User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 303 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 56% of those users who reviewed Duloxetine reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine

Xyz123 May 6, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been on Cymbalta for almost two weeks. The first few days were a little tough. My mind was racing a bit and I had tension in my throat and jaw. I was a bit more anxious those first couple of days but it got a little better and I feel SO much better. I’ve tired Zoloft which made my anxiety worse, then Citalipram which didn’t really do much of anything except make me restless and jittery but Cymbalta is finally the right one. I feel like a normal person for the first time in a long time. My piece of advice, I see a lot of people on here saying that they’ve felt miserable for 3-4 weeks, even a month +. That’s too long in my opinion, I was told if you’re still miserable 2 weeks in, tell your doctor and switch it up your meds.”

T · Taken for 10 years or more April 30, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Initially given for panic attacks due to an alcohol and drug addiction and the loss of a son. Continued to use cymbalta for 12 years going sometimes up to 60mg to120mg for periods of time whilst in addiction (advised by a GP). Whilst in sobriety around the 6 month mark I would slip into a massive depression.The 1st time it happened I picked up alcohol and drugs again cause I couldn't get help fast enough.The 2nd time I tried to get help before the depression set in and was ignored by my GP. Whilst in the deep depression, no motivation, no food, nothing but sleep 24hrs a day my GP sent me to a Psychiatrist who put me on Allegron to get off the Cymbalta. 2 weeks later I'm off the cymbalta and experiencing a lot of confusion, memory loss. Locking my keys in my car on a daily basis. Thoughts not connecting to what is coming out my mouth. Then I was put on a mood stabilizer (sodium valproate) due to the above symptoms. To be continued.....I am unable to put a rating to this product.I really have no idea”

SNRI · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I tried taking Cymbalta a few years ago and the treatment had lasted for a few weeks. What I experienced was weight gain, more obsessive thoughts, sexual dysfunction and erection difficulties. To me, the cost of taking Cymbalta outweighed its benefits. I am sharing this not because I want to discourage anyone with similar disorders like GAD or depression not to try it, but to emphasize a possibility of unbearable side effects for some people. This medication might work amazingly for some people, but please bear in mind that some SSRI/SNRI might fit our genetics and some don't. If one doesn't work for you, you could discuss it with your doctor and try another one until you find the most suitable one for you. This is science. I was well informed of the possible side effects and benefits of it, and I don't blame it. I'm even happy to see it works pretty well for some people!”

Boomer · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Don’t let the negative comments on here scare you. The truth is, Cymbalta works beautifully for some people and some people hate it. But that’s true with ANY antidepressant! Cymbalta saved me from extreme, constant anxiety and panic attacks. But I have tried other drugs-Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac,etc. Figured out I cannot take ANY SSRI. They cause my anxiety to go through the roof! Cymbalta is a SNRI. Works differently. I could not only tolerate it- it saved me. So, no- the medication shouldn’t be banned. It works wonders for some of us. If it didn’t work for you, accept it and try something else. But don’t scare other people away from trying something that could change their life in a positive way. They affect everyone differently, they all have side effects that differ for everyone and they are all difficult to quit taking.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta changed my life. I felt the change almost instantly. Freed me from lifelong depression, I feel as if I am reborn. Yes I do feel a lack of appetite but honestly that’s a plus for me. The other side effects I felt have all subsided now and it’s only been a week. I felt like a zombie for the first four days but now my energy is back and I am happy. Haven’t been happy for a very long time.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'm finally free from the grips of anxiety and depression. I just feel normal. First week of Cymbalta was rough. Didn't know if I could do it. Nausea. Couldn't stay awake. Diarrhea. I stuck with it. Week 2, symptoms started to fade. I'm on month 4, this is the best I've felt in so long! I'm not numb, I still get nervous, I'm still awkward, I'm still myself! But it doesn't control me! I'm in the moment now! I'm not faking It! The only side effect now that I currently have is occasional night sweats. Which I will take any day of the week over how I felt before! I've lost weight. I no longer have low blood sugar. I feel like my entire body makeup has been changed for the better! It's hard to explain. And I know some people may be skeptical. I'm 40 years old and this is the best I've felt in over 20 years.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've seen a lot of horror stories about Cymbalta but its been great for me. I started at 30mg's for a week then went up to 60mg's I've been on it for 5 months now and feel great. I had no side effects at all. Everybody reacts differently to meds”

