User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Duloxetine.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression

"I'm 64 years young and was prescribed duloxetine for depression after my daughter passed away from leukemia three years ago. Started at 30mg once a day. I gained a lot of weight and I can't honestly say wether it helped my depression. The doctor then upped the dosage to 60mg per day and I developed a itchy rash under my eyes and around my nose. I then noticed that I was having problems with urinating. I had to "push" really hard to completely void my bladder! I suspected the duloxetine as the culprit as the difficulty in urinating started when I increased the dosage from 30 to 60mg. I stopped taking altogether and immediately started feeling better! Did not have any withdrawal affects and the urination problem went away as well as the rash around my nose and eyes. It might be good for some people but it took me a long time to find out it's not for me!"

Audreys Pappy February 8, 2018

"I am taking duloxetine, just had a horrific experience with the generic manufacture Solco. I have taken 4 different manufacture versions in 3 different dosages since June 2017. First day talking a Solco pill I had depressive episode, woke up next morning and had a panic attack. Crying, severe headache on right side, unconscious arm and leg twitching, inability to control my voice volume, loss of coordination. It was as if I suddenly reversed what remission I had achieved and broke through to a whole new ultra low. This went on 4 days before I suspected my meds. Went to ER because I thought I might be dying. Walgreens doesn't want to stock Tevas pills, and CVS has to special order them too, leaving me with a different manufacture and dosage combination again. I was really excited to feel good again, but I had to crawl back to start over a proprietary formula and delivery method that has no published science available to the public. I will report this to the FDA."

Sciencebitch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was prescribed 20mg Cymbalta and while I was on the medication (3 months), my depression settled and I felt happy & motivated. However coming off cymbalta I experienced night sweats, low moods, mania, paranoia, anger and I convinced myself I had many mental disorders. I tried to put myself into psychiatric care. Please DO NOT take this medication, it is very new and doctors shouldn't be recommending it."

Gia19287 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This was the first antidepressant I had ever taken. I had one 30mg dose of this drug and within 15 minutes I felt electric shocks/ tingly sensations throughout my body (mostly arms and legs) as well as a burning sensation which continued for several days. I felt extremely nauseous and had flu like symptoms of feeling hot and cold. My doctor advised me to take this drug before sleeping as it would make me drowsy. However, after taking the drug I was not able to sleep at all for 2 days and developed fractal like hallucinations due to the drug. I had to go to the ER as I could not cope with the hallucinations and was not physically able to sleep. I was advised by the hospital doctor that these side effects occur in only 1-5% of people who take Cymbalta, whom are elderly. I am 19 years old. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous January 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "27 years old, female. This medicine has helped me a lot, it literally saved my life. I was prescribed this medication for moderate depression and severe GAD after I stopped Prozac as it couldn't help anymore. So far Cymbalta is working for me, changed my entire life, and solved all my mental problems (not only mood swings and GAD). My doctor wanted me to take 60 mg dozes, but I started off with 30 mgs and I felt that is enough, so I'm still taking it now in this dosage. I haven't had any side effects. I still have some mild mood swings during my period and I'm still very sensible, but I feel this to be normal and connected to my basic personality type."

Lilla Molnar January 27, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on Cymbalta since 2004 for major depression. I take it every day, 60mg when I wake up & 60mg before bed. This medication has absolutely saved my life. I went through trial & error for years, with every antidepressant out there, my psychiatrist even went back & had me try different combinations of those med's with no success. It is a fast working medication, (pro) within days of starting Cymbalta I felt/showed signs of improvement, (con) if I miss one day, it's definitely obvious to those around me, & I digress emotionally. Besides major depression, my neurologist has also diagnosed me with "suspected CTE,(Chronic traumatic encephalopathy)" due to multiple TBI's & concussions. I am a retired National level athlete."

Milli G (taken for 10 years or more) January 27, 2018

"Anxiety, depression, chronic pain. I don't recommend for anyone! Instant migraine, hard to breathe, and severe pain from the inside out that you can only sit and suffer through until it hopefully wears off. I took it twice and both times it happened immediately and I don't feel it wearing off. I feel like I'm dying. Please don't try"

Anonymous.teller (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Great for my fibromyalgia, anxiety/depression A plus"

rebjen Take for fibromyalgia January 17, 2018

"I have only been on this medicine for 3 days at 30mg. I was jittery, had headaches and was disoriented. The second day I could not lift my head up. The room was spinning and my heart started to feel as if it was coming out of my chest. All I could do was fall asleep and hope the symptoms would go away. The third day of taking this, I was so disorientated that I had to go straight to the ER. They immediately gave me IV to try and clear this out of my system. I am still in the hospital. Now 2 days off this Med and slowly feeling better. Please please do not take this Med. I thought I was going to pass."

Anonymous January 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been on so many different antidepressants because of my heart tablets I have just been put on over a year ago. I'm also going through menopause which doesn't help and adds to lower sexual sensation to the mix. I found a lot of other antidepressants gave me bad side effects then I have been put to try duloxetine as my very last resort as all the other meds haven't worked so far. So good sensation is a little better, depression is better. The only side effect I get are dry mouth but only been on for a few months but feel al ot better but again everyone is different"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

"This particular generic is the most effective for me. I’ve tried other generics and they sadly did not work. At all. The problem of course is to find the lupin generic at a facility that takes your insurance. I’ll check out Drugs.com. So happy to find a reliable pharmaceutical company!"

