User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 2,038 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of those users who reviewed Duloxetine reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Small Fiber Neuropathy  Off-label
Summary of Duloxetine reviews 6.2 2,038 reviews

Reviews for Duloxetine

Razzles115 · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2021

For Depression: “I was prescribed this during a terribly bad depression, having had no luck or bad side effects from many other antidepressants. I took it for 2 days and had to stop. I suffered with vertigo, nausea and vomiting for 4 days. I couldn't even keep water down. I barely slept, my mind was racing and I just wanted it all to end. My chest felt like it was burning hot but I couldn't stop shaking. I had to see paramedics because I became so ill. If you are sensitive to side effects I would stay away from this. I was so hopeful after reading some positive reviews but I have never felt so awful.”

sgonez2109 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 20, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “duloxetine did nothing for me but induce my mania and depression. I was also misdiagnosed. My emotions felt a little torturous because I couldn’t control my emotions at all. I fell into depression being slightly triggered and tapering off this medication it sucked so badly. It’s been the worst, with my mood swings, crying spells, hypomanic episodes, depressive ones became triggered etc etc.”

Jk27 · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2021

For Anxiety: “Took this medication around 12 last night and right away started to experience weird side effects. hallucinations and made PTSD worse. Tight chest and faster heartbeat. At one point I couldn't move my arms or legs. Kept waking up because of sweating. Woke up for the final time around half 3 this morning being violently sick, and had to go to A&E. Doctors told me never to take this medication again, it can cause serotonin syndrome.”

Boomer · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Don’t let the negative comments on here scare you. The truth is, Cymbalta works beautifully for some people and some people hate it. But that’s true with ANY antidepressant! Cymbalta saved me from extreme, constant anxiety and panic attacks. But I have tried other drugs-Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac,etc. Figured out I cannot take ANY SSRI. They cause my anxiety to go through the roof! Cymbalta is a SNRI. Works differently. I could not only tolerate it- it saved me. So, no- the medication shouldn’t be banned. It works wonders for some of us. If it didn’t work for you, accept it and try something else. But don’t scare other people away from trying something that could change their life in a positive way. They affect everyone differently, they all have side effects that differ for everyone and they are all difficult to quit taking.”

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “I've been on Cymbalta for about a month now for lack of energy, depression and chronic back pain. I started with 30mg/D and one week later to 60mg/D. I had some mild nausea a few days after starting the 30mg and nothing at all with 60. This medication is changing my life and is doing everything it's supposed to do. The back pain is gone almost completely, I'm energized, focused and calm. I can now put in a full productive day just like everyone else and not be dragging myself around by noon. I was very scared to start because I read all the scary reviews but I love, love, love this stuff!”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Cymbalta changed my life. I felt the change almost instantly. Freed me from lifelong depression, I feel as if I am reborn. Yes I do feel a lack of appetite but honestly that’s a plus for me. The other side effects I felt have all subsided now and it’s only been a week. I felt like a zombie for the first four days but now my energy is back and I am happy. Haven’t been happy for a very long time.”

Singer · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “Don't be afraid to try this medication. I have been taking it for about four months now for depression and anxiety and it seemed to turn a light on in my brain. There were some mild side effects at first, but they passed off--the only thing I notice now are some weird dreams. I have taken SSRIs off and on for over twenty years. This was the first time I had taken an SNRI and I feel better--I'm calmer, I think more clearly, and things that bothered me a lot seem much more manageable now. If your provider prescribes this medication, at least give it a try.”

FunnyBone February 8, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I just want to share my positive experience with Cymbalta, since there are so many negative reviews out here. Before this drug, I was on Celexa, then Lexapro...for depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks. The SSRIs left me feeling flat inside and there were days I couldn't even get out of bed. Cymbalta has changed my life. I have no depression at the moment and have much more energy. I'm more social and have started working out again. In the first few weeks, I had minor side effects - fatigue, brain fog, headaches and nausea. They went away after a few weeks. Glad I stuck it out.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “I'm finally free from the grips of anxiety and depression. I just feel normal. First week of Cymbalta was rough. Didn't know if I could do it. Nausea. Couldn't stay awake. Diarrhea. I stuck with it. Week 2, symptoms started to fade. I'm on month 4, this is the best I've felt in so long! I'm not numb, I still get nervous, I'm still awkward, I'm still myself! But it doesn't control me! I'm in the moment now! I'm not faking It! The only side effect now that I currently have is occasional night sweats. Which I will take any day of the week over how I felt before! I've lost weight. I no longer have low blood sugar. I feel like my entire body makeup has been changed for the better! It's hard to explain. And I know some people may be skeptical. I'm 40 years old and this is the best I've felt in over 20 years.”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

