User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

5.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1289 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Bipolar Disorder: "Venlafaxine is a good drug. It helps with depression and anxiety. What it doesn't work so well with is the mania. If anything, it can make the mania worse. I find adjusting my dose works the best. So anywhere from 150mg to 200mg. I know that is not the wisest course, but it does help keep the mania from being too strong. Olanzapine also helps me."

chgoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started taking Effexor XR about 10 years ago, for those last 10 years I have struggled with IBS-D. I would like to go off this drug but it has terrible withdrawal symptoms, and I've read the withdrawal can last for years after getting off this drug. When I read that people were taking the medication I think is causing my IBS to treat their IBS I was shocked. I'm glad if it works for them, but I wish I had never taken this drug."

Brodyv May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "There is a light at the end of tunnel. Have been taking Effexor XR 75 for almost 25 days. Initially felt miserable and had side effects (nausea, stomach upset and increased in anxiety). But today when I woke up I feel myself again, the real me - this drug has been a savior for me. Trust me this is awesome. Give it some time and it will give you your life back. I was really disappointed by taking Citalopram for almost 5 months it didn't get me feeling any better and even increased my anxiety but this drug is a miracle for me. Those thinking to quit, hang in there give it sometime and you will be back to normal :-)"

SajidAjmalKhawaja (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "It Varies with me. At first it was good and helped me kick a 30 year weed habit. But now I feel less motivated and not as functional as when I smoked weed for the same symptoms. Weed worked. And had no side effects."

Jdm1126 May 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm on 300mg a day 150mg at night and 150mg in the morning. I have to say it's helped me LOTS 5 years being on it . I have come a long long way from where I was I suffer from anxiety and depression, I've taken many other meds till I found this one . It seems to b working for me for last 5 years (KNOCK on wood, lol) Wish you all the best and remember if it doesn't work for you then talk to your doc to find something that does. Best of luck to all n god bless"

Miss mandy May 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've taken Duloxetine for years for major depression/osteoarthritis, but it never did much. My new psychologist wanted me to go off duloxetine and try a different A.D. **(Pro-tip - duloxetine can be titrated off of QUICKLY (within 2 weeks) if concurrent, temporary therapy of low-dose Prozac is performed at the same time. 10mg Prozac sufficient to prevent brain zaps and withdrawal syndrome from Duloxetine). I started with 75mg of Venlafaxine the first week. I didn't feel quite right, but not so bad that I felt I needed to report anything. After one week at 75mg per day, I began taking 150mg, a doubling. One day at 150mg was nearly the end of me. Immediately after it "hit" I became hostile, aggressive, suicidal, and unable to calm down."

Badkittym (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I only took this drug for 4 days because the side effects for me were too much. The first day I was extremely restless. I woke up having a panic attack which has never happened to me before. Though I will say this one may be coincidence. Day two I noticed a drop in my visual acuity. It wasn't too bothersome this day. But on day three it had declined in my right eye to the point where I had difficulty reading. When I closed my right eye everything seemed normal but when I closed my left eye everything was extremely blurry. I've never had vision problems before and this was starting to effect my work. My eyes are very dry as well. Been off for four days and nothing's changed but I expect that to take time."

Blue94 May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "My experience? I've been on many meds since age 16. Then at age 48, they gave me Effexor. It was the end of the life I knew. I constantly hallucinated. I yelled at my husband almost daily and when I could no longer feel the loving bond between my son and I and just wanted to scream at him until he cried, I stopped it cold-turkey and I was on ONLY 37.5 mg! I will NEVER take this medication again and for me, it brought out my mother in me and that's when I knew there was a HUGE PROBLEM with this medication in my body because to act like the very person who abused me showed me that I needed to get off of it or turn my son into me - broken and afraid."

Luppernoodle (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg in 2015 for depression. I was on it for 7 months. It helped at first, but not in a healthy way. It kinda just kept me calm and numb to my surroundings. It was almost like some type of fake permanent trance that helped me to not be able to focus for more than a couple seconds on issues. Just a constant blur, I had absolutely no feelings. Whether it be love or hate.....I had nothing. I didn't care about anything, nothing seemed to bother me. Then I started to have memory loss along with brain zaps every night before bed. I quit cold turkey because I knew I had to save myself. I now suffer with sleep paralysis and occasional brain zaps, two years later. I believe they are 2 lifetime side effects caused by this drug."

