User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Back Pain

Cymbalta has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings for the treatment of Back Pain. 50% of those users who reviewed Cymbalta reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Back Pain.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 11, 2021

“ZERO STARS ! Twice now have been prescribed this and twice quit it cold turkey. (DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY VERY DANGEROUS!) I just did not react well with this medication. It did help a bit with the pain alongside topamax. I just didn't like the fact that you must have this with you at all times and cannot miss a dose. I’m not going to be “handcuffed” to a medication because if you miss a dose you start horrific withdrawals. Sounds more like a street drug to me ? Took weeks if not months to get out of my system completely. Never, ever, ever, ever again. I’d rather live with my SI joint dysfunction pain than use this as a bandaid ! I did however finally find a surgeon who specialized in SI joint fusion. No more band aids on a fixable lower back issue ! Please do your research. Effexor is even worse !”

Lynn November 13, 2020

“Doc prescribed Cymbalta for nerve pain resembling shingles. Entire right torso front and back feels like I had been drug on asphalt behind a truck! I also have severe diabetic neuropathy in my feet and hands. 1st day on cymbalta I was a little nauseous with a noticeable headache. Had trouble sleeping. I didn't hear alarm so overslept. 2nd day (today) still can't sleep. Even with ambien. No change in pain levels yet. Going to try taking it before bed tonight. Hoping it will work for me. Would like to get off gabapentin. Taking 2400 mg per day which can't be good for me! Thanks for listening.”

Mazie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

“Prescribed for back pain. I was told I have to start with 30mg. and in a week increase it to 60mg. After two days on Cymbalta, I knew I would never make it. I got sick almost immediately - stumbling, brain fog, diarrhea, jaw pain, headache, and nausea. I told my doctor I wanted off but she said to take it "a few weeks" before I went up to 60mg. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I stayed on it for a few more weeks, but didn't get better and it actually got a lot worse. I called my doctor's office and told her I wanted off. There was no way I was going up to 60mg. Since I had never increased the dosage, I immediately went to every other day for a week, then stopped. The withdrawal was every bit as bad as the reaction to the pill. There is finally a slight alleviation in the symptoms, so I've decided just to wait it out. MY RECOMMENDATION: My experience is this is the worse pill I have ever taken. Bottom line? DON'T TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

“I had previously got steroid injections for DDD and hip problems all caused from earlier undiagnosed injury as a child. Later in life turned into severe arthritis and facet joint issues. I am only 38 years old. The injections made me feel like a puffer fish and weight ballooned from fluid retention. However it got my inflammation down. So after speaking to my doctor and not wanting to resort to these injections again she tried me on Cymbalta. At first I will say side effects were odd and I felt awful. Helped immediately with weight loss however and after 2 weeks I started to level off and be able to do things I hadn't in almost a year. I literally couldn't bend to pick up my baby. Everyone is different but I have pretty severe back issues daily and for this to be as positive as it was after the first 2 weeks has made a great impact on my life.”

Anonymous May 25, 2020

“I have fibromyalgia, the pain was so bad that I wanted to die!! I started taking 30 mg and worked up to 60mg , after one week at 30 I could already tell a difference at 60 mg I no longer have any pain and I'm very happy, the only side effect I have is a decreased sex drive ( I'm male )”

Loulou · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2020

“This medication Cymbalta has turned my life into a nightmare, I’ve been on 60mg for about 10 years, it helped maybe the first year with back pain and my depression, the last two years the depression has gotten worse along with the back pain that I take methadone for, I tried to stop taking Cymbalta and it was worse than anything I could ever imagine, zap feeling in my head and body, horrible nightmares, lose of interest in life, it got so bad I had to start taking it again and have no clue on how to get off of it. Feeling hopeless”

captiva · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“Do not take this drug Cymbalta!! I am a 64 yr old female, otherwise healthy. I have L5 Radiculopathy. After 6 days (6 pills 20mg), I felt terrible. Sweating, dizzy, extremely fatigued, depressed, queasy. I would rather experience the discomfort in my left leg, foot, and low back than feel the way I feel right now or the potential side effects of waiting for this to "kick in" and trying to come off of it. I'm doing a liver detox for a week and can't wait to get this out of my system.”

