User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"Worked a treat for me ...took a few weeks maybe a month but once they kicked in proper they did the job. I had a few side effects like sweating, tired etc at first but within 2/4 weeks all went away after that was fine . Stayed on them 5 months then started to taper off them for a few weeks. I've not used them for around a few weeks and there is a few side affects when coming off my were mostly feeling light headed / dizzy but got easier each day. Good luck folks stay strong"

BB March 26, 2018

"I’ve been on almost all of the anxiety/depressant drugs including an anti-psychotic. This one, by far, has helped me the most. I function normally on a day to day basis. I can get up & carry on and enjoy my everyday activities. They started me on 60 mg a day at first, which I found made me sleepy. They lowered me to 30 mg. That was the magic number. I take it at night with a .25 mg Xanax and sleep well."

dfw1103 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been taking cymbalta 60mg for nearly 10 months now for anxiety and depression. Im feeling so much better and wanting to get off them completely. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks"

Loz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on this medication for depression and possible help with fibromyalgia for a couple of years. My doctor had me on so many meds, I started taking myself off one at the time, with his approval. The Cymbalta was by far the worse withdrawals of anything I have ever taken. It was three solid months of withdrawals, cold, hot, tingles on my head and body. Even with a slow decrease in dosage, it was horrible. I would not allow anyone I care about to use this drug."

Sunshine32456 February 15, 2018

"Possible fibro / severe panic disorder / dizzy / migraine-associated vertigo (MAV) / chronic infections seemingly brought on by stress. This drug has made all of this better. Almost like my life never skipped a beat and was just on track as if nothing was ever wrong. My wife is ecstatic. So am I. Thank you cymbalta"

Adam11223322 January 2, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I am 24 I was experiencing chronic anxiety ، severe muscle tension، fatigue and problem in concentration for about more than year. I did not know exactly the reason for these symptoms. At first I thought it could be a physical problem in my body. but after some medical tests my doctors suggested me to visit a psychiatric doctor. So my p doctor recognized my problem as General anxiety disorder and prescribed me cybmalta. first week only one 30 mg from second week، two 30 mg per day. after 2 weeks، it started to work . after 5week ، excellent...I was almost the man who I was before anxiety!!!but after a while its performance a little decreased for 2 month. again after the third month ، again it started to getting better slowly. after 6 month، I am really calm"

GAD- (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I been on Cymbalta for almost a year and I have no anxiety or depression I really didn’t have any side effects except nausea but other then that the meds work great I’m happy with it "

Lisaplummer32 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta seems to be working great for me. I had been on two others Lexapro and Zoloft just prior. One made me feel happy but had bad side effects and the other stopped the panic and anxiety but left me feeling depressed/unhappy. I was not real hopeful going on this as I thought I needed more serotonin in my body verses just levelling out what I had, I was happy to find out that it seems to help a lot. No panic and anxiety and I actually feel like getting up and doing something rather than laying around and I have lost 8 pounds! I take 20mg and that seems to be all I need. Overall I am happy with it."

Windee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "To the gentleman whose doctor switched him from Klonopin to Cymbalta: The reason you are suffering from severe anxiety is that you were taken off a Benzodiazepine too quickly instead of having been TAPERED off the drug. Cymbalta is no substitute for Klonopin. Your doctor needs to go back to med school! I've been taking 60 mg of Cymbalta since 2009, after my husband committed suicide. It has helped me a lot with depression and anxiety, but I'm finding that my anxiety has recently increased because my new husband has lung cancer. I was put on 90 mg of Cymbalta recently, and I'm hoping that the higher dose will decrease, and not increase, my anxiety levels."

GenieP August 15, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Hey everyone trying cymbalta, This drug has calmed me down and lightened me up. When someone asks me how I'm doing, I can honestly say , good ! I use to be intense and I thought about suicide a lot and spent many hours in bed trying to escape from reality . I hated small talk and saw it as phoney and awkward and an act I put on just to come across as average ; like the average happy person . Nope . That was not me . I was tormented by anxiety and depression and dark thoughts. Cymbalta is a good drug. Hope it works for you. I started at approx 5 mg, then 10, 20 and now 30mg. Low dose I know but effective. I would open the capsule and measure a somewhat close enough dose to what I could handle . Give it a good 3 months to work!!"

Sage123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I took Cymbalta for the first time last night. Within an hour I was falling asleep on the couch, which I never do. Usually I have insomnia, but I slept through the night. However, when I woke up I was violently nauseous and had to take an anti nausea medication (which I sometimes use when my anxiety is really bad cause it makes me sick). I attempted to go about my normal day, but found myself having to take two naps because I was excessively tired. I've been watching and reading about this medication all day and I am terrified to take another dose because of the side effects and ultimate withdrawal I'll experience if it doesn't work out. I noticed today, through my headache and tiredness that I felt more calm. I'm praying it works for me!"

