User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I'm 79 years old. For years I've been shy and not very outgoing. Also, I've had anger issues and have suffered low level depression. For years I've been taking various doses of Zoloft and Welbutrin and a combination of the two. They've kept me less depressed and quieter. Finally I weaned myself off them. But depression and anger started acting up again. So my doctor this time recommended Venlafaxine. He's taken me through three dose levels and I'm now at 150mg. The results are, at least to me, rather amazing. I'm socializing more - and - I'm wanting to socialize more. Furthermore, people appear to want to socialize with me more. Also, the anger outbursts appear to be far less frequent, and far less obtrusive when they do materialize (meaning, for instance, I'm not so abusive to those rude drivers who tend to thoroughly tick me off). And - like others before me - I've removed one star because of the reduced libido."

Ken (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018

"I'm a late 40s male suffered all my life with alcohol abuse, anxiety ,anxiousness, panic attacks, social phobia etc. I've tried everything but medical marijuana ,which I would but would harm my lungs. I have to tell you my dr put me on venlafaxine ,37.5 mg now I know what life is meant to be lived like. I've had breakdowns and had to go into pschyc wards and things in my life at the time which have been a train wreck to say the least. I had tried everything was Paxil, clonazepam ,etc. I can't believe taking things easy as life was meant to be lived like this. Thanks be to God for giving men the knowledge and know how over time to keep creating new drugs"

Frog (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

"I went from not wanting to leave my house to taking part in a charity boxing event. I only gave it 9/10 because of the loss of libido."

JR UK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

"I’ve been on Effexor 75 mg for a little over a month. I was cross tapered from 100 mg of Sertraline with 37.5 mg of Effexor. I feel like I’m responding well to this but I’m feeling nauseous more often than I ever have and I even threw up at work and at the gym on separate occasions. I get stomach pains and feelings of being sick along with the nausea. I’m not pregnant either. Does anyone else have a similar issue?"

Kc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

"I don't get this. I suffer from sever GAD and insomnia. I only get depressed sometimes due to lack of sleep and anxiety over everything. I heard rave reviews for panic disorder. I have only been on a couple of month but the drug totally amps me up. I don't understand how it works for anxiety. I get the same feeling as on Wellbutrin. Am I missing something. I have to take it first thing in the morning for even a small chance of sleeping at night. I didn't think SNRI's were noted for helping anxiety, more for depression. Should it not be working by 8 weeks? Does anyone else find it amps them up? or do you find it really reduces your anxiety? Any help or experiences would be great appreciated. I feel like I am the only one it does this to."

Katie60 February 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started this drug in Jan 2018. I started on 37.5 and went up to 75mg after 3 weeks. I have a history of severe anxiety with panic. I can tell you this drug is the only thing I have taken that completely erases negative thoughts and any and all thoughts of panic. I was never really depressed, but I can tell it has lifted my mood as well. I have tried every SSRI under the sun and Effexor is the only thing that worked for the anxiety AND panic. I encourage you to at least try it, if I made decisions based on the reviews I have read from this drug I would have never tried it. We are all different and react differently to each drug. I viewed the med as a nothing to loose situation so I gave it a shot and it worked for me."

Sha2213 February 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My GP put me (female, 19) on Effexor for anxiety, it was the first time I'd taken medication for mental health. I'm going to be honest it was fine while taking it, but looking back I was in an apathetic fog for the year I was on it and totally disregarded my relationships. Coming off of it on the other hand was an absolute nightmare, even under the supervision of a doctor and weaning off slowly, I've never been more miserable! Could not sleep because of paranoia and the mood swings had me ripping books and sobbing over spilt milk or dropping something on the floor. For long term use it would probably be great, but if you're new to antidepressants or just testing it out, be so so careful!"

Taylee2 February 14, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I wanted to share my experience as I’ve read so many awful reviews about this drug. Granted this isn’t the right one for me, I did not experience the horrible side effects described by some people. My psychiatrist started me out on 75 mg, after while worked up to 150mg, and finally today I’m on 225mg (over the course of about 10-12 weeks). The only side effects I’ve had are occasional headaches and some constipation. I go back to my psych in a few days and I think we will agree to move me on to another Rx. The 150mg dose made me so exhausted, I hated it. I felt awful. When I started the 225mg, I at least felt like a person again and had energy to do basic things like shower and clean my house. It didn’t resolve my anxiety but for those of you who may be afraid to try it, please don’t be afraid of the negative reviews/side effects. I wish so bad this worked for me but it didn’t."

Jes1004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for 9 weeks now and I have to say it is working like a charm!! I have not experienced any side effects other than a dry month and am a little slower to achieve an orgasm (the desire is still there however). I am soooo glad I decided to take Effexor!! I had been dealing with horrible anxiety for about a year and would constantly think about it throughout the day. I was effecting simple tasks and crippling me. I feel like my old self again! Not over thinking every damn thing! I had an allergic reaction to Zoloft so I was very afraid to start a new med. So glad I did!"

