User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Depression (Page 2)

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Thumb · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “First off the generics don’t work for me. I have to get them from Canada and they are still very expensive. I am so forgetful and it is getting worse. I really don’t know what to do but when I miss a dose I have terrible dreams. I only take 30 mg. I wish I didn’t have to take them as I pay so much for them.”

Miz · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“Citalopram that I was taking for depression seemed to lose its effectiveness after several years so with doctor we decided to switch to duloxetine. No side effects while cross tapering. After a week of 30mg, started feeling better. Started taking 60mg three days ago. Hopefully I will get even better benefits with time. I'm hoping it will help with chronic pain and resulting anxiety as well. I hope this review will give others hope and not be afraid to give it a try because of so many horror stories I've seen here. Not to invalidate the experiences of others, we all simply have differing responses to different medications.”

Scott · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Welbutrin didn't do much, switched to Cymbalta and within a month felt like a new person. Better version of the old me.”

spanishq · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta 120 mg for 10 weeks. It's been a life saver. I tried venlafaxine before with no relief. In the past, paroxetine worked so good on me, but my doc thought it was necessary to make drug holidays on it, so it became, with time, non effective on me. Also escitalopram with bad results and Anafranil (guess is nortriptyline) with bad results. Also taking Lyrica for the anxiety, Lorazepam 15 mg/day and mirtazapine 45 mg at night. With time, I know I will be able to take off some of this meds, like the high Lorazepam dosage, but I won't be comfortable with taking off Duloxetine, I won't pass through depression again if I know there is something keeps me calm, functional and happy. No sexual disfunction, I'm single and I don't care if I can't get an erection (in fact I can) or weight gain (I weight 5 or 6 more mg than before) but honestly, who cares about this, or dry mouth, if the med keeps working. God bless the inventors of Duloxetine (Cymbalta)!”

Choobs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I tried to commit suicide this year and ended up in the nuthouse (Australian for psych hospital). Put me on Cymbalta and for me, it's a flaming nightmare. I'm on 90 mg and even though it seems to help a bit, I now know that's a lie. The chilling nightmares that have me awake and soaking wet, unable to catch my breath properly. I don't recommend this stuff, if you want to have a good nights sleep ever again.”

Repeat attempts · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“I was put on 30mg Cymbalta 17 years ago. Amazingly it totally helped with my depression. The first time I tried to quit it was because "Hey, I've got this, I am doing great". Well I ended up in a dark suicidal hole and had to increase to 60mg. Scared to be so so so dependent on it, I eventually tried to decrease doses in half, then half again. Oh the suicidal hole came back. Again on 60mg. Then read about how to slow taper to control withdrawal symptoms. Yet once again landed in suicidal hole despite low and slow taper. Back on 30mg and doing better. To sum it up, it works well for me and I cannot get off of it. Best to all of you in this struggle.”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Has anyone experienced the side effect of excessive vaginal / menstrual bleeding with this Cymbalta medication? Because I am and I hope it’s just these meds.”

Woff · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“I have been on many medications, but this one is one of the worst I've been on. I was switched from Celexa to it by my dr because Celexa just... stopped working, but at least it didn't actively make all of my mental conditions worse. Do not take it if you haven't tried other stuff first. It has done nothing to help me.”

Baby cakes · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Since taking this garbage Cymbalta for depression I'm feel about to literally menstrual bleeding is never ending and will in fact be the end for me. The doctor was suppose to be setting me up to have a complete hysterectomy. Needless to say I am still waiting ”

Amy November 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Awful. Was given the lowest dosage cymbalta for work related stress/mild depression. Made me have night sweats and insomnia. Also made me extremely agitated especially at night - no matter what time I had taken the medication. Also, my blood pressure rose quite a bit during the couple of months of taking the medication.”

Poppi · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 11, 2019

“I think duloxetine is a wonderful drug. I took 40mg a few years ago when I was under a lot of stress and therefore suffering from depression. I stopped taking it 2 years ago, and had absolutely no problem coming off it. I then starting taking 40 mg earlier this year, and am much better. I actually chose to go back onto this particular anti depressant, and will be sticking to it. Also, it has helped with my overactive bladder and nausea, which I would get when eating certain foods. Now I can eat whatever I want, so I assume it was stress that was causing the nausea. I would not consider taking any other antidepressant, as in the past they had failed to work.”

Petr81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 8, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I took Cymbalta 7 years , maximum dosage. At the beginning it makes you "move" , motivation to do something but as time goes on the side effects drove me to a physical and psychological collapse. Excessive sweating, insomnia & fatigue were the main side effects that gradually disintegrated my health globally.”

Maria das dores · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Awful! This medication helps to destroy you. Stay away! Thanks.”

Smile 23 October 23, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is good for depression and did help my relative for 10 years 60 mg every day but my relative wanted to be free from using anti depressants and so stopped it slowly reducing the dose which later worked and they felt relieved but got the worst depression and even attempted suicide. l am here to warn every one not to try to stop taking cymbalta if it is working for you just stick to it - the withdraw was a horror and after withdrawing it gave them 2 months of peace and third month a very bad depression that they have never experienced came back that they attempted suicide . They then had to put my relative to bed rest for 7 months every medication failed to work so they were switched back on cymbalta but it was also not helping even after increasing the dose so finally at the dose of 90mg it didn't help until Aripiprazole was added that's when it helped with depression but caused bad anxiety which we stopped with 0.5g lorazepam morning and evening”

Anonymousmama · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2019

“I've been on duloxetine for over a year. While it has helped my anxiety and depression it doesn't help my pain at all. Or my urinary issues which I know it is known to help also. I feel drained all the time so it hasn't helped that at all. I'm just so freaking tired. :'( idk probably not for me I don't think. Surely I shouldn't be this tired.”

