User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Somatoform Pain Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1325 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have tried every SSRI except luvox and this is the only one that did anything. However it takes at least a month to work. However I went out of country and had my carotid veins widened and this extra blood flow has taken away all mental health issues or need for drugs..."

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Somatoform Pain Disorder: "HORRID. Weight gain 130lb to 165lb, I'm 5'3. Night sweats. Ice cold hand and feet. Severe dizziness, blurred vision. Constipation. Diarrhea, nausea, headaches, rapid pounding heartbeats edema, achy legs that wake me up they hurt so bad. Can't concentrate or focus at work. Black out while driving. Felt like was going to faint at work."

Back pain CarAccident (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "DO NOT TAKE!!! THIS MEDICATION RUINED MY LIFE IN THE SPACE OF A MONTH! It made me more depressed, agitated, irritable, lose my appetite, anxious beyond belief.... and that's only on the lowest dose! I cannot believe, in all my experience with depression, that an 'antidepressant' can make someone feel so depressed."

Charlie2501 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I recommend it for those who struggle with fears panic attacks social anxiety. It's really helpful after 1 month u will find it very helpful- it changed my life."

wisso (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "The generic versions are inconsistent so I have stuck to the original Effexor 150mg and also the Sandoz equivalent. It's a very good treatment for depression and also alleviates the symptoms of ADHD to some degree. Assume it's the effect of the anti anxiety that helps me get my work done. I tried to "fool" the meds by consciously thinking about depression and the sad thoughts disappeared quickly so it has a very strong and positive effect on my life."

Delicious Monster July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed this medication when Celexa wasn't working. My doctor put me on 75mg to start and that night I took my first dose at 9:30pm and by 11pm I was a total wreck. I became super nauseous and began throwing up quite a bit. My my body was restless and my arms and neck were numb and tingly. I managed to get a bit of sleep but the next morning was a write off - I felt completely disabled and lethargic. I was so weak, I could hardly hold my cell phone. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy and the brain zaps were fierce. I immediately visited my doctor and he prescribed me something else. 75mg to start was way tooooo strong for me. I can't believe the side effects I've suffered after 1 dose. My advice would to please try another option."

Skye080893 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Scary for me, took my first pill gave me tremors, couldn't sleep, kept pressing my hands and feet into my bed, my anxiety was out of control, and I was up all night ended up calling two friends and my mom and told them my pupils were extremely huge and I felt like I was on speed and I was freaking out wanted to go to the ER, felt completely out of body. Doctor told me to stop taking it ASAP and switched me to prozac, I have had the prescription. For a week and am scared to take it, I cannot have those same side effects, I thought I might die, the effects lasted 5 days eventually on the next day of being off I was able to sleep but I would wake up in the morning disoriented and depressed. I also still has muscle spasms. Will try prozac though"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had been on Prystiq for about 8 months, but I thought my mood swings, irritability, paranoid thoughts, anxiousness, etc, were a thing of the past. Also, Prystiq is an expensive drug that is not covered by my pharmacy coverage. So, I quit cold turkey. Brain zaps, zombie mode, feeling horrible were all part of what I endured, but the symptoms quickly subsided. What came back a month after stopping Prystiq was the little dark cloud and all over the other things that I thought were in my past. I was having difficult coping. Now, I am on day two of effexor (which costs pennies on the dollar as compared to Prystiq). The nausea is intense but I know that if I stick with it the results will be all for the best."

Jlove65 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Makes me very fatigued. Almost zombie like. I have a hard time concentrating on anything. Hoping it just takes some time to get in my system and work correctly. If not, going to see if I can get in something different."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started Venlafaxine 75mg SR 6 months ago. After about 3 weeks I went up to 150mg After a few of weeks of dilated pupils, headaches, insomnia, dizziness & no appetite, I definitely felt better - no more negative thought patterns & meltdowns if things went wrong or work was stressful. It did take me about 4 months for things to settle down & I am now very level & happy. My only advice would be to try really hard to persist with this (or any) new medication, the side effects DO subside & eventually should go away as long as you take the medicine exactly as prescribed & don't forget it or run out. Obviously some people have more tolerance for side effects but my GP was very supportive & caring & I am now a much happier & contented person."

