User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

5.2
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1244 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have only been on it a couple of days, but the side effects are terrible. I am prone to insomnia, and this exacerbates it terribly. Even with 10mg of Ambien at bedtime, I am only getting 3.5 hours of sleep. I am also having muscle shakes, mostly at night. I'm having daytime muscle twitching that causes me to be very uncoordinated and drop things. Last night while I was trying to sleep I saw strange geometric patterns, and when I would get close to actually falling asleep I would see a bright flash of light and hear a booming noise which would wake me back up again. Considering all of that I am able to function pretty well in the day time. Also: constipation..."

37.5mg SID (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I just started taking it within the last few days, and I have been so nauseated since then. My head feels a little cloudy, too. I'm really hoping those side effects go away soon."

Danielle34 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Found this medication excellent with my depression recovery. However when you do start to feel better, the medication makes me feel lazy at times and has made me put on about 3kgs."

KrugerAM March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "Started 37.5 Effexor 2 weeks ago. Haven't really noticed any decrease in my pain level from fibromyalgia. Feel very foggy, drinking more coffee in the morning to clear my head. Not sleeping well at night, 3-4 hrs a night at most. I've noticed a huge change in my vision, eyes are extremely dry during daytime when wearing my contacts but continuously watering at night. I don't think this medicine is for me. Contacting Doctor about stopping. Very concerned about the withdrawals I'm reading about...."

Denigra (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Just started taking it and I feel so sick and wanna vomit"

Anonymous March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Started effexor 75 in Oct start feeling fantastic beside dry mouth and a bit of nausea. Doctor up it to 150mg in November. I felt like a whole different person I got my life back but due to some side effects of the drug causing constipation and facial twitching in my lower lip and body jolts doctor tried to ween me off 150 mg taking one pill every second day it was too fast to soon. Wow just as well if I had done it cold turkey. Brain zaps, crying, feeling lost in my own body. Scared tremors. It has been almost 2 weeks with no effexor and I have got vertigo, felt like I was going to die. Today I started taking 150mg again today and already feel a difference. This could be my drug huge difference in mood ,zapping gone and dry mouth is back I can live with that ."

Hello from the other side March 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I suffer from severe leg pain and all over body pain that Dr says it is fibromylgia. Anyway I started taking 75.Mg. Venlafaxine from last few days and feeling kind of good. Pain is little so I feel good. But all the people's reviews are scary. I don't know what to do. but this medicine is good for anxiety and pain. it helps a lot."

Union square March 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "If I had to choose which medication to stop taking, either my heart medicine or my Venlafaxine/Effexor, I would rather go without my heart med! For years I went from doctor to doctor trying to get someone to do something about the depression that I had experienced since puberty. Everyone just blew me off. The doctor that finally put me on Effexor XR saved my life. This is not one of those meds that you have to wait forever to see results. I felt better right away! The crying spells stopped. I was talking to people again. I was getting my life back! It has caused weight gain, about 10 pounds per year. Just be aware of that. They have tried to take me off of it for that reason but nothing else helps nearly as much."

Sherry Lea March 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have been on Venlafaxine for 10 years now and couldn't be happier. I see all the negative comments on here but you need to remember that these reviews are our experiences, how our bodies reacted, your body may react different. How many times have you changed meds in order to find the right one? It's no different with this one, well maybe a little because you need to lower your dosage slowly or you will get violently ill. I didn't refill my prescription in time and I was so miserable I had to go to the ER. I gained weight on Paxil but not on Effexor but some people do. Take all these reviews, evaluate, make a list of questions for your doctor and then decide if you want to give it a try."

Red1968 (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I'm taking 75 mg Effexor XR and my life is changing for the better. I no longer feel stress when I'm around people. Socializing is not such an ordeal anymore. My social anxiety started when I was 12. Wish Effexor was around back then. Hope Effexor helps everyone. First 10 days are not easy: anxiety , teeth clenching , nausea and diarrhea.. hang in there and give it time to work."

Shari lee March 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I am so very thankful for this medication. It has allowed me to get a handle back on my life. I have panic attack disorder, separation anxiety, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was prescribed the Effexor for my depression. I was so depressed that I wouldn't leave bed, I'd have crying fits daily, everything would upset me, and I had suicidal thoughts. I take 150mg daily, as well as some other medications, and I can honestly say I am a huge fan. I haven't had any side effects, I don't go through withdraw if I don't take it the same time daily, it doesn't cause any serious problems. My only advice is to take it with food, like most medications. Although this drug works for me, it might not work for everyone."

ep1268x March 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "70 mg worked great for hot flashes but sexual side effects were a problem. Reduced down to 37.5 mg and that helped. Still have a few hot flashes but they are tolerable. This med is also used off label to help chronic back pain which I have. Helps uplift your mood too."

Cher bear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on this for over ten years. I don't recommend it to anyone who will ever want to get off it as withdrawal is HORRIFIC. No exaggeration. Has it helped the depression well enough so I'm functional? Absolutely. Has it "cured" me? No. It just makes life bearable. I should add that I also have BPD, so not being uselessly depressed all the time didn't solve everything. All that said, I have most recently stopped it (again ) thanks to my angry, destructive nature. I'd been on 300mg and did a quick lowering of dosage to get off it. I just want to be myself as a mess instead of a drugged-up version of myself as a mess. Isn't there something wrong when a drug so greatly changes your brain? Doesn't its bad withdrawal mean it's dangerous?"

