User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Period Pain

"I'm a person where my period usually lasts around 8-10 days & is very heavy and crampy. On average I use about 6 pads a day. My period is also super crampy where my school & my job is used to me missing almost a week. But a little over a year ago a friend of mine had a prescription for naproxen, she let me try it out to see how I liked it since nothing worked for me. I've tried advil, aleve, ibuprofen, tylenol & midol but nothing seemed to work. But let me tell you when I tried naproxen , it was a miracle!!!! it takes under 10 minutes to work for me and it has a long lasting effect. I usually take one pill a day, hardly ever two and it keeps me cramp free the entire day & thats a lot to say considering I used to miss work and school !!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always had severe period cramps, fainting, nausea, and stabbing pains. Naproxen 500 has been the only (non birth control remedy) that greatly relieves my pain. It's tricky because you have to get the timing just right, not too soon before period cramps start or too late after they already started. You must start it the moment you feel cramps. Starting before your period isn't as effective because that's not how this medication works best."

Dee79 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cramps woke me up. Took 500 mg of Naproxen because I was out of advil. It worked in 25 minutes to eliminate all pain."

Anglee45 December 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered from horrible period cramps my entire life. When I was younger, I would need to be picked up from school and was bed ridden all day. Advil has never helped reduce these cramps, in fact, it made my bleeding heavier. I started taking naproxen after my obgyn recommended it and it really does help to reduce the severity of the cramps. I still get mild cramps the first two days, but I am able to function and perform my daily activities. It works more efficiently if you take it twice a day for a few days leading to your period."

Chris1119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take naproxen to help decrease the blood when I'm on my period taking it 3 times a day 3 days before my period and up to and it works great, I was prescribed by the doctor around a year ago and it's really been helping my periods to become lighter, since I take it for 3 days before my period I don't see any help with period pain and I never knew it could help that so my periods are still as painful as before taking naproxen"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Aleve is much more effective for me than Advil. Like everyone else I've been dealing with extremely painful cramps my whole life. I was taking Advil but would always end up throwing up and bent over in excruciating pain, switched to Aleve and at least now I can function during the first three critical days and not stuck in bed throwing up. I still get bad cramps every now and then so it's not perfect but at least Aleve helps me get through it. I usually take two in the morning; two at night. There should be a support group for woman that suffer from severe menstrual cycles. I feel like I'm the only one, but felt better after reading some of the other posts here; I'm not alone in my struggle."

PASF August 7, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have very painful cramps, nausea, vomiting, the whole works. When I was younger, I'd have to come home early from school because I took the Advil too late, or was scared to take it at all for fear it would make the pain worse or wouldn't work at all. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. This is the case with all other pain medications I've tried to lessen my period pain. As for my 375 mg, prescription Naproxen, I can say that it worked fabulously the first time I used it. But today is the third time (month) I've used it and I'm in not-to-be-snuffed-at pain. I'm getting by with applied heat. I'm at a loss for what I should do this month and the next month and the next."

Yellowshoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to just take ibuprofen and that would only take the edge off but I will still be in a lot of pain that I have vomited before and had to go home from work. Then I tried taking ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time, 2 of each every 4 hours which was better but I could still feel the pain. Then someone suggested I try Naproxen and it has honestly changed my life. Now I only need to take 2 the first time and then 1 every 6-8 hours and I am almost totally pain free. I'm just kicking myself I didn't try it 10 years ago. I'm Australian so I just buy it over the counter and it about $20 for a packet."

Lydgiff July 26, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I really love naproxen and taking it. It is really effective especially with the fact that I get such strong cramps that usually keep me in bed all day. It lets me enjoy activities without worrying about pain and how to make myself feel better. Sometimes my cramps may get so strong that I can feel cramps through it but its almost not so strong but occasionally strong. Naproxen just depends on the amount of pain you get and its always a mystery for me because i can never predict my cramps. But the point is, Naproxen always makes me feel better no matter how strong my cramps are. I recommend people to take it for ease of pain and always use it with food, trust me. I didn't once and it took away the cramps but i got such a weird stomach ache."

some girl July 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "Aleve is the only pain killer that really helps. I used to take a double dose of extra strong Midol and it would last me maybe 4 hours. With the Aleve I take 1 every 11-12 hours and I am good for the day."

