User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Somatoform Pain Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.8 1,726 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I had the worst depression and anxiety. I was taking Zoloft and it quit working. I am now taking Effexor and my anxiety completely went away! I was having to take Xanax throughout the day for my anxiety before I took Effexor. I now no longer have to take Xanax, I had NO side effects from Effexor and my depression is completely gone and my anxiety. The only thing it did not help is that I have no energy. I feel tired and fatigued and have no motivation to do anything. I also have had no problem sleeping at night."

Unknown (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This medication has saved my life. I’ve been on it for a few years and I think maybe it might have a slight effect on my immediate short-term memory, but that also just might be me normally lol. I could not function without Effexor medication, not only has it saved my life, it has given me a life. I am 26 and in the past few years I’ve become more social, and tolerable to be around. I am so thankful I stuck with it. If I miss a dose , I get a WICKED headache and the depression and panic ensue so intensely but I rarely miss a dose. If you cut yourself off of it, you WILL withdrawal, and it is painful. Only downfalls. I am so happy to feel normal!"

soulpunkster (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "This medication has changed my life. For those who have given negative reviews, maybe you were part group that it just doesn't work for. I was in a place that was really dark, not wanting to go on but for me Venlafaxine pulls me right out of the negative darkness. It’s amazing, but you have to absolutely give it at least 8 weeks. Don’t quit the first month and give up. You have to understand it is changing the brain chemicals in a positive way. Let it work it’s course and you will be a new person. At 150 mg. I never plan on going off this medicine so I don’t have to worry about withdrawals. This is not a short term medicine for me it is for the long term. I highly recommend this med, for people with severe anxiety or panic. Not occasional nervousness. Those who have it know what I mean!"

Alphadog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "A few years back after experiencing major life changes and loss I started having anxiety. This escalated and became all consuming, I wouldn’t eat for days at a time, couldn’t sleep and thought this would be how I’d feel forever. I tried a lot of different medication and found Venlafaxine 300mg and pregabalin 75mg twice a day to calm me enough that I had counselling and saw a hypnotherapist. I can honestly say in the last year I’ve had zero anxiety. I no longer take pregabalin and I’m down to 150mg venlafaxine. It takes time and going into this drug or up in dose can be rough but stick with it! Take along side some form of therapy."

MeV (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2019

For Depression: "I was on Zoloft for a few months and I thought it was working. Went to see a nurse practitioner in psychiatry and she said to try the Effexor XR. The nurse weaned me off the Zoloft and I started taking the Effexor XR and I had some energy the first day and then the energy seems to have gone away. I also have had episodes of nausea that lead to vomiting and I don’t have an appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat. I feel like a zombie all day. My sleep at night has improved. I have only been on this for about two weeks."

stormy67 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "Started taking 37.5mg Effexor (same time every morning) one week ago for severe day and night hot flashes. Had minimal nausea and dizziness for the first two days, and now nothing. My daytime hot flashes are completely gone with the venlafaxine (they were every couple of hours all day long) and my night sweats/flashes are almost completely gone as well. I have had the last two nights without a single flash and have slept great! I tried everything possible over the counter and "natural" but the Effexor is the only thing that has truly worked and worked fast for those hot flashes"

Lynne (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Completely lost myself, I complained that it made me not feel right, my wife told me I needed to give it long enough to work, she was sure it was just body getting used to it. I was completely shut down was numb, no emotion, didn’t care about anything but myself and was completely in my own head, left my family. Had zero emotion none at all. Alienated myself from family. I have always had an addictive personality but I started drinking again and smoking (pot and cigarettes). Had horrible insomnia, compulsive lies about even simple things. Blew through money. Tons of anxiety, my blood pressure went through the roof, cholesterol climbed like crazy, headaches nausea and restlessness, Restless legs were horrible. Vivid dreams. Bouts of anger and rage. Brain snaps and blurry vision. Worst med of my life. I was spiralling out of control. Withdrawal was horrendous but so worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "My son was on this medication and ultimately committed suicide he was on the extended release ."

JJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "IT TOOK THE THE DRUG COMPANY 11 YEARS TO GET THIS APPROVED. This drug should not be allowed on the market. I have been on SSRI's for 15 years and was switched to this pill which is the worst. I was constantly dizzy on this, also anxious and brain zapped. If you take this medication an hour late you are sick. It has a very short shelf half-life. Going off of it if you can is like one bad trip I had breathing issues, my whole body ached so painful, vertigo, so dizzy, vomiting and I tapered off. Slowly....it will take you 6 months to a year to taper off and get ready for the issues you will continue you to have. Don't take it. When I read the reviews I thought it would be different for me because of the lies from my doctor. These reviews aren't lying or they haven't tried going off. The XR is the only one that is approved???? the other Effexor is banned now. Please go on something else. NOT A SNRI it will bring you to knees to pray your never took it."

indigogirl March 29, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Only took 37.5 mg effexor for 6 days, zero appetite, constant bloated sick stomach, lost 7 lbs and feel like a zombie, I’m completely emotionally numb/dead. I’ve been shaky, dizzy, thick headed and very fatigued. I admit I’m not depressed and crying but I feel soo sick that I can’t handle it. Sips of water make me feel nauseous. I need to know if I can just stop cold turkey since it was only 37.5 mg for 6 days? What do I do? Doctor thinks quitting cold turkey is ok but soo many horror stories online, I’m scared."

Snooper (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Effexor is a miracle drug. Never had ritualistic OCD, but as far as intrusive and obsessive thoughts go, I was in a bad spot before I was prescribed. I take 187.5mg daily, and will forever. It takes about 10-12 weeks to get it completely into your system. But worth it. Side effects for me include an occasional headache, cured with ibuprofen. Effexor is a game changer."

BT (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I am on day 5 of venlafaxine 37.5mg & the side effects seem to be subsiding thank goodness because I wasn't sure I could keep taking it, they were that bad. I am 40 years old & I have been going through early menopause for almost 4 years. I haven't slept through the night in about 3 years. The hot flashes & night sweats are the worst. So far I have not gotten any relief from this medication. It honestly makes me a little jealous that people on here have gotten relief after their 1st dose. I am going to stick with it for awhile but I do not want to up my dose because the side effects are so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor saved my sanity. I have been taking it for about 15years. I cannot take the generic brand . I take 37.5 once daily before bed. No side effects. Do not take the generic brand!"

Poutybear March 25, 2019

For Depression: "I felt okay on this drug the first 2 weeks, then the lovely side effects began, nervousness, headaches, tears, anxious, not sleepingl, oss of appetite etc. As the time went on I felt okay again but after 5 weeks the side effects should go away right?? Then I got a bad chest cold. Why would a drug give you so much drama??? If you go off it then you are worse? Lots of good options . The last drug I was on was sertaline I felt suicidal and I felt worse as the days went on. Why tell me, why do drug companies make a drug that makes a person so sick?????"

Joanie March 24, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I was started on 37.5 then moved up to 75mg then 150mg I always had brain zaps when it was just about time to take my next dose, I also got hives when I started this drug which I thought was bug bites. I got really red-faced and flushed and got dizzy and nauseous on a continued basis. This drug may work for others but not for me. I anxiety all the time. Now I am going off of it. I was on it for 1.5 years. It has been living hell. Very bad brain zaps, non stop crying, dizziness. very unfocused. I have had to take off three months from work because of this drug. I am feeling so sick right now. Best of Luck to those who take this. They have banned the non Extended Release in Canada so they need to take this off the market here too. It also made my heart rate go to 190bpm and had to go to the ER and given two IV treatments to slow it down. Don't take this with clarithromycin or Biaxin it can cause heart issues."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hi all. I’m a 32 y/o female with GAD diagnosed 2 yr ago & ADHD. My doc felt it was more important to treat my severe GAD before ADHD. After trying Zoloft for 6 months, I stopped it. NO libido. Lexapro, same thing!! Plus I was super tired. First two days on Effexor XR Were amazing. (placebo effect?) Then days 3-10 were filled with a little more anxiety than normal. Had vivid weird dreams, would wake up once in the middle of the night to pee then it would be harder than normal to fall asleep. Also jaw popping like I was grinding the heck out of my teeth for a few nights. Day 11-now, it's wonderful. I don't feel panic attacks or anxiety any more. I feel normal and relaxed. No more headaches, muscle tension or sleeping problems. I'm not short tempered with my kids. I don't WORRY as much! I'm just chill. Oh, and I can still pour some tears watching my chick flicks. With the sex side effect "O".... I can still do it, just takes a tad longer. I can live with that!! I can also drink beer with this."