Lopki (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cataplexy: "its a no brainer, without I am as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, with 75 mg per day I am confident for any situation, it changed my life in 1 day. To not be able to take part in every day life, to not smile laugh love be hurt be funny be normal. Any risk of emotion, tipped me of the edge and I do mean any, You know when life is bad, when your scared to cross a road fearful of not getting to the other side without collapsing in a quivering heap Before diagnosed life was an every day hell thank god for it, easy to take, and many years later the same now just like the first time. Work a treat good luck \Robert Marsden"

Robert Marsden (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffered from anxiety, depression, mood swings and nasty guilt so badly that I almost walked out of my job and wanted to give up period! I have been on the XR and tablet form, and I all I have to say is the tablet form seems to work better for me. Most of the past year, I have been on 75mg. It numbs my emotions. Don't feel as sad anymore but it took the edge off of anything that makes me happy. Since I told my doc that I don't like XR version she recently upped my tablet dose to 75mg 2x a day! These past days have been horrible. Makes depression worse. Staying on 75 but honestly I think this med has to be combine with another anti depressant to achieve remission. Not as effective by itself. Hence 7/10"

Millennial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I'm at 225mg. There may, or there may not, be leg side effects. It can create -- or increase -- muscle rigidity. A massage will painful to the point of bliss -- the pain feels soooo good. But, if you start to get spasms WHEN YOU LIE DOWN they will be a whole different kind of pain! So strong they have now torn two tendens in my left leg the last 2 years. Effexor? In hospital they gave me my dose in the early morning and I had no spasms at night. But they also gave me morphine, oxy, and valium. NICE!!! At home, night dose > night spasms! Dose in afternoon > very few spasms. Love to hear from others!"

SitaKat March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Seems to work well. I am less angry. Call other drivers a Knuckle head now instead of a stupid SOB. lol It made me really sick at first with 50mg twice a day but Dr changed to 25mg twice a day for two weeks & I built up a tolerance to it. Now back to 50mg 2 times daily with no problem. I do now have a low tolerance for some foods that I use to eat with no problem. Mostly spicy foods (Italian, Mexican, Honey mustard etc.)"

CDEvansJr (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I originally took effexor 9 years ago at the 75mg dose for anxiety and I ended up in the ER with flushing and brain zaps. But I figured out that not everyone can take 75mg. I opened up the capsule and started with 10mgs . What an amazing medication. I weaned off after a year 1 mg a week for 10 weeks and no side effects. Now that I am in perimenopause and have IBS and severe irritability and anxiety and feel ill a lot I am back on the effexor 10 mgs a day. This medicine works great but wish doctors realized the pharma companies have no knowledge of how much an individual should start with. I will work up to 20 mgs because."

Chamonix0522 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Hi, I was on Effexor a few years ago and got off of it because I was doing much better but now I am starting to get back on it, I'm on 37.5 and it's day 8 and I feel awful. Super anxious and can't eat, the thought of food makes me wanna puke. I'm really scared. Has anyone had this and does it go away? I don't remember having this the first time around :("

Allie 1987 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am sure Effexor has helped many people over the years. I was one of the first patients to take Prozac I was given ever increasing doses as my depression increased. At first, I was HEALED! I wound up in hospital with psychotic break, due to SSRI's. Effexor was given to me a few years later ( Doctors still did not correlate medication as possible issue ) and again I got more depressed. At this point I was taking a bi-polar med Lithium. The Dr. abruptly stopped Effexor from a high dose., and I do not remember the next month. I was on the payphone in a psych- ward talking to my Mom and came back. The nurses said I do not want to know what happened. I take my meds everyday, at the same time, see my Dr. every 3 months, and am well."

Experimental One (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Annoyingly, this drug elevates my baseline ability to tackle new things but makes old habits more addictive. Guess you can't expect a tablet to do it all. I find if I don't keep challenging myself to do more I soon end up feeling quite content sitting on my bum, then I'm right back at square one. The funniest thing is, I've had to repeat this mistake over and over because I've never really had adequate support along with the tablets. But what really matters is that it's kept me going. I'm just not looking forward to having my feelings temporarily amplified 10 fold when I come off it. But for what its worth, its not actually that bad - you just find yourself ill, sobbing at adverts and becoming mindbogglingly elated over the smallest things."

Chris53621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: "At 3 months post partum I started experiencing slight symptoms of PPD. I handled it and worked myself through it, thought I had it under control until I found myself uncontrollably crying, panic attacks, insomnia, excessive anger, lots of feelings of self worthlessness. My Dr first proscribed me Zoloft at 5 months post partum, for 3 weeks I had no luck. She then switched me to Effexor xr 37.5mg, as they say, the "light bulb" came back on after 2 weeks. I have had very bad anxiety since I was 14, I am now currently taking Effexor xr 75mg daily and am at 7 months post partum. Depression, the horrible self feelings I experienced were not anything I have ever felt with prior to this experience. Effexor changed my life!"

I just wasn't me for a while (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017