User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Duloxetine.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was taking Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months (along with Lamictal, which I still take) to get rid of the depressive side of bipolar. It made me super down and extremely on edge for weeks. I was on 20mg."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "These capsules enhanced made me feel worse. I am gradually removing these awful meds from my life. The withdrawals are so intense that it leaves me incapable of driving, gives me spasms and brain zaps, uncontrollable shaking and twitches. Do not ever even start taking Cymbalta."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Took cymbalta for depression for about 6 month, first 30 mg which my doctor increased little by little until it got to 90 mg. She increased it because the medication seemed to work but after a while the symptoms were present again. I went on vacation and when returned, couldn't get the prescription on time, that was the beginning of the nightmare. Symptoms of withdraw going from vomiting, electric zaps, severe nausea, severe dizziness sensation that I am falling down, head pain and so on for more than two month. I didn't stop taking the medication, it was only a gap on treatment what put me in that situation. Since that day I asked to my doctor to help me discontinue it even following her directions, it is so bad that I don't recommend it ever"

Mariam valdes October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I was put on duloxetine over 1 year ago. This was after I had tried about 3 different anti-depression medication that didn't help. I was first put on 30mg that made me slightly better but I stall felt constantly sad with no energy to do things . So then they increased the dose . Now I'm on 60mg. I have to say the drug saved my life , after years of constant suicidal thoughts and trying to harm myself I no longer feel the need to . I wouldn't say it makes you feel happy , it just makes you content . I have been rather lucky and not had to many side effects . I am quite tired but than I do think that's depression not the tablets . It's a great medicine to take but if you miss a day or come off it's like hell . Like depression has engulfed you entirely."

Amanda_louise (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I took my first dose of generic Cymbalta last night of 60 milligrams. It's now 5:47 PM & I've not eaten all day due to the severe nausea. I'm also very jittery, anxious, have a super, really bad headache (I'm also prone to migraines.), & my tinnitus is worse in my left ear. I also have slept most of the day, besides. I have depression & mild PTSD & anxiety & migraines, I've been on other anti-depressants before. Prozac increased my migraines the last time. I think this generic of Cymbalta won't be for me."

Seriouscatlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worse drug ever!! I am finally weaned off and I can go to the bathroom again, sleep soundly, no more bruising, not tired all the time and the list goes on. You don't know how bad you feel until you go off this drug and feel normal again. The physical side effects are way worse than ant depression!"

Nederland (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was put on this for a while. It made me very depressed, anxious and withdrawn. It was only when my friends told me how bad I was that I realised I was having a real "breakdown" on it. I went to see my doctor who changed me to Sertraline which suits me a lot better. I was depressed before I took Duloxetine but I went in to a very dark place that I had trouble getting out off. We are all different and different medication suit different people."

Tina50 August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking this in April after a suicidal episode. I started at 30mg and noticed the effects immediately. I suffer from social anxiety and clinical depression. Constant worrying and panic attacks. The first thing I noticed was that it became easier to let go of worrying thoughts. e.g. if I embarrassed myself usually I'd ruminate until I became depressed, once I started duloxetine the bad thoughts were out of my mind almost as soon as they came. This made life a lot easier for me, day by day my symptoms disappeared. It is now August and I am on 120mg the maximum dose. Its wearing off as my mood is starting to slip, but I can honestly 100% say that for the past 5 months I have been cured. Duloxetine was the best thing to ever happen to me."

A girl with depression August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been taking Cymbalta for depression for two and a half years. My doctor titrated me up to 120mg. I was at 120mg for over two and a half years and almost constantly I was severely depressed, severe anxiety, some paranoia, no energy, over reaction, self harm, extreme anger, just to name a few. That's not to say I do have some of those problems normally, but not as severe or as constant. So Cymbalta was overlooked as a cause to my worsening issues. Two weeks ago I was admitted into an inpatient hospital to basically save my life. While I was in there I was abruptly taken off, then titrated up to 60mg. I'm a totally different person now. I did a complete 180°. I can't believe what a difference it makes being on the right dose."

ShaeFox (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have PTSD. Depression. Anxiety. Bone pain. I'm not one for pills, in the past I've been used as a Guinea pig for a plethora of meds and I've also self medicated before PTSD was diagnosed. I've several issues from long term injuries including broken leg and multiple internal injuries from stabbing. I was on sertraline for a year while on diazepam and dehydracodeine for pain relief, they made me a shadow of myself. I found a new doctor who recognised instantly my TBI, PTSD ISSUES etc. He prescribed me duloxetine 30mg, a month later I've felt nothing, if anything I was doing less, still in pain and still in a dark place mentally. I revisited him last week to review, he upped my dose to 60mg and the difference is unbelievable! Pain down, depression gone!Anxiety all time low!✅ "

John. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Very effective worked immediately"

Jodie c July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not getting much relief with my depression. I wonder if there's another medication that could be used along with Duloxetine (Cymbalta) to help."