Sheri D December 4, 2017

"My doctor had me try several different meds for my panic disorder and depression and nothing worked except lexapro but I hated being on it because it ruined my sex life, gave me IBS, made me fat, and made me feel zombie like and the worst part is that the positive effects of the medicine would wear off within a few months and just leave me with all the bad side effects. I was finally about to give up on all medicine and just crawl under a rock for good when she said that there was a new version of Effexor that was extended release and getting good feedback. On just 75 mg a day, my life and turned around 360 degrees. No more bad anxiety and when I get an attack it’s much more manageable. My orgasms have returned, losing weight, feel amazing!"

AJ Loftis November 12, 2017

"Zapped my sex life. Stopped erections and ejaculation. Stopped any sensation from sex. Tried ED pills to counteract but didn't work. Am going to my doctor to get off these pills. Been taking for about 4 months. Should have never started these garbage pills."

Bruno Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

"Venlafaxine didn't work well for me, although I was no longer anxious, I did feel like I was a zombie. My message to anyone trawling the internet for answers & hope. YOU WILL GET BETTER! It may take time and trial/ error with your treatments, but every human being is different so if one treatment worked for someone and not you, then there are a whole host of other treatments & combinations. Talk to people whether family, friends, support groups, online forums. Go to your doctor or consultant and take all the help you can. If you are not happy with your treatment, ask for a different healthcare professional. As I write, I am in recovery on Sertraline. I have agorophobia, but am starting to get back to a somewhat normal life."

Recovery! October 9, 2017

"My Dr started me on 150mg venlafaxine and my side effect was I almost had a stroke like feeling."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

"Every day I take this drug, I feel better and better. So calm, my ADD is in check and I sleep through the night. I have been on zoloft, celexa, vyvance and wellbutrin. Nothing other than benzos have taken away my generalized anxiety and made me feel calm and happy No menopause symptoms either. The only thing that scares me now is I hear how hard it is to come off of. At this point I don't want to come off of it. But I have come off zoloft, vyvance and wellbutrin. Why would it be so much harder to come off than those medications. I don't suffer from depression just debilitating anxiety and it has literally improved my quality of life 100percent. All's I hear are horror stories and I don't get it. Love to hear from other good experiences"

Miss Clairol (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

"I'm on 75mg venlafaxine but I'm going up another 37.5mg I'm scared is this ok to do as my psych said that 75mg is too low."

Debz1967 August 10, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor around 3 years ago, 150 mg, because I was having a terrible time with anxiety and it was starting to physically manifest itself at the worst possible times. Initially it worked quite well and I was more or less getting back to my normal self. I felt so good, in fact, I thought I no longer needed the Effexor and started the slow taper and eventually stopped taking it. My anxiety quickly returned along with terrible dizziness and an overwhelming fear of being around other people. I also suffered several seizures, which we are still not sure are linked to coming off the Effexor, but my doctors are suspicious. Nonetheless, my life has been HELL since stopping. Trying Lexapro now to hopefully get some of "ME' back."

love2run26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for quite a few years now taking 112.5mg. I didn't have any problems with this med but have been wanting to simplify my regime. So 112.5 to 75mg saw no real withdrawal or return of depression or anxiety. But, 75mg to 37.5mg, I cannot bear. I feel awful, irritable, nasty, and even aggressive at times. Imagine waking up every morning for 2 weeks being 50 Shades of Pissed! My personality changed if feels like. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. It would appear that Effexor is effective for my anxiety."

Megan Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

"I am amazed by this drug. I suffer from extreme general anxiety, insomnia as well as adult ADD. I have been on celexa, worked for about 6 months. Zoloft, not bad stablizes emotions but doesn't get rid of anxiety. Wellutrin, made me so depressed. I was actually given this drug as off market for hot flashes while still on zoloft. Well I went off the zoloft immediately because this drug worked so well. First time ever (other than taking benzos) I had no butterflies in my stomach, fear over nothing and slept better. I can't believe the difference in finding the right drug. I don't really suffer from depression, I only get depressed because of my anxiety and chronic insomnia. This has been a miracle drug for me."

Miss Clairol July 12, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed this medication when Celexa wasn't working. My doctor put me on 75mg to start and that night I took my first dose at 9:30pm and by 11pm I was a total wreck. I became super nauseous and began throwing up quite a bit. My my body was restless and my arms and neck were numb and tingly. I managed to get a bit of sleep but the next morning was a write off - I felt completely disabled and lethargic. I was so weak, I could hardly hold my cell phone. I could hardly walk I was so dizzy and the brain zaps were fierce. I immediately visited my doctor and he prescribed me something else. 75mg to start was way tooooo strong for me. I can't believe the side effects I've suffered after 1 dose. My advice would to please try another option."

Skye080893 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

"I'm getting anxiety and have panic attacks that are horrible since I took these pills! I had anxiety before but never got the attacks that I'm getting today! I have bad thoughts and sleep all the time and don't feel like doing anything. Just worry and cry."

Dadaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017