User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Somatoform Pain Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,626 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Psychiatrist started me at 37.5mg going up to 150mg. Was on that dose for 2 months with no positive effect but a muscle ache which my psych didn't think was the drug (but it turned out to be the drug causing it). He made me go up to a 375mg dose over the next month (despite feeling worse with every increase) which made my muscle ache unbearable. Couldn't get out of bed due to pain, desperately wanted to sleep to get away from it. Tapered down and by 75mg had no muscle ache whatsoever but suffered horrible nausea, brain zaps and shakiness from withdrawal that I am still feeling very strongly after being completely off the drug for 1 and a half weeks. My brain feels like mud. In future, if I think a drug is causing bad side effects over 2 months in I am going to go off it because of this terrible experience. My depression is significantly worse than it was before I started Effexor."

Jeff October 11, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I started on Effexor four weeks ago at 37.5mg for a week and was advised to increase to 75mg. My initial side effects for the first three days were excessive fatigue, I think I slept for two days straight. I also had nausea and sweating. After four days the side effects stopped except the nausea still continues. My overall mental health is a lot better. I am calmer, less stressed, and able to concentrate better. I have also lost 6kg since starting the medication. So far I'm happy on it, the nausea is slowly subsiding but is still there."

Laura (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I took Effexor 150mg. I had the usual sexual side effects associated with antidepressants. Tapered off under my Doctors guidance. My sex drive never returned and that was almost 13 years ago. It basically turned me A-sexual or chemically castrated me."

Ruined4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was given a dosage of 75 mg for as month then up to 150 mg. It has been the worst experience I've had with any medication. After 10 weeks my new psychologist has started weaning me off. It will take 4 months in order to avoid the worse effects. Anxiety, suicidal thoughts , headaches, stomach problems.... just a few of my side effects."

Fed up (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Agoraphobia wise: 7/10 Panic disorder: 7/10 Anxiety: 6/10 Depression: 6/10 Derealization/Depersonalization: n/a still working on it. Honestly, out of all the meds I’ve been on in the past two years this is the best one. It’s not the greatest one I’ve had (I had celexa which was the best, then I went off of it, but when I went back on I had a bad reaction) but it’s definitely not the worst (lexapro gave me the worst side effects). Everyone is different! I take Effexor with 0.5/1 mg of Ativan a day and it helps me get through."

Mex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was prescribed 75 mg Effexor for my depression. Took the medication for only four days and had to stop it, as my depression deepened. I went into rolling panic attacks. I did not get an hour of sleep for four days, despite feeling completely exhausted. The world made no sense. Life made no sense. I couldn't stand my head and the thoughts in it. It is not true that the drug can cause increased suicidal thoughts only in young people. People should be very careful with this drug!"

Acer (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrible drug. My wife encouraged me to stay on it for 7 days (wanted to quit after 4 days). For 7 days felt like I was in the throes of a monster panic attack. Probably slept a total of 15 hours all week."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I don't recommend it. My doctor and I were trying to find something to decrease my anxiety and abate any depression. SNRIs, in my opinion, are not helpful for anxiety because norepinephrine is a catecholamine and is released during an anxiety attack. It increased my anxiety to such an extent that I became agoraphobic for the first time in over 10 years and the feeling of doom followed me wherever I went. I decided to decrease my dosage by half since I still had the lower dose from earlier in my treatment and discussed with my doctor about discontinuing it and starting an SSRI (started Zoloft). Since stopping Effexor, the anxiety is decreasing as the med is leaving my body."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have used venlafaxine for over 10 years after suffering with GAD secretly for 4 years before addressing my problem. The anxiety had become so bad I could not eat, go outside or function in general. The 37.5mg daily dose has steadily worked for me. I still get the occasional anxiety flare up but nothing compared to before I was medicated. I attempted to come off the drug once and my GAD returned fully within 5 months of not taking it. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need this drug until I die. If 1 reasonable dose allows me to live normally it is worth it."

Robo (taken for 10 years or more) October 2, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine was working good for me. It was helping me. I have been on it for at least 6 months I'd say and I never had problems except when I forgot to refill and didn't take it I would go through bad withdrawals. I also had been drink alcohol with it & never had a problem but now lately its been pretty bad when I drink. I get suicidal thoughts & have not been feeling right. I recommend not drinking with this. I'm a 21 year old female .. I will be going to my Doctor about this next week. It's really not a good combo, I used to think I was okay mixing it with alcohol but recently these thoughts of mine have not been good. Other than that the medicine does work for my social anxiety I thought.."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "Been on this drug previously for about half of a year and it didn't work. I became manic and had thoughts of suicide after I was increased to 225mg. That first time I was introduced with a starting dose of 37.5mg for a week and then upped to 75mg and had no side effects at start. My new doctor wanted me to try it again almost 10 years later after we tried Celexa and had no change. The doctor was out of town and another doctor prescribed a starting dose of 75mg and instructions to up to 150mg in a week. Four days after starting I started having tremors, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. 7th day I started the 150mg and started vomiting and tremors were way worse. Went back to the 75mg the next day and asked doc for a new med, he said to stick it out because the doctor who prescribed started too high. I realized I was stupid to be on it again in the first place. I quit them."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medication at 225mg for over 3 years. It has recently been increased to 300mg. I have anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and some PTSD. The Venlafaxine helps me to function. I expect without it I would be back in the mental hospital. I wish it was a cure, but it only reduces some of the symptoms."

