User Reviews for Duloxetine systemic

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been doing 30mg of cymbalta for the past four years and it was working so we'll.. recently I have had increased stress which is not helping my anxiety. I am starting 60g dosage tonight. I think my body has just gotten tolerant of the 30mg and I need in increase."

Muffin (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've had GAD pretty much all my life but developed increasing depression and withdrawal from social activities. Finally I bit the bullet and told my doctor. He started me on duloxetine, 30 mg with the warnings about weight gain and sexual dysfunction and commented we could increase to 60 mg in three or four weeks if needed. Never needed the increase - 30mg is perfect. I have gained 4 or 5 pounds. I did notice the sexual dysfunction (loss of interest and difficulty "finishing" at first so I would hold my meds a day or two before bath and treat night which worked fine. Pretty much back to normal in that regard. The best thing is I can get more than one or two errands completed now. I call my pills "do lots of things" now!"

Pursuit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2019

"I took my first dose last night and I woke up freaking out in a panic attack, dizzy, ears ringing, dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea. It was terrible! I will not be continuing this medication."

Hello123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

"Duloxetine/cymbalta- I used this for about 8 years. It was to help me with my anxiety, depression and racing thoughts- I have to say, it worked amazing, but if I missed even a day I could feel the effects. It helped me so much that I eventually wanted to get off of it. I weaned myself off of this slowly. And had a great outcome. I've read so many posts about how awful getting off this drug can be so I was super scared to even attempt it.. but I knew I didn’t want to depend on it forever. I never got sick or had horrible withdrawals. I want everyone to know that even though some people had a bad experience with it, Not all of us did! It worked great for me while I needed it and when I was done and didn’t want it anymore I got off it just fine!"

MoniP January 12, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Don’t let the negative comments on here scare you. The truth is, Cymbalta works beautifully for some people and some people hate it. But that’s true with ANY antidepressant! Cymbalta saved me from extreme, constant anxiety and panic attacks. But I have tried other drugs-Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac,etc. Figured out I cannot take ANY SSRI. They cause my anxiety to go through the roof! Cymbalta is a SNRI. Works differently. I could not only tolerate it- it saved me. So, no- the medication shouldn’t be banned. It works wonders for some of us. If it didn’t work for you, accept it and try something else. But don’t scare other people away from trying something that could change their life in a positive way. They affect everyone differently, they all have side effects that differ for everyone and they are all difficult to quit taking."

Boomer (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2019

"I have taken the drug Duloxetine for about 12 days. I do feel much better as far as the depression and anxiety. However, I am having bouts of diarrhea from about day 4 to the present. I do take other drugs which may cause the discomfort. The best part is that I don't have an overwhelming desire to eat. So I believe I have lost some weight with Duloxetine. Some other good news with the Duloxetine is that I am sleeping better and feeling much calmer. I hope this drug will work for me."

anitathom57 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've be on this medication for almost 12mths now (60mg) previously being on lexapro. I have had weight gain, but really can't blame this all on the meds. My symptoms of anxiety depression and OCD are very much under control and I didn't experience any serious side effects, only the occasional dizziness and some fatigue. I found duloxetine more effective than lexapro for me."

7rudy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "One 30 MG dose caused me to have a panic attack. I reported the side effects to my doctor. Discontinued use. Scary, horrible feeling."

PL (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

"Was only on this for a short time. The initial side effects were the worst. Extreme nausea, random bursts of anxiety (more unpredictable than usual), random suicidal thoughts, and very dopey and out of it. Later after the initial side effects faded I was more focused and interested in caring for myself so that was good, but I was far more prone to manic episodes from my depression (especially when socializing), and also saw an increase of symptoms of my Autism. After an average fight with my dad I had an extreme reaction to the stress (far worse than it should have been) including numbness of extremeties, hyperventilating, and a lot of panic. Called my doctor that night and told her I needed to wean off immediately as if I hadn't taken a Ativan I don't know what would have happened."

