User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

Also known as: Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine

"I've been on the 37.5 mg dose for 3 weeks now and it has been a life changer. I am sleeping at night again instead of being woken up every half hour with hot flashes. I have wayyy more energy, the post cancer fatigue is resolving and I'm feeling like I'm getting my life back. I don't know that people understand the impact that those hot flashes have on your quality of life. Some minor nausea, a bit of sleepiness, but I take it faithfully at 8:00 PM at night so the affects are too bad. Did I say how much better I'm sleeping...oh....and can wear sweaters to work again."

MamaB (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2019

"My Doctor prescribed venlafaxine for severe day and night hot flashes. It almost eliminated the hot flashes completely which was great however I constantly felt bloated, have gained a lot of weight, have become lazy/lethargic, I've become forgetful and I feel like muscles have become weak. I couldn't take the weight gain side effect ( my doctor said it shouldn't cause weight gain??) and the general overall feeling of blah so I stopped taking it. The hot flashes started back up almost immediately. Going back to Doctor to hopefully get something that wont cause weight gain."

beachcomber1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

"I took my first 37.5mg venlafaxine yesterday. My hot flashes vanished... I took low dose of HRT to manage hot flashes but had to stop last year due to breast cancer. The hot flashes returned. The venlafaxine made me super nauseous. Appreciate these reviews because several people seem to have had nausea with the first dose or so. Thanks for sharing info. I will stick with it for a few more days and see how it goes."

Melinda (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2019

"I had be having hot flashes, all day and that where unbearable at night - I will be soaked, and this cause me to be very irritated. Anyway my Dr. suggested 75mg in the morning ,it really helped and my mood has improved thanks!!"

Diva January 22, 2019

"My hot flashes and night sweats were gone within 24 hrs. I had been having 3-4 an hour day and night. I still get a little warm off and on and sweat but totally doable. If you miss one the brain “flashes” start in about 24 hrs. Don’t miss one. I do 75 mg a day. No Libido, but no reason to think it’s the meds but I should research that."

Gayle (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2019

"I was experiencing not just hot flashes, but what I called flu flashes because it felt like I had the worst flu ever when they happened. I was getting more than 20 a day and it was obviously greatly affecting my life. I sucked it up for almost 5 years because I didn't want to do HRT. Effexor saved my life. 75 mg and they have almost totally disappeared. I can handle 1 or 2 in the evening."

Pammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2019

"I started taking Venla 12/27/18 for hot flashses. I was having them all day every day and night; had me in tears...miserable for 2 months. After only 3 days of 75mg twice a day they have stopped. The first day I was very nauseous but it went away by day 2. I experience some insomia and loss of appetite, but I can live with that. I've set my phone to remind me to take them every 12 hours to avoid relapse or withdrawals. Hope this helps someone skeptical about taking Venla. Oh I'm 50, my last period was in October, not sure if it's gone for good or related to the D&C I had in November. Maybe I'm menopause...who knows???"

Meechie (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2019

"Only started taking today, an instant decrease of horrendous hot flushes, life has been terrible for last 6 weeks with roughly 2 hours sleep a night then having to go to work, I have had about three hotties all day, hoping tonight will be the first good sleep I get in weeks, will update ! So far, so good x"

Clare (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

"After being on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for 13 years, having some post-menopausal bleeding 3 years ago, then reducing my hormone milligrams, again started post-menopausal bleeding. My Gyno preferred me to go off HRT due to a higher incident of cancer after age 59 (I'm 61) and try venlafaxine. My gyno put me on venlafaxine 37.5mg . I took 1 dose of the 37.5mg in the morning & everything was fine until the afternoon when I got very drowsy, took a nap & vegged on the couch for 3 hours, got up, did a couple of chores, then planted my butt back on the couch for several more hours. The next morning I was still drowsy & didn't take another dose. I'm a pharmacy tech & enter data for prescriptions & was fuzzy at least half the day (not a good thing). The pharmacist working that morning asked if I was ok because it was that noticeable. Needless to say that I will not be taking this medication due to the zombie-ism. My Gyno is now going to try me on citalopram(celexa)."

darla October 30, 2018

"DON’T MISS a DOSE! Severe nausea, shakes and vomiting! Yes it does help with hot flashes but the sweating, shivering, headaches and stomach issues when you miss a dose by even a few hours is terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 24, 2018

"I have been on a moderate dose of HRT for several years... and although my menopausal symptoms significantly reduced.. I continued to struggle with hot flushes/flashes.. throughout the day, but particularly at night, reducing my overall quality of life. I mentioned this to my GP, who suggested the idea of commencing Venlafaxine due to positive results shown in trials of this. I cannot begin to describe the change and reduction of my symptoms."

Mo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

"Taking 37.5mg x2 per day It has significantly eliminated hot flashes, however, I’ve been suffering with serious constipation since taking this. As for people who get upset stomachs, I don’t, but that could be because I take it with food."

Happy now (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

"High blood pressure, dizziness, mild headaches."

