User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Pinkfizz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

“Used duloxetine for GAD/depression and nerve pain. I was crying non-stop. It IS a strange drug; the nausea/anti-dep type 'yawning' & exhaustion it causes getting 'on' to it. My chemist advised an anti nausea med & this helped, otherwise I may have given up. (disapp. my GP didn't mention this). I was asked to aim for 120mg, starting on 60mg. Felt instantly better at 60mg and after losing weight with initial nausea, started to gain weight once happier. Got to 120mg, felt great, but had severe body jerks. I titrated back to 60mg, with little to no side effects over 8 weeks - with 1-2 brain zaps. I'm now on 30mg; anxiety creeping back, it's ok. The worst thing is the DREADFUL hot sweats. I now get mini jerks. I can feel my back pain slightly now. Mild constipation is a side effect but it's resolved my IBS. I've have had the odd tear on 30mg; making me feel more like 'me'. I'm thriving, and have a new dog. I'd like to come off as I like my wine; but we'll see.”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

GoobersMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on 60mg Duloxetine daily for 1 month, 30mg daily before that to wean off Effexor. The Duloxetine was so ineffective & the withdrawal from the Effexor was so bad that I had to take both for about 6 weeks. Now with no Effexor I am back to feeling no effects from Duloxetine. I'm painfully depressed and have sudden bouts of extreme anger & irritability. I cry all the time, have no appetite, and hate going out in public. I've been on every antidepressant on the market. With Duloxetine, I might as well be eating Tic Tacs.”

Martinb · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I tried SSRI (paroxetine) for couple years on and off. I was off the drugs for couple years and then I decided to try SNRI drug first Effexor and then Cymbalta/Dulexotine. I took it for about 2 years. Taking this drug felt horrible. When I finally managed to got off of it (with extreme withdrawal symptoms). Immediately after getting off the drug I had these leg pain and tingling in my feet and was was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I was 30 at the time and have no history of Diabetes in my very large extended family. Love to hear from anybody with more to say about this… Something tells me my usage of SSRI and mainly the SNRI is what brought about my T1D diagnosis. Anybody else with similar story? What are your thoughts about this? Thanks”

Al86 April 25, 2020

“Had mild dizziness and sickness when first started but eased off. Helped depression for a year but wasn't as effective as time went on. Withdrawal was awful, I was constantly feeling nauseous, mood swings, extremely dizzy, my blood pressure was extremely high, felt groggy all the time and my concentration was horrendous. The severest symptoms lasted around 4 months. Doctor had to prescribe medication to help due to it. A year later I am still groggy, have loss of memory and concentration (only started when started coming off of it). Due to the withdrawals I couldn't cope so I cancelled my masters degree, lost my relationship due to severe mood swings and stopped driving. I still don't feel I can drive and continue my studies due to the concentration, memory loss and grogginess. It could be coincidence that I have these long term problems but I feel it is linked. Of course everyones experiences are different but for me it was not worth taking it even though it worked for about a year.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2020

“Brought me back from a serious dark cloud. duloxetine 30gm seems to be enough. Give it time it’s a rough start, but well worth the wait I felt sleepy for five days and then a lot of energy and then a month later, feel like I used to. Awesome if you have body pain and depression and anxiety. Thank you duloxetine”

GH · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Wonderful medication. If your ready to get off then tapper slowly and then get off medication. After I got off I smoked medical marijuana and it helped with the zaps and feeling sick - the withdrawals only last a bit. Hang in there.”

dpaige · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

“duloxetine possibly helped my depression a little. I liked that it didn't have side effects until month 6. I then began crying for no reason every morning within 20 minutes of taking it. I hated getting up and going to work and was stressed out about everything, way worse than my usual depression. Withdrawal was worse! Tapered myself off by removing one bead at a time and each time I moved down was worse than the previous. When I went from 15 mg to 10 mg, I was sent home from work, had to go on leave, and was hospitalized for 2 weeks.”

Las789 February 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on this medication over ten years ago. It took a month for the fog to lift once I had started it. But then I started to be paranoid reading about the cymbalta withdrawals on the internet. So I panicked went off it. I always start at the lowest dose possible and stay on it a month before increasing to the next to avoid being sick. And it’s the same thing when you want to get off these meds to avoid withdrawals. You go off as slow as possible. And I want to mention that these meds are metabolized by different enzymes in our body that we all have different levels of because of our DNA. So one person might need a lower dose of cymbalta than another because they metabolize it faster than others. The goal isn’t to get to the highest dose but the dose that works with your metabolism. Ten years later and I have Fibromyalgia too now so my new doctor decided to put me on cymbalta. I started at 20mg today and will stay with that dose for at least a month before I see if I need to go up. Remember Go Slow!”

L.p. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I started taking Cymbalta 30mg 9 weeks ago under my primary doctor's recommendation. I had severe anxiety and insomnia and very serious depression. I slept all day and had no motivation and couldn't shake it off no matter what I did. I have tried Prozac 50mg for depression and expressed I didn't like that it made me eat all the time (which lead to 50lb weight gain) and no libido. So she recommended this. I feel very numb (but not high) as if I have no more conscience. I also have a slow reaction time to everything. People will speak to me and I don't realize until they repeat my name over 3 times. I also cannot sleep still even with all types of otc sleep medications. I take Cymbalta in the morning so it has no effect on my sleep. I am going to keep taking this medication as suggested but make a follow up appointment. Should there by any secret to make this drug less numbing I will add another review.”

