User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Somatoform Pain Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,415 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Fibromyalgia: "I began on a low dose of the ER 37.5 & immediately noticed the dry mouth, headaches and burning pit in my stomach 24/7. Then came the blurry vision, urinary issues & by day 10, the most debilitating stiff & painful back you can imagine. I knew it had to be related to the meds since this is NOT a Fibro symptom (at least for me) nor did I do anything to injure myself. Before I discovered it was the meds I had gone to a walk in clinic (or hobble in clinic) & was given muscle relaxers. Nothing worked. Not ibuprofen, hot or cold compresses or muscle relaxers. After researching further I found that this medication can cause severe muscle stiffness. I then asked my Dr.'s nurse if this was true and she said yes, she experienced it herself."

Not for me! (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have fibromyalgia and the doctors also diagnosed major depressive disorder. After a few attempts, I was prescribed Effexor, but I was never warned of the side effects or the horrible withdrawal symptoms if you ever want to stop. Research it first, I wish I had. I could not get my prescription for 4 days once and I felt like a drug addict, throwing up, sweating, headache, chest pains. It was severe. I think dying would have been a welcome option at one point. All because I had not realized I was out of refills. Anything that severe is not safe for your body. Now, I am stuck on a medication that has made me feel worse until I can do slowly wean off that it may take a year plus because it impacts your entire body when you cut back slightly."

Purduegoddess (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribe this medicine to help me because I was gaining to much weight with the bupropion XL, this didn’t do any good at all for me. I had the anxiety 3-4 times a week, you know, that feeling of something is going to happen and you feel like you have your heart in your throat. I did like that I felt strong emotionally, not depress at all, I wish I didn’t feel that anxiety at all. Hope it works for everyone else."

Lennys November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I’ve been dealing with a lot lately that is out of my control and have admittedly been depressed most of my life (I am 29 years old). A breakup reeked havoc on my mental health and I consulted a psychiatrist. Was prescribed generic 37.5mg for 2 weeks then was instructed to double dose. First pill took around 11am yesterday, by 2pm I was nauseous, dry heaving, had incredibly bad diarrhea, double vision, back pain, and was becoming very lethargic. My jaw was clenched most of the day and I was grinding my teeth all night. I didn’t sleep well, woke up pacicking and having racing thoughts. Doctor said to quit taking it. One pill was enough. Never again."

NeverAgainEffexor November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I took it for 2 weeks. Started 75mg first week and went up to 150mg the second. Several days after I increased the dosage, I lost all sex potency and sex drive completely. I'm a 25 year old man and I was not able to orgasm at all. After I stopped I have VERY SEVERE withdrawal symptoms. I had to lose work for several days and was very close to being sent to a hospital. At NO POINT did my doctor warn me of any of these symptoms. It's very important to understand that this drug is that this drug CAN cause permanent damage and that it is highly addictive even after a short time. I'd rather take a bullet to my head than take this pill ever again."

tjw14 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Have taken 75 mg for about 2 years. Usually helpful but when I forget to take it at night the next day I am sobbing and I am today. This morning I took a double dose, hoping to cut short the crying sessions. I understand that Effexor ER has a short half life. Does this mean it catches up? I have had to take antipressants since age 27. I’m now 67. Guess now my dx is called MDD. I’ve tried to get off meds but the depression always returns. My brother thinks one can just get over it. But I realize it is inherited brain chemistry for my situation so the meds will always be necessary. Approaching holidays add to the challenge."

Pekemom (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "The things you have to go through if you stop taking this drug are awful. I would never of started taking it if I knew how bad it is when you stop"

Anonymous November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My doctor had me try several different meds for my panic disorder and depression and nothing worked except lexapro but I hated being on it because it ruined my sex life, gave me IBS, made me fat, and made me feel zombie like and the worst part is that the positive effects of the medicine would wear off within a few months and just leave me with all the bad side effects. I was finally about to give up on all medicine and just crawl under a rock for good when she said that there was a new version of Effexor that was extended release and getting good feedback. On just 75 mg a day, my life and turned around 360 degrees. No more bad anxiety and when I get an attack it’s much more manageable. My orgasms have returned, losing weight, feel amazing!"