Ang101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm gonna be honest Naproxen does not help at all for my cramps. I got a IUD to help with the pain a flow of my menstrual cycle, it helped with the flow but not the pain. She prescribe this to me and I still have excruciating pain. Everyone is different"

Naiaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been having severe menstrual cramps since I began menstruation. I tried Naproxen (prescribed) in the past and it worked very well. Now, it has no effect what so ever. So far, liquid ibuprofen has been the only thing that helps make the pain manageable."

Plain_Jane321 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took two OTC. While it took the edge off the most extreme pain, was still very uncomfortable. I have a very high pain tolerance as I was a professional dancer, and martial artist. What annoys me is that you can't take anymore for 12 hours. Severe pain started coming back after 8 hours. I'd rather go back to my 4-5 Advil every 4 hours than this."

Kiyoko April 2, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Naprelan (naproxen): "Works great for menstrual pain and doesn't hurt my stomach like other naproxen, as long as I take it on a full stomach. I take one and it works all day. Only draw back is the cost, so my doctor stocked me up on samples. Even with insurance it was outrageous."

AussieRab (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I for one have horrible period cramps I have tried so many over-the-counter pain relievers and none of them worked then I tried naproxen and it changed my life I was actually able to get up and go outside and do my work I highly recommend it it's a great lifesaver if you have severe cramps like I do I have severe cramps to the point where I'm on the floor crying and almost vomiting and naproxen has held it back I mean help the pain back quite a bit love it. Its great and you don't need a perscription."

Jadice Scarlette (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had really bad cramps. I tried several things, and nothing seem to work. When I get them bad I have to miss school and just lay in my bed with back pain, headache, barf etc. So I had enough and decided to go to the doctors. My doctors prescribe me for naproxen. On the day of my cycle I took the pill and in about 30 minutes I was pain free. I took a nap and it felt like I didn't even have my period! I definitely recommend this, I am very pleased and this will be my go to every month. but remember, what works for me doesn't work for all."

KyKy128 March 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Girls... If you want to be able to function and actually get out of bed this is the solution for you. I have unbearable cramps to where I'm stuck in bed and cry all day from the pain. I've tried everything over the counter and nothing has worked. I was prescribed the 550 mg and my life has changed. Even though there are times where I still have pain it's not as bad as it was. I don't experience any real side effects except sometimes I get a little tired, but it's not horrible."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doctor prescribed me naproxen sodium since I have endometriosis and it helps my cramps a lot. My cramps before were so bad they made me stay in bed and made me nauseous. This stops/slows the cramps thus eliminating all my other period pains. Definitely recommend this to other women with the same problem."

Vanessaaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "This is my go to drug every month for cramps. Love love love. I've had severe cramps ever since and as soon as I started taking this everything will go away in less than 15 minutes."

Karina Sam (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suffered severe period pain doctor put me on naproxen in 2 months have no pain and no period flow it's basically stopped but side effects I got itchy hives but it's great..but doctor says pain is fibroids that have to come out I wanted to stay on naproxen but she said it's only a solution not the end result...."

Miss Buffy October 19, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed this for my crippling period cramps that made it impossible for me to go about my day whatsoever. It worked well for the first few months. It did not completely eliminate my pain but the pain was not nearly as bad as before. After about 4 months of taking it I began to notice side effects such as racing heart beat, difficulty swallowing, and constipation among others. I quickly stopped taking it after noticing these side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "Swelling, tingling feeling on my tongue and hives shortly after taking this product. I remember taking it for period pain in middle school and had little issues, now I must stay completely away from it."

Martha Martha July 17, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried everything but only with this painkiller I can function on first day of my period. I still feel little pain but bearable. I can go to job. Until I discover this drug I was every month minimum one day in bed vomiting, screaming and crying. Other pills never helped this much."

tinkyrs July 7, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was passing out from the sheer pain that radiated from my lower abdomen to my lower back and so on. I had quite the pain tolerance, yet this pain was like no other. Hot water bottles, home remedies, Motrin, nothing worked. When I spoke to my doctor, she recommended the pill but my mother was against this because of my age. After I turned 13, my doctor decided to prescribe me naproxen, 250 mg, take 2 at onset of cramps and then 1 pill every 6-8 hours as needed. It was magical, I mean within 10-20 minutes of me taking it, the pain went away. How? Naproxen is a NSAID, it reduces inflammation in the uterus. That simple. Highly recommend, but use carefully so as to not damage your liver. Seriously."

Randi937 July 6, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've always had horrible cramps which where unbearable I used Advil but I always end up taking 6+ so then my doctor prescribed Naproxens 500mg and only take 2 a day and the pain totally goes always within the first 10 minutes"

Alex0606 June 26, 2015