User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Learn more about Duloxetine.

Duloxetine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

"Started on 20mg per day increasing after a few weeks. At first I had the expected nausea, dizziness and feeling of being slightly out of it. However I was told to push through and give them “time to settle”. Mistake! My symptoms quickly worsened to hot flushes with profuse sweating and a pounding heartbeat where just being inside the house was way too warm. Then the mental confusion worsened to the point where I couldn’t even work out simple things like how much money to give when I went shopping. I was getting very confused and clumsy, dropping things and tripping over my own feet. Finally I began losing control over my upper body. It would freeze up solid with every muscle rigid and there was nothing I could do to relax."

Peter Simpkin (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Was prescribed 20mg of this when my hands started burning, which caused me more anxiety than the idiopathic nerve damage in my feet that was detected on an EMG. Feeling much less anxious, NO nerve pain in my hands, and 80-90% less tingling/vibrating in my feet. The first week on this I had severe headaches in the morning, which I pushed thru and didn't have after about 10 days. I feel noticeably less energetic and groggy in the morning than I used to. Other than that, I haven't noticed any side effects, and I usually react to medications (which makes me cautious). I am not on ANY other meds. I would rate this a 10, but the awful headaches in the morning were a pain and feeling groggy until noon-ish is tolerable but not ideal."

Justme22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have taken Cymbalta for 12 years for Peripheral Neuropathy. The prior 15 years I had what felt like a million little electric eels burrowing just under the skin of my right thigh. Or it felt like my thigh was packed in ice. For 15 years I was blown off by every doctor I saw under my insurance. A Dr not covered by my insurance prescribed Cymbalta. I had an immediate improvement, which just kept getting better. 0 side effects. A year in and things unrelated to the neuropathy improved dramatically. A hand tremor went away, I no longer fell a lot. Eventually Kaiser would cover the Generic, which makes me throw up."

hmmmmmmmmm October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I'm a recovering alcoholic of 16 years. I was diagnosed diabetic in 2008 and continued drinking until May 7th 2017. Unfortunately my addiction had caused a lot of damage to my body that I didn't notice while consuming 3-6 gallons of beer a day. In the past if I didn't have a drink I would start to feel pain in my legs so I drank more. Now after the first I weeks and the shakes went away I went to a doctor to get my health checked. After fully disclosing my situation he prescribed gabapentin.. I had a bad skin burring reaction after a few weeks and my legs and feet were like lighting storms of pain. He then prescribed Cymbalta. I was reluctant at first reading all the side effects. But now I take it 2 hours before bed and the pain is gone."

Amoya81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have taken 60mg for 20 years. Three weeks ago my Dr. dropped the dosage to 30 mg. I had some hateful and days of crying. Now that passed but my feet and legs and lower back hurt so bad I can barely walk. Is this normal and would it stop if I took 60 again."

Billiejeanhampton (taken for 10 years or more) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I"ve been taking cymbalta for 10 years for neuropathy. I didn't know how effective it was until I decided to stop taking it. My foot felt as if it were in hot coals. I love it."

Dunn405 January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've been on Cymbalta/30mg for 1 week. Strong diarrhea first night, missed work the next day. Since then little trouble sleeping, napping on my days off. I work 12 hr shifts on my feet on a cement floor. I lost the feeling in my toes almost a year ago. Dealt with the hot coals burning on the bottom of my feet also. In such a short length of time I have had some relief in the burning of my soles and with the back pain. Hoping for continued improvement"

Ssanders261 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been taking the drug for just a little over 3 weeks , I want a life membership for this Drug , I hardly have any pain , I can feel my feet and feel great on it , I am one of the lucky ones after reading many posts , i Have had nerve pain for almost 3 years and it has been brutal , I have tied amtatriplean , and lyrica , both did not wok , feeling way better"

Raz1959 August 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have a amputated left arm I have horrible nerve pain ,the doctor I just saw started me on cymbalta I have only been on it a week and have not noticed any different yet how long does it take for it to work?"

No Arm (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Sort of worked but I was sleeping all the time. 12 - 14 hours per day and then could not move the rest of the day. Had to stop after 10 days of being a zombie."

