User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "After my first dose of the generic version of Cymbalta yesterday evening for major anxiety and minor depression. I was surprised to feel a difference within a few hours. My mood lifted and I had more energy. I still felt slightly anxious. Initial side effects: quite bad insomnia, slight jitteriness, slight diarrhea, very slight confusion at times and nausea for the first 12 hours after taking it. After 2 weeks, I now have zero side effects and have changed to taking it in the mornings. It is a miracle drug for my depression! The constant dark feeling of sadness has lifted completely. It has also helped my anxiety quite a lot, however I still have periods of anxiousness. I am definitely going to stay on this medication as it has drastically improved the quality of my life."

stillholdingon (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication helped me so much! I battled severe depression in high school due to chronic illness and about a year and a half later developed a severe anxiety disorder. I started off on other meds (i.e. Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) with little help. I've been taking duloxetine now for ten years and it makes a world of difference for me! Every medication reacts VERY differently in each individual and its a process of trial and error, but I'm very thankful for this medication. Are there side effects? Sure, like with any medication. My worst ones are always being hot and dry mouth (comes and goes). I've found ways to deal with those though and it doesn't take away the fact that my anxiety is helped tremendously and my depression nearly disappeared. I will battle anxiety for my whole life, I'm sure, so please don't think any drug is a magic, cure-all pill! BUT I can conscientiously recognize an anxiety attack and use my coping skills, whereas before, I felt completely out of control."

Luvpaws1990 April 5, 2018

"This is for Sciencebitch: I'm going thru the same problems with generic brands switching since I was doing FINE on Teva. Have u found a generic thats as good as Teva?"

Jennjak (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Horrific drug that should be banned, the withdrawal was insane, even for the short time I was on it, thankfully I met thousands of others in a FB support group now with almost 15000 members on how to get off this poison safely and properly, via opening capsules and bead counting ( yes it's that bad to get off of) and a extremely slow taper..."

Tony (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I'm 46 and over all generally healthy. I have suffered with anxiety and PMDD for about 6 years. After trying many SSRI medications and taking a low dose of Xanax on a regular basis, Cymbalta has totally changed my life for the better. The mild side effects are far better than what I use to go through. I went from 20mg to 30mg and this works for me."

Lynn March 3, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "My husband had Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) 2 years ago and 2 months after he developed severe anxiety. At first he was given Ativan to help him. He was then given Celexa and it sent him for a loop--SEVERE anxiety, so that didn't work. He decided he would just use Ativan during the day and Xanax to help him sleep. I finally convinced him that he needs a long term treatment. He is almost through his second week of Cymbalta. It is making him very tired, almost exhaustion and he feels like he is in a fog. He is still having his spells, but I don't think they are as severe. I keep encouraging him to give it more time. I hope this works, I want my outgoing, funny, and energetic husband back."

Grandma T (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had substance abuse 7 years ago and suddenly developed anxiety disorder. I was put on many meds then on cymbalta 60mg and within 3 months everything was back to normal and my doc weaned me of another 3 months. I lived the best years of my life from 2012 traveling working got married have a daughter everything with 0 anxiety until last month. I started feeling like am losing my mind along with intense fear and then I realised my anxiety came back Same doc put me back on 30mg of cymbalta in the morning along with 2.5mg zyprexa at night for 1 month 10 days into the treatment felt normal again I couldn't be much happier went back to the old me BUT unfortunately the last 3 days anxiety came back very high. I talked to my doc today and he told me to keep the dosages like they are and to wait a little...so is it possible that the drug stopped working or its just my body is readjusting?? Did anyone have similar experience where the medication worked the first 10 days and then anxiety came back?"

Mcmo11 February 26, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on Cymbalta for just less than a month. It has been a life saver for me. I have C-PTSD, brain trauma, anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I've taken more meds than I can even remember. Cymbalta us working great and no side effects. I can go out in public now without anxiety attacks and I'm not sitting on the couch afraid to move. Good med for me. I take other meds also and was taken off of Klonopin. I know have more energy and happiness."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta worked great for me and I'm blessed that it did. I had read many reviews of those unable to take it for various reasons and that scared me but my Dr. suggested I try it and I'm so glad I did. For 16 months I had zero anxiety and I went through hell for part of that time. Things were going so well I decided to get off of it because taking it had negatively impacted my BP. I went from 60mg to 30mg for 30 days and then started 20mg. During the time I was on 20mg I had my first anxiety attack in 16 months! I'm back on 60mg and hoping once a few weeks pass of being back on maintenance dose that the anxiety will go away again! Wish I had never tried to get off of it!"

Hoopita (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Didnt do much for OCD, Social Phobia, and other anxiety issues."

yearsofocd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "horrible made me so sick and weight gain of over 30kgs. caused nausea and migraines. Would give a 0 if I could almost ruined my life and made it almost impossible to work and enjoy life"

Aliceeee January 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was not a medication for me. Instead of helping me, it made me mean. I took it for a few days but that's all the time I needed to see the horrible side effects."

Clubqueen (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have severe anxiety and this drug made me depressed to the point of hurting myself and thinking about suicide. I’m not a depressed person, I’m usually a happy go lucky person. Everybody reacts different but that was the worst 3 weeks ever."