Poodle Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For some reason my spouse and I were both givne this last month when prescription was renewed. I have been on this medication for 10 years plus. Within two weeks I felt headaches, severe irritability and depression. It was horrible. I even took 120 mgs one day and it worsened. Thank heaven this month was back to normal. Within 3 days I am feeling better. Btw my spouse feels the same way."

Jodi1202119 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Ok so I'm a 19y/o female and, After a month and a half of super minor side effects (groggy, dizzy, no appetite) cymbalta started to work really well, however about a couple months ago I began experiencing mood swings more and more gradually. Now I have days where I'm in a completely crabby mood (I don't want to do anything), or I'm in an ok mood (I'll go out and try to do a couple of things to build confidence), or I'm totally pissy and mean all day and I cry and flip out. (like literally cry and like threaten to leave him for nothing) My poor boyfriend who doesn't even understand the medicine (who tries to because he respects my choices) I plan on changing my medicine my next doctor's visit cuz the mood swings are making it hard to get a job."

Meghan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Had panic attacks and major depression. This medication changed my life for the better. Been on this medication for almost a year. Takes about 3 months to feel the full effect. If the dose is too strong you may feel worse. Its trial and error."

Shannon262 June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Just took it at its smallest available dose this past week. I was replacing my Zoloft because I felt that my depression is more of a reaction to my anxiety, so my doc put me on this which is known to treat both, unlike Zoloft which only treats depression. I have yet to experience any bad side effects like many do in the beginning, and if anything it actually treated the side effects of getting off Zoloft, like nerve tingliness. It gives me an overall sense of calm, and unlike other anxiety meds, it doesn't sacrifice by concentration and memory which is very important since I'm a full time student. It calmed my anxiety and allowed me to sleep, which in result, I don't feel depression. A+ on this medication so far."

Kay F. (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This drug has changed my life. Before taking Cymbalta I was depressed, anxious and borderline suicidal. Within a few weeks of my first dose (60mg) I noticed that I was more outgoing, friendly and that my mood has significantly improved. Although I experience some sexual side effects, the drug has been incredible on the whole. I'd highly recommend it."

houdini95 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "It works one of the few antidepressants that I can take that doesn't have any side effects I can notice. Other antidepressants in other families, I.e. SSRI's I know I cannot take due to the side effects. With cymbalta, I don't feel any side effects, and I seem to function alright. I know it works because off it, I can't pull it together and am in bed most of the time, so it works. I give it a B+ because I can't take it at its highest dose without getting too overstimulated. I take it at 30mg."

Anonymous June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "It alleviates my depression. But I have some headache, I am not sure if it is caused by the drug"

caden byran (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This worked for a while, but not a long time"

shouwang2007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been having anxiety and depression issues recently and since I've had back surgery and residual pain, my doc put me on 40 mg of Cymbalta. About 3 hours after I took my first dose I had the worst migraine I've ever had in my life, coupled with nausea, finally vomiting, cold chills, auditory hallucinations (low rumbling sound, plus my tinnitus got worse,) sleeplessness, loss of appetite and everything tasted like aspirin. The next morning my wife and I attempted to have sex. While I did have an erection, after almost two hours of trying I never even got close to an orgasm. Now I'm in some discomfort. For a drug that's supposed to make me feel better, I'd never take it again."

joebloe256 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Previous med Lexapro quit working after several years. Cymbalta seemed to work for the 1st week but I think it may have been placebo effect, after about a week my body started hurting and feeling hot from the inside especially my legs below my knees. After about 3 weeks stiff neck, hot flashes, restlessness, anxiety, headaches. 4 weeks all these plus talking in sleep, joint pain, body aches, stiff feeling, trouble focusing and I asked to be taken off it. I was only at 30mg."

Kypr May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Horrible headache, drowsiness, feeling of paralysis, and diarrhea"

lonesomecharlie (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I just started it , but felt it working already. Compare to Citalopram that I used before. I'm excited cause I have hope that Cymbalta will help with my depression and my back pain"

sylla April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "First 24 hours my experience is as follows: I made up a joke about my experience since I had lots of time last night to think about it; I certainly wasn't sleeping. So I go to this really sleazy bar called 'The Cymbalta'. I order a shot of E Coli. I'm still standing so I tell the bartender to pour me some Dysentery. Then I try a frosty mug of Swine Flu. In other words, this stuff is like taking poison! My idea for Contraindications. 1) Not recommended for anyone who is actually alive. 2) Not recommended if you are more than 10 feet away from a toilet bowl. Yeah, I know all drugs have side effects, and this probably a transitory condition that will eventually go away. Maybe. I just don't think I can wait for the "feeling better" part to begin"

Californado (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017