User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Duloxetine.

Persistent Depressive Disorder

Urinary Incontinence
4.4

Summary of Duloxetine reviews 6.6 1,367 reviews

Reviews for Duloxetine

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: "I started taking Cymbalta for fibromyalgia in July of 2017. Prior to this, I was already taking Prozac for anxiety and depression, so making the switch seemed logical. The Cymbalta would help with those symptoms, while also combating the pain and fatigue I was experiencing from fibromyalgia. Honestly, it's been life-changing for me. I feel like my old self again. I'm relatively pain free and my energy levels are up. Prior to starting Cymbalta, the pain was so bad that I wanted to die. I even told my husband to divorce me because I didn't want him to be saddled with taking care of me. I was sleeping my life away, missing out on dinner and time with my family. I wore my hair in a bun every day because I didn't have the energy to even hold the blow dryer. It was really bad. I'm 95% back to who I was before fibro entered my life. I would highly recommend Cymbalta to any other fibro fighters out there."

JamieJulep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "I have had fibromyalgia for 30. yrs. My M.D was supportive, - resorted to hydrocodone. It worked, but I hated taking opiates. Then my husband died. My doctor upped my hydrocodone to 4, 10mg a day. My Fibro was worse. Went to a pain clinic. Awful. I went to a psychiatrist. He put me on a low dose of xanax, for crying nightly. Still Pain! I returned to the psychiatrist. I was on Cymbalta, 60 mg., for depression, but still had Fibro without opiates. Psychiatrist told me to take 60 more mg of Cymbalta. Next day I was a new person! No pain, wonderful mood.Everyone is different. I am off opiates, and down to 0.5 xanax."

CissiePa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on this medication for depression and possible help with fibromyalgia for a couple of years. My doctor had me on so many meds, I started taking myself off one at the time, with his approval. The Cymbalta was by far the worse withdrawals of anything I have ever taken. It was three solid months of withdrawals, cold, hot, tingles on my head and body. Even with a slow decrease in dosage, it was horrible. I would not allow anyone I care about to use this drug."

Sunshine32456 February 15, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have tried so many medications for my depression and anxiety and nothing had worked. I was hospitalized as I was feeling suicidal and the Dr thought right away that Cymbalta would work for me. It did! I also suffer from migraines which have improved as well. Starting up on the med was okay, but after 4 weeks I developed insomnia that lasted six months and finally went away. The meds also make me crave sweets in the evenings and I never had a sweet tooth before. I’ve heard other similar stories. My anxiety has also improved and I am currently tapering off of Clonazepam. I continue to get healthier on this medication. It offered me the crutch I needed to take care of myself, practice coping techniques learned in therapy, and get better."

Zenbound (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: "Wonderful until you come off it. 8 Years on Cymbalta for Chronic Pain and now 2 years of Brain Zaps, Fog ,Fatigue, Anger, depression etc. It is worse than crack. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy."

KenWoods (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2018

For Depression: "I'm 64 years young and was prescribed duloxetine for depression after my daughter passed away from leukemia three years ago. Started at 30mg once a day. I gained a lot of weight and I can't honestly say wether it helped my depression. The doctor then upped the dosage to 60mg per day and I developed a itchy rash under my eyes and around my nose. I then noticed that I was having problems with urinating. I had to "push" really hard to completely void my bladder! I suspected the duloxetine as the culprit as the difficulty in urinating started when I increased the dosage from 30 to 60mg. I stopped taking altogether and immediately started feeling better! Did not have any withdrawal affects and the urination problem went away as well as the rash around my nose and eyes. It might be good for some people but it took me a long time to find out it's not for me!"

Audreys Pappy February 8, 2018

For Depression: "I am taking duloxetine, just had a horrific experience with the generic manufacture Solco. I have taken 4 different manufacture versions in 3 different dosages since June 2017. First day talking a Solco pill I had depressive episode, woke up next morning and had a panic attack. Crying, severe headache on right side, unconscious arm and leg twitching, inability to control my voice volume, loss of coordination. It was as if I suddenly reversed what remission I had achieved and broke through to a whole new ultra low. This went on 4 days before I suspected my meds. Went to ER because I thought I might be dying. Walgreens doesn't want to stock Tevas pills, and CVS has to special order them too, leaving me with a different manufacture and dosage combination again. I was really excited to feel good again, but I had to crawl back to start over a proprietary formula and delivery method that has no published science available to the public. I will report this to the FDA."