Elsiesmum (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was on effexor 37.5 mg for 2 years. Worked wonders! I slowly weaned myself off it 6 months ago with minimal side effects. My anxiety has crept up on me again so I have decided to go back on it. I'm on a low dose but it works for me."

Sofieeeeee July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was given this by my doctor. I took one pill at night and had the most horrible side effects. I thought I had the flu. My whole body hurt all over. I had fluttering in my chest. I had a headache and heartburn, nausea, could not eat. Was so tired could not do a thing for 2 days these side effects went on. Did not take anymore than the one pill and said that was it for me. This is horrible feelings in the world the meds are not for me and I was on the lowest dose 37.5 so I was told. I still have a hangover from this one pill after 3 days off of it."

Horrible June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Ineffective for me. I had to stop taking it twice and the withdrawal was AWFUL! It was like what I would imagine heroin withdrawal from heroin. I highly suggest NO one use this drug for that reason."

ironyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "So this drug really helped with my depression but it also has some bad side effects. Please please please never skip a dose of this stuff. You will feel like absolute trash. As long as I take it every 24 hours it works perfectly for both my anxiety and depression but if I miss a dose, the side effects are awful. My whole body feels like white noise, my limbs buzz, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and can barely concentrate. Also, I don't know everyone else's experience with the medicine, but I used to be on the 150 mg dose and let me tell you. I couldn't orgasm no matter how much I wanted to and it sucked. I know it was the medicines fault cause when I lowered my dose to 75 mg I could orgasm again. The medicine ridiculously lowers my libido."

Sara726289 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I have chronic migraines. I was prescribed this as a preventive. One of my migraine triggers is sleep. I cannot take naps in the day time nor oversleep in the morning or else I will get a migraine. This drug makes me drowsy as all hell, such that it actually causes MORE migraines. In addition to constantly being sleepy, I of course have little energy for exercise and lost productivity at work, and in the end I still end up needing a prescription strength painkiller to deal with the migraines. Useless drug."

Laha (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "This medication is the only thing that managed to keep me functional as a human being. Panic attacks, and severe depression...this seems to do the trick for both problems, and does wonder for my IBS as well! I have started and stopped multiple times (usually just because of the "I feel fine, why bother with it?" syndrome) but the last time, the doctor told me, "Consider yourself like a diabetic; they need insulin because their body doesn't regulate it correctly. You need this because your brain doesn't regulate serotonin correctly. Don't feel ashamed! The choice is to lie around and do nothing all day because you hate pills, or take the pills and live your life." Effexor XR allows me to live normally."

Balance_Challenged June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Effexor I have tried many drugs but found that "in my case" they are not necessary. I went for an ultrasound on my carotid vein. The doctors said the flow was in the normal range but you could see that they were narrow. I went out of country to have them widened... No more anxiety and depression....drugs are cheaper and more profitable than minor surgery. I will return for stents. "

