User Reviews for Naproxen to treat Sciatica

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, Flanax Pain Reliever, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Pamprin All Day Relief, EC-Naprosyn, Aflaxen, Midol Extended Relief, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief

Naproxen Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Sciatica.

Reviews for Naproxen

MadMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

“26 years US army, then 10 years civilian working in middle east, active with kids camping travel. BUT upon retiring at 56 years young suddenly the sciatic nerve issue, pain, pain, pain and did I mention PAIN?? Doc started me on 1 pill a day of naproxen, and just like a bunch of the posts on here I was skeptical to the point of laughter................Guess what after taking three days the pain subsided..... and after 6 months it was, and two year later still is, GONE...”

Anonymous August 24, 2019

“Pointless doesn’t touch pain”

Kara · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

“Prescribed 500mg twice a day of naproxen along with codeine and oramorph for my first sciatic episode. I stopped the oramorph after a couple of days as I hated the way it made me feel and the codeine lasted about 5 days. Now had 5 days of just the naproxen. The pain is unbearable in the morning and don't know if the pain goes to a manageable level because I start to move or because my morning dose has kicked in. I'm getting some weird side effects like numb fingers and bad stomach pains so I don't know if i should quit taking the drug to see if i still need it or not?”

Smily · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2018

“Please be aware cause extreme bleeding inside your body do not take unless I absolutely have to does not even help with pain like it's supposed to”

Smw · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “I have been taking Ibuprofen for years but only helped a little I saw commercial for Aleve and thought I would try What a difference in my back pain and sciatica. It even took down the inflammation in my hands”

BritCrit · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2018

“Sciatica pain was severe and switched from ibuprofen Advil to naproxen Aleve and found absolutely no difference whatsoever. Excruciating pain never subsided and barely took the edge off. Am now trying AC&C which has always worked as a pain killer for me probably due to the mix if Aspirin Caffeine and Codeine. I have read that sciatica does not necessarily need an anti inflammatory. At least I slept 5 hours straight on AC&C”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2018

“Took 1 tablet each night for ten days. Dealt with pain, occasionally felt nausea, last night felt pain all over, from head to toe and red blood blister appeared on arm, plus skin sore to touch.”

sissie69 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “For several years I took Bayer Back & Body for my chronic back/sciatica pain (2 tabs, 2x day). I found very little relief. I recently started taking Aleve Back & Muscle Pain..This is my third day using Aleve Back & Muscle Pain...What a difference in just 3 days!!! I take 1 tab in the morning and it last all day!! The pain/burning sensation in my back/leg has reduced sufficiently. Thank You Aleve!!!”

POP Dolly September 16, 2017

“2 Weeks ago I developed severe lower back pain, I went to my chiropractor for 2 treatments thinking this would solve the problem, was out of action for a week. Then it flared up again just when I thought it was gone. I am supposed to be starting a new job on Monday, but woke up Saturday morning in severe pain down my left leg, throbbing burning pain, and my ankle and foot had no feeling..... so all I have is a tablet called INZA and paracetemol, I can't drive the manual car to the doctor to get an injection as I can't even walk properly and have no feeling in the leg. I'm seeing the physio on Monday, I wonder if this will help as they do work the muscles which might help the disk go back to normal, is this going to be a life long problem?”

JaLee · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2017

“Had sciatica since December. I was prescribed Naproxen 500g twice a week but didn't want to take any meds. It went well but 15th May it flared up to a point I couldn't stay stand, seat, lay without excrutiating pain. I started taking pain killers I had at home when I get my period AKA Tesco's 30p and 60p: 200 Ibuprofen, Patacetamol 500, Paracetamol Extra 500 (with caffeine) and Extra Power Pain Control 500 (Parancetamol/Aspirin/Cafeine). I try to go 3 days paracetamols then 5 Ibuprofen with 1 day with no med in between. After 4 crippling weeks at home I finally managed to walk to a pharmacy to buy Naproxen. I have been taking it for a week. No relief. The Tesco meds were more effective at easing the pain. Naproxen do not work for me at all”

Yogivino · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “I took 2 pills (220mg each) in the morning and it may take 1-2 hour before the pain is completely gone. I've sciatica on my right leg from lower back down to the bottom of my feet. Tickling & numbness besides the pain each morning. First thing I did was taking 2 pills immediately. I also practice yoga regularly..., I'm so grateful to discover Aleve for sciatica! Will take it as long as my sciatica is here...”

