User Reviews for Naproxen

Also known as: Aflaxen, Aleve, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Leader Naproxen Sodium, Midol Extended Relief, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Naproxen Sodium DS, Pamprin All Day Relief

Learn more about Naproxen.

Naproxen Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Back Pain.

Reviews for Naproxen to treat Back Pain

"Currently taking prescribed Naproxen 500mg twice daily for severe lower back pain. I feel a small amount of relief for a 2 hours and then my back pain is in full force. I felt nauseous and i did eat 20 minutes before taking this medicine, There has to be a better way!"

LisaE2017 August 20, 2016

"I am having severe pain on my right shoulder, radiating to my elbow, and a numbed index finger. I was prescribed 500 mg of naproxen twice daily. It is woefully inadequate. I have been supplementing with tylenol but that still isn't cutting it. This is nof a drug that works for me."

Mnmmmmmmmmmm July 30, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "Not as good as THC but very effective for me. One wants a solution that allows your mind to not constantly be aware of pain. This does the job for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

"I have been suffering acute pain (on scale 1-10 stays between 7-10) due to a fibrolipoma in my lower lumbar. Seems likely I have something called Tethered Cord Syndrome. Was put on naproxen by one doctor and after taking it for a few years was sick of the way it made me feel so I stopped taking it. Noticed that when not taking it I felt just as much pain as when I was taking it, so it was not helping AT ALL. Everyone needs to know that naproxen only works for pain caused by inflammation, it will do nothing for nerve damage, in my experience."

LumbarAgony (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2016

"I've been prescribed it off and on over the last 9 years and it didn't change my pain at all!!!! Ibuprofen works way better then naproxen. Naproxen was like taking a pill that was made of NOTHING!!!!!"

jenlbeatty41 March 2, 2016

Anaprox (naproxen): "Allergic reaction to Anaprox, this is poison I do not understand how the FDA approved this medication that almost kill me. I do not recommend it because of the dangerous side effects and should be taken out of the market. IT IS POISON AND I ONLY TOOK ONE 559 MG IN THE GENERIC FORM ( NAPROXEN )"

encabronao (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): "I have severe scoliosis so my pain is pretty strong most days. My doctor recommended Aleve so I take 2 caplets (440mg) and there is a bit less pain for a few hours. The package says it works for 8-12 hours, but I'm lucky if it stretches out to 5. Takes my pain from a 7 (out of 10) to a 3 or 4. And then I can't drink for another 8 hours which is no fun."

Steeeeve January 3, 2016

Naprosyn (naproxen): "I had been suffering with sciatica for a number of years, when it suddenly worsened. I started getting shooting pains and severe weakness in both of my legs. After one dose of 500mg I was able to sit comfortably and walk without the worry of one of my legs giving out from under me"

feh December 30, 2015

"Nursing student on feet all day, lifting patients. This is the only drug that helps my SI back and hip pain. I keep it with me daily. I would seriously be in trouble with out it."

Mabes69 December 29, 2015

"Naproxen helped to lessen the pain of herniated discs, but I experienced shortness of breath and was only able to get through 10 mins of cardio class. Before Naproxen I would complete 60 - 90 mins of cardio. I stopped the drug immediately, that was 6 months ago and I still have shortness of breath and can't do cardio class at all. this drug should be pulled from the market."

remove market December 16, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "It does absolutely nothing for my pain."

Itsmemom (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "This should be the first thing you take when you realize you have back pain. At the very least this will take the sharp edge off and give you enough time to get to Urgent Care or an immediate doctor appointment. I have noticed that for extended use (2-5 days) the pain symptoms slowly come back, but at least this is something I can buy OTC."

L5-S1 hern/nerve damage (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 4, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "Female 20 years old - I recently started a new job as a cashier. I started to experience pain after having to pick up heavy packs of water bottles and other heavy items. The pain was all in my lower back. I went to visit my chiropractor and that would alleviate the pain until I went back to work. I would rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10; a 7. It was a sharp stabbing pulling pain in my lower back and it even hurt to take a deep breath. Today was the first day I took Aleve when I went to work and my back pain was almost completely gone. I was able to move around without being uncomfortable. I am extremely satisfied with the results."

