User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Naproxen.

Gout, Acute

Frozen Shoulder
2.2

Summary of Naproxen reviews 6.4 423 reviews

Reviews for Naproxen

For Pain: "I am a 65 yr old, female in excellent health except that I have ankle & knee pain . On vacation I, daily, took 500mg Naproxen for 3 weeks due to a mis-step and slight fall. Upon return home, 1 month later I am having extreme hair loss."

Kscheers December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After five consecutive days of being in constant and intolerable pain, the only medicine that reduced my pain was Naproxen 500 mg. No other medication or herbal medicine or ice helped me previously until I took Naproxen maybe because I have Celiac Disease Today after taking Naproxen is the first day I feel with less pain! after taking one pill."

Chiquita_1 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Period Pain: "This is the only pain medication I have taken that helps with my menstrual pain. This includes back pain, cramping, headaches, and pain in my hip. By alleviating the pain it also helps alleviate the nausea caused by the pain. With that being said, I have never had a negative side effect while using this medication."

Worlds not round (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Pain: "I had a toe injury and I took Aleve extra strength. Let me just say, this was the best decision I could have made. I went from not being able to walk in the morning, to jumping off a stage. I HIGHLY recommend Aleve. I have never been so impressed with a medication. I wish I could shoot a commercial for Aleve because they deserve it."

graciesmith4410 December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Gout, Acute: "Aleve really worked for me with my toe swelling for the gout and the relief was very fast for me. It is Awesome"

The Marine (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I heard/felt something in my shoulder tear ( Torn tendon in shoulder ). Went to Dr when ibuprofen and paracetamol no longer worked. Prescribed 500mg naproxen twice day. This was last wed. It's now Sunday and the constant dull pain down my arm has come back. The naproxen worked really well for about 48 hours. It didn't stop the agony every morning. Painful when changing gear when driving (UK). Have MRI scan in 10 days. No side effects although my hot flushes ( menopause) seem to have got much worse over the last 2 days ( on clonidine for those)"

Hylandlassy (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I’m 40 and I’ve had about two gout attacks a year for the last 4 years. They have all been on my left big toe although currently this one is in my left heel. When I get a flare up there is no stopping it. Not indocin, naproxen, prednisone nothing! I take Allopurinol daily. Note* I just started taking Allopurinol this year and I felt like it was helping me. I made it to November. But here I am all over again. I’m am 6ft 245lb. I do exercise quite a bit. Have a active lifestyle. I’ve worked with my primary physician, podiatrist and now I’m being referred to a Rheumatologist. Hope they have some new ideas. I have Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) from work for this, but I’m on my 7th day with this and it’s not getting better. I still worry about missing work. Stressed over here! "

GoutH8ter November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Period Pain: "Aleve has been a miracle drug for me. I’m not one to write reviews on anything but I can tell you from my experience today that I was in so much pain from menstrual cramps that I was crying. I took two extra strength Tylenol and it took two hours to work and when it did work I still felt a lot of pain but still not as much as before. Then, I took two Aleve and it completely knocked it out."

Hildie89 November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Headache: "I was just prescribed naproxen 500 mg for degenerative arthritis. It really takes the pain away from the arthritis but it also works for my wife who gets occasional menstrual headaches, migraines and seasonal allergy sinus headaches. She also takes vistaril for allergies but it doesn't get rid of the headaches. Me personally, only Excedrin migraine extra strength...but that might be the caffeine lol"

Adamrocks84 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Period Pain: "I was switched to naproxen for heavy periods due to mefenamic supply problems. I have continued with it as I found it reduced my flow more than mefanmic acid did. In terms of pain Naproxen certainly eases the pain from menstruation cramping but doesn’t eliminate it to a comfortable level and I was having to take regular paracetamol on top. A few months ago I was prescribed buscopan for IBS and my GP advised me to use it for period cramps too. To my surprise the combination of naproxen and buscopan has helped greatly during my period and when I’m ovulating. So I rarely need to stay curled up in bed clutching a hot water bottle like I used to have to do."

Lemmax1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout, Acute: "I had an attack of gout yesterday. Had to crawl to the toilet. Got a relative to buy me some naprogesic as it is called here and 8 hours later am almost pain free. It leaves everything else for dead."

