User Reviews for Duloxetine

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 4.8
Summary of Duloxetine reviews 6.3 1,867 reviews

Reviews for Duloxetine

Regina July 29, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg daily for almost two weeks for anxiety and depression. I have taken the medicine two times before with no side effects. This time however, my first week side effects are were diarrhea, nausea, unable to eat much, worse anxiety and hot flushes in my chest causing a bad panic attack. New thing for me. Never had this hot sensation in my chest before. Second week felt a little better for two days then boom hot flushes again throwing me into another panic attack. This one milder than previous week. I’m so confused. Not sure whether to keep taking or not. Scary stuff when I get these hot flushing sensations across my chest and heart rate goes up.”

WSR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Osteoarthritis: “CYMBALTA changed my life. I started using Cymbalta for severe chronic lower back pain. My pain was so bad I considered suicide on many occasions. After failed back surgery, over the counter medications, epidurals, spinal ablation and everything else imaginable, my pain doctor prescribed Cymbalta. The side effects from Cymbalta were horrible, but within 2 weeks my back pain completely disappeared. I still deal with the side effects and Cymbalta is a highly addictive drug that is near impossible to withdraw from. I have come to terms with the alternatives and have decided Cymbalta is worth all of the negatives. It has saved my life.”

Hoffa khan July 25, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “It’s helpful”

In search of help · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I took duloxetine at a dose of 30 mg to 60mg then 90mg for MDD. I gained 80lbs! I never was overweight I workout everyday. It caused horrible insomnia. Negative outweighs the positive.”

anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “duloxetine might have curbed anxiety a little bit, but side effects were intolerable, I had brain fog, memory issues, weight gain (15 lbs in 6 months) and inability to orgasm made me slowly taper off of it. Because you have to slow taper--withdrawal symptoms are notorious for Cymbalta.”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 1, 2020

For Hot Flashes: “I've been off for two months and night sweats are still brutal!!! However I have lost 6 of the 15 lbs!”

Medmeup · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

For Depression: “This drug has pretty savage side effects. Nausea from the day I start taking it, teeth clenching, insomnia, suicidal thoughts and dissociation. I'd fall asleep in the afternoons. The side effects do go away and it did lift my depression quite fast, but it makes me very numb and ambivalent about life. I just don't care about anything. Nothing bothers me, even when it should. This isn't ideal since one of the worst symptoms of depression is lack of motivation and it doesn't fix that even if it does make me feel less awful and more energised. Generally though, I preferred prozac”

Mazie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: “Prescribed for back pain. I was told I have to start with 30mg. and in a week increase it to 60mg. After two days on Cymbalta, I knew I would never make it. I got sick almost immediately - stumbling, brain fog, diarrhea, jaw pain, headache, and nausea. I told my doctor I wanted off but she said to take it "a few weeks" before I went up to 60mg. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I stayed on it for a few more weeks, but didn't get better and it actually got a lot worse. I called my doctor's office and told her I wanted off. There was no way I was going up to 60mg. Since I had never increased the dosage, I immediately went to every other day for a week, then stopped. The withdrawal was every bit as bad as the reaction to the pill. There is finally a slight alleviation in the symptoms, so I've decided just to wait it out. MY RECOMMENDATION: My experience is this is the worse pill I have ever taken. Bottom line? DON'T TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

MilVet · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “Duloxotene/Cymbalta is awful, I have never felt so terribly ill. The different phases of withdrawal after my doctor stopped me from taking them has been terrible.”

Robbie · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2020

For Depression: “I took this medication duloxetine for a week back in 2016. I had bad side effects so decided to stop it just 1 week in. After I stopped it, my penis was numb. I couldn’t feel pleasure in my penis. I also had a mild pain around my face, which I thought was sinusitis infection at the time - when in fact it had messed up the nerves. I also couldn’t feel emotions properly. 4 years on and these side effects are not only still with me, but they have gotten worse. Duloxetine gave me permanent side effects and I think it did this by messing up my vagus nerve/ 5ht1a receptors. I now have M.E because of it! M.E is similar to fibromyalgia, which duloxetine can treat. So it makes sense. Don’t touch this! There’s so many better options with no side effects like deep transcranial magnetic stimulation which I wish I knew about back then!”

Pinkfizz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

For Depression: “Used duloxetine for GAD/depression and nerve pain. I was crying non-stop. It IS a strange drug; the nausea/anti-dep type 'yawning' & exhaustion it causes getting 'on' to it. My chemist advised an anti nausea med & this helped, otherwise I may have given up. (disapp. my GP didn't mention this). I was asked to aim for 120mg, starting on 60mg. Felt instantly better at 60mg and after losing weight with initial nausea, started to gain weight once happier. Got to 120mg, felt great, but had severe body jerks. I titrated back to 60mg, with little to no side effects over 8 weeks - with 1-2 brain zaps. I'm now on 30mg; anxiety creeping back, it's ok. The worst thing is the DREADFUL hot sweats. I now get mini jerks. I can feel my back pain slightly now. Mild constipation is a side effect but it's resolved my IBS. I've have had the odd tear on 30mg; making me feel more like 'me'. I'm thriving, and have a new dog. I'd like to come off as I like my wine; but we'll see.”

omacor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2020

For Anxiety: “Did wonders about the anxiety issues I was having for years; caused a panic attack on the 2nd day of starting it but everything was fine after that. Sadly the effect was only for about 8 months and I had to change it.”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Always In Pain · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “Cymbalta is somewhat costly. Initially prescribed for lower back pain. The first 2-3 months, it worked VERY well. It helped with the back pain, and, improved my general mood. Bonus feature, it was helping with my permanent migraine. I had only a few side effects, at first, but, they started building up. Insomnia to the point of 15 minutes of sleep, or less, per day (for over a month), spontaneous ejaculation, cold sweats, no sex drive. Started to get a few electric shock-like sensations in the extremities. Started to feel zombie-like. I came off the stuff cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms included MANY shock-like jolts to hands & feet (for about 6 years), a few months of a zombie-like feeling (Low drive) I'd rate it GOOD for a short-term use (1-2 months). Anything longer than 3 months, I would strongly advise against. (As any other anti-depressant)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “Not good. Try to change your situation without using cymbalta. If you cannot exercise to relieve your pain then try deep breathing and relaxing music, books or walking. If you are bed ridden, pray and use mindful thinking. It requires time and dedication. Learn stretches with deep breaths but be careful to not break or injure yourself.”

