User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I take Cymbalta 10 days. First week was good, bud today I feel worse. I had something like panic attack...has someone the same experience? Will it get better?"

Bobulocka (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

"Started duloxetine for anxiety and panic attacks. Never helped with my off balance feeling, perhaps helped with panic somewhat. Started to slowly lower it after months of it and realizing it wasn't helping. I wouldn't recommend ever starting this medication simply because of the withdrawal. I didn't think it would be that bad. The floor moves under my feet, the floor drops out from under me, my heart gets electrocuted and sinks into the floor, my chest gets electrocuted and goes up into my head. My brain moves around. I get so dizzy I can barely walk. The anticipation of all of this when I walk causes extreme anxiety and panic. Would not recommend a drug with norepinephrine if you do not have depression. Try a SSRI."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This drug was absolutely amazing when it worked for me. I started to notice resolution of my severe anxiety symptoms within a week with little to no side effects. Before I used this medication I was living in a constant state of anxiety where I would feel off balance most of the day and constantly fear that I was about to pass out. My chest would be tight most of the day and I would get sharp, shooting pains all over my chest area and I would feel like every day I was going to die and even more so when I would try to go to bed at night; I was certain that I wasn't going to wake up the next day. Also, I would feel like everything around me was sped up and I would get shortness of breath frequently through out the day as well as panic attacks and somehow I managed to function for two years in this living nightmare before I went and got help for myself."

mark May 13, 2018

"This medication has been life changing for me. No side effects to mention apart from a bit of a tremor. Have been taking it about 3 to 4 weeks now. It cured my insomnia from day 1 and after a week or so I noticed a massive reduction in anxiety. Fingers crossed that continues. As an added bonus it really helped with pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis enabling me to cut dosage of my pain medication"

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Three to four years ago my terrific wife thought my behavior was changing (mostly impatient) while I was taking EFFEXOR so my Dr had me try Cybalta & my mood improved according to my wife. I also have mild-moderate depression and this drug also took care of that as well as my anxiety (occasional panic attacks--really scary). Now none!! Now the not-so-good-news. I believe the drug is attributable to increased ED, lower libido, tiredness, occasional brain 'zaps' (1-2 times/month on average usually at night when I first try to go to sleep, they last a few seconds but frightening nevertheless), Overall I recommend but realizing some of these situations could occur."

jimmyg (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Since my retirement life has taken a few major turns. Deaths in the family, reduced income, children with problems, greater interaction with my bipolar wife and aging finally brought me to a point of high anxiety. Ativan too much so doc started 20mg cymbalta. Still at 20mg, and any side effects were too mild to identify. I started calling it my "don't give a poop medicine" because I found I could deal with my wife's constant 'need' by just not caring. Just finished my taxes and any thoughts I had of discontinuing soon were wiped. Reading through these comments, I have seen the cluster of minor side effects that I was not associating with cymbalta. Afternoon fatigue, spaciness, headache that responds to water, unusual constipation and dream/wake state coupled with extended drowsiness after a normal nights sleep can be attributed to cymbalta. I was beginning to get anxious. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I assure you that at least one person has benefitted and is grateful."

PapaDan April 18, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "After my first dose of the generic version of Cymbalta yesterday evening for major anxiety and minor depression. I was surprised to feel a difference within a few hours. My mood lifted and I had more energy. I still felt slightly anxious. Initial side effects: quite bad insomnia, slight jitteriness, slight diarrhea, very slight confusion at times and nausea for the first 12 hours after taking it. After 2 weeks, I now have zero side effects and have changed to taking it in the mornings. It is a miracle drug for my depression! The constant dark feeling of sadness has lifted completely. It has also helped my anxiety quite a lot, however I still have periods of anxiousness. I am definitely going to stay on this medication as it has drastically improved the quality of my life."