Pamgman (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2017

"My doctor switched me to duloxetine from citalopram in October. I was doing fine on the citalopram, but my doc thought this would be better due to anxiety and some chronic pain due to a car accident. I hate this stuff. I do not have the horrible side effects that some people experience but I am getting headaches, trouble urinating, and mood swings. The hot flashes have subsided. I am on 60 mg. I want to go off of this. I've called my doctor, but no call back yet. I want to be happy again. I want to go out with my husband and friends. Right now, my bed and home are my best friends. I'm scared to go off of it. I've heard nightmare stories. Please pray."

Suzylee1563 December 12, 2017

"This is the only drug that has worked for me. Been on it for 2.5 years. I use to treat my depression, anxiety, and bpd and it works wonders! Doesn't make me drowsy or feel foggy at all! Does cause some insomnia but I take 50mg Trazadone at bedtime to help with that. Had some side effects the first few weeks but they all passed and now I feel great."

Arhat (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was taking Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months (along with Lamictal, which I still take) to get rid of the depressive side of bipolar. It made me super down and extremely on edge for weeks. I was on 20mg."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "These capsules enhanced made me feel worse. I am gradually removing these awful meds from my life. The withdrawals are so intense that it leaves me incapable of driving, gives me spasms and brain zaps, uncontrollable shaking and twitches. Do not ever even start taking Cymbalta."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 2, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Took cymbalta for depression for about 6 month, first 30 mg which my doctor increased little by little until it got to 90 mg. She increased it because the medication seemed to work but after a while the symptoms were present again. I went on vacation and when returned, couldn't get the prescription on time, that was the beginning of the nightmare. Symptoms of withdraw going from vomiting, electric zaps, severe nausea, severe dizziness sensation that I am falling down, head pain and so on for more than two month. I didn't stop taking the medication, it was only a gap on treatment what put me in that situation. Since that day I asked to my doctor to help me discontinue it even following her directions, it is so bad that I don't recommend it ever"

Mariam valdes October 13, 2017

"So I was put on duloxetine over 1 year ago. This was after I had tried about 3 different anti-depression medication that didn't help. I was first put on 30mg that made me slightly better but I stall felt constantly sad with no energy to do things . So then they increased the dose . Now I'm on 60mg. I have to say the drug saved my life , after years of constant suicidal thoughts and trying to harm myself I no longer feel the need to . I wouldn't say it makes you feel happy , it just makes you content . I have been rather lucky and not had to many side effects . I am quite tired but than I do think that's depression not the tablets . It's a great medicine to take but if you miss a day or come off it's like hell . Like depression has engulfed you entirely."

Amanda_louise (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I took my first dose of generic Cymbalta last night of 60 milligrams. It's now 5:47 PM & I've not eaten all day due to the severe nausea. I'm also very jittery, anxious, have a super, really bad headache (I'm also prone to migraines.), & my tinnitus is worse in my left ear. I also have slept most of the day, besides. I have depression & mild PTSD & anxiety & migraines, I've been on other anti-depressants before. Prozac increased my migraines the last time. I think this generic of Cymbalta won't be for me."

Seriouscatlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

"Worse drug ever!! I am finally weaned off and I can go to the bathroom again, sleep soundly, no more bruising, not tired all the time and the list goes on. You don't know how bad you feel until you go off this drug and feel normal again. The physical side effects are way worse than ant depression!"

Nederland (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was put on this for a while. It made me very depressed, anxious and withdrawn. It was only when my friends told me how bad I was that I realised I was having a real "breakdown" on it. I went to see my doctor who changed me to Sertraline which suits me a lot better. I was depressed before I took Duloxetine but I went in to a very dark place that I had trouble getting out off. We are all different and different medication suit different people."

Tina50 August 18, 2017

"I began taking this in April after a suicidal episode. I started at 30mg and noticed the effects immediately. I suffer from social anxiety and clinical depression. Constant worrying and panic attacks. The first thing I noticed was that it became easier to let go of worrying thoughts. e.g. if I embarrassed myself usually I'd ruminate until I became depressed, once I started duloxetine the bad thoughts were out of my mind almost as soon as they came. This made life a lot easier for me, day by day my symptoms disappeared. It is now August and I am on 120mg the maximum dose. Its wearing off as my mood is starting to slip, but I can honestly 100% say that for the past 5 months I have been cured. Duloxetine was the best thing to ever happen to me."

A girl with depression August 13, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been taking Cymbalta for depression for two and a half years. My doctor titrated me up to 120mg. I was at 120mg for over two and a half years and almost constantly I was severely depressed, severe anxiety, some paranoia, no energy, over reaction, self harm, extreme anger, just to name a few. That's not to say I do have some of those problems normally, but not as severe or as constant. So Cymbalta was overlooked as a cause to my worsening issues. Two weeks ago I was admitted into an inpatient hospital to basically save my life. While I was in there I was abruptly taken off, then titrated up to 60mg. I'm a totally different person now. I did a complete 180°. I can't believe what a difference it makes being on the right dose."

ShaeFox (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2017

"I have PTSD. Depression. Anxiety. Bone pain. I'm not one for pills, in the past I've been used as a Guinea pig for a plethora of meds and I've also self medicated before PTSD was diagnosed. I've several issues from long term injuries including broken leg and multiple internal injuries from stabbing. I was on sertraline for a year while on diazepam and dehydracodeine for pain relief, they made me a shadow of myself. I found a new doctor who recognised instantly my TBI, PTSD ISSUES etc. He prescribed me duloxetine 30mg, a month later I've felt nothing, if anything I was doing less, still in pain and still in a dark place mentally. I revisited him last week to review, he upped my dose to 60mg and the difference is unbelievable! Pain down, depression gone!Anxiety all time low!✅ "

John. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Very effective worked immediately"

Jodie c July 24, 2017

"I'm not getting much relief with my depression. I wonder if there's another medication that could be used along with Duloxetine (Cymbalta) to help."

Poodle Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2017