User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Somatoform Pain Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,560 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "This drug caused the most horrifying experience of my life. 7:30 pm I took one 37.5 mg pill. 11:30 was horrible. I was vomiting and diarrhea. Pupils were dilated. Wasn't sure if I was real or where I was or what was happening. Phoned mom and an ambulance and taken to the hospital. After tests done was sent to the wait area and became tired because I had 1 mg of Ativan. After 6 hours went home to sleep. Then the real nightmare begin. Woke up at noon to complete hallucinations. Didn't know what was real and I was actually hallucinating this time. There were colors everywhere. Like a drug trip and been on those before but this was not the same. This was much more intense. Pupils were dilated so much couldn't see the color of my eyes. Sweating profusely and was getting chills over my entire body. Got to bottom of apartment when I collapsed and I could barely see. Was able to dial 911 on my phone before I could barely see anything at all. Found on concrete outside and taken to hospital."

Piggies5 July 13, 2018

For Migraine: "I have been using Effexor XR 75 mg for over 1 year. I suffer from migraines, hot flashes, and anxiety. It has helped with all of these issues. It dulls the pain of the migraines and has made it to where I can function pretty close to normal. Hot flashes are less. It is the best med I have ever used for anxiety as well. And I have lost 25 lbs. I love this medication. It has changed my life!"

T Lyn (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I suffered from a serious depression after a traumatic experience. I've always been a bit of a melancholic and I believed that I really know what depression is. But no, believe me, I had some horrible experiences and thoughts I didn't know I'm able to feel. After seeing the psychiatrist forthe first time, I started taking Laxapro which worked really bad for me. I stopped the treatment, get back to the black hole and start again. This time was Venlafaxine and changed everything. I was able to work with myself again. I have my clear mind, my job and life back. Of course, nothing is perfect. Miss one dose and you'll feel like dying. But, let's be honest, there is a small cost comparing with the experiences thar really kills you."

Giorgio Bambinovich (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

For Depression: "Overall I found this drug helpful. I had tried 3-4 different medications before starting venlafaxine, and was able to stay on the 150mg dose functioning for over a year. Then I tried to taper and however wasn't able to manage daily life, so went back up to 150mg and then added in a 150mg wellbutrin. I have now been tapering each dose every 2 weeks with the intention of being on wellbutrin alone. Side effects weren't bad until I stopped venlafaxine all together. 18 hours after my first "missed dose" I started to feel slightly dizzy and out of body. Since then nausea, vertigo, dizziness, unbalanced, and brain shivers have been steady, 84 hours since my last dose. This medication was good when I was on it, helped me have a functional life, but the withdrawal symptoms are very hard. I would even start to notice symptoms within 3-4 hours of missing a regular dose. I think this medication CAN help people have a functional life, but should not be a first option or taken lightly."

AP July 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Been on quite a few AD and this one worked quite well in the beginning. Helps with anxiety and depression felt more motivated, socialised more and didn't get much side effects. I was on 75mg. Did gain weight on it and after a few months stopped working! I quit cold turkey and wasn't that bad a bit dizzy and that's about it also didn't get sexual side effects. Don't let the negative reviews put you off it works different for everyone!"

P if g I m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

For Depression: "I've been on Effexor XR for 3 weeks. The first couple of days I had a headache but nothing too bad, just enough to be annoying. The first two weeks I was on 75mg and moved up to 150mg which I've beaaaen on for a week. I did feel a bit fuzzy the last few days but still felt better than I have in a long time. Today at 3 weeks and 2 day I feel clear headed and I'm sleeping better. I used to wake up every couple of hours now I sleep straight through to about 4:30 am which isn't too bad since I get up at 5 am anyway. I did notice the return of the headache yesterday but it's gone today. Last night I noticed a bit of trembling in my body but it didn't last long. Also, I went to dinner with my cousin and I realized after awhile I'd been doing all the talking where usually I'm the quiet one. I don't know if that's a good thing or not lol. What I know so far is that I feel like a cloud has been lifted. I see hope for the future instead of dread and I actually feel like "I got this!""

Justtina June 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was given Effexor XR in 2013 for generalised anxiety disorder. I was stable on 75mg for about 4 years when I decided to wean off it because of weight gain & the feeling that it wasn’t effective anymore in 2017. I weaned off using a Prozac bridge but relapsed 4 months later after a death in the family. I was restarted on Effexor XR and after 2 weeks started to feel better & had 2 good weeks. Out of the blue I stopped sleeping, started having panic attacks, paranoia & dark thoughts, I have never experienced anything like it. I sought out a psychiatrist & psychologist for help as my GP didn’t know what to do. I’ve been started on a Tricyclical antidepressant & am slowly weaning off the Effexor. My message is that everyone reacts differently to medication, carefully watch your reactions to a new medication & please seek help if you need it. Thankfully I did & my kids still have a Mum."

Mumof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking venlafaxine 3 days ago. I feel awful, I can't concentrate, feel weird, pupils huge, heart feels weird. Can't sleep well. Will this ever go away?"