stillholdingon (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication helped me so much! I battled severe depression in high school due to chronic illness and about a year and a half later developed a severe anxiety disorder. I started off on other meds (i.e. Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) with little help. I've been taking duloxetine now for ten years and it makes a world of difference for me! Every medication reacts VERY differently in each individual and its a process of trial and error, but I'm very thankful for this medication. Are there side effects? Sure, like with any medication. My worst ones are always being hot and dry mouth (comes and goes). I've found ways to deal with those though and it doesn't take away the fact that my anxiety is helped tremendously and my depression nearly disappeared. I will battle anxiety for my whole life, I'm sure, so please don't think any drug is a magic, cure-all pill! BUT I can conscientiously recognize an anxiety attack and use my coping skills, whereas before, I felt completely out of control."

Luvpaws1990 April 5, 2018

"This is for Sciencebitch: I'm going thru the same problems with generic brands switching since I was doing FINE on Teva. Have u found a generic thats as good as Teva?"

Jennjak (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Horrific drug that should be banned, the withdrawal was insane, even for the short time I was on it, thankfully I met thousands of others in a FB support group now with almost 15000 members on how to get off this poison safely and properly, via opening capsules and bead counting ( yes it's that bad to get off of) and a extremely slow taper..."

Tony (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I'm 46 and over all generally healthy. I have suffered with anxiety and PMDD for about 6 years. After trying many SSRI medications and taking a low dose of Xanax on a regular basis, Cymbalta has totally changed my life for the better. The mild side effects are far better than what I use to go through. I went from 20mg to 30mg and this works for me."

Lynn March 3, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "My husband had Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) 2 years ago and 2 months after he developed severe anxiety. At first he was given Ativan to help him. He was then given Celexa and it sent him for a loop--SEVERE anxiety, so that didn't work. He decided he would just use Ativan during the day and Xanax to help him sleep. I finally convinced him that he needs a long term treatment. He is almost through his second week of Cymbalta. It is making him very tired, almost exhaustion and he feels like he is in a fog. He is still having his spells, but I don't think they are as severe. I keep encouraging him to give it more time. I hope this works, I want my outgoing, funny, and energetic husband back."

Grandma T (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had substance abuse 7 years ago and suddenly developed anxiety disorder. I was put on many meds then on cymbalta 60mg and within 3 months everything was back to normal and my doc weaned me of another 3 months. I lived the best years of my life from 2012 traveling working got married have a daughter everything with 0 anxiety until last month. I started feeling like am losing my mind along with intense fear and then I realised my anxiety came back Same doc put me back on 30mg of cymbalta in the morning along with 2.5mg zyprexa at night for 1 month 10 days into the treatment felt normal again I couldn't be much happier went back to the old me BUT unfortunately the last 3 days anxiety came back very high. I talked to my doc today and he told me to keep the dosages like they are and to wait a little...so is it possible that the drug stopped working or its just my body is readjusting?? Did anyone have similar experience where the medication worked the first 10 days and then anxiety came back?"

Mcmo11 February 26, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on Cymbalta for just less than a month. It has been a life saver for me. I have C-PTSD, brain trauma, anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I've taken more meds than I can even remember. Cymbalta us working great and no side effects. I can go out in public now without anxiety attacks and I'm not sitting on the couch afraid to move. Good med for me. I take other meds also and was taken off of Klonopin. I know have more energy and happiness."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta worked great for me and I'm blessed that it did. I had read many reviews of those unable to take it for various reasons and that scared me but my Dr. suggested I try it and I'm so glad I did. For 16 months I had zero anxiety and I went through hell for part of that time. Things were going so well I decided to get off of it because taking it had negatively impacted my BP. I went from 60mg to 30mg for 30 days and then started 20mg. During the time I was on 20mg I had my first anxiety attack in 16 months! I'm back on 60mg and hoping once a few weeks pass of being back on maintenance dose that the anxiety will go away again! Wish I had never tried to get off of it!"

