User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Learn more about Duloxetine.

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Urinary Incontinence 4 reviews 49 medications

4.4
Summary of Duloxetine reviews 1168 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Duloxetine

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I like it, but it is not as good as I thought."

cadenhong January 16, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "First day I took the first 20mg capsule...thought I was going to have a seizure and was having a full blown panic attack. She had given me this for anxiety and for pain (didn't help either: in fact made BOTH the pain and anxiety worse) I couldn't sleep that night. I was supposed to try it for 3 weeks before she upped my dose but I said no way. I threw the bottle away and don't ever want to put one in my body again. It almost strangely reminded me of being on a stimulant (adderall or vyvanse) but it wasn't pleasant or made me focus. I was extremely distracted and panicking so much. I cried for hours."

Anonymous January 16, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "Cymbalta helped me overcome my depression. I was on the medication for about a year and a half. I think having a great talk therapist was also key. I focused on cognitive behavioral therapy. I did not experience any side effects while on cymbalta."

Anonymous January 14, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "Rheumatologist put me on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I started on the medication, 20 mg, I think. I worked at a bank at the time and 1 week into taking it I was having anxiety attacks at work. I had anxiety before this but not in social situations like this. I stayed on it for another week or so but took myself off. She also put me on amitriptine for muscle relaxation at night. First it knocked me the heck out, then within 2 wks I would wake up with bad cramps in my legs and such tension/contraction in all my muscles that I couldn't sleep. Weaned myself off of that too. Told Dr what happened, she said it wasn't the medicine causing the symptoms. Right.. 10 months later still have anxiety, voice is shaky, not working."

Escape from anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "I was prescribed Cymbalta 20mg @1/day, first thing in the morning for severe sciatic pain. After about 3 days I experienced considerable relief in my pain and stays away until around 8-8:30 PM. What I don't like is the constant sweating. I can be sitting still and start to sweat. It's all facial sweating and it can last for hours. I spoke with my doctor about it and she prescribed Wellbutrin to be taken with the Cymbalta. I tried it for a few days and that gave me diarrhea so I opted to deal with the sweats. Other side effect is muscle or involuntary jerking. Especially when I'm lying still in bed. I just wish big pharma could invent a pill that doesn't have so many side effects and just do what it's designed to do."

LJnDC (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I took my first dose of Cymbalta last night and woke up in the early morning seriously nauseated and actually vomited. I went to work and I am struggling to stay awake. I already nodded off a couple of times. I don't think this med is going to work for me."

SashaL (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Have been on multiple antidepressants in my lifetime, all were duds. They caused weight gain, fluctuating moods, extreme sadness. My doctor has recently prescribed me 20mg of Cymbalta, after 2 weeks I will switch to 40mg, 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. After reading reviews online I am hopeful, as everyone has reviewed it mainly positive. Currently after being on it for 5 days I am experiencing MAJOR nausea. I can barely breathe without wanting to throw up everywhere. Thankfully, a coworker has given me "phenergan", which is used for nausea, but it is a prescription pill. I called my doctor and explained that this has helped, and she refused putting me on another prescription just to treat the side effects of Cymbalta. SOS!"

Gigi F (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "I'm on cymbalta 30mg for my anxiety and depression and I have been on it for a month I have no side effects but nausea and being tired but that all went away in about 2 weeks but great meds works great for me"

Lisapl January 9, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "I have Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor Associated Periodic Syndrome (TRAPS Syndrome) and am in near constant pain (joints, pleurisy & abdominal) I started with 90mg of Cymbalta after breakfast and it certainly takes the edge off of the pain! I don't really have any side effects to speak of. I also take Plaquenil & Sulfasalazine for joint stiffness and rash with fever."

Vettegurrl January 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "Just started taking this med 5 days ago after 5 years on Celexa. Celexa always left me at an "I'm fine" state and I just said that "I just am older, so I shouldn't expect to have the energy I had in high school" (I'm 26). Two months ago, my meds seemed to stop working all together. My doc decided we should counter-taper meds between Celexa and Cymbalta. Day one of Cymbalta on the lowest dose, I felt absolutely amazing. I have all of my full range of emotions and so much energy and concentration! For about 8 hours on Day 2, my eyebrow would twitch on and off, but that's gone. I'm planning on discussing with my doc about keeping the low dose (he suggested one up) and just completely getting rid of Celexa and see how that works. I'm ecstatic!"

Jezy January 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I just started taking"

Bebs January 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "This medication saved my life. I was severely depressed with suicidal thoughts...felt miserable and completely hopeless. The hardest thing was the first couple of weeks on this drug. I had nausea fatigue headaches etc. But please if you are suffering stick with it. 6 weeks later I am happy hopeful trying new things and loving life. This is a medication that takes TIME so be patient. But it has completely changed my life and I am so grateful."

Leahlo915 January 5, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "I had a patient attack me back in 1997 resulting in L shoulder ligament tears, which required surgery. Months after the surgery my L arm was very painful, cold, the skin hurt to touch it. I would cry with the pain daily. After seeing the orthopedic again just before surgery I asked what are you going to do about the cold temperature in my arm. To this point I had only seen physician assistance. The MD took one look at my arm, cancelled the surgery for the next day and sent me immediately to see another Dr in Jacksonville, FL. This Dr took one look at my arm and knew that moment what it was, RSD reflex sympathetic dystrophy. They tried several medications and he sent me to a pain specialists. He stared me on Cymbalta 120 mg daily."

