User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I don't recommend it. My doctor and I were trying to find something to decrease my anxiety and abate any depression. SNRIs, in my opinion, are not helpful for anxiety because norepinephrine is a catecholamine and is released during an anxiety attack. It increased my anxiety to such an extent that I became agoraphobic for the first time in over 10 years and the feeling of doom followed me wherever I went. I decided to decrease my dosage by half since I still had the lower dose from earlier in my treatment and discussed with my doctor about discontinuing it and starting an SSRI (started Zoloft). Since stopping Effexor, the anxiety is decreasing as the med is leaving my body."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

"I have used venlafaxine for over 10 years after suffering with GAD secretly for 4 years before addressing my problem. The anxiety had become so bad I could not eat, go outside or function in general. The 37.5mg daily dose has steadily worked for me. I still get the occasional anxiety flare up but nothing compared to before I was medicated. I attempted to come off the drug once and my GAD returned fully within 5 months of not taking it. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need this drug until I die. If 1 reasonable dose allows me to live normally it is worth it."

Robo (taken for 10 years or more) October 2, 2018

"Please DO NOT try venlafaxine until it's the last drug you try. The withdrawal symptoms are unbearable and long-lasting. Think thrice before trying venlafaxine! All the stories on the internet about the withdrawal are real!"

Francisco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor diagnosed me with Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and prescribed me venlafaxine (specifically Effexor XR). I found it strange, but it kinda "worked". I feel much less anxious and depressed; on the other hand, I felt neither more concentrated nor focused on tasks."

CompleteUnknown (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

"23 years old. Been on this for 1 month. I absolutely love this medication. I haven't felt this happy for 3-4 years. I have a depression/anxiety disorder that slowly got worse and worse until I finally realized that I was in a deep hole that I feel like I could not get out of this bad place by myself. This medication is helping me so much. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending this. I think that exercising, eating right, sleeping well, socializing, keeping alcohol to a limit, and doing healthy stuff altogether might also be playing a part along with this medication for me"

Annie August 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Miracle Drug! I advise everyone to STICK to it through the first week. For me personally, the first week was AWFUL. Honestly terrible. I was nauseous, disorientated, had short term memory loss - I felt high/disconnected to reality the first couple of days. After one week I woke up and was completely fine. I felt like my old normal self (without anxiety/depression). Now I fell very happy, motivated, calm and most importantly STABLE! No more mood swings, irritability; as soon as something dark creeps into my mind, I can dismiss it in a moment. I've been on Venlafaxine XR for two months (150mg now) and I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I gave it a go. Although it was my last resort, it was my best resort. I used to be a professional athlete, been vegan for a while, I would meditate, do yoga and non of that would help AT ALL with my condition. Now, these actions are starting to pay off with the help of this drug. Lots of love to everyone going through hard times, hope my review helps you <3"

lindsieloo August 1, 2018

"Been on venlafaxine HCL 75mg for a week 1/2 now. I've certainly am more calm and less anxious than before but my only concerned and frustration is the inability to orgasm. I'm considering stopping this medication tonight because my sexuality is more important to me. Does anyone out there know how long after one has stopped the medicine does their body return to its normal state?? Thank you!"

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Probably jumping the gun on here, but what the heck. I had to wait over an hour at my hot mess of a pharmacy to fill this...but I think it was worth it. God Bless my insurance- this is not cheap! I lucked out because my psych. initiated a follow up with me today, and could not be in better timing. I had to go see a OB/GYN appt. later that day, and I get flashbacks b/c I was raped at 7 yrs/old. (Add in my other meds + Klonopin), but everything went so smoothly, and I heard this can help anxiety+depression in the longrun. (37.5 mg Effexor XR Added to Wellbutrin 300 XR) Not gonna lie, I do have a headache and stomach felt a bit off, rather low key now..but I also had a bad sleep. But I was able to stay clean from alcohol today when I would normally be hitting the bottle to numb my trauma. Only 1st day, but I see some good prospects in adding this Rx to my current schedule/regimen."

