User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression (Page 3)

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Matt · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug has changed my life and probably saved it. I take only one 30mg a day but does the job suffered. Anxiety to the extreme days on end without sleep anxious days gone thanks cymbalta”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2019

“I started taking Cymbalta about a year ago. I'm currently taking 60mg a.m. & p.m. It has helped me tremendously! I have severe pain all over my body. A lot of the pain was due to being hit head on by a drunk driver. Broke jaw, back, legs & arm. I've weened off the pain medication. The Cymbalta seems to be treating my pain pretty well. I also take Xanax prn for severe anxiety. I don't need to take my Xanax very often. The 2 major downfalls I've found were my sex drive going from a 10 to almost non existent. I've also been told I have awful tremors at night but, they don't wake me. I actually wake my wife up bc I shake the bed so hard from my twitching. Best thing I've for my depression. Until they find something better I'll stay with this.”

Conster · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on Cymbalta since 2009. On July 29, I went down to 60 mg; on Aug 6, down to 30 mg & off completely Aug 19. The withdrawal symptoms began within 2 days. Hyper-sensitivity, both physically (to sound, taste, touch) & psychologically. I got shaky hands, chills, fevers, itchy skin &, two weeks on, prickles, like nettles or poison ivy all over my body. I felt like I had restless leg syndrome through my whole body. Nausea was persistent. I also found I was unable to manage any social interactions. I have still not gone back to work. The depression came back hard. Aug 6, 9th, Aug 19, & Aug 29 were all awful days. I didn't think I was going to make it. The hopelessness & despair were the worst I have EVER experienced. July 29-Sept 12. That's how long the withdrawal took for me.”

Flossiesmom September 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had been taking Lexapro for years with no problems. Extreme fatigue had my dr. Suggesting I change to Cymbalta. Immediately the anxiety...fuzzy head/vertigo hangover feeling started with nausea, diarrhea, unquenchable thirst, weakness, you name the side effect and I had it. Within 3 weeks I don't know how I was literally able to function. Very happy to be going back on Lexapro.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am 35 and have had depression and anxiety for many years. Over the years I have tried different SSRI’s- Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro. They did nothing for me. I felt like I was taking a placebo. After a bad breakup about a year ago I experienced severe depression and my anxiety was through the roof. I went to go see a doctor and told him SSRI’s don't work for me! He said just give Cymbalta a shot, if it doesn’t work in a month or two we will try something different. I thought what do I have to lose? Within a couple weeks I could tell a difference in my mood. I was shocked because like I said, these drugs have never worked for me. Within a month I felt totally back to my normal self. No more depression and my anxiety has been drastically reduced! This drug has been awesome for me.”

Ayngel September 9, 2019

“In the beginning I had a few days of serious fatigue and a dry mouth for about 2 weeks. For 2 months I would wake at night but that has settled. My mood improved within a week! The down sides are I don't seem to have a lot of energy/motivation. I also have some issues with concentration and memory. I would also say that emotionally I feel a little 'disconnected' as though I don't feel emotions quite as I used to. I have dizziness/brain zaps if I miss a dose for a day. Zero effect on weight, appetite, libido which I know can be major issues with lots of antidepressants. I had neuropathic pain as part of a physical condition which lessened over time but I'm not sure this was the med or natural healing as I was taking this for a number of months before pain lessened. I am going to taper off them in a few months by reducing slowly as I want to make the process as comfortable as possible given the negative reviews regarding withdrawal.”

Rocky September 1, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “It might be a good thing that I have all-over body pain with my type of depression. Good in that if I don't take my medicine I feel bad. So I can't be a patient who refuses to take their meds. Cymbalta IS MY GO-TO antidepressant. I won't let my doctor take it from me......hahaha. I used to get a griping type pain in my right side when my depression worsened. My doc couldn't explain it. I think it was just one of the symptoms of body pain caused by my depression. I remember seeing the TV commercials for Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. That's when I became familiar with the name. I can't tell if I have any side effects from Cymbalta. I'm a 60 yr old female and my doctor has prescribed HCL caps 60 mg 2 in the morning. ”

Kimberly August 31, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This medication has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I was skeptical due to negative reviews, but I’m glad I tried it and have stuck with it. I’ve been on it for about 4 months and it took about 6 weeks for me to really feel the effects. My thoughts of suicide have reduced greatly, and my overall anxiety has gotten better too. I have had these issues most of my adult life as a result of a traumatic childhood. I have previously tried Prozac but it makes me gain too much weight. Effexor helped in the past, but I can’t stand the brain zaps when you miss a dose. With Cymbalta, I’m more calm, less anxious, less depressed, and I don’t get as irritated with my husband and young daughter as I used to. I’m going to stick with it for as long as it’s working. The main side effects for me have been constipation and zero sex drive. But I’d rather deal with those things than think about suicide and cry every day.”

Trina · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I started on 30mg Cymbalta, and noticed no helpful feelings. Then my dose was doubled to 60mg, still horribly depressed. Now my dose has again been doubled to 120mg, this concerns me as I have tachycardia. Not impressed yet.”

Wide awake · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Well..took my first dose this morning. 30.mg. For Anxiety depression and severe shoulder pain..felt odd all day maybe even highish? diarrhea once laid down at 9:30 pm its 2:10 am now. I thought I was sleeping but I was just laying there with my eyes closed. I'll give it a week maybe try taking at nite.”

