User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Somatoform Pain Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1374 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I am a woman nearing 40 who has dealt with a handful of health issues; Degenerative joint disease in both TMJ joints (20+ years), chronic migraines (20+ years), depression (20 years), and High blood pressure (6 years). I have been taking 250mg of Effexor for MANY years. Due to chronic pain my doc increased my dose to 300mg in spring. Since then my life has fallen to pieces. I have such terrible nightmares both at night and when I nap that I wake my entire 2 storey house. I have cold sweats and need to be woke up. I am usually in tears because as soon as I close my eyes I am right back in the nightmare. This goes on night after night. I am in a VICIOUS and scary cycle."

Screaming for help (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It was alright and helped a bit however being on one of the highest doses, missing a dosage was abysmal, one of the worst experiences ever. Try to find something else."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Overall, I had a positive experience with venlafaxine, but users need to be aware of how difficult it can be to quit. I was on 150mg for about 18 months - not very long - and when I wanted to come off of it, it was a very difficult experience. I still am weaning myself off grain by grain, because cold turkey is simply not an option. The main withdrawal symptom I experience is electric shock sensations in the brain. They even make a noise. I've heard that some people don't have as much of a problem with it, but I don't know how. In the beginning, I thought venlafaxine changed my life in a positive way, but over time it became somewhat less effective. It's an effective medication, but beware of the consequences. Took it with 60mg mirtazapine."

Roger333 September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Been on Effexor for five years, really helped me get over suicidal thoughts. Should be more prescribed than it is."

Shmedly (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Prevents dwelling on missed loved ones, crying, irritability, feeling left out, self-pity, resentment, bitterness. Has either hurt or failed to help low energy level, motivation, task initiation, and focus Worth it and would not want to try to live without it. If I miss a dose all that first paragraph stuff comes back but the worst is the physical brain zaps and dizziness upon standing & walking. If I miss it for 2 days or more, I get a fever and flu symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Best antidepressant I've tried. On 225mg, also on 5mg Olanzapine for BPD (helps with mood & anxiety). Best combo I've had to date, but doesn't make me energetic, but alleviates the C-PTSD, BPD and IBS, so it's a winner."

Richstad September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Worked great for Social anxiety and anxiety, the downsides for me are loss of appetite and sexual dysfunction Had no luck ejaculating when I'm on it. Other side effects disappear around 2 weeks"

Max233 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Every day I take this drug, I feel better and better. So calm, my ADD is in check and I sleep through the night. I have been on zoloft, celexa, vyvance and wellbutrin. Nothing other than benzos have taken away my generalized anxiety and made me feel calm and happy No menopause symptoms either. The only thing that scares me now is I hear how hard it is to come off of. At this point I don't want to come off of it. But I have come off zoloft, vyvance and wellbutrin. Why would it be so much harder to come off than those medications. I don't suffer from depression just debilitating anxiety and it has literally improved my quality of life 100percent. All's I hear are horror stories and I don't get it. Love to hear from other good experiences"

Miss Clairol (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "150mg/day. The first med I have taken that has very effectively tackled BOTH depression and anxiety/OCD. I believe this is due to Venlafaxine being an SNRI med (as opposed to an SSRI), which more effectively treat anxiety and obsessive thinking disorders, as well as depression. Drawbacks include the usual limitation on being able to feel deep emotion, a feature in many meds, which is a relief to some people and a hindrance to others. I've also found it to encourage apathetic feelings in situations or subjects that I would usually find emotive; not a bad thing if the issue was something I would previously obsess about, but not so good if trying to feel empathetic toward the feelings of others. Overall, it has been an absolute lifesaver"

Juggle123 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "I was always kind of a nervous person but was able to deal with it. But as I got older (40's) it began to impact me more and more. Soon I found myself avoiding most human interactions. Couldn't stand in line, get on the bus, get my hair cut, meet people. While attempting to do these things I would sweat, my brain would lock up, I would turn red, my breathing became rapid, I just needed to escape immediately. Just a complete mess. If any interaction could not be completed in five seconds I would not do it. Couldn't even visit my Doctor because of the waiting room. But now on Effexor I feel SO much better. Been about a year, but the results came after about a month. Feel what I imagine normal is. Changed my life."

Jamie in Seattle August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "A few years ago I was in highschool and I had a good friendship and one day he told the teacher and he told me I can no longer talk to this friend. I crashed into a bad depression and I was on zoloft at the time and I went to see my doctor up it but it made me tired during the day and he took me off it and gave me this and it was the worst medication I have taken and it made me worst high anxiety more depressed tired ,could not sleep a nausea and vomiting. I will never take this medication ever again"

detour12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was on this medication for about a year and never felt like it ever did anything other than make me irritable and kill my sex drive. It was extremely hard to wean off the 75mg dose which is a comparatively low dose. All up it took me about 6 months to come off it completely and the withdrawal effects after missing a dose would begin within just a few hours (brain zaps, twitchy etc). What I'm amazed about is the fact the doctor who put me on it initially didn't tell me any of the side effects and didn't warn me how hard it was to come off. I realise it probably works for some people but as a dispensary tech I see people coming in who are taking 300mg of this stuff a day. I shudder to think how hard it will be for them to stop this drug."

pushupstairs August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "felt the difference within days"

AnxiousGeorge (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!"

momof4minions August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "37.5mg makes life liveable again. The experience of missing a dose is not fun. Otherwise, this drug saved my marriage and my job."

RibbledyDabbleFrabbit (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Effexor has been a Godsend for me. I went through every med out there to control my depression and anxiety attacks. I have been on it now for 11 years, and it's still working just fine. I'm not saying every day is roses and rainbows, but, if I can have 6 out of 7 days positive, it's a far cry better than 7 out of 7 horrible."

MudBug (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I took effexor for almost 7 years, the worst years of my life. I was angry and furious all the time, my anxiety was horrible and I cannot say it helps with the depression. I realised that effexor change my pesonality when I stop to take it and some how I was back to normal, except that my memory was very poor. To avoid the withdrawal my family doctor put my on cipralex, which give me palpitations, and after Zoloft that did nothing to me, remeron which worked for 3 months (helped me enormous with my insomnia) and after no more benefits and 10 kg more, water retention , I tried for 1 week Prozac and I woke up in a full panic attack at 4 o clock in the morning, horrible. Now I am taking only clonazepam as needed 0.5mg and is working like a charm"

Lilly from Montreal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have a significant loss of motivation but this is not new. Effexor has not helped this symptom."

Kjs1216 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "So I have OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Possible ADD and I have been on many different medications for the past ten years and this medication has relieved my symptoms. Before taking this medication I was takin Luvox 300mg and Valium as needed. Before that I was taking all sorts, up to 5 different ones at a time including Seroquel which put in weight. I now feel more cheerful, not depressed, less obsessive thoughts, less anxiety and can concentrate better. I now feel I can do more in my life. I am also less moody. I am currently taking Efexor XR 150mg."

Cammando (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Only take Effexor if you want to be on it for life. The withdrawal lasted 3 months for me. I think my body and mind are permanently damaged from this drug. It helped anxiety by numbing me but at the same time, made me more depressed at times."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017