Anoble (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I personally didn't like this medication as it made me so sick I couldn't eat lost weight and generally felt weak due lack of energy from not eating. Although my GP told me this was a rare occurrence as the side effects generally stop after a couple of days after weeks they didn't. Still looking for a medication that suits me personally. Glad it has been effective so many others"

Muchelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "So far, life changing"

Vcccc May 25, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "My thoughts on Cymbalta: Cymbalta has left me in a fog. I have no feelings- NONE. Driving is a chore as my eyes are excessively shifty. God forbid you ever forget to take your medication as you will be stricken with these obnoxious little shocks (which I've recently learned were called 'brain zaps'.) My heart beat is erratic. My brain is unable to form the right words when I talk which causes me to pause when I speak. I zone out regularly. I've been trying to taper off of this medication and am on day 9. The withdrawals are debilitating. I cannot focus. My chest and my jaw are tense. My fog has worsened significantly. Driving is dangerous as my vision is blurred. I am angry and easily agitated. I feel like crying but I can't. JUST SAY NO!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "My new doctor recently switched me from klonopin to Cymbalta. I'd been taking Klonopin for two years at a low dose with NO issues, but this doctor can't help meddling. Anyway, this Cymbalta is a nightmare. I'm not depressed, just have anxiety, so why am I taking this? I've been so edgy and nauseous since starting it. I can't sleep, and sit in meetings at work spacing out. Never take this medication. I'm seeing my doc next week and am just going to flatly say I'm not taking this anymore. Luckily a different doc prescribes the Klonopin."

Jame F April 15, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Within 2 hours of taking the medication, my brain lit up, it felt like I was high. I couldn't contain the energy, so I went for a run. By midway through the day I went to the park with my nephews, I took them on the swings. I thought I'd go on with them, so I started swinging and it felt like I was going to die. The most terrible feeling of fear I have ever experienced. It felt like I was free falling. I had a total panic attack. At the end of it I freaked out and just needed to get home. Could barely drive or focus. By day two I started feeling terrible raw feeling in my stomach, fought the feeling of vomiting most of the day, exhausted detached. My brain would fluctuate between euphoria and complete inability to calculate or communicate."

Dr stranglove April 14, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've tried prozac, effexor, welbutrin and buspar. Cymbalta is the only med that makes me feel normal and cures my anxiety with no noticeable side effects. There is a withdrawal if I miss a dose and it involves being very sleepy, vivid dreams and night sweats. It's not fun, but it's worth feeling normal again."

Alezie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Please DO NOT take this!!!! I have taking it for 7 years it never really worked I don't know why I kept taking it, When I was diagnose with mood disorder they put me on new meds and took me off cymbalta. They did wean me off BUT I WAS AWFUL THE WITHDRAWALS WERE AND STILL ARE 3 WEEKS LATER SO BAD!!! THE BRAIN ZAPS ARE THE WORST AND THEN THERE IS SWEATING SHAKING NAUSEA PLEASE DON'T EVEN START IT EVEN IF IT MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD"

Pamipoo414 February 26, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I'm 10 days into my treatment, the hospital started me on 30mg then told me to increase the dose to 60mg after 7 days. So far, so good. I have to say that I'm getting on well with the drug but I'm experiencing some insomnia and so take Valium for that (around 10mg). I hope that as time goes on and my dose of cymbalta increases that this drug continues to work and and I feel even more of its benefits as I want to start reducing the Valium at some point in the future. I'm in the UK and so do not pay for this drug and as my Doctor has certified me as being unfit for work, I don't have to pay for any medication at all."

Nick_C_1983 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I just started taking"

Bebs January 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on 30 mg for GAD and insomnia. After a month or so, I became so hyper and my insomnia went from only sleeping a few hours every day to having days of no sleep. Ativan, which had always helped me sleep, no longer worked. My thoughts were scattered, often terrifying so it was good they were brief I guess (it "cured" the anxiety, as I couldn't worry about something before the thought of it was just gone), I couldn't focus, became unable to work at all. I was weaned off about two weeks ago, still can't function at all. I am a bit better now than when on it, but far worse than I was before. I wish I never touch this stuff, I feel like I will never get my life back again, certainly never my career."

cutenickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta has made a huge difference. I was in constant pain and emotionally distraught 24/7. Now, taking 60mg a day I feel alive again. The only thing i dont like is my inability to deep sleep but i will take it over constant pain and distress any day."

Angel5279 December 23, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Was put on this after 5 days of no sleep with anxiety. It took week or two to kick in but has saved me. I am much more level and less anxious, no sleepless nights although I do take phenergan (antihistamine )to help with that"

Mattyjingle (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Out of the blue I started experiencing anxiety, I was nervous for no reason and having anxiety about anxiety! I tried change my diet and so on. Then I had the mother of all panic attacks (I'd never had one). I quickly realized that I needed to talk to my doctor. I tried zoloft and celexa, both gave me terrible side effects. I stuck with zoloft for 2 months and wasnt feeling any better so I went off discouraged. Then I started on cymbalta. Its been about 5 months with zero side effects. I realized a few days ago that the meds must be working, on a particularly stressful day I felt a panic attack coming on but it just didn't materialize into anything. Then I realized I really haven't been nervous for sometime. It can get better :) 40mg"

30yrs mother & wifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have GAD and mild depression. I initially had side effects such as insomnia, no appetite, and nausea but they went away after a few days. This has helped my anxiety tremendously! It is not without side effects though. If I forget to take it I will get nausea, headaches and dizziness. I did gain weight and some diarrhea but it has had no bad sexual side effects. I have been taking this for a year now. I am finding that the depression is now increasing so maybe time for a dosage change. Just keep in mind everyone is different and sometimes the benefits outweigh the effects."

ItWorksnow October 14, 2016