User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression (Page 5)

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “So I was on Lexapro for 5 years it stopped working. Doc suggested Cymbalta. I was scared to try with all the bad reviews. But I started on 30 mg for 2 weeks. Then up to 60 mg after 2 weeks. Side effects were dry mouth, nausea, dizzy. But side effects have gotten better and this is working. No more crying spells, moodiness. Also it has helped my back and neck pain.”

Hot potato · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 5, 2019

“Duloxitine was prescribed for me by my psychiatrist. I have suffered depression on and off for 25 year's. 6 year's ago after having my son switched from citalopram and thought it's pretty good. That was until I got used to the 30mg I was on and had to increase to 60mg, then 90mg and now I'm on 120mg. Sometimes I think I can't be without it then other time's I think not a chance that they working properly still. I was told they are a dual controlled medication which act as a mood lifter and motivator. If I'm honest I keep a diary of how I feel every day, and I have more bad days than good. I do have a lot going on in my life, which I think doesn't help. I've tried coming off a few time's but I hate the dizzy feeling from the side effect which leads to really bad feelings.”

MC · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “It really gave me my life back. From crying and having panic attacks to kayaking and biking with my friends. Amazing product.”

Cassie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on several medications for depression/anxiety since I was 20 years old. Cymbalta is the best by far. I felt so normal on it with little to no side effects. It also helped with my back pain issues. Unfortunately when I was hospitalized they discontinued my Cymbalta and I spiralled down into a very deep depression. My psychiatrist decided to put me on Fitzima as there is a 30% chance of Cymbalta not being as effective as when it was prescribed the first time. It's been over 2 years on the new medication and I am going to discuss going back on Cymbalta. When I was on it I felt like a normal person. When I cried I knew why I was crying and when I laughed I knew why I was laughing. I am fortunate that I had little to no side effects with Cymbalta. I wish you all well with what ever you chose. Please don't give up.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was terrified by all the comments to even try this drug, but I'm so glad I did. I've had none of the side effects (except maybe the constipation) that sound so horrible, and feel so much better. Way less of the negative thinking and ruminating negative self-talk, almost non-existent. I can have a negative thought but it won't be intrusive and all-consuming like it was before. And I've been on the medicine for less than 2 weeks! I've been tapering off of Wellbutrin since it didn't do anything for my depression, and the only drawback I can describe is that I'm still tired and have a hard time getting out of bed, which I was hoping the Cymbalta would fix (but I think it's a withdrawal symptom of coming off the Wellbutrin). Only time will tell! But so far the experience has been overwhelmingly good.”

Tann · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2019

“I had to stop this medication because it made me produce breast milk after two weeks of taking it, and gave me terrible migraines every day. This symptom is called galactorrhea (breast milk production) - when prolactin/hormone levels are increased [not having/had intercourse, not pregnant, never having children] Though a small percentage, both men and women can get this symptom. I had a blood test done and my prolactin levels were high, which verified that I had this. The medication worked great for my depression and I was disappointed that I had to stop taking it.”

Anonymous January 22, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “ First time I used it, I could finally stop crying. The effects were VERY subtle. However it did nothing for my anxiety. I stopped taking it after some positive life events occurred and I thought I didn’t need it anymore. But I became depressed again; decided to take a pill from the stash I had saved a year ago for emergencies - when I no longer wanted to die or cry! Cymbalta saved my life, not sure if I'd still be here today without it. But this time it has helped a little with anxiety. Cured depression 10/10; anxiety 3.5/10”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Had tried 4 different meds before Cymbalta in various doses for GAD/Depression. Had quit them due to side effects usually "brain fog", increases anxiety or depressive symptoms, etc. Psych doctor put me on Cymbalta 30 mg. Morning/30 mg night. At first I had some improvement with just mild brain fog. Kept on it for a total of 4 months hoping this could be the one. However, slowly turned into zombie. Tired, unable to think clearly, trouble processing. Dr. switched me to Vibryyd 20 mg. And tapered me with 30 mg of Cymbalta at night for 7 days. She said new med should help counter withdrawal effects. Well- during first 7 days I had mild vertigo, insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. was dealing with it. Next 7 days without any Cymbalta have been the worst. Vertigo, confusion, agitation, severe vertigo, mood swings, sweats, loss of appetite, tinnitus, headaches, forgetfulness, etc. I pray I am not one of those people that have withdrawal for months.”

L December 16, 2018

“This is honestly the worst drug anyone could ever take. I took 60mg of Duloxetine for over 5 years and had to come off it for surgery. I was initially prescribed it by a psychiatrist and left on it for so long because my GPs didn’t know what it was. The withdrawal is absolutely horrendous. I actually thought I was having a seizure at one point. I can’t even describe how awful it is trying to come off this drug. I honestly thought I was going to die. I had flashes of electricity through my brain every couple of minutes that rendered me totally unable to do anything. My head was fuzzy, I had awful dreams and sweats, I had stomach upsets and just a terrible feeling of paranoia. Please be aware before taking this drug - stopping it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2018

“Took this med for a couple of weeks (30 mg) and it caused uterine bleeding. I was surprised as this was not on the side effects list I got from my doctor - although mentioned on-line. Discontinued and now on Zoloft with no issues.”

