User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 624 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 52% of those users who reviewed Duloxetine reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Anonymous May 4, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on antidepressants for years. I had been taking the generic prozac for 23 years when I friend mentioned Duloxetine to help anxiety and chronic pain. How awesome is that? Two months ago I was prescribed 60 mg a day. I felt more alert, less anxious and had less pain BUT, I developed explosive diarrhea! My doctor suggested taking a 30 mg capsule in the morning and at bed time. I still had the diarrhea, so she cut me down to one capsule in the morning which helped somewhat, but I'd wake up in the night with numb hands. Another surprise side effect, if I ingest chocolate, I'll spend a day or two in the bathroom with explosive diarrhea again! What the heck???? I love my chocolate, and I'm not ready to give it up, so my doctor suggested taking Imodium. So I'm back to the drawing board looking for answers. I'm 70-years old and the other side effects about depletion of sodium scare me as I had to cut out sodium due to kidney stones. Has anyone else had these problems???”

Allacro · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“Could only take two 20mg tablets and felt like I had been hit by a bus and immediately stopped taking. Had terrible agitation the next two days and was extremely suicidal - this drug should be banned, do not take if prescribed.”

Userrrro123 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 25, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “The withdrawals were so hard on me. The brain zaps were the most painful thing. I did not know a human can experience electric painful zaps in their brains. It was the worst headache I could imagine. I was never being so severely dependent (physically addicted) to anything like duloxetine. Benzodiazepine withdrawals were child's play in comparison to these withdrawals. Not to mention it worsen my depression. It made me completely numb like a zombie. You could crash a car in front of me and I would not even flinch. I had terrible anger issues when trying to quit this. Screaming and destroying things. I had to taper off by opening the capsules and counting the beads. There are about 170 beads in each one. It took me more than 1 year to taper off slowly. The worst single substance I have ever tried. I would not give it to my worst enemy.”

Singer · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Don't be afraid to try this medication. I have been taking it for about four months now for depression and anxiety and it seemed to turn a light on in my brain. There were some mild side effects at first, but they passed off--the only thing I notice now are some weird dreams. I have taken SSRIs off and on for over twenty years. This was the first time I had taken an SNRI and I feel better--I'm calmer, I think more clearly, and things that bothered me a lot seem much more manageable now. If your provider prescribes this medication, at least give it a try.”

FunnyBone February 8, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I just want to share my positive experience with Cymbalta, since there are so many negative reviews out here. Before this drug, I was on Celexa, then Lexapro...for depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks. The SSRIs left me feeling flat inside and there were days I couldn't even get out of bed. Cymbalta has changed my life. I have no depression at the moment and have much more energy. I'm more social and have started working out again. In the first few weeks, I had minor side effects - fatigue, brain fog, headaches and nausea. They went away after a few weeks. Glad I stuck it out.”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

jode71 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 24, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for years at a dose of 120mg daily. This medication has helped my depression heaps. It has also helped manage my chronic pain and anxiety. Before starting on Cymbalta I was hospitalised several times with depression. I have been on Cymbalta for about 8 years and have had zero Hospital admissions since. I do still get times I have bad depression and anxiety but Cymbalta has made it more manageable. I do get a few side effects such as sweating but I would prefer that over feeling suicidal.”

JB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Wonderful/best antidepressant on the market considering I’ve tried...Paxil, Prozac, celexa horrible!! Non worked and serious adverse starting effects! I’m on Cymbalta for depression and hydroxyzine for anxiety...Do Not Ever let a Doc put you on Klonopin WARNING ⚠️ I’ve learned from that the hard way...so what I have now is so much better..I wake up enjoying life and I feel there is hope beyond the dark..”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been taking Cymbalta at a dose of 40 mg for 1 week now, I feel light headed. Not really depressed or having anxiety, but I can’t sleep and I have no appetite. I’m already under weight. Feeling stoned all day. My stomach also churns all night. I think there must be something more tolerable for me. I can’t function. Any suggestions?”

Krstnmrrny · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed 30mg a day by my doc. I took my first dose after dinner as suggested. Around 4am I woke up and the room was spinning. I had pain in my stomach as if I had food poisoning. I wasn't able to fall asleep and I didn't get up because I knew I would vomit. I took another dose next day and I experienced shivering, chills, sweaty palms, anxiety, dilated pupils. I thought maybe it would improve or subside, but the third day I woke up, looked on the mirror and a gaunt, pale face with large pupils was staring back at me. I jumped in the shower and was shivering so badly I thought I would go into cardiac arrest right then and there. I should've went to the ER. I was so scared. I stopped the med immediately. My doc switched me to lexapro and I filled the script but I'm too shaken up from my exp with Cymbalta I'm holding off until I feel myself again. I'm in recovery and I haven't felt like that on any drug in the past. Quite unnerving. Never again. And don't recommend.”

kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I turned to this drug at my very lowest. Suicidal thoughts and constant lethargy became daily reminders of how depressed I really was. I realized I’d either find a solution or my life would be at risk. The solution was Cymbalta. After 6ish weeks, I began to enjoy activities again and felt very motivated to carry out tasks. My social anxiety now is nearly nonexistent. I’m not happy every day, but the darkness that used to envelope me has subsided and I can say that I see the light at the end of the tunnel (before the drug I couldn’t imagine my life a year in advance because I didn’t know if I’d make it there). My sex drive did suffer a little, but not very much. I will continue to take this drug as long as it continues to help me. Overall, although the withdrawal symptoms may be terrible in the future, Cymbalta truly saved my life and has been worth every penny. Give it time to work and don’t let the negative reviews scare you away if you really need the help.”

Anonymous August 12, 2008

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “The Cymbalta took about three weeks to kick in. The side effects started out really strong; dizziness, sweating, no appetite, sleepiness, dry mouth. Now I've been on one month and all of my side effects are gone. I don't have any sexual side effects. As far as treating my depression it's amazing. It's like the light has been turned on again and I can see the good in life. Advice; if you're prescribed this medication, give it a good try - the side effects do diminish. From what I see here, it seems like this works for a lot of people.”

Joyful1975 · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Hi, I am at the end of week one 30mg Cymbalta, and it is like a brand new me.. although today I have hit a little bit of a low, I am so much better. Cymbalta literally has saved my life and my marriage PRAISE GOD!!!!! I am looking forward to each day and know with time all will level out. No more extreme lows with suicidal thoughts, sleeping all day long, just wanting life to end. I wished I would have let my pride go a long time ago & told my doctor I needed help. Wednesday is my birthday and I am looking forward to spending it with my husband... Yay!!! 44 and hopeful for the future.”

GoobersMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on 60mg Duloxetine daily for 1 month, 30mg daily before that to wean off Effexor. The Duloxetine was so ineffective & the withdrawal from the Effexor was so bad that I had to take both for about 6 weeks. Now with no Effexor I am back to feeling no effects from Duloxetine. I'm painfully depressed and have sudden bouts of extreme anger & irritability. I cry all the time, have no appetite, and hate going out in public. I've been on every antidepressant on the market. With Duloxetine, I might as well be eating Tic Tacs.”

GH · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Wonderful medication. If your ready to get off then tapper slowly and then get off medication. After I got off I smoked medical marijuana and it helped with the zaps and feeling sick - the withdrawals only last a bit. Hang in there.”

Anonymous September 15, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is the best thing that I have ever tried and for more than just depression. I also suffered from debilitating anxiety. Both have all but disappeared. Before I started taking it about 4 months ago I literally hoped I would just fade away. I wanted to die so badly it's all I thought about. I have lost 45 pounds along with my compulsive overeating disorder and have gained more peace and happiness than I ever knew could exist for me. It saved my life (and helped me be a much better mother, wife, daughter-everything). I will deal with the super sweatiness and a few extra yawns during my day in order to have a life. Viva la Cymbalta!”

Happy again 1 February 3, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I will make it real simple. IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I am out going, I love talking to people again! I have always been an introvert. No any longer. I've tried every med for depression with really no success. I enjoy laughing again, and my coworkers are now involving me with them. I always felt like a loner. All those sad emotions are gone. It has been a miracle drug for me. I never thought I could feel so good.”

Just me · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Have been on Cymbalta for a week now for depression and chronic pain. Feel like an absolute zombie, have struggled to get my daily things done and have otherwise stared at the TV all weekend. Scared to stop because of all the horrid reviews but want to continue for the promising reviews. Why does treating depression have to be so hard? I feel worse than I did last week. Numb to the world. No motivation or desire to participate in life. I will persevere for another week and reassess. I am taking It in the morning, perhaps I need to take it at night??? I think I will do that this week. No change to my pains.”

Las789 February 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on this medication over ten years ago. It took a month for the fog to lift once I had started it. But then I started to be paranoid reading about the cymbalta withdrawals on the internet. So I panicked went off it. I always start at the lowest dose possible and stay on it a month before increasing to the next to avoid being sick. And it’s the same thing when you want to get off these meds to avoid withdrawals. You go off as slow as possible. And I want to mention that these meds are metabolized by different enzymes in our body that we all have different levels of because of our DNA. So one person might need a lower dose of cymbalta than another because they metabolize it faster than others. The goal isn’t to get to the highest dose but the dose that works with your metabolism. Ten years later and I have Fibromyalgia too now so my new doctor decided to put me on cymbalta. I started at 20mg today and will stay with that dose for at least a month before I see if I need to go up. Remember Go Slow!”

LJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “The depression & anxiety was unbelievable before I took meds. The doc put me on the lowest dose of prozac which did not work and actually made it worse. So then I was put on Cymbalta, here it is less than two weeks and I can feel little by little everyday my symptoms lesson. Now my depression & anxiety hasn’t disappeared so to speak but it’s easier to cope and maintain. I've had zero luck with SSRI in the past, my body adjusts better with SNRI’s ...there is a blood test you can request to see what works well with your chemistry so they don’t use you as a test puppet..Cymbalta is amazing and I would definitely recommend it!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was diagnosed with PMDD and was prescribed Cymbalta. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so sick in my life. Nauseous, vomiting, diarrhea, insomnia, loss of appetite, dry mouth, and all of this after one dose. Never again.”

Bromis · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta has literally changed my life. My brain was always in this constant fog, I could never think straight about anything and intrusive thoughts about suicide would pop into my mind constantly. I didn’t care about anything and struggled to find my motivation. Now I’m thriving in work, taking pride in my appearance and being a much nicer person. I’m brighter, happier and just a much better person to be around. My colleagues and family have all noticed the change. Before I started taking it i’d read so many bad things about it, I almost didn’t try it. I’m so glad I did. I feel like the person I always dreamed I could be. I can think clearly and I’m not riddled with anxiety anymore.”

Someone · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had been diagnosed with depression. I started with Cymbalta 30mg for about 20 days and then switched to 60mg for 6 months. This month I switched to 90mg for more results. The change in my life was absolute. I feel a different man. I can do simple things (that I couldn't like to go for shopping or having a haircut). My efficiency in my work is upgrading etc. Thank you cymbalta. You saved my live. Negative effects : I have a little pain sometimes, and I have problems to ejaculate with my woman. Additionally, I eat more because I do more... 9.5/10(9) for me.”

Dr.Sim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Let's be honest here everybody is different, some people do not need a helping hand medically wise in life and others (like myself) do, I came off citalopram after years of being on it, I felt it had simply stopped working and with added paranoia that it was actually doing me more harm I decided to switch to something else. Duloxetine was recommended by a friend, all I can say is life is sweeter now, always underweight and trying to put some in this drug helped a lot. If weight gain would be an issue I probably would not recommend, but if like my you feel happier with an extra 20lbs on your frame then this is the medication. To anyone reading this, hang in there and please don't ever feel alone, there is a world of people suffering the same as you and the vast majority of us care a lot about you and will always try and help because we too know your pain.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am 35 and have had depression and anxiety for many years. Over the years I have tried different SSRI’s- Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro. They did nothing for me. I felt like I was taking a placebo. After a bad breakup about a year ago I experienced severe depression and my anxiety was through the roof. I went to go see a doctor and told him SSRI’s don't work for me! He said just give Cymbalta a shot, if it doesn’t work in a month or two we will try something different. I thought what do I have to lose? Within a couple weeks I could tell a difference in my mood. I was shocked because like I said, these drugs have never worked for me. Within a month I felt totally back to my normal self. No more depression and my anxiety has been drastically reduced! This drug has been awesome for me.”

Much better now April 30, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had mild anxiety and intermittent depression. I always pushed through and never thought of medicines. My girlfriend suggested I speak to a psych and I started Cymbalta. In 10 days I had no more intrusive thoughts talking me down, making me stressed, guilty. After 9 weeks, I'm a new man. Small things don't worry me, I am patient and calm driving, I don't wake up for toilet then stay awake worrying, my relationship is closer, I'm nicer to be with. Cons? My libido decreased and climax is harder to achieve (but more intense). The medicine felt strange (out-of-body) at first but I got used to that. I drink more water, I yawn in the afternoons, I grind my jaw a bit, get breathless, mild headaches some days. But my life is much better with this medicine.”

Martinb · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I tried SSRI (paroxetine) for couple years on and off. I was off the drugs for couple years and then I decided to try SNRI drug first Effexor and then Cymbalta/Dulexotine. I took it for about 2 years. Taking this drug felt horrible. When I finally managed to got off of it (with extreme withdrawal symptoms). Immediately after getting off the drug I had these leg pain and tingling in my feet and was was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I was 30 at the time and have no history of Diabetes in my very large extended family. Love to hear from anybody with more to say about this… Something tells me my usage of SSRI and mainly the SNRI is what brought about my T1D diagnosis. Anybody else with similar story? What are your thoughts about this? Thanks”

bummed June 24, 2008

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I want to warn you about watching what you drink and other medicines you take. It turns out that even a little alcohol (3 drinks a month) and Motrin (6 pills taken over one week) will hurt your liver while on Cymbalta. I found this out through a routine blood test. ”