User Reviews for Naproxen to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, Flanax Pain Reliever, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Pamprin All Day Relief, EC-Naprosyn, Aflaxen, Midol Extended Relief, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief

Naproxen Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Naproxen

Ken · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 18, 2020

“I have been taking two 500 mg naproxen tablets per day for several years due to osteoarthritis, back & knee pain. I had no side effects for a long time, but in the last 2 years I have had issues with the skin on the back of my hands. I am a farmer, so daily work with my hands around sharp objects (like Barbed wire) is a constant. I began to get cuts and small lesions on the back of my hands that were slow to heal and then left shallow red scarring. I began researching my condition and came across "Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced pseudoporphyria". Symptoms of this condition exactly describes my condition. This is listed as "a relatively rarely reported condition", and therefore not commonly listed as a side effect of taking naproxen. I have discontinued naproxen and will be meeting with my Dr. to determine another anti-inflammatory for my condition. I hope this information helps so that someone who has this problem doesn't suffer for years with it like I have.”

Connors · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2019

“These work really well for me, reading these reviews I see they are not working for everyone. If I wasn't taking naproxen I couldn't walk to be honest. I'm waiting to have my spine fused due to my illness. My symptoms are back ache (gone) blood flow loss to legs (gone) severe tingles in legs (gone) numbness in hands and feet (gone) severe sharp pains on most movements (gone). For me this drug is great and I don't have the side effects as others have described. Give them a try it could work for you also, I wish you luck.”

Caz · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2019

“I'm currently taking naproxen for my joint pain but it's not helping me at all I feel the same”

Peener · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 6, 2019

Aleve (naproxen): “Gouty arthritis: fair Arthritic shoulder: good”

Kaitlyn · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

“I am waiting for hip surgery as osteoarthritis set in due to an accident in my youth. My left leg has always been shorter and I've had Osteopath treatment off an on, though pain has never stopped me leading a very active life. The pain now is appalling, Panadol and Ibobrufen help but I still limp painfully. Have a little indigestion as well. I thought weight-gain i was having was due to lack of mobility but it was bloating side effect due to the Brufen. I can't take codeine so was prescribed Naproxyn as Ibobrufen wasn't cutting it for the pain. Naproxyn took a few days to even work and the pain was not alleviated enough to warrant putting up with extreme queasiness, flatulence, slight depression (Can't afford to start down a negative track before my operation with so much pain ahead!). Back on Ibuprufen despite the bloating.”

Lee October 8, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “2013/14 took 2 Aleve every a.m. for knees. I found myself feeling weak - like going to pass out. Went to primary next day. Checked blood count and did the rectal blood. Told my SO to get me to emergency now. Blood count 7 and needed transfusion. Had endoscopy. Released after 3 days -blood normal. Told to see gastro upon my release. Over the next week had colonoscopy, intestinal exam, and lastly capsule endoscopy - swallow a small capsule camera to film 8 hours going through my body. Dr and I reviewed the results. Three places in intestines indicated bleeding - I could see them. He asked me food or meds I was taking - Aleve had caused the bleeding as it is a NSAID. I can't take any NSAID and nothing with aspirin in it or I may bleed. So now I basically live w/o taking anything for pain. ALEVE - Read the package - very small print - may cause BLEEDING.”

franko · Taken for 10 years or more July 5, 2018

“I have gout arthritis osteoarthritis , and probably tendinitis I have had a very hectic sporting life , I first went onto diclofenac but was put on naproxen safer drug I found them both brilliant had no side effects but I am concerned of the long term side effects , you can't stop the aging process but this helps , and if you start a fitness regime hopefully theses will help with the pain when getting there .”

Jazz · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 21, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “For at least 7 years, I have taken one aleve before going to sleep every night for osteoarthritis pain in my lower back. It has worked marvellously. Unfortunately I can no longer take Aleve as I have stage 3 kidney disease which my doctor is attributing to long term usage of Aleve. I now take a low dosage Tylenol but it does not work near as well as the Aleve ...”

Painful · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2018

“My dr put me on naproxen after he gave me shots in my knees for pain which were no help. I'm still in pain, it's like taking an asprin, what a waste of my money. ”

marme · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2017

“This works well on arthritis and gout and I only take when I need it. You can buy this OTC as naproxen it is fairly cheap this way. I always have something in stomach before taking.”