Lucky (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Effexor has destroyed my life. Its gave me PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) It basically chemically castrated me. I experienced the sexual side effects while on the med. Stopped meds under Dr. advice. Sex drive never returned and its been 13 years. This is purely the worst drug that has the potential to destroy a persons life forever. STAY AWAY DONT RISK THE POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS THAT WILL LAST FOREVER WITH NO CURE"

PSSDForum (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I took this medication for about 2 years and honestly it worked pretty well. I was able to let things roll off my back. After losing my job and health insurance I could no longer afford it so I had to stop it cold turkey. The withdrawals have been the absolute worst experience I’ve ever had. I have been off of this for 3 months and I still have brain zaps and dizziness. I think the medication works well as long as you don’t run out. It did cause me to gain a lot of weight and I felt sleepy while taking it. I would take something similar if I could as long as the withdrawal effects weren’t as severe as this was. If you can do without it then I would suggest you try that or ask for something different."

Kimmysoux (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor changed my way of life completely. I couldn’t get out of bed to do minor house work. I can actually get things done now. I feel happy again, like I used to be. I want to make plans with friends now. I am just a nicer person. My panic attacks have stopped. I am pleasant to my spouse and children now. I feel I am in control of my life again."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Worst med I've ever taken! I only took it for 5 days as the side effects were so bad there was no way I was going to even try and continue to see if they stopped. My body would twitch and convulse. Anytime I tried to rest or sleep I became so restless I had to get up and walk or move. Normal side effects too- dry mouth, extra edginess and anxiety....it was bad. Stay away from this one! Even two weeks later my body still twitches on its own. One time it woke me up because of how strong my legs and arms were moving."

Dgirlrun (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Cons: - Weight gain - Suicidal ideation - Extreme dry mouth - Migraines - Horrible Withdrawal I found this medication overall just not for me. I’m on it for BPD, Major depressive disorder, social anxiety, General anxiety, OCD & PTSD."

Vypes (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "I was on citalopram and propranolol after a breakdown as I couldn't go out for 6 months. Totally given up on myself. Citalopram helped although I gained weight but I was always tired everything was an effort. Another few breakdowns and couldn't walk over a bridge. I asked doc to change. He gave me venlaflaxine 37.5mg right away felt better. My doc has wanted me to go up higher dosage but a must say am so happy got a new job going on holidays and just happy happy. I split the pill half morning half about one in the afternoon and I'll stick to that dose but if I need to go higher I will cause a will never want to feel like lifes over again. I've so much energy now and always looking to the future. x"

Fatburd (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

For Depression: "Was on lexapro for 9 years for anxiety/panic disorder. Right after the holidays I was plagued by OCD intrusive thoughts and depression. I switched to venlafaxine ER in May, it was a direct switch. I did have some stomach upset the first couple of weeks. It helped me function. I still had some obsessive thoughts and anxiety and was definitely lowered but that may be bc I was primarily depressed. Missing a dose will cause horrible withdrawal. Now am switching to Zoloft and has not been easy. I am currently on day 4 of feeling hungover (dizzy, nauseous, brain zaps, stomach upset, sweats). I also wanted to be on something safer for pregnancy. I’d advise you to think long and hard before trying this med.. if you are desperate to feel better and know you will never miss a dose and can be on it for life or don’t mind the horrible withdrawal even when just switching to a different one. Regardless, I hope you find one that helps you. Stay strong. You are loved & worthy of it."

Sensitivesoul September 25, 2018

For Anxiety: "My doc put me on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine XR for 7 days and then increased to 75 mg XR for about 2 months. The most significant difference that I noticed from the 75 mg was my social anxiety had just about disappeared. I would still get the occasional anxiety around people, but nowhere near as bad as it once was. Never would I have believed that my social anxiety would have improved. I was at 70% improvement at this point. A couple of weeks ago she increased my dosage to 112.5 mg XR to see if we could get additional improvement. I have to say that I think this drug is a miracle worker. I feel amazing! I have this zest for life and my self-confidence has improved drastically. I feel as though I can accomplish anything. My mood is better and I feel like I can manage my stress. The venlafaxine has changed my life for the better. Be patient and give it time - I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me."

Marie83 September 24, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’ve been on 37.5mg Venaflaxine for 6 years. This prescription truly saved my life! I had such bad anxiety and panic attacks that wouldn’t go away with any form of relaxation or calming methods. This medicine took away my anxiety (which I still get anxiety at stressful times) just not as terrible as before. I like that I still have feelings and not numb to everything. It changed my life for the better! I hope this review helps someone in need, it truly helped me and brought me back to myself."

Liv September 24, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been taking Effexor for 12 days now, my doctor told me to take it at night because it may cause drowsiness, but I have had the opposite effect. At night I can't sleep, and I'm very fidgety and anxious. I know this is a side effect, I'm not 100% sure if it's caused by the drug but I never had this issue before. I may start taking it in the morning if it persists. All in all, I feel okay though through the day. Although I missed a dose yesterday and had to take it almost 20 hours later and I felt instantly a feeling of dread and sadness wash over me. As if I had been holding it in unknowingly for 4 days."

Anonymous September 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "I was afraid to start this medication thanks to all the negative reviews. I think people only come on here to complain so I thought I would come to say I am very happy with this medication I've been on it for over a year and my life has changed so much. I lost all the weight I gained on celexa and also am more involved in life. I look forward to things now. Yeah if you forgot your dose you feel it. But seriously if I wasn't taking this I'd be still having panic and feeling crappy. I'm not worried about withdrawal. Live your life. I got mine back."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Please DO NOT try venlafaxine until it's the last drug you try. The withdrawal symptoms are unbearable and long-lasting. Think thrice before trying venlafaxine! All the stories on the internet about the withdrawal are real!"

Francisco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...