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "Two and a half months ago I was prescribed Venlafaxine to help prevent chronic migraines. It did help the migraines (reduced them by almost half), but with it came a host of side effects that were far worse than the problem I was trying to get rid of. Having now come off of the stuff, I would not recommend anyone ever use Venlafaxine unless they suffer from extreme / suicidal depression. I mean extreme in the most emphatic sense of the word. Before trying Venlafaxine, I was a writer. While on Venlafaxine, I could barely write or speak or communicate at all. More than that, I just didn't want to. Not normal for a usually outgoing extrovert. Now, I'm beginning to write again - but my ability to speak and converse with others has deteriorated by about 95%. Writing these words is taking forever; keeping up in conversation with even one person is impossible, and I barely see the point of trying either. On Venlafaxine, words pretty much left me - my conversational vocabulary was whittled down to the following: "Mmm" for yes; a sharp and clipped "Mm" for "No" "Okay." "Really?" "Oh right." "Cool." "That sucks" At the moment, I'm a week into withdrawal, and I have to try extremely hard just to make the most mundane small talk. Last night I went to a party with some close friends, cheesy '90s music, and a barbecue. About half of them are academics, and I couldn't keep up with conversations I normally would be able to; the other half like to dance and party, but I felt glued to my seat (as well as practically mute) and eventually walked off and found a quiet sofa to lie down on. I have never felt so isolated and lonely in my life. Thanks Venlafaxine. If you consider yourself a social, creative, and curious person, DO NOT TAKE EVEN ONE DOSE OF VENLAFAXINE. Unless of course you are extremely extremely depressed. I've suffered from depression in the past, but only mildly. Venlafaxine has shown me what true depression feels like. As for the other side effects: - About two days' worth of total joyful euphoria during the first 48 hours of taking Venlafaxine. Anxiety of all kinds evaporated. This felt amazing - although I can't remember what it felt like now. At the time, this extremely brief effect was powerful enough to make me feel that pushing on with Venlafaxine would be a Good Idea. - After that, I started feeling very sleepy. All the time. I slept more. No euphoria; more anxiety. - A week later, the night sweats started. My room was pretty cold (it was only spring in the UK), but I sweated more than I ever have on any tropical holiday. This meant that despite being extremely sleepy, I couldn't sleep. Since the side effects were supposed to wear off after six weeks or so, I stuck with Venlafaxine for six weeks. Over that time I became so sleep deprived that I lived in a state of permanent exhaustion. Enter the writer's worst enemy: Brain fog. I spent entire days so braindead that the most challenging thing I could manage was staring blankly at a wall - or lifting my phone to read text messages and attempt to learn something from articles about Venlafaxine. I've read the same articles countless times, but nothing sank in; every time I read the same article it felt like I was reading it for the first time. I recognised the layout and design of each webpage, and that way I was able to realise I'd read it before, but the actual text went in one eye and out the other. In conversation, I had a brain like a sieve. Words went in one ear and out the other. Normally, I could pump out a lot of writing on a regular basis; on Venlafaxine, I wrote a small and frankly pitiful handful of short and uninspired pieces, and that was it. If you love being productive and creative, do not go near Venlafaxine. The above was my life for six weeks - and that was enough. I did see family and friends while on Venlafaxine, but I constantly forgot what was going on and must have seemed scatterbrained or borderline retarded at times. Although I did explain to people what was going on with my medication, it just seemed to make people uncomfortable - and I've now become the butt of a lot of jokes relating to my consistent uselessness at everything from chatting to party games and my inability to work or do anything productive. Someone even compared me to Lenny from Of Mice And Men and asked when my family were going to take me into the back garden and shoot me in the head rather than continue to care for me. All of this contributed to the worst feeling of loneliness and isolation I have ever experienced in my life. Venlafaxine not only trapped me inside my head - it also emptied my head of anything worth remembering, and left me barely able to learn new things. I'd sit around tables with people and realise I couldn't remember the names of people I'd know for years - or even family members. I'd hear a song playing and say "Hey - what's the name of this dance?" Any sentence longer than a few words requires a minute or so to compose when written. Spoken out loud? Forget about it. When I try to speak, I sound like the Goon from Popeye. After six weeks of hell, my doctor and I agreed to taper off my 75mg daily dose. This process lasted a month, not following a particular schedule (which might have been a better idea), and was mostly side effect free until I came down to 18.25mg a day - one half of one 37.5mg tablet. After three days of that, it really hit the fan. I got up one day, pottered around a bit, and suddenly decided that I wanted to kill myself. Literally out of nowhere. Fortunately I was of sound enough mind to call the Samaritans, who recommended I call the emergency services, who sent an ambulance to take me to hospital. For suicidal thoughts. To be honest, I'd rather have gone to Disneyland. Once I was in A&E, I got to wait for several hours, just stewing in a room with a sofa and not much else. Then I met the most useless doctor of all time. After I refused his suggestion that I not only go back on Venlafaxine, but *try a higher dose* than the one that got me into this mess in the