User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Chronic Pain

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 176 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Pain. 51% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Jacob · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2021

“Please do not try or thinking of taking this meds. It’s not worth it. Prescribed 30mg from the doctor and took it the first night. Because I was told it would help with the nerve pain and sleep but it did the opposite and made it worse. Asked the doctor about the side effects and he just told me the side effects of it would make me tired and drowsy and I was ok with that but I regret taking that. First and last time ever taking this horrible medicine! Please Do your research before taking this garbage.”

Derobyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I began Cymbalta about a month ago after telling my new MD that I had aches/pains everywhere and was not sleeping because of it. She began me on 60mg and after a month, I am now not having the pain that I had before. I have had 3 nights in a row of getting into bed and being comfortable and can rest and sleep! I read all of the reviews I could, and saw all of the negative ones. Everyone is different, please don't think because someone else had a bad experience that you will too.”

Johnny July 17, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed this for severe fibromyalgia pain. It was awful! Insomnia, nausea, headache, restless legs while on it for a month. So even with a proper tapering off I felt like I was going to die!!! Finally out of my system. Please stay away from this nightmare of a drug and shame on doctors for not warning people about the withdrawal you may experience coming off of it.”

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on Cymbalta for about a month now for lack of energy, depression and chronic back pain. I started with 30mg/D and one week later to 60mg/D. I had some mild nausea a few days after starting the 30mg and nothing at all with 60. This medication is changing my life and is doing everything it's supposed to do. The back pain is gone almost completely, I'm energized, focused and calm. I can now put in a full productive day just like everyone else and not be dragging myself around by noon. I was very scared to start because I read all the scary reviews but I love, love, love this stuff!”

GleeAgain · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This is the only med that has helped my nerve pain/neuropathy. Lyrica & Neurotin didn’t work. One made me dizzy, the other made my nerve pain worse. I was scared to try Cymbalta after hearing some people say they hated it. Honestly it’s been a Godsend for me. I still have other kinds of pain, but the pins & needles & tingling & burning are no longer there. I take a narcotic a few times a day, but 1/2 what I did before Cymbalta. I may have had some weight gain from it, but I don’t know if it’s this or just my age & diet mostly. I can’t get off the Cymbalta for now as it helps too much. I also used to have some anxiety/panic attacks & I don’t have them on this. I’m able to stop myself thank God. I have a happy sex life with my husband & no negative side effects (except possibly a few pounds). I also have low back pain less frequently. You don’t know til you try it how it might work for you. I take 60mg/night 4-5 years. I’m 45 years old.”

Maggsoct October 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am taking the time to write a positive review for Cymbalta to hopefully help another person considering this medication. Dose and Side effects -> My experience has been good with brand version of Cymbalta for 1 month - 30 mg. Day 1 a bit nauseous and diarrhea. Nothing else except constipation. Relief-> I suffer from nerve / chronic pain. I felt relief from back pain week 1 and at week 3 my nerve pain is calming down. I have not gained weight. Cymbalta->For those considering this medication, take time to read the good reviews and consider the brand version if you can afford it. Generics aren’t the exact replicas of the original brand. There are umpteen different versions of generics and vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. So you never know what kind you're going to get. Take time to do your research -> I work in medical education. The information is out there on the net to educate us on side effects, generics, withdrawal etc.”

Galen · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for over a year (60mg per day) and this has been life changing. No side effects at all and my chronic nerve pain (from a herniated disc) is down about 98%. I recommend anyone with nerve pain to at least try this one. I take the generic version.”

Caligrammy · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for 3 weeks and feel great — free of spine pain and aches that follow surgeries. No longer am I taking pain meds or high doses of aspirin. Keep pinching myself that this is real!”

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “One of the worst medications ever. 1st 5 days, had no desire to do anything. Complete apathy about everything. Also had terrible nausea for 5 days. That finally went away. Then it started feeling like something was literally tapping on my brain. It did nothing for the chronic pain I had. I don't know how anyone can take this medicine. Stopped taking it. Had a headache for a few days, that was it.”

jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on Cymbalta 20 mg for about 5 weeks which was prescribed for chronic hip/lower back pain. Day 2 into the medication the hip/lower back pain was gone! Doc upped the dosage to 40 mg....day 1 after taking 40 mg the arthritis on both hands/fingers was gone also. Very minimum side effects.”

