User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Gout, Acute

Aleve (naproxen): "Slight pain reduction. But really not worth noting. It's the colcrys that really nips it in the bud when I feel an attack coming on. I've tried the aleeve a couple times when I didn't have the other media on hand. Just didn't seem to do much. Same for any other Naproxin sodium product."

Mike Mc Mickerson 54398 February 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get gout flares very seldom, my last one was very painful, took naproxen for the first time it worked immediately. I love it."

danny. (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First gout attack 6 mo ago. Very painful, could barely walk. I am 46, active all my life, 200lbs, probably drink too much. My dad also has the disease. On the first occurance, naproxen had little effect even at high doses as is recommended for first onset. Went to the doctor and went to the next level--Indocin. Time and this drug helped. I did not alter my lifestyle. I am currently traveling through the Dominican Republic and woke up with a sore toe. Not nearly as painful as the first attack. Went to the pharmacia and bought some naproxen and took a good high dose (880 mg (go big or go home)). Two hours later, I could probably play football (soccer)...Will continue one tab (220mg) every every 6 to 8 hrs for the next couple of day"

Vanman604 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on crutches all day yesterday, painful as hell, finally out of desperation went researching for any relief from the pain. Found this site and read this forum. While still on crutches went to local Duane Read (NYC), took some pills of Aleve at 12am and promptly passed out. Bottle states, take 2 max. Woke up at 4am, I can actually walk to the bathroom without crutches... it apparently took about 50% of the pain away. Still painful, still hobbling around, but I can walk unassisted! No crutches! Took another aleve pill at 4:30am and 5am, I will be loading up my pickup truck full of video gear which weighs almost 1,000lbs! I am so glad I read this forum. Thanks guys! That really helped out!"

barfman (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get gout in both big toe joints a couple of times per year and have always been to busy to go to the Doctor. I started off having tablets from friends who suffer from gout and tried a few different types that they had been prescribed and always kept on stand-by! The best one I've found (and I've suffered for several years now) was Naproxen. My friends would give me a few pills and they would relieve it every time. Some other NSAIDs did not work at all. After doing a bit of research I discovered that Naproxen is a prescription drug. However, it is contained in Feminax Ultra which is sold over the counter for period pain only. I always keep a pack near me and take 4 pills as soon as I feel it starting. Works every time."

zubstah September 21, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an acute gout attack in my big toe which was extremely painful and started right away with very high doses of Ibuprofen. After 3 days there was little to no change, still very painful, not able to walk and red and swollen. I read about Naproxen on this page and - living in the UK - it is only available in the format of Feminax, which are tablets for period pain relief. Having nothing to lose, I went ahead and bought a pack. I started at 8am with 2 pills (500 mg) which started to relief the pain about 2 hours later. I took the third pill (250 mg) at 4pm. By 7pm I could feel no pain at all. At midnight I took the next pill (8 hours later, again 250 mg) and when I woke up at 7 I had no symptoms left. What a great pill."

Dee72 August 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Aleve worked great for my big toe gout. The trick is in the right dose for your situation. Woke up at 2am with burning pain in my big toe. Took 550mg of Aleve and was back to sleep in about 1 hour. Went to 220mg 3x day and feel 95% better. Keep it on hand. You won't be sorry. Oh! And no side effects."

Richkjm (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medicine for GOUT just prior to a holiday. It reduced the pain of the gout but made my legs feel as if they were made of lead! I did not continue after 3 or 4 tablets as they were affecting my ability to walk successfully."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was not happy with result initially as I was following dosage on label. After switching to dosage recommendation found here and elsewhere the change was almost immediate and greatly improved. I get attacks averaging once a year usually brought on during weight loss when I don't keep up with the amount of recommended liquids."

David Logan February 22, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "Well I went to the ER, they diagnosed me with gout. They gave me a prescription that was $45 for 20 pills! Pharmacist told about Aleve. I bought it for $7.99/100 pills. Best choice ever, no regrets"

anritamarie February 21, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "I took aleve during a gout attack. I could not really say that it helped my swelling or the pain. I ended up taking some advil to relieve the pain."

Tampa-rob February 12, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Swollen and red lower legs, swollen eyelids. Doctor prescribed Naproxen Apo. After couple of uses, swelling was reduced, but got severe stomach cramps. I stopped using it after the second use, yet it bother me day and night for week now. Still experiencing pain in joints, swelling and now the stomach ache."

Libuska September 15, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"You have got to catch the attack in the early stages ,750mg to start and 250 every 8 hours. Mind you I get a really bad stomach with the 750mg dose but it realy does the trick"

mikey 2 September 4, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "like the previous person mention, I'm a strong believer of aleve, it works faster for my gout than the prescription meds I take. No more going to the doctor for refills.....Aleve works!"

Peewee 43 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Naprosyn (naproxen): "Naproxen is the only thing that will make my gout subside when I have an attack."

Skikt22 September 1, 2015

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow! Before taking this I couldn't even touch my foot, now I am 95% pain free! Brilliant!"

Hyde13 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been suffering from acute gout attacks for about 6 years. Usually 1 attack per year that requires me to stay off my feet for a day or 2. I have taken Indomethacin, Colchicine and Colcrys with varying degrees of relief and started Allopurinol about 3 months ago. In all my research over the years, I never reviewed Naproxen. The last attack happened about a week ago and I cycled through my last few Colcrys with barely any relief. A trip to Walgreens for Aleve liquigels and about 2 hours later I had ~70% reduction in pain. I've been managing it with a scheduled dose for a few days now and the pain is nearly gone. Still some swelling, but getting better each day. This regimen has been more effective than any prescription medication."

ATLJason November 2, 2014

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"3 weeks with gout (June 20th-July 12): had to use a wheelchair before I found Walgreens All Day Pain Relief 220MG, 50 Tablets. Needed 2 pills for first 12 hours and 1 pill every 12 hours. It definitely relieved!"

Furrythings (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2014

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "I don't even go to the foot doctor to refill my gout medicine anymore. Those little green pills are effective but make me feel terrible. Aleve is a tremendously effective medicine for my big toe gout and I DON'T have any side effects from it."

Drakester 64 May 20, 2014

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "I suffer from gout in my feet periodically because I do not take preventative medicines. My last bout I tried Tylenol extra strength first and got no relief. I switched to Aleve gel caps and immediately felt the pain decrease. I am a believer and also an Aleveir, thanks a lot."

im a aleveir May 23, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Feminax Ultra for period pain, in the UK. Gets rid of gout pain immediately within 1 hour. Swelling reduced to nothing in 12 hours. Simply Awesome, can't say anything other than that. "

Sandmeister (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2013

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As a physician and a sufferer of gout I can say without doubt that Naproxen works just as well as Indomethacin. "

Tonymdtoronto February 4, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aleve (naproxen): "Worked very well. Felt the pain intensifying, got the Aleve a few hours later, started with 2 tablets then 1 every 8 hours. Will do this for a few days. Very rapid relief of Gout big toe pain."

Anonymous February 23, 2012

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Aleve works better than anything I've tried. Like other users have stated take 3-4 initially ever 8 hours then reduce to 1-2 ever 8 hours until gout attack is completely gone. It took 1 day to reduce a full-on gout attack to a state where it is barely noticeable. "

TubbyT December 29, 2011

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stops a gout attack in its tracks, but it is essential to kick off with a large dose (600mg or greater) followed by regular low doses."

EKurtz May 18, 2011