Kool Person (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

"Been on quite a few AD and this one worked quite well in the beginning. Helps with anxiety and depression felt more motivated, socialised more and didn't get much side effects. I was on 75mg. Did gain weight on it and after a few months stopped working! I quit cold turkey and wasn't that bad a bit dizzy and that's about it also didn't get sexual side effects. Don't let the negative reviews put you off it works different for everyone!"

P if g I m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was given Effexor XR in 2013 for generalised anxiety disorder. I was stable on 75mg for about 4 years when I decided to wean off it because of weight gain & the feeling that it wasn’t effective anymore in 2017. I weaned off using a Prozac bridge but relapsed 4 months later after a death in the family. I was restarted on Effexor XR and after 2 weeks started to feel better & had 2 good weeks. Out of the blue I stopped sleeping, started having panic attacks, paranoia & dark thoughts, I have never experienced anything like it. I sought out a psychiatrist & psychologist for help as my GP didn’t know what to do. I’ve been started on a Tricyclical antidepressant & am slowly weaning off the Effexor. My message is that everyone reacts differently to medication, carefully watch your reactions to a new medication & please seek help if you need it. Thankfully I did & my kids still have a Mum."

Mumof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

"I started taking venlafaxine 3 days ago. I feel awful, I can't concentrate, feel weird, pupils huge, heart feels weird. Can't sleep well. Will this ever go away?"

Jessy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

"I was taking this medication for some time for anxiety and panic. It worked really well for my symptoms even on a low dose. However the medication is expensive and I had an extremely difficult time coming off of them. I tried 3x to wean off but extreme withdrawal effects. 4th time I went cold turkey (I know this is not advised!) and side effects lasted about two weeks before subsiding. Also if you don't take the medication on time or skip a dose I started to have the withdrawal effects."

Elle (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Just started Effexor Xr 36.5 mg I am hoping for a good results"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Stay away from Effexor Xr at all costs. It is absolute awful to come off of and it stops working after a while. This drug should be banned!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "On Effexor for 2 years, weaned off to a half dose for a week which was ok, then a quarter dose which again was ok. When I got down to zero, I was very dizzy, which also made me nauseated because I'm prone to motion sickness. Also had diarrhea. Took immodium for the diarrhea, no biggie. IF YOU ARE DIZZY, take OTC Dramamine or Bonine, the motion sickness medicines. They are the same as prescription anti-vertigo meds. You will probably still feel off for a week, but you will be functional. I had a low grade headache the whole time, and "brain zaps". Dramamine seemed to make those less severe also, down to just annoying."

Amy T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Got sick on day 1 and rash just started 50 mg of trazadone don't remember falling asleep. I just called dr to see if I can cut it in half. I feel like I'm in daze. How long does trazadone take to work in weeks or days?"

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I went from Dr. to Dr. for several years, but refused to take anything long term (afraid of getting "hooked"). Finally, after about six years of suffering and down to 129lbs, I went to see a Psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil. It seemed to help a bit, but the anxiety always broke through. Finally, around 2001, my primary care physician put me on Effexor 75mg. I had an initial side-effect, but I just pushed through it. I am glad I did! I went from constant anxiety and barely able to eat, to rarely, if ever, having anxiety and finally able to eat! In the years since (2018 now), The dose has been raised a couple times, and once in a while I will have a setback. However, Effexor (I use the XR generic version) holds my very sensitive fight and flight reaction in check. I strongly recommend this medication. It may not work for everyone, but it made my life liveable again!"

DWC April 21, 2018

"I'm 79 years old. For years I've been shy and not very outgoing. Also, I've had anger issues and have suffered low level depression. For years I've been taking various doses of Zoloft and Welbutrin and a combination of the two. They've kept me less depressed and quieter. Finally I weaned myself off them. But depression and anger started acting up again. So my doctor this time recommended Venlafaxine. He's taken me through three dose levels and I'm now at 150mg. The results are, at least to me, rather amazing. I'm socializing more - and - I'm wanting to socialize more. Furthermore, people appear to want to socialize with me more. Also, the anger outbursts appear to be far less frequent, and far less obtrusive when they do materialize (meaning, for instance, I'm not so abusive to those rude drivers who tend to thoroughly tick me off). And - like others before me - I've removed one star because of the reduced libido."