SandraDV July 21, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed 20 mg of Cymbalta three days ago. The agonizing pain in my knees is virtually gone. Not kidding! All the negative posts almost made me quit. Don't give up. I was offended that my doctor prescribed this medication as it is an antidepressant. I convinced myself I wasn't suffering depression I was suffering from chronic pain. Come on people! Who, if you are in chronic pain isn't depressed? I couldn't do anything anymore. I couldn't get out in the garden, couldn't cook for my family, couldn't walk up or down stairs without leaning on the rails. I know it's too soon to tell but I know it is doing what ever it's suppose to do in my brain to cut out the pain.”

Spiro123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug had some side effects the first two weeks I could not get more than one hour of sleep. It takes away some of the chronic pain in my hands and I can get a full night sleep. Give it time to work if you're using it for chronic pain don't quit after one month because it takes a good 6 to 7 weeks to really enjoy the benefits of cymbalta”

Tulsa · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “For nine years I had lower back pain due to a bulging disk. I also had aches/discomfort in the left hip that caused me to walk with a limp. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for chronic pain and a few days later I noticed that the hip aches/discomfort and back pain were gone. I no longer walk with a limp! Very minor side effects.”

kazza · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I don't usually leave reviews for anything and I researched this drug and saw so many negative comments about it so I thought I would leave a positive one. People seem to try this for 1 - 3 days and give up, how is this giving the drug a good chance at working? I have had chronic musculoskeletal lower back pain for just over a year now without any opiates working long term, so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta 30mgs to start with, yes I did have side effects... nausea, insomnia, lack of concentration, fainting, headaches etc but when you are desperate for pain relief you try anything and I stuck it out for the 2 weeks and all the side effects have gone, I now gone up to 60mgs and I feel this is kicking in quite nicely, I don't need my pain patches anymore etc”

Amira · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta has been the worst drug I've ever been on and was irresponsibly prescribed by my dr for chronic pain. I was on it for 4 months and it didn't work at all. To make it worse I almost died from withdrawal because my dr took off for 3 months and left no one in his place to write my prescription. Therefore I went into withdrawal, which he never warned me about. This drug is worse than any opiate. If you take your medication responsibly you shouldn't be denied other more helpful medication.”

Holly · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have RSD = Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy which is a nerve problem cause by damaged nerves, mine is in my right foot in my toes. This Pain is so bad it makes you cry it is that painful. I have had this for 15 years and I will always have been told there is no cure for this disease. My Dr put me on Cymbalta, keep in mind I also have a pain pump in planted in me to also help the pain which it does help but there are times I need to take that edge off, so he put me on Cymbalta been taking it now for a few weeks I have noticed a huge difference in the pain being much much less. It is doing the job it was given to me to do and is working well. Nothing worse than being in pain and not being able to live life, it is miserable but now things have gotten better, not in that miserable state where it ruins your life, life is so much better!”

Shesh · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta has helped me so much for chronic pain. Initially, I felt dizzy and weird for about a month on 30mg a day. And, I didn't think it helped my pain. My doctor increased the dose to 60mg a day and said that is the standard dose for fibromyalgia. Since the dosage increased, my pain has been helped 70 to 80%. I am glad I stuck with it. I haven't gained weight, and my appetite has decreased a little, which is good.”

HRUT September 7, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I feel the need to write this review as I read so many negative reviews online of Cymbalta before I started taking it, and they really freaked me out. However, while I cannot negate what others have said as I know this type of medication varies for almost everyone, Cymbalta has been really great for me! I have mysterious chronic pain for over two years now, and after trying so many different things to lessen it (other medications, chiropractic, PT, supplements, acupuncture, stretching, icing....the list goes on), this has been the only thing that has really helped me. My pain hasn't gone away fully, but Cymbalta has made my life a lot easier. I have experienced no side effects so far.”

boomergal50 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for two months, 60mg in the morning. The first week I was on 30mg to give my body a chance to get used to the drug. I have had no side effects, except maybe a little constipation the first week or two. I am taking it for chronic pain from osteoarthritis in neck and lower back. I do suffer from anxiety and mild depression. My fingers were killing me two months ago. Now when I make a fist the fingers are a little stiff but no pain. My neck pain has been more manageable. I am still having issues with lower back joint dysfunction. I generally feel more optimistic, don't get aggravated at bad drivers, take things a little more easy and have more energy to get things done. My motivation is coming back. I am only rating an 8 at this point since it has only been two months.”

SalsaVerde September 9, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was started on Cymbalta for pain at 30 mg per day the first month. I experienced mild disruption of sleep for a few nights, but no other side effects. My pain was initially reduced by 70% but began to wear off by evening. Second month my dose was upped to 60 mg per day, which I take at lunch time. My neck pain and neuropathy in hands and feet have been reduced by 90% which is like a miracle to me. I have been able to resume yoga and biking. Life is very good now. I was switched to generic Duloxetine with no loss of benefit and no more side effects. I'm one of the lucky ones who does not suffer many side effects from medications. My sister cannot use this one at all.”