Sciencebitch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed 20mg Cymbalta and while I was on the medication (3 months), my depression settled and I felt happy & motivated. However coming off cymbalta I experienced night sweats, low moods, mania, paranoia, anger and I convinced myself I had many mental disorders. I tried to put myself into psychiatric care. Please DO NOT take this medication, it is very new and doctors shouldn't be recommending it."

Gia19287 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "This was the first antidepressant I had ever taken. I had one 30mg dose of this drug and within 15 minutes I felt electric shocks/ tingly sensations throughout my body (mostly arms and legs) as well as a burning sensation which continued for several days. I felt extremely nauseous and had flu like symptoms of feeling hot and cold. My doctor advised me to take this drug before sleeping as it would make me drowsy. However, after taking the drug I was not able to sleep at all for 2 days and developed fractal like hallucinations due to the drug. I had to go to the ER as I could not cope with the hallucinations and was not physically able to sleep. I was advised by the hospital doctor that these side effects occur in only 1-5% of people who take Cymbalta, whom are elderly. I am 19 years old. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous January 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "27 years old, female. This medicine has helped me a lot, it literally saved my life. I was prescribed this medication for moderate depression and severe GAD after I stopped Prozac as it couldn't help anymore. So far Cymbalta is working for me, changed my entire life, and solved all my mental problems (not only mood swings and GAD). My doctor wanted me to take 60 mg dozes, but I started off with 30 mgs and I felt that is enough, so I'm still taking it now in this dosage. I haven't had any side effects. I still have some mild mood swings during my period and I'm still very sensible, but I feel this to be normal and connected to my basic personality type."

Lilla Molnar January 27, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Cymbalta since 2004 for major depression. I take it every day, 60mg when I wake up & 60mg before bed. This medication has absolutely saved my life. I went through trial & error for years, with every antidepressant out there, my psychiatrist even went back & had me try different combinations of those med's with no success. It is a fast working medication, (pro) within days of starting Cymbalta I felt/showed signs of improvement, (con) if I miss one day, it's definitely obvious to those around me, & I digress emotionally. Besides major depression, my neurologist has also diagnosed me with "suspected CTE,(Chronic traumatic encephalopathy)" due to multiple TBI's & concussions. I am a retired National level athlete."

Milli G (taken for 10 years or more) January 27, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: "Started this medicine on 1/17/2018 - It has worked wonders for me. I haven't known what pain-free was for 10+ years. The first day or two I was a bit nauseous and had on and off headaches, but felt a decrease in pain immediately. After the 2nd day, nausea passed and I've felt great other than being tired all the time, but I'm used to that. I hope everyone else can feel a relief with this medicine like I have."

Ash-painfree January 26, 2018

For Depression: "Anxiety, depression, chronic pain. I don't recommend for anyone! Instant migraine, hard to breathe, and severe pain from the inside out that you can only sit and suffer through until it hopefully wears off. I took it twice and both times it happened immediately and I don't feel it wearing off. I feel like I'm dying. Please don't try"

Anonymous.teller (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: "When starting this medicine I was assured it was very safe and easy to stop. Initially it did help with pain, with what seemed like minimal side effects. So I continued for about 6 yrs. My pain was slowing getting worse each year and I got to a point of wanting to detox from everything (medicine & food with toxins). I started with stopping cymbalta after being assured it would be a safe easy withdrawal. It was the worst nightmare ever! It truly came so close to costing me my life. I would recommend not ever taking this for any reason. If you are already on it, take the weaning off very slow and extremely delicately. B12 shots and lots of Vitamin D with K together, will help some."

dfr75 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 25, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking cymbalta for 3 1/2 years, and now being weened off and I'm miserable!"

