User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 43 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 7 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1091 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been takeing this for a few years. My life has improved so much. I have some side effects and it is easy to deal with. I understand that no drug is perfect and all people are different. However for me this drug has changed my life for me and my family. Im able to deal with the side effects as long as im able to keep my family. Lots of negative info about the drug is online. I get it. Every one has a story. I would recommend this to help others as long as they address thier issues with a positive attitude."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on this med for about a year and a half. I started taking 80mg and my anxiety got so much worse the first few weekz (very common) It didn't seem to be helping much so I upped my dose about 3 months later. Went up to 100mg and had to up it once more. I'm currently on 185mg a day and it seems to help when I take it every day! (try not to miss a dose!) The symptoms I experienced are dry mouth, sleeplessness, no appetite, and no sex drive! After a while these all vanished besides the low sex drive (sadly). If I miss a dose my anxiety comes back full force (its severe!) It is a pretty good medicine if taken correctly but may have to be increased over time. Dont give up!"

Que3nb90 September 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I suffer from GAD and I have to say this medication has changed my life.. I am much happier and handle situations better. I only take 37.5 one per day usually in the morning and that works for me. The only side effects was insomnia In the beginning but now I feel calm and relaxed and I have great nights sleep. I wake up energized and wanting to start my day. This medication with therapy has done wonders. Ignore the negative and try for yourself . Reading reviews I was so scared to start this medication but I thank God I gave it a try."

Tip89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "If you want to hallucinate, lose all recollection of time since the drug enters your system, shake and sweat like a heroin addict, live in complete disarray, never talk to anyone ever again because it makes you hallucinate your friends and family are all there with you, even though you live alone... Then this is the drug for you. II was on it for Fibromyalgia and depression. It has been well after a year since I discontinued use AGAINST DOCTORS ORDERS and I still have headaches and electrical-type surges throughout my body. I took that USELESS drug for well over 3 years at its highest milligram and had to just flush them since the doctor refused to take me off of them. I had almost every single symptom listed on the manufacturer website. I STILL cannot remember those years. AWFUL!"

Worst drug ever! (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was on Effexor XR for almost 4 months for major depression and anxiety. It caused stomach upset which got worse with every increase in dosage.( I also suffer with IBS so it was hard to tell for a while if it was the Effexor or not.)The worst part however, was yet to come. I started spotting the 3rd month I was on it and by the 4th month on 150mg, I was bleeding as if I had my period every single day. My psychiatrist is tapering me off it and at 75mg now, I have less stomach pain and no bleeding. We will try Zoloft next."

Nika776 September 23, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "So, I was a 18 years old perfectly healthy and in good shape, but I was severely depressed and with some emotional issues. So I went to therapy (good decision) but she told that I was supposed to take something for my mood, so I started effexor, and have almost no side effects from it but also didn't really improved my mood, so I went to the highest dosage since I didn't had side effects, and after 8 months on it i just went cold turkey(i know) and basically i had over 100 side effects ever since its been over a year and i still have side effects, i could not sleep for days, i went hypomaniac, and MUCH more to this day i feel pain and numbness in my body and severe coordination and cognitive problems nothing seems to get better."

Fernandorna September 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was on Effexor XR (generic brand) for about 6 weeks. I am in the process of tapering off (It's NOT as bad as some people say.) While this medication did help tremendously with, both, anxiety and depression, it had its fair share of side effects that I could not live with: it exacerbated my migraines, made me feel a bit "numb" and unmotivated, and interrupted my sleep/caused me to oversleep, missing many appointments for therapy. This medication WAS helpful but it also caused harm. No major side effects when starting except headache, dizziness and nausea. The dizziness passed after 1 month."

missschris (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed Effexor after a really bad anxiety attack about 3 years ago. At first, it was really great. Less suicidal thoughts, my anxiety wasn't as bad, but I wasn't eating. I had absolutely no appetite whatsoever, I starved myself until I lost 20 lbs and they increased my dosage from 37.5 to 150 mg. It's years later and I now suffer from an eating disorder that I didn't before. The side effects; dizziness, bad coordination, insomnia, headaches, lightheadedness, and especially the fatigue, all impacted my life to the point where I dropped out of high school. The withdrawals, which occur after 24 hours of not taking the pill, make you feel inhuman. I was better before."