Dirk Tex September 30, 2019

“When I first started taking Cymbalta, it really helped my back pain. Now, after 30 days it’s barely helping my back pain anymore. Therefore, my doctor is suggesting to take me off slowly of Cymbalta and start taking a low dose of Lexapro. In the past , When I used to take Lexapro it gave me back aches and neck pain. Thanks for having a Forum. Dirk”

Rs · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2019

“I started 30mg cymbalta 3 weeks ago for my neck and lower back pain. I feel so much better now. I went through weird side effects and lost appetite. I was afraid to take this medication after reading the reviews but everyone is different. I’ve been able to work and workout without pain. Cymbalta worked pretty good for me.”

Rob June 30, 2019

“I am blessed to have this medication available to me. I do have anxiety and fibromyalgia along with the back pain. The first 2 weeks I did not think I was going to be able to endure the side effects of Cymbalta but I tougher it out and I am so glad I did. My life is back and I can function like an almost normal person. There is no way for me to tell you how happy I am to be sharing this with the world!!!”

Ss June 29, 2019

“Was put on this for pain, as a side effect it has improved my mood and disposition tremendously. I can only hope it continues to work this well.”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

“My doctor prescribed to me Cymbalta for my back pain. After 4 days the awfulness started. This meds are terrible! Dizziness, nausea, messing my brain, anxiety, loopy. I don't recognize my self. I didn't have this before. Can't take it more because I feel like it will cost mental illness. Horrible”

Ghlyn · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

“I am using Cymbalta for like a week now. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and been suffering 8years. Cymbalta was a answered prayer to my pain till I started having another upper back pain. 2 days ago I stop using Cymbalta and my upper back pain was gone.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2018

“I’m on day 5 still feel so sick dizzy and foggy had to be off work. Haven’t felt able to drive since taking it. Pain is getting better but I need my brain back! Does it stop after a while??”

Margaret · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2018

“I woke up bent over with lower back pain every morning, which led to sciatica pain for 2 years. Turning over in bed feeling like a 50lb weight was attached to my lower back started around 3:00am and felt like a tight ball every morning that needed some air released. After trying 3 different medications, I started Cymbalta. Within two days and I was pain free in the morning and my sciatica pain eventually disappeared as well. At one point, I couldn't sit or stand for more than 15-30 minutes without getting up hunchbacked or feeling like my back was giving out. My quality of life had been taken over by what was becoming a 24/7 literal pain in my back. For me, as time went on, it not only left me pain free in the morning, it also removed the nerve pain in my left sciatica. It was/is a Godsend.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2018

“I took my first pill at 9:30am. It’s 1:48 am now and I can’t sleep. I am very anxious and fatigue. I’ve noticed that I yawned several times today and felt super uneased. Never taking the drug again. I’m trying to flush my body with water to get rid of it. Terrible side effects.”

Scrub Nurse · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2018

“I have been a nurse for the past 30 years, and my job requires me to be on my feet for 90% of the time I am at work. Also at times we have to do heavy lifting and yes we learn safety techniques to do this, but sometimes you still end up with a back injury. I myself suffer from Lumbar Stenosis and after about 10 minutes of standing I begin to experience very heavy lower back pain and sometimes both my legs get numb. So my Neurologist prescribed Cymbalta 30mg once daily, at first it was amazing, I had zero pain for the first time in 5 years. But it was short lived, after about 1 month the excruciating pain was back, so the dosage was adjusted to 60mg once daily. Again it worked wonders but after 1 month the pain was back. So this medication did Not work for me.”

birdmom9726 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2018

“This medication is a nightmare for me. It did help a tiny bit with the pain but it had side effects. I became MORE depressed while I was taking it, plus it made my already moderate to severe tinnitus extremely bad - it sounded like a million crickets were chirping along with several lawnmowers in my head at all times after the first few days on this med. I am now being titrated down and I will never take it again. It also totally wiped out my short term memory. I'll deal with the pain in other ways, this just isn't worth it! I'm glad it works for some people, though.”

