User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Somatoform Pain Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,465 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I don't get this. I suffer from sever GAD and insomnia. I only get depressed sometimes due to lack of sleep and anxiety over everything. I heard rave reviews for panic disorder. I have only been on a couple of month but the drug totally amps me up. I don't understand how it works for anxiety. I get the same feeling as on Wellbutrin. Am I missing something. I have to take it first thing in the morning for even a small chance of sleeping at night. I didn't think SNRI's were noted for helping anxiety, more for depression. Should it not be working by 8 weeks? Does anyone else find it amps them up? or do you find it really reduces your anxiety? Any help or experiences would be great appreciated. I feel like I am the only one it does this to."

Katie60 February 21, 2018

For Depression: "I've been on this drug since may June 2017 for depression 37.5mg twice a day. I must admit the first tablet I took I had blurred vision very frightened my head was on another planet and I couldn't stop shaking but after a few days that all stopped it has helped me 100% apart from no appetite I've lost 4 stone it has gave me my life back I feel great I've started the gym I'm loving life best drug out for depression"

Suzzy bear February 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on effexor for almost 20 years.. I would cry and pray for the right drug for 6 months and had lost 100 pounds down to 80 pounds. Then I came across Effexor "

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have had anxiety my entire life, and about a dozen depressive episodes. SSRI's have always seemed to help me in the past, but not long-term. After experiencing a severe depression a year and a half ago, my doctor started me on 75mg of Effexor XR for one week, then 150mg thereafter. This drug has been a wonderful treatment for me. I don't recall any horrible side effects, perhaps because I needed help so badly that I was willing to tolerate most anything. I truly have never felt as calm as I do now! No medication is perfect, and it sounds like some people have not tolerated this medication well. For me, it helped me get my life back."

Versailles (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started this drug in Jan 2018. I started on 37.5 and went up to 75mg after 3 weeks. I have a history of severe anxiety with panic. I can tell you this drug is the only thing I have taken that completely erases negative thoughts and any and all thoughts of panic. I was never really depressed, but I can tell it has lifted my mood as well. I have tried every SSRI under the sun and Effexor is the only thing that worked for the anxiety AND panic. I encourage you to at least try it, if I made decisions based on the reviews I have read from this drug I would have never tried it. We are all different and react differently to each drug. I viewed the med as a nothing to loose situation so I gave it a shot and it worked for me."

Sha2213 February 15, 2018

For Depression: "I first took Effexor during my senior year of high school. I had tried Wellbutrin, but hadn't experienced any effects except for nausea. After a few weeks of taking Effexor, I felt markedly happier with much more energy. I've since gone off and back on several times. Generally, 75 mg works for me, but I was taking 150 mg at one point. This drug has changed my life. When I start to notice suicidal/negative thoughts, I immediately fill my prescription for 37.5 and start transitioning to 75 if it still doesn't work a month later. You definitely need to give it time, but this drug has been a miracle for me. The only adverse side effect I've experienced is an increase in the amount I sweat (but I sweat quite a bit normally). Sometimes it does make me feel a bit manic when I first start, but the effects quickly wear out. Definitely give this drug a try!"

Maggs1759 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My GP put me (female, 19) on Effexor for anxiety, it was the first time I'd taken medication for mental health. I'm going to be honest it was fine while taking it, but looking back I was in an apathetic fog for the year I was on it and totally disregarded my relationships. Coming off of it on the other hand was an absolute nightmare, even under the supervision of a doctor and weaning off slowly, I've never been more miserable! Could not sleep because of paranoia and the mood swings had me ripping books and sobbing over spilt milk or dropping something on the floor. For long term use it would probably be great, but if you're new to antidepressants or just testing it out, be so so careful!"

