User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Pamprin All Day Relief, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Aflaxen, Midol Extended Relief, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief

Naproxen has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 606 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of those users who reviewed Naproxen reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Period Pain
10.0
Summary of Naproxen reviews 6.9 606 reviews

Reviews for Naproxen

Maude April 26, 2021

For Osteoarthritis: “I am pain free with one Naproxen per day for osteoarthritis. I can walk without hip or knee pain. Goodness, knock on wood; otherwise, I’d be sitting in a chair full time. Works for me just fine.”

SarM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2021

Aleve (naproxen) for Period Pain: “Wow this is literally a lifesaver WOW. I swear I was in so much pain and I felt like I was just gonna pass out cause the pain WOULD NOT stop and when it kicked in I felt so much better. Thank you so much”

AG · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2021

For Sciatica: “Took for about 6 weeks, did nothing except give me tinnitus, 8 months after stopping this drug and my ears are still ringing.”

Leon Saper · Taken for 10 years or more May 2, 2012

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “When I have sciatica pain in my hip I quickly eat something (protein bar often works), take two Aleve, then lay down on the floor and put my legs up on a chair. Sometimes I put an ice pack on the area also, and I lay there for 10-20 minutes and the pain almost always subsides. Then I make sure to stretch a bit so the pain doesn't return when the Aleve wears off. Aleve works GREAT when I'm in pain, but don't forget how vital it is to stretch and exercise also. ”

Maili · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2014

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “Unbelievable! After suffering everyday with sciatica nerve pain, losing sleep, falling into depression, I tried one pill, Aleve. Nothing else I tried worked. Aleve did exactly what my body needed to get relief from pain and inflammation. I didn't want a narcotic, no. I will continue to take Aleve for a week to be sure that all traces of sciatica and inflammation are completely gone.”

Daisy304 October 7, 2013

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “Unbelievable searing pain down the right side of my right leg always first thing in the morning after getting out of bed. I quickly take two Aleve with a glass of milk and wait for the pain to subside which usually takes about forty five minutes. I am then fine for the rest of the day. I also do yoga exercises later in the day which helps.”

MadMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

For Sciatica: “26 years US army, then 10 years civilian working in middle east, active with kids camping travel. BUT upon retiring at 56 years young suddenly the sciatic nerve issue, pain, pain, pain and did I mention PAIN?? Doc started me on 1 pill a day of naproxen, and just like a bunch of the posts on here I was skeptical to the point of laughter................Guess what after taking three days the pain subsided..... and after 6 months it was, and two year later still is, GONE...”

Anonymous June 12, 2010

Aleve (naproxen) for Osteoarthritis: “My hip and shoulder have hurt for years and I have always taken Bayer aspirin and I tried Aleve arthritis gelcap. To my surprise the pain in my hip and shoulder went away for 8 hours. The only thing I don't know is how long I could take the stuff, the bottle said do not take for longer than 10 days. The warning label about it could cause stroke or heart attack did raise questions.”

im a aleveir May 23, 2013

Aleve (naproxen) for Gout, Acute: “I suffer from gout in my feet periodically because I do not take preventative medicines. My last bout I tried Tylenol extra strength first and got no relief. I switched to Aleve gel caps and immediately felt the pain decrease. I am a believer and also an Aleveir, thanks a lot.”

Scottnomad · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2014

For Back Pain: “I had a herniated disc some 20 years ago and have never forgotten how effective Naproxen was at alleviating my condition. The results were astounding. Walked into a doctors surgery bent over almost double with severe sciatica. Prescribed Naproxen and took it immediately. Within 60 minutes I was walking like normal! I normally don't make comments on these kinds of thing but if it works even in a small number of people like it did me I am happy to share my experience. Try it nothing to lose no side effects I was aware of.”

BAD_BA May 6, 2014

Naprosyn (naproxen) for Sciatica: “This was my last chance to get relief, my dr had advised that if we couldn't get the nerve to relax, surgery was the next option. The medication helped, the only thing I would only take this at bed time. This medication is very strong and makes you very sleepy, but it really does work. I only had to use it for a short time. I will not take any thing longer than a month and only when I have to.”