Kris1369 November 27, 2015

"I was proscribed 500mg tablets to help with a sprained lumbar. The pharmacist told me that at worst i would experience indigestion, and it should not be combined with other pain medication or else I'd deal with internal bleeding. What i wasn't ready for was crippling fatigue, vision impairment, nausea, urine darkening, cold sweats, and my back pain getting even worse. I looked up the side effects that the pharmacist didn't mention and found then listed under the Uncommon and Rare side effects, which means I'm just unlucky."

Young Back Pain (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "I started taking this per my Doctor instead of Tylenol for lower back pain. I had stomach issues.. could not eat, vomited, severe itching on the legs and armsI "

catlover82001 October 28, 2015

"I am pretty sure this medication is just acid in pill form. And not the fun kind either. No. I took this medication for severe arthritis and fybromialgia and 15 minutes later my whole esophogus feels like it's on fire. I took the medication with food as prescribed and still this is the worst heartburn I have ever had in my life. I used to have severe ulcers, and I know when a medication is burning my stomach lining. No sir. No more ulcers for me thank you. I also had the alarming sensation of hearing everything while under water. I spent the whole week asking people to repeat themselves because their voices sounded muffled. That with severe ringing in the ears and persistent nausea-I quit this medication after a week."

Smbell81 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "Male - 33years old. Excruciating pain in lower SI region of my back following an aggressive 30 mile bick ride and a few days of surfing. Woke up the next morning with shooting pain in low back which progressed to shooting pains running down my glutes and referred pain to the hip flexor region. For two weeks this was extremely painful and did not subside even w/ ice applications and finally chiropractic visits 5 total and lots of Advil. Per the suggestion of my wife I tried aleve (2 pills for first dose and 1 pill each dose after that. After 2 pills I noticed a HUGE difference and significantly reduced pain as well as better range of motion as inflammation had gone down. I highly recommend for anyone with back pain as it really helped me!"

Nick T (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

"I have been suffering from back and shoulder pain non stop for 8 months now. Was prescribed narcotics which made me feel horrible. Took naproxen before bed and I had the best night sleep I've had in about a year. Worked great for me!"

Sound Sleeper September 27, 2015

"I've had sciatica pain for the past few days. Tried Tylenol 3, Advil and regular Tylenol with codeine. Nothing worked so I tried Aleve. Took 1 the first day and didn't feel a difference at all. Got brave and took 2 today, even though these are supposed to last 12 hours and it didn't feel any different. Personally speaking this medicine is a waste of money and doesn't work at all. This is a medicine that works especially on muscle pain and I felt no difference period. I do not recommend this to anyone. Go to your doctor and get something prescribed."

Shalom73 September 19, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "I took two aleve and my back pain hasn't even lessened. Still hurts the same after 4 hours and it's supposed to work for 8-12 hours."

Karla Red September 1, 2015

"I've had spinal stenosis in my lumbar area with resultant localized and sciatic pain for over thirty years now (just turned 70...decided I was getting to be way too old to be a junkie...got addicted to opiates 25 years ago). After the VA helped me through opiate-replacement therapy, I got off even the Suboxone two months ago. Clean the first time in 30 years. I take Naproxen as needed, but think I need to be on a regular daily twice-a-day dose of 500mg Naproxen to keep the low back pain down. I must be a real wuss! I read all the entries above about people nearly vomiting or passing out from the pain! My own pain is nowhere NEAR that level but I HATE pain of any kind, so try to avoid even aching low back. Naproxen helps."

Thomas C August 25, 2015

"Prescribed 750mg per day for horrendous sciatica - the effect was no better than taking smarties. 5 months later MRI scan has confirmed it was in fact a herniated disc. I ended up on 240mg per day of codeine and eventually ended up on amitriptyline too to treat 10 days and nights of extortionate pain. 5 months later don't experience a lot of pain but still have numbness in foot and difficulty walking"

Buggered disc (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "I don't know what I did but whenever I jumped on the trampoline with my kids, I was experiencing some weird pain in my upper back. I put some a535 on my back. That didn't help. The next day it still hurt!! Then I took two aleve pills and the next morning I was ok. And I continued this way for a few days and my back was all better!!! Thanks aleve! "

That gal with a bad back (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "Have bulging disc at l-1 ,spinal stenosis at t-10-11 ,c-6-7,didn't want to take narcotics. Have been taking Aleve for 7 days, excellent relief. Hope it lasts."

mike j. (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): "Best one out there."

KJMason February 4, 2015