Heat8004 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2018

“I was on 150 mg of imipramine for 30 years but it was not working any more so was switched to cymbalta and suffered with the sweats and sleepless nights. It eventually all went away but it wasn't easy. I still don't seem to have much energy and daily life seems forced so not sure if I should increase from 60 mg to 90 mg. I am still having severe lower back pain going for laser treatments and chiropractor. Any suggestions?”

McQ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2018

“I was put on Cymbalta and Lyrica at the same time. Back and nerve pain improved, but was like a zombie on this. My family said had a blank look in my eyes like "no one home". Short term memory was gone. Since was only on it for about 2 months when weaned off didn't seem to have negative withdraw symptoms. Still on lyrica and pain level seems ok.”

KenWoods · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2018

“Wonderful until you come off it. 8 Years on Cymbalta for Chronic Pain and now 2 years of Brain Zaps, Fog ,Fatigue, Anger, depression etc. It is worse than crack. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.”

Debbie W. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 21, 2018

“Do not recommend. It made my back pain somewhat diminish at a major price. Side effects: Short term memory loss, severe headaches, severe hair loss (my shower drain clogs from all my hair that is falling out!), chronic numbing/tingling right arm, dental issues, body odor, extreme sweating and body heat spikes, complete loss of sexual interest, extreme fatigue, insomnia, malaise, more hair loss, constipation, confusion, technicolorish disturbing dreams, felt like I had the flu, ocular issues of dry scratchy eyes and floaters with flashing lights, weight gain. Had to then take a Benzedrine to sleep, migraine meds and a chemo nausea control drug. Had no get up and go. Flatliner. Just weaned myself off of Cymbalta and feel like myself again!”

China602 October 12, 2017

“I used this medication for 3 weeks. It worked so good for my back pain and my anxiety. I was so happy I was finally found something that would help me, get off my pain meds. One day I woke up with chest pains. I thought nothing of it. I went to work and it got worse and My blood pressure was 197/110. I left work, went straight to the ER. We found out this medication side effect was raise blood pressure. I am a healthy 120lb 38yr women. I'm doing much better now. BP is back to normal, but I have pain. Now I'm trying something new with back doctor. I hate pain meds. I been on and off for 5 years. I have herniated disc and bulging and anxiety due to a car accident. I had some signs of chest pain before. So don't ignore it.”

Manyseverebackproblems · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2016

“I suffer with several disc herniations and bulges from a automobile accident. I also have bone spurs on one of my vertebrae. Due to the workers comp case and doctors over prescirbing oxycodone which is the only pain meds out of almost 40 tried that helps my pain. They prescribed cymbalta to replace my oxycodone. They have cut my dosage in half and gave me cymbalta which I took for the first time They think oxycodone is such a bad drug? Taking cymbalta I was so high and hyper my heart beating out of my chest skin crawling and did nothing for pain and I really thought I was going to die. If I drove I probably would have killed some one. I never felt anything except pain relief from oxycodone???”

Benderben · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2016

“After reading all the reviews and trying just about everything under the sun, I have found something that works for my lower back pain. I was in a car accident when I was 14 and broke my L4&5, since then I have been dealing with back pain (I am now 40). Last year my Dr. Discussed cymbalta with me. After doing some research I decided to give it a whirl, I was almost turned off the idea due to some of the negative experiences...glad I tried it. I am currently pain free, I did experience some side effects all of which dissapeared before 5 months; Excessive yawning Not being able to ejaculate during sex Feeling of tiredness Some anxiety Sweats Weight gain Vivid dreams kept peeing a little after I thought I was done Give it time, if you try!”

Learn more about Back Pain