User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

4.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 1044 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Effexor XR is effective in low dose for hot flashes. Sadly the doctors follow the guidelines presented by the pharmaceutical companies for dosing and everyone is different. DO NOT take 75 mg a day! . LOW DOSE is effective for both hot flashes and mild depression . I mean open up the capsule, count out 10 of the small balls of medicine and take that daily. After 2 weeks less effective and can increase to 15 to 20 balls a day. Track HFs on a calendar. Never stop without tapering down! COUNTER WITHDRAWAL WITH VALIUM, XANAX, ATAVAN, any benzos will do. These will stop brain jolts or vertigo withdrawal symptoms!!!! This med Iis strong. If this dosnt work for you, you can always increase. With my plan you can avoid withdrawal completely!"

Fineone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I have taken Effexor for twenty-five years. I take 75 milligrams at night. I sleep like a baby even though I am 70 and most women my age have some sleep issues. I actually was diagnosed with adult ADD and prescribed the medication for that. I also had anxiety, a hair trigger anger problem, and no social filter. My psychciatrist didn't tell me all that, just that I had ADD. I could accept meds for that. The Effexor started to work within a week and I would not be without it. I like myself a lot better today than before Effexor."

Hudit (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Terrible med. for me like it was for a lot of people. I used it for 6 weeks (enough time to get into my system). It caused panic attacks, which was not fun. I would have several each day. I was taking this med. for anxiety and depression. I cried every single day, and several times a day on this med. and I did not sleep a full nights sleep for the entire duration. I felt way more sad, and felt like I was in a zombie like state daily. I read reviews of this drug and prayed that I would soon start to feel better, and wouldn't be one of those that this drug did not work for. Alas, I was one of those. I stopped taking Effexor, cold turkey 5 days ago. Best thing I ever did. I experienced some withdrawal symptoms, like severe brain zaps"

Cinnabuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I just wanted to let you all know my current situation in regards to this medication. I have taken Effexor XR for 12-13 years. The overall results have been good. I just wanted to share this experience. I had a MIR for chronic abdominal pain 18 months ago. The MIR discovered a shadowing on my lungs. This shadow was caused by the Effexor XR. This shadow is what we experience while on this medication as a shortness of breath. I did furthur research and the Effexor XR does contribute to lung conditions that cause shortness of breath and difficulity in breathing while exerting yourself. I have undergone several MRI's showing different levels of this lung shadow. I am currently seeking other treatments for my depression."

Concerned Ellen August 17, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Did not help me, and I gained weight."

LolliH August 17, 2016

For Depression: "this med did its job reasonably. Didn't necessarily keep me out of the dumps all of the time, but I could cope with life better. Started with 37.5mg ER, then switched to sertraline for 2 weeks due to insomnia. Went back on Ven but now 75mg immediate release for 1 month, then 75mg ER for another, then 150 mg ER after feeling like 75 wasnt enough. Was only on 150 for 2 weeks after realizing I gained 15 lbs!! WTF?? I didn't eat a lot because it did suppress my app. But I was constipated all of the time. Just wanted to lay in bed most of time. Moved on to Bupropion, but thanks venlafaxine for being there I guess? You're like the brother who kept me company but never cleaned up after yourself."

Insomniacpenguin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "MY EXPERIENCE with Effexor XR vs Prozac 1) EXR eliminates ALL PANIC ATTACKS 2) Prozac eliminates ALL OBSESSIVE THINKING 3) Prozac made me sleep like a fat cat even tho I RARELY ate, and I gained a ton of weight when I was only 106 lbs to start. 4) EXR did not cause me weight gain (or loss) however it made me very irritable and I caught myself clenching my jaw all day, however had a lot more energy than Prozac. 5) BOTH meds I used over 12 weeks to make a fair comparison. 6) I saw a bio-identical hormones therapist to see what's going on. No clear cut answers. So here is my thought. You're a normal person being a normal life with a normal energy level. You take Prozac and Wham! You're sleeping 10 hours a day............................."

SouthernSummer August 15, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was prescribed venlafaxine ~3 months ago for depression co-morbid with anxiety (mostly social in nature). During the first week side-effects included feeling "strange"/"spaced out" and jaw clenching. I still have mild anxiety "jitteryness", some foul smelling flatulance(!) and limb twitching/achiness. I don't really know if it has worked for depression so give it a modest rating. I do feel slightly better but I don't know if I can credit the drugs because I made some significant lifestyle changes. As for anxiety, I do feel less hesitant in conversations and less obsessive over saying something "awkward". I think this is because of the drugs, but unfortunately these social improvements haven't really translated into improved confidence"

Stevo Hein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: "I was on 37.5 mg for a week and had planned to up the dose to 75mg. I could tell it was helping with my postpartum anxiety and depression, but the side effects were terrible for me. Extreme fatigue and vomiting. Not good with two small children. We switched to another medication."

Anonymous229 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

For Depression: "I had very little side effects, yawned a lot and dry mouth but the difference in my mind and wellbeing was significant. I am so much better, I have hope, enthusiasm, my concentration is back, I am sleeping all night now, rarely wake up and if I do I can get back to sleep. I really appreciate what this drug has given me back."

