User Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Cymbalta, Drizalma Sprinkle, Irenka

Duloxetine has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 112 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Duloxetine

KGalRu · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “People please stop saying "don't recommend" Just like birth control, everyone reacts differently to meds. Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. And maybe it will work for someone, it could totally change their life, and because of your review they may never want to try it. My sister tried Cymbalta and it didn't work for her, yet she told me to give it a try and it changed my life.”

jas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 26, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve had Major Depressive Disorder for years, and Cymbalta genuinely gave me my life back. I had tried so many medications, therapy’s. I had been hospitalized 4 times, and nothing worked. Until I started Cymbalta. I remember being afraid of how happy I was. I didn’t know I could enjoy life like I was. I have experienced no side affects, and I thank god for this drug everyday.”

FatedToPretend · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I’ve been taking the generic Cymbalta for just over four years now to help manage my Major Depressive Disorder* My current maintenance dose is three 30mg capsules taken by mouth once daily, which totals to a 90mg dose/day. Overall, I’d say my experience with Cymbalta has been a positive one. I don’t particularly suffer from any of the listed side effects. Compared to other anti depressant-type medications, in my opinion, I would say Cymbalta in particular “kicked in,” the fastest, to where I started feeling better than the previous anti depressants I’ve been prescribed in the past. Cymbalta isn’t the common SSRI we’re all familiar with, this medication is an SNRI, which means it not only works to boost your Serotonin, but also Norepinephrine (also known as Noradrenalin and/or Noradrenaline). I personally find for my body/my brain, I do better with SNRIs than with SSRIs, but that’s just me personally.”

Nicki · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I personally loved this medication. Although it didn’t really help with my back pain, it helped with my anxiety as well as depression. It took almost a numbing effect, so I wasn’t feeling the emotions as strongly as I used to. But I’ve heard it works differently for some other people. I recommend trying it out, thanks for reading.”

Akupox June 8, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have dealt with major depressive disorder, GAD, PTSD and a whole lot of sensory issues, with no medication giving me relief. Normally, too much noise or any loud noises could send me off the rails, everything always felt dull and grey and I would spend days or weeks obsessing over things that gave me anxiety. I lost job after job and finally I decided to try again and get rid of this once and for all, and I cannot tell you how glad I am that I tried Cymbalta. Cymbalta is the ONLY medication EVER to help with my noise sensitivity. I feel like I am not so agitated all the time anymore and I feel like I am finally able to focus. I have had a few side effects, like diarrhea, a little bit of brain fog here and there and felt jittery after drinking coffee with it, but they were all fixable or liveable side effects. I haven't felt this normal in years...I finally feel like I have a chance at a meaningful life and not like I'm just existing and struggling through it all.”

DD · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have probably tried 15 or more meds for MDD & GAD. I also was diagnosed Bi Polar but another Dr didn't think so...anytime I felt like it should be better they would tell me I wouldn't ever be 100%, it was just supposed to help. I was ready to give up and went to a new place and they prescribed me Cymbalta. I am on buspar and iron. But I think the Cymbalta is the best thing I have ever tried. I felt a little difference after 1 dose of 30mg. I'm an now a month in and I feel the best I ever have and I literally was ready to give up. I was so miserable feeling that way. So after 10 years of struggling. I'm so happy. I feel like a different person. All my drs tried me on SSRIs and never a SSNRIs...I have faith in meds now.”

Kristina A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 29, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “This medication has literally saved my life. I was in a bad place 6 month ago and starting feeling better within 4 days of taking cymbalta. It has made my depression disappear and has made my anxiety much easier to deal with. I even yell at my kids less and am much less reactive. I will never stop taking cymbalta!”

Clmtqm · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “After thirty years of taking Effexor which did not help my MDD, it was recently revealed to me in a Gene test from GenoMind in my Psychiatrist/Neurologists office that my body cannot take Effexor not several others, and that Cymbalta would be effective. I tried two others the test suggested, but stopped due to terrible side effects. Cymbalta 60mg along with critically depleted in MDD patients Methylfolate 15mg, and Ace-L-Carnitine have given me my life back. Although I think it’s causing night sweats, it has taken the edge off of the stress from chronic pain, as well as, PTSD, and I’m more calm and at peace. I’m able to shower, eat, and leave the house again. It’s been a miracle for me. Not perfect, but definitely a life changer.”

Jo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I've been on Cymbalta for about a year now and just recently increased dosage from 60mg to 90mg because of depressive episodes during quarantine. I've not had problems with the drug until now. I recently have started having trouble staying asleep, although falling asleep hasn't been an issue. I've also wet the bed which is extremely unusual as I haven't done that since I was a child. Overall, it has helped relieve suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks, but the higher dosage side effects are really making me consider going back down to 60mg.”

Kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Do not take Cymbalta if you want to keep any of your current relationships alive. Despite being majorly depressed with social avoidance disorders before taking this medication, I actually cared about my family and my loving boyfriend. Now, after only a month, I cannot kiss my boyfriend without feeling like I want to vomit, nor can I look at him without feeling this gut-wrenching repulsion. Not to mention my sister called me telling me our youngest sister was about to commit suicide, and I literally did not care. I didn't even try to speak to any of my family because I literally did not care. I feel like I really don't like everyone I used to love because of cymbalta. I don't feel less depressed either, in fact I've been having anger filled meltdowns almost daily complete with suicidal thoughts. Would not recommend; has ruined my life.”

Thomas the Ape · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 26, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “While Cymbalta took care of my major depressive disorder AND my chronic pain, I feel as though I've been chemically castrated from this medication. Not only can I not achieve an erection, but my desire to have sex has virtually disappeared. I decided to quit cold turkey, and man, it's tough. I've had crazy dreams, lots of dizziness, and nausea, but what's great is that my sex drive has exploded. I won't go back on it. Especially since neither my chronic pain, nor any symptoms of my major depressive disorder have returned. Stay off this stuff if you can. I won't go back on it. Not for anything.”

Jonny May 19, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I suffered from crippling anxiety and depression for 8 years, in and out of hospitals, ECT, nothing seemed to work. I just felt absolutely hopeless. Even the sound of birds hurt my ears. I was so deep in the darkness and tried everything. Every med. You name it. Then Cymbalta came along. It took a long time to kick in. 12 weeks but when it finally did it killed the anxiety . It came with crippling fatigue though for the first few weeks but it was amazing to sleep without panic attacks for the first time in years. I just countered it with a ton of coffee. I have been taking it for 9 years now and it is really messing with my stomach and intestines. It didn't for the first 5-6 years but now it's bad so time to get off it. First week weaning and it's a real tough go, dizzy as heck, brain zaps, really weak and tired, can't focus, grumpy for no reason, but it will pass if I push through. Even with the hard withdrawal, this med gave me another chance at life when I needed it.”

Abelslove80 · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have had depression as far back as I can remember, diagnosed with GA and major depression along with PTSD due to two life changing events I went though. I've tried zoloft (did nothing ) Effexor XR ( Made me sleep 24/7) Celexa ( caused SEVERE anxiety attacks) and just started Cymbolta, on day 7 and I can't believe how much better I already feel at 30mg 1x day. I also just had 2 major back surgeries and am learning to walk again at age 35, yet despite my trials, I feel happier, positive, lowered anxiety etc. First day I did have severe throwing up spells, but that's gone, low appetite still but a good thing for me, INCREASED sex drive & sleep like a baby. I take it at 8 everyday. Good luck, everyone's different!”

CountingZebra · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I'm one of the lucky ones with minimal side effects. I couldn't fall asleep for the first week but now I am sleeping very well and see a lot of vivid dreams. My appetite is decreased and I am losing weight which makes me happy because I tended to overeat and I needed to lose some weight. I am exercising every second day. I am taking the drug for major depressive disorder and severe anxiety. My anxiety was gone by approximately the third day of using it. My negative thinking decreased. Before taking Cymbalta I was constantly feeling fear, I was waking up at night, my thinking was severely impaired by negative thinking, I was constantly feeling like crying, I felt dumb in general and wanted to die. I'm back to life now.”

Missymoo April 7, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I started taking cymbalta 60 mg daily in 2010 after taking natural therapies that just didn’t work. I had severe depression and anxiety. First started on 30mg first month, then increased to 60mg. Side effects were yawning, tight jaw. But I found the Cymbalta that had helped me immensely, with my dark thoughts, sadness, hopelessness had disappeared. I did try going off it a few years ago very gradually, as I thought I was well again, but everyday was such an effort, seratonin was so low. Depression returned and I just thought this is crazy, go back on it. I have so many friends that are so anti prescribed drugs. So I just don’t enter into discussions as it only upsets me because I need this medication. I find I’m happy, healthy in mind. My libido is quite low but I’m active in sport and the community which helps me.”

Kansas Kim March 6, 2017

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I married a great man. I put this man through hell . I'm 34 was 32 had a hysterectomy and here came menopause. I was living hell. I felt every bad feeling you could possibly feel. For no reason. Finally this Feb 2017 I snapped. I don't remember much other than trying to kill myself. I almost lost my family. I reached out for help my Dr put me on 30mg then 60 now 120. The 1st day I felt brand new. My face was numb but that's it. Everything is brighter better warm and I have love in my ❤ Thank you for saving me!”