Really sleepy (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on several meds since I can remember. Altven medication works BUT the night sweating is unbearable. What can I do about it?"

story of my life September 19, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "On Pristique for two years with good results, then started getting really depressed. Doc prescribed 150 mg of Effexor for six weeks. I didn't feel any better and was having horrible nightmares and constipation. I was so disgusted so I weaned myself off over period of six weeks. I thought I was going insane, the nightmares increased and I was jumping out of bed during the night with leg cramps ,was nauseated and dizzy. When the dizziness got so bad that I fell down, I went to ER and they told me that was withdrawal symptoms and go back to doc. Now I am down to 37,5 mg a day. Nightmares not so severe but have terrible leg cramps. Hope to be off after one more week."

Anonymous September 19, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking Venlafaxine 75mg for about 9 months now. It has helped tremendously with my anxiety, unfortunately I've gained 50lbs on this med. I can't keep on this bc of the huge weight gain, but I wish I could. I haven't had any other side effects."

Anxiety Help (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking 75mg of effexor (the generic one, vena something) for about a month now and I Love It. After several years on Well-Butrin, this is so much better. Wellbutrin I think made my anxiety much worse. I was only on 150mg of it. When my Dr gave me 300mg of it I had a horrible reaction and was moody and mean and awful. Effexor is such a relief. It helps so much. I feel better than I've felt in years, seriously. I started working out, I'm less over emotional, I'm not depressed. I don't fly off the handle when I'm upset now. I feel like I can finally deal with things better. I also suffer with severe PMDD which makes me a miserable and angry person for 2 days a month and effexor has helped tremendously."

mel76 September 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was diagnosed with GAD with symptoms including general fatigue, anxiety, panic and insomnia. Started off at 35mg but now on 150mg in morning and 75mg at night which seems to be keeping me pretty stable. However the withdrawal is horrendous. If I miss a couple of doses I get brain zaps, I can hear my eyeballs moving in my head, very anxious and panic. It works but this is some seriously messed up stuff...I can see I may have to be on this forever wheras I gave up prozac cold turkey with no problems at all."

Betty007 September 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this medication for several weeks now (Effexor XR 37.5mg daily) and it has helped me a lot more than the Celexa I was on. Although recently (within the last 10 or so days) I have experienced very mild headaches that last a long time and feeling fatigued all day. Caffeine doesn't help and extra sleep doesn't help. I've had problems with fatigue all my life but this feels different. I am not sure if this is related to the medication because I have not had any side effects and I've been on this medication for almost a month now."

smh1094 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I Have been on this medication for 2+ years. I would not recommend a dosage higher than 37.5MG a day at 200lbs male. It keeps me awake and not having ADHD type symptoms throughout the day if i take it in the morning. I have tried Prozac and it only made my symptoms worse not better. As a night person who had sleeping cycle problems from a young age."

Alternativee30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

For Depression: "This medication really is amazing. It has worked wonders for me, lifted me out of severe depression. I'm on 300mg, also on Mirtazapine and Lurasidone. I definitely recommend this medication."

Stickyvicky (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2016

For Depression: "Venlafaxine can give you a false positive on a drug test. I'm in the military going on 17 years and I failed a drug test because of this medication. The military made me aware of my positive drug test and I gave them a list of all my medications. They were able to reevaluate my positive drug test and break it down further which showed it was in fact venlafaxine and not ampthetimines, like cocaine or meth. As for your job, I'd take them documentation and show them were venlafaxine can give a false positive and demand a review or ask to do another drug screening and have them do a full panel work up. Good luck. Hate that happened to you. Don't stop fighting till you get your job back. That's discrimination if nothing else!"