first place, he said there wasn't anything else they could do - and handed me a little leaflet for a local mental health charity meetup that happens every so often. By this point I'd decided that suicide would not be the best option - and nor would going on even more Venlafaxine than before. I also binned the leaflet on my way out, determined to keep going and just deal with the withdrawal. Since that time, my intelligence level has plummeted to the point of being humiliating. But that's not even the worst of it. As I mentioned before, I started taking Venlafaxine for migraines. Now that I'm not taking it, they're coming back again - but they've also changed. A few days ago, days before the party I should probably have stayed home for only I couldn't stand sitting at home any longer so I went and ended up alone in a darkened room and felt more depressed than I have in my entire life, I was at home when I collapsed. The right side of my body gave way, I hit the wall, and fell on the floor where I lay frozen for God knows how long. Then when I did get up, I realised I couldn't speak at all, the right side of my body was almost paralysed, and the right side of my head was numb on the outside, and in agony on the inside. After calling the emergency services again, I was taken through the standard questions I guess they ask everyone when they think the person in question is having a stroke. Like the suicidal thoughts, stroke symptoms were a new experience for me. Thanks, Venlafaxine. When the ambulance arrived, they were able to reassure me that I wasn't having a stroke, as one side of my face wasn't drooping. This was good news - but since they couldn't explain what was actually going on, I was taking to hospital for a brain scan and blood tests and a meeting with a doctor who told me I'd had a right-sided hemiplegic migraine. I'd never had one before, and didn't know they existed until then; my migraines have always felt like my head is both in a vice and exploding at the same time, and I get them across my whole head, not just one side. At this point, I'm determined to continue fighting the withdrawal symptoms. The only thing that's really helped me in doing this was the discovery of a cognitive distortion called "emotional reasoning". This involves assuming that because you feel bad, things must actually be bad. Obviously emotional reasoning (which is worth Googling as it's quite an in depth subject, or at least feels like it given that my brain's been hopefully temporarily damaged by Venlafaxine) is pretty common in depression. It's also been my brain's default way of operating possibly for as long as I can remember, but definitely since I started taking Venlafaxine. The emotional and physical and psychological rollercoaster Venlafaxine puts you through is utterly exhausting - and while it's throwing you all over the place and especially during withdrawal it's tough to keep in mind that a lot of the negative thoughts your mind throws up are going to be based on how you feel (i.e. the levels and mix of different chemicals in your brain), NOT on any Real Life Stuff. You'll most likely unintentionally filter out all the good stuff in your brain and only remember the darkest and worst things you possibly can, and attach all kinds of apparently logical arguments to make a case against yourself / a case that argues that you and your life are awful. Looking back on this experience, my thoughts were similar to one of those films you see advertised as "...based on a true story". Works of fiction based very loosely on facts. Rather than a film you'd give two stars and never watch again, emotional reasoning's end product is a lie - not to mention the most toxic thoughts a human being can think. Depression can definitely make people tell these lies to themselves - but Venlafaxine made my brain malfunction so badly that putting together an apparently sensible argument for any depressive thoughts suddenly seemed like the most obvious thing in the world one day. If I hadn't had those thoughts, I would've just made lunch. So that's about it for now - if I don't update this story in the future, assume I got better and decided to never revisit this page again, preferring to leave Venlafaxine and its horrific toxicity behind me. Good luck with your own journey :)"

Nick Name (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I never had depression in my life. Then I went through a major depression episode 2 years ago. I tried 7 different antidepressants none worked some made me even worse my doctor decided efexor I was very reluctant after reading horror stories about coming off of Efexor well I'm happy to say it worked for year-and-a-half, it had made me better within two weeks of taking it however I started to experience depression while taking it I decided to wean myself off and had no problems coming off of it. I did it slowly and it's been a month with no side effects of coming off this drug saved me from the deep dark hell of depression. Every drug is different from everybody this drug work for me I only took it for a year-and-a-half 37.5 mg."

Trisha65 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on venlaflaxine now for two years, in that time I have stupidly made attempts on my life, after trying citalopram and other antidepressants, I have to say venoflaxine has given me control over my anxiety instead of it controlling me, the only way I can describe it is the drug has opened a door, it's taken all this time to appreciate it because it's frightening to step outside your comfort zone, there is no magic pill, you have to try yourself but I've found venoflaxine has given me those opportunities to better myself that I just didn't have before, it's a very good tool but isn't a quick fix xx"

Custardjr June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "While effective for bipolar depression,this drug gave me constant daily migraines, that does not respond to any medication, that was agonizing pain. Couldn't tolerate this any more."

ert (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017