User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 140 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Loz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have anxiety, panic disorder, autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder. Overall I have had a very positive response to duloxetine. Side effects: There is the initial fatigue & a lot of yawning. That went away after about 3 weeks. I had difficulty peeing during the night. This faded over time. Difficulty to orgasm after I went up to 90mg, this faded after a few weeks. This medication makes my brain work better & gives me a better quality of life and an opportunity to live rather than just survive. If you identify with any of my symptoms & have been recommended duloxetine by your doctor, I say it is worth giving it a try. When it is the right medication for you it is life changing! And please don't rush to come off them. If you need them you need them and that's okay. They are your friend. I feel grateful that science has given me this opportunity to support me.”

Beth · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “One year Cymbalta honest review. I started Cymbalta about a year ago as I have struggled all my life with social anxiety and general anxiety. About a month before I started taking it, I started getting really bad anxiety attacks every day and had my first ever panic attack (Which prompted the doctor's visit for help).The first week was OK. I had no appetite and felt anxious all the time for no reason. Then, suddenly my whole mood changed and I became a lot more cheerful and talkative person. I actually wanted to do things, instead of stay at home. Note to everyone with bad reviews: this doesn't work overnight. It takes time for the chemicals in your brain to balance. I would say it takes 2 weeks to see some effects to take place, and at least a month or two to experience the full positive effects. But, it is so worth it! I highly recommend Cymbalta to those struggling with depressive thoughts or anxiety disorders! I have only had ONE anxiety attack since taking it, and no panic attacks”

Mr. Noshow · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Was hesitant to start the drug with all the horror stories but I guess that's with any drug that's not right for that individual. I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I suffer from GAD, fatigue, & was dealing with back & neck pain. Drug started to work pretty quick. Doc switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta when Zoloft stopped working after a year. I had some dizziness & felt off for a couple of weeks but nothing like Prozac. Started out at 30mg during the transition but jumped up to 60mg after 2 weeks when I stopped zoloft. The drugs has worked well so far. I can see a significant reduction in anxiety which has given me the energy to start exercising again. It's also put me in a good mood & reduced pain by 80%. On week 2 of 60mg so I hope it continues to improve.”

Boogle · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have only been on this medication for a week but I already notice a huge difference. I suffer from depression and anxiety as well as panic attacks. I noticed a difference the 3rd day. My mind isn’t racing 100 mph and I can concentrate. Anxiety is still there a little bit, but no panic attacks. I had some nausea and diarrhea but I’m not sure if that was from Cymbalta as a bug was going around. First few nights I had sleep issues, but those have passed. No sexual side effects thus far. I was on lexipro before and I hated it. Get like a zombie. This is altogether different. I know each drug is different for everyone, but so far cymbalta has done wonders for me”

Ippie · Taken for 10 years or more June 6, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been on Cymbalta since it got the market since 2000 it was a life saver for me I felt better the very first day ! I was up to 60 mg for about 10 or 11 years then my anxiety came back like it stopped working or my body got used to it tried to increase to 90 mg but just made me so tired. So we tried to switch to a multitude of medications nothing worked like Cymbalta so I went back on it. Coming off it was a complete nightmare and I am so much better on it than off. I’m just now trying to up my dose again to 60 mg after just being on 30 mg for the last 6 years. Before Cymbalta I wasn’t even able to drive a car without complete panic and hysteria I’ve suffered with this crippling disease since I was young this was the first medication to give my life back I don’t know what I would do without it honestly medications are different for everyone but for me it saved my life !!”

Happy Happy Happy · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Wow. Cymbalta changed my LIFE! Prozac made me a zombie, as did Paxil, Xanax & Klonopin. I have depression & anxiety. Prozac seemed to have made my depression worse! But then...Cymbalta saved me. I'm so happy to be able to actually GET OUT of bed, not yell at the kids, etc. I experienced a mild euphoria at first, now, (it's been a week) I just feel happy and energetic! I really hope it keeps working!!”

rglanxiety February 21, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta was a miracle for me. I was paralyzed by anxiety and couldn't function in daily life and it made me feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I've tried tons of anxiety/depression meds; Xanax, Klonopin, Buspar, Ativan, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. and they all barely worked, just made me catatonic, or had really serious side effects (listlessness, decreased libido, etc.). Cymbalta made me feel like my true self minus anxiety, rather than a dulled version of myself. It actually increased my libido because I wasn't too depressed to have sex for the first time. I also lost weight while taking it, which wasn't desirable for me, but I know it is for some people. The only negatives I experienced were nausea and decreased appetite at first.”

Aussie mumma October 22, 2013

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)”

Lejsullivan · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have struggled for years with pain from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I could not have normal relationships with family or friends and became a recluse. The constant pain caused me to be deeply depressed and I often planned my suicide. I wrote a will because I knew I could not live this life anymore. I tried many antidepressants and took Dilaudid by the handfuls. I start taking Cymbalta 13 days ago. I no longer take dilaudid. I am planning on giving up gabapentin. My mood had gone a complete turn around. I am able to function. I am walking again, swimming. I am laughing and for the first time in 15 years I feel Hope!”