AJ Loftis November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took one and felt like my head was in a microwave oven; I felt zapping all around my cranium. Then when night time came around, I couldn't stop yawning. Effexor will hijack your brain, from the start. I stopped after one dose, and now my doc wants me to try Lexapro - after research, I found it seems to have fewer side effects on users - we'll see. I also started seeing a therapist once a week which I highly recommend."

Jake G. November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was at the end of my rope...I tried everything to control my anxiety...other medications (zyban)...nutrition choices...self medicating (alcohol-which only made it worse). Venlafaxine is a God's send for me...it has given me my quality of life back. No more waking up scared to face the day...no more fear of driving or feeling of fainting in a social situation. I can't praise this medication enough."

So much better (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was given this medicine for anxiety and depression, after a month of taking the 37.5mg this medicine has increased my symptoms of anxiety and depression substantially. Also since I have started taking this medication I have developed some new symptoms such as mania and hallucinations. The pains attacks associated with this medicine are horrifying as well. The most disturbing thing about the drug, to me, is the extremely lifelike and vivid dreams that make you believe you've been up all night but in reality you've been asleep, this makes waking up very difficult because it's hard to tell if you're awake or not. This is an extremely powerful drug, I would discuss other options with your doctor before trying Effexor XR"

Jrhill4463 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "An increase in suicidal thoughts and depression."

Ms. (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been more than 5 years on this medications, there's a lot of true facts about this drug. It works, great in fibromialgya, I works better than a pure serotoninergic compound, or compares with escitalopram, that made my teeth a bit tight. Is true, if you want to get off this drug, you can have a hard time at the beginning so, better is to do it with a doctor, doing gradual reductions. For me is a good drug base treatment. With drive and motivation, try to use it in combination with Wellbutrin or rocket fuel as known in combination with Mirtrazapine 30mg has a very good synergic if you need a power effect. Or a guided treatment for ADHD."

Kusanovic (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been on it now for 3 months now at 150mg , never had a lot of side effects.. (- a bit of sleeping prob the first month ) social anxiety 8 out of 10- has gotten much much better.. Depression, well 7 out of 10. all over 8-10"

SwissLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "OMG! Only been taking venlafaxine 2 days and it has really cut down on my annoying hot flashes!!!!!! Used to have at least 10 a day and now in 2 days I’ve only had 3!!!!!! Awesome! Who want HRT and cancer possibilities! Thanks to my doctor who prescribed venlafaxine!"

Karlah (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on 75mg of venlafaxine for 6 or 7 years. It is good for me. Before Effexor, my emotions felt like being hit by a truck. After Effexor, it gives me a moment to THINK about things, rather than just disintegrating into a puddle on the floor. I still have feelings, but they're not as overwhelming and I don't feel like I HAVE to react to them. Side effects: sweating and tiredness. I take a lot of naps! Missing a dose: About an hour or two after my time to take my pill, if I forget to, I'd get tingly and dizzy. Withdrawal: I recently tried to stop taking Effexor cold turkey. I lasted 6 days. Intense anger, bursting into tears, a static feeling in my head, like a TV set on no channel, and a tingly feeling in my lips."

AfternoonMocha (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I first used Effexor XR 75 mg at the start of 2016 to treat depression/ anxiety. Side effects were things such as dry mouth, frequent urination, problems sleeping at night. After 2 weeks these reduced greatly and after a further 2 weeks my mood improved greatly and my anxiety reduced. My ongoing side effects were strange (not unpleasant) dreams and sometimes night sweats - neck and chest. I tapered off to 37.5 and then stopped October 2016. The withdrawals - head zaps in the main - lasted about a week and were not too bad. I stopped because I felt so much better. During mid 2017 I went down hill again and was back at the GP's sobbing my heart out and at home being a complete pain to my wife. I started 75mg again 4 weeks ago. Much better!"

