User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Been on this 3 years and it works for me when I have no alcohol or illegal drugs. For pain I started smoking cannabis and my antidepressants doesn't work with weed!! With a week off weed and antidepressant working! I'm happier now, I'm laughing more, singing and joking. I am committing to getting better and cutting out anything else unless prescribed."

Fcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta is the only antidepressant that works for my depression & anxiety. With it I feel calm and can think clearly and logically. I don’t catastrophise. I don’t get dark thoughts. Essentially no side effects. This drug radically changed my life for the better. A wonder drug."

R X (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

"I took it for 6 weeks for anxiety and depression and at first I felt good and happy, but I gradually had large fits of anger ( and I'm not an angry person), panic attacks, paranoia and numbness. I didn't exactly feel bad and as depressed before though."

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

"I was hoping this would work. I have been on numerous types of these drugs. Something was missing in my life. Which was the real reason to try this. Unfortunately this drug isn't for me. By day 4 I was a wreck. Absolutely horrible side effects. I was going to give this more time but after being so miserable for 2 days. More side effects that I can count on both hands. To those with success on this drug. Great. Just not for me. I'm already feeling some better since I didn't take it this morning. Back to generic Buspar and generic ativan today. Not perfect but a heck of a lot better than the previous 4 days"

paradises2 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta has radically changed my life. Prior to taking this medication, I wanted to end my life due to severe depression and anxiety. After a couple weeks on this drug, my mind began to shift. I am now calmer, more balanced and happier than I'd been in years. I feel so much more level-headed. It allows me to associate more meaning with people, things and activities in life. My relationships with coworkers, customers and people around me have been strengthened. I used to never talk to or invest my time in other people around me and now I actually enjoy socializing. It even helps me in other strange ways like making me more organized, keeping my apartment clean, getting rid of junk I don't need or use, etc. I thank the universe for leading me to this drug."

Darksoul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medicine has changed my life- I suffered from severe panic disorder and anxiety. I can now function and actually feel normal. I have had no side effects from cymbalta."

Laur laur (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

"I never write on a forum but I felt I had to I started taking duloxetine a few days ago 30mg and I have to say it’s best decision I have made from being physically not being able to get myself out of this deep dark hole to actually making a effort with my day. I read so many negative reviews and was actually scared but felt I had nothing to lose and I know it’s early days but I do feel so much better! I am going to carry on taking this and see how it goes I will review again in a few weeks but I can honestly say in a matter of a few days it’s changed my life from being a wreck to actually seeing a small flicker of hope in life"

Juice box (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta. First week was at 30mg, followed by 60 mg. I has side effects almost from the start, insomnia, anxiety. nausea, loss of appetite. Stayed at 60 mg for 4 weeks. Dr decreased to 40 mg and prescribed Sonata to help with sleep. Zero effect from the Sonata. It's been about two months since starting the Cymbalta and I'm ready to get off of it due to the side effects. Not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms I've been reading about. Others may have had success with this med, but I have not. I would not recommend."

121GW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Started Cymbalta 30mg/day, after 3 doses I became horribly ill. Severe abdominal pain, headache, nausea, (could not even keep sips of water down), palpitations, weakness, extreme fatigue, insomnia, foggy cognition. Flat on my back for 60 hours. Could not sleep, just lay in misery. I am better now but still not 100%. This is a dangerous drug. The pharmacist said my reaction is rare, even so, I would recommend against it."

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2018

"Fortunately, duloxetine works for me but it didn't come without a cost and I don't mean to get it filled. I felt like I was strong enough to take it as needed because I wanted to be able to titrate off of it for obvious reasons. Boy was I wrong...I get a nauseous feeling in my stomach that just won't go away until I take the 30mg DR..it brings me back to life, that is all ."

Sunshynelaydee (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2018

"I've been on duloxetine for about 9 years now and I absolutely love it. I struggled with sleepiness as a side effect of just about every anti depressant I've ever used except with cymbalta. I do suffer from a couple of side effects (hyperhidrosis and HBP- treated with a cheap BP med) but the good outweighs the bad. The only real surprise and drawback has been a recent discovery that my generic duloxetine made by manufacturer Solco is complete rubbish. I've never a problem with any generics in the past and it took me a few weeks to figure it out . I'm having horrible fibromyalgia pain and depressive episodes because the Solco version is NOT working!"

Kraken (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2018

"Day 5 of being on duloxetine and have zero appetite have lost 4 kgs since starting. Have constant hot & cold sweats which are terrible and trouble sleeping. Feeling like I need to vomit comes and goes, does not make me feel any less depressed."

Kate (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

"I went on duloxetine for my severe anxiety, daily panic attacks, and depression to the point of having a suicide plan. To say I was almost unable to function is an understatement. I had just started a new job where my daily stress and anxiety level was through the roof. I started this drug at 20mg for one week. I had a rapid heartbeat for about five days, but immediately noticed a reduction in my anxiety and no more panic attacks. I went to 40mg for a week and then finally 60mg which is where I've stayed for two weeks now. My depression is almost gone and I finally feel like my real, happy, functioning self again. My anxiety is always present, especially when I'm around people, but it no longer controls me. I can manage it with self talk and deep breathing. This drug saved my life. A bonus is it helped with the chronic shoulder pain I have. There are sexual side effects and I cannot climax as quickly or strongly as before. But for what I've gained? It's absolutely worth it."