jode71 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 24, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I have been on Cymbalta for years at a dose of 120mg daily. This medication has helped my depression heaps. It has also helped manage my chronic pain and anxiety. Before starting on Cymbalta I was hospitalised several times with depression. I have been on Cymbalta for about 8 years and have had zero Hospital admissions since. I do still get times I have bad depression and anxiety but Cymbalta has made it more manageable. I do get a few side effects such as sweating but I would prefer that over feeling suicidal.”

GleeAgain · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “This is the only med that has helped my nerve pain/neuropathy. Lyrica & Neurotin didn’t work. One made me dizzy, the other made my nerve pain worse. I was scared to try Cymbalta after hearing some people say they hated it. Honestly it’s been a Godsend for me. I still have other kinds of pain, but the pins & needles & tingling & burning are no longer there. I take a narcotic a few times a day, but 1/2 what I did before Cymbalta. I may have had some weight gain from it, but I don’t know if it’s this or just my age & diet mostly. I can’t get off the Cymbalta for now as it helps too much. I also used to have some anxiety/panic attacks & I don’t have them on this. I’m able to stop myself thank God. I have a happy sex life with my husband & no negative side effects (except possibly a few pounds). I also have low back pain less frequently. You don’t know til you try it how it might work for you. I take 60mg/night 4-5 years. I’m 45 years old.”

JDMAM June 10, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Remember this, everyone is different. Find the right medicine for you. I went on Cymbalta 7 years ago after I had an autoimmune disease and suffered from depression & anxiety. It was great. I went off of it for 3.5 years. Now, married with two kids, my life was what I wanted, yet I was miserable--so much anxiety, mood swings, snapping at my husband and kids, no interest in fun activities. I couldn't stand myself. I decided to give Cymbalta a try again (generic version). Initial side effects lasted a week. SO tired, brain fog, no appetite, headache. By day 7, all gone. I can't believe how fast it's working for me. My anxiety is gone. I am calm and easy going. I feel like the best version of myself. I'm laughing with my kids and husband and don't overreact. I actually am looking forward to doing activities and I have been enjoying them. I have been more productive at work and oddly more organized. I've tried other medicine and it's shut me down like a zombie.”

JB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “Wonderful/best antidepressant on the market considering I’ve tried...Paxil, Prozac, celexa horrible!! Non worked and serious adverse starting effects! I’m on Cymbalta for depression and hydroxyzine for anxiety...Do Not Ever let a Doc put you on Klonopin WARNING ⚠️ I’ve learned from that the hard way...so what I have now is so much better..I wake up enjoying life and I feel there is hope beyond the dark..”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “I've seen a lot of horror stories about Cymbalta but its been great for me. I started at 30mg's for a week then went up to 60mg's I've been on it for 5 months now and feel great. I had no side effects at all. Everybody reacts differently to meds”

Maggsoct October 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “I am taking the time to write a positive review for Cymbalta to hopefully help another person considering this medication. Dose and Side effects -> My experience has been good with brand version of Cymbalta for 1 month - 30 mg. Day 1 a bit nauseous and diarrhea. Nothing else except constipation. Relief-> I suffer from nerve / chronic pain. I felt relief from back pain week 1 and at week 3 my nerve pain is calming down. I have not gained weight. Cymbalta->For those considering this medication, take time to read the good reviews and consider the brand version if you can afford it. Generics aren’t the exact replicas of the original brand. There are umpteen different versions of generics and vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. So you never know what kind you're going to get. Take time to do your research -> I work in medical education. The information is out there on the net to educate us on side effects, generics, withdrawal etc.”

kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I turned to this drug at my very lowest. Suicidal thoughts and constant lethargy became daily reminders of how depressed I really was. I realized I’d either find a solution or my life would be at risk. The solution was Cymbalta. After 6ish weeks, I began to enjoy activities again and felt very motivated to carry out tasks. My social anxiety now is nearly nonexistent. I’m not happy every day, but the darkness that used to envelope me has subsided and I can say that I see the light at the end of the tunnel (before the drug I couldn’t imagine my life a year in advance because I didn’t know if I’d make it there). My sex drive did suffer a little, but not very much. I will continue to take this drug as long as it continues to help me. Overall, although the withdrawal symptoms may be terrible in the future, Cymbalta truly saved my life and has been worth every penny. Give it time to work and don’t let the negative reviews scare you away if you really need the help.”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I’ve been taking Cymbalta at a dose of 40 mg for 1 week now, I feel light headed. Not really depressed or having anxiety, but I can’t sleep and I have no appetite. I’m already under weight. Feeling stoned all day. My stomach also churns all night. I think there must be something more tolerable for me. I can’t function. Any suggestions?”

