User Reviews for Duloxetine systemic

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Anxiety

"One word... WITHDRAWAL!! This has been said elsewhere, but having taken Duloxetine for only 3 months (to find it was still giving me very bad runs, headaches, brain fog etc) I took 10 weeks to come off. As soon as I hit zero all hell broke loose. Anxiety like I never knew existed, seizures (and 4 trips to the ER), along with period of suicidal depression and the usual (nausea, fog etc). I have been off them for 3 weeks and still not better. Any surprise that hundreds of people got a payout for what wasn't known about the side effects? Eli Lilly - you are complete and utter .."

Marcel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had a large but benign brain tumor removed a year and a half ago. After my recovery, I had depression and anxiety which I had never really had before. After dealing with it over a year, I started generic Cymbalta 3 months ago. First 2 months 30 mg a day. Some initial insomnia, 1 day of upset stomach, loss of appetite (lost 8 lbs) for about 3 weeks. Helped immediately with depression, anxiety issues took about 5 weeks. After 2 months, Dr put me on 60 mg a day which I've taken for 4 weeks now. Anxiety is so much better, feel it coming on now and then but it doesn't last. I've put the weight back on but nothing extra. Sleeping 6-7 hours a night, about average for me. This drug overall has really helped me, I take nothing else with it. I'm sorry to hear it effects some people so negatively, but please try to stay on this until your body can get used to the side effects. This drug has greatly improved my life."

g0ldon November 16, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta worked amazingly for me for GAD & depression a few years ago, & helped with chronic pain from herniated discs & headaches after bad auto accident. Unfortunately bad side effects such as loss of sexual interest & chronic abdominal pain & constipation forced me to stop taking it & got back on Zoloft for past couple years. Losing my mom to cancer has devastated me to point of desperation for help to survive the darkest days of my life. Praying for strength & peace from these oppressive spirits & terrible panic attaches, plus battling horrific chronic pain. Dr put me back on Cymbalta 60mg so I’ve been taking 30mg for a week now & this time around I’ve been having more abdominal pains & high blood pressure, hopefully this is just temporary bc overall Cymbalta worked better than any other antidepressant for anxiety, pain & depression so I’m going to keep taking it a few more weeks & slowly increase dosage. Take care & God bless all."

KandyAnn (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta changed my life. I was going through the worst life experience I could imagine. Thoughts of suicide dominated my life and panic attacks were often. Then I started taking Cymbalta and everything changed. I started having the ability to see a hopeful future and my panic attacks disappeared. The days I forget to take it look grey until I take it and hope returns. I'm too fearful to exist drug-free in my later years. I've never experienced any side effects, just positive ones. I wish I had started taking something like this when I was young. To me, it's a miracle drug."

Amos (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Terrible drug. Don’t start. Your body becomes addicted to it. The withdrawal symptoms when coming off are horrific"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2018

"Duloxetine did not help me with anxiety. I have a lot of energy in the first place and this drug gave me an even higher level of energy. I constantly felt like I was in fight or flight mode even before bed. I felt like I felt some of the soothing effects of serotonin but the norepinephrine was too much for me to handle."

Bmwdude18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This stuff made me want get suicidal thoughts and other dark thoughts. The side effects of this medication resulted in me being misdiagnosed as major depressive disorder and Bipolar 1. My doctor wouldn’t listen to me about the side effects and continued prescribing other medications to help with my new diagnosis. I was prescribed a total of 10 medications within 4 months because of the side effects of this medication!!"

I HATE Cymbalta! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2018

"It's likely too premature to rate the efficacy and intended result of Duloxotine on day 8 of medicating. But... I believe up to this point, my anxiety and possible depression we're far easier to deal with than the current feelings of OMG moments and almost total disconnection/ disassociation from outside human interaction. The nausea and lack of mental clarity isn't very pleasant either. Nor is the worsening insomnia or fatigue. The lack of appetite isn't so bad. I was very apprehensive to take this medication but reluctantly agreed out of desperation to feel better. My mood though has improved and am less over reactive to real life problems. But Hopefully the panic OMG feelings while at rest will subside soon or I want off. Anyone relate to the panic OMG feelings from this medication? Best wishes to everyone here for good health."