Dr.Sim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Let's be honest here everybody is different, some people do not need a helping hand medically wise in life and others (like myself) do, I came off citalopram after years of being on it, I felt it had simply stopped working and with added paranoia that it was actually doing me more harm I decided to switch to something else. Duloxetine was recommended by a friend, all I can say is life is sweeter now, always underweight and trying to put some in this drug helped a lot. If weight gain would be an issue I probably would not recommend, but if like my you feel happier with an extra 20lbs on your frame then this is the medication. To anyone reading this, hang in there and please don't ever feel alone, there is a world of people suffering the same as you and the vast majority of us care a lot about you and will always try and help because we too know your pain.”

Chelo · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2018

“Since I started taking this med I am feeling better and I have not yet have any side effects, but I guess is to soon to determine, two days now taking this med”

Barlo December 3, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I literally felt not real it sucked. Stopped after a week couldn’t hardly function at work. I was so sensitive to light and always had a headache. I would not recommend.”

Pickle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Have had back pain for years. Was on prescribed pain meds for years too. No longer on pain meds for about a year now but use kratom some. Prescribed Celexa for several years and seemed to stop working. My doctor put me on 60mg Cymbalta a couple months ago. No real side effects and It seems to put me in a better mood that I haven't experienced in many many years. I think the prior pain med and recreational drugs turned against. I feel more "corrected", clearer minded and content on the Cymbalta.”

Dozer2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2018

“I recently reviewed this drug and gave it a 9/10 after 3 months. I thought that I had found what I had been looking for. Unfortunately, a month later my mood started to dip and the lethargy, that came with depression, never lifted. It still helped significantly more that the SSRIs that I’ve tried, but it isn’t quite right for me. That being said, it was very effective for my anxiety. Depression - not so much.”

MrDeadSound · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2018

“I've been taking duloxetine 60mg for over 3 months and it made me feel terrible, it slightly lifted my depressant a bit but I just felt like I was emotionally numb and just felt weird in myself like everything was like a dream. Always tired and intrusive crazy anxiety driven thoughts. Tapering off them over the next few days and starting back on sertraline which I was on a few years ago with no problems.”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2018

“This medication is a game changer. After being on a different anti depressant that didn’t work, I switched to apo-duloxetine and I saw improvements in my mood and outlook on life within in 2 weeks. I feel like the person I was before my accident. Highly recommend.”

Karen15235 · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I switched off citalopram onto this medication 3 weeks ago and it is causing major RLS symptoms from day one. I was up for 4 hours last night! I think it is effective so far with my depression/anxiety but can't really tell as I am so sleep deprived!!! Will probably have to stop it. I don't want another med on top of this to have to stop the RLS symptoms.”

Bromis · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta has literally changed my life. My brain was always in this constant fog, I could never think straight about anything and intrusive thoughts about suicide would pop into my mind constantly. I didn’t care about anything and struggled to find my motivation. Now I’m thriving in work, taking pride in my appearance and being a much nicer person. I’m brighter, happier and just a much better person to be around. My colleagues and family have all noticed the change. Before I started taking it i’d read so many bad things about it, I almost didn’t try it. I’m so glad I did. I feel like the person I always dreamed I could be. I can think clearly and I’m not riddled with anxiety anymore.”

Dozer · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2018

“I have been in a severe state of depression for 5 months. I felt as though I would never be the same again and that I would feel broken forever. It took a while to get up to 200mg of Zoloft and although my anxiety had decreased, it did nothing for my depression. I started 30mg duloxetine and noticed a shift in my mindset and a increase in my energy levels. I have been on 60mg for 2 months now and my experience is very positive. I am nearly back to normal and the broken/empty feeling I had has subsided. My anxiety has also decreased dramatically. The only side effect is an itchy/red scalp and a slight weight gain- a small price to pay in order to feel normal again!”

Aim · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 30, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Took Cymbalta for two years due to severe depression. Couldn’t function hardly at all before the med. Once I started taking Cymbalta I was able to go to work and function normally again. No major side effects. Came off it for a couple months, reducing my dose down slowly, no bad withdrawal symptoms. However once I was off of it the depression and anxiety returned tenfold. And I’m going back on it.”

Fcd · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 22, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Been on this 3 years and it works for me when I have no alcohol or illegal drugs. For pain I started smoking cannabis and my antidepressants doesn't work with weed!! With a week off weed and antidepressant working! I'm happier now, I'm laughing more, singing and joking. I am committing to getting better and cutting out anything else unless prescribed.”

R X · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is the only antidepressant that works for my depression & anxiety. With it I feel calm and can think clearly and logically. I don’t catastrophise. I don’t get dark thoughts. Essentially no side effects. This drug radically changed my life for the better. A wonder drug.”

Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2018

“I took it for 6 weeks for anxiety and depression and at first I felt good and happy, but I gradually had large fits of anger ( and I'm not an angry person), panic attacks, paranoia and numbness. I didn't exactly feel bad and as depressed before though.”

paradises2 · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2018

“I was hoping this would work. I have been on numerous types of these drugs. Something was missing in my life. Which was the real reason to try this. Unfortunately this drug isn't for me. By day 4 I was a wreck. Absolutely horrible side effects. I was going to give this more time but after being so miserable for 2 days. More side effects that I can count on both hands. To those with success on this drug. Great. Just not for me. I'm already feeling some better since I didn't take it this morning. Back to generic Buspar and generic ativan today. Not perfect but a heck of a lot better than the previous 4 days”