GAD-Girlie March 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "This is the worst drug I have ever been on (and I say this as someone who has been on just about every SSRI/SNRI on the market). Two months into being on the drug and I am on sick leave with overwhelming anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. Now I am tapering off the drug and am experiencing brain zaps, paranoia and extreme agitation. This is not who I am and I don't like what Venlafaxine has made me become. Don't put yourself through this if at all possible."

SayNoToEffexor (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

For Depression: "This drug temporarily changed me as a person, and I do not recommend it, especially when treating depression and an eating disorder. I started Effexor XR and immediately noticed that I had a major difficulty controlling my impulses. I drank too much, stole, cheated, lied. Then, my psychiatrist upped the medication from 150 mg to 225 because she believed it was the worsening of my mental illness. After 6 mos, weened off of Effexor. although it was difficult, it felt as though a film had been wiped off my eyes After stopping the medication. I started to care about myself as a human being, slept more, began to eat normally, drank less, care about loved ones, and not see my life through this cloud in which Effexor had put me. I know medication is different for every person, but if you are having any of these effects, PLEASE WEEN OFF. It made me into a different person who lacked self respect and basic morality."

Pat March 20, 2019

For Depression: "After trying other meds, this has been the worst medication I've taken. I started February 22nd taking 37.5mg. After 7-10 days I experienced heart palpitations intermittently (which is a usual adjustment each time I started a new medication). As the days progressed the heart palpitations happened all day most of the day. I feel like my heart is bouncing in my chest. Also I'm experiencing indigestion. After seeing several docs for other medical things, each asked why my heart rate was so fast. I attributed it to the Venlafaxine. It has become very bothersome and scary. I'm wearing a 24-hour monitor to make sure I have no other heart condition (I'm age 66). I'm stopping my medication because of the daily, all day heart palpitations. I wake up from my sleep feeling the sensation."

chicagopd (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I was given venlafaxine for my hot flushes it worked great, I was wondering how long it would take and it worked in 48hrs. No chest puddles. No moving to another bed!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Stopped after first capsule. I had Nausea, headache, dizzy, disoriented, rise in blood pressure to 170/93, blurred vision, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, tightness in chest, caused onset of IBS. I couldn’t get out of bed for 36 hours."

jim7005 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My experience was really up and down, but now that I am completely off of it for 4 weeks now after being on it for 5 years, I don't know how I coped while on it. I feel amazing off that junk. It's very hard to get off of it but my doctor put me on 10 mg of Prozac and decreased the dose of the Effexor. No problems at all. The Prozac is such a low dose I just quit taking that and no problems. I am happy and feel really good. I'm beginning to question if I even ever had anxiety... Or maybe somehow I was cured ..."

Fitmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for : "Have been on Effexor for a year now for my anxiety, and would say it has worked for me. I am on 225 mg and still get some anxiety but can control it. I would recommend it but only if SSRIs don’t work. Have taken lexapro in the past but would make me feel wired and I did clench my teeth at night. Effexor was had to start on until I got the right dose."

Sam (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 15, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Please do not take this drug. I’ve had depression and anxiety for years. I’ve gone to many doctors and therapists and nothing has worked. About a year ago I was prescribed the generic venlafaxine. I exhausted all non drug options first and finally caved in. I decided to give up this drug recently and go back to trying more natural remedies. Going off has been a nightmare and I was only on a 75mg dose. I tried to taper off like everyone says but that wasn’t working. I’m on day 6 of diarrhea and stomach pains. The first day I couldn’t move I had such a headache and my whole body hurt. No drug should do this to a person. I read reviews just like mine and thought my doctor knew best. They don’t. You know what’s best. Don’t ignore your instincts. This drug does more harm than good and should not be on the market. Shame on the FDA for allowing the continued sale of this drug."

Kls87 March 14, 2019

For Anxiety: "I'm sharing my experience on venlafaxine because I felt it warranted a positive review. I've been taking lexapro for six years for premenopausal anxiety. It worked great until recently, my anxiety returned. My doc prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg, read reviews on this drug and was petrified of starting it but I did and I'm glad I did. Only side effects tingling in legs with slight headache on first day, nothing else since. Huge improvement in anxiety and mood. It's been a life saver"

Molly (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019