User Reviews for Naproxen to treat Sciatica

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, EC-Naprosyn, Flanax Pain Reliever, Pamprin All Day Relief, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Aflaxen, Midol Extended Relief, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief

Naproxen has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Sciatica. 49% of those users who reviewed Naproxen reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Naproxen Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Sciatica.

Reviews for Naproxen

AG · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2021

“Took for about 6 weeks, did nothing except give me tinnitus, 8 months after stopping this drug and my ears are still ringing.”

Scooter · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 20, 2021

“Naproxen doesn't even touch the pain. I use flexeril for muscles and Neurontin for the pain.”

Dodo · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2021

Aleve (naproxen): “Took Aleve 3 hours ago and still in pain. On blood thinner so I can't take more. No relief”

Leon Saper · Taken for 10 years or more May 2, 2012

Aleve (naproxen): “When I have sciatica pain in my hip I quickly eat something (protein bar often works), take two Aleve, then lay down on the floor and put my legs up on a chair. Sometimes I put an ice pack on the area also, and I lay there for 10-20 minutes and the pain almost always subsides. Then I make sure to stretch a bit so the pain doesn't return when the Aleve wears off. Aleve works GREAT when I'm in pain, but don't forget how vital it is to stretch and exercise also. ”

Maili · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): “Unbelievable! After suffering everyday with sciatica nerve pain, losing sleep, falling into depression, I tried one pill, Aleve. Nothing else I tried worked. Aleve did exactly what my body needed to get relief from pain and inflammation. I didn't want a narcotic, no. I will continue to take Aleve for a week to be sure that all traces of sciatica and inflammation are completely gone.”

Daisy304 October 7, 2013

Aleve (naproxen): “Unbelievable searing pain down the right side of my right leg always first thing in the morning after getting out of bed. I quickly take two Aleve with a glass of milk and wait for the pain to subside which usually takes about forty five minutes. I am then fine for the rest of the day. I also do yoga exercises later in the day which helps.”

MadMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

“26 years US army, then 10 years civilian working in middle east, active with kids camping travel. BUT upon retiring at 56 years young suddenly the sciatic nerve issue, pain, pain, pain and did I mention PAIN?? Doc started me on 1 pill a day of naproxen, and just like a bunch of the posts on here I was skeptical to the point of laughter................Guess what after taking three days the pain subsided..... and after 6 months it was, and two year later still is, GONE...”

BAD_BA May 6, 2014

Naprosyn (naproxen): “This was my last chance to get relief, my dr had advised that if we couldn't get the nerve to relax, surgery was the next option. The medication helped, the only thing I would only take this at bed time. This medication is very strong and makes you very sleepy, but it really does work. I only had to use it for a short time. I will not take any thing longer than a month and only when I have to.”

Smw · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “I have been taking Ibuprofen for years but only helped a little I saw commercial for Aleve and thought I would try What a difference in my back pain and sciatica. It even took down the inflammation in my hands”

Yogivino · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “I took 2 pills (220mg each) in the morning and it may take 1-2 hour before the pain is completely gone. I've sciatica on my right leg from lower back down to the bottom of my feet. Tickling & numbness besides the pain each morning. First thing I did was taking 2 pills immediately. I also practice yoga regularly..., I'm so grateful to discover Aleve for sciatica! Will take it as long as my sciatica is here...”

Lansingite November 18, 2009

Aleve (naproxen): “A surgeon recommended that I have a procedure to deal with the effects of several ruptured disks in my lower back. I prefer to put off the surgery for as long as I can, and use Aleve on an almost daily basis. It works just fine for me, and I only have an incident about every 1.5 years, and usually because I overdo the yard work. When it gets very bad, I supplement with an anti spasmodic drug for a few days.”

sissie69 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “For several years I took Bayer Back & Body for my chronic back/sciatica pain (2 tabs, 2x day). I found very little relief. I recently started taking Aleve Back & Muscle Pain..This is my third day using Aleve Back & Muscle Pain...What a difference in just 3 days!!! I take 1 tab in the morning and it last all day!! The pain/burning sensation in my back/leg has reduced sufficiently. Thank You Aleve!!!”

Anonymous March 24, 2009

Naprelan (naproxen): “I am currently taking Celebrex and Prednisone for my Sciatica, 12 days now and no relief. Desperate for pain relief I took 1 naproxen 500mg. Thank God I did. The pill is a little hard to swallow, and it may make you a little nauseous but it will definitely ease the pain and will allow you to get some much needed sleep.”

oldgroom · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

“Have had Naproxen before and it was useless for sciatica pain. Used diclofenac and it was great but now I am 64 doctor won't prescribe it and has given me Naproxen and said to take paracetamol - I am now on my 2nd week of agony and can't stand up straight or walk far.”

Anonymous May 27, 2012

“At first I took Ibuprofen but that does nothing for Sciatica. I went to the doctor because I could not walk and our physician said that Ibuprofen doesn't work for this, Naproxen does. So about 500 mg and wow, it's fantastic. Take it with buttermilk, yogurt, or a yogurt drink to keep your stomach in good shape.”