FrenchToastBabey (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2018

"One word... WITHDRAWAL!! This has been said elsewhere, but having taken Duloxetine for only 3 months (to find it was still giving me very bad runs, headaches, brain fog etc) I took 10 weeks to come off. As soon as I hit zero all hell broke loose. Anxiety like I never knew existed, seizures (and 4 trips to the ER), along with period of suicidal depression and the usual (nausea, fog etc). I have been off them for 3 weeks and still not better. Any surprise that hundreds of people got a payout for what wasn't known about the side effects? Eli Lilly - you are complete and utter .."

Marcel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had a large but benign brain tumor removed a year and a half ago. After my recovery, I had depression and anxiety which I had never really had before. After dealing with it over a year, I started generic Cymbalta 3 months ago. First 2 months 30 mg a day. Some initial insomnia, 1 day of upset stomach, loss of appetite (lost 8 lbs) for about 3 weeks. Helped immediately with depression, anxiety issues took about 5 weeks. After 2 months, Dr put me on 60 mg a day which I've taken for 4 weeks now. Anxiety is so much better, feel it coming on now and then but it doesn't last. I've put the weight back on but nothing extra. Sleeping 6-7 hours a night, about average for me. This drug overall has really helped me, I take nothing else with it. I'm sorry to hear it effects some people so negatively, but please try to stay on this until your body can get used to the side effects. This drug has greatly improved my life."

g0ldon November 16, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta worked amazingly for me for GAD & depression a few years ago, & helped with chronic pain from herniated discs & headaches after bad auto accident. Unfortunately bad side effects such as loss of sexual interest & chronic abdominal pain & constipation forced me to stop taking it & got back on Zoloft for past couple years. Losing my mom to cancer has devastated me to point of desperation for help to survive the darkest days of my life. Praying for strength & peace from these oppressive spirits & terrible panic attaches, plus battling horrific chronic pain. Dr put me back on Cymbalta 60mg so I’ve been taking 30mg for a week now & this time around I’ve been having more abdominal pains & high blood pressure, hopefully this is just temporary bc overall Cymbalta worked better than any other antidepressant for anxiety, pain & depression so I’m going to keep taking it a few more weeks & slowly increase dosage. Take care & God bless all."

KandyAnn (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta changed my life. I was going through the worst life experience I could imagine. Thoughts of suicide dominated my life and panic attacks were often. Then I started taking Cymbalta and everything changed. I started having the ability to see a hopeful future and my panic attacks disappeared. The days I forget to take it look grey until I take it and hope returns. I'm too fearful to exist drug-free in my later years. I've never experienced any side effects, just positive ones. I wish I had started taking something like this when I was young. To me, it's a miracle drug."

Amos (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Terrible drug. Don’t start. Your body becomes addicted to it. The withdrawal symptoms when coming off are horrific"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2018

"Duloxetine did not help me with anxiety. I have a lot of energy in the first place and this drug gave me an even higher level of energy. I constantly felt like I was in fight or flight mode even before bed. I felt like I felt some of the soothing effects of serotonin but the norepinephrine was too much for me to handle."

Bmwdude18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This stuff made me want get suicidal thoughts and other dark thoughts. The side effects of this medication resulted in me being misdiagnosed as major depressive disorder and Bipolar 1. My doctor wouldn’t listen to me about the side effects and continued prescribing other medications to help with my new diagnosis. I was prescribed a total of 10 medications within 4 months because of the side effects of this medication!!"

I HATE Cymbalta! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2018

"It's likely too premature to rate the efficacy and intended result of Duloxotine on day 8 of medicating. But... I believe up to this point, my anxiety and possible depression we're far easier to deal with than the current feelings of OMG moments and almost total disconnection/ disassociation from outside human interaction. The nausea and lack of mental clarity isn't very pleasant either. Nor is the worsening insomnia or fatigue. The lack of appetite isn't so bad. I was very apprehensive to take this medication but reluctantly agreed out of desperation to feel better. My mood though has improved and am less over reactive to real life problems. But Hopefully the panic OMG feelings while at rest will subside soon or I want off. Anyone relate to the panic OMG feelings from this medication? Best wishes to everyone here for good health."