JSF130 · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “Save your money. Might as well take a baby aspirin. Extra strength Advil Liquid Gels, or Tylenol Arthritis work 10 times better.”

Music Lady June 20, 2016

“Was originally given naproxen for dental pain. but didnt use it all, I read leaflet and saw it helps nerve pain as my sciatica flared up again now lasting ten weeks onwards. I took one yesterday and one today and its eased quite a bit. My worse time is when I get up am hobbling around on one leg until nerve settles. still get the pins needles in foot and leg, but the naproxin seems to ease the actual pain and relax the nerves. It does not make the pain go but just relaxes it. It works for some and not for others but guess same with all medicines. I have tried to manage without pain killers and didnt want to end up reliant on them. but its that or having severe pain 24.7. London Uk dont pay for meds covered via other conditions.”

Bertiedette · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2016

“Post operational sciatica after pelvic. Floor repair I have been taking two 500mg tablet twice daily. It has been marvellous can barely feel any pain. I take warfarin so really careful to take 20mgs of omprazole in the morning. No side effects after two days. First time that I have taken Naproxen .I hope if ever I need this type of relief that my GP will Prescribe again. Cannot praise enough.”

Nahidxy · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2016

“Have some serious side effects. Please google a little bit before using. In my case i had upset stomach. Stopped after 3 days of use”

LamarrG April 4, 2016

Aleve (naproxen): “Had been on prescription strength Naproxen for 6 days before I decided I didn't feel a benefit. Took nothing for 2 days and then bought Aleve 220 mg per pill and took 2. Not sure what the difference was but have noticed more relief from the constant discomfort while walking.”

edwardsferris April 2, 2016

“Been on straight codeine 7 years 12 daily just came a habit. In the end til today I crunched up bad enuough to almost drop my 3month old baby...hubby had to come home from work practically lift me in the car to the docs...ended up gtn a cordisone injection plus norflex and naproxen omg am so relaxed right now first time in years.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2016

“Started with constant diarrhoea after taking Naproxen for 4weeks. Had a Colonoscopy and samples taken showed early stages of Microscopic Colitis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Not happy.”

Vixmum · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): “Aleve heavily advertised for 12 hour pain relief. Also recommended by a friend. Tried as desperate for all day pain relief from sciatic nerve. No effect whatsoever, persevered for a week, no relief, even with recommended stretching.”

KYDERIA December 6, 2015

“I have been taking naproxen on and off for years.Usually for back pain.It is the best treatment I have received .After 3 weeks of sciatica I started taking it again.This time it has helped,but I have a funny taste in my mouth and my mouth feels sore,my lips are slightly swollen as well.I will leave it off for a while and see if it feels better. I have anaphylaxis if I eat gelatine, does anyone know if it contains any?.”

Lindajmmmmmmm October 23, 2015

“Don't feel any difference with this medication 2 tablets 1 in morning 1 at night doesn't work for me at all 250mg”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2015

“Sciatica almost stop me from my passion. Dancing has been my life's dream. Taking 1 or 2 Naprosyn has helped me so much. Even after reading all the side affects I was scared to take it but the pain was unbearable. After taking 3 different meds this is the one that works for me”

limp it · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2015

“I'd had sciatica for 6 weeks before doctor prescribe naproxen 250mg twice a day have been taking for two weeks cant say much relief for things like walking but a little for when at rest and can now at least sleep on affected side”

KPNUT · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2015

“I've taken two doses of Naproven 500mg,, one yesterday evening and one this morning. I've had no side effects but no pain relief either. I'm getting depressed with having to put up with this debilitating pain.”

Maili · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2014

Aleve (naproxen): “Unbelievable! After suffering everyday with sciatica nerve pain, losing sleep, falling into depression, I tried one pill, Aleve. Nothing else I tried worked. Aleve did exactly what my body needed to get relief from pain and inflammation. I didn't want a narcotic, no. I will continue to take Aleve for a week to be sure that all traces of sciatica and inflammation are completely gone.”

Learn more about Sciatica

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)