User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief …show all brand names

Naproxen Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Period Pain

"I am overweight which brings more unnecessary pain to my cramps, as well as having bad cramps runs in my family. I am not new to naproxen but one day when I woke up at night in severe pain where I wanted to poop, puke and die, I took one and hopped in n the shower. Roughly 20 minutes for me to feel 80 better and because of that I’m grateful."

Wish (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

"My second-day cramps are usually so terrible that I cannot get out of bed. I've tried Pamprin, Midol, and other pain relievers for my menstrual cramps and none of them helped with the pain. Aleeve is the only one that works for me. If I take 2 and then take a short nap, my cramps are completely gone when I wake up."

meg (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

"Ever since I could remember I always had the worst period cramps. I would miss school, work, parties, you name it for the first 2 days of my flow because the pain was just too much to handle. I threw up every month, felt weak, faint and had a hard time even getting out of bed. A year ago I finally decided I've had enough and do not deserve to go through this pain monthly. My doctor prescribed me Naproxen 500, and although it certainly isn't a miracle worker, I am now able to go on with my life and complete my day to day tasks. The discomfort is still mildly there, but I am just so happy to not be on the toilet puking each month from the severe pain. I am able to function with Naproxen and it has helped me significantly."

Daisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

"I have awful period cramps and this did not help at all"

jensen84819 February 21, 2018

"It's the only one that works for me. I'm having a lot of cramps and pain every month and the first day I have to stay in my bed but with this medication everything is going away! When I notice the first symptoms I take it and after 20 Minutes I have nothing. I need to take it only one time in the first day. I have zero side effects."

Rleni (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2018

"I've been taking naproxen for a couple of months for severe cramps and it has been working wonders. Two a day on day 2 of my cycle and I'm good, then maybe 1/2 on day 3 going into day 4. My only side effect this month is that my cycle has stayed on a little longer. It's usually 6 days max....and now I'm on day 8, so hopefully the end is near !! I'll definitely try it again next month !!"

ChocChic (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): "Soon as I feel a little cramping coming on when my period starts I take 2 aleves and my cramps are gone for majority of the day if not the whole day."

Lmc98 December 22, 2017

"This is the only pain medication I have taken that helps with my menstrual pain. This includes back pain, cramping, headaches, and pain in my hip. By alleviating the pain it also helps alleviate the nausea caused by the pain. With that being said, I have never had a negative side effect while using this medication."

Worlds not round (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 3, 2017

Aleve (naproxen): "Aleve has been a miracle drug for me. I’m not one to write reviews on anything but I can tell you from my experience today that I was in so much pain from menstrual cramps that I was crying. I took two extra strength Tylenol and it took two hours to work and when it did work I still felt a lot of pain but still not as much as before. Then, I took two Aleve and it completely knocked it out."

Hildie89 November 14, 2017

"I was switched to naproxen for heavy periods due to mefenamic supply problems. I have continued with it as I found it reduced my flow more than mefanmic acid did. In terms of pain Naproxen certainly eases the pain from menstruation cramping but doesn’t eliminate it to a comfortable level and I was having to take regular paracetamol on top. A few months ago I was prescribed buscopan for IBS and my GP advised me to use it for period cramps too. To my surprise the combination of naproxen and buscopan has helped greatly during my period and when I’m ovulating. So I rarely need to stay curled up in bed clutching a hot water bottle like I used to have to do."

Lemmax1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

"I take all types of pain meds but Naproxen doesn't last an hour before my cramps come back. I just took one and it made my cramps worse and I'm like forget naproxen. One pill doesn't do jack."

Toni666 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

"I'm a person where my period usually lasts around 8-10 days & is very heavy and crampy. On average I use about 6 pads a day. My period is also super crampy where my school & my job is used to me missing almost a week. But a little over a year ago a friend of mine had a prescription for naproxen, she let me try it out to see how I liked it since nothing worked for me. I've tried advil, aleve, ibuprofen, tylenol & midol but nothing seemed to work. But let me tell you when I tried naproxen , it was a miracle!!!! it takes under 10 minutes to work for me and it has a long lasting effect. I usually take one pill a day, hardly ever two and it keeps me cramp free the entire day & thats a lot to say considering I used to miss work and school !!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2017

"I have always had severe period cramps, fainting, nausea, and stabbing pains. Naproxen 500 has been the only (non birth control remedy) that greatly relieves my pain. It's tricky because you have to get the timing just right, not too soon before period cramps start or too late after they already started. You must start it the moment you feel cramps. Starting before your period isn't as effective because that's not how this medication works best."

Dee79 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

"Cramps woke me up. Took 500 mg of Naproxen because I was out of advil. It worked in 25 minutes to eliminate all pain."

Anglee45 December 21, 2016

"I've suffered from horrible period cramps my entire life. When I was younger, I would need to be picked up from school and was bed ridden all day. Advil has never helped reduce these cramps, in fact, it made my bleeding heavier. I started taking naproxen after my obgyn recommended it and it really does help to reduce the severity of the cramps. I still get mild cramps the first two days, but I am able to function and perform my daily activities. It works more efficiently if you take it twice a day for a few days leading to your period."

Chris1119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

"I take naproxen to help decrease the blood when I'm on my period taking it 3 times a day 3 days before my period and up to and it works great, I was prescribed by the doctor around a year ago and it's really been helping my periods to become lighter, since I take it for 3 days before my period I don't see any help with period pain and I never knew it could help that so my periods are still as painful as before taking naproxen"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

"Aleve is much more effective for me than Advil. Like everyone else I've been dealing with extremely painful cramps my whole life. I was taking Advil but would always end up throwing up and bent over in excruciating pain, switched to Aleve and at least now I can function during the first three critical days and not stuck in bed throwing up. I still get bad cramps every now and then so it's not perfect but at least Aleve helps me get through it. I usually take two in the morning; two at night. There should be a support group for woman that suffer from severe menstrual cycles. I feel like I'm the only one, but felt better after reading some of the other posts here; I'm not alone in my struggle."

PASF August 7, 2016

"I have very painful cramps, nausea, vomiting, the whole works. When I was younger, I'd have to come home early from school because I took the Advil too late, or was scared to take it at all for fear it would make the pain worse or wouldn't work at all. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. This is the case with all other pain medications I've tried to lessen my period pain. As for my 375 mg, prescription Naproxen, I can say that it worked fabulously the first time I used it. But today is the third time (month) I've used it and I'm in not-to-be-snuffed-at pain. I'm getting by with applied heat. I'm at a loss for what I should do this month and the next month and the next."

Yellowshoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

"I used to just take ibuprofen and that would only take the edge off but I will still be in a lot of pain that I have vomited before and had to go home from work. Then I tried taking ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time, 2 of each every 4 hours which was better but I could still feel the pain. Then someone suggested I try Naproxen and it has honestly changed my life. Now I only need to take 2 the first time and then 1 every 6-8 hours and I am almost totally pain free. I'm just kicking myself I didn't try it 10 years ago. I'm Australian so I just buy it over the counter and it about $20 for a packet."

Lydgiff July 26, 2016

"I really love naproxen and taking it. It is really effective especially with the fact that I get such strong cramps that usually keep me in bed all day. It lets me enjoy activities without worrying about pain and how to make myself feel better. Sometimes my cramps may get so strong that I can feel cramps through it but its almost not so strong but occasionally strong. Naproxen just depends on the amount of pain you get and its always a mystery for me because i can never predict my cramps. But the point is, Naproxen always makes me feel better no matter how strong my cramps are. I recommend people to take it for ease of pain and always use it with food, trust me. I didn't once and it took away the cramps but i got such a weird stomach ache."

some girl July 20, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "Aleve is the only pain killer that really helps. I used to take a double dose of extra strong Midol and it would last me maybe 4 hours. With the Aleve I take 1 every 11-12 hours and I am good for the day."

Ang101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2016

"I'm gonna be honest Naproxen does not help at all for my cramps. I got a IUD to help with the pain a flow of my menstrual cycle, it helped with the flow but not the pain. She prescribe this to me and I still have excruciating pain. Everyone is different"

Naiaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"Been having severe menstrual cramps since I began menstruation. I tried Naproxen (prescribed) in the past and it worked very well. Now, it has no effect what so ever. So far, liquid ibuprofen has been the only thing that helps make the pain manageable."

Plain_Jane321 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"Took two OTC. While it took the edge off the most extreme pain, was still very uncomfortable. I have a very high pain tolerance as I was a professional dancer, and martial artist. What annoys me is that you can't take anymore for 12 hours. Severe pain started coming back after 8 hours. I'd rather go back to my 4-5 Advil every 4 hours than this."

Kiyoko April 2, 2016

Naprelan (naproxen): "Works great for menstrual pain and doesn't hurt my stomach like other naproxen, as long as I take it on a full stomach. I take one and it works all day. Only draw back is the cost, so my doctor stocked me up on samples. Even with insurance it was outrageous."

AussieRab (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016