HollyBerry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on Cymbalta 60ng for about the 5 years, it was working fine for me I thought - until people started telling me that I was snappy. But I had a lot of trials in life happening all at once. Any how I decided to switch and what a nightmare it has been. New Psych tried me on Lamictal for a bit, that made me hyper and jittery, so I thought I'd try zoloft since my sister has been on it. Sometimes meds can work the same.. but, Yikes ...not for me..I'm in an awful depression and working on getting back on Cymbalta, what I hope will, work for me. I guess the old saying goes, "if it's not broken why fix it?" I will keep you all in my prayers and hope you will do the same. "

El (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I started on 30 mg and am currently on 60 mg - first few days on it were awful, with bad insomnia, nausea/headache, fatigue. However, after ~5-6 days, most symptoms subsided (except the insomnia, which I use melatonin for). It's been about 2 months and I have to say this medication has been life changing for me in terms of my mood/thoughts. I used to have such dark thoughts and a negative outlook on life, assuming the worst in people and hating everything about myself. That has completely changed and I can say for the first time in YEARS that I feel truly, completely, happy. This happiness is different, because it persists even when not-so-great things happen in my life. I will say that the anxiety still lingers but honestly its effects on my depression make the anxiety super tolerable. I hope this medication works for others the way it worked for me - time will tell as far as how long this will last."

myopicwizard April 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been on cymbalta for about 8 months. It makes me feel numb and I don't care about much. I am coming off of it and it has been hard to do."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I need to try 60 mg, I've only been on 30mg"

tonlow April 23, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Just took my first dosage 30 mg at 10pm last night. Woke up at 7am and have thrown up 4 times since. I go from sweating thru my sheets to shivering in a ball. Feel like I have the flu. Don't think I'm going to take again. Have a young child and stuff to do and cannot accomplish it feeling like this."

Anonymous April 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication was a nightmare. My doctor prescribed it to me, I had terrible side effects, I was literally high off this medication, I was so dazed and didn't know what I was doing, my business partner found me wandering completely unaware of what was going on, I stopped taking it and I was back to "normal". I wrote a letter to the FDA to warn about the strange side effects I had from this medication. I would never take this medication again."

Bipolar18 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on lexapro for 2 years and it eventually made me numb to life in general. I wanted to be able to feel again without the depression and anxiety and OCD creeping back in. The doctor put me onto Cymbalta after I came off Lexapro (worst experience coming off lexapro, it was 3 weeks of withdrawal). The first night that I took it within 4 hours I felt a little sleepy so went to bed at 10pm and slept ok a little restless. At work the next day I was very vague in the head but I got through it. The following day it was like someone switched the lights on in my head and I could think so much clearer and got so much work done and felt like I was happy again. Now a week later I am feeling so good, calm yet full of energy and I have lost 3 kg as I have stopped over eating and have to tell myself it is time to eat. I do get a little restless in the night at times but I just tell myself to close my eyes again and relax and it works and I go back to sleep."

Nay April 10, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Day 6 and not feeling anything yet."

Christina (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

"I normally avoid taking meds, I try to go natural . I'm 71 and over the years the doctors have prescribed most of the drugs In the market but better sense prevailed and for some reason or the other, I avoided them. I got heel spur plus a bad back and stool test showed internal bleeding. Took just one Cumbalta 30mg and I cannot wait for morning to dawn and this awful feeling to go. Hope I survive the night. I feel sorry for the people who are do dependent on these meds. One tablet and my stomach hurts so bad and I feel so nauseus. Hope I make it thru the night."

Mona (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Gave me the worst Diarrhea 10 times a day, could not work. Only on 30 Mg a day. Never again. Had been on Prozac for 10 years and Effexor for 15 . I weaned off the Effexor@ 150 MG to 75 MG to 37.5 MG . Because I couldn't walk across a room without falling down. Couldn't sleep, talk,etc, Electrical shocks from head to toe kept me up. Went to Hospital after being off effexor for 5 weeks, thought I was having a heart attack. They put me on 30Mg of Cymbalta. Took me 3 years to kick the cymbalta as Doctors said it was worth the side effect of explosive diarrhea compared to the depression. .. Was off 4 months. Massive Depression event. Hospitalized."

Ah Poop (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Coming off of Cymbalta was absolutely terrible! My Dr. tappered me off the drug and I followed his instructions. I became very sick the first day I was completely off. I was dizzy, throwing up etc., etc. I could hardly get out of bed for around 7 days. About a month later, I started getting sick again. After months of wondering what was going on, I found out my gall bladder was only functioning at 9%. I have read several instances where people have had gall bladder issues after they stopped taking Cymbalta. That could just be a coincidence, but you never know. If you are currently battling withdraw symptoms, hang in there. I am not going to lie it is not fun at all, but it does get better."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on every depression med available. (Including Trintellix -- one of the newest). Trintellix worked really well, but I gained quite weight on it, and the $300/mo copay got old after a while. I'm really surprised and pleased with Cymbalta so far. I'm taking the lowest dose (20 mg?), and have not had any major issues (had headaches at 1st which happens with all new meds I try, and I always take with food to avoid nausea). I experienced horrible fatigue on Prozac, but I need to take this med in the a.m. I'm a runner and so usually constantly ache , but I'm actually feeling "lighter" and less stiff since I've been on this. I've also lost some weight/appetite which I love. This may be a result of ending the Trintellix, but whatever the case, I'll take it. I've always been really constipated, and Cymbalta has helped with that as well. (Does this mean that "regular" people might experience diarrhea?). I'm not agitated nor nervous, so all in all, Cymbalta has been really good for me."

MEL-Columbus February 23, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Depression