User Reviews for Naproxen to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Also known as: Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naproxen Sodium DS, Anaprox-DS, Naprelan, EC-Naprosyn, Midol Extended Relief, Flanax Pain Reliever, Comfort Pac with Naproxen, Pamprin All Day Relief, Aflaxen, All Day Pain Relief All Day Relief …show all brand names

Naproxen has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Naproxen Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Naproxen

Fini · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

Aleve (naproxen): “I was prescribed by my Rheumy to take Sulfasalazine 500 mg tab 4 times a day since October 2018, when I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have also taken Naproxen 375mg as needed. I’m a 72 years old woman still working full time in front of a computer all day and sometimes my back and neck pain is unbearable. The only thing that reduces my pain is taking Aleve gels before I leave for work as Sulfasalazine nor Naproxen have done enough.”

Pud · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2018

Aleve (naproxen): “I have AS and have been in a flare up for about a week now. Hurting from my pelvis to my feet, it was causing extreme difficulty with walking. Haven’t wanted people to notice the few times I’ve had to get out of the house so would walk decently with excruciating pain. My feet have been hurting everywhere, with painful throbbing and stabbing pain with every step. I have been feeling “shocks” in my left hip area with my steps, almost sending me to the floor at times. Last night, after I got in bed, the throbbing pain was keeping me awake so I got up and took two Aleve gel tabs. Within 30 min, while lying in bed, I noticed the throbbing had stopped. Upon awakening and standing I was much better. I could not believe the difference in my gait with my pain level dropping significantly today. I feel so much better now! Thank goodness”

Anonymous October 4, 2016

“Took Naproxen 500mg twice a day for four days, then ended up in an ambulance on-route to A&E department. Naproxen also gave me a serious heart problem, I now attend the heart failure clinic, and the ENT department for tinnitus. I am a UK citizen based in the UK. I regret taking them.”

Christie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“Take 500mg Naproxen 2x a day which doesn’t do much of anything for my Ankylos Spondylitis. Ridiculous that it’s even recommended as part of AS treatment! On a side note as a woman it slows mensuration down to a trickle making mensuration last even longer which is extremely fricking annoying especially with AS!”

Jeremicade April 26, 2012

Leader Naproxen Sodium (naproxen): “I too have Ankylosing Spondylitis and it started when I was only 19. The flares of inflammation were 6 months apart in the first couple years. When I got my first bad flare though I thought I was going to die. Finally after a month of not being able to move, sit-up, walk, or lay on anything but my side. I finally got out the walker and made it down the stairs although in excruciating hip pain. Felt like knives were being stabbed into my sciatic nerve. I then realized after I went to the emergency room that an NSAID was to thank for my relief! Thank you Naproxen.”

kitty sue January 9, 2010

“I had anterior cervical corpectomy 3 weeks ago, in pain constantly, don't want to get addicted to harder drugs so I am trying this, has helped immensely. Will continue, now can get a good nights sleep pain free, try it.”

Taz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2019

“I was diagnosed with AS in the summer a year ago. Prescribed naproxen- 1000mg per day, I take it first thing on the morning. [Should really take it in the morning] calms the pain to a dull ache rather than pain, can absolutely tell it’s working - reduces the pain, but not the constant chronic ache ... I’d be lost without it tho ”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 8, 2012

Aleve (naproxen): “Works very well for back pain especially when it also affects the surrounding muscles. But, you should always take it after a meal as it can cause serious stomach pain.”

Jared123456 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2015

Naprosyn (naproxen): “I can tell it's working! When ever I take the medication my pain reduces from like a 6 to a 4 which is awesome!!”

CA · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2018

“Late life diagnosis of AS (6 months ago) - part of my cervical spine is already fused. Taking 1000 mg a day (500/twice a day) has helped a lot. I drink a lot of water and always take it with food.”

Anonymous December 7, 2008

“It was great help. Thanks”

jonhb May 6, 2015

Aleve (naproxen): “I tired Aleve. It works to some extent for a few hours but it stops. I get better and longer lasting results with Advil liqui-gels for arthritis.”

Learn more about Ankylosing Spondylitis