No Nickname May 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Made me sick first day nausea , dizzy, vomit, sweating, high blood pressure"

Lisa0617 March 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been on Cymbalta for over 2 years. I have M.S. And am a type 1 diabetic with severe Neuropathy. Before this medication, the searing pain in my legs was unbearable. I could not walk because of it. I was originally put on gabapenton, and had such severe side effects that I quit taking it. My neurologist then prescribed me Cymbalta. He started me on a low dose, then after a month doubled it. Since then, I experience little to no pain. When I am a bit uncomfortable, I get in a warm bath and the pain is gone. I sleep better, have better control over my blood sugar as it does suppress appetite, but that means I am not munching or over eating. I can not live without it!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Not diabetic neuropathy, but neuropathic pain nonetheless. Works wonderfully... ...except for the terrible acne it's causing, and the relatively frequent but terrible headaches. I also have some issues with anxiety; it has done exactly nothing of use there."

dyot (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was on Cymbalta for a few years, and over that time, I didn't notice a significant reduction in the pain, but I did notice that my memory started to diminish. I asked my doctor to take me off of it, but he refused, so I quit cold-turkey. The side effects are significant and severe! I wouldn't suggest this tactic! All in all, I'm very happy to be off of it... my memory is improving noticeably, and the foot pain is just about the same."

samitarvian October 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Excellent results with Cymbalta on 30mg once each night. Burning pain reduced some 80%. Does generate dreams, but not uncomfortable dreams. This is the first medicine that helped. Side effects too great with Neurontin; felt little to no effect with Lyrica."

Potomac March 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was originally put on Cymbalta for depression, I was told to take it during the day which I did. When I took the Cymbalta during the day it made me incredibly sleepy to the point I could NOT stay awake so I discontinued it's use. Fast forward a few years and I started experiencing HORRIBLE Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Doctor put me on Cymbalta to try and treat the pain. This time I took it before bed. I didn't notice any sleepiness during the day, and my nerve pain got better, and eventually was completely gone. After a year of use and almost no pain at all, I started having some "break through pain". Even though I am having "break through pain" after a year, the Cymbalta still makes life 100x better and I and grateful to have it!"

jesssikarmaa February 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Can't live without it"

Momma 1234 July 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Causes erectile dysfunction, and raises blood sugar x 2 times.."

JosephRu (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it."

RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I’m a Type 1 Diabetic for 39 years. Had VERY painful muscle spasms/seizing and twitching. I tried various supplements which "should" have helped but no improvement. I started Neurontin at 1,800mg/day and I had terrible swelling plus gained 18 lbs in 6 months (and my eating habits actually got better while on it). The 1,800mg of Neurontin no longer controlled the muscle spasms. I started Cymbalta, 30 mg before bed, and had significant reduction in pain the first morning. I did notice a very strong headache that first day. I had only 3-4 muscle spasms that first day as well....Wow!! Second day...almost NO pain in the morning and only a dull headache with much weaker muscle spasms. Side effects: Crazy dreams, difficulty sleeping, headache."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was not sure how well it worked at first. Then I was unable to get it for awhile, and was in a lot of pain, trouble getting through the day. I just wanted to sleep. Once back in my system I noticed the difference. This helps my depression, back pain, and the neuropathy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Did not work for me. I had nausea, abdominal & stomach pain, loss of appetite. I lost 5 lbs. in less than a week."

Anonymous August 12, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe Diabetic Neuropathy to both feet, and Neurotin seemed rather ineffective. The pain was a combination of burning, needles and pins sensation, and severe knife stabbing sensations intermittently to both feet. I started taking Cymbalta over a year ago, and it has significantly reduced the sensations and pain, making them tolerable. I initially noticed a loss of appetite, which was a blessing in disguise for me, and I lost 25 pounds before the anorexia disappeared. I have several severe disorders which require close monitoring of my blood, but overall, Cymbalta has been a God send to me."

Tonywwk1 March 23, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I started on 30mg Cymbalta daily with a little foot pain improvement - as this was still not enough my doctor put me on 60mg daily. I am so happy and relieved to be able to actually "walk" again and function like a normal person. I was crawling to the bathroom at night before for 8 months I was in pure agony. I have been on Cymbalta for 5 weeks and so far great results! Thank you Eli Lilly and my doctor."

Sewanhaka100 February 18, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta lessens the burning pain in my feet that used to wake me up and keep me awake at night. It often relieves burning pain almost completely."

Anonymous September 6, 2010