User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression (Page 4)

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Shelly · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on Cymbalta for three years for lower back pain and depression / anxiety. I have to say it helped a lot. I didn't have any major side effects but increased sweating. I felt it was time to go off of it and slowly weaned myself. This is key. NEVER go off suddenly. The withdrawal wasn't as bad as a feared. I was off of it for about 7 months and my pain worsened and the depression and anxiety came back. I tried some alternative methods but they didn't work very well. I'm now back on Cymbalta and I feel so much better. I'm thankful for it.”

Skippy · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 25, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed 30mg at first to help with depression. After talking with my doctor, he decided to increase the dosage to 60mg. I was using it for 9 years and at first it seemed to help. But after a couple of years, it felt like I had a tight band around my head. And I was always dizzy when I stood up. Tried to stop taking it and it felt like I had the flu. So I continued taking it. Then last year, I got tired of the head pain and dizziness. I opened up each capsule to remove 5 mg. I then waited for 2 weeks to remove another 5mg. By doing it this way, I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms and am finally off of it! If it works for you, great! But be prepared for a struggle to quit taking it!”

mrdad · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 23, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Was put on this 5 years ago. It works good but there is one thing they won't tell you. The withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. I will probably never be able to stop taking this. If I miss only one day I get vertigo and brain zaps. Read up on it and it turns out they lied to the FDA about how many people had withdrawal symptoms. It's 70 percent! Some people experience withdrawal symptoms that last a year! So what does the FDA do? A little fine and a class action lawsuit that already expired by the time I realized how bad the withdrawal symptoms are. Eli-Lilly should have been sued out of existence but of course big pharma has the FDA in their pocket. Really read up on the documentation the FDA report and what it says about how they fudged things. It's unbelievable. I wish I never was put on this.”

David · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

“The first couple of weeks of taking one 60mg dose a day was fine, I thought I'd be ok on this. After that the absolutely unbearable stomach cramps and pain started. At times I thought it was a rupture as the pain was so bad. Also 3 weeks of endless and constant diarrhoea absolutely made this drug unusable for me. Stopped taking it as a matter of urgency.”

Randi · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

“I’ve been taking Duloxetine for only 5 days once in the morning at 30mg. This medicine has done wonders. I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, neck pains & chest pains. So far this medicine has helped 100%. The first few days was rough but well worth it ”

Babzter · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “All the old meds had stopped working. I was in so much emotional pain, weeping uncontrollably, hating everyone, but reluctant to take Cymbalta due to bad press. I’m convinced it saved my life. It had a remarkable effect almost immediately. Plus (bonus!) no more back or hip pain!”

CJ June 15, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am prescribed this medication for over-focused ADHD and depression. Before trying this medication I was on Adderall once, and Modafinil once, all for a short time. The Cymbalta medication has really helped me. The pain of depression is gone, my thoughts are in a better scope, and I don't feel as deeply and get into moods. While not feeling as deeply might sound bad to some people, it is a real issue for me. With my depression at bay I'm much more able to focus on what I need to do and do it with a good attitude. I notice I don't obsess over things as much and am able to be present in the moment, and easily change my train of thought to the next thing. I'm very happy I trusted my doctor on this, because at first I really didn't like the idea. I know this is temporary, but I trust in the medication to put me in a safe place. Understand that the bad reviews are obvious in that some people were simply misdiagnosed. I have no negative side effects at all.”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Took Cymbalta for 90 days. My doctor initially prescribed me a 30 mg/daily dosage and I lost sexual function. I went down to 20 mg and it seemed to amplify my depression and anxiety. I stopped taking it a week ago and have felt absolutely horrible since then. I WILL NEVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN! THIS STUFF IS POISON!!!”

lilflower June 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on Cymbalta about 3 years ago and it worked pretty well but I lost my job and insurance so I went off it cold turkey...no way!!! Sick to my stomach constantly, brain zaps and feeling like I was drunk couldn't even walk straight. then just recently I have fell into a deep depression and decided to go back on it and this time it made me go into a severe deeper depression that I never thought could happen to me. Couldn't get out of bed for almost 4 weeks. I said forget this and off I went again. So far no side effects getting off because I was only on it a month. Good luck!!!”

Wolfie · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

“After 3 weeks on duloxetine at a dose 60mg I finally feel like an adequately functioning human being! Depression is under control and. Duloxetine is much more effective than the SSRIs I have tried. Did take time to kick in though.”

TW · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “My Dr. started me on Cymbalta about a month ago. I go to a VA clinic and my Dr. is a great psychiatrist whom has many many years in practice. I told him of all my issues and problems and he ordered this med for me. I am currently maintained on other meds for opiate withdrawal, so I’ve been through the rough stuff before. I gotta say, even from day one , which made me slightly woozy, and some queazy, it is a wonderful drug for me. The queasiness subsided after a couple of days, and I noticed almost immediately my depression was decreased dramatically. It also did wonders for my anxiety. I have no issues with this med, it’s great for me. Not all people have the exact same imbalance , so I suggest to shop around until you find the right one. If you are getting meds from a general physician. I suggest you see a well qualified physiatrist and tell him exactly what you feel and when and how, and he can get you pretty close to the center of the dartboard of what med you need.”