JoKos34 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "I was prescribed Cymbalta 90mg for nerve pain. Previously, I tried gabapentin, & Lyrica with significant side effects. However, with the Cymbalta, I noticed a huge difference within 24 hours after I started taking it. I did recently miss a couple days, and there is a noticeable withdrawal, mostly headaches. After missing the couple days, it has taken longer this time to kick back in. This tiny little pill has actually allowed me to lower my pain meds significantly and is treating my depression. I was able to stop both Prozac and Fentanyl (75mcg/48hrs). I do think, because of the possible withdrawal symptoms that one should first try gabapentin or Lyrica. For me, Cymbalta was a life changer; my miracle medicine!"

PainOnMyNerves (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: "Do not recommend. It made my back pain somewhat diminish at a major price. Side effects: Short term memory loss, severe headaches, severe hair loss (my shower drain clogs from all my hair that is falling out!), chronic numbing/tingling right arm, dental issues, body odor, extreme sweating and body heat spikes, complete loss of sexual interest, extreme fatigue, insomnia, malaise, more hair loss, constipation, confusion, technicolorish disturbing dreams, felt like I had the flu, ocular issues of dry scratchy eyes and floaters with flashing lights, weight gain. Had to then take a Benzedrine to sleep, migraine meds and a chemo nausea control drug. Had no get up and go. Flatliner. Just weaned myself off of Cymbalta and feel like myself again!"

Debbie W. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2018

For Back Pain: "I was prescribed Duloxetine 30 mg and was on it for over a month. I felt spaced out, my vision became blurry . I was withdrawn, felt empty, disassociated from friends, did not feel at all like the outgoing person I am. I was taking it for chronic lower back pain. For my back and nerve pain I noticed a slight improvement in pain tolerance however from the side effects it’s not worth it. I was also at one point prescribed Lyrica - this drug is the worst. I couldn’t understand why I was feeling so sleepy at work and I had to drive to get to work and they prescribe this rubbish...I took myself off duloxetine along with all the other pills prescribed."

SO Out of it January 20, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "Prescribed 120mg, I would take 60 mg in the summer 120 mg in the winter for years. It was great. The pain was minimal if any. But the withdrawal of missing a dose is too much. I felt like someone was shocking me in the head with a stun gun. The dizziness is a bit much as well. So if you decide to use this drug take it every day at the same time."

Chula's Grandma January 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "Great for my fibromyalgia, anxiety/depression A plus"

rebjen Take for fibromyalgia January 17, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have Gen. Anxiety and Major Depressive Disorder. I took this med 5 days. I would not recommend this to anyone. The side effects were unbearable. I'd talk about mine but they already cut them. They rushed the testing time for side effects and rushed thru FDA. This med is also found addictive so come down dose slowly if you need to stop. God bless to those ppl that it helped."

clueless18 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

For Depression: "I have only been on this medicine for 3 days at 30mg. I was jittery, had headaches and was disoriented. The second day I could not lift my head up. The room was spinning and my heart started to feel as if it was coming out of my chest. All I could do was fall asleep and hope the symptoms would go away. The third day of taking this, I was so disorientated that I had to go straight to the ER. They immediately gave me IV to try and clear this out of my system. I am still in the hospital. Now 2 days off this Med and slowly feeling better. Please please do not take this Med. I thought I was going to pass."

Anonymous January 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "I've been on Cymbalta for just less than a month. It has been a life saver for me. I have C-PTSD, brain trauma, anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I've taken more meds than I can even remember. Cymbalta us working great and no side effects. I can go out in public now without anxiety attacks and I'm not sitting on the couch afraid to move. Good med for me. I take other meds also and was taken off of Klonopin. I know have more energy and happiness."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "Cymbalta worked great for me and I'm blessed that it did. I had read many reviews of those unable to take it for various reasons and that scared me but my Dr. suggested I try it and I'm so glad I did. For 16 months I had zero anxiety and I went through hell for part of that time. Things were going so well I decided to get off of it because taking it had negatively impacted my BP. I went from 60mg to 30mg for 30 days and then started 20mg. During the time I was on 20mg I had my first anxiety attack in 16 months! I'm back on 60mg and hoping once a few weeks pass of being back on maintenance dose that the anxiety will go away again! Wish I had never tried to get off of it!"

Hoopita (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "Didnt do much for OCD, Social Phobia, and other anxiety issues."

yearsofocd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018