User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Anxiety 134 reviews 63 medications

Chronic Pain 68 reviews 111 medications

5.9
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 903 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Depression "Made me very sick to my stomach, couldn't eat anything without wanting to vomit. Sedated too much to the point I didn't want to get out of bed all day. Also gave me insomnia. (30 mg)"

Pl24 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Add on to 30mg mirtazapine. Cymbalta taken in morning. 1st day: diarrhea, very stoned feeling all day, slightly more anxious. 2nd day: slightly more depressed and anxious, a little less stoned feeling, slight constipation, sexual dysfunction. 3rd day: extremely depressed...worst I've ever felt. Suicidal. 4th day: same extreme and worsening depression. Couldn't handle it, stopped taking it after 4th day. Worsened depression to the extreme. Don't know if the side effects would've lessened, but couldn't take the extreme depression. Sexual dysfunction also added to depression."

Frankly July 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I was prescribed 20 mg of Cymbalta three days ago. The agonizing pain in my knees is virtually gone. Not kidding! All the negative posts almost made me quit. Don't give up. I was offended that my doctor prescribed this medication as it is an antidepressant. I convinced myself I wasn't suffering depression I was suffering from chronic pain. Come on people! Who, if you are in chronic pain isn't depressed? I couldn't do anything anymore. I couldn't get out in the garden, couldn't cook for my family, couldn't walk up or down stairs without leaning on the rails. I know it's too soon to tell but I know it is doing what ever it's suppose to do in my brain to cut out the pain."

SandraDV July 21, 2016

For Depression "Then everything went haywire. Psychiatrist kept me going until I was at 120mg a day. Depression worsened, experienced disassociative episodes (foggy memory while on these episodes where I do not remember certain events), increased headaches, insomnia, irritability, and suicidal thoughts. I'm appalled that my psychiatrist thought it was ok to keep increasing the dose until it was more than double what I was taking initially (20mg) despite symptoms getting much worse. During this time I also had 0 access to adequate talk therapies, whether in a group setting or 1-1 with a trained counselor. I am absolutely sickened that these dangerous drugs are promoted as a band-aid fix all solution when talk therapies are completely disregarded."

Worked for about a month... (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I started taking Cymbalta one month ago and saw positive results almost immediately. I was injured in a rear end collision 18 years ago"

scoz July 18, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "I have been taking Cymbalta, 60mg, for approx. 2 years. I also take Amitriptiline (I don't know how to spell it!) as well. My Fibromyalgia pain has lessened so much I sometimes think it is to good to be true! My sister was diagnose with Polymyalgia Rheumatica at about the same time and was taking Predisone. She had no relief. I told her to have her primary doc to test the Fibro pressure points. Long story short, the doctor put her on Cymbalta and she felt relief within 1 week! Has finally been able to sleep better and lift her arms over her head. This medication has pretty much saved my life. I have been treated with bipolar disorder successively for many years, but noticed that since I have taken Cymbalta, my outlook on life has improved"

Sadikens July 13, 2016

For Depression "I went on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia pain and depression. I never had any real early side effects like nausea or vomiting, but I have gained 15 pounds. My meds have helped me and I don't suffer from as many days of dreading to get out of bed. Cymbalta has helped me greatly and if some extra weight is the price I have to pay to be happy then I can deal with that."

Birch bitch July 13, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I had such terrible pain and lost my ability to walk. My Doctor put me on cymbalta and within 48 hours my pain had decreased. I had to up my dose from 20 to 30 and everything is fine and I am walking and my back and pelvis pain had greatly decreased. Thank God for the drug cymbalta."

Ponchita (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

For Anxiety "I'm on at this time 1mg alprazalam 3×a day. And Cymbalta 60 milligrams once a day ever since I started taking the Cymbalta my anxiety my mood my pain it all feels way better. I used to take 8 or as many as I needed bars a day for my anxiety. Finally got into a psychiatrist I was so freaked out that they were going to prescribe me Xanax for anxiety because doctors are so blah blah blah about it because people screw it up for people like me that need it well the Cymbalta lowered my Xanax use basically in half I think it's really more mental on my part and the Cymbalta has been really good for me I had one time that I went off of it for 2 days because I couldn't make it to the pharmacy and yes my anxiety came back in full-blown anxiety."

Lonely0420 July 12, 2016

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "I have a amputated left arm I have horrible nerve pain ,the doctor I just saw started me on cymbalta I have only been on it a week and have not noticed any different yet how long does it take for it to work?"

No Arm (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Depression "I have tried many many different meds for anxiety and depression.I have been taking this for a month now and it has helped me so much. I have less anxiety episodes and feel much happier and relaxed."

ontnurse2 July 11, 2016

For Depression "I was hopeful when starting this medication, but it was overall ineffective. It made me sleep a lot, gave me horrible nightmares which piggy-backed off of my PTSD, and made me sweat profusely in my sleep. When I first began the medication, it felt like my muscles were weak. My limbs would shake and i'd also feel as though I couldn't hold my bladder. The nightmares were the worst part. I'd wake up screaming or crying."

AmphyAlexis (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Do not give to people under 18 the black box warning is true I was put on this when I was 16 (i'm 19 now) and it made me want to kill myself to the point of hospitalization. Even though that side effect may be rare it does happen. Do not think it won't happen to you or your child because it's so rare. Im blessed to still be alive today. It makes you messed up beyond words. Should never be given to young kids. It ruined my teenage years. It ruined it!!!I am dead serious too!!!"

Macyyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "Cymbalta didn't help with my pain it only made me feel like zombie, I'm trying to get off of it and it's a nightmare. I'm removing 7 beads from the capsule every day and feel soo sick. I feel like I'm going to die at times"

SherryK72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

For Back Pain "I wanted to write this in the hope of helping others. I've been dealing with chronic back pain that got a lot worse and intolerable the last few months. I couldn't sit, or drive without back spasms and shooting nerve pain. I was at my wits end. I tried a medrol 5 day pack, it didn't seem to help much. My doctor suggested a low dose 20mg of cymbalta. I was desperate so I thought I would try it and it's made a major difference- almost immediately. The side effects were bad for about 3-4 days, super tired, yawning non stop, very fuzzy, and no appetite. But I've been on it now for almost a month and I'm back to light workouts, and able to do mostly normal things. It does effect your libido though. My Dr also recommended Valium at night."

Sinclair45 July 1, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I have been on Cymbalta for 5 years. I am bipolar and found it to be an excellent SSRI for depression. I also have osteoarthritis with 2 replaced knees before 50 years old. My meds were being changed around (which we do now and then for efficacy) and I came off the Cymbalta. By day 2 I was in agony. Every joint in my body ached and I was in terrible pain. I went back to my Psychiatrist and by that point he had heard about the connection. I went back on Cymbalta and by day 2 I was up and working in the garden just like before. Absolutely no pain."

plkc2244 June 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had been on Zoloft for 8 years before it just stopped working. Doctor switched me to Cymbalta and I was very fortunate that it worked, really well for 6 years. Unfortunately, my insurance company switched approval for this to the generic version, which absolutely is not the same. It slowly started losing efficacy. So my doctor had to increase my daily dosage (on the generic version) from 60 mg to 90 mg. At 60 mg, I had didn't have sexual side effects, but I did at 90 mg, which was not acceptable to me. So back down to 60 mg I went. Now I'm having "break through" symptoms again: anger, irritability, lack of interest in things. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm pretty sure I have to switch meds completely again."

Time for a new med (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2016

For Chronic Pain "i was skeptical. Other meds had not worked for pain. The pain from spinal stenosis and other arthritis and nerve pain was decreased the day after I started taking it. The effectiveness diminished after a month so the dose was increased and it is working well . I have decreased other pain meds, can walk better and am able to do much more"

deba114620 June 18, 2016

For Back Pain "My grandmother was suffering from back pain from many years. One of my colleague suggest to take the treatment from Delhi Pain Management Center. After that, we visited over there. The back pain specialist treat her very carefully. Within 10-15 days my grandmother get rid of pain."

loisejot (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "After years of hell and sensitivity to so many meds, paroxetine, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, citalopram, amytriptiline, carbamazepine, lithium, sodium valporate, lamotrigine...finally...finally...im on Duloxetine and its working with No side effects...no sweats, no vomiting, no stomach cramps, jaw clenching, loss of sex drive...I cannot believe its actually working and both lifting my mood and killing the pain "

Bazslass1303 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2016

For Chronic Pain "i have taken cymbalta for 5 days now , worked a bit to take some sharp pains away but side effects outweighed the good , i started 30mg dizzy headaches very upset stomache very gassey burping and farting , i had alot of pain along beltline from my belly button all the way to the left side of hip , today i passed bright red blood with clots 3 separate times, i had one other time months ago with severe pain same location and passed blood then too , both times i was on cymbalta so today i got googly and found that cymbalta can cause abnormal bleeding in intestines stomach etc and mixing drugs such as aspirin can increase risk of bleeding , it reads bleeding can get as bad as having a life threatning hemoriage , rxlist.com is 1 source"

mr pain June 15, 2016

For Depression "Initially went on 10mg Escitalopram for 6 months but besides improving my mood, it worsened my memory, made me apathetic/demotivated and gave me brain fogs all day. I then went on Duloxetine and the dosage was increased from 30mg to 120mg over the course of 7 months. Duloxetine increased my motivation, mental energy and attention without any brain fog or memory issues like from Escitalopram. But the downside is that Duloxetine started making me robotic, socially withdrawn and hinder my creative thoughts. At 120mg, it started to negatively affecting my memory so the sweet spot for me was 60 - 90mg. Wasn't perfect but it worked better than Escitalopram for me."

Heinstar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

For Depression "Vomiting, headaches, loss of energy, Suicidal Thoughts, and urinary cramps.. my doctor wants me to stay on this six to eight weeks though before he will let me try gabbapentin. Military doctors must get paid a bunch to prescribe this mess!"

Feed up June 12, 2016

For Depression "6 months of problems with Cymbalta/Duloxetine & so sick and tired that I've thrown them in the bin and with no help and advice from my GP. even though I know that 'cold turkey' from snri's could damage my health. From the outset of taking this drug I had chronic diarrhoea. This lasted 4+ months and have now been diagnosed with microscopic colitis despite no previous gastric problems in my life. I've gained the best part of a stone in weight, I was drowsy and sleeping during the daytime. The drug did not vastly reduce my anxiety or depressed moods and did not help with any pain that is caused by my osteoarthritis of spine & knees. Withdrawal symptoms seem to be minimal,10 days of cessation, so fat experienced a little tearful and irritable."

Sandra478 June 8, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "So I gave it an ok review score because it did make feel less depressed. However, as a whole I think cymbalta is bad for you and can lead to terrible health consequences. The side effects I experienced while taking the drug (30 mgs for 6 months) were horrible and I gained a ton of weight which didn't help the initial cause of me wanting to take the drug - depression (when you don't feel confident your less happy, what can I say). A few lbs to become a happier person is ok, but it really made me gain weight and also made me tired, nausea, sweaty, and experience muscle spasms. Along with this, withdrawing was horrible. I wish big pharma would be less money hungry and focus on creating effective medications with reduced side effects."

cymbaltaisbad June 8, 2016