Lilred78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

“I've been prescribed duloxetine (Cymbalta) oh man, the side effects are horrible. I get gas in my stomach almost immediately after taking the drug, also it makes me have terrible vivid dreams every night even in the day if I'm able to take a nap I never can rest or sleep at all from the vivid dreams that occur. My blood pressure goes sky, high heart beat fast in the morning after waking up. It's side effects are extremely high I don't advise this to anyone. ...please be careful if you start having vivid dreams stop taking this medication as it's not worth it. I didn't feel any energy or pain relief it feels like taking lyrica but with horrible side effects. I'd rather go thru the effects from stopping getting off the drug instead of going thru it staying on the drug that doesn't work or and so many different types of side effects.”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

“I have been on duloxetine for just over a month now. Started at 30 mg for 2 weeks and then up to 60 mg. My depression is better, I feel less anxious, my pain from arthritis is much better, and my irritable bowel syndrome is gone. My appetite has decreased and as a result I have lost some weight. I feel really good overall. The only side effect for has been fatigue. Very severe the 1st week and again when I doubled. It is much better now but I am hoping it gets even better in time. I'm still a bit fatigued and yawning all day.”

Mike · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug is poison..it will make you extremely tired where you don't want to get out of bed..and good luck trying to get off it if you want to stop..there has been tons of lawsuits against the company lilly about the withdrawal symptoms how severe they are. There is even a group on Facebook with 20,000 members who talk about how dangerous this drug is. The withdrawals are longer then street drugs it screws up your brain..you been warned!”

Brazilian depressed boy · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

“I suffer from MDD and GAD since 2008. 10 days ago, I just simply couldn't get out of home and I went to doctor because my medication wasn't having effect anymore. Since I started taking the medications on 2008, I had tried almost all anti-depressants - and, fortunately, duloxetine was one of the few I hadn't take yet. In less than a week, I started being able to get out of home and walk by the streets. Today, I'm feeling almost 80% better than I was last week - in only 10 days under treatment and in a low dosage (only 30 mg). I just can't wait for next week to arrive, because I'll increase the dosage to 60 mg and will probably get much better than now. The doctor has just made the best choice to my case - never felt too good since 2008.”

Lefty219 · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I believe I experienced positive results after just one dose. However, after the second dose (day 2), I developed a severe rash over my entire body. I had to stop the medication immediately and go to my doctor for a change in Rx. I am very disappointed, because it seemed to give the best result for my depression. Also, it was a tremendous waste of pills and money.”

Moose · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Took Cymbalta for 10 days only have severe nausea and insomnia hoping it goes away soon can’t sleep or eat at all”

Lemon · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is the worst. Be very careful when taking this drug and watch for worsening depression symptoms”

DirtyRed · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

“This duloxetine medication has worked wonders for my depression. I am currently a Blackjack dealer and I dreaded going to work every day dealing with the guest and my co workers. Since taking Cymbalta for 2 months now....it has me in a soooo much better mood. I am back interacting with my guests and co workers. I most certainly will give this medicine a thumbs up for depression.”

chronic depressive · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Just by taking 30 mg I had an acute sensation of depersonalization, extreme heart stabbing pain, anxiety, extreme depression and overall extreme mental agony and a wish to just cease existing to not have to feel these horrible effects. I cannot tolerate another day of agony taking this drug. Whatever horrible depression I was suffering from before is nothing compared to how I feel now. It may just be me who tolerates SSRI/SNRI type of drugs horribly but anyway I cannot recommend this to anyone based on my experience and also knowing that these type of drugs pretty much always induce sexual dysfunction.”

Aaron · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had a similar experience with Cymbalta to some mentioned here, an extreme stomach reaction that had me back and forth from the bathroom after the second dose. I obviously stopped there so can’t speak to the mental results but it wrecked my body for a good 24 hours.”

Marly · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2019

“I was on escitalopram which was good at first but stopped working for me. I then tried sertraline but felt worse. Saw a psychiatrist who recommended duloxetine 30mg which has been increased to 60 mg OD. I have started to feel an improvement with my depression which is great. I was disheartened with the previous medication as I thought that maybe my brain has become tolerant to it. We are all unique and one will never suit all. Don't give up if one doesn't work and don't go by everyone else's experience as we are genetically different.. :)”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “It worked for depression back pain and migraines. But I threw up constantly, and couldn’t keep anything down at all. It always came back out one way or the other. At one point I started getting stomach pains from throwing up so much. My throat is sore and a little swollen now too from it. And I would feel numb sometimes and “off” emotionally. Never felt so bad. Got taken off of it, and the withdrawal symptoms are awful too. Wouldn’t recommend it at all. It’s just not worth it.”

Joyful1975 · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Hi, I am at the end of week one 30mg Cymbalta, and it is like a brand new me.. although today I have hit a little bit of a low, I am so much better. Cymbalta literally has saved my life and my marriage PRAISE GOD!!!!! I am looking forward to each day and know with time all will level out. No more extreme lows with suicidal thoughts, sleeping all day long, just wanting life to end. I wished I would have let my pride go a long time ago & told my doctor I needed help. Wednesday is my birthday and I am looking forward to spending it with my husband... Yay!!! 44 and hopeful for the future.”

TP · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta helped me get through a rough patch in my life. I am grateful for how it allowed me to cope with my sibling's passing. I was on 60mg and recently decided it was time to move on and discontinue medication. I decreased dosage every two weeks by 10mg, then weekly by 5mg (taking out one small pill of the 12 pills in the capsule). Please talk to your doctor if you wish to taper off the drug, but this method worked for me. I was terrified of withdrawals based on the horror stories I read, but I had almost no withdrawal symptoms. The sexual side effect of the drug was a real bummer, and the only negative of my experience.”