G_Mal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started Venlafazine 37.5mg - 150mg over a 6 weeks period for Anxiety and PMDD but had to stop. Previous to this I was on Mirtazapine 15mg to help with sleep and appetite but it did nothing for my 'feelings'. VENLAFAXINE- PROs- Slightly more confident, didn't blush, more energy, less body pain. CONs- INSOMNIA, no appetite at all started losing weight, muted feelings, had no empathy anymore, like a I don't give a shit attitude, NO LIBIDO and couldn't orgasm! I decided to quit this garbage and return to the mild Mirtazapine for good. Some of the weeks I was on venlafazxine I actually also took the Mirt (the combo known as Californian rocket fuel) so I could get some sleep although doctors did not allow me to do this! Effects after stopping Venlafaxine -3days"

Cali2 May 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I am a female senior and started taking this drug about 8 months ago, so far it works well for the depression at 150mg. I missed taking the drug for 2 days and as a result I had terrible symptoms when I went to bed, my muscles felt like they were tensed and shaking, could not go to sleep but must have at some point and had terrible dreams, now I feel quite ill, stomach upset, gut upset, sweating, horrible. Had to take some pepto bismol tabs to try to settle my stomach. Took my pill at lunch today, waiting to see if I start to feel better. Surely there must be a drug that can do the same job without the necessity to take it with food and won't send you body into a tizzy if you miss a dose or 2."

brownie1951 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Lifted me out of a deep, dark depression at 450 mg/day combined with Remeron 45 mg/day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I actually take this for post herpetic nerve pain from shingles. I came down with shingles in Dec 16 and suffered pain on the whole left side of my body. I am being treated with gabapentin and 75mg of effexor. I suffered from horrible pain from shingles and as soon as I added effexor I felt much better the nerve pain us now at a level where I can function throughout the day. I'm youngish only 38 years old. It really provides great relief for pain. I have been taking it for about six months."

Hayleesmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I used this for 6 weeks at first few days I felt great then bam I felt so much worse. I have major depression , panic disorder and OCD , I'm currently in counselling too while on this med , this is my 3rd medication for my symptoms I've tried now my doc prescribed lexapro and I will take that in 3 days, side affects I got while on venlafaxine was weird dreams , low sex drive (only for a few weeks then went back to normal) migraines and irritated my IBS . I came off the drug myself without my docs consent as I wasn't feeling myself and knew it wasn't working I was on 37.5mg and then upped to double the dose and higher dose didn't suit so went back down to 37.5mg . Only side affects coming off them was cold sweats and my migraines n IBS went"

Amy12365 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I took this pill once at 37.5mg to start my regimen. I got serotonin syndrome and was hospitalized. Steer clear from this medicine."

Tari567 April 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am currently on 150 mg of effexor XR. It isn't the greatest but I noticed that I don't have random crying spells anymore and my depression eased a bit."

DaynaS (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication is very scary to take. I was only on 37.5mg for one day and my pupils dilated and one eye was bigger then the other. It felt like I had taken some illegal drug. I felt dopey and after stopping it from one day I still felt high days later. Told my doctor and was prescribed escitalopram and took only 5mg same thing happened with my pupils again and made my out of reality feelings worse. I honestly think medication is only good if you actually have a full on disorder that is bad.. but taking this to get a relief from anxiety it just masks it. It made me feel numb to my emotions.. I don't want to be masked and not feel happy or sad.."

Anonymous23448 April 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Male, 32y. I was suffering from stomach complex pains, terrible headaches, and depression. 16 months ago I was prescribed for Venlafaxin up to 225mg/day and Trimipramin for sleeping. It was very complicated with ups and downs but I finally got to a normal life. Since then I have gained ~10kgs but I think it's not bad for me since I was underweight before. My doctor suggested me to decrease it gradually and cut it off. I was on 75mg until yesterday and today I didn't take it. In the afternoon I was very irritated and anxious but it could be the short term withdrawal. I will update you if I could stay off medication. I wish you all strength and happiness"

Merso44 April 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "after reading all the comments I thought I'd asked a question, I just start taking venlafaxine yesterday, last night I notice my tummy was upset, got up this morning with a mild headache, is this normal."

teepearl April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed this drug due to very stressful and lack of help at work, the company l worked for refused to help me in a very busy office always manned by two staff and made to run the office by myself. I worked on till l cracked and had to seek help, l was placed on a very high dose in the first instance and laid off work through ill health. I am now on this medication for life as l cannot get off this drug through the side effects of a 'buzz like static electricity at the back of my head' this gets so bad that l feel like passing out at times. This is why l will be on this for life. If l had known this at the outset l would not have taken it, but nothing explained so, through ignorance and placing my trust in the doctor, l suffer."

jeff69 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2017