Always In Pain · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is somewhat costly. Initially prescribed for lower back pain. The first 2-3 months, it worked VERY well. It helped with the back pain, and, improved my general mood. Bonus feature, it was helping with my permanent migraine. I had only a few side effects, at first, but, they started building up. Insomnia to the point of 15 minutes of sleep, or less, per day (for over a month), spontaneous ejaculation, cold sweats, no sex drive. Started to get a few electric shock-like sensations in the extremities. Started to feel zombie-like. I came off the stuff cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms included MANY shock-like jolts to hands & feet (for about 6 years), a few months of a zombie-like feeling (Low drive) I'd rate it GOOD for a short-term use (1-2 months). Anything longer than 3 months, I would strongly advise against. (As any other anti-depressant)”

Socallynsey · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “3 Months and so far this drug has helped me more than PT, steroid shots, yoga, massage, traction, ibuprofen and patience. The side effects were challenging to begin with, but once the first few weeks had passed by, I was feeling pretty normal and back to my old self again. I can't describe how grateful I am for this medication and it's helped me to no end. Don't believe all the negative reviews, but take note of the positive reviews too.”

Jlc1963 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Put on Cymbalta 30 mg with intentions of going up to 60 mg. It was for anxiety, panic attacks, chronic pain from back surgery, stenosis of spine and cervical fusion. I have taken it for 7 months. HAD NO side effects EVER. It helps me sleep at night. My pain, anxiety, and panic attacks are minimal. Only complaint is that I have gained 10lbs and I am hungry all the time. I am still taking 30 mg.”

CieBarbie · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 24, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have rheumatoid arthritis that was not responding to orencia, arava, rituxan (!), cimzia or humira. Prior to these medications, I was on enbrel, but it stopped working after 9 years and I was allergic to methotrexate. The cymbalta seemed to make my pain much more bearable. I still had the joint pains, but somehow, the pain wasn't such a massive ordeal. Oh, and it also nicely treated my chronic major depressive disorder as well. I thought that maybe if I was on a higher dose, I might have less pain, so my dose of generic (Lupin) duloxetine was increased up to 150mg a day, and I found that although I could function fine during the day, I could not sleep. It was like I was too keyed up or something. Not anxious, just keyed up. I was able to sleep once I dropped my dose back down to 120mg a day. I give Cymbalta a 10 because it is a single medicine that treats two medical conditions!”

Sandra · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I took my first dose around 8:30pm last night (30mg). Went to sleep around 10:30pm. Woke at 2am with hallucination type dreams, felt like I would vomit. I went to the couch so I wouldn’t wake my husband. I shivered, sweated, had diarrhea, and was in a dream like state but couldn’t sleep. The nausea was the worst. Hard to keep even water down. Through the rest of the day I had nausea hitting me hard, could only make it to the bathroom. Finally called the dr and asked for nausea medication and that seems to help some. I’m never taking this again, and wouldn’t recommend it for someone new to Anti-depressants. I’m almost 24 hours from my first dose and I’m still feeling sick, but can eat a little now.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Not good. Try to change your situation without using cymbalta. If you cannot exercise to relieve your pain then try deep breathing and relaxing music, books or walking. If you are bed ridden, pray and use mindful thinking. It requires time and dedication. Learn stretches with deep breaths but be careful to not break or injure yourself.”

Adub0614 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I suffer from chronic pain, depression and anxiety for the past 10 years and I'm 30. Football ruined my life, but cymbalta has made it worse. Not only did I NOT receive any benefit from cymbalta but I gave it the a serious 2 month try and I'm not spending 90% of my time withdrawing from it. I cannot imagine if I was on this a year, let alone ten. If this medicine helps you, I would weigh the benefits seriously- because either you're going to the grave with this medicine or you're going to have to feel the "benefits" of coming off of this poison. Beware.. because no doctor will tell you these things. Worse than 2 years of clonazepam, alcohol, or opiates... no joke. Hope this helps someone!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta did not help my pain. I have myofascial pain syndrome. It made it worse because it caused me to clench my jaw. It also came with severe side effects, and then I found out it is almost impossible to get off. Withdrawal symptoms are horrendous and last months to years. I am on a 2 to 3 year taper schedule to get off of this drug that never helped. I gained 40 pounds and have terrible daytime fatigue. If you are considering taking this drug, please do a lot more research”