Kara · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

“Prescribed 500mg twice a day of naproxen along with codeine and oramorph for my first sciatic episode. I stopped the oramorph after a couple of days as I hated the way it made me feel and the codeine lasted about 5 days. Now had 5 days of just the naproxen. The pain is unbearable in the morning and don't know if the pain goes to a manageable level because I start to move or because my morning dose has kicked in. I'm getting some weird side effects like numb fingers and bad stomach pains so I don't know if i should quit taking the drug to see if i still need it or not?”

j.paul C. June 1, 2013

“I have had very big problems. Been taking Norco and muscle relaxers. I stopped taking the Norcos..didn't help! I went to the ER and was given naproxen and soma. Thank you. After two 500mg pills and 1 day of taking them, I can move. No pain in my hip and I can work. ”

y0man January 19, 2011

“I recently acquired sciatica and it is painful at times. Usually at the end of the day after walking. I started a new job that has stairs everywhere (along with elevators) Using the stairs everyday seems to have helped it (hanging on to the rails). But, the Naproxen twice a day is helping me to use the stairs. Naproxen once a day wasn't cutting it. Just one floor at a time, then the elevator. I'm convinced that the inflammation is the culprit as it causes tendons to become sticky and grind tendons against muscles when moving causing pain incrementally as the day progresses. I had a motorcycle accident and landed hard on my toosh.”

LamarrG April 4, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “Had been on prescription strength Naproxen for 6 days before I decided I didn't feel a benefit. Took nothing for 2 days and then bought Aleve 220 mg per pill and took 2. Not sure what the difference was but have noticed more relief from the constant discomfort while walking.”

limp it · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2015

“I'd had sciatica for 6 weeks before doctor prescribe naproxen 250mg twice a day have been taking for two weeks cant say much relief for things like walking but a little for when at rest and can now at least sleep on affected side”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2015

“Sciatica almost stop me from my passion. Dancing has been my life's dream. Taking 1 or 2 Naprosyn has helped me so much. Even after reading all the side affects I was scared to take it but the pain was unbearable. After taking 3 different meds this is the one that works for me”

Music Lady June 20, 2016

“Was originally given naproxen for dental pain. but didnt use it all, I read leaflet and saw it helps nerve pain as my sciatica flared up again now lasting ten weeks onwards. I took one yesterday and one today and its eased quite a bit. My worse time is when I get up am hobbling around on one leg until nerve settles. still get the pins needles in foot and leg, but the naproxin seems to ease the actual pain and relax the nerves. It does not make the pain go but just relaxes it. It works for some and not for others but guess same with all medicines. I have tried to manage without pain killers and didnt want to end up reliant on them. but its that or having severe pain 24.7. London Uk dont pay for meds covered via other conditions.”

BritCrit · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2018

“Sciatica pain was severe and switched from ibuprofen Advil to naproxen Aleve and found absolutely no difference whatsoever. Excruciating pain never subsided and barely took the edge off. Am now trying AC&C which has always worked as a pain killer for me probably due to the mix if Aspirin Caffeine and Codeine. I have read that sciatica does not necessarily need an anti inflammatory. At least I slept 5 hours straight on AC&C”

Bertiedette · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2016

“Post operational sciatica after pelvic. Floor repair I have been taking two 500mg tablet twice daily. It has been marvellous can barely feel any pain. I take warfarin so really careful to take 20mgs of omprazole in the morning. No side effects after two days. First time that I have taken Naproxen .I hope if ever I need this type of relief that my GP will Prescribe again. Cannot praise enough.”

KPNUT · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2015

“I've taken two doses of Naproven 500mg,, one yesterday evening and one this morning. I've had no side effects but no pain relief either. I'm getting depressed with having to put up with this debilitating pain.”

JaLee · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2017

“Had sciatica since December. I was prescribed Naproxen 500g twice a week but didn't want to take any meds. It went well but 15th May it flared up to a point I couldn't stay stand, seat, lay without excrutiating pain. I started taking pain killers I had at home when I get my period AKA Tesco's 30p and 60p: 200 Ibuprofen, Patacetamol 500, Paracetamol Extra 500 (with caffeine) and Extra Power Pain Control 500 (Parancetamol/Aspirin/Cafeine). I try to go 3 days paracetamols then 5 Ibuprofen with 1 day with no med in between. After 4 crippling weeks at home I finally managed to walk to a pharmacy to buy Naproxen. I have been taking it for a week. No relief. The Tesco meds were more effective at easing the pain. Naproxen do not work for me at all”

POP Dolly September 16, 2017

“2 Weeks ago I developed severe lower back pain, I went to my chiropractor for 2 treatments thinking this would solve the problem, was out of action for a week. Then it flared up again just when I thought it was gone. I am supposed to be starting a new job on Monday, but woke up Saturday morning in severe pain down my left leg, throbbing burning pain, and my ankle and foot had no feeling..... so all I have is a tablet called INZA and paracetemol, I can't drive the manual car to the doctor to get an injection as I can't even walk properly and have no feeling in the leg. I'm seeing the physio on Monday, I wonder if this will help as they do work the muscles which might help the disk go back to normal, is this going to be a life long problem?”

Vixmum · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): “Aleve heavily advertised for 12 hour pain relief. Also recommended by a friend. Tried as desperate for all day pain relief from sciatic nerve. No effect whatsoever, persevered for a week, no relief, even with recommended stretching.”

Learn more about Sciatica