Ken (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018

"I'm a late 40s male suffered all my life with alcohol abuse, anxiety ,anxiousness, panic attacks, social phobia etc. I've tried everything but medical marijuana ,which I would but would harm my lungs. I have to tell you my dr put me on venlafaxine ,37.5 mg now I know what life is meant to be lived like. I've had breakdowns and had to go into pschyc wards and things in my life at the time which have been a train wreck to say the least. I had tried everything was Paxil, clonazepam ,etc. I can't believe taking things easy as life was meant to be lived like this. Thanks be to God for giving men the knowledge and know how over time to keep creating new drugs"

Frog (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

"I went from not wanting to leave my house to taking part in a charity boxing event. I only gave it 9/10 because of the loss of libido."

JR UK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

"I’ve been on Effexor 75 mg for a little over a month. I was cross tapered from 100 mg of Sertraline with 37.5 mg of Effexor. I feel like I’m responding well to this but I’m feeling nauseous more often than I ever have and I even threw up at work and at the gym on separate occasions. I get stomach pains and feelings of being sick along with the nausea. I’m not pregnant either. Does anyone else have a similar issue?"

Kc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

"I don't get this. I suffer from sever GAD and insomnia. I only get depressed sometimes due to lack of sleep and anxiety over everything. I heard rave reviews for panic disorder. I have only been on a couple of month but the drug totally amps me up. I don't understand how it works for anxiety. I get the same feeling as on Wellbutrin. Am I missing something. I have to take it first thing in the morning for even a small chance of sleeping at night. I didn't think SNRI's were noted for helping anxiety, more for depression. Should it not be working by 8 weeks? Does anyone else find it amps them up? or do you find it really reduces your anxiety? Any help or experiences would be great appreciated. I feel like I am the only one it does this to."

Katie60 February 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started this drug in Jan 2018. I started on 37.5 and went up to 75mg after 3 weeks. I have a history of severe anxiety with panic. I can tell you this drug is the only thing I have taken that completely erases negative thoughts and any and all thoughts of panic. I was never really depressed, but I can tell it has lifted my mood as well. I have tried every SSRI under the sun and Effexor is the only thing that worked for the anxiety AND panic. I encourage you to at least try it, if I made decisions based on the reviews I have read from this drug I would have never tried it. We are all different and react differently to each drug. I viewed the med as a nothing to loose situation so I gave it a shot and it worked for me."

Sha2213 February 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My GP put me (female, 19) on Effexor for anxiety, it was the first time I'd taken medication for mental health. I'm going to be honest it was fine while taking it, but looking back I was in an apathetic fog for the year I was on it and totally disregarded my relationships. Coming off of it on the other hand was an absolute nightmare, even under the supervision of a doctor and weaning off slowly, I've never been more miserable! Could not sleep because of paranoia and the mood swings had me ripping books and sobbing over spilt milk or dropping something on the floor. For long term use it would probably be great, but if you're new to antidepressants or just testing it out, be so so careful!"

Taylee2 February 14, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I wanted to share my experience as I’ve read so many awful reviews about this drug. Granted this isn’t the right one for me, I did not experience the horrible side effects described by some people. My psychiatrist started me out on 75 mg, after while worked up to 150mg, and finally today I’m on 225mg (over the course of about 10-12 weeks). The only side effects I’ve had are occasional headaches and some constipation. I go back to my psych in a few days and I think we will agree to move me on to another Rx. The 150mg dose made me so exhausted, I hated it. I felt awful. When I started the 225mg, I at least felt like a person again and had energy to do basic things like shower and clean my house. It didn’t resolve my anxiety but for those of you who may be afraid to try it, please don’t be afraid of the negative reviews/side effects. I wish so bad this worked for me but it didn’t."

Jes1004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018