Smw · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2018

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “I have been taking Ibuprofen for years but only helped a little I saw commercial for Aleve and thought I would try What a difference in my back pain and sciatica. It even took down the inflammation in my hands”

Drakester 64 May 20, 2014

Aleve (naproxen) for Gout, Acute: “I don't even go to the foot doctor to refill my gout medicine anymore. Those little green pills are effective but make me feel terrible. Aleve is a tremendously effective medicine for my big toe gout and I DON'T have any side effects from it.”

Yogivino · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2016

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “I took 2 pills (220mg each) in the morning and it may take 1-2 hour before the pain is completely gone. I've sciatica on my right leg from lower back down to the bottom of my feet. Tickling & numbness besides the pain each morning. First thing I did was taking 2 pills immediately. I also practice yoga regularly..., I'm so grateful to discover Aleve for sciatica! Will take it as long as my sciatica is here...”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2013

For Headache: “I was prescribed naproxen by my neurologist for menstrual migraines that left me debilitated every month with severe vomiting. I now take 500mg each morning and night a few days before my period is due. I started taking this preventative treatment of naproxen six months ago. I still get headaches and occasional migraines but they are less severe and I have no vomiting. Before taking Naproxen I was having at least three days off work each month. I haven't had any time off since starting the tablets - really have improved my quality of life.”

Breanzelle September 26, 2016

Aleve (naproxen) for Back Pain: “Two days ago I was getting out of my car . I slipped on the gravel, twisting and slipping the lower discs in my back. For two days I haven't been able to move without excruciating pain . I have been crying for two days I've taken Advil, Tylenol, Motrin muscle relaxers. Just a few hours ago my friend cones over hands me two aleves and some warm water. Within 30minutes I'm not lying the pain is gone. Thank you aleve, i promise to pass the word of your greatness.”

jadou August 29, 2009

Aleve (naproxen) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been using Aleve for about 6 months. This medicine helps relieve all my aches and pains. I'm 68 and working in food industry. Although I experience severe body and joint pains on a daily basis I take one Aleve on the days I work and can put in 4 to 6 hours pain free. I have not suffered any side effects so far. So far none of the other medicines I have tried have been as effective as Aleve.”

Lansingite November 18, 2009

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “A surgeon recommended that I have a procedure to deal with the effects of several ruptured disks in my lower back. I prefer to put off the surgery for as long as I can, and use Aleve on an almost daily basis. It works just fine for me, and I only have an incident about every 1.5 years, and usually because I overdo the yard work. When it gets very bad, I supplement with an anti spasmodic drug for a few days.”

sissie69 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

Aleve (naproxen) for Sciatica: “For several years I took Bayer Back & Body for my chronic back/sciatica pain (2 tabs, 2x day). I found very little relief. I recently started taking Aleve Back & Muscle Pain..This is my third day using Aleve Back & Muscle Pain...What a difference in just 3 days!!! I take 1 tab in the morning and it last all day!! The pain/burning sensation in my back/leg has reduced sufficiently. Thank You Aleve!!!”

Connors · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “These work really well for me, reading these reviews I see they are not working for everyone. If I wasn't taking naproxen I couldn't walk to be honest. I'm waiting to have my spine fused due to my illness. My symptoms are back ache (gone) blood flow loss to legs (gone) severe tingles in legs (gone) numbness in hands and feet (gone) severe sharp pains on most movements (gone). For me this drug is great and I don't have the side effects as others have described. Give them a try it could work for you also, I wish you luck.”

Anonymous February 24, 2010

Aleve (naproxen) for Gout, Acute: “Really worked for me. I had significant pain and inflamation of my big toe. Symptoms were getting worse until I took Aleve. Almost immediate (1/2 hr) relief from pain and within one day of use the pain was gone and by the 2nd day the swelling was reduced.”