Anonymous August 12, 2008

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “The Cymbalta took about three weeks to kick in. The side effects started out really strong; dizziness, sweating, no appetite, sleepiness, dry mouth. Now I've been on one month and all of my side effects are gone. I don't have any sexual side effects. As far as treating my depression it's amazing. It's like the light has been turned on again and I can see the good in life. Advice; if you're prescribed this medication, give it a good try - the side effects do diminish. From what I see here, it seems like this works for a lot of people.”

Joyful1975 · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “Hi, I am at the end of week one 30mg Cymbalta, and it is like a brand new me.. although today I have hit a little bit of a low, I am so much better. Cymbalta literally has saved my life and my marriage PRAISE GOD!!!!! I am looking forward to each day and know with time all will level out. No more extreme lows with suicidal thoughts, sleeping all day long, just wanting life to end. I wished I would have let my pride go a long time ago & told my doctor I needed help. Wednesday is my birthday and I am looking forward to spending it with my husband... Yay!!! 44 and hopeful for the future.”

Galen · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “I have been on Cymbalta for over a year (60mg per day) and this has been life changing. No side effects at all and my chronic nerve pain (from a herniated disc) is down about 98%. I recommend anyone with nerve pain to at least try this one. I take the generic version.”

PennyQuick · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: “Taking Cymbalta is like having someone turn off the switch that controls my anxiety. It’s hard for me to comprehend how I lived with constant anxiety for most of my life now that is controlled. I will say this is a medicine that you must commit to taking as prescribed. Missing doses will bring the anxiety back full force.”

Krstnmrrny · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I was prescribed 30mg a day by my doc. I took my first dose after dinner as suggested. Around 4am I woke up and the room was spinning. I had pain in my stomach as if I had food poisoning. I wasn't able to fall asleep and I didn't get up because I knew I would vomit. I took another dose next day and I experienced shivering, chills, sweaty palms, anxiety, dilated pupils. I thought maybe it would improve or subside, but the third day I woke up, looked on the mirror and a gaunt, pale face with large pupils was staring back at me. I jumped in the shower and was shivering so badly I thought I would go into cardiac arrest right then and there. I should've went to the ER. I was so scared. I stopped the med immediately. My doc switched me to lexapro and I filled the script but I'm too shaken up from my exp with Cymbalta I'm holding off until I feel myself again. I'm in recovery and I haven't felt like that on any drug in the past. Quite unnerving. Never again. And don't recommend.”

Sydney2468 · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: “My primary doc put me on this cause I have Fibromyalgia depression and anxiety. I have been on 30mg for three weeks now and the side effects....well I have none. In the beginning for the first two weeks I had minimal. I’m going to stay on this dose instead of going up to 60mg since it’s working. I went to dinner last night, sleeping better, pain is much better, and I actually want to leave the house. Remember go slow whether ur going on this med or coming off. Stay on each dose at least a month before moving up or down to the next and your side effects stabilize.”

Caligrammy · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “I have been on Cymbalta for 3 weeks and feel great — free of spine pain and aches that follow surgeries. No longer am I taking pain meds or high doses of aspirin. Keep pinching myself that this is real!”

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: “One of the worst medications ever. 1st 5 days, had no desire to do anything. Complete apathy about everything. Also had terrible nausea for 5 days. That finally went away. Then it started feeling like something was literally tapping on my brain. It did nothing for the chronic pain I had. I don't know how anyone can take this medicine. Stopped taking it. Had a headache for a few days, that was it.”

Jackie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: “I have been on almost every anti-depression medication there is and Cymbalta has been the absolute best in not only helping my depression but my nerve pain. I’ve had zero side effects with this medication. That has never happened especially as a female. If you’ve tried everything and nothing has helped. I highly recommend this medication. With therapy and medication it has really helped a lot.”