Mags August 19, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed Cymbalta for generalized anxiety disorder, and I was on it for about 10 months. I can’t say it really helped me with anxiety, and I finally decided to try to come off it because it was raising my heart rate. After trying to slowly taper for 2 to 3 weeks, the side effects were so extreme and so uncomfortable that I decided to stop taking the medication altogether in an attempt to rid it from my body as quickly as possible. I experienced every single one of the potential side effects of withdrawal. The worst side effects have been dizziness, vertigo, brain zaps, brain fog, nausea, and diarrhea. These side effects have been going on for three weeks and have been getting worse with no end in sight. I have no idea when or if the side effects of withdrawal will go away, but I can do nothing but lie in bed until they do. Please, please, please do not go on this medication. It should be banned.”

Jason · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Had a great 12 years with lexapro 10mg, it stopped working. For the last 3 years I’ve tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Vybridd, Trintellix and Cymbalta. With all of them I felt a floaty, sedated feeling all day long. Cymbalta is starting to work. I believe its the noreprephrine component of the drug that’s helping me stay more focused and energized during the day. I’m on 60 mg daily. Pyschs and GP’s alike don’t know the effects of withdrawal unless they’ve experienced it themselves. Not every patient’s cure comes out of a medical text book and docs need to understand that you’re not neurotic and these drugs effect your delicate brain chemistry. Rapidly tapering from one drug to another can be disastrous for some. My thoughts are with those going through this, trying to land on the right med.”

theuser · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Hi everyone, I have tried a loooong list of antidepressants, including older ones, newer ones and most of the meds in between. Cymbalta is the only one that has helped me. I have only taken it for about a week but I already feel the effects for my GAD and Panic Disorder. I am so thankful for this drug. Bless you all, don't be afraid to try meds and keep on fighting if you haven't found one that has worked for you yet. Hugs, The User”

Chelso · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 18, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have panic disorder, GAD, and intermittent depressive episodes. After trying numerous SSRI's (Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lexapro, etc.) my GP thought we should try an SNRI. I have had excellent results on this one called Cymbalta. No sexual side effects, no weight gain (in fact, some slight weight loss), no brain "zaps". I have been on 90mg per day, but my Psychiatrist just increased me to 120mg/day. I do have some fatigue but not sure if it's related to the med or not and I'd rather be a little tired than suffer constantly. This has been a lifesaver.”

a person · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 as well as anxiety, OCD, ADD, depression etc. I decided to start going down off my 900 mg of lithium due to the fact that I felt it was not helping much anymore. So my psych prescribed me 20 mg dose of Cymbalta to start to help with my severe anxiety. For the first month I noticed a small change in the way I felt. So we decided to go up to 30 mg. One week after starting the new dose, my life changed. I remember waking up one morning and just being happy. Everything seemed lighter and my anxiety as well as depression lifted. Unfortunately two months into that, my bipolar mania symptoms started coming back. So we are trying to figure out how to safely manage all symptoms. All in all, Cymbalta has made the biggest difference in my life.”

Anxietynomore · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I used to take 120mg of Sertrline. It made me gain 50lbs. So I stopped after 2 years. I tried going back on it after 9 months when my anxiety returned but it gave me worse anxiety!!! Now I'm on Cymbalta I love this medication. I'm on 60mg 4 weeks now. The first 2-3 weeks were rough but all side effects went away. Just stick with it my doc said to use .25 MG of Xanax initially to help get through the rough first weeks. Now I only take Cymbalta. It made me drowsy in the morning so I take it at 2 am when I get up anyway to go to the bathroom. This helps me go back to sleep and I have no problem getting up in the morning. Lastly I can stay up later then I used to and I get more done. Another side effect is less arthritis pain and no more bladder leaking. After 3 kids I dealt with bladder leaks and thought I had to have surgery and now it's going! Good luck finding what works for you.”

Rem1100 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “While the first 3 weeks were no fun at all I have since seen and felt an improvement in my anxiety and panic attacks. I am very sensitive to medication and other medicines would make me dizzy, upset my stomach and or make it impossible to stay awake. The Cymbalta only made me tired and caused me to lose weight the first three weeks. I am on my fourth month on 30's once a day. I take mine right after dinner as they tend to make me tired, but by morning I am good to go. I have since gained my weight back and I feel better than I have since my anxiety and panic attacks started 7 years ago. In 4 months I have not had any panic attacks and only feel the starting effects of anxiety and then it goes away.”

Danidondon June 17, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on cymbalta for a week now, 30mg 2xs a day, I have no side effects at all! From the first dose, I noticed a huge difference, it calmed me right down! Before this med, I was mad at everything, almost in a constant panic mode, not sleeping, and in a lot of pain. I have low back nerve pinching, and bulging, with degenerative disks, and fibromyalgia. I can't say enough good about this medicine, it has really changed my quality of life, my outlook. I feel like I did 20 years ago, before my anxiety took over my mind. My blood pressure is also back to normal. Being stressed at every little thing made mine go up. I love this medication, I wish I had gotten it a lot sooner, better late than never!!”

