User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Autism

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Autism. 67% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Hetty · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2021

“I have autism and PTSD this works well for me on 375mg venlafaxine as well as 3.5mg risperidone twice daily and 30mg mirtazapine at night I have tried other medication like fluoxetine and sertraline but they have not worked”

High functioning autistic · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 24, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I'm 22 with autism and I take 20mg of effexor xr and I've been taking it for 2 years! And this medication has helped me a lot, it makes me socialize with people more! And be more at ease in a social situation! And I've had no bad side effects at all! I highly recommend this medicine”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine): “I have took this about 3 weeks ago started on 75mg felt nausea bad the first day than the second was easy headache a little nausea panic but as a week went on symptoms went away and I felt a lot better. The reasons why I don't put up a full 10 cause if you take it late, after the 24 hour period since your last dose, you start to experience withdraw. It is different for everyone But I was fine, I'm autistic, suffer from acute anxiety, PTSD, panic depression bad, it saves my life so far am scared of horror stories but as an autistic adult I look at it as an opportunity”

Jujusulcata · Taken for 10 years or more September 11, 2012

Effexor (venlafaxine): “My son was given this medicine by a developmental pediatrician when he was 8 yrs old. He became more vocal. More at ease around people. He is now 22 yrs old and is still on this medicine, he has Aspergers.”

Anonymous December 1, 2010

Effexor (venlafaxine): “This is a great medicine for those it helps. It really changed my life around. It has helped me so much to be more comfortable with having Asperger Syndrome and to deal with all the associated issues (OCD, depression, etc). It's literally saved my life. I do recommend trying this medicine as if it works for you, it's worth trying.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2015

“I have Asperger Syndrome, also Major Depression, Dysthymia and General Anxiety. Venlafaxine did nothing to help any of symptoms and had the side effects of completely removing my sense of hunger, nausea and eventually night sweats and nightmares. I think this drug will only help autistic symptoms they're also symptoms of co-morbid depression and/or anxiety. I imagine the social symptoms are made worse by depression/anxiety and in that case you may find it will help you. It's a strong antidepressant, but comes with strong side effects.”

Learn more about Autism