User Reviews for Venlafaxine

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,787 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

The Listener June 23, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Sure saved the quality of my life. I was not suicidal; I was more like the guy who didn't care if the plane crashed. I took Effexor for 8 years. After that time period it had been a long, long time since I had felt depressed, so I began to taper off. I think it probably took me a couple of months to get completely off. I have been off for 5 years. I learned a lot about clinical depression and how to treat it. If my depression ever returns I will not hesitate to go back to Effexor."

Kay · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I see a lot of people complaining about the withdrawal of this drug or side effects. I hope this drug never gets discontinued. This drug is the only thing (besides benzos, but try get prescribed that these days..)that has ever helped me with my major depression, social anxiety, and panic attacks. This drug is not meant for everyone .. if you have slight anxiety or depression you should not be on this drug.. yes the withdrawal is bad but for some people with severe issues we NEED this to function in society or until we are stable enough through therapy to get off. This is the only drug that works for some people like me with severe anxiety issues"

Mj June 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was absolutely hysterical, I got so anxious and depressed, I wanted to end my life. I put off taking medication for so long. I was hesitant to take effexor due to the reviews. Now that I’ve been on it for almost a month I already feel better. It changed my life, I’m not anxious and I’m able to go out and do things. I do get dry mouth, insomnia, tiredness, and my appetite decreased."

Nichy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "I love this drug, I was originally prescribed this due to migraines and was told the drug was primarily for anxiety and depression so I was like well win win even if it doesn't work for the migraines I win (. I have anxiety and am bipolar) Do not stop the drug abruptly, I had a 15 hour road trip and skipped a day, next morning ate my normal breakfast took my pill and an hour later puked my guts out. The half life of this pill is small so it leaves your system quickly and skipping a dose means resetting your body. Overall I have noticed a large decrease in headaches and migraines. For the first time in my life, I have been happy without needing a large reason. Small things don't bother me as much, I was able to drive down a mountain and look without having a panic attack. I like to think I may be able to get on a plane with the help of this drug."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed effexor for my depression and anxiety, I suffer from many things, BPD, bi polar panic disorder the list goes on but the one personality trait is I'm an irritated person if I dont know you but the best friend if you do. After 2 days of being on effexor I was so angry all day long and it didn't matter who you were I was going to be mean, I couldn't help myself, it was like watching myself and saying" like don't do it' but I just had to be angry and mean even to my mother, my mother and friends were terrified of me. They know I have problems but never towards them, I lost 3 friends bec of it my mother wont forget it but sees I'm back to normal, but my friends that I knew for years said with how terrible I was they were never speaking to me, even after trying to make up after coming off the meds. I highly recommend not taking this medication bec of mood swings and idk I'm not a dr but if you suffer a lot of other mental health issues I think it triggers them, stay away, hope this helped"

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 21, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I used effexor 5 months daily dose 150 mg with alprazolam which the doctor has prescribed, but I am still depressed and have insomnia."

Shelli June 19, 2019

For Depression: "I was finally able to go down from the max dose of this stuff to just the 37 mg after 7 yrs without really awful side effects on my own, I'll attribute that to tapering on vaca in MX that made it easier. I still am on a little of it. Anytime I tried to get off of it before, no matter how minute the taper, I would have the WORST most horrible brain zaps, nausea, etc, you name it. It made my hair fall out and forget about ever having a sex drive again! The only great thing about it was it made me lose a ton of weight, actually to the point my family was calling me Skeletor! Yea I didn't want to kill myself anymore but it was something terrible to be on. I don't recommend this to ANYONE. I know what serious depression and GAD is, panic attacks etc, its NOT worth trying this med."

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 19, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It gave me IBS as a side effect. A terrible drug I hate it! It's ruining my life."