Nicki · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I personally loved this medication. Although it didn’t really help with my back pain, it helped with my anxiety as well as depression. It took almost a numbing effect, so I wasn’t feeling the emotions as strongly as I used to. But I’ve heard it works differently for some other people. I recommend trying it out, thanks for reading.”

Jo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on Cymbalta for about a year now and just recently increased dosage from 60mg to 90mg because of depressive episodes during quarantine. I've not had problems with the drug until now. I recently have started having trouble staying asleep, although falling asleep hasn't been an issue. I've also wet the bed which is extremely unusual as I haven't done that since I was a child. Overall, it has helped relieve suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks, but the higher dosage side effects are really making me consider going back down to 60mg.”

GoobersMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I have been on 60mg Duloxetine daily for 1 month, 30mg daily before that to wean off Effexor. The Duloxetine was so ineffective & the withdrawal from the Effexor was so bad that I had to take both for about 6 weeks. Now with no Effexor I am back to feeling no effects from Duloxetine. I'm painfully depressed and have sudden bouts of extreme anger & irritability. I cry all the time, have no appetite, and hate going out in public. I've been on every antidepressant on the market. With Duloxetine, I might as well be eating Tic Tacs.”

Julles43 May 26, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “Took Cymbalta for severe nerve pain. (Hemangioblastoma removal inside spinal cord @ C4,5,6). It worked well for the pain and I had little side effects. Came to a point my doctor and I decided I didn’t need it anymore. Then the fun began. I don’t care what kind of issue you have or how much pain you are in - DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! Trying to get off this was the worst thing I could ever have imagined and it went on for months!! The list of symptoms was long and bizarre. I can’t stress enough how bad it was...please, please don’t take even 1. PS To Loulou: after being deathly ill for weeks I called my doctor, again, and they told me to just start taking it again and start tapering off again at another time! What?!? No frigging way so I suffered through almost six months of horrid withdrawal. It does go away, I promise! You aren’t alone - I felt EXACTLY the same way you do now! Hang in and do not start taking it again!! Good luck to you!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: “I had previously got steroid injections for DDD and hip problems all caused from earlier undiagnosed injury as a child. Later in life turned into severe arthritis and facet joint issues. I am only 38 years old. The injections made me feel like a puffer fish and weight ballooned from fluid retention. However it got my inflammation down. So after speaking to my doctor and not wanting to resort to these injections again she tried me on Cymbalta. At first I will say side effects were odd and I felt awful. Helped immediately with weight loss however and after 2 weeks I started to level off and be able to do things I hadn't in almost a year. I literally couldn't bend to pick up my baby. Everyone is different but I have pretty severe back issues daily and for this to be as positive as it was after the first 2 weeks has made a great impact on my life.”

Anonymous May 25, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: “I have fibromyalgia, the pain was so bad that I wanted to die!! I started taking 30 mg and worked up to 60mg , after one week at 30 I could already tell a difference at 60 mg I no longer have any pain and I'm very happy, the only side effect I have is a decreased sex drive ( I'm male )”

KM · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I read these reviews before starting Duloxotine for Fibro, and I was terrified to try it. To my surprise it works great and the side effects are not bad for me at all. The first 2 weeks, I felt unlike myself (a little on edge and runny nose, and insomnia) but that all faded at about 1.5 weeks. After that nothing really... but wow it works. Took the pain down from about 7/8 to about 3/4 on the pain scale. And that is only at the 30mg lowest dose. I am sure I could go up to 60 mg like my doctor recommended, but I would rather keep it minimal and deal with the remaining low level of pain. And I have missed a dose and didn't recognize anything abnormal like the "zaps" everyone talks about on here. I will update this review if anything changes, because I realize its just as important to read the good reviews, especially when you are worried to try a new medicine.”

Martinb · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I tried SSRI (paroxetine) for couple years on and off. I was off the drugs for couple years and then I decided to try SNRI drug first Effexor and then Cymbalta/Dulexotine. I took it for about 2 years. Taking this drug felt horrible. When I finally managed to got off of it (with extreme withdrawal symptoms). Immediately after getting off the drug I had these leg pain and tingling in my feet and was was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I was 30 at the time and have no history of Diabetes in my very large extended family. Love to hear from anybody with more to say about this… Something tells me my usage of SSRI and mainly the SNRI is what brought about my T1D diagnosis. Anybody else with similar story? What are your thoughts about this? Thanks”

Clmtqm · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “After thirty years of taking Effexor which did not help my MDD, it was recently revealed to me in a Gene test from GenoMind in my Psychiatrist/Neurologists office that my body cannot take Effexor not several others, and that Cymbalta would be effective. I tried two others the test suggested, but stopped due to terrible side effects. Cymbalta 60mg along with critically depleted in MDD patients Methylfolate 15mg, and Ace-L-Carnitine have given me my life back. Although I think it’s causing night sweats, it has taken the edge off of the stress from chronic pain, as well as, PTSD, and I’m more calm and at peace. I’m able to shower, eat, and leave the house again. It’s been a miracle for me. Not perfect, but definitely a life changer.”