User Reviews for Naproxen to treat Headache

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, EC-Naprosyn, Midol Extended Relief, Flanax Pain Reliever, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Pamprin All Day Relief, Aflaxen, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief …show all brand names

Naproxen has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Headache. 72% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Naproxen Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 228 medications used in the treatment of Headache.

Reviews for Naproxen

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2013

“I was prescribed naproxen by my neurologist for menstrual migraines that left me debilitated every month with severe vomiting. I now take 500mg each morning and night a few days before my period is due. I started taking this preventative treatment of naproxen six months ago. I still get headaches and occasional migraines but they are less severe and I have no vomiting. Before taking Naproxen I was having at least three days off work each month. I haven't had any time off since starting the tablets - really have improved my quality of life.”

Vicky11 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2016

“Suffer from severe headache and usually no medicine works- but by chance on holiday I had one of these that belongs to my mum and I couldn't believe how quickly it disappeared as soon as I feel a migraine coming on I take naproxen now and it goes quickly”

C.Leblanc August 29, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): “Wow has this changed my life. I was a long time sufferer of migraines and headaches. Advil and tynelols are like candy to me now and don't do a thing to relief pain. Even heavy prescribed migraine drugs by my doctor did not work as much as Aleve does! It is simply, for my part, miraculous! It works 99.9% of the time. It works to prevent a headache when I feel it coming. It also works to break the headache or migraine when it is already ongoing and painful. And most of the time, a single pill works. I have to say I really hope my body doesn't come used to Aleve and therefore making it less effective. So far, after a little more than a year taking Aleve, it still is perfectly effective in my case. Don't hesitate to try!”

Georgiema April 15, 2016

“Third month on naproxen and can't believe how much it has changed my life. I use to suffer with migraines and tension headaches a week before my period lasting throughout my period leaving me in incruciating pain since taking naproxen my headache pain has reduced by 80%”

DTaggart August 9, 2016

“I'm 40 and have been a long life sufferer of migraines especially 3/4 days before my period. My migraines would last 4/5 days with the first day not able to function at all. I will be looking for a cool, dark and quite room to lay my body in and not to speak.. Since I was prescribed Naproxen 250 mg, I started taking 2 just as I start feeling a tingle of it coming. It doesn't stop it all together, but it eases it. It made my life a lot better. I get a lot less episodes of migraine that don't last long. I also made a change in my life style. I make sure I avoid stress when I can, I do take at least a day when I don't do anything but chill, not even housework. My diet has always been very healthy and balanced so I know it's not it's not that.”

Marilou S November 1, 2015

“I have been using this drug for 2 years now. Every time I feel like I am starting a migraine, I take one pill and it kills it in no time. I have not gotten a single episode of migraine since I started to take this pill. It is magical. I used to have really bad migraines that made me vomit.”

Awesome Possum · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2013

“I have recently started using naproxen (prescription) for my migraines. I generally get migraines during my menstrual cycle and the doctor recommended taking naproxen (500 mg) every 12 hrs of that special week and so far it seems to be working. On other random days if I feel the slightest hinkling of a migraine coming on I take one naproxen and it seems to keep the migraine at bay. Naproxen has helped me have more control over my migraines, the odd time I still have to take a migraine pill such as Zomig.”

chinpdx June 30, 2013

“I have my headaches mostly under control with Vivactil. But I do occasionally feel one coming on and for that I am now taking naproxen. Used to take Vicodin. No more. I went from almost daily killer headaches to an occasional now and so far, one naproxen has worked.”

Elise48 July 25, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): “My head and base of the neck started hurting three days ago. The pain also moved from place to place and so abnormal that I scheduled a doctor's appointment...for next week. This pain even made my "hair" hurt. Felt like spots in the central back part of my head had been "bruised" and again, the pain location changed from the back center of head to my upper neck to the back of ears and then to the top. Prescription pain medicine left over from a surgery didn't help. Last night I took 3 Aleve out of desperation. Fell asleep and woke up a few hours later feeling much, much better. Will still see my doctor but won't be a crazy person by the time I get there.”

kd5192 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2021

“THE ONLY DRUG THAT HELPS ANY PAIN I HAVE IN MY BODY! From migraines to severe period cramps. Naproxen 500mg twice a day (sometimes I even do three times a day) is seriously the only thing that saves me! If the pain is that bad, I will take a Tylenol with it, but normally it does the trick on its own.”