Taylee2 February 14, 2018

For Depression: "So I've been on 75 mg for 3 weeks. I love it. I'm relaxed and feel better than I have in a long time. The crying spells have ceased completely. I have clarity of mind and I lost 6 pounds. This drug has decreased my appetite big-time. I was supposed to increase my dosage after the first week but didn't because as good as I feel, this drug has also made me fatigued. I am sleepy and tired all the time. I can't imagine taking a higher dose to 150mg and functioning. Also, practically zero libido. I have found that those few pounds lost are creeping back up simply because I've become so sedentary. I love this medicine but not sure how long I can be on it. The lethargy is a big concern."

Sandy M. February 12, 2018

For Depression: "I was skeptic about this drug for the first four weeks or so, because I started at 37.5mg (ER) a day, and eventually I was moved to 75mg daily. About four weeks after 75mg daily, I noticed my depressive symptoms were relieved so much. Venlafaxine is so effective for depression I would strongly recommend this medication to people who don’t respond well to SSRIs, or even try this one first. It saved my life."

ow7en (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2018

For Hot Flashes: "A new primary care physician suggested Effexor to treat my hot flashes. I was so sleep deprived and miserable but didn't want the risk of HRT. The very first day I took it, my flashes practically vanished. After a week, I just get a little warm maybe once or twice a day. The first day or two taking Effexor I experienced a little nausea and tiredness but it has since stopped. I take the 37.5 mg dose once a day. My only regret is that this wasn't offered sooner."

moes wife February 11, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I'm a 43 year old man going through a painful divorce. Until I started on Effexor (75mg) last week, I couldn't sleep at night, was obsessing over my ex, feeling ABSOLUTE despair and hopelessness with bouts of furious rage. I was a wreck. Now all those symptoms are gone... But so is everything else! I am currently unemployed, and HAD been hustling like crazy to find a new job, but since Effexor, my MOTIVATION is completely GONE-- I have zero sense of urgency, when I know that I should be freaking out a little because I have bills to pay and I NEED a job. I binged 3 hours of Netflix in the middle of the day for no reason!! I've never been a procrastinator-- but that's all I'm about all of a sudden, and I could not care less! I was on Effexor years ago for my quick temper and depression, but went off it after two years because the apathy came to be too much. Looks like I am going to have to do it again-- because I need my hustle back!!!"

JRNyc (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "One of the few antidepressant that have not caused me to put on weight. Works reasonably well for depression and somewhat less well for anxiety. I sleep far more on this drug than normal, although this has been the case with all AD medications I’ve taken previously."

Locc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Been on it for about 5 days; my doctor told me to take it at night because it could make me sleepy. I'm still very sleepy all day but also feel its helped a little. I'm also having low sex drive. I will update as I'm hoping these side effects go away."

Nerf7 February 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "Effexor saved my life! I was unable to tolerate existing, and realized I wouldn't tolerate it much longer, I was gonna put a stop to it. I was anxious before, but this realization put it over the top. But then I remembered someone at a key time recommending Effexor, and asked my psych. for it. Problem solved! Anxiety gone! (Though actually it increased my anxiety a little and increased my ability to deal with it a lot, which is the same thing.)"

Neuromancer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2018

For Depression: "I'm still on this. The only side effects I have are nausea, sometimes headaches, drowsiness. Over all my mood is okay. I felt change from this medication pretty soon maybe within 2 weeks. I'm less depressed and have much less suicidal thoughts. I threw up once but I think it was mainly because I didn't have any food that day. I just have to eat before taking them to help the nausea. It also helps my sleep routine. But also makes me quite tired through the day if Ionly sleep 8 hours. But feel so much better if I sleep 12 hours only problem then is I struggle to fall asleep until like 4am. It is a two a day dose which is a struggle, i forget to take them at night a lot. It's confusing because I don't know what time to actually take them at. So I have them after I wake and eat. and then at 11pm"

depressedfaye (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I’ve been taking Effexor XR and now the generic brand veneflaxine for 20 years this year. I have a love hate relationship with this medication. It has helped me wonderfully with my depression but the side long term effects make me hate it. I have become dependent on it. I believe It has ruined my short term memory. If I miss one dose, immediately after the next dose I get sick. I’m nauseous for the day, I have a migraine and the worst is the muscle and bone aches. My body hurts so bad. If I miss two doses, I become psychotic. I can’t speak normally. I repeat the same thing over and over. I shake terribly. I feel trapped in my head. I hallucinate. I get brain zaps too. I’m terrified to come off of this drug in search of an alternative but I am at the highest dose and it’s not working anymore. I am incredibly stable mentally. I’m a busy mother of 4 and I take the mental health in my life very seriously. I don’t recommend this drug unless it is for short term use."