Nick T · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2015

Aleve (naproxen) for Back Pain: “Male - 33years old. Excruciating pain in lower SI region of my back following an aggressive 30 mile bick ride and a few days of surfing. Woke up the next morning with shooting pain in low back which progressed to shooting pains running down my glutes and referred pain to the hip flexor region. For two weeks this was extremely painful and did not subside even w/ ice applications and finally chiropractic visits 5 total and lots of Advil. Per the suggestion of my wife I tried aleve (2 pills for first dose and 1 pill each dose after that. After 2 pills I noticed a HUGE difference and significantly reduced pain as well as better range of motion as inflammation had gone down. I highly recommend for anyone with back pain as it really helped me!”

Anonymous December 7, 2012

For Period Pain: “Since beginning my period at the age of 12, I have experienced tremendous pain. So much so that I'd miss school, work, events, etc. I'd be in bed writing in unbelievable pain for the first day or two...on the toilet bent over in pain and dropping clots...losing weight...having absolutely zero energy - it'd take me about a week to feel somewhat normal again after each period. I've tried everything - you name it, I've tried it. Since my new gynecologist prescribed naproxen, it has been LIFE CHANGING. The first time I took it, the beginnings of pain were gone in 20 minutes! So, for the first time in 22 years, I had NO pain with my period. That's a LONG time to have pain! I can't believe no one gave this to me sooner! It's GREAT!”

Shaolamander April 26, 2014

For Period Pain: “So when I started getting my period at about 13 I had the WORST CRAMPS EVER. Like I'm talking over the toilet, in the shower, missing school, and stuff like that. Typically it was only the first, rarely the second, day Of my cycle I would stay home or come home in bed feeling like my insides were flipping inside out. So after a couple months of this my mom got worried and took me to the doctor who told me I should go get an ultrasound on my uterus to make sure that there wasn't extra blood flow, extra lining, or anything. This is mostly because I didn't have blood clots so she wanted to make sure there wasn't something that needed attention pronto. nothing came up in the ultrasound. So I got prescribed naproxen and it's a LIFE SAVER!!!!”

Anonymous March 24, 2009

Naprelan (naproxen) for Sciatica: “I am currently taking Celebrex and Prednisone for my Sciatica, 12 days now and no relief. Desperate for pain relief I took 1 naproxen 500mg. Thank God I did. The pill is a little hard to swallow, and it may make you a little nauseous but it will definitely ease the pain and will allow you to get some much needed sleep.”

Buddy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2020

For Back Pain: “I've taken prescription 500mg Naproxen twice a day everyday for 4 years. If I miss a few days my back begins to hurt. On the 1-10 scale maybe 4. If I go a week then it's a 7-8 and I can't straighten up or walk with pain. If I take 500 mg twice a day I can go all day, work hard and do it everyday. I fear where I would be without Naproxen. A few stomach problems now and then but prilosec everyday takes care of that.”

oldgroom · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

For Sciatica: “Have had Naproxen before and it was useless for sciatica pain. Used diclofenac and it was great but now I am 64 doctor won't prescribe it and has given me Naproxen and said to take paracetamol - I am now on my 2nd week of agony and can't stand up straight or walk far.”

Ken · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 18, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “I have been taking two 500 mg naproxen tablets per day for several years due to osteoarthritis, back & knee pain. I had no side effects for a long time, but in the last 2 years I have had issues with the skin on the back of my hands. I am a farmer, so daily work with my hands around sharp objects (like Barbed wire) is a constant. I began to get cuts and small lesions on the back of my hands that were slow to heal and then left shallow red scarring. I began researching my condition and came across "Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced pseudoporphyria". Symptoms of this condition exactly describes my condition. This is listed as "a relatively rarely reported condition", and therefore not commonly listed as a side effect of taking naproxen. I have discontinued naproxen and will be meeting with my Dr. to determine another anti-inflammatory for my condition. I hope this information helps so that someone who has this problem doesn't suffer for years with it like I have.”