RojasBU January 9, 2016

“For the very first time EVER a medication worked for my migraine. My carrier would not cover the originally prescribed medication, so dr ordered naproxen and sumatriptan. I took it , not expecting much but I was wrong. My migraine felt like day 3 of a migraine. I could not believe it. I have had migraines for over 30 yrs and nothing has ever ever made any difference. I carry them both with me everywhere!”

MsEgy · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2015

“I was suffering from the common cold and had symptoms of dry cough, congested sinus, large headache, slight ear pain, sore throat, and muscle pain in my knees and gleutus maximus. I couldn't eat anything either and at times felt like vomiting. Also, I would wake up in the middle of sleeping, mumbling from my symptoms and pain. And, I would sleep long hours, and no sleep is enough for me. Taking naproxen 220 mg and sleeping that night, I felt 10 times better. The headache was gone, and so was the muscle pain. I slept good that night. I feel like I could do the usual tasks (including eating) now.”

Dee247 May 25, 2013

“I suffered severe and excruciating pain, sensitiveness to light, nausea, vomiting cold sweats every morning due to migraines. I tried almost every pain medicine in the book and only found relief when the Dr. prescribed Naprosyn, I can't remember the dosage, sorry. But it was a 12 hour pill so I was able to take it at night and not have to wait 20 minutes of pain like other medicines to kick in. it really was a God send for me!”

Tryingtolove22 · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

Aleve (naproxen): “I purchased liquid capsules Aleve for a headache. I took 2 and I didn't experience any relief at all over a 10 hour period. The pills are very large, but the gel capsule made swallowing easier. I wouldn't purchase these again.”

staloine66 · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

“500mg of prescription Naproxen stopped my daily migraines. I had been taking over the counter meds non stop all day to try and control them, and I was getting no where. I had been spending about $60 per month or more on useless tylenol rapid release or advil liquid gels. I really think they are just a placebo to get people to spend money. My headaches would get so bad I'd throw up or have to go to the emergency. This drug is a miracle for me. I strongly recommend asking your dr for a prescription if OTC meds don't help you either.”

1_kat_ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “Took 3 Aleve liqued gels within 2 hrs and it progressive made my headache worse and I had an event to go to later that evening too. Not very reliable. Advil works more effectively even if I have to take 3+”

Bassie · Taken for 10 years or more December 21, 2019

“Naproxen works well for my migraines. I always eat something or take it with milk to protect my stomach. If my migraine has progressed to me vomiting, I need to take maxalon and then wait for 30 mins to an hour, then I take naproxen (750mg) this knocks out the migraine pretty quickly for me, I will just feel pretty washed out for the rest of the day.”

Gg · Taken for 10 years or more May 15, 2020

“I have taken Naproxen for 31 years. Have to protect my stomach. Went to doctors, trials etc. Had daily headaches and high SED rate. I am praying my stomach and heart will be okay. I would not have been able to work and live a full life without it. I do take a prescription. You must take it on a full stomach and with Prilosec.”

Adamrocks84 · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2017

“I was just prescribed naproxen 500 mg for degenerative arthritis. It really takes the pain away from the arthritis but it also works for my wife who gets occasional menstrual headaches, migraines and seasonal allergy sinus headaches. She also takes vistaril for allergies but it doesn't get rid of the headaches. Me personally, only Excedrin migraine extra strength...but that might be the caffeine lol”

Edwin Diaz February 25, 2020

“I get headaches after I take naproxen 500mg it helps me with my carpal tunnel syndrome but those headaches start kicking in once I take 1 naproxen, tried cutting in half but yet again get those headaches.”

Anonymous August 18, 2008

“This is a great drug. It is fast acting and effective. I get severe migraines and this drug works really well. It stops it in its tracks, which a blessing to me as some of my migraines last 3 days.”

ang2 June 26, 2008

“Take one Naproxen 500 for severe sinus headaches. Within 20 minutes you are back to normal. The best drug ever invented!”

Southrn Bell July 13, 2013

“I was prescribed Naproxen for menstral cramps due to Endometriosis, but it works wonders on headaches!”

NanaBecky March 8, 2008

Naprelan (naproxen): “I have TMJ and it was causing severe headaches. I was given Naprelan to take down the inflammation in my jaw. Within two days I was feeling much better and could even open my mouth wider.”

Anonymous August 20, 2011

Aleve (naproxen): “Caused vomiting and gave me worst headache.”