Hopefully (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on citalopram 40mg for years and it had stopped working. Had to reduce my citalopram before going on to duloxetine/cymbalta 30mg. The Citalopram withdrawal was 20mg a day for 2 weeks then 20mg every second day then 2 days of nothing then start taking 30mg duloxetine every night. I have been on it now for 2 weeks and have noticed a little difference because it can take a few weeks for full effect to kick in. Withdrawal symptoms from citalopram were not nice at all. Maybe the reduction was too quick. I ended up in hospital for few days which did me good. I have been out of hospital for week but been on duloxetine 30mg for about 2 weeks so I know I have to wait a bit longer for full effect to take place. I still get a bit anxious etc but things are slightly improving. I hope in another couple weeks I will notice even more of a difference. I live in Australia and government covers most of the price so I only pay about $7 a packet"

linda5211 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had pain throughout my entire body I felt like I was dying. My moods were at an all time low for months. No ambition just wanted to sleep and give up on life at age 45. I had been on other medicines for several years they worked ok but I still had issues. I just tried to cope with them until it became too much. I am on day 2 of Cymbalta 60mg and I can already feels the difference. I wake up feeling alive and I’m not hurting all over my body. My mentality is about 80% better already. Thank goodness this worked!! I hope it helps others as much as it has helped me!"

Jaye September 6, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Been taking for 10 days. First day upset stomach. Took for 2 days at night, but was having insomnia getting 3-5 hours sleep. Switched to mornings and started getting 6-7 hours sleep after 1 week. Noticed big improvement with slight depression within first few days (I was easily emotional several times a day). Anxiety is not gone but seems to be getting better already. Little dry mouth and decreased appetite (lost 4 lbs) but seems to be getting better each day. The first few days can be a little rough but I'm seeing improvements and I suggest to people stay with it the side effects will improve."

Rocket (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "It seems to help with most days but I am still on a dosage increase. I started at 30mg then bumped to 60mg and now I am at 90mg. I still have bad days but I'm hoping these will lessen as I become accustomed to the 90mg dosage. Next to no side effects except that weird 1% side effect of INSANE bruises."

SquidFartz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was really hard to take at first. I felt very out of it the first day, the second and third day the nausea was unbearable, I had terrible stomach cramps but the worst was the insomnia (but I had that before I started taking cymbalta). I was advise to try to stick to it and not give up because the benefits were coming. After 6 days I was so happy that all the side effects disappeared, I'm sleeping on my own with out insomnia meds, I feel like myself again and the terrible panic and dispersonalisation I was having are gone. I know I still have some time to go until is in full effect. I'm only on my second week but I'm excited to know that is going to be even better. Yes! Side effects suck and you feel you can't take it! BUT I think about the quality of life I was having without it and I'm afraid because it was so bad I was thinking of doing "anything" to stop it. Cymbalta is giving me the opportunity to enjoy life again. If you are struggling with side effects just hang in there. It will get better."

Anonymous August 25, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Although this medication helped me tremendously with my anxiety I believe it should not be taken by people who already deal with suicidal thoughts. I took 30 mg for a month and was fine maybe a little sleepy, as soon as I was raised to 60mg my suicidal thoughts were back and consistent, I have since gone back down to 30 mg and it is still happening."

Haily (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication honestly changed my life. I thought I was fine while taking it, so I went off cold turkey. It was the worst experience of my life. I took my 2 pills after about 9 days off. After an estimated 3 hours, I felt like my normal, happy, non-anxiety self again. I don't recommend it to anyone though. I tried about 4 different medications before Cymbalta was the one that helped me. Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "About 8 years ago I was going through a major depression and anxiety and bipolar and OCD all wrapped in one. The psychiatrists I had been seeing tried using the old school drugs Zoloft etc. Nothing was helping so I checked myself into an inpatient program. Then the miracle happened. The in house Psychiatrist put me on CYMBALTA. He explained that it differed from the older medicines in that it affects two parts of the brain. I experienced very little side effects and within a couple weeks I was feeling like my old self. It truly is a miracle med in my opinion."

