fibromyalgia "let you know this week. Start taking tomorrow. Looking for reviews before I start."

MPHCHCHSH December 3, 2017

For Anxiety "I really love this one. Suuuper effective in so many ways. In particular, helped me get my depression and anxiety under control. It is included in my “concoction” of medicines, and just recently I tried cutting it out of the equation. -Ever since stopping it, I am back to crying regularly. Very sensitive and unable to control my emotions. I had trouble DRIVING because I was so overwhelmed with anxiety and terrified of getting into a car accident. Irritable, angry, sleeping 12 hours again. Depression is a bitch. I highly recommend giving this one a shot. *BEWARE* This drug makes you unable to sexually climax. (Which is why I’m seeking an alternative)"

Gabrielllllllaaaaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

For Anxiety "Within two days of starting Cymbalta, I had 'flashing lights' in my peripherals (which didn't go away for two years) and nausea. Not that big of a deal. But on day three, I was hit by an insane attack on what I assume was my central nervous system. I felt like my chest was in an ice bath, my internal temp dropped several degrees, my groin felt like it was on fire (burning/cramping), I started shaking and sweating and went into full blown panic. After taking a week off, I tried the drug again. Same thing. Absolutely awful. My doctors/pharms had never heard of these side effects, which were worse than my symptoms (anxiety-related feeling of throat/tongue swelling). I switched to Effexor (SNRI), which finally worked."

ahtnamas November 23, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this to help with my severe anxiety and in hopes it would also help my chronic pain. I think I'm allergic to it because in 2 hours of taking it I got a stabbing pain in my head and the light made my eyes burn. I could barely even say this to a doctor because along with barely being able to string two words together I had intense nausea with cramping and it wasn't until the ER had the lights around me dimmed enough for me to try and open my eyes I realized my face was pretty swollen."

RookSun (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

For Anxiety "I've suffered from anxiety and depression off and on for most of my life. I've tried many antidepressants (mostly SSRI's) without success. The side effects of these drugs were unbearable (mainly acute insomnia and panic attacks). Finally, after 30 years of intermittent mental suffering, despite running 30 miles a week and seeing a therapist on a regular basis, my primary care physician prescribed Cymbalta. It is a miracle drug. Although I've only been on it for 3 weeks, I'm already feeling relief from a major depression that started 6 months ago. I no longer have suicidal thoughts; negative, obsessive thinking; panic attacks; and I sleep like a rock. the world is so much brighter - I feel a sense of calm, contentment, and happiness."

Jane Cahill (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

For Depression "I was taking Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months (along with Lamictal, which I still take) to get rid of the depressive side of bipolar. It made me super down and extremely on edge for weeks. I was on 20mg."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

For Fibromyalgia "If I could rate it lower I would. This drug shouldn't be on the market. The damage it has done to my body is never going to be fixed."

AussiePythons (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am 24 I was experiencing chronic anxiety ، severe muscle tension، fatigue and problem in concentration for about more than year. I did not know exactly the reason for these symptoms. At first I thought it could be a physical problem in my body. but after some medical tests my doctors suggested me to visit a psychiatric doctor. So my p doctor recognized my problem as General anxiety disorder and prescribed me cybmalta. first week only one 30 mg from second week، two 30 mg per day. after 2 weeks، it started to work . after 5week ، excellent...I was almost the man who I was before anxiety!!!but after a while its performance a little decreased for 2 month. again after the third month ، again it started to getting better slowly. after 6 month، I am really calm"

GAD- (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2017

For Fibromyalgia "Took cymbalta for years for my fibromyalgia n depressions n really helped with the fibromyalgia but I started getting more depressed and my doctor put me on low doses n it help with the depression but not the fibro n after a couple of months he would increase the dosage. This kept going on for years until I decided to stop because I started having terrible dark thoughts. It scared me cause I did not want my daughters to find me dead.Took me over 2 years to eventually stop."

SK99 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2017

For Anxiety "I tried to go about my life without being on an antidepressant, but life didn’t seem very liveable anymore. I tried Lexapro, and though it stopped the heart pounding and shortness of breath, I was still very depressed and always exhausted. I also went from 130 to 150 pounds in about 2 months. I switched to Cymbalta and everything changed, I have never been happier. I wake up full of energy, which is something I have never had. I have also lost the weight I gained! Like others have said, everyone is different and medications will affect you differently. I was surprised to hear my friend had a bad experience with it. I very much recommend at least trying because it has helped me so much!"

Ame19 November 5, 2017

For Depression "These capsules enhanced made me feel worse. I am gradually removing these awful meds from my life. The withdrawals are so intense that it leaves me incapable of driving, gives me spasms and brain zaps, uncontrollable shaking and twitches. Do not ever even start taking Cymbalta."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 2, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I been on Cymbalta for almost a year and I have no anxiety or depression I really didn’t have any side effects except nausea but other then that the meds work great I’m happy with it "

Lisaplummer32 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2017

For Fibromyalgia "I have taken this medication for about 2 years now and it has helped me tremendously. Yes the first two weeks were hard due to nausea and diarrhea however because it controlled the pain I stayed with it. I weaned myself off at one point to make sure whether or not I still needed it but within a week of being completely off of it all the pain and muscle weakness came back so I went back on it (no side effects this time) and the pain went away so it works for me. However the Dr. said that I was his only patient who had the amount of relief I experienced with the lowest dose. I also have Lupus (SLE) so it helps with the joint and muscle pain there too!! I say give it a try as I experienced the pain relief almost immediate"

PM04 November 1, 2017

For Anxiety "All I can say is try it and don't take all reviews at face value - not everyone has brain zaps and puts on a ton of weight because everyone is different. All I know is I suffered from major anxiety and depression (tried to get by without meds for some time). I had fluoxetine and citalopram - the first only helped with depression and the second gave me heart palps. Now on cymbalta I am feeling normal and wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. The first week was a bit crazy, felt like on a bad trip. Then felt great for a week, then low again for two and now I am fine (Taken them for about 8 weeks now). I also have the motivation now to lose weight which I have done so I am fairly optimistic. 8 stars because haven't taken it long term yet."

Beaudy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

For Chronic Pain "3 Months and so far this drug has helped me more than PT, steroid shots, yoga, massage, traction, ibuprofen and patience. The side effects were challenging to begin with, but once the first few weeks had passed by, I was feeling pretty normal and back to my old self again. I can't describe how grateful I am for this medication and it's helped me to no end. Don't believe all the negative reviews, but take note of the positive reviews too."

Socallynsey (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2017