love2hunt (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Male, 6'2", 150lb. I take 75mg of Effexor XR in the AM and 15mg of Remeron in the PM for suicidal depression and generalized anxiety. Some days I take higher doses of 112.5mg and 30mg. The combination has worked wonders for my condition. I started on Remeron initially and titrated to 45mg/day, but did not feel it was working for my depression, although it did help with sleep and appetite. I tried gabapentin for a while and was able to quit Remeron entirely for some time (wanted to give my receptors a break). Gabapentin was great for anxiety but made me more suicidal. I quit gabapentin and went back on just 15mg of Remeron, this time also adding the Effexor. I have been very happy with the results. It seems to be the first medication that really works for me. I had significant side effects when starting Effexor, but they subsided completely after about a week- feeling high much like MDMA, and I had diarrhea and some insomnia. When I increased from 37.5 to 75 mg, the only con I noticed was lower energy level (and some yawning). I started drinking some coffee to help with that. This is a very serious medication to be taking, as I know it can be very hard to withdraw from; however, I am committed to sticking with it. Eventually may increase my dose up to 150mg. Effexor makes me feel very mellow. I am less concerned about what people think of me. I am quite confident with the ladies. My sex life has been better than ever on this med combination. I have wondered if my sense of humor is dulled, however. I am also somewhat lazy, but this may change when I go up to a higher dose. Risk-taking behaviors should be watched when increasing the dose, as I broke my ankle playing sports. Overall, I give this medication 9/10 and am very happy that I got the script. I recommend taking it with Remeron to better manage the nighttime, and to counteract the side effects. They have a wonderful synergy. My only concern is that they may eventually stop working, and I may eventually have to stop taking them and suffer the infamous withdrawals."

Roger33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Effexor is amazing. I have PTSD and cyclothemia. I went through therapy and then added this years later. I am stronger, enjoy life and I actually have a better sex life cuz I'm in a better mood and can feel emotionally what I need to. For the women out there: I tried to push past the numbness and I can now can achieve full multiple orgasms. There's away if you are determined enough. Best of luck to everyone trying hard to maintain a peaceful life full of hope and self love."

Goingunknown September 12, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on venlafaxine now for 3 years. It works well most of the time but I find I need to change the dose, usually lower it, due to wild increases in either anxiety or jitters. THings settle down then I can can go back up. I haven't insisted on med change because when I am feeling good things are great. Just wish i could feel great more often."

shoresman (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Been taking small dose twice a day for a week or two. Gives me energy. And while its time to relax, i can still relax. No side effects so far."

Shannontobyhenry September 12, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Started effexor after citalopram stopped working for anxiety and depression, been taking it for 3 years, was up to 150mg, tapered down to 37.5mg, slowly over 6 months, mainly because of weight gain, and feeling more calm, No problems in reducing, but am reluctant to go lower in case of a relapse, has anyone lost weight after reducing the dose, or do you have to come off completely ? I rate effexor, except for weight gain, and sweating, the only med that has made me function normally,"

lily 1 September 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Adding just 37.5mg of Effexor to my 15mg of Remeron had quite an impressive effect for my depression and anxiety. I titrated to 75mg and have stuck with that for several months with great results. This is the first medication that I feel has truly worked for me. (In the past, I've taken bupropion, hydroxyzine, propranolol, gabapentin). The combination with mirtazapine makes for almost a perfect synergy. I feel that I have achieved true therapy and healing since I started taking "california rocket fuel"."

Duckyjwalker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

For Depression: "Hi , I need info about Effexor [ venlafaxine ] 225 mg . Two weeks ago , i had a drug test required for my job . The result turn out false positive for cocaine ! I am 57 years old male , and totally never took cocaine in my life . I was fired on the spot from my job . I am devastated . There was no way that i could protest this result . I am a pipelines worker , and in my 37 years experience at work , this has never happend to me . This was a urine test . Please , if anybody here can help with advices , i would be so grateful . This is absolutely unfair , unreal . Thanks for reading Peace Rene"

beau57 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Three years ago I was in a deep depression due to life events. My career changed, my spouse cheated and my son had a medical crisis. I went on Effexor. It worked well. I was so depressed I don't think I could explain how I'll my brain felt. I was on Effexor for about a year. Then felt better and came off of it. I had zero withdrawal. When I was on it the only side effect I had was ringing in my ears, grinding my teeth and sweating. Fast forward three years. Another life event and felt myself getting depressed. Doctor put me on Effexor 75mg. First pill made me violently ill. My head I thought would split in two. I suffer from migraines and this headache was different. My stomach felt like acid had been poured in it. I kept vomiting."

L1bbs September 11, 2016