JB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Wonderful/best antidepressant on the market considering I’ve tried...Paxil, Prozac, celexa horrible!! Non worked and serious adverse starting effects! I’m on Cymbalta for depression and hydroxyzine for anxiety...Do Not Ever let a Doc put you on Klonopin WARNING ⚠️ I’ve learned from that the hard way...so what I have now is so much better..I wake up enjoying life and I feel there is hope beyond the dark..”

J.J · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta has helped so much with my anxiety and depression. Here it is almost two weeks and it has been a saver and a life changer! Thank you Cymbalta!”

Legs · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on Cymbalta for a couple of years now and at first it worked really well. It has pretty much stopped working for me now. I suffer from chronic pain and depression so life is a lot of fun. I went off Cymbalta one time and the side effects when you go off of it are really bad. You get like lightning bolts in your head. Plus you get really disoriented. Now I'm afraid to go off of them again. I wish I could just stop taking meds all together but I'm afraid of what I would do.”

LJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “The depression & anxiety was unbelievable before I took meds. The doc put me on the lowest dose of prozac which did not work and actually made it worse. So then I was put on Cymbalta, here it is less than two weeks and I can feel little by little everyday my symptoms lesson. Now my depression & anxiety hasn’t disappeared so to speak but it’s easier to cope and maintain. I've had zero luck with SSRI in the past, my body adjusts better with SNRI’s ...there is a blood test you can request to see what works well with your chemistry so they don’t use you as a test puppet..Cymbalta is amazing and I would definitely recommend it!”

Kmkm · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I just started 4 weeks ago I do feel no emotion now except tears not what I was expecting on higher dose”

FunnyBone February 8, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I just want to share my positive experience with Cymbalta, since there are so many negative reviews out here. Before this drug, I was on Celexa, then Lexapro...for depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks. The SSRIs left me feeling flat inside and there were days I couldn't even get out of bed. Cymbalta has changed my life. I have no depression at the moment and have much more energy. I'm more social and have started working out again. In the first few weeks, I had minor side effects - fatigue, brain fog, headaches and nausea. They went away after a few weeks. Glad I stuck it out.”

MINIMOO February 5, 2020

“I have been on duloxetine for several years. I have never had a problem until the pharmacy changed mfg for the medication. The new duloxetine was made by mfg B, and adverse side effects were life threatening; heart palpitations, confusion, angry, and felt like my head would spin right off my shoulders. Pharmacy switched me back to a diff manufacturer and I have had no problems. What is the difference in the mfg of duloxetine from other mfg and mfg BR.?????? HOW CAN ONE BE SO DIFF FROM THE OTHER?”

K&55 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have "anxious depression" and I have been taking this drug about one month. I had started at 30mg for a week and then switched to 60mg until now. The first days were horrible when I had been sleeping about 12 hours per day had the feeling nausea, but finally after few days everything was fine. Anxiety is totally gone and I don't feel exhausted from my mood. I feel more powerful and my mood is much better but in any case ok I am not happy. I also, sleep very good. I will stick on this medicine. I recommend to follow doctors prescriptions.”

Smack · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Horrible medication. I had been on it for about a month when I tragically lost my best friend. I couldn’t mourn, I had no emotion. It wasn’t like I didn’t care, it was like I couldn’t care. If making you numb to life and everything around you is the goal of Cymbalta, they knocked it out of the ballpark”

kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I turned to this drug at my very lowest. Suicidal thoughts and constant lethargy became daily reminders of how depressed I really was. I realized I’d either find a solution or my life would be at risk. The solution was Cymbalta. After 6ish weeks, I began to enjoy activities again and felt very motivated to carry out tasks. My social anxiety now is nearly nonexistent. I’m not happy every day, but the darkness that used to envelope me has subsided and I can say that I see the light at the end of the tunnel (before the drug I couldn’t imagine my life a year in advance because I didn’t know if I’d make it there). My sex drive did suffer a little, but not very much. I will continue to take this drug as long as it continues to help me. Overall, although the withdrawal symptoms may be terrible in the future, Cymbalta truly saved my life and has been worth every penny. Give it time to work and don’t let the negative reviews scare you away if you really need the help.”

Danni · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is the worse medication ever your nausea will get worse you start to feel completely weak and most of all it makes you go into a deeper depression. Do not by all means take this drug”

Chris January 14, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have found that my mood is improving and my pain from clonus isn't as bad the only issue I have is the insomnia but overall I think this medication is helping me”

max December 20, 2019

“duloxetine made me want to sleep all the time. it also made me feel depressed and I am not a depressive person. I quit taking it and am more back to normal. other meds. helped more with my high anxiety.”

Thumb · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “First off the generics don’t work for me. I have to get them from Canada and they are still very expensive. I am so forgetful and it is getting worse. I really don’t know what to do but when I miss a dose I have terrible dreams. I only take 30 mg. I wish I didn’t have to take them as I pay so much for them.”

Miz · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“Citalopram that I was taking for depression seemed to lose its effectiveness after several years so with doctor we decided to switch to duloxetine. No side effects while cross tapering. After a week of 30mg, started feeling better. Started taking 60mg three days ago. Hopefully I will get even better benefits with time. I'm hoping it will help with chronic pain and resulting anxiety as well. I hope this review will give others hope and not be afraid to give it a try because of so many horror stories I've seen here. Not to invalidate the experiences of others, we all simply have differing responses to different medications.”