User Reviews for Cymbalta

Back Pain
6.1

Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.6 1,167 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have only been on Cymbalta for 1 day. Took it later last night, think I slept okay but woke up foggy brained, zoning out, nauseous, blurry vision, slight increase in anxiety and a bit snappy... won’t be taking anymore of this. I will figure out a different way to handle my panic attacks. Letting the Dr. know ASAP! 30mg at night is my dosage. Anyone else have these experiences right away??"

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Anxiety "This drug was absolutely amazing when it worked for me. I started to notice resolution of my severe anxiety symptoms within a week with little to no side effects. Before I used this medication I was living in a constant state of anxiety where I would feel off balance most of the day and constantly fear that I was about to pass out. My chest would be tight most of the day and I would get sharp, shooting pains all over my chest area and I would feel like every day I was going to die and even more so when I would try to go to bed at night; I was certain that I wasn't going to wake up the next day. Also, I would feel like everything around me was sped up and I would get shortness of breath frequently through out the day as well as panic attacks and somehow I managed to function for two years in this living nightmare before I went and got help for myself."

mark May 13, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "I was prescribed Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I took it ONCE before bed and ended up having a grand mal seizure at some point during the night. Woke up with muscle pain in my limbs and back so severe, I could not sit myself up for 2 days. The only other drug that has ever caused this reaction was Demerol. I would proceed with caution if you are going to try it. Thank goodness I didn't take it before driving!"

ranchnumber51 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "I started taking Cymbalta for Chronic Pain. It helps along with my pain meds. Plus, it also helps with depression (a bonus). I hurt worse before I started taking 60 mg."

Carrol (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2018

For Fibromyalgia "Worked reasonably for awhile, despite the side effects like 0 sex drive, intense sweating, and something close to hemophilia like bleeding from tiny cuts. I just kept taking it for 3 years or so, because the BIG ISSUE is the insane withdrawal even from missing one dose. Trying to quit was a nightmare. Went from 120mg down to 30mg over time, which was pretty bad. Eventually just threw it away for good and spent the better part of a month in serious withdrawal condition. 5 months on, and I am worse than I was ever was when starting it. The withdrawal process has triggered so much anxiety that I am now stuck with, and don't know how to deal with or get rid of. Thanks Dr for not warning me of any of this."

MizzBlack (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2018

For Depression "I've been on Cymbalta 60ng for about the 5 years, it was working fine for me I thought - until people started telling me that I was snappy. But I had a lot of trials in life happening all at once. Any how I decided to switch and what a nightmare it has been. New Psych tried me on Lamictal for a bit, that made me hyper and jittery, so I thought I'd try zoloft since my sister has been on it. Sometimes meds can work the same.. but, Yikes ...not for me..I'm in an awful depression and working on getting back on Cymbalta, what I hope will, work for me. I guess the old saying goes, "if it's not broken why fix it?" I will keep you all in my prayers and hope you will do the same. "

El (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

For Anxiety "Three to four years ago my terrific wife thought my behavior was changing (mostly impatient) while I was taking EFFEXOR so my Dr had me try Cybalta & my mood improved according to my wife. I also have mild-moderate depression and this drug also took care of that as well as my anxiety (occasional panic attacks--really scary). Now none!! Now the not-so-good-news. I believe the drug is attributable to increased ED, lower libido, tiredness, occasional brain 'zaps' (1-2 times/month on average usually at night when I first try to go to sleep, they last a few seconds but frightening nevertheless), Overall I recommend but realizing some of these situations could occur."

jimmyg (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was on Cymbalta for nearly 4 years. I was on the 60mg and just after I turned 40 I began the drug not realizing I was heading for the most horrific experience of my life. After stopping it I had it all... the vomiting, nausea, headaches (migraines ), insomnia, brain zaps, nightmares , fever, loss of appetite... flu . It all came gushing at once. It was 9 days of hell so far but each day it’s getting better. I have never craved to go back on it and threw it all down the sink. No doctor helped me go off it. I made the choice. It was the best decision. I had attributed my night sweats and hot flushes and weight gain to me turning 40 even though the doctors had done the tests and it said I was not premenopausal. To think I decided to stop it because I couldn’t deal with the weight gain even though I had tried , Yoga, meditation, exercise, eating healthy. I gained about 18 pounds. Please think twice before going on this drug. The coming off doesn’t outweigh the lesser pain."