Necee · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve taken Cymbalta about 10 years. 90 mg and lower. Helped at first, then started getting agitated, no sleep, constipation. Horrible. Don’t recommend this drug. Had a mini stroke 6 months ago. Dreading the tapering.”

karysue · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I took this drug for 4 years for depression. It was not very effective and I tried to slowly go off of it even slower than my doctors recommended schedule. I took four months. A week after stopping I felt like I descended into the darkest place, I became cold and clammy, I screamed and felt so hopeless. Then I suffered daily panic attacks, my husband had to be at my side 24/7 for 7 weeks - SO FAR. I do not know how long this will last. No one can say. The Cymbalta withdrawal center says it lasts for 2 months. My recommendation is NEVER GO ON CYMBALTA. My physician friend told me "to get off of Cymbalta is as painful as getting off of heroin." NO JOKE.”

JinxD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2019

“I've been on and off numerous meds for depression in the last ten years. They all stopped working after some period of time, but I always had side effects with every single one, and unless they're beyond unbearable, I try to push through to see if the drug will help. Cymbalta made me feel like me almost immediately which is why I was willing to suffer through 3 whole months of ultra-severe nausea. About halfway thru that time, I discovered that Dramamine to combated the nausea. The nausea went away after three months and I feel wonderful. I do experience extra sweating and bizarre dreams, however. Anyone else have a hard time sleeping and have crazy dreams? But I wouldn't stop this drug if you paid me. I'm finally me again, no more days and days of crying, no more hiding at home, I have self-control, it's beautiful. But I'm so tired from not sleeping well. Anyone else?”

Lusifa · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

“I was put on Duloxetine for depression due to chronic pain. It can say it improved my mood very much but I did get some side effects. I found I would sweat terribly on it, my bed was soaked nearly every night. Summer was a nightmare I’m from the UK and our summers ain’t that great, but I’d covered in sweat from doing the slightest tasks. My sex drive was also reduced quite badly too. I decided to stop taking it myself and gradually weaned myself down to one 30mg every other day. When I did stop I had dizzy spells and nausea for roughly a week. I feel better for coming off it.”

Trekk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “The most important thing I want to share here is that it is the most addictive substance I have ever taken (And I have tried at least 100 different drugs.) It's not addictive because of the benefits it gives. It's addictive as anything because when you forget to take a pill - all the hell break loose. I highly do not recommend this to anyone. If you consider taking it - DO NOT! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Better be sick from your illness then get another illness because of this medicine. Do some online research about CYMBALTA HURTS WORSE”

Nandor · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Absolutely terrible. I was prescribed 20mg Cymbalta to replace Prozac, which didn’t help my depression at all. The first few weeks there were no changes, so we increased it to 30mg, then 60mg. I lost the ability to feel emotions at all. I was numb. I couldn’t make myself eat. I lost 5% of my weight. I had started self harming just to feel something and felt suicidal. For some reason, I told myself to go to the doc one last time. It’s recommended that Cymbalta should be tapered off slowly, but there’s almost no way to do that 60mg to 30mg as it a big jump and the capsules shouldn’t be opened. The doc said I should quit cold turkey since I was in such a dark place. The withdrawal was torture. I couldn’t leave the house for two weeks because of vertigo, “brain zaps”, headaches, and confusion. I’m on Wellbutrin now and it’s a hundred times better in my experience.”

Purple Minion · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug is a nightmare to get off of I don’t recommend it ever. I was on it for ten years. I am still having withdrawals after 60 days!!!! I vomited for three weeks. My body cannot get back in sync”

sc · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2019

“I am 33 and have been on generic Cymbalta (duloxetine) for about 3-4 years now. I take two 60mg (so 120) a day for my major depression. IT WORKS !! With very minimal to no side effects either! I used to cry every day, hate my life, not get out of bed, etc and the SSRIs I tried (celexa and prozac) did not work for me, or only worked for a short amount of time, so my doc switched me to this SNRI. My only real negative thought for it, is if I go a day without it (like I forgot to take it or bring it with me when I leave the house) I can feel those terrible emotions come back to me usually by nightfall that day. So yes, there is a reason doctors tell you NOT to stop taking your antidepressants completely, but rather to wean yourself off them slowly should you choose to do so. With cymbalta, I very rarely, if ever, have what I call an "episode" where I feel hopeless,etc. It hasn't affected my eating or sleeping habits, or my weight.”

Jan1062 · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for ten years. It immediately helped my fibromyalgia pain and worked awesome for my depression. I was on 60mg for about 5 years and now on 90mg 5 years. I tried to come off it so for one month I took 60mg last February. The symptoms were unbearable. I felt bee stings everywhere and I literally mean everywhere. My legs were in soo much pain my whole body felt like it was shaking inside. I had flushing a fever non stop itching. The list goes on. It definitely served a wonderful purpose when I started, I just kinda feel cheated they didn’t tell me I have to stay on for the rest of my life. ”

Carolyn September 16, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have Summer SAD (seasonal affective disorder) (yes it's a thing). My insomnia was made worse by this drug Cymbalta but it did take away my anxiety and I may have lost some pounds on it. After a couple weeks I dropped down to 20 mg every other day so I could sleep better. It was toward the end of summer and I started to wean myself off. I haven't had one in 2 or 3 weeks and I am still getting dizzy here and there. Did not experience zaps like others but I have to agree the withdrawal is quite lengthy for someone taking only 20 mg and for a very short time. Withdrawal symptoms included dizziness and daytime sleepiness - I only took this drug for maybe 6 weeks, and not every day.”