Ivoon September 16, 2017

Aleve (naproxen): “It seems like other OTC pain relief pills work much better, e.g. ibruprofen, aspirin, tylonol. I just try to get by on one aleve taken around 5 a.m. because I take four other pills each day at 5 p.m. I have just experienced several days with dizzyness. Don't know if it's connected to taking Aleve but will address it with my family doctor.”

Parttime Jim · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2017

“I have mild arthritis which gives me pain primarily in my hands, wrists & ankles. I take (2) 220 mg naproxen sodium before I walk 9 holes of golf in western PA which involves serious hills. I think it definitely helps me but wonder how long before I anticipate golfing I should take the naproxen sodium, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours?”

Rosie bush · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2017

“I have not found these tablets effective for the knee pain I'm having . Co codamol the strongest tablet has the same effect I also have been having sweats so will not be taking anymore”

nanjibhai · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2017

“I have knee and joint ache. I use it once in a week and it gives me relief for five days. First three days, I feel no pain anywhere in the body, then it going aching slowly and grows gradually. If i take it regularly once in a week, I am comfortable and have no side effects felt yet.”

Shellbellpower May 1, 2017

“Dizzy & severe chest pains.”

cricket0524 April 12, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “Dear Aleve, Your packaging is a total fail. I had to take the pliers to the bottle to get into it (it's very accommodating now) then had to take my contacts out and hunt out some reading glasses to see how many pills to take for a dose. The newly swallowed pills have not yet worked on the pain, so I have no way of deciding - at this point - if your product is worth the bother.”

snowey · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2016

Naprosyn (naproxen): “After 3 years on naprosyn 500 one a day I started to get irritable anxious finding fault all the time about stupid things. As soon as I stopped I was normal again . I don't know what tablet to take now as I am very sensitive to a lot of drugs.”

JSS878 August 18, 2015

“I was prescribed this to help with an inflamed joint in my foot. Historically, I had taken Aleve, but didn't like the drug because I felt it didn't really work. Last time I took it, it work in the 11th hour of 12 hurt effectiveness time range and was gone by hour 12. But the doctor insisted I take it this time. I took it for a little more than a week and on the 10th day, I woke up to horrible chest pains. I'm 36 years old and don't believe I have a heart condition. I stopped taking the pills and the pain in my chest lessened towards the end of the day. However, my blood pressure was through the roof, when I'm characteristically low, and my resting pulse rate was 114. I also spiked a fever in the same day. Days later, still symptoms”

Cats 18 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 9, 2015

“I take Naproxen when my knees hurt from arthritis, but I have to take it every day for at least 3 days for the pain to go away. Now my Dr. doesn't want me to Naproxen any longer, he said it's not good for people 65 to take it, I want to find out why?”

subbarao.J · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2015

“Actively particepated in physical activities in Army long service. During that time didn't have any ortho problems. little crossing over 60 yrs age I noticed pain with cracking sound in my Rt knee in regular brisk walking. The pain was not subsided with various topical creams from Homoeopath as well as Allopathic NSAIDS.Instead,severely suffered with agrevatred pain in knee and stiffness in ankle Jt in same leg. One day I came accross prominent action of NAPROXEN in OA.Following 500 mgs BD after meals for fortnight, the neproxen proved to be excellent and brushed aside all other subtitutes. It has rejuvenated my previous strength in carrying out day today works. No side affects observed.”

boo-boo9668 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2015

Anaprox (naproxen): “If you have any kind of stomach problems, these kind of medications aren't for you. It only relieved about 10-20% of my pain & hurt my stomach in the process.”

SloppyHips · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2014

“I am 51 yrs old with advanced Osteoarthritis in both hips, and on the surgery wait list to have THR. Naproxen is quite amazing for me at controlling OA pain. So far I only take it when I have upcoming situations where I will need to walk alot. For these situations I'll take Naproxen 1-2 days in advance, 2 x 500mg tablet daily. It makes a huge difference. If I didn't worry about stomach or intestine damage I would take it continually. Other days, I try to get by with low doses of ibuprofen.”

Popolopo August 14, 2014

“Took my first 500mg pill last night after supper, really feel good this morning, no pain when sleeping. Will post again in a week to update.”

Pinkmama60 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): “I have severe Osteoarthritis my fingers twisted, my knees have had 1 replace. The other needs one, my hips, my feet and back. I find a Aleve gel caps work better than my Voltaren. I also use oxycodone to help me with severe pain.”

sandylns · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2014

Naprosyn (naproxen): “This is an excellent pain medication as well as an anti inflammatory. I take 500 mg twice a day and had no adverse side effects.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)