mishiegov April 29, 2018

For Depression "I started on 30 mg and am currently on 60 mg - first few days on it were awful, with bad insomnia, nausea/headache, fatigue. However, after ~5-6 days, most symptoms subsided (except the insomnia, which I use melatonin for). It's been about 2 months and I have to say this medication has been life changing for me in terms of my mood/thoughts. I used to have such dark thoughts and a negative outlook on life, assuming the worst in people and hating everything about myself. That has completely changed and I can say for the first time in YEARS that I feel truly, completely, happy. This happiness is different, because it persists even when not-so-great things happen in my life. I will say that the anxiety still lingers but honestly its effects on my depression make the anxiety super tolerable. I hope this medication works for others the way it worked for me - time will tell as far as how long this will last."

myopicwizard April 29, 2018

For Depression "I have been on cymbalta for about 8 months. It makes me feel numb and I don't care about much. I am coming off of it and it has been hard to do."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2018

For Depression "I need to try 60 mg, I've only been on 30mg"

tonlow April 23, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I had two major strokes 4 years ago that caused permanent central nervous system damage, severe depression and anxiety. I had RLS, "needles and pins" pain, sharp stabbing pains, shaking, quivering, lack of motor control, and more. My neurologist and surgeon suggested I take 30mgs of Cymbalta, (Duloxetine), once before bed for pain. Since I started it two years ago, I am now about 80% pain free. The spasms and intense nerve pain only come when I am very fatigued. The only side effect has been some hot flashes and insomnia but I take Melatonin to sleep. Originally my doctors suggested OxyContin but I'd heard it was addictive so I tried the Duloxetine for pain and it works."

Extreme nerve pain (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2018

For Depression "Just took my first dosage 30 mg at 10pm last night. Woke up at 7am and have thrown up 4 times since. I go from sweating thru my sheets to shivering in a ball. Feel like I have the flu. Don't think I'm going to take again. Have a young child and stuff to do and cannot accomplish it feeling like this."

Anonymous April 19, 2018

For Anxiety "Since my retirement life has taken a few major turns. Deaths in the family, reduced income, children with problems, greater interaction with my bipolar wife and aging finally brought me to a point of high anxiety. Ativan too much so doc started 20mg cymbalta. Still at 20mg, and any side effects were too mild to identify. I started calling it my "don't give a poop medicine" because I found I could deal with my wife's constant 'need' by just not caring. Just finished my taxes and any thoughts I had of discontinuing soon were wiped. Reading through these comments, I have seen the cluster of minor side effects that I was not associating with cymbalta. Afternoon fatigue, spaciness, headache that responds to water, unusual constipation and dream/wake state coupled with extended drowsiness after a normal nights sleep can be attributed to cymbalta. I was beginning to get anxious. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I assure you that at least one person has benefitted and is grateful."

PapaDan April 18, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Cymbalta worked quickly to reduce depressive symptoms, ie. Deep sadness, lack of motivation, adheadonia,etc in that I would rate it a 10. I had been on it about 1.5 yrs & was taking 120 mg /day when my Dr didn't call in my Rx for a week. I had no idea why I felt so icky. I called my neighbor and he diagnosed me with cymbalta withdrawal via the Internet .Nobody told me that this drug has physically addictive properties. The symptoms abated once I took 60 mg. So I stuck with 60 mg a day & called my Dr for a taper. It is awful ! To all those that have just started Cymbalta know this - you have @ least a 50/50 chance of having " discontinuation syndrome " on dose reduction. Read the site on Eli Lilly's hx with Cymbalta lawsuits. Read everything you can before you take your next dose The world is so unpredictable. Do you want to carry the burden of addiction &withdrawal in a time of crisis, insurance changes, medical illness or injury ? I don't."

Mary S April 16, 2018

For Chronic Pain "My MD prescribed Cymbalta for me for arthritic pain and depression due to multiple sleep disorders. I need knee, arm and hand surgeries as well. Cymbalta is not helping. I started with 20mg. Horrific nausea. Waited 48 hours, re-started with 10 mg as I separated 20 mg capsules into two doses. Took the 10mg doses three more nights. The nausea has not gone away. Tonight after missing yesterday's 10mg dose, the nausea has lifted a tiny bit. Also I have had trouble with urination and that apparently is another side effect. I will not take this again. Today I researched this med. Seattle Times April 8, 2018 has run a story condemning pharmaceutical companies for doing no research regarding side effects and helping people stop anti-depressants. No thanks, I am focusing back on art, exercise, diet, and maintaining friendships."