Tali September 5, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was prescribed Cymbalta 60mg daily by my psychiatrist after a rapid downslide in my bipolar depression. The first day was very rough for me - headache & severe nausea. The next couple of days I was feeling slightly "high" & couldn't stop clenching my jaw or rushing my words. Thankfully all of that has passed (5 weeks in) now constipation is my only complaint. It has changed my outlook completely & I'm so thankful. Hopefully it doesn't change because it's been a life saver!”

Loving Life Now · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 14, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I switched to Cymbalta because my previous med combination (2 meds) wasn't helping my anxiety whatsoever, and I hate taking more pills than absolutely necessary. For the first time in my life (50s), both my anxiety AND major depression are under control. The first few months, this drug knocked me out cold, best taken at night. After being on it for three years, the only side effect I have is major lag in orgasm (I'm a woman)--I'm looking at reducing my dosage if possible to see if that changes things, as enjoying sex is important to me. (no change in libido!). I truly hope this med continues to work for me forever.”

Nicole · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is great and for me I had 0 side effects. I removed a star because the withdrawal is what I can only imagine is akin to heroin withdrawal. I had read this before I started taking it, and assumed people had a low-pain tolerance but nope. Some biblical stuff Anyway, I take 20mg in my PTSD cocktail. I can finally get out of bed in the morning, and life feels less flat. It’s easier to get up and walk, if that makes any sense, whereas before it was a huge taxing effort. I would 100% recommend this drug but only if you are in really bad shape, and the normal alternatives haven’t worked. I wouldn’t wish that withdrawal on my worst enemy Prozac made me suicidal, Zoloft was amazing but made me fat, Lexapro made me feel like crawling out of my skin, Trintellix was great for memory but no effect on mood, Wellbutrin did little to nothing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2016

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta was a real game changer for me after a lot of trial and error with other antidepressants. It was prescribed to me in 2006 during a major depressive episode in my early twenties that required inpatient hospitalization. The results were remarkable. In a span of 24 hours, I had much greater mood regulation and was not ruminating on negative thoughts. Cymbalta was also helpful in developing healthy eating patterns after a period of binge eating. The appetite suppressing effect made it easier for me to modify portions and lose the weight I'd gained. I took Cymbalta for two years. The only lasting side effect was afternoon and evening tiredness. Titrating off the medication went well except for some nausea that eventually resided.”

steven0610123 · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “After I started taking this I was glued to this web site reading everybody's positive feedback to give me hope. I had been on it a couple years ago and it worked very well but stopped as life improved with little side effects. A couple years went by and life took a turn for the worse. Going from being very comfortable financially to almost homeless and loosing everything I had including my wife I went to get help. I can not explain in words how horrible I felt. I was in such a dark place this time I had my doubts it would work but it has. I am starting to feel better after a week and a half and hope it continues. I have tried many different anti-depressants mentioned here and none of them worked. Cymbalta saved my life!”

ohioscanner June 26, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I have been taking Cymbalta for several years now. It works great for me. If I don't take it I cry. I take 60mg/day. It helps with my fibromyalgia also. I had tried many other medicines like Lexapro and nothing else worked for me.”

Ponyo April 3, 2021

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “Cymbalta is the WORST medication I've ever taken. I've never experienced a worse withdrawal. I started Cymbalta after Lexapro stopped working for me. After starting Cymbalta, things got worse. The little bit of work that Lexapro was doing was more effective than Cymbalta. I went from being barely functional to being in a catatonic state. I was on it for 5 weeks before my psych. took me off of it. Big mistake. Despite tapering the medication & starting Prozac, I was met with nausea, vertigo, lightheadedness, brain zaps, hot flashes, & fatigue. They tapered me off more slowly. Still didn't work. Yesterday was my first day back off of Cymbalta and I ended up vomiting, on top of the other symptoms I mentioned. And you know what happened when I took it again last night? All those symptoms went away. The physical dependency that this med. creates due to its short half-life is insane. Not recommended. Cymbalta is an ineffective drug with a severe withdrawal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2020

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!! I was on Cymbalta for almost a year, it hardly helped with my depression and did NOT help with anxiety, and intrusive thoughts came back. I tried every dose, but it just made me worse. I was constantly crying, and panicking over things that I thought were going to happen. And let me tell you, it’s absolutely sickening how horrible the withdrawal is. Cymbalta isn’t for everyone, but it messed me up.”

Fitzy2211 June 6, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): “I was on 100mg of Pristiq which really wasn't working for me. I stopped taking medication and started having suicidal thoughts. A friend recommended Cymbalta so I saw a Dr and started on 30mg. Within a month my depression was nearly non-existent. I had off days but overall it was amazing. After the month though, I noticed I was starting to feel down and irritable towards the end of the day (I take mine at night before sleep) I've been increased to 60 mg and I can't be happier. I have not felt this calm and happy with life in close on 7 years There are noticeable side effects for me. I have extremely vivid dreams most nights and I can recall most of them upon waking. Also loss of appetite is a big one.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder