User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine

omacor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2020

“Did wonders about the anxiety issues I was having for years; caused a panic attack on the 2nd day of starting it but everything was fine after that. Sadly the effect was only for about 8 months and I had to change it.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Kip March 20, 2020

“I was suffering from severe anxiety due to a rare drug reaction to an antibiotic. I had never had anxiety before, and I was 65. I lost 43pounds in 6 weeks, ( I had to force myself to eat) and this condition lasted for about a year. I tried Zoloft and it made things worse. I was prescribed duloxetine, but kept the bottle on my bedside table for a month. I was afraid to take it after reading many bad reviews. Finally I took the plunge and took my first 30 mg pill. I was feeling better within 5 hours. I had insomnia for about a week ( I already had that from the anxiety) but that disappeared. After a week my anxiety completely disappeared. It has been about a year, and no anxiety at all, despite the present corona virus crisis- normal worries of course, but nothing unusual. I am sleeping well, and I am happy. This drug saved my life for sure. I know my reaction to this drug is unusually positive. Most don't have such immediate positive results, and some have bad ones, but I was lucky.”

Jaciakky · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug Cymbalta certainly helped turn my life around. Starting on 30mg I moved up to 60mg after a week and stayed on that for a year or so. It completely cured my anxiety and helped me sleep. Side effects were -difficult to hold on to pee, constipation and tiredness. Also bad night sweats. This dose was great for my anxiety but it didn’t keep the migraines at bay so I was still getting flare ups about 3 times a week so was upped to 90mg but within 3 months I was back to 2/3 migraines a week. So up again to 120mg. On this dose I had no emotion; I couldn’t cry or feel sadness or happiness. I just felt numb and weary. But no migraines! The side effects are too much so I’m back down to 90mg. Migraine is just under the surface and breaks through 1/2 times weekly. The plan is to reduce Duloxetine so my anxiety is under control and then add in another med to deal with the migraine. I would recommend this drug for anxiety but not quite so good for migraine so it was a compromise.”

PennyQuick · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Taking Cymbalta is like having someone turn off the switch that controls my anxiety. It’s hard for me to comprehend how I lived with constant anxiety for most of my life now that is controlled. I will say this is a medicine that you must commit to taking as prescribed. Missing doses will bring the anxiety back full force.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I nearly died taking this drug I took one 30mg tablet and felt like someone had hit me in the back of the head after that I started getting brain zaps apparently that’s what they’re called by the Doctors in ICU It made me feel very sick and unwell but I thought it would wear off by 6 o’clock in the morning the next day I called an ambulance I was vomiting, shocking, cramping even though I hadn’t eaten or drunk anything except for water they took me straight into intensive care my sodium levels had plummeted and they put me straight in for a brain scan I was four days in intensive care. They said another half an hour and I would’ve had a massive stroke I was 49 at the time, The doctor said it had damaged my brain and they don’t know how long it will take to come good if ever I felt alright after about a week never take this drug you can die from it”

Chloe · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “NOTHING matters about this drug except the fact that withdrawal is horrific if you ever need to come off it. Don’t start! I am now in my 13th month coming off this drug. It has been the worst thing ever. I am now counting beads in capsules and reducing slowly; am down to 10 mg. Five more months and I hope to get my life back. This drug should be used only as a last resort when all else has failed. Would give it a zero if I could.”

Changed my life February 18, 2020

“I had been in denial of the stress in my life for almost a year and finally had a severe panic attack that left me on the side of the road completely paralyzed with only Siri to help get the ambulance to me. Finally decided to talk to my doctor about what could help. Now at my 6 week mark & life is moving in the right direction for me. I handle stressful things so differently, no longer consuming my life. To be clear this is not going to work for everyone but any of these slow releases will have you dealing with different symptoms that suck while it tries to get into your body. Get through those initial bad weeks & then decided if it’s for you. NEVER cold turkey it or you’ll really hate life for days with the worst withdrawals. PRos that most women will love is weight loss, less worry more positive thoughts and gratefulness. The only con I personally deal with are the night sweats that leave a pool of water on my chest, but I’d rather deal with that then anxiety all day everyday.”

Helen · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I started duloxetine 30mg 7 days go I felt scared to start, I must admit the first 5 days felt awful I had, anxiety through the roof, no appetite scared to go out the door and basically not being able to function. However the 6th day it all lifted somewhat and I feel lot better than the last few days, I was able to eat a little and didn't feel as anxious. I say persevere with it at least give it chance to work.i will be carrying on see how it goes”

Jay K February 11, 2020

“My doctor put me on 30mg of Duloxetine and after a couple of weeks, I started feeling very bad anxiety (shortness of breath, heart beating faster, excessive worry & irritable). A few days ago, he switched me from 30mg to 20mg - once daily. I’m really hoping this will get better soon. I’m physically and mentally wired up.. which is very uncomfortable. I got on this drug to help these kind of issues, but.. for some reason these things are now getting worse. I realize these drugs work definitely for everyone. Is anyone else having this negative experience on it. Not a fun ride.. :(”

greengirl4444 January 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I love this drug! changed my life.. I had severe migraines and depression and after taking this my pain level in my head on bad days went from 10/10 to 5/10. (and I now take ajovy shot so mostly pain free days for that ) but my depression and anxiety went away for 3 years! Not kidding.. I even started exercising. I started off on 30mg dose and went after a month to 60mg no side effects except harder to pee but whatever. I am debating now to go up to 80mg because after 3 years getting a little of my depression back. But this good great for nerve pain and depression I highly recommend..”

breeta · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been taking Cymbalta for 6 weeks. I started out at 30mgs, then up to 60 mgs. It has not helped at all and has made my stress and anxiety MUCH worse. On top of that, I am constantly sweating. Sweat drips down my face and my glasses are constantly fogged up. The weather can be 50 degrees outside and I’m wearing shorts and a TShirt and sweating! My doctor has decided to increase the dosage to 90mgs and I must comply or else be considered a “difficult” patient. I HATE sweating and I hate being so anxious that I hate people. :( I just want my life back and I do not see that happening being constantly annoyed and sweating like I just ran a marathon!”

Addydawn · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I am taking Cymbalta 30 mg for a week, now. My primary care physician gave it to me for bilateral hip pain when I sleep. It has been helping. More so, however, it has decreased my anxiety. Amazingly so! I feel calmer and I haven’t been grinding my teeth, which I do all the time from anxiety. It’s working for me. I think the 30 mg dose is plenty.”

Ash · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2020

“I started getting anxiety at age 17. (35 now) I tried everything out there and just about gave up. Then cymbalta came out and it was an absolute life saver. I went from daily panic attacks (serve to the point of passing out and calling 911 several times) to maybe 1 or 2 small ones a year! I took 60mgs for years then decided to go down to 30mgs. I have been taking 30mgs for 6 years now. I have noticed in the past couple months my anxiety attacks are more frequent (think its do to stress of everyday living...2 kids..house...husband..parents getting sick and winter blues) I have doctor appointment on Friday and want to ask about going to up it back to 60mgs for a year or so to see how it works. Please don't let the negative reviews scare you from taking this as it literally saved my life.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta ruin my life! The worst medication on the market! I went into a manic episode and ended up in the hospital! It's not a week later and I'm still feel the side effects!”

Hawkeye · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“I've been taking gabapentin and Lyrica at different times for peripheral nerve pain in both feet, not a diabetic and don't know how I got it. I'm also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic back pain both the medicines worked but left me foggy headed and moody, I didn't like taking those. I started duloxetine and it has been working, I've been on only 3 weeks but like it a lot only side effect was constipation and fatigue with some nausea and loss of appetite”

Jonni · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

“Extreme dizziness.”