Functioning January 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I wanted to share my experience as I’ve read so many awful reviews about this drug. Granted this isn’t the right one for me, I did not experience the horrible side effects described by some people. My psychiatrist started me out on 75 mg, after while worked up to 150mg, and finally today I’m on 225mg (over the course of about 10-12 weeks). The only side effects I’ve had are occasional headaches and some constipation. I go back to my psych in a few days and I think we will agree to move me on to another Rx. The 150mg dose made me so exhausted, I hated it. I felt awful. When I started the 225mg, I at least felt like a person again and had energy to do basic things like shower and clean my house. It didn’t resolve my anxiety but for those of you who may be afraid to try it, please don’t be afraid of the negative reviews/side effects. I wish so bad this worked for me but it didn’t."

Jes1004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while I was on Effexor warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stopped it and within 2 to 3 weeks they were ALL-GONE, I couldn't believe it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :("

Willow10364 January 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Started out taking 75mg. at night and could not sleep at all. Taking 37.5mg now in the morning and still am dealing with being very jittery at night when trying to relax or sleep. On the positive side this has been a great in dealing with past negative issues and moving past them. Also much more relaxed in social situations and a much more positive attitude about life in general. Every day more confident and things seem a little better"

R.carpenter January 28, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor was the worst antidepressant I've ever taken. It seemed to help at first but only for a short time. The side effects were crazy. Brain zaps, waking up screaming for no reason, feeling hot all the time to the point of not wanting to go anywhere. Random muscle twitches, not being able to shut my brain off to fall asleep... My point is, not every medicine is for everyone. This one is too tough to quit cold turkey but once I got off of it I felt better."

Emmski January 27, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I took one dose Effexor and stopped because it’s bringing me to my knees and can’t sleep for a day now"

Ibrahimi January 26, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This with venlafaxine has done wonders to me. I have successfully used venlafaxine+mirtazapine combo for years, so far little side-effects and great overall response to meds."

jiibs (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 23, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Worst drug I've ever taken in my life. Made my depression worse immediately to a low I've never been to in my entire life. My eye pupils kept dilating and restricting. I had to get off immediately after four days. I've since been on medications that work quite well for me but effexor was a nightmare so if you are having a horrible reaction get off it!!! It worked well for a friend of mine but not for me."

Candy 2015 January 20, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "In a nutshell, Effexor 150mg works best for Social Anxiety out of any SSRI or SNRI that I have tried. It also alleviates symptoms of associated with depression. 150mg is the ideal maintenance dosage. It will increase blood pressure and withdrawal can be deadly once discontinued, hence why your doctor needs to taper you off carefully. Keep in mind that this medication and any other SNRI(I.E. Cymbalta) can send anyone with Bipolar or Bipolar tendencies, spiralling into mania. You may find yourself drinking more, shopping, gambling, spending, etc. It should be coupled with Mirtazapine, as it will curb the effects of the Effexor. This is a very powerful medication and should be used as a LAST resort as it is very hard to leave once committed."

volare82 January 16, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been taking Effexor for 6 months now and I feel great. My dose is 37.5mg once per day. I also take citalopram 20mg one time per day. So both are great together and my head thoughts have done a complete 180. I am finally happy. It has stopped all the negative thoughts plus my brain is less cloudy, I have a clear head. Its like I have a refreshed brain. Its wonderful."

MintLeaf_32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018