Jessy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I had tried just about every SSRI known to man (and women) and also several mood stabilizers but they offered very little relief and it was often fleeting. After the birth of my daughter I was agoraphobic and suicidal. My psychiatrist put me on Effexor XR and Remeron. I am on a 300mg and haven't had a major depressive episode in 4 years. The withdrawal effects are terrible but only if I forget to take it. It also helps with my fibromyalgia pain and narcolepsy symptoms."

AnneBivalent (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2018

For Depression: "My dr recently put me on venlafaxine 75mg and I'm starting out in not liking it. I've been taking it for a few days now & instantly I could feel the side effects. I feel very nauseated but hungry but scared to eat because I might throw up I continued to take hoping the side effects would go away but they are not"

Kelly lynn (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Depression: "I was really excited when I got prescribed venlafaxine because the reviews were either really good or really bad but nevertheless, I was optimistic. I stuck up with the weird side effects for a week more and then a really weird thing happened. I was at a bar with my friends enjoying a cocktail or two when suddenly I wake up in the morning, hungover as hell only to hear that I blacked out after TWO G&Ts. Fast forward a week later the same happened after half a bottle of prosecco. I know you are not supposed to drink on ADs but I’ve NEVER blacked out because of alcohol, especially from this kind of amount. Not even a month on it I decided to quit. Tapered of for a few days, then quit completely. The first few days were okay, then I started getting horrible nausea, hand tremors and electric shocks in my brain. The nights were even worse. Having experienced sleep paralysis only once in my life I was SCARED FOR MY LIFE when I got FIVE episodes in one night."

Kapper June 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor worked in the same way surviving a traumatic event makes you appreciate life. The first two weeks I experienced the worst horrible side effects. Vertigo, (almost fell while walking) , and a range of emotions from anger to numbness, than it worked. I felt ok for awhile until I missed a dose. Then the withdrawal symptoms hit me like I was a crack addict. I had to wean off slowly the vertigo was so severe. After that I felt like I survived and learn how to use natural coping techniques. I didn't want to take anything else."

Dani (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was taking this medication for some time for anxiety and panic. It worked really well for my symptoms even on a low dose. However the medication is expensive and I had an extremely difficult time coming off of them. I tried 3x to wean off but extreme withdrawal effects. 4th time I went cold turkey (I know this is not advised!) and side effects lasted about two weeks before subsiding. Also if you don't take the medication on time or skip a dose I started to have the withdrawal effects."

Elle (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for : "After trying 4 or 5 different medicines for anxiety, finally effexor 75mg three a day changed my life. I live a normal life at work which is fantastic."

George L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "I took it for 2 days and felt like I was having a constant panic attack. My pupils were like saucers and I was having shivers all over my body and covered in sweat when ever I closed my eyes. I had to take two days off work and get my prescription changed. My GP increased the Mirtazapine I was on previously instead. I felt immediately better after I stopped taking it. Unfortunately, I have taken it again by accident after getting my pills mixed up and have been up all night! For me personally, the most powerful drug I've taken, and with the most side effects. May work for you but I'd try other AD's first."

Nat (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor at the beginning then to 75 mg, then up to 150 mg. At that time I started having nausea. My dose was raised up to 225 mg, and there it got real bad. Strong nausea, vomit, brain zaps, anxiety so strong I could rip off my skin with my hands, stomach problems. I wasn't suicidal for a good time, until now. I thought my harsh past was the worst time of my life no. This so much worse. I was not able to see my psychiatrist so I had to deal with it alone, I lowered the dose, but I still had all these effects. Right now it's a day I'm off. I'm feeling brain zaps, fever feeling, can't do hard work, can't walk fast, difficulty eating and digesting, and anxiety. I've read some people responded well to this antidepressant, but if you are about to start taking this, don't. You either take it and it works OR it will bring you down, it's not worth it. Stay away from this, please."

anon23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Just started Effexor Xr 36.5 mg I am hoping for a good results"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This was and is the most horrible medication that I’ve ever experienced before. It works well for a lot of people, however I wasn’t one of them. I felt intense pending doom, increased rapid thoughts, thoughts of self harm, perplexed and dissociation, everyone around me seemed awkward to me. I felt like in a dark hole, a tunnel of never ending sadness and a no-way out feeling. If your a Christian like me I would say maybe a similar of “mental hell” it was awful."

Anonymous June 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "Terrible drug, stay away. It heightened my anxiety symptoms tenfold..Just awful"

Teacake (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

For Depression: "I was started Celexa 20 yrs ago which was effective for about 2-3 yrs. After a loss of efficacy, I went on Lexipro which was effective for 2 yrs. Next came Effexor XR. It was my miracle at 75 mg. I remained on that for many years until I began menopause and my libido TANKED. In search of the “latest/greatest” with the fewest sexual side effects, I was then put on Cymbalta, what I consider to be the worst of all anti-d’s because of the awful withdrawal. Well, then something new appeared, Trintellix, which I took at the max dose of 20 mg daily along with Wellbutrin 300 mg. That lasted about 18 months. Once again, I felt no better. Finally I am back on Effexor (Venlafaxine) 150 mg with Wellbutrin 150 mg. It took about 10 days for it to finally kicked in but I can say I feel as though a veil had been lifted from in front of my face. My libido has never returned much to my dismay, but I have realized that my mental health is FAR more important to me and my relationship."

Lucy’s Mom June 12, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018