User Reviews for Venlafaxine systemic

Also known as: Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I see so many reviews here from people that gave up this medication after one day, five days, seven days. Guys, this medicine can take up to a MONTH to work. In the meantime, you might experience side effects like increased anxiety. Stick with it. It works for me - It might not for you, but please try it out properly (ie. for at least a month) before you knock it."

Gaute (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2019

"I was on Venlafaxine 300mg for about 4 years. I also took Pregabalin and Sulpiride (anti-psychotic) at the same time. When I started on the meds I was in a very bad place and I needed a chemical 'fix' to get me back on my feet. I believe that Venlafaxine was a crucial part of treatment to give me room to work on other strategies with a therapist. I won't pretend that there were not nasty side effects because there were. This is not a medication for people with minor complaints, it is for people with serious mental health issues. I have recently come off the medication completely but I would not hesitate to take it again if I need to. As it is I am still seeing a therapist and I use benzos infrequently when I get a wobble. I attempted suicide 4 years ago, now, in part because of Venlafaxine I am learning to be a much happier and healthier person. As for withdrawal effects, mine were not too bad at all."

Bogmonster December 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was diagnosed with GAD, MDD, Panic Disorder and Social Anxiety. Before being diagnosed, I was very nervous about taking any antidepressants. However, Effexor was amazing for me, overall. Almost all anxiety and depression vanished. The only negative for me (and it’s a big one) was that I lost my libido, it was very hard to maintain an erection and orgasms became next to impossible. Trying a different medication now."

Ry390 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on generic for Prestiq 50mg for post menopause hot flashes, anxiety and depression. Lost my Insurance so changed to Effexor XR 75. No side affects and actually works better than Prestiq. I'm glad because its a lot cheaper."

CjGeorgia (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medicine made me wanna live again! The first days are tough, but then comes heaven after some days!"

DisturbedBoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was given this drug when I was 24 years old to help combat my generalized anxiety. This is the worst drug. The first five nights I took it I would wake up each night at about 3 or 4 a.m. The first night I sat up and put my feet over the side of the bed and everything around me was dancing or moving in some way shape or form. I thought this must be what some kind of bad Acid Trip feels like. Then suddenly a wash of nausea came over me and I ran to the bathroom and collapse to my knees. As much as I felt like I wanted to puke I could not. I proceeded to get up and splash some water on my face from the sink and turned the lights on. When looking at my face in the mirror I could see my eyes were dilating and undulating.The next morning I felt like someone had injected the most amount of caffeine available straight into my veins. Finally when this effect wore off I crashed and fell asleep for 4 hours. Like I said these were regular occurrences for about the first 5 days."

M3gzz October 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Prior to taking Effexor, I was had daily panic attacks, suffered from agoraphobia, and would cry for hours at night without any reason (I was a mess). 35mg Effexor put me completely back to normal-- no more anxiety, but plenty of happiness and typical emotions. I would go as far as saying it cured me. However, the side effects are brutal. First 2 months were daily dry mouth, dizziness, "brain zaps", and constipation so bad it put me in the hospital. If I miss a day, the dizziness hits hard until I take the next pill. Overall, I think it is still worth the trouble because I'm mentally healthier than ever before."

Bio_Chick (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2018

"I don't recommend it. My doctor and I were trying to find something to decrease my anxiety and abate any depression. SNRIs, in my opinion, are not helpful for anxiety because norepinephrine is a catecholamine and is released during an anxiety attack. It increased my anxiety to such an extent that I became agoraphobic for the first time in over 10 years and the feeling of doom followed me wherever I went. I decided to decrease my dosage by half since I still had the lower dose from earlier in my treatment and discussed with my doctor about discontinuing it and starting an SSRI (started Zoloft). Since stopping Effexor, the anxiety is decreasing as the med is leaving my body."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

"I have used venlafaxine for over 10 years after suffering with GAD secretly for 4 years before addressing my problem. The anxiety had become so bad I could not eat, go outside or function in general. The 37.5mg daily dose has steadily worked for me. I still get the occasional anxiety flare up but nothing compared to before I was medicated. I attempted to come off the drug once and my GAD returned fully within 5 months of not taking it. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need this drug until I die. If 1 reasonable dose allows me to live normally it is worth it."

Robo (taken for 10 years or more) October 2, 2018

"Please DO NOT try venlafaxine until it's the last drug you try. The withdrawal symptoms are unbearable and long-lasting. Think thrice before trying venlafaxine! All the stories on the internet about the withdrawal are real!"

Francisco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor diagnosed me with Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and prescribed me venlafaxine (specifically Effexor XR). I found it strange, but it kinda "worked". I feel much less anxious and depressed; on the other hand, I felt neither more concentrated nor focused on tasks."

CompleteUnknown (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

"23 years old. Been on this for 1 month. I absolutely love this medication. I haven't felt this happy for 3-4 years. I have a depression/anxiety disorder that slowly got worse and worse until I finally realized that I was in a deep hole that I feel like I could not get out of this bad place by myself. This medication is helping me so much. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending this. I think that exercising, eating right, sleeping well, socializing, keeping alcohol to a limit, and doing healthy stuff altogether might also be playing a part along with this medication for me"

Annie August 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Miracle Drug! I advise everyone to STICK to it through the first week. For me personally, the first week was AWFUL. Honestly terrible. I was nauseous, disorientated, had short term memory loss - I felt high/disconnected to reality the first couple of days. After one week I woke up and was completely fine. I felt like my old normal self (without anxiety/depression). Now I fell very happy, motivated, calm and most importantly STABLE! No more mood swings, irritability; as soon as something dark creeps into my mind, I can dismiss it in a moment. I've been on Venlafaxine XR for two months (150mg now) and I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I gave it a go. Although it was my last resort, it was my best resort. I used to be a professional athlete, been vegan for a while, I would meditate, do yoga and non of that would help AT ALL with my condition. Now, these actions are starting to pay off with the help of this drug. Lots of love to everyone going through hard times, hope my review helps you <3"

lindsieloo August 1, 2018

"Been on venlafaxine HCL 75mg for a week 1/2 now. I've certainly am more calm and less anxious than before but my only concerned and frustration is the inability to orgasm. I'm considering stopping this medication tonight because my sexuality is more important to me. Does anyone out there know how long after one has stopped the medicine does their body return to its normal state?? Thank you!"