Artist (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

For Depression "This medication was a nightmare. My doctor prescribed it to me, I had terrible side effects, I was literally high off this medication, I was so dazed and didn't know what I was doing, my business partner found me wandering completely unaware of what was going on, I stopped taking it and I was back to "normal". I wrote a letter to the FDA to warn about the strange side effects I had from this medication. I would never take this medication again."

Bipolar18 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Depression "I was on lexapro for 2 years and it eventually made me numb to life in general. I wanted to be able to feel again without the depression and anxiety and OCD creeping back in. The doctor put me onto Cymbalta after I came off Lexapro (worst experience coming off lexapro, it was 3 weeks of withdrawal). The first night that I took it within 4 hours I felt a little sleepy so went to bed at 10pm and slept ok a little restless. At work the next day I was very vague in the head but I got through it. The following day it was like someone switched the lights on in my head and I could think so much clearer and got so much work done and felt like I was happy again. Now a week later I am feeling so good, calm yet full of energy and I have lost 3 kg as I have stopped over eating and have to tell myself it is time to eat. I do get a little restless in the night at times but I just tell myself to close my eyes again and relax and it works and I go back to sleep."

Nay April 10, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I have never found an antidepressant that helps so well with arthritic pain management and generalized anxiety disorder. Very few side effects compared to other SNRIs , etc effexor. It has been a blessing for me so far. Have only been on it 2 weeks. Only side effect is a very slight nausea for about 15 minutes."

MISSCLAIROL (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "After my first dose of the generic version of Cymbalta yesterday evening for major anxiety and minor depression. I was surprised to feel a difference within a few hours. My mood lifted and I had more energy. I still felt slightly anxious. Initial side effects: quite bad insomnia, slight jitteriness, slight diarrhea, very slight confusion at times and nausea for the first 12 hours after taking it. After 2 weeks, I now have zero side effects and have changed to taking it in the mornings. It is a miracle drug for my depression! The constant dark feeling of sadness has lifted completely. It has also helped my anxiety quite a lot, however I still have periods of anxiousness. I am definitely going to stay on this medication as it has drastically improved the quality of my life."

stillholdingon (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine gave me nothing but brain zaps and nausea. This medicine has a very short half life so make sure to take your meds within 20hrs or you will feel sick all day long. Getting off this medicine was worse than getting on. It took me months to get the nausea, brain zaps, insomnia, and headaches to stops."

Zae (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2018

For Anxiety "This medication helped me so much! I battled severe depression in high school due to chronic illness and about a year and a half later developed a severe anxiety disorder. I started off on other meds (i.e. Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) with little help. I've been taking duloxetine now for ten years and it makes a world of difference for me! Every medication reacts VERY differently in each individual and its a process of trial and error, but I'm very thankful for this medication. Are there side effects? Sure, like with any medication. My worst ones are always being hot and dry mouth (comes and goes). I've found ways to deal with those though and it doesn't take away the fact that my anxiety is helped tremendously and my depression nearly disappeared. I will battle anxiety for my whole life, I'm sure, so please don't think any drug is a magic, cure-all pill! BUT I can conscientiously recognize an anxiety attack and use my coping skills, whereas before, I felt completely out of control."

Luvpaws1990 April 5, 2018

For Depression "Day 6 and not feeling anything yet."

Christina (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "I’ve been taking 30 mg a day for a few months, prescribed partly for depression but mainly for neuropathy. I’ve noticed a marked reduction in pain, a minimal positive effect on depression but the skyrocketing anxiety is crazy. It seemed to actually decrease anxiety for about a week, then went in the opposite direction. I asked my doctor about this, and discontinuing it, but he said not to, and instead go to 60 mg. This has put me in an awkward position of noncompliance (for good cause IMO). Ultimately though, I guess it’s my responsibility. If I don’t notice a decrease in the anxiety soon I’ll be stopping Cymbalta. No sense in paying a doctor to feel worse!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking cymbalta 60mg for nearly 10 months now for anxiety and depression. Im feeling so much better and wanting to get off them completely. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks"

Loz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2018