Lanie · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Be careful if you have tachycardia (fast heart beat) with this drug. It can severely elevate your heart rate. I used this med for 2 days and had to stop. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was given to me in conjunction with pain as well, it did help my chronic back pain, but not worth what it does to the heart if you have any kind of heart issues.”

Jess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 12, 2019

“I suffer from severe depression to the point where I had no motivation as well as felt stagnant 24/7 so my doctor put me on this medication. I'm much better now, I'm more social, I can actually do my school work and I don't feel hopeless/sad/bored as much as I did. I've never had any side effects other than being dizzy when first taking the meds and being tired. But fatigue can be solved by taking at night.”

Ali August 9, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been on again off again taking Cymbalta for about 5 years. The longest amount I have stayed on it consistently being 2 years. Unlike most of the reviews I’ve read and experiences I’ve heard Cymbalta actually gives me insomnia for the first week or two that I take it , it also suppresses my appetite a lot and makes my mind feel fuzzy. But Cymbalta also works immensely for me in terms of my depression which has been severe since childhood making it feel manageable. The withdrawals do suck , I get insomnia again, restless legs and brain zaps. If you can stay on this medication consistently or long term it’s a good option for depression/ anxiety. But if you are not then I don’t recommend it, the side effects at the beginning and end are rough.”

Bill August 1, 2019

“Have been on a few pills but. I had to tell my doctor to change them as I was feeling worse. He took me off pain killers because I was struggling with popping them too much with the chronic pain I have in my back. He put me on 60mg duloxatine and it was working on my depression but not my pain he upped my dose to. 120mgs and it is much better for me personally.”

Kb · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This really works. I tried 5 different meds before this one and it is definitely the most effective. I would say give it a chance., it’s changed my life around within two weeks”

Rainmon · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta works well with no effects - unlike Zoloft witch made me feel like a zombie”

happy go lucy · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

“day one of 30 mg duloxetine. Dr upping dose to 60 mg on my second week. I suffer from Perineural (Tarlov) cysts on my sciatic nerve which are extremely painful. This in turn has caused depression since it hinders me from doing the activities I once loved. I am super unmotivated and am highly irritable. I feel bad for the people I interact with because I am just fake laughing the entire time, when I am even paying attention. I hope this stuff helps. I have been reluctant to try any anti depressants because I don't want my brain chem to change me forever, but something has to give.”

oneiannie July 21, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I started Cymbalta for my depression as Zoloft wasn't able to keep up. I also have myofasial pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, bursitis, sciatica, SI joint Dysfunction, osteoarthritis in my left knee/right hip. Cymbalta pulled me out of the horrible depressive spell but it really calmed my fibro and myofasial pain. Like 85% better. Worse in the summer so I'm experiencing it still helping me but a pain flare-up trying to fight thru. I'm susceptible to migraines, cymbalta has not given me headaches. When I first took it it really knocked me out made me feel gross so I learned to only take it at night and it really helps me sleep. Only two bad things that have happened is - forgetting to take it the next day I'm pretty miserable and feel slightly out of it. The other is stay sitting up after taking it to make sure it does not dissolve in my esophagus or I get severe pain and diahrrea. I'm on 60mg since February and I still feel good. I've never had anything help my chronic major depression like this has.”

Shaky July 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “My Dr prescribed 60 Mg Cymbalta yesterday. I took one capsule at 1:00 pm. At 4:00am I had double vision. I also have glaucoma. Im not sure if I should take even 1 more. But I need a antidepressant so bad!”

Nicole July 5, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had been on eight different anti depressants for 12 years. I tried Cymbalta and had been on it for 14 years .I try to get off of it and I took eight months and I completely went off. Withdrawals were horrific All of my depression and anxiety came back but worse than ever. I’m so glad to be back on it. Cymbalta is a lifesaver.”

Nick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 4, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I went through a bunch of medications for my depression and Cymbalta was the first one that helped my symptoms. I was no longer having episodes and my depression and feelings seem to have subsided. A few months in I started to feel less of any emotion. My wife and I started to argue and she would call me a walking zombie with no feelings at all. I didn't want to have sexual relations with her and that took a toll on our marriage. Other than that though the medication did work great for me but definitely something that I would have considered if I knew this would have been a side affect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I feel so much better, I’m more calm, I don’t get frustrated easily, I have more patience, I have more energy to do things, etc.. the only side effect I get is body heat and a little bit of sweating. Also, I have no desire for sex, but it’s ok since I’m single lol. Anyways, Cymbalta helped me when it comes to my depression and leg pains.”

DSummer · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been taking Cymbalta for approximately 15 yrs. for depression & anxiety. I had tried every other drug on the market. It has been a life saver for me! The first few days I felt nauseous but that is a side effect that goes away. My dr told me it was one of the few that continues to work after taking it for a long time. I mistakenly have quit taking it a few times to see if I felt better. I had no adverse effects coming off of it except that my anxiety & depression worsened. This year was the first time I’ve had my dosage increased since starting the med. As long as it continues to work, I’ll never quit taking it.”

Listentoyrbod June 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’m disappointed that it made me so so sick not as bad as Latuda but 1 day is enough to know this is a bad drug.”

Shelly · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on Cymbalta for three years for lower back pain and depression / anxiety. I have to say it helped a lot. I didn't have any major side effects but increased sweating. I felt it was time to go off of it and slowly weaned myself. This is key. NEVER go off suddenly. The withdrawal wasn't as bad as a feared. I was off of it for about 7 months and my pain worsened and the depression and anxiety came back. I tried some alternative methods but they didn't work very well. I'm now back on Cymbalta and I feel so much better. I'm thankful for it.”