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Probably jumping the gun on here, but what the heck. I had to wait over an hour at my hot mess of a pharmacy to fill this...but I think it was worth it. God Bless my insurance- this is not cheap! I lucked out because my psych. initiated a follow up with me today, and could not be in better timing. I had to go see a OB/GYN appt. later that day, and I get flashbacks b/c I was raped at 7 yrs/old. (Add in my other meds + Klonopin), but everything went so smoothly, and I heard this can help anxiety+depression in the longrun. (37.5 mg Effexor XR Added to Wellbutrin 300 XR) Not gonna lie, I do have a headache and stomach felt a bit off, rather low key now..but I also had a bad sleep. But I was able to stay clean from alcohol today when I would normally be hitting the bottle to numb my trauma. Only 1st day, but I see some good prospects in adding this Rx to my current schedule/regimen."

Kool Person (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

"Been on quite a few AD and this one worked quite well in the beginning. Helps with anxiety and depression felt more motivated, socialised more and didn't get much side effects. I was on 75mg. Did gain weight on it and after a few months stopped working! I quit cold turkey and wasn't that bad a bit dizzy and that's about it also didn't get sexual side effects. Don't let the negative reviews put you off it works different for everyone!"

P if g I m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was given Effexor XR in 2013 for generalised anxiety disorder. I was stable on 75mg for about 4 years when I decided to wean off it because of weight gain & the feeling that it wasn’t effective anymore in 2017. I weaned off using a Prozac bridge but relapsed 4 months later after a death in the family. I was restarted on Effexor XR and after 2 weeks started to feel better & had 2 good weeks. Out of the blue I stopped sleeping, started having panic attacks, paranoia & dark thoughts, I have never experienced anything like it. I sought out a psychiatrist & psychologist for help as my GP didn’t know what to do. I’ve been started on a Tricyclical antidepressant & am slowly weaning off the Effexor. My message is that everyone reacts differently to medication, carefully watch your reactions to a new medication & please seek help if you need it. Thankfully I did & my kids still have a Mum."

Mumof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

"I started taking venlafaxine 3 days ago. I feel awful, I can't concentrate, feel weird, pupils huge, heart feels weird. Can't sleep well. Will this ever go away?"

Jessy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

"I was taking this medication for some time for anxiety and panic. It worked really well for my symptoms even on a low dose. However the medication is expensive and I had an extremely difficult time coming off of them. I tried 3x to wean off but extreme withdrawal effects. 4th time I went cold turkey (I know this is not advised!) and side effects lasted about two weeks before subsiding. Also if you don't take the medication on time or skip a dose I started to have the withdrawal effects."

Elle (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Just started Effexor Xr 36.5 mg I am hoping for a good results"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Stay away from Effexor Xr at all costs. It is absolute awful to come off of and it stops working after a while. This drug should be banned!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "On Effexor for 2 years, weaned off to a half dose for a week which was ok, then a quarter dose which again was ok. When I got down to zero, I was very dizzy, which also made me nauseated because I'm prone to motion sickness. Also had diarrhea. Took immodium for the diarrhea, no biggie. IF YOU ARE DIZZY, take OTC Dramamine or Bonine, the motion sickness medicines. They are the same as prescription anti-vertigo meds. You will probably still feel off for a week, but you will be functional. I had a low grade headache the whole time, and "brain zaps". Dramamine seemed to make those less severe also, down to just annoying."

Amy T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Got sick on day 1 and rash just started 50 mg of trazadone don't remember falling asleep. I just called dr to see if I can cut it in half. I feel like I'm in daze. How long does trazadone take to work in weeks or days?"

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I went from Dr. to Dr. for several years, but refused to take anything long term (afraid of getting "hooked"). Finally, after about six years of suffering and down to 129lbs, I went to see a Psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil. It seemed to help a bit, but the anxiety always broke through. Finally, around 2001, my primary care physician put me on Effexor 75mg. I had an initial side-effect, but I just pushed through it. I am glad I did! I went from constant anxiety and barely able to eat, to rarely, if ever, having anxiety and finally able to eat! In the years since (2018 now), The dose has been raised a couple times, and once in a while I will have a setback. However, Effexor (I use the XR generic version) holds my very sensitive fight and flight reaction in check. I strongly recommend this medication. It may not work for everyone, but it made my life liveable again!"

DWC April 21, 2018

"I'm 79 years old. For years I've been shy and not very outgoing. Also, I've had anger issues and have suffered low level depression. For years I've been taking various doses of Zoloft and Welbutrin and a combination of the two. They've kept me less depressed and quieter. Finally I weaned myself off them. But depression and anger started acting up again. So my doctor this time recommended Venlafaxine. He's taken me through three dose levels and I'm now at 150mg. The results are, at least to me, rather amazing. I'm socializing more - and - I'm wanting to socialize more. Furthermore, people appear to want to socialize with me more. Also, the anger outbursts appear to be far less frequent, and far less obtrusive when they do materialize (meaning, for instance, I'm not so abusive to those rude drivers who tend to thoroughly tick me off). And - like others before me - I've removed one star because of the reduced libido."

Ken (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018