User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Brilliant medication. I know Venlafaxine is contraindicated in people who experience mania and I have had some issues with that but overall, with other medications that stabilise my mood, I have found Venlafaxine to be a life saver. I am 23, been hospitalised before for a long time and it was the first med I agreed to go back on after a period of desperation following a year of refusal to take meds due to extreme anti-psychiatry views. Now my anxiety is massively decreased, I feel much more on a level, less irritable, far less lethargic. This medication has done so much for me. No side effects apart from the initial week or two of starting it I got some insomnia and occasionally I get a very dry mouth. Sometimes a bad tremor."

Sezthet April 12, 2016

"I have been on venlafaxine for almost 10 years. After being diagnosed with severe depression when I was in my twenties, I was prescribed Prozac on which I couldn't function, and then Paxil which worked okay at first. Several years later after years of both manic and depressive episodes, the worst full-blown manic episode got me re-diagnosed as bi-polar. I was prescribed venlafaxine, a very small dose which made me violently ill for over 2 weeks, but after that, it improved and I felt better. My dosage has been upped numerous times. I am now at 225 mg and have been for a couple of years. It has been a life saver. I feel like I have a new life; one without rages, anxiety, and depression. My family is much more stable now that I am stable."

Mum24 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2016

"Started out on 300 mgs 1 x per day. Can't say it helped or didn't. The dose was lowered to 75 mgs at one point to see if it was the reason for my memory loss. Supposedly I had an acute stroke with partial blockage in my neck. I have been on it 15 years doctors recomendations. Last 7 years have been on 150 mg's 1 x per day. Mind comes and goes. Sometimes I can't remember my husbands name. I had no visual signs of stroke. They said it was an old stroke I never noticed. I also take xanax 2 mgs per day. Gabapentin 300 mgs per day. Geodon 40 mgs per day. Bisoprolol 10 mgs 1 x a day. Diabetic. Take insulin. Anxiety is gone. I do need to figure out what is causing my memory to come and go. Wondering if anyone else has this problem on Effexor ER."

Faithy161 (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2016

"This medicine was a God send for the depression. Shortly after beginning it I developed sores on my tongue.The next week my face began hurting and swelling, first at the jaw hinges, then up to my temples. The pain got so bad I couldn't open my mouth to eat. I realized I was grinding my teeth, clenching my jaws and flexing my facial muscles. Long story short, I am off the meds and on a different antidepressant. The 2 weeks of being off my meds nearly killed me (suicidal alcoholic). I now know that other medical issues combined with the drug to cause the extreme reaction. Please be careful with this medicine. My doctors can't say that the teeth grinding will go away, but the pain is getting better and I have hope again."

Blckft (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2015

"Started it in March 2015 . Decreases my appetite , withdrawal over 3 days ..terrible . Feels like my head is swimming . Sense of well being has noticeably improved ."

DizzyStable (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2015

"I was misdiagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and it turned out that I had Bipolar 2 Disorder. I take Effexor 150 mg for my Depression and Abilify 10 mg for my mood swings and anxiety. It works pretty well, but I do have restlessness and random hyperness at times, especially around my period. I'd recommend it."

Carr92 July 23, 2015

"I have been in Effexor for twelve years and it's been very effective until just recently. (I think my body has grown too used to it.) When it was still able to effect me, it was super useful. The bad part is that you'll suffer from withdrawal symptoms if you don't take it for over 24 hours. I ran out in college for FIVE DAYS (I lived in one city and my psychiatrist was in another) and I was miserable - chills, weird dreams, everything. Never let it run out and never forget to take it. Otherwise it's a good medicine."

Solosis July 10, 2015

"I started on this after trying most of the SSRI's and Mirtazapine. Only the Mirtazapine worked for my mood but I had horrific side effects with it so doctor suggested Venlafaxine. I started on 37.5mg twice a day and got quite bad nausea for about a week. After that had gone it was great. My mood dropped a bit from being happy on Mirtazapine to being on such a low dose of Venlafaxine but now I'm on 150mg a day it seems to be improving again. I'm very careful not to miss a dose though from what I've read about the withdrawal symptoms. This should be a long term medication for me as it works and I've got no long term side effects."

Pelixue May 29, 2015

"I may have had good experiences with Effexor the first six months or so. But, without a mood stabilizer, I soon went into a hypomanic stage. At times, on the medicine, I went into an full-blown manic phases. Once again, without a mood stabilizer. The most challenging part about this medicine, (or the generic venlafaxine which I took) is quitting it. Now, I am a poster child for doing it wrong, no doubt. That is, it is extremely challenging to quit this medicine going Cold Turkey. You will read online where people will tell you point blank, "Do not quit this medicine cold turkey." Listen to them. It took at least five months to feel like this medicine was totally out of my system."