DebMRN (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "By the third dose, I had experienced chest tightness, dry mouth, dilated pupils, dizziness and a loss of emotions. The most interference in my life was the dizziness. I did not want to drive the 25 miles to work and back due to feeling dizzy. The side effect that bothered me the most was the lack of feeling emotions. I felt very detached from any emotion and was unable to cry, laugh or feel love. I discontinued the drug after the third dose. This was not the way I wanted to feel while dealing with moderate anxiety. I'll look for herbal remedies and remain in therapist-guided talk therapy. I don't want to be a dizzy emotional zombie. I am also scared to death, from what I've read, to discontinue this drug due to horrendous bad side effects."

Susana Cruz (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: "It works in subtle ways. It was supposed to help with RA pain but it has actually helped my outlook on my daily life as well. I feel hope and have extra energy. This relief of pain has helped me be able to draw better boundaries around situations I was allowing to happen in my life. The side effects are mild. I also like that I am not gaining weight. Subtle changes, but works great and in ways I did not expect. It has not taken away my RA pain, but has muted it a bit."

6 weeks - Cymbalta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on 30 mg for GAD and insomnia. After a month or so, I became so hyper and my insomnia went from only sleeping a few hours every day to having days of no sleep. Ativan, which had always helped me sleep, no longer worked. My thoughts were scattered, often terrifying so it was good they were brief I guess (it "cured" the anxiety, as I couldn't worry about something before the thought of it was just gone), I couldn't focus, became unable to work at all. I was weaned off about two weeks ago, still can't function at all. I am a bit better now than when on it, but far worse than I was before. I wish I never touch this stuff, I feel like I will never get my life back again, certainly never my career."

cutenickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I haven't noticed any help at all with my depression, my anxiety has gotten worse and I've never been so tired in my life. Also I'm all out sweating like crazy during the most very minimal tasks."

Tryinganother (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a 33 year old female recently prescribed 20mg of Cymbalta for Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD. This medication has rapidly stabilized my condition and greatly contributed to better mood regulation. In less than a week, Cymbalta alleviated suicidal thoughts and my level of distress in response to triggers. Intrusive memories and fearfulness have been very minimal. Daily crying episodes are significantly reduced. Short term side effects included nausea, sharp decrease in appetite, and fatigue. Ongoing side effects are dizziness, afternoon drowsiness, loss of appetite, and weight loss. Dizziness is manageable if I drink water throughout the day. No sexual side effects experienced while on this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Cymbalta has made a huge difference. I was in constant pain and emotionally distraught 24/7. Now, taking 60mg a day I feel alive again. The only thing i dont like is my inability to deep sleep but i will take it over constant pain and distress any day."

Angel5279 December 23, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I have been severely depressed over the past two years after the passing of my mother. MD tried me on Wellbutrin, Trazadone and Celexa. I continued on the Celexa for about 1 1/2 years but still had many days with depression and losing jobs only to remain in bed depressed, hopeless , tearful and suicidal thoughts. None of those meds worked for me. I have currently seen a new MD and changes my meds to Cymbalta in AM and Elavil in PM. These meds are miracle drugs for me. Been on them for a month now. I've never felt this good in years!!! "

Blessed37 December 22, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Was put on this after 5 days of no sleep with anxiety. It took week or two to kick in but has saved me. I am much more level and less anxious, no sleepless nights although I do take phenergan (antihistamine )to help with that"

Mattyjingle (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "please be cautious before taking cymbalta. I took cymbalta for 20 months, then decided to quit after changing my lifestyle. After discontinuing my perscription of 60mgs a day I endured brain zaps, insomnia, and eye pain for 3 weeks."

Ryan7741 December 20, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Cymbalta was a real game changer for me after a lot of trial and error with other antidepressants. It was prescribed to me in 2006 during a major depressive episode in my early twenties that required inpatient hospitalization. The results were remarkable. In a span of 24 hours, I had much greater mood regulation and was not ruminating on negative thoughts. Cymbalta was also helpful in developing healthy eating patterns after a period of binge eating. The appetite suppressing effect made it easier for me to modify portions and lose the weight I'd gained. I took Cymbalta for two years. The only lasting side effect was afternoon and evening tiredness. Titrating off the medication went well except for some nausea that eventually resided."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: "I take cymbalta for depression and anxiety. I've read a few comments on here and it sounds like a few people may have or had serotonin syndrome. It has happened to me in the past when a prior doct didn't pay attention to my meds. Please be safe. Cymbalta has helped me a lot. I went off for about 3 yrs and have had to go back on."

Ithelpsme (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: "At 60 years old with needle like pains and over 30 years of generalized anxiety it took two weeks of a little fog. I started taking at night 30mg. I am the guy I use to be today. Not worried about getting off because I'm not. I have tried it all and for depression caused by pain will fix this. Give it time. I put an X on each day and quit after a month. Smooth sailing."

RustyHinges December 15, 2016