User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

5.5
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1194 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Depression: "Though the medication helped my depression, I (a 20 year old female) started having incredibly painful acid reflux and heartburn after just a month or 2 of taking it. The acid reflux has dissipated since switching to different medication, but I still have bouts of it from the harm it caused to my stomach. I had never experienced any type of heartburn or acid reflux before being prescribed this drug."

H369 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I read all the reviews and still thought I could beat the odds and it "might" work for me. The first day of taking it I was so shaky, nauseous, and it made me even more depressed than usual. I am not on any other meds so I figured I would try this first since my doctor just kept recommending it to me. NEVER AGAIN!!! Even if you think your that 1 in a million who won't get the side effects don't risk it!! There's so many others out there to try it's not even worth the one day of being suicidal and miserable"

Rje877 January 21, 2017

For Migraine: "I was aware of the side affects, however, when you have 15 years of constant pain you will try anything! I have recently started Botox for my migraines my Neurosurgeon had said last year that he was going to take me off the medicine. By reading the reviews, I know brain zaps and other conditions would be a struggle. I was only taking 150mg in the morning of Effexor. I just started taking 1 in the morning and I've done fine since. One day I did forget to take the 1 dose and by 8pm I was feeling brain zaps. So I looked up other reviews and they stated to take a xanax in place. I'm going to alternate 75mg one day and xanax the other. Eventually the side affects will go away. Be careful getting off this medicine! It works, but is hell lol"

JoyJoy3190 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Have been taking this for over 5 yrs and have found it to be pretty good overall. Have had no side effects like the ones mentioned here by others so it's obviously very individual. Have noticed recently tho that its effectiveness has been waning so am now on Mirap to try to boost my depression am completely drowsy nearly all the time!?"

Dinnikins (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Find another medication. This caused me horrible memory problems, I have been out of work for the last 9 months because of it. My lying psychiatrist told me the side effects were minimal, even though I specifically asked her to tell me the side effects before I agreed to take the medication."

Anonymous January 19, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "I have been taking Effexor for three years now and I've had good luck with it. I take 150 mg per day. I have panic disorder and depression and Effexor has been a godsend. I haven't had a panic attack since I started it 3 years ago. The only downside is if you miss a dose you really feel it."

Verniece (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed Effexor 150my about ten years ago for anxiety and depression . I was experiencing a difficult time in my work life as a high school teacher , single parent and also started drinking heavily. I gave up work and went to AA , and worked on improving my circumstances.With medication, CBT and AA , my anxiety disappeared. In that time I blindly took effexor, nobody said get off it? I took effexor for the next ten years , going off once in 2009 by the suggested methods but eventually went back on because of anxiety . I decided to go off completely, using suggested methods and was free of all meds Sept 2015. I could cope with physical side effects but mood anger, anxiety lasted another 9 months b4 I was free. I did this alone."

Austrach (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This med was given to me to replace lexapro and klonipin I took the med as directed and had the worst week of my life. The vivid dreams caused me to believe my sister and friends we're sneaking around trying to take my house or shooting me and burning it down it was so real to me. The tremors were uncontrollable I didn't know what day it was, I was living a nightmare. I'm 55 with two adult children I couldn't drive walk work it made me a zombie. I wouldn't give this med to my worst enemy. Every side effect I had"

Veniceboy January 13, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "4 week on 37.5mg and my irritability and anxiety is so much better. My horror week before periods - is no more. The PMDS was well treated as was the mild underlying anxiety felt during rest of month. Side effects for me were headaches for first week, visual change (2 weeks) and feeling tired (lasted a few days). None of which would make me stop given positive benefits."

Reese_Oz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been on this Generic XR capsule 150 mg.just 4 days and have nausea, shakiness, blurry vision, insomnia, crying spells. This is awful and getting off this right away! Was on just before I started taking this was just 2 tablets, twice a day 75mg. No problems of side effects. Just wasn't working much anymore. There is a difference on side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

For Depression: "I really want to get off this drug I never get headaches but since taking this drug I have been getting them, severe heartburn and nausea, overall feeling really bad every day. Had the worst anxiety attack I have ever had scared the hell out of me. I have never felt so hopeless, worst drug I have ever used never again."

Anonymous January 9, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

For Hot Flashes: "I was prescribed venlafaxine 4 years ago for menopausal night sweats and lack of sleep. I began with 37.5 but after a few months was increased to 75 mg because my body was now used to the lower dosage and I appeared to be returning to original symptoms. My last prescription I requested the pills dispensed in 37.5 as I want to come off the drug completely and unfortunately this is the lowest dosage they are available in. I have tried a couple times to come off the drug (37.5) but the dizziness and brain jolts are unbearable and I just go back to taking them again. I have read several blogs on coming off the drug and the only way I see is gradual decrease even down to counting the tiny balls. Just started 1 every other day! Fingers xx'd"

NBL January 6, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

For Fibromyalgia: "This should be BANNED! I hallucinated, had VERY vivid dreams/night terrors, night sweats/periodic bouts of sweating, seizures, heart palpitations, sleep walked, raised my blood pressure, anger issues, constipation, shakes/tremors, almost died on numerous occasions from dehydration, lack of nutrition and lack of care for myself. My doctor REFUSED to take me off so a few years later, I took myself off and changed physicians. I have NEVER had any of those symptoms listed above since. Do NOT TAKE THIS! IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!! Please withdrawal this medication from the market as soon as possible."

Me. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Change my life. When I am off off meds I know the difference. Keeps me calm. Not nervous or upset all the times."

smack47 December 30, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was on 150mg at first as I was suffering from major depression and terrible anxiety. I was also seeing a councillor once a week. The 150mg didn't really help me but then the doctor increased it to 225mg and the improvement started quickly. A few months later the depression has gone and I rarely get any anxiety. This medicine has saved me. I was heading for a major breakdown and had constant suicidal thoughts. The only thing that kept me going was my young son as I knew I had to stay for him and would fight to the bitter end until I got well again. Now I'm so much better. It's so strange when you look back on how ill you were only a short time ago and how quickly things can change and improve with this medicine and therapy."

Bille1979 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016