JDMAM June 10, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Remember this, everyone is different. Find the right medicine for you. I went on Cymbalta 7 years ago after I had an autoimmune disease and suffered from depression & anxiety. It was great. I went off of it for 3.5 years. Now, married with two kids, my life was what I wanted, yet I was miserable--so much anxiety, mood swings, snapping at my husband and kids, no interest in fun activities. I couldn't stand myself. I decided to give Cymbalta a try again (generic version). Initial side effects lasted a week. SO tired, brain fog, no appetite, headache. By day 7, all gone. I can't believe how fast it's working for me. My anxiety is gone. I am calm and easy going. I feel like the best version of myself. I'm laughing with my kids and husband and don't overreact. I actually am looking forward to doing activities and I have been enjoying them. I have been more productive at work and oddly more organized. I've tried other medicine and it's shut me down like a zombie.”

PennyQuick · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Taking Cymbalta is like having someone turn off the switch that controls my anxiety. It’s hard for me to comprehend how I lived with constant anxiety for most of my life now that is controlled. I will say this is a medicine that you must commit to taking as prescribed. Missing doses will bring the anxiety back full force.”

StephOR · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had insomnia badly for the first couple of days, but taking it in the morning helped. I also experienced lack of appetite for the first couple of weeks and felt very energized. It faded, but same things when the dose was increased to 60mg. It was great for anxiety, even helped with things that I didn't know were from anxiety; however, I had no relief of back pain unfortunately. I currently have no side effects after 2 months.”

lilelizai · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

“After reading some of the duloxetine reviews on this website, I was terrified to begin taking it. I decided to take the bull by the horns and started it and let me tell you - it was no where as bad as some of these reviews stated. I had mild nausea and was a bit sleepy for the first few days but nothing that I couldn't handle. Those side effects have already started wearing off and I can already feel a difference. If you are debating whether or not to take it- I would say do it. The horror stories on here are not true to my experience.”

Australia · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I feel so lucky, this has gone beyond my expectations. I don’t ever want to be off it. Only side effect has been constipation but I feel so good I don’t care. Even if I forget to take the tablet I have NO SIDE EFFECTS! I was really hesitant to start this as the reviews didn’t seem so good but it truly is an individual experience.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I nearly died taking this drug I took one 30mg tablet and felt like someone had hit me in the back of the head after that I started getting brain zaps apparently that’s what they’re called by the Doctors in ICU It made me feel very sick and unwell but I thought it would wear off by 6 o’clock in the morning the next day I called an ambulance I was vomiting, shocking, cramping even though I hadn’t eaten or drunk anything except for water they took me straight into intensive care my sodium levels had plummeted and they put me straight in for a brain scan I was four days in intensive care. They said another half an hour and I would’ve had a massive stroke I was 49 at the time, The doctor said it had damaged my brain and they don’t know how long it will take to come good if ever I felt alright after about a week never take this drug you can die from it”

danimom80 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was quick to anger, severe mood swings would yell at my kids for the slightest things. I was ready to punch anybody that would make me mad and( it didn't take much!) I started with Cymbalta 30mg and I noticed a slight difference I was increased to 60 mg and I felt the change right away. I'm so calm and I'm back to being a happy mom. I take it at night because it would get me sleepy during the day if I take in the morning some of the side effects I've experienced have been dry mouth, lack of appetite, hot flashes, tiredness! I love this medicine it has changed my life. The relationship with my children is much much better too. I no longer have crying spells and I'm a much nicer person. Try Cymbalta.”

