User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

4.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1009 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor saved my life!!!! I was so hesitant at first to try this drug because to me it seemed so powerful compared to Zoloft and Celexa which I've been on in the past. I was also nervous bc of the reviews I read with ppl talking about all the horrible side effects. I'm here to tell you DONT BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. Effexor is absolutely amazing!!! I had no side effects at all. If I had to say I had any it would be cold sweats for maybe a day but that's it. I take 150mg ER a day and I am back to my old self if not better. My advice is that everyone's body reacts differently to medication and not everyone experiences the same things. This drug is amazing and has helped my depression in every way...."

Amazing Drug!!! (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on antidepressants for 16 years. From Celexa, to Prozac, to Paxil with none ever truly taking away my depression and anxiety. I suffer from major depressive disorder, ptsd, anxiety and I'm bipolar as well. Since starting Effexor, my life has dramatically changed for the better. I'm honestly the happiest and calmest I've been since the age of 15. I started with 37.5mg 2x daily and I'm now up to max dosage. I've zero side effects and can function fully without benzodiazepines for my anxiety thanks to this medication. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try, especially if no other antidepressants have truly made you feel 100%. It's possible to beat depression with the right medication, just keep on trying and hang in there!"

StacyAnna (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on Effexor xr for 2 weeks and it's great. I had been on Zoloft before and it pooped out on me so my doc switched me to Effexor xr and after 2 days I started feeling good again. I take 37.5 mg per day. I come back to write here because I wanna give back to this forum and give hope for anybody that suffer from this like me. keep to try the med that suit for you. best wish!"

Asian July 8, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "After a tragic and dark episode in my late 20's where I seemed to have reached rock bottom, some random doctor put me on effexor, minimal dose. Eleven years later I have never been able to get off the damn thing. And I lost count on how many times I've tried. This stuff is seriously addictive and is one of the worst in its kind. Make absolutely sure you really know what you get yourself into with this drug. Even just missing a day makes me sick, two and I'm sick as hell. I just finally started the long and slow process of tampering down 10% a month by removing little beads. It's gonna take ten months but I am determined and hoping it works out smoothly ... Nothing this addictive can be good. Beware."

Lucky17 (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2016

For Depression: "Lifted my deep depression!"

Anonymous July 3, 2016

For Depression: "I was on venlafaxine for about 4 years. I didn't realize until, now that I'm off of it, all of the side effects I suffered while taking it. I had chronic constipation, followed by a most recent period of explosive diarrhea. Anytime I missed a dose or was late in taking it, the dizziness and nausea would set in. Those would disappear after taking the missed dose.I gained so much weight. I was a little overweight when I started, but the pounds kept piling on, and were literally impossible to take off despite a very good diet and exercise. I had an intense craving for alcohol, to the point of throwing up from excess drinking. After a weaning off period, I'm on Welbutrin now. Losing weight, not drinking, and feeling much better."

Gladi stopped July 1, 2016

For Depression: "I've been taking this medication now for about 6 weeks starting at 37.5mg now on 75mg 3xday. I'm feeling like a zombie I just sleep all the time, yes my depression and anxiety are less but the side effects including sweating and eating loads, will these disappear."

neilluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "Prior to starting this medication I couldn't drive in the car by myself anymore, I could barely go into the convenient store by myself without having a panic attack. After searching for a doctor that could help me I landed the best psychiatrist who prescribed me Effexor. I started with a low dose and was also taken Ativan as a crutch to get through until the Effexor worked. Before starting this I swore that I would never regain control of my life. Effexor change my life and saved me from the helplessness that I felt. I am now off the Ativan and have not needed any sense stopping it. There is freedom beyond panic and anxiety. This may not work for everybody but it worked for me."

No longer hopeless (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

For Depression: "Helps me concentrate and lessens the crash from Focalin XR."

Anonymous June 29, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Less obsessional thoughts on this!"

Anonymous June 29, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "My Dr prescribed this, along with other meds, for hot flashes due to perimenopause. I read up, at the time did not find anything too alarming. What I SHOULD have been researching was the WITHDRAWAL process for this drug. If I'd read that 1st, I would have asked for a different treatment route. FIRST, it didn't help the hot flashes. So last week, after starting at 37.5 and upped to 75,6 months ago, my Dr. advised to quit. COLD TURKEY. No tapering, he didn't appear alarmed, no big deal. My last dose was a Wed morn. Friday morning awoke with a KILLER throbbing headache, dizziness, nausea. Tried to manage OTC with Excedrin, Benadryl. After vomiting and visual delays, meclizine helped. Pupils were, and still are, PINPOINT(out of space)"

FIND ANOTHER MED-DO NOT TAKE (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "300mg 2x 150mg pills both in the morning no other medications. You can't say this medication doesn't cause immediate effects. I need to wake up 1 hour earlier than I normally would to ingest these pills. Otherwise I could suddenly 'wake up' on the highway behind the wheel of my car with no previous memory of how I got there or where I am, or how to get where I'm going.(Been in the same city and surrounding for 24 years) puts my head in a haze... makes it extremely difficult to concentrate. Sex drive is almost none existant, can lose sex drive IN THE MIDDLE OF SEX no climax, no build up. Just nothing. Complete lose of interest. Weight gain, with no appetite. Emotional disconnection. Without Crippling depression, and emotional wreck."