Big D · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I inherited anxiety disorder, for the last 25-years I treated it with a very small dose of Xanax once a day and a little more if I had to fly, when I turned 60 it worsened and progressed to having to take large doses of Xanax every few hours and felt like I was in a living Hell! I started Effexor ER and within days I was cutting way back on the Xanax, it's been 60-days now on Effexor ER and I'm no longer needing the Xanax, but I do have a headache most days and get extremely tired... I can deal with those side effects much much easier than how I was before. To those that are considering this drug I would recommend that you talk with your Dr. about adding a Xanax type drug to avoid the first week of side effects, if I didn't have them I would have had to been hospitalized, I was very ill when I started Effexor ER and could barely walk and was so shaky I had to have help bathing, prior to getting sick I was a very healthy person that could walk for hours."

confused · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on 300 mg of Effexor ER for 15 yrs. I have Major Depression due to a Severe TBI (traumatic brain injury) I'm going off them with detoxing by a 1/4 every month. I'm now down to 150 mg. I have had serious anxiety & anger. Nothing else as of yet."

CNSmess June 13, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Unable to select multiple conditions but I'm on this for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), chronic pain, PTSD and shortly after starting Effexor had an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. Prior to effexor, zoloft for 9 , had a "2" recent unintentional drug overdoses, one was while in the care of an inpatient hospital stay and a loved one committed suicide It was a GOD send for the first 2 months, it put me out on my couch and I stopped caring about all my pain. I stopped caring about cleaning and order. "The feeling of sitting on the edge of my seat anxious with every muscle tightened in my body went away, for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE." . At 6 months developed photophobia, diarrhea, appetite loss, mood swings with rage, then these lead into loss of taste, weight, fatigue, nephropathy, tremors, jerking, dystonia. It was the dystonia diagnosis that got her attention this was the sign the drug needed to be stopped."

Inga · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2019

For Depression: "Venlafaxine made me gain a lot of weight very rapidly [3 dress sizes] without increasing food intake. I wasn't warned about this. It didn't change my mood for better or worse. On stopping venlafaxine I suddenly lost all the weight. I had dizzy spells for the first week, but felt better for stopping it. I then addressed the problems causing the depression and have not taken any medication in the 13 years since."

Jeckie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 12, 2019

For Anxiety: "Venlafaxine are strong and blunt words but in all honesty I would die first before letting a doctor put me back on this. I was a high achieving, people loving, go getter. Graduated with honors never did anything out of line. I had anxiety so started taking this medicine which almost destroyed my life. It disinhibited my behavior and the apathy was so extreme."

Gina · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "My experience with Venlafaxine ER was a month of awfulness. I had severe headaches, was tired and constipated really bad. I was total different person I was moody had a bad attitude toward anyone who was around me. Finally I am off this drug. And I don't recommend this drug at all. I went back on Paxil and I am so happy I did . My mood is happier no anxiety no depression I'm a much calmer person. My life in my eyes now is so much better"

sadgal June 11, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a 19 year old female who has been dealing with severe depression and anxiety for years now, trying out several different medications. (Sertraline, Abilify, Trintellix) I couldn't keep taking Trintellix due to extreme nausea, so my doctor suggested Effexor XR. That's the last time I listen to my doctor. I am currently in a 12 day process of weaning myself off of this medication, after taking it for a little over a month. I had an extreme loss of appetite, to the point where I felt sick after a small fries from Mcdonalds or even a piece of fruit. I have found myself to be very anxious about death/illness/accidents and find myself wanting to spend the least amount of time sober as possible. I have no motivation, and have a hard time staying focused at work. Not to mention, I have had so much trouble with climaxing that it is affecting my relationship. Although I am not nearly as sad as I used to be and don't cry nearly as often, I feel like a numb zombie and not like myself at all."

Caroline · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have had depression and social anxiety my entire life. Finally, I listened to a physician’s advice to try Venlafaxine 37.5 mg. It’s been 7 weeks and it has helped me tremendously. The side effects are constipation, occasional headaches and loss of appetite with some weight loss. Issues that would suddenly trigger sharp attitude changes, (negative and damaging to myself) no longer conquer me and I am able to take a step back from the panic. I intend to continue on this dosage for as long as possible."

N · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "After trying Celexa (meh) and Aoloft (horrible), I asked my psych for an SNRI. Effexor has changed my life, depression AND anxiety have gone way down. I have motivation to do the small things that I was never able to before, like making my bed in the morning. No side-effects unless I take it without food, in which case I get little episodes of shaky/wobbly vision."

Kelsey · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 11, 2019

For Depression: "I’ve taken vanlafaxine for depression since I was 16, I’m 23 now (7 years) . It’s changed my life. I take the extended release version , 75mg daily. The side effects in the beginning were terrible. I had brain zaps, couldn’t sleep, felt like I was shaking etc etc: , but after a week I had the energy to live again and conquer the world! I haven’t been depressed since. I do, however, get terrible night sweats to this day!"

Popsicle June 10, 2019

For Depression: "The venlafaxine was just awful, hated the medication while I was on it as it didn’t help at all so I was essentially just experiencing side effects (irritability, mood swings, weight gain) for no reason. Withdrawing from 150mg per day currently and the effects are absolutely disgusting - uncontrollable panic attacks, crying, confusion, hot and cold flushes, shaking, spikes of extreme emotion etc - pretty much any bad symptom I could have experienced I have. Wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy."

Anonymous June 8, 2019

For Depression: "Last summer due to a culmination of life’s stresses I became depressed, very unlike me because I am normally very “on top of things”. Although I avoid medication if at all possible, it was so bad I agreed to start on antidepressants. Initially took sertraline which made no difference whatsoever. After four months the doctor changed me over to venlafaxine. It was honestly life altering within days. My world became brighter. The doctor said it was the first time she had seen me smile in four months. Initially was on 75mg but found quite quickly that half that dose worked as well. Really worried about the withdrawal stories I had read but I have slowly reduced them over the last month with no signs of withdrawal. (I do realise this is a small dose). I am a middle aged women and I am sure that the menopause has had something to do with it. I think the venlafaxine was the right chemical for what I needed. Coming off it now but wouldn’t hesitate to use it again."

Lox77 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2019

For Depression: "Many people seem to give up on venlafaxine and write it off- please bear with it if you are prescribed it! The first week I started taking it I was so sick, throwing up, dizzy etc. But my psych. told me to just keep trying. After about six weeks I felt a noticeable change. Let’s bear in mind that before hand I had spend 10 yrs trying every drug and therapy going and whilst I don’t want to be triggering let’s just say I was severely very, very poorly indeed. Now 1 year after starting this drug I am doing really well. I am working 30 hours a week- I couldn’t work before. I am doing a college course to gain further qualifications. I can socialise and I can spent time alone without the very poorly things happening to me. I have some side effects- I’m a bit sweaty and itchy and some sex related issues but these are much more bearable than my previous life. I urge you to please stick with any medication the doctor or psych. gives you or go back and talk to them again- don’t just stop!"

Abbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2019

For Depression: "I hated venlafaxine, I’d been on 2 other medications before to treat depression but changed due to having severe insomnia on them. Being only 23 I didn’t like the idea of being on this kind of medication and constantly changing them but my doctor prescribed me this and within a month I gained so much weight I went up 3 dress sizes. Because of this it made me feel worse about myself. I’m now covered in stretch marks and am struggling to lose the weight. I felt awful on them, they made me feel worse and my thoughts were unbearable"

Sick Again · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "I don't often tolerate SSRIs well but was really hoping this med would be different... It wasn't. It was worse. Like the Cymbalta, I have severe motion sickness (it's the worst if I yawn), and like the fluoxetine I have an intense burning sensation--all on day 1. I also have worse insomnia, heart palpitations, and a headache. I already get burning pain from the fibromyalgia and small fiber neuropathy but this is much worse. Needless to say, I'm not staying on this one."

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on Effexor 150 mg for 1 month with NO help at all for my hot flashes, in fact I am in a constant state of a hot flash all day! Miserable. I am glad so many of you have found help with this drug but its not for me. I had a total hysterectomy 25 years ago and have struggled with HRT for many years."

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Helped me from the first time I took it."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)