Yah August 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "This was the worst experience of my life. I have really bad anxiety and my doctor perscribed one 37.5 mg a day. I took it for the first time and got extremely nauseas. I noticed my hands were shaking and I was clenching my jaw and neck uncontrallably. I found myself to have no appetite and with my stomach troubles this is an issue. Later in the day I tried to eat, and couldn't hold any food down. I did feel calm, so it helped with my anxiety, but all the side effects just arnt worth it. This med is poison for me."

Kaikai185 August 9, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "The absolute worst drug I have ever been on. Caused physical illness and a state of mania for a week straight - a week from hell."

Diaaaaaaaaaaaa August 9, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Switched from Citalopram to 75 Mg and then onto 225 Mg Venlaxafine Worked great to be honest. Got me out and more social That was until I started getting hives and horrid allergic reactions. Swelling eyes / mouth and breathing problems. I denied it to myself initially that it was the pills because I thought they where working so great and I didn't want to give them up. Had to face reality though eventually. Pushed my luck and I got stung. Awoke one morning unable to breath + swelling badly. I ended up having 2 go hospital....so I had to give them up. Didn't think withdrawal would be tough to be honest. I thought that I done this many a time on other AD'S and done fine. Oh boy was I wrong. The vertigo and brain zaps r by far the worst!"

mytwopenceworth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "If I could give this drug a minus ... I would. The reasons are simple: - It has mild effects when it comes down to relieving anxiety - It has profound effects on my sexual function - It is extremely effective at giving me hell when trying to get off it - It could be used as an effective drug used to induce vomiting This drug is truly deplorable in every sense and should not be fit for consumption by human beings."

olowe07 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I can't use the explicit language to describe my time with this, IMO, rat poison..Started at 37.5 ,then 75,eventually 225.Naturally, Dr's always say-"You've got to give it time to work!"..SURE DOC!..Want you to all know I'm no rookie at this, having battled depression for 23 years, and taken over 30 different meds, and certainly, THIS DRUG WAS BY FAR, THE WORSTTTTT..I refuse to believe that this drug was allowed to be given to humans.Getting on it, I became practically more dead, spending 20 hours a day in bed,, suicidal ideations one after another, crying, not eating, hopeless even more and every other negative symptom you can name associated with depression.Getting off is YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE-FOR ME?.3 ENTIRE MONTHS!=BEWARE!!"

hugoboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Please everyone make sure you are emailing Pfizer. They need to be making increments of 5mg so that people can wean themselves off easier. They are aware of the withdrawal from Effexor yet have not made smaller increments so people have to figure out ways to do it themselves. I was on 150mg for 4 years. I attempted to go off by decreasing by 37.5mg every 2 weeks. I was suicidal, exhausted, dizzy, and felt like my brain was being electrocuted. Within 2 days of taking my previous dose the symptoms went away. My next attempt to get off was much slower. I decreased by 5mg every month. I had to take my pills out of the capsule, shave a little off the pill and put it back in the capsule. To get any kind of accuracy you have to buy a scale."

Anonymous August 5, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "In 1997 I was involved in a MV wreck which cost me 6 years of no memory of my life, not able to return to my Director's position with a major railroad company. I have been on Effexor XR 225mg (now Venlafaxine XR 225mg) since then. This has been the worst journey of my life. I am now 71 years of age and will be on it for the rest of my life. I suffered severe head trauma in 1997, two breakdowns and memory loss. If I don't take this medicine I am in a great deal of head pain, vertigo and many other symptoms. I decided not to try to get off of it anymore."

LucieLu August 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had ate alventa 75mg for 4 months and yet had anxiety and elevated heart rate. But,my sleep is good"

Ahmad agha August 4, 2016

For Depression: "Horrible drug. Used this for 3 weeks and had to stop. Felt highly medicated even though on the lowest dose, I believe 37mg? Didn't want to eat for the first few days then for 2 weeks could not stop. Has increased my irritability and have low moods and anxiety combined with a sensation of carelessness. Very tearful. Dr has recommend I stop taking this immediately."

Anonymous32344 August 3, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "More than Depression I take Effexor for Anxiety and it works well. The only problem occurs when I forget to take it. Within in hours I experience withdrawal symptoms such as light headiness and an occasional brief buzzing in my head."

Grodon August 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I took this pill one day and that was all I needed to, I took it at 5:30 pm and was fine, until I wanted to sleep. I tossed and turned all night, my heart racing, I was literally so tired but my mind just would not shut down. Those things they call brain zaps are terrifying, DO NOT TAKE THIS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Hi,I am now 1 week on this drug and I feel good .I take 300 mg Effexor XR with 300 mg Lyrica and 5 mg Abilify .In the past i was on Lustral(Sertraline) and lustral was good too but i think that Effexor is the best."

Estephan July 29, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This was the worst of all the antidepressants I've been on. One day without taking it and I would immediately start to withdrawal. I quit this cold turkey disregarding my doctor's request because I just wanted it out of my system. I basically went manic for about a week but I felt so much better when it was cleared from my system. Hated this drug. 0 stars if I could. My new doctor even refuses to prescribe this."

Anonymous Reviewer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016