Hopefully (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on citalopram 40mg for years and it had stopped working. Had to reduce my citalopram before going on to duloxetine/cymbalta 30mg. The Citalopram withdrawal was 20mg a day for 2 weeks then 20mg every second day then 2 days of nothing then start taking 30mg duloxetine every night. I have been on it now for 2 weeks and have noticed a little difference because it can take a few weeks for full effect to kick in. Withdrawal symptoms from citalopram were not nice at all. Maybe the reduction was too quick. I ended up in hospital for few days which did me good. I have been out of hospital for week but been on duloxetine 30mg for about 2 weeks so I know I have to wait a bit longer for full effect to take place. I still get a bit anxious etc but things are slightly improving. I hope in another couple weeks I will notice even more of a difference. I live in Australia and government covers most of the price so I only pay about $7 a packet"

linda5211 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had pain throughout my entire body I felt like I was dying. My moods were at an all time low for months. No ambition just wanted to sleep and give up on life at age 45. I had been on other medicines for several years they worked ok but I still had issues. I just tried to cope with them until it became too much. I am on day 2 of Cymbalta 60mg and I can already feels the difference. I wake up feeling alive and I’m not hurting all over my body. My mentality is about 80% better already. Thank goodness this worked!! I hope it helps others as much as it has helped me!"

Jaye September 6, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Been taking for 10 days. First day upset stomach. Took for 2 days at night, but was having insomnia getting 3-5 hours sleep. Switched to mornings and started getting 6-7 hours sleep after 1 week. Noticed big improvement with slight depression within first few days (I was easily emotional several times a day). Anxiety is not gone but seems to be getting better already. Little dry mouth and decreased appetite (lost 4 lbs) but seems to be getting better each day. The first few days can be a little rough but I'm seeing improvements and I suggest to people stay with it the side effects will improve."

Rocket (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "It seems to help with most days but I am still on a dosage increase. I started at 30mg then bumped to 60mg and now I am at 90mg. I still have bad days but I'm hoping these will lessen as I become accustomed to the 90mg dosage. Next to no side effects except that weird 1% side effect of INSANE bruises."

SquidFartz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was really hard to take at first. I felt very out of it the first day, the second and third day the nausea was unbearable, I had terrible stomach cramps but the worst was the insomnia (but I had that before I started taking cymbalta). I was advise to try to stick to it and not give up because the benefits were coming. After 6 days I was so happy that all the side effects disappeared, I'm sleeping on my own with out insomnia meds, I feel like myself again and the terrible panic and dispersonalisation I was having are gone. I know I still have some time to go until is in full effect. I'm only on my second week but I'm excited to know that is going to be even better. Yes! Side effects suck and you feel you can't take it! BUT I think about the quality of life I was having without it and I'm afraid because it was so bad I was thinking of doing "anything" to stop it. Cymbalta is giving me the opportunity to enjoy life again. If you are struggling with side effects just hang in there. It will get better."

Anonymous August 25, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Although this medication helped me tremendously with my anxiety I believe it should not be taken by people who already deal with suicidal thoughts. I took 30 mg for a month and was fine maybe a little sleepy, as soon as I was raised to 60mg my suicidal thoughts were back and consistent, I have since gone back down to 30 mg and it is still happening."

Haily (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication honestly changed my life. I thought I was fine while taking it, so I went off cold turkey. It was the worst experience of my life. I took my 2 pills after about 9 days off. After an estimated 3 hours, I felt like my normal, happy, non-anxiety self again. I don't recommend it to anyone though. I tried about 4 different medications before Cymbalta was the one that helped me. Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "About 8 years ago I was going through a major depression and anxiety and bipolar and OCD all wrapped in one. The psychiatrists I had been seeing tried using the old school drugs Zoloft etc. Nothing was helping so I checked myself into an inpatient program. Then the miracle happened. The in house Psychiatrist put me on CYMBALTA. He explained that it differed from the older medicines in that it affects two parts of the brain. I experienced very little side effects and within a couple weeks I was feeling like my old self. It truly is a miracle med in my opinion."

Comeback Kid (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2018