CC (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

"Now that I have been on this pill (half of) 37.5mg dose for almost two weeks I have figured it out. If you have a low tolerance to drugs/alcohol DO NOT take this drug. I had to go off. It made me very sick at first, got past that. Then my hot flashes disappeared -yay, but I could not sleep because it made my mouth so dry, I coughed all night. And libido was completely numb. AND I continued to be a little foggy. This is not for me. Slight headache going off. Be very concerned when taking this drug."

confused (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"Read a Florida consumer protection report concerning Effexor. Reports brain damage. My doc says he does not believe that. I'm taking 12.5 MG once or twice a day ( half of 25 MG pill) and it does work. I was suffering from violent hat flashes after going off estrogen for early HR positive Breast cancer. I'm willing to take the chance because it is unbearable otherwise. But if you are young, especially if you've had a hysterectomy, I would take estrogen, not Effexor! And estrogen will keep your bones strong. Make sure it's bioidentical estrogen and if you do have a uterus take it with bioidentical progesterone. Vivelle Dot is (patch) is easy and accurate."

Deb April 4, 2018

"Intense hot flashes were occurring every few minutes all day and night. Now at 37.5 mg I am sleeping through the night for the first time in years. No side effects. Much happier and productive. Still get warm occasionally but can live with it now."

Sleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

"Originally, I was on an antidepressant that was no longer effective. I was transitioned from that med and gradually put on a high dose of venlax (200mg) for severe depression. Side effects were terrible. I experienced constant sweats, dry mouth, anxiety, and general discomfort. I decided this was not for me! But, when I tried to stop, the ringing in my head was unbearable. Gradually, my doctor helped me detox. What is pertinent is that I had been suffering with major hot flash episodes since menopause, which was 19 years ago. As my dose was lowered to 25 mg two times day, I noticed that my flashes were almost gone. I would have previously had 3 to 4 flashes per hour. Now if I have 3 a day, it's a lot. I've gone days without them. The only downside is if I miss a dose, my head starts ringing. So I take it and all is well. My depression is also in check. I have been on this regimen for about 8 months and have decided to continue."

Shelly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2018

"Great to deal with hot flushes. I’ve been using venlax for 8 months, then it caused inability to urinate problem under stress conditions."

JAT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2018

"Been using this drug for 6 months, cut my hot flashes to 2 or 3 a day and some days none. Wonderful results and it makes you a nicer person. Less stress!"

cba (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"A new primary care physician suggested Effexor to treat my hot flashes. I was so sleep deprived and miserable but didn't want the risk of HRT. The very first day I took it, my flashes practically vanished. After a week, I just get a little warm maybe once or twice a day. The first day or two taking Effexor I experienced a little nausea and tiredness but it has since stopped. I take the 37.5 mg dose once a day. My only regret is that this wasn't offered sooner."

moes wife February 11, 2018

"OMG! Only been taking venlafaxine 2 days and it has really cut down on my annoying hot flashes!!!!!! Used to have at least 10 a day and now in 2 days I’ve only had 3!!!!!! Awesome! Who want HRT and cancer possibilities! Thanks to my doctor who prescribed venlafaxine!"

Karlah (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

"I am on day 3 of venlafaxine (37.5mg) for hot flashes. I quit HRT a year ago at age 63 and began horrible and frequent hot flashes and haven't slept well in a year. On this med, day 1 I felt some nausea but the intensity of flashes was greatly reduced. On day 2, nausea went away but I was super sleepy. Today is day 3 and I have no side effects. The hot flashes happen less frequently and with way less intensity. My doctor says to wait a week or two and things will continue to improve. So pleased with this medication! And the generic was only $8 for 30 pills."

GigiMN (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

"When my gynecologist prescribed Venlafaxine for menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, little did I know that it is actually an antidepressant. Not only did my hot flashes completely vanish, but I feel generally calmer and at ease (not us anxious or uptight about things). However, this may also just be from finally getting a good night's sleep. Certainly, this medication has improved the quality of my life!"

banchita (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

"Took 75mg approx 2 years. Began to to have hair loss and decided to stop med. Titrated dose over 2 week period. Severe withdrawal symptoms but determined to come off med. Had extreme headaches, walked on tip toes almost 2 weeks because brain felt like it was bouncing against skull with every step I took. Got better with time but now 6 months without med and I am having headaches and phantom smells. Smelling cigarette smoke and we are smoke free family. The smell wakes me sometimes and yesterday during church service was smelling smoke. It seems more noticeable when air conditioning is running. Doctor wanted to have head MRI done but insurance denied. Anyone else experience this? Wish I had never swallowed the first capsule."

Kay in SC July 31, 2017

"This drug did help with hot flash but BEWARE! It's horrible if you miss a dose or and when you need to get off of it. Brain 'zaps', dizziness, crying jags, depression, and more can last for months, even when you ween off according to directions. The withdrawal is horrendous. Please be very thoughtful before you decide to take this drug."

Gigimc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017