ShaSha December 22, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been taking Cymbalta for 7 days for anxiety and I hate it! Today has been the worst. I keep forgetting where I’m parked and/or where I’m going as I’m driving down the street/ I will suddenly just be like, where was I going?! ALSO I have been extremely paranoid. Friends think I’m on drugs that are making me twitchy and nervous and that just adds to the anxiety. The one thing I specified to my doctor is that I don’t want to feel like I’m out of control and not myself!! I’m only taking 30mg. I’m weaning off ASAP. Thank goodness it’s only been a week.”

Squazzin December 15, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This drug Cymbalta was absolutely, insanely brutal. Just terrible, I simply can not stress enough it was an absolute nightmare. I was prescribed this by my doctor for severe anxiety and depression, and I thought my anxiety was bad before, this made it much, MUCH worse. I holed myself up in my room shaking for the 3 days I took it, when before I had a tough time doing things, but I did what I had to do (go to work, appointments, etc.) This made me so paranoid I didn't even want to leave my bedroom, I thought there were creatures in my apartment that wanted to attack me I mean just absolutely ridiculous thoughts. I also felt immensely weak, my girlfriend came home one day and tried to get physical with me and her just laying on my arms hurt, and I'm very strong otherwise. I slept for probably about 68 of the 72 hours I took it. Didn't eat once. This drug is an absolute nightmare. First time I've ever taken an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication too. This has been a terrifying experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'm finally free from the grips of anxiety and depression. I just feel normal. First week of Cymbalta was rough. Didn't know if I could do it. Nausea. Couldn't stay awake. Diarrhea. I stuck with it. Week 2, symptoms started to fade. I'm on month 4, this is the best I've felt in so long! I'm not numb, I still get nervous, I'm still awkward, I'm still myself! But it doesn't control me! I'm in the moment now! I'm not faking It! The only side effect now that I currently have is occasional night sweats. Which I will take any day of the week over how I felt before! I've lost weight. I no longer have low blood sugar. I feel like my entire body makeup has been changed for the better! It's hard to explain. And I know some people may be skeptical. I'm 40 years old and this is the best I've felt in over 20 years.”

Momma4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety/depression. The first week of using it I felt so much better. But that has tapered off in the last week or two. I don’t feel like it’s working for me anymore.”

Bear November 29, 2019

“I have had panic attacks for years, started in 92 in my 30's. I have tried several medications but the Duloxetine did help me get to a somewhat normal life. I think I have taken this medicine for so long that my symptoms of anxiety have started to return. I did try to increase the MG to 30 and took it daily for a while but it increased my anxiety. I have recently started the transition to stop taking the Duloxetine. I am slowly reducing by taking 20 MG every other day for 2- weeks, then 20 MG every third day. I will tell you that I have had withdrawal symptoms.”

Loo November 27, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Prior meds were not working as effectively anymore. I was slowly weaned off and start Cymbalta. First day I ended up cussing out a Supervisor due to extreme anxiety.”

TF · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “On the low dose of 20 mg for 4 to 5 weeks and felt no relief. Doctor increased to 40 mg and slowly over 3 weeks I started to feel better. Hope to continue on this medication.”

SJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I had tried a lot of drugs for my horrible anxiety and depression. I've been taking 80mg of Cymbalta. Nothing before this touched my anxiety and I was housebound for 10 years. The positives are my anxiety has gone from a 10 down to at least a 6/5 depression from a 10 down to a 7/6. I can orgasm - on other meds can cause issues The negatives - The withdrawal is REAL (try not to miss a dose), constipation, my body metabolizes this medication fast. I have to take an extra 20 mg dose in the morning. When I was just on the 60 in the evening I'd get bad brain zaps/dizziness. The biggest downside to this med is getting off of it. If you need to come off it taper as slow as you can and ask to go on Prozac which can really help with withdrawal. I recommend giving this med a try for anxiety. It's the only thing to help me. If you have depression alone I'd try something else first like Prozac or Wellbutrin as they are really easy to come off if they don't work for you.”