User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy. 43% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Duloxetine

NJRICH September 20, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have had non-diabetic neuropathy pain for several years. The pain was very intense, causing loss of sleep and impact to normal activities. I had tried Elavil, Lyrica, Neurontin, Mobic, Zanaflex and many others. The cause of my pain is herniated discs so physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic treatments were also tried. A new pain doctor finally recommended Cymbalta and it was a miracle! After a week, there was a significant reduction and after 6 weeks, the reduction is truly outstanding. I have not encountered any side effects other than loss of appetite (a bonus!). I am taking 60mg daily and am grateful we tried this before attempting any invasive procedures. I strongly encourage anyone in my category to give this a try.”

rapt · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “At the age of 70, I can go back to interval training and my stomach has got flatter and my energy increased by 60% since taking Cymbalta. A true miracle. No pain at all whereas, I could barely walk six weeks ago.”

decochloe · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been taking Cymbalta for 3 weeks for Peripheral Neuropathy, a painful disease that hasn't responded to any other meds. It blocks the pain signals to the brain and works wonderfully. I have about an 80% reduction in pain and rarely need a pain med. It also helps my mood and reduces my appetite. No side effects. It's great! On another note:NEVER go off an antidepressant cold turkey! It can be a nightmare. Work with your doctor to taper off slowly & safely.”

Macman · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 20, 2020

“I have to warn you, for me duloxetine was an ineffective drug with severe side effects. What they won't tell you is how duloxetine/Cymbalta is highly addictive. I took it for a year. Once I went on a 3 day trip and forgot it. I was a nervous wreck. My Doctor added it to my Neuropathy cocktail. Only on the third attempt was I able to kick it. I wasn't a depressed person. I went through severe depression and thoughts of suicide while kicking this stuff. I believe it was unnecessarily engineered to be addictive.”

dimahu35 July 23, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have severe small nerve fiber disease. Besides taking Neurontin, I was prescribed Cymbalta. Cymbalta took away the burning pains I was having at night on my feet. I LOVE it. I no longer feel like someone put gas on my feet and set them on fire.”

bigboots April 16, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'm male, 52, and a diabetic on insulin. After developing severe peripheral neuropathy six years ago, I was prescribed Neurontin which did not work for me. After two weeks with no relief, I checked into the ER due to intense pain. I was prescribed Cymbalta by the ER doctor and have never looked back. Within a couple of days the pain was gone! My feet and lower legs felt great, and the ominous feeling of intensified pain in the evenings had vanished. As for side effects, I sometimes have difficulty sleeping, and sometimes I feel a bit wonky-headed. However, those are easy trade-offs to accept in return for the pain relief I feel. Cymbalta continues to be my miracle medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

“Dr. prescribed duloxetine for neuropathy. After taking just one pill, I had severe side effects for five days: Severe nausea and diarrhea, and also uncontrollable muscle movements in shoulder (dystonia) and stomach that lasted much longer.”

JMCorvette1963 July 19, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have severe nerve pains in my hands and feet. I am not diabetic, my doctor tried me on 60mg. By the 7th day I had my wife call the doctor and advise that I would like to discontinue use. I take a lot of different medication for different medical problems and can tolerate them well but this "Cymbalta" was different. It made me feel disconnected, my body was here and my mind was out there somewhere, like have tunnel vision. Did not like this medication. ”

Anonymous April 22, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was given this originally for fibromyalgia. It worked well for the pain, however it took a higher dosage to keep th pain away. The side effects became a problem, spacey, and fuzzy all day. I tried to stop taking it, yet the Doctor did not want me to stop. I stopped on my own cold turkey. Wow, 6 weeks to get it out of my system! Went to the hospital with withdraw symptoms bad. ”

EXWHYZEE October 28, 2016

“I'm a 74 year-old woman who has had peripheral neuropathy for about 7 years. None of the meds prescribed gave me any relief until I was started on Cymbalta. It seemed miraculous, as within a week or so I had almost no pain or burning in my legs and feet. I'm on 60 mg daily, along with oxycodone (7.5 mg twice daily). In the last couple of years the Cymbalta is far less effective than it was initially, and I would have even more pain if it weren't for the oxycodone. I asked my doctor about increasing the Cymbalta to 90 mg, but he says you don't get much more relief beyond the 60 mg dose. It's very disappointing to have the effectiveness decrease. Side effects are weight gain and sensitivity to heat and sweating.”

Dengay · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 23, 2017

“I am a 59 year old male with non-diabetic nerve pain due to several bad disks. I was prescribed Gabapentin, which worked very well, unfortunately after about 13 mo, I developed an allergy to it, so my Dr prescribed Cymbalta, 30 mg 2x/ day and it has worked quite well also. The only side effect I have experienced is a bit of tiredness and sleeping more than before, but I have always been a poor sleeper, so this has been a bonus! During my annual checkup last week, my doctor suggested I try to go off Cymbalta to see if the nerve pain has improved. I was told to cut my evening dose for a week, then begin taking one pill every other day for a week, and so on. At one pill every other day, my foot pain has returned I can't sleep my head is literally spinning!!”