Anxiety20 December 11, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I really love this one. Suuuper effective in so many ways. In particular, helped me get my depression and anxiety under control. It is included in my “concoction” of medicines, and just recently I tried cutting it out of the equation. -Ever since stopping it, I am back to crying regularly. Very sensitive and unable to control my emotions. I had trouble DRIVING because I was so overwhelmed with anxiety and terrified of getting into a car accident. Irritable, angry, sleeping 12 hours again. Depression is a bitch. I highly recommend giving this one a shot. *BEWARE* This drug makes you unable to sexually climax. (Which is why I’m seeking an alternative)"

Gabrielllllllaaaaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Within two days of starting Cymbalta, I had 'flashing lights' in my peripherals (which didn't go away for two years) and nausea. Not that big of a deal. But on day three, I was hit by an insane attack on what I assume was my central nervous system. I felt like my chest was in an ice bath, my internal temp dropped several degrees, my groin felt like it was on fire (burning/cramping), I started shaking and sweating and went into full blown panic. After taking a week off, I tried the drug again. Same thing. Absolutely awful. My doctors/pharms had never heard of these side effects, which were worse than my symptoms (anxiety-related feeling of throat/tongue swelling). I switched to Effexor (SNRI), which finally worked."

ahtnamas November 23, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was prescribed this to help with my severe anxiety and in hopes it would also help my chronic pain. I think I'm allergic to it because in 2 hours of taking it I got a stabbing pain in my head and the light made my eyes burn. I could barely even say this to a doctor because along with barely being able to string two words together I had intense nausea with cramping and it wasn't until the ER had the lights around me dimmed enough for me to try and open my eyes I realized my face was pretty swollen."

RookSun (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've suffered from anxiety and depression off and on for most of my life. I've tried many antidepressants (mostly SSRI's) without success. The side effects of these drugs were unbearable (mainly acute insomnia and panic attacks). Finally, after 30 years of intermittent mental suffering, despite running 30 miles a week and seeing a therapist on a regular basis, my primary care physician prescribed Cymbalta. It is a miracle drug. Although I've only been on it for 3 weeks, I'm already feeling relief from a major depression that started 6 months ago. I no longer have suicidal thoughts; negative, obsessive thinking; panic attacks; and I sleep like a rock. the world is so much brighter - I feel a sense of calm, contentment, and happiness."

Jane Cahill (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I tried to go about my life without being on an antidepressant, but life didn’t seem very liveable anymore. I tried Lexapro, and though it stopped the heart pounding and shortness of breath, I was still very depressed and always exhausted. I also went from 130 to 150 pounds in about 2 months. I switched to Cymbalta and everything changed, I have never been happier. I wake up full of energy, which is something I have never had. I have also lost the weight I gained! Like others have said, everyone is different and medications will affect you differently. I was surprised to hear my friend had a bad experience with it. I very much recommend at least trying because it has helped me so much!"

Ame19 November 5, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "All I can say is try it and don't take all reviews at face value - not everyone has brain zaps and puts on a ton of weight because everyone is different. All I know is I suffered from major anxiety and depression (tried to get by without meds for some time). I had fluoxetine and citalopram - the first only helped with depression and the second gave me heart palps. Now on cymbalta I am feeling normal and wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. The first week was a bit crazy, felt like on a bad trip. Then felt great for a week, then low again for two and now I am fine (Taken them for about 8 weeks now). I also have the motivation now to lose weight which I have done so I am fairly optimistic. 8 stars because haven't taken it long term yet."

Beaudy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've taken Cymbalta for almost a year for depression and anxiety. I'm also taking Buspar. My anxiety and depression are noticeably improved. I have tried many of the SSRI's without any help, but this SNRI is great. I take 40mg/day. I've been as high as 60mg/day but found no help at the higher dosage. The only side effect might be a bit of drowsiness. I tried to reduce my dosage quickly and found this is not a drug one wants to 'cold-turkey' to get off the drug. The benefits far exceed any bad side effects."

Zfrost October 6, 2017

"This drug is ruining my life. I'm 58 years old and have been tormented by side affects and horrible thoughts. Don't care about anything. If I stop can't handle it. I have tried to get off for last couple of years and has caused my health to decline. I'm 94 pounds now and I just feel like a zombie. Can't even think. Sit for hours on end and can't move. Don't take this drug. It will ruin your life and change you to someone who doesn't care about anything. Don't take this drug."

Tina464 September 1, 2017

"Awful!!! Caused my anxiety to go into massive overdrive to the point my entire body was shivering. I did fall asleep at night because I was exhausted from being on edge all day. I put on 15 lbs since I started taking it 3 months ago. They are like speed pills which causes the excessive anxiety. So glad I'm off of them now. Definitely not for me! (Bipolar-PTSD-OCD-Anxiety) this medicine was added to my daily Lamictal 150mg"

NurseBetty88 August 17, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Works okay for me. I went on it because Cipralex (Lexapro) pooped out on me. Doesn't deaden my emotions as much as other drugs. Anxiety is pretty much non-existent now but my depression remains. No side effects. I put on a lot of weight on Cipralex and it hasn't come off while on Cymbalta, but it hasn't increased either. I haven't had any notable side effects. Oddly, I did have an irritated sciatic nerve when I started Cymbalta and while I wasn't put on it for that, it did kind of help that too."

Shsysuwhevduos (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Go figure, the only one that works is the most expensive lol.. I have had not one side effect it works wonderfully for me. I used clonazepam with it for awhile and finally decided to just do the Cymbalta. I helps me with my PTSD which was caused by a severe car accident so I love it as I no longer have to experiment with a hundred different types."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Was on 40 mg of Cymbalta for 6.5 months, and it gave me massive high blood pressure! Since my BP remained elevated for so long even with BP meds, I became too frightened to continue taking any Cymbalta while waiting to see my psychiatrist for a revision. I know you are supposed to taper off, but I stopped completely 5 days ago. For days 1-3, I had symptoms of withdrawal with increased sweating and what felt like the blood coursing through me was pulsating. Also, arms a bit shaky when using hands. Day 4, first day to go out and run errands. The blood coursing feeling changed to a sort of high, with increased food cravings for 24 hours. Day 5, blood coursing feeling has mostly subsided, as well as the hunger cravings. Feeling good today."

High BP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2017