User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for 9 weeks now and I have to say it is working like a charm!! I have not experienced any side effects other than a dry month and am a little slower to achieve an orgasm (the desire is still there however). I am soooo glad I decided to take Effexor!! I had been dealing with horrible anxiety for about a year and would constantly think about it throughout the day. I was effecting simple tasks and crippling me. I feel like my old self again! Not over thinking every damn thing! I had an allergic reaction to Zoloft so I was very afraid to start a new med. So glad I did!"

Sheri D December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor had me try several different meds for my panic disorder and depression and nothing worked except lexapro but I hated being on it because it ruined my sex life, gave me IBS, made me fat, and made me feel zombie like and the worst part is that the positive effects of the medicine would wear off within a few months and just leave me with all the bad side effects. I was finally about to give up on all medicine and just crawl under a rock for good when she said that there was a new version of Effexor that was extended release and getting good feedback. On just 75 mg a day, my life and turned around 360 degrees. No more bad anxiety and when I get an attack it’s much more manageable. My orgasms have returned, losing weight, feel amazing!"

AJ Loftis November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zapped my sex life. Stopped erections and ejaculation. Stopped any sensation from sex. Tried ED pills to counteract but didn't work. Am going to my doctor to get off these pills. Been taking for about 4 months. Should have never started these garbage pills."

Bruno Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Venlafaxine didn't work well for me, although I was no longer anxious, I did feel like I was a zombie. My message to anyone trawling the internet for answers & hope. YOU WILL GET BETTER! It may take time and trial/ error with your treatments, but every human being is different so if one treatment worked for someone and not you, then there are a whole host of other treatments & combinations. Talk to people whether family, friends, support groups, online forums. Go to your doctor or consultant and take all the help you can. If you are not happy with your treatment, ask for a different healthcare professional. As I write, I am in recovery on Sertraline. I have agorophobia, but am starting to get back to a somewhat normal life."

Recovery! October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr started me on 150mg venlafaxine and my side effect was I almost had a stroke like feeling."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Every day I take this drug, I feel better and better. So calm, my ADD is in check and I sleep through the night. I have been on zoloft, celexa, vyvance and wellbutrin. Nothing other than benzos have taken away my generalized anxiety and made me feel calm and happy No menopause symptoms either. The only thing that scares me now is I hear how hard it is to come off of. At this point I don't want to come off of it. But I have come off zoloft, vyvance and wellbutrin. Why would it be so much harder to come off than those medications. I don't suffer from depression just debilitating anxiety and it has literally improved my quality of life 100percent. All's I hear are horror stories and I don't get it. Love to hear from other good experiences"

Miss Clairol (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on 75mg venlafaxine but I'm going up another 37.5mg I'm scared is this ok to do as my psych said that 75mg is too low."

Debz1967 August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor around 3 years ago, 150 mg, because I was having a terrible time with anxiety and it was starting to physically manifest itself at the worst possible times. Initially it worked quite well and I was more or less getting back to my normal self. I felt so good, in fact, I thought I no longer needed the Effexor and started the slow taper and eventually stopped taking it. My anxiety quickly returned along with terrible dizziness and an overwhelming fear of being around other people. I also suffered several seizures, which we are still not sure are linked to coming off the Effexor, but my doctors are suspicious. Nonetheless, my life has been HELL since stopping. Trying Lexapro now to hopefully get some of "ME' back."

love2run26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for quite a few years now taking 112.5mg. I didn't have any problems with this med but have been wanting to simplify my regime. So 112.5 to 75mg saw no real withdrawal or return of depression or anxiety. But, 75mg to 37.5mg, I cannot bear. I feel awful, irritable, nasty, and even aggressive at times. Imagine waking up every morning for 2 weeks being 50 Shades of Pissed! My personality changed if feels like. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. It would appear that Effexor is effective for my anxiety."

Megan Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am amazed by this drug. I suffer from extreme general anxiety, insomnia as well as adult ADD. I have been on celexa, worked for about 6 months. Zoloft, not bad stablizes emotions but doesn't get rid of anxiety. Wellutrin, made me so depressed. I was actually given this drug as off market for hot flashes while still on zoloft. Well I went off the zoloft immediately because this drug worked so well. First time ever (other than taking benzos) I had no butterflies in my stomach, fear over nothing and slept better. I can't believe the difference in finding the right drug. I don't really suffer from depression, I only get depressed because of my anxiety and chronic insomnia. This has been a miracle drug for me."

Miss Clairol July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed this medication when Celexa wasn't working. My doctor put me on 75mg to start and that night I took my first dose at 9:30pm and by 11pm I was a total wreck. I became super nauseous and began throwing up quite a bit. My my body was restless and my arms and neck were numb and tingly. I managed to get a bit of sleep but the next morning was a write off - I felt completely disabled and lethargic. I was so weak, I could hardly hold my cell phone. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy and the brain zaps were fierce. I immediately visited my doctor and he prescribed me something else. 75mg to start was way tooooo strong for me. I can't believe the side effects I've suffered after 1 dose. My advice would to please try another option."

Skye080893 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm getting anxiety and have panic attacks that are horrible since I took these pills! I had anxiety before but never got the attacks that I'm getting today! I have bad thoughts and sleep all the time and don't feel like doing anything. Just worry and cry."

Dadaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on antidepressants drugs for 30 years for my anxiety and depression. The last 5 on Venafaxine 150 mg .. We all know the side effects sweating, memory loss to name a few .. However this is the best drug I PERSONALLY HAVE EVER USED"

Dice1 June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only took this drug for 4 days because the side effects for me were too much. The first day I was extremely restless. I woke up having a panic attack which has never happened to me before. Though I will say this one may be coincidence. Day two I noticed a drop in my visual acuity. It wasn't too bothersome this day. But on day three it had declined in my right eye to the point where I had difficulty reading. When I closed my right eye everything seemed normal but when I closed my left eye everything was extremely blurry. I've never had vision problems before and this was starting to effect my work. My eyes are very dry as well. Been off for four days and nothing's changed but I expect that to take time."

Blue94 May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 36 year old male with GAD and was prescribed 150mg of Venlafaxine for GAD and depression and was on it for 3 years. It helped with my anxiety really well but made me way too sedated and I was constantly tired. Sex Drive went way down and the kicker is that we found out that it was decreasing my testosterone levels as well as my thyroid. I don't think it effect my levels for the first year or so, not that I noticed. I am an athlete so I could see major effects on the field about 1.5 years in and it felt like I had aged 10 years. Once I stopped the meds all my T levels went back to normal values. Everybody is different and it worked from an anxiety aspect but the side effects were not worth for me."

Cory Norman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016