Cheryl2017 July 8, 2017

“I got breast cancer mets in my bones (mainly spine) in 2010 and had chemo. I recently was diagnosed with chemo induced peripheral neuropathy CIPN. I'm on Lyrica 250mg/day, which helps a bit. They tried all the anti-epileptics and most of the amnitriptiline family and gave up. My psychologist suggested Duloxetine. I've been on it two months and I'm loving it! The lightning strikes have abated but I still have a little burning, etc and still drop everything I pick up, bit without this drug the pain was intolerable! It has even helped with my cancer pain. It has caused a bit of fogginess, occasional bouts of double vision and ringing in the ears - BUT that's nothing compared to the side effects I got from all the other concoctions. Love it.”

side effects, side effects · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2017

“Started Cymbalta, but also started gabapentin at the same time. Not sure which drug has caused some relief with the intense cold and pain feeling in my feet. It seems most folks are having problems with hot feelings along with pain in their feet. My feet are freezing. I'm 46 and my wife and I had a great sexual relationship. The Cymbalta has totally killed my libido and ability to get or maintain an erection. She's supportive, but I can't keep on with this diminished sex drive. I'm so tired of every med having such terrible side effects and it seems doc's just don't get it....”

Suspectfoulplayhere February 1, 2017

“I took duloxetine for 90 days. It helped reduce my pain enough that I could stop most opioids, but drug side effects were worse than the pain. I had dry mouth, then nausea which went on every day until about a month after I stopped it. I woke up in a panic sometimes, after horrible nightmares which I hadn't had before. I began teeth grinding, chipped many teeth, and was advised to have a mouth guard made. My headaches worsened markedly. My blood pressure rose substantially. I itched, sweated, and passed gas horribly. I had difficulty passing urine. My doctor had no idea how to help me; all I would be told was to "drink ginger tea". Stopping it was hellish, with shaking, wide blood pressure swings, and painful brain zaps.”

Uji · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2013

“I am on 60mg duloxetine twice a day. This has definitely helped me but not completely. I still have to take at least one oxycodone. I haven't experienced any side effects, except a little depression at the pharmacy checkout counter. Ha ha.”

mrs. mcd December 21, 2015

“My right arm & hand were in horrific pain, nothing gave me relief. I suffered for 3 weeks and lost a lot of sleep while waiting to see a neurologist. Doctor prescribed Cymbalta for peripheral neuropathy and within days the pain began to subside, after 2 weeks I'm just about pain free. It was making me feel groggy at work so I just altered the time I take it, from morning to evening and it worked out well.”

Anonymous January 25, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “My neurologist recommended this for my peripheral neuropathy. I took it (60 mg) only once because it made me nauseated, dizzy, shaky, and sleepy. I could not keep my eyes open. I realize that this might get better if I keep taking it, but I have to work and there is no way I can do that with these side effects. It did work, however. Just this one dose made the pain much more bearable for two days.”

Boomer11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2018

“I was taking 3200mg of gabapentin daily, but still would have spells of neuropathy in my toes. The doctor suggested I add cymbalta 30mg for a week, then up it to 60mg. I took it for 6-8 weeks and the spells of neuropathy remained. I also had explosive diarrhea on cymbalta. Anti-diahrrhea medication didn't even help. I dropped back to 30mg for 3 days, then totally stopped. My diarrhea has stopped and I have decided to just live with the periodic spells of neuropathy in my toes. I may increase to 3600 mg of gabapentin to see if that helps. Cymbalta was a waste of time!”

Anonymous July 13, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'd give Cymbalta a ten, if it didn't stop working. 60 mg killed all my pain. Then after 3 months approximately it all came back. My doctor just upped me to 90 mg and I get by on Percocet which works, but not as well as Cymbalta initially did. We'll see what happens. ”

Will · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

“Side effects of duloxetine for me was severe sweating and also a prostrate problem, but it did work very well on my neuropathy and it also works very well with depression. I was on it for about five weeks. I got off of it because I didn’t like the side effects and now I’m thinking about going back on it”

Anonymous February 17, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “It worked great, pain was totally gone. But the side effects were awful; couldn't sleep (for days), sweating lots (just sitting still in the air conditioning), bowel movements were so dry it was like passing glass. ETC, ETC.”

WillyBee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2016

“71 year old male. Started on 30 mg. Works well in terms of reducing numbness and cramping from peripheral neuropathy. Side effects - slight constipation and slight reduction in energy level. Also possible reduction is sexual performance. Again, side effects seem to be slight so far compared to benefits..”

Jay November 24, 2020

“I took duloxetine in conjunction with gabapentin for my neuropathy but didn't work, not relief at all, with the time this medication was cause more harm than benefits, started to get dizzy, confuse and depressed,I decided to stopped it and start natural treatment”

Massgardener · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2017

“Started taking this drug about three weeks ago because of the neuropathy in my feet and legs. I already take three different antidepressants for bipolar II I found that this did lift my mood a little bit more but I haven't seen much improvement in the neuropathy. I am taking 60 mg once a day. Major side effects I am struggling with are hot flashes and disrupted sleep at night. Has has anyone else had the side effects and did they go away?”

Bobknob May 16, 2017

“Duloxetine at 40mg did nothing for my neuropathic pain but on increasing the dose to 60mg I did get some relief. Unfortunately as one of the previous reviewers suggested I had problems urinating so yes it probably does help with incontinence.”