Canadian Male June 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Weight loss and Diaharia."

Margo Dog June 27, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I am a women of 45 years old and have been going through menopause early. In the past summer I started with anxiety, and terrible hot flushes which was effecting my life. I went to my gp who referred me to the Jeans Hailles clinic. Best thing I have ever done. Due to my mother having severe osteoporosis and breast cancer in the past, HRT was out of the question. The doctor suggested anti depressants. I started taking venlafaxine about 4 months ago and the hot flushes has just about disappeared. I have some side effects including yawning and worst of all a little constipated but all in all my confidence in myself has improved so much."

Joop71 June 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I can't really say anything about how effective it is because it worsened ALL of my symptoms. Despression, considerably worse. Urge for Amphetemines, Alcohol and Cocaine (as well as valium on one occasion) were severly worsened and I havent touched any of those drugs (except alcohol) in nearly 20 years. Suicidal thought weren't even present until I took this medication and I was on the lowest dose available. All Symptomes of Restless Limb Syndrome were severly worsened. Derealisation was worsened to the point of depersonalisation. Anxiety was drastic to the point that I wanted Amphetemines against the Down AND Valium/Xanax against the anxiety. Urge for strong drugs and RLS symptomes were only tolerable after microdosing cannabis."

wiseguy77192 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

For Depression: "venlafaxine is a HORRIBLE drug. I have put three stone on in the few months I was on it, despite being active!I asked to be put in an antidepressant that didn't have that side effect so this has made me feel even worse. You mustcbe good at remembering the exact time to take this or withdrawals kick in within a few hours!tapered down over the space of one month to the smallest 37.5 dose, I am on day 7 of no ven and it's been the week from hell!hearing voices,vertigo, nausea,vomiting,crying for hours, mania,severe anger, crazy thoughts, head zaps (the weirdest sensation) confusion,memory loss,sweating, took me a week to feel even slightly human and still feel crap!taking diazepam to calm symptoms,terrified it has caused irreparable damage."

Junglej June 17, 2016

For Depression: "Been on this for a few years now, taking 225mg/day. The side effects are unpleasant, but have abated greatly thankfully. When I started there was the WORST DRY MOUTH EVER. Persistent and I couldn't go five minutes without drinking something. Had sleep problems with it, including ridiculous night sweats where I'd wake up with a body imprint in my sheets (gross, yes) almost every night. Couldn't sleep more than 2-4 hours at a time. But trust me when I say these things were nothing compared to what I was feeling before (we're talking 0.5 on a scale of 1-10) and while I'm not 100% it is certainly the single thing keeping me from killing myself, which is nice. I can now sleep about 6 hours at a time and only have night sweats if I DON'T take it."

mynameistj June 17, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrible side effects! I tried Ciprelex (escitalopram), but made me so tried all the time. My doc switched me to Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), I had 0 side effects, but I couldn't afford the $105 price each month without a generic brand or drug plan. Doc switched me to Effexor claiming it was "very similar to Pristiq, and available in a generic" however I had the WORST insomnia at night. Trouble falling and staying asleep at night- would wake up every hour with mind racing. Dry mouth throughout the day no matter how much water I drank. Also, very fidgety feet and legs while sitting or laying in bed. I was exhausted all day everyday, yet continued waking up several times throughout the night. Went back to my doc, and switched back to Pristiq."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Good. Probably the best first-line antidepressant option I've tried. Works within a few days if you're lucky. It's nice going outside, feeling good again and having a quiet mind. Just be aware of three things 1) it comes with a fair share of side effects - notably fatigue, difficulty falling asleep, difficulty waking up and usually gastrointestinal sexual issues. 2) for me, it stopped working after a year or two so mix up your lifestyle and identify, make changes whilst you feel good 3) withdrawal is awful but not as bad as you imagine it will be - just be prepared to sign off if necessary and keep friends, family close. Cognitive blunting as a result of either the depression or the medication is still with me a few months on."

3626_2385219 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2016