Chloe · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “NOTHING matters about this drug except the fact that withdrawal is horrific if you ever need to come off it. Don’t start! I am now in my 13th month coming off this drug. It has been the worst thing ever. I am now counting beads in capsules and reducing slowly; am down to 10 mg. Five more months and I hope to get my life back. This drug should be used only as a last resort when all else has failed. Would give it a zero if I could.”

Amos · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta changed my life. I was going through the worst life experience I could imagine. Thoughts of suicide dominated my life and panic attacks were often. Then I started taking Cymbalta and everything changed. I started having the ability to see a hopeful future and my panic attacks disappeared. The days I forget to take it look grey until I take it and hope returns. I'm too fearful to exist drug-free in my later years. I've never experienced any side effects, just positive ones. I wish I had started taking something like this when I was young. To me, it's a miracle drug.”

Jaciakky · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug Cymbalta certainly helped turn my life around. Starting on 30mg I moved up to 60mg after a week and stayed on that for a year or so. It completely cured my anxiety and helped me sleep. Side effects were -difficult to hold on to pee, constipation and tiredness. Also bad night sweats. This dose was great for my anxiety but it didn’t keep the migraines at bay so I was still getting flare ups about 3 times a week so was upped to 90mg but within 3 months I was back to 2/3 migraines a week. So up again to 120mg. On this dose I had no emotion; I couldn’t cry or feel sadness or happiness. I just felt numb and weary. But no migraines! The side effects are too much so I’m back down to 90mg. Migraine is just under the surface and breaks through 1/2 times weekly. The plan is to reduce Duloxetine so my anxiety is under control and then add in another med to deal with the migraine. I would recommend this drug for anxiety but not quite so good for migraine so it was a compromise.”

Regina July 29, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg daily for almost two weeks for anxiety and depression. I have taken the medicine two times before with no side effects. This time however, my first week side effects are were diarrhea, nausea, unable to eat much, worse anxiety and hot flushes in my chest causing a bad panic attack. New thing for me. Never had this hot sensation in my chest before. Second week felt a little better for two days then boom hot flushes again throwing me into another panic attack. This one milder than previous week. I’m so confused. Not sure whether to keep taking or not. Scary stuff when I get these hot flushing sensations across my chest and heart rate goes up.”

Danbridge1988 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 19, 2021

“Why do people on here say a negative symptom after day 1. Any drug has to get in your system will not work instantly. The brain is 1 of the main and strongest organ in your body. And the medication to try and settle them chemicals and balance them out will take time. Some people with these don't give this medication a chance to work and their comments may stop someone from taking them or getting help on any anti depressant.”

Missy · Taken for 10 years or more March 17, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta worked to saved my life after perimenopause made my already existent depression increase tenfold. My depression was so dark I felt like I was being held down in a dark abyss. If I didn't seek medical help, I honestly believe I would have taken my own life. 60mg of Cymbalta daily and I could get out of bed, live my life, and function as a loving single parent who could provide for her family. Now, ten years later I will discuss the increasing anxiety I am feeling. Will my Cymbalta dosage increase. I don't know. But I do know for those 10 years I was not just surviving I was living. Thanks to Cymbalta”

Kip March 20, 2020

“I was suffering from severe anxiety due to a rare drug reaction to an antibiotic. I had never had anxiety before, and I was 65. I lost 43pounds in 6 weeks, ( I had to force myself to eat) and this condition lasted for about a year. I tried Zoloft and it made things worse. I was prescribed duloxetine, but kept the bottle on my bedside table for a month. I was afraid to take it after reading many bad reviews. Finally I took the plunge and took my first 30 mg pill. I was feeling better within 5 hours. I had insomnia for about a week ( I already had that from the anxiety) but that disappeared. After a week my anxiety completely disappeared. It has been about a year, and no anxiety at all, despite the present corona virus crisis- normal worries of course, but nothing unusual. I am sleeping well, and I am happy. This drug saved my life for sure. I know my reaction to this drug is unusually positive. Most don't have such immediate positive results, and some have bad ones, but I was lucky.”