Hoopita (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Didnt do much for OCD, Social Phobia, and other anxiety issues."

yearsofocd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "horrible made me so sick and weight gain of over 30kgs. caused nausea and migraines. Would give a 0 if I could almost ruined my life and made it almost impossible to work and enjoy life"

Aliceeee January 4, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was not a medication for me. Instead of helping me, it made me mean. I took it for a few days but that's all the time I needed to see the horrible side effects."

Clubqueen (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have severe anxiety and this drug made me depressed to the point of hurting myself and thinking about suicide. I’m not a depressed person, I’m usually a happy go lucky person. Everybody reacts different but that was the worst 3 weeks ever."

Anxiety20 December 11, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I really love this one. Suuuper effective in so many ways. In particular, helped me get my depression and anxiety under control. It is included in my “concoction” of medicines, and just recently I tried cutting it out of the equation. -Ever since stopping it, I am back to crying regularly. Very sensitive and unable to control my emotions. I had trouble DRIVING because I was so overwhelmed with anxiety and terrified of getting into a car accident. Irritable, angry, sleeping 12 hours again. Depression is a bitch. I highly recommend giving this one a shot. *BEWARE* This drug makes you unable to sexually climax. (Which is why I’m seeking an alternative)"

Gabrielllllllaaaaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Within two days of starting Cymbalta, I had 'flashing lights' in my peripherals (which didn't go away for two years) and nausea. Not that big of a deal. But on day three, I was hit by an insane attack on what I assume was my central nervous system. I felt like my chest was in an ice bath, my internal temp dropped several degrees, my groin felt like it was on fire (burning/cramping), I started shaking and sweating and went into full blown panic. After taking a week off, I tried the drug again. Same thing. Absolutely awful. My doctors/pharms had never heard of these side effects, which were worse than my symptoms (anxiety-related feeling of throat/tongue swelling). I switched to Effexor (SNRI), which finally worked."

ahtnamas November 23, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was prescribed this to help with my severe anxiety and in hopes it would also help my chronic pain. I think I'm allergic to it because in 2 hours of taking it I got a stabbing pain in my head and the light made my eyes burn. I could barely even say this to a doctor because along with barely being able to string two words together I had intense nausea with cramping and it wasn't until the ER had the lights around me dimmed enough for me to try and open my eyes I realized my face was pretty swollen."

RookSun (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've suffered from anxiety and depression off and on for most of my life. I've tried many antidepressants (mostly SSRI's) without success. The side effects of these drugs were unbearable (mainly acute insomnia and panic attacks). Finally, after 30 years of intermittent mental suffering, despite running 30 miles a week and seeing a therapist on a regular basis, my primary care physician prescribed Cymbalta. It is a miracle drug. Although I've only been on it for 3 weeks, I'm already feeling relief from a major depression that started 6 months ago. I no longer have suicidal thoughts; negative, obsessive thinking; panic attacks; and I sleep like a rock. the world is so much brighter - I feel a sense of calm, contentment, and happiness."

Jane Cahill (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I tried to go about my life without being on an antidepressant, but life didn’t seem very liveable anymore. I tried Lexapro, and though it stopped the heart pounding and shortness of breath, I was still very depressed and always exhausted. I also went from 130 to 150 pounds in about 2 months. I switched to Cymbalta and everything changed, I have never been happier. I wake up full of energy, which is something I have never had. I have also lost the weight I gained! Like others have said, everyone is different and medications will affect you differently. I was surprised to hear my friend had a bad experience with it. I very much recommend at least trying because it has helped me so much!"

Ame19 November 5, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "All I can say is try it and don't take all reviews at face value - not everyone has brain zaps and puts on a ton of weight because everyone is different. All I know is I suffered from major anxiety and depression (tried to get by without meds for some time). I had fluoxetine and citalopram - the first only helped with depression and the second gave me heart palps. Now on cymbalta I am feeling normal and wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. The first week was a bit crazy, felt like on a bad trip. Then felt great for a week, then low again for two and now I am fine (Taken them for about 8 weeks now). I also have the motivation now to lose weight which I have done so I am fairly optimistic. 8 stars because haven't taken it long term yet."

Beaudy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017