Marylou Samosn November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Had a tooth pulled three days ago have been taking this every chance I could. Doesn't seem to help with pain at all maybe I need a higher dosage than 300 mg because I'm only allowed to take 2 a day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Back Pain: "Herniated disc T4 and narrowing of spinal column in my neck. Over last few years I have suffered from flare ups of back pain which spread throughout the spine and into other joints and this has deteriorated after the herniated disc. I am guessing this is a type of arthritis. The good news is naproxen works well and quickly and settles everything down within 1 to 2 days. I don't like to keep taking it but after a week or two the pain returns and I need the drugs again and I am starting to think the pain is returning quicker and more severe to the extent that I may be more and more reliant? However, 18 months after the herniated disc and thinking I might not walk properly again I'm running again and pain free on the drugs."

English Dave (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I have tried many brands of Naproxen. It has never relieved even the mildest of my pain. I had no inflammation relief either."

Pengy (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tendonitis: "I went to the doctor after having pain in my elbow, I thought tennis elbow my doctor dismissed it as tendonitis an quickly prescribed me Naproxen 500mg to be taken twice daily. I made sure I took after food on the and third day in I started experiencing stomach pain and indignation/ heart burn. This continued over next 2 days with increased pain and feeling bloated, on the fifth day a stiffness started creeping in all over my body so bad that I couldn't take my own clothes off. It is now day 6 I haven't taken any tablets and had to spend the day in bed. It has even made my breasts feel very sore. I feel as though I've been in an horrendous car crash. I will definitely not be taking this drug ever again. I'm usually a very fit 49 year old,"

Shelly in pain October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Pain: "Does nothing may as well take sugar pills"

Pog October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "This works well on arthritis and gout and I only take when I need it. You can buy this OTC as naproxen it is fairly cheap this way. I always have something in stomach before taking."

marme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Back Pain: "I'm 6'8" and 128kg. Was prescribed 500mg twice a day. Experienced extreme dizziness and light headedness. Felt very faint. Not a chance I could drive, I couldn't even walk in a straight line."

GreenaGiant (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sciatica: "2 Weeks ago I developed severe lower back pain, I went to my chiropractor for 2 treatments thinking this would solve the problem, was out of action for a week. Then it flared up again just when I thought it was gone. I am supposed to be starting a new job on Monday, but woke up Saturday morning in severe pain down my left leg, throbbing burning pain, and my ankle and foot had no feeling..... so all I have is a tablet called INZA and paracetemol, I can't drive the manual car to the doctor to get an injection as I can't even walk properly and have no feeling in the leg. I'm seeing the physio on Monday, I wonder if this will help as they do work the muscles which might help the disk go back to normal, is this going to be a life long problem?"

POP Dolly September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Osteoarthritis: "It seems like other OTC pain relief pills work much better, e.g. ibruprofen, aspirin, tylonol. I just try to get by on one aleve taken around 5 a.m. because I take four other pills each day at 5 p.m. I have just experienced several days with dizzyness. Don't know if it's connected to taking Aleve but will address it with my family doctor."

Ivoon September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tendonitis: "My Dr prescribed 500mg twice a day as needed for mu shoulder pain. I immediately had stomach pain and nausea so I only took it once daily at bedtime as my shoulder pain is worse at night. Pain went away but the nausea and stomach pain is back along with headaches. I quit completely 3 days ago; nausea and headache still present at times but getting better. Naproxen is history for me, never again. Good old Tylenol will have to do from now on."

Maryssa September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Period Pain: "I take all types of pain meds but Naproxen doesn't last an hour before my cramps come back. I just took one and it made my cramps worse and I'm like forget naproxen. One pill doesn't do jack."

Toni666 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "I have mild arthritis which gives me pain primarily in my hands, wrists & ankles. I take (2) 220 mg naproxen sodium before I walk 9 holes of golf in western PA which involves serious hills. I think it definitely helps me but wonder how long before I anticipate golfing I should take the naproxen sodium, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours?"

Parttime Jim (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen) for Costochondritis: "Been taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day for 12 days per docs order with little relief for Chostocondritis and back pain. Getting pretty bummed out so decided to try Aleve (not generic - the time release isn't the same) and within hours had relief. Finally able to sit comfortably!"

KellyBellyBoo August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Back Pain: "Naproxen has not helped my pain one bit. I've been on one 1000mg tablet a day for 3 weeks. I've had so many side effects to this medication but my Dr doesn't care and told me to keep taking it. I'm also on 1800mg a day of gabapentin (for nerve related pain) 40-60mg of oxycodone a day (for back pain; 2 prolapsed discs as well as spinal stenosis and age degeneration) and 30mg of baclofen (muscle relaxer) even being on all these tablets I still can't walk or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time unless I have my crutches or a trolley to take weight off. I also have nerve damage to my right leg (to the point my slipper caught on fire whilst camping and I didn't know until I smelt burning rubber, resulting in 3rd degree burns on top of my foot"

BadBackStakz (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017