Heywood · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Took my first Cymbalta yesterday. About 2 hours after taking it, I felt like I had no energy. About 2 hours after that, I was running to the bathroom. That night, I went to sleep fine, but woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep. I got out of bed at 530am, grabbed a cup of coffee and within 3 minutes, I was having heat flashes followed by freezing flashes, felt like I was going to get sick, and had zero energy. Went to the doctor at 8:45 and was having a reaction to the drug and broke out in a cold sweat in the office. It is now 5pm, and I still feel like I was run over by a train, no energy, stomach is still iffy, and my head has pins and needles.”

Addydawn · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am taking Cymbalta 30 mg for a week, now. My primary care physician gave it to me for bilateral hip pain when I sleep. It has been helping. More so, however, it has decreased my anxiety. Amazingly so! I feel calmer and I haven’t been grinding my teeth, which I do all the time from anxiety. It’s working for me. I think the 30 mg dose is plenty.”

SJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had tried a lot of drugs for my horrible anxiety and depression. I've been taking 80mg of Cymbalta. Nothing before this touched my anxiety and I was housebound for 10 years. The positives are my anxiety has gone from a 10 down to at least a 6/5 depression from a 10 down to a 7/6. I can orgasm - on other meds can cause issues The negatives - The withdrawal is REAL (try not to miss a dose), constipation, my body metabolizes this medication fast. I have to take an extra 20 mg dose in the morning. When I was just on the 60 in the evening I'd get bad brain zaps/dizziness. The biggest downside to this med is getting off of it. If you need to come off it taper as slow as you can and ask to go on Prozac which can really help with withdrawal. I recommend giving this med a try for anxiety. It's the only thing to help me. If you have depression alone I'd try something else first like Prozac or Wellbutrin as they are really easy to come off if they don't work for you.”

Jenna March 6, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was taking this medication for a mix of reasons; Anxiety, Depression and Chronic Pain. It worked better then any other meds I tried for Anxiety and Depression (I tried a lot). However, it stopped working after a couple years of taking the maximum dose so I'm trying others. The withdrawal I had coming off of them was horrible, I never had withdrawal from anything like that in my life. If I didn't have the withdrawal like I did, I would go back on them in a second. They were the only antidepressants that have actually worked for my anxiety, I wake up with severe anxiety almost everyday since 2013 and Cymbalta was the one medication that made my anxiety tolerable. I accidentally forgot to take it one morning and with it not being in my system for less then 12 hours, I felt so sick and came to realize that I was going through withdrawal. Anyways I hope this helps someone.”

XYY DD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Changed my life. I had been experiencing slight bouts of anxiety starting at around age 19. Hitting me hard, randomly of course, only a few times a year. Then when I was 24 something changed with my anxiety and I became completely crippled by it. I was being consumed by constant anxiety, worry, fear, etc every single minute of everyday including when I slept. I was out of control emotionally and mentally. I had to take a box of tissues with me everywhere because the anxiety was so severe I would burst out into tears even during the "happiest" of times. Finally after suffering for months I decided to give Cymbalta a try, reluctantly though. After a week of relatively mild side effects it had changed my life and saved my life.”

Office Executive · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This medication was a life saver for me as it helped me to overcome anxiety at work and allowed me to regain my focus. This also helped a lot with my irritable bowel syndrome issues! Only downfall was the first few weeks where I lost a lot of weight due to having no desire to eat and I had to switch to taking it at night because when I took it in the morning it made me dizzy and tired all day. I am taking 30mg once a day and have been on this for about 8 months. Hang in there if you just started the medication because it takes about a month to really kick in.”