SRH1957 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "At 75mg I did ok but was still depressed. If I miss a dose I get crying spells the next day (I take all my meds, 4, at night) at 150mg I started hearing things, unable to focus, and unable to hold urine - yes I learned that its a side effect. So am down to 75mg and am scared to change it but have expressed interest to my doctor. She added lithium and its helping (I also take tegretol and abilify) so overall, just do your own research before taking anything. Once you are on something you should NOT quit cold turkey."

JustMe83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "HELP! I dont know what to do... I recently was prescribed Venlafaxine 37.5 and am afraid to take it. I am male 54 recently divorced and have been struggling with severe anxiety/panic attacks. The attacks come on so strong I have physically "blacked out" and fell to the floor. I have been in a "emotional hurricane" for almost 1 year since the divorce. I originally was prescribed Busiphrone (sp) and Espicalipram(sp). Severe suicidal thoughts, and suicide attempt. I am at my wits end. I have job pressure, life struggles, relationship issues. If there are any men out there who can advise .. please help!"

WTF !!! October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I suffered from depression and anxiety all through university. Effexor helped me finish my degree and I couldn't be happier. Everyone can react differently, just pay attention to your body."

Monst (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I’m 25 and have newly diagnosed fibromyalgia and depression diagnosed from a very young age (about 6 y.o) I have always felt a stabbing, “zinging” radiating / pulsating pain in more than 8 parts of my body. I know that with depression and anxiety (which I also have) it comes with the crappiness of muscle pains, general malaise and weakness. Due to kind of “holding myself together” (mentally and physically) on a daily basis , I’ve developed poor posture. Daily habits of clenching my body or hunching to dull certain pains and finding ways to sit that are moderately comfortable, have made me feel like a prisoner in my own body. After a week on these meds, I wake up feeling rested and alive! My body works how it SHOULD and the pains are gone!"

Anonymous October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I took Effexor for the first and last time yesterday around 7:41 am . At first I couldn't feel my arms or face and then it felt like fire works were going off in my head . I yawned all day long and each time I did I felt like my own tongue was gagging me . The worst of it was around 3:45 am I woke up shaking uncontrollably falling over couldn't see straight it felt like I was being electrocuted it was to the point I either wanted to be knocked out or die . My husband found me shaking and rocking back and forth in our living room floor . This drug for me personally was horrific ."

Brit91 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Zapped my sex life. Stopped erections and ejaculation. Stopped any sensation from sex. Tried ED pills to counteract but didn't work. Am going to my doctor to get off these pills. Been taking for about 4 months. Should have never started these garbage pills."

Bruno Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've struggled with GAD since my late teens which worsened following a tragic and untimely death in the family..which also lead to PTSD I tried numerous anti depressants but most of them slowed me down I didn't want this. So many years ago maybe 12 years ago I was prescribed effexor since then my dose has gone up and down I'm now on 225mg daily I was able to come off them cold turkey for 3 pregnancies I can only suggest early pregnancy hormones took over as withdrawal effects were minimal. But in general withdrawal effects are horrendous if I miss a day or 2 as I've failed to collect them on time I have an upset stomach...sweating and termors...nightmares, feelings of terror, luckily they work fast! I'm a fan they help & make me feel normal"

Gemini81 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Venlafaxine didn't work well for me, although I was no longer anxious, I did feel like I was a zombie. My message to anyone trawling the internet for answers & hope. YOU WILL GET BETTER! It may take time and trial/ error with your treatments, but every human being is different so if one treatment worked for someone and not you, then there are a whole host of other treatments & combinations. Talk to people whether family, friends, support groups, online forums. Go to your doctor or consultant and take all the help you can. If you are not happy with your treatment, ask for a different healthcare professional. As I write, I am in recovery on Sertraline. I have agorophobia, but am starting to get back to a somewhat normal life."

Recovery! October 9, 2017