Comeback Kid (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I had several side effects including nausea, fatigue, sweating, nightmares, elevated blood pressure, and constipation."

Brie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2018

"Only on for 4 days but had severe insomnia."

Flossy (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Dealing with severe anxiety and OCD my whole life, I decided to try medication when I turned 20. While my first few days on Cymbalta (10mg) were torturous, probably party due to mental reservations about taking a pill every day (I experienced vomiting, headaches, dizzy spells, nausea, inability to sleep, and complete loss of appetite), I'm SO glad I stuck with the drug. Now I am on 80mg, and without sounding completely corny, I feel like I'm finally the person I'm meant to be. Since starting the pill I've started rock climbing, learned to drive, and just become a much happier, friendlier, and more confident person. My friends and family have all noticed a huge shift in my personality and I'm so thrilled I went on cymbalta."

LJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've had 2 occasions on anidepressants. 2010 on cymbalta 60mg for GAD. Weaned off after a year. Last Friday bad anxiety after drinking. Dr gave me .25mg xanax 3x a day & 30mg Duloxetine 1x a day. Dr said I could start with 60 but I felt that was to high to start. I've only taken 1 dose of the xanax Friday. On Sat the 30mg Duloxetine. Xanax helped 4-5 hr & tapered off I'm told quicker cuz I smoke cigs. Sat feeling anxiety in waves so took 30mg Duloxetine @ 2:30 PM. I had a slight dry mouth & some slight dizziness by 8:30 PM. But I actually feel pretty good. At tolerable anxiety level. Is it possible that 1 dose of Cymbalta actually made my anxiety start to dissipate already? Or maybe my body just eventually kicks out the anxiety like it has in the past & I don't need meds. Did I jump the gun taking that 1 dose of Duloxetine? I wish I knew because I don't know what to do now with the meds. I really hate taking them if I don't really need them"

Loupags July 15, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've taken duloxetine for a few weeks. Sometimes I have feelings, like my head is light, as if I had no thoughts there. Then sometimes I have a million thoughts which scares me...has someone similar feelings? I take low dose, only 15mg."

zuzana (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I take Cymbalta 10 days. First week was good, bud today I feel worse. I had something like panic attack...has someone the same experience? Will it get better?"

Bobulocka (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

"Started duloxetine for anxiety and panic attacks. Never helped with my off balance feeling, perhaps helped with panic somewhat. Started to slowly lower it after months of it and realizing it wasn't helping. I wouldn't recommend ever starting this medication simply because of the withdrawal. I didn't think it would be that bad. The floor moves under my feet, the floor drops out from under me, my heart gets electrocuted and sinks into the floor, my chest gets electrocuted and goes up into my head. My brain moves around. I get so dizzy I can barely walk. The anticipation of all of this when I walk causes extreme anxiety and panic. Would not recommend a drug with norepinephrine if you do not have depression. Try a SSRI."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This drug was absolutely amazing when it worked for me. I started to notice resolution of my severe anxiety symptoms within a week with little to no side effects. Before I used this medication I was living in a constant state of anxiety where I would feel off balance most of the day and constantly fear that I was about to pass out. My chest would be tight most of the day and I would get sharp, shooting pains all over my chest area and I would feel like every day I was going to die and even more so when I would try to go to bed at night; I was certain that I wasn't going to wake up the next day. Also, I would feel like everything around me was sped up and I would get shortness of breath frequently through out the day as well as panic attacks and somehow I managed to function for two years in this living nightmare before I went and got help for myself."

mark May 13, 2018

"This medication has been life changing for me. No side effects to mention apart from a bit of a tremor. Have been taking it about 3 to 4 weeks now. It cured my insomnia from day 1 and after a week or so I noticed a massive reduction in anxiety. Fingers crossed that continues. As an added bonus it really helped with pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis enabling me to cut dosage of my pain medication"

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018