Danie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on the edge of taking my life again. I was on Lexapro for almost a year but it stopped working. I switched to so many different things, Paxil, ability , Prozac, nothing helped I was still not sleeping and had major depression and anxiety. Then I got on Cymbalta . My anxiety and stuff isn’t full gone but I’m so much better. I’m FINALLY sleeping through the entire night without anything !! Give this med a try and wait a few weeks the transition period is tough especially if your switching meds .”

Finn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Since there’s many reviews that seem to scare people about this drug (like some other antidepressants anyways) I’ll tell you my personal experience with it. First of all I’m a 22 year old male who suffers of general anxiety disorder with frequent panic attacks. I’m also emotionally dependent on my partner in my actual relationship and trying to take care of these problems with therapy plus the meds. I was on Celexa before and it didn’t seem to work anymore so my doctor switched for Cymbalta, after considering many options. The switch went smooth and easy with little to no side effects AT ALL. After a few months I still didn’t noticed nothing scary in particular. My libido stayed fine and I had no erectile problems either. I still got my regular anxious thoughts but my big panic attacks diminished. Verdict is Cymbalta seems to be a good med for me with no major side effects, nothing to be scared of.”

Finally calm mama · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'm a mom in my 40s and though my life should have been happy (great husband and kids) I was constantly worried, paranoid, combative, and quick to anger. It took months to convince myself to call a psychiatrist but finally I did. At first she put me on effexor but I hated it (brain zaps, teeth clenching, nausea, lethargy) I tried to hang in there but after 6 months I asked for something else. She gave me Cymbalta. WOW is all I can say. No real side effects and most importantly, I'm laughing and smiling again. I don't feel angry all the time anymore and for the first time in years I'm calm. I also suffer back pain and it is seriously lessened with Cymbalta. I pray my insurance continues to pay for it.”

ceejustine · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “My personal journey with Cymbalta so far is a positive one. Severe anxiety/depression has been present in my life for approximately four years and I've found that Cymbalta has immensely suppressed my anxious symptoms. Through my experience, Cymbalta took on its full effect about 3 weeks in. I am beginning to enjoy life again! I highly recommend this medication to others, especially if immense anxiety is a part of your life. I am most impressed with this medications ability to deplete anxiety! Good Luck! I hope the best for anyone struggling with these miserable conditions.”

Bells · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This is my first time taking cymbalta. Today was my day one. Let me say. I took it with food. And within two to three hours, I started experiencing severe nausea. Within another hour I became very jittery and it felt like my skin was humming with electricity. Fast forward an hour and I can only compare this feeling to doing a tab of acid minus the hallucinations.. Or what I assume people feel like doing speed because I bounced on a yoga ball for two hours while feeling very manic. Crazy. Edgy. Like I was pumped full of adrenaline and needed to jump out of my skin while laughing and humming. I kept twitching and kicking my legs. Do hand snaps and rubbing my hands up and down my jeans to the point where I have rubbed my palms raw. I took ONE pill. The ONLY upside, is that my sciatic pain is basically gone. Which is heaven. I'm about 9 hours in and I'm finally sitting down but I cant stop fidgeting or bring myself to eat anything despite my stomach gnawing at me. Will update in a week”

Livys April 6, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I lost my 16 year old daughter in a tragic car accident four months ago. They first had me on lexapro, then remeron, and neither did anything for me, except the remeron did make me suicidial. My Doc told me to try Cymbalta 30 mg. It was a life saver, literally. I was ready to kill myself, I had enough pain and didn't want to feel that daily pain of losing my daughter. My Doc just increased my Cymbalta to 60 mg, I'm very excited about this. I have not noticed it helping the panic or the anxiety, it def has helped my mind and my body constantly from hurting due to depression. This medicine truly saved my life. I'll never be me again, but this medicine has got me back to the closest old me. Thankful for Cymbalta!”

ray of sun · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 14, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I been on Cymbalta for 9 years this has been a miracle for me. It helps with anxiety, my chronic pain, my fibromyalgia, my bipolar now just find something to help with anger I'd be perfect. The only side effect I have had is nightmares if I forget to take it that's it. I love my medicine.”

Nicknamealreadyinuse · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I take Cymbalta for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and depression, something I've had on and off for 6 years (I am now 24). A lot of people are quick to write this drug off, and I admit the initial side effects can be tough like nausea and feeling so tired, but after taking 30mg for three weeks and increasing to 60, with the increase I noticed a quick change, my anxiety decreased rapidly, and instead of tiredness I began to experience an almost high feeling which sometimes makes me hyperactive, but surely that's better than anxiety and depression. I would recommend taking it, but give it a few weeks and take the proper 60ng dose before you judge it; it's really helped me, it's got me out of s really bad place.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder