User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Gout, Acute

"Aleve worked great for my big toe gout. The trick is in the right dose for your situation. Woke up at 2am with burning pain in my big toe. Took 550mg of Aleve and was back to sleep in about 1 hour. Went to 220mg 3x day and feel 95% better. Keep it on hand. You won't be sorry. Oh! And no side effects."

Richkjm (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"I took this medicine for GOUT just prior to a holiday. It reduced the pain of the gout but made my legs feel as if they were made of lead! I did not continue after 3 or 4 tablets as they were affecting my ability to walk successfully."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2016

"Was not happy with result initially as I was following dosage on label. After switching to dosage recommendation found here and elsewhere the change was almost immediate and greatly improved. I get attacks averaging once a year usually brought on during weight loss when I don't keep up with the amount of recommended liquids."

David Logan February 22, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "Well I went to the ER, they diagnosed me with gout. They gave me a prescription that was $45 for 20 pills! Pharmacist told about Aleve. I bought it for $7.99/100 pills. Best choice ever, no regrets"

anritamarie February 21, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "I took aleve during a gout attack. I could not really say that it helped my swelling or the pain. I ended up taking some advil to relieve the pain."

Tampa-rob February 12, 2016

"Swollen and red lower legs, swollen eyelids. Doctor prescribed Naproxen Apo. After couple of uses, swelling was reduced, but got severe stomach cramps. I stopped using it after the second use, yet it bother me day and night for week now. Still experiencing pain in joints, swelling and now the stomach ache."

Libuska September 15, 2015

"You have got to catch the attack in the early stages ,750mg to start and 250 every 8 hours. Mind you I get a really bad stomach with the 750mg dose but it realy does the trick"

mikey 2 September 4, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "like the previous person mention, I'm a strong believer of aleve, it works faster for my gout than the prescription meds I take. No more going to the doctor for refills.....Aleve works!"

Peewee 43 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2015

Naprosyn (naproxen): "Naproxen is the only thing that will make my gout subside when I have an attack."

Skikt22 September 1, 2015

"Wow! Before taking this I couldn't even touch my foot, now I am 95% pain free! Brilliant!"

Hyde13 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2015

"Have been suffering from acute gout attacks for about 6 years. Usually 1 attack per year that requires me to stay off my feet for a day or 2. I have taken Indomethacin, Colchicine and Colcrys with varying degrees of relief and started Allopurinol about 3 months ago. In all my research over the years, I never reviewed Naproxen. The last attack happened about a week ago and I cycled through my last few Colcrys with barely any relief. A trip to Walgreens for Aleve liquigels and about 2 hours later I had ~70% reduction in pain. I've been managing it with a scheduled dose for a few days now and the pain is nearly gone. Still some swelling, but getting better each day. This regimen has been more effective than any prescription medication."

ATLJason November 2, 2014

"3 weeks with gout (June 20th-July 12): had to use a wheelchair before I found Walgreens All Day Pain Relief 220MG, 50 Tablets. Needed 2 pills for first 12 hours and 1 pill every 12 hours. It definitely relieved!"

Furrythings (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): "I don't even go to the foot doctor to refill my gout medicine anymore. Those little green pills are effective but make me feel terrible. Aleve is a tremendously effective medicine for my big toe gout and I DON'T have any side effects from it."

Drakester 64 May 20, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): "I suffer from gout in my feet periodically because I do not take preventative medicines. My last bout I tried Tylenol extra strength first and got no relief. I switched to Aleve gel caps and immediately felt the pain decrease. I am a believer and also an Aleveir, thanks a lot."

im a aleveir May 23, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Feminax Ultra for period pain, in the UK. Gets rid of gout pain immediately within 1 hour. Swelling reduced to nothing in 12 hours. Simply Awesome, can't say anything other than that. "

Sandmeister (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2013

"As a physician and a sufferer of gout I can say without doubt that Naproxen works just as well as Indomethacin. "

Tonymdtoronto February 4, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aleve (naproxen): "Worked very well. Felt the pain intensifying, got the Aleve a few hours later, started with 2 tablets then 1 every 8 hours. Will do this for a few days. Very rapid relief of Gout big toe pain."

Anonymous February 23, 2012

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Aleve works better than anything I've tried. Like other users have stated take 3-4 initially ever 8 hours then reduce to 1-2 ever 8 hours until gout attack is completely gone. It took 1 day to reduce a full-on gout attack to a state where it is barely noticeable. "

TubbyT December 29, 2011

"Stops a gout attack in its tracks, but it is essential to kick off with a large dose (600mg or greater) followed by regular low doses."

EKurtz May 18, 2011

Aleve (naproxen): "Really worked for me. I had significant pain and inflamation of my big toe. Symptoms were getting worse until I took Aleve. Almost immediate (1/2 hr) relief from pain and within one day of use the pain was gone and by the 2nd day the swelling was reduced."

Anonymous February 24, 2010

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"2 OTC naproxen (Aleve) every 8 hours starting with onset of gout attack with pain; then 2 Aleve every 12 hours for 3 days, or until pain is gone; reduce to 1 Aleve every 12 hours as soon as possible. NOTE: This works great for acute control of pain, but be SURE to see your MD about starting you on Allopurinol to markedly reduce chances of getting gout attacks (reduces uric acid excess)."

rbw98465 December 2, 2009

Aleve (naproxen): "At the first sign of Gout I pop two Aleve Liquid Gels. Usually is enough to kill it. I'll sometimes chase it with tylenol arthritis if I wake up in the morning with a full blown attack. Good partial fix if you can't get to the doctor for prednisone or any other gout medication."

bad_gout August 17, 2008

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Used it for 3 days. Ankle swelling and pain now much reduced and can walk properly on left leg. Still some pain in big toe."

Anonymous July 21, 2008