Bipolar Brad (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

"Been on 150mg of Venlafaxine for 12 years upped a year ago to 225mg and havent noticed a difference. my daughter knows when i haven't taken it though....i either go manic or very low. I still have more lows than highs. I am 51 years old now and was first put on Valium at 2.5 years old. I was told years ago it was Clinical Depression with Manic Tendencies...my eldest brother had the same (other 2 brothers...no mental illness) as me....he committed Suicide a number of years ago."

Tazzidevil (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2015

"Overall venlafaxine did what it was supposed to do, it kept my moods level, however; the withdrawals from having to stop it after becoming pregnant were horrible. Even with titrating off of it my brain and body felt like they were going to explode. The brain shivers landed me in the hospital (hyperemesis gravidarum didn't exactly help). The withdrawals alone will stop me from ever taking venlafaxine again."

carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2014

"I have been on Effexor for almost 20 years now. The withdraw from this drug is horrific, so I try to make sure I always take it. It has only just barely maintained my mood and I've had 3 admissions to a Psych ward over the years. But it was a God send when I was first put on it, because at least now I was able to function and control my rages and my depression somewhat. After my last break down I was put on Abilify (which I now can't afford) along with my Effexor and I was suddenly awake for the first time in 35 years, it was an amazing combination for me. I hope to be able to afford the Abilify once again but for now my Effexor maintains me at a somewhat tolerable level!"

HoosierMiMI (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the only medicine that helps my depression. Only side effect, was sexual dysfunction but now that is completely gone. I take 187.5mg a day."

qwerty_lv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal."

SLP 49 July 6, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max."

Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Great miracle."

svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for nearly four years now. It did take a while, around 6 months, to really relate a big difference. But, due to costs the doctor put me on regular Effexor and it was uncomfortable and I was afraid I would get in that terrible suicidal tunnel. Went back to Effexor XR and am doing fine. I don't feel any side effects and it blends well with other medications I have to take. I sure hope the effects do not wear off. The other medications I take are Lamictal and Keppra ER, I am an epileptic. No problems there either."

Sophronia March 9, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects."

spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this for 2 years now and it has been the best thing to happen to me. It was only when I had had bad suicidal thoughts that my doctor finally realized I had bipolar. They just kept saying I was depressed but to be fair I never told them how bad it was until I had a complete breakdown. After being admitted to the hospital I had to speak to a Councillor and was a few seconds away from being sectioned under the mental health act that they realized I was worse than what I was originally saying. Venlafaxine has made my life and my kids life better. I am on 225mg per day 75mg night and 150mg mornings."

krazyk65 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2012

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Very difficult to stop taking it"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2012

"I am a 17 year old female who has had manic depression for about 6 years. I had it pretty well-managed while I was on a combination of Wellbutrin and Celexa. However, I started hallucinating from the Celexa so my doctor switched me to venlafaxine. The switch of the medications was bad. I would scream and cry and freak out for no reason at all. I also had terrible headaches. I decided to keep on it to see if it got better...and it did. About 2 weeks into it I started noticing that I would hardly ever have anxiety or manic episodes. I'm about 3 months into it now, and I hate it. For some reason the venlafaxine has done the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. I have hysterical crying and screaming fits at least once a day."

PandaMorningstar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "The half-life of this medicine seemed to decrease over time for me (I was on this medication for several years). Eventually the withdrawal syndrome went from an onset of about 2 days to half a day - meaning if I forgot to take it in the morning, by mid-afternoon I was experiencing debilitating body aches, nausea, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and general malaise."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have tried Effexor XR no good for me. I found it to be nothing but a sleeping pill."

Anonymous December 21, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It made my "down side" not go as deep, but I felt like I could not leave the house - I didn't want to. No visitors - didn't want any. Since I'm a very social person my friends and family were concerned. My "up side was better - I wasn't POed all the time and the thought racing slowed way down. Not the best experience, but better than the whole trip down the rabbit hole it would have been."

N3GU September 14, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has saved my life. I had depression and anxiety so bad, I couldn't function and was suicidal. Couldn't leave my house, I wouldn't leave my bedroom or eat for days at a time. Since taking the Effexor, I can't believe how much better I feel. I feel 100%, doing the things that I should be doing, just like everyone else."

Anonymous August 29, 2011