User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

"My experience? I've been on many meds since age 16. Then at age 48, they gave me Effexor. It was the end of the life I knew. I constantly hallucinated. I yelled at my husband almost daily and when I could no longer feel the loving bond between my son and I and just wanted to scream at him until he cried, I stopped it cold-turkey and I was on ONLY 37.5 mg! I will NEVER take this medication again and for me, it brought out my mother in me and that's when I knew there was a HUGE PROBLEM with this medication in my body because to act like the very person who abused me showed me that I needed to get off of it or turn my son into me - broken and afraid."

Luppernoodle (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"after reading all the comments I thought I'd asked a question, I just start taking venlafaxine yesterday, last night I notice my tummy was upset, got up this morning with a mild headache, is this normal."

teepearl April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went through a full hysterectomy and ovariectomy in my early 40's due to positive BRCA 2 breast cancer and double mastectomy at 30 years. After the hysterectomy/ovariectomy the hot flashes and night sweats hit me like a mack truck. I was exhausted and gained a quick 40 lbs. Surgically induced menopause makes these symptoms unbearable. My doctor recommended an anti-depressant (effexor) but I was totally against it as I did not want stigma of depression on my medical records. I eventually gave in and OMG what a relief it was almost instantly. I have unfortunately had my prescription run out on 2 occasions and the hot flash symptoms are back w/in 2 days along with jitters and a bit of anxiety among other issues! This stuff is a life saver"

Sweaty lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug saved my life!! Sweating stopped immediately after first day. Agitation gone!! If you are going crazy from menopause TAKE IT! My stomach was upset for about a week. I wish I would've listened to my Primary Dr. A year ago. Just surrender and life will work out, calmly."

Cindo. (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"70 mg worked great for hot flashes but sexual side effects were a problem. Reduced down to 37.5 mg and that helped. Still have a few hot flashes but they are tolerable. This med is also used off label to help chronic back pain which I have. Helps uplift your mood too."

Cher bear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed venlafaxine 4 years ago for menopausal night sweats and lack of sleep. I began with 37.5 but after a few months was increased to 75 mg because my body was now used to the lower dosage and I appeared to be returning to original symptoms. My last prescription I requested the pills dispensed in 37.5 as I want to come off the drug completely and unfortunately this is the lowest dosage they are available in. I have tried a couple times to come off the drug (37.5) but the dizziness and brain jolts are unbearable and I just go back to taking them again. I have read several blogs on coming off the drug and the only way I see is gradual decrease even down to counting the tiny balls. Just started 1 every other day! Fingers xx'd"

NBL January 6, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried everything I can read about to alleviate hot flashes. I'm 47 and have had them for years but still have regular period so I can't try HRTs yet. Nothing over the counter has ever worked. What has worked for me (birth control, Effexor 37.5 & Effexor 75) work for about a year and then the hot flashes come back as strong as ever, all day every day. I'm scared to up my Effexor to 150. Right now, I am trying combination birth control and Effexor 75. It's been a week and no improvement yet. But Effexor did work for me and I'm thankful for the years it did. I had no side effects. It helped my anxiety too."

Baker2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dr perscribed 75mg ext. release for bad side effects of cancer meds. I took one and boy do I regret it. Rapid heartrate, anxiety, yawning, mouth watering, sleeplessness. I won't take anymore!"

Patient105 November 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My PCP put me on 37.5 venlaflaxine for hot flashes and anxiety. She did not want to give me the estrogen patch, which is what I hoped for, because she was concerned about my anxiety. The drug worked in 2 days on the hot flashes, eliminating them completely. Also, my appetite dropped and I lost 20 pounds in the five weeks I was on it. My anxiety improved a bit, but unfortunately, the drug caused me to feel jittery and disassociated from my body. I decided to dump the drug and get the patch from my OB-gyn--best thing I ever did. I feel AMAZING and NORMAL and haven't gained an ounce back three weeks later. I do not have my uterus anymore, so my risk is low. So glad I listened to my body!!!"

solarmal (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at age 41. Fortunately for me, it was Stage 0 DCIS. Unfortunately for me, the hot flashes started a few years later and almost ruined my life. I was getting about 30 a day, including having to get out of bed to walk around outside to cool down every hour. I was on no sleep, couldn't work, couldn't function. I couldn't take anything because of the BC but I knew I couldn't continue like that so I did my own research, spoke to 3 different oncologists and told my doctor about the drug. He had never heard of it but gave me a few samples. The hot flashes literally disappeared immediately. I took them for a year with zero side effects except 15 lbs weight gain but I wasn't dieting or exercising. Saved my life!"

BDeeC November 6, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor put me on this medicine for hot flashes and the roller coaster emotions that come along with pre-menopause. 37.5mg. After I took the first dose I started sweating, shaking, got nauseous and started violently vomiting, along with diarrhea. I had the dry heaves for 4 hours. Very scary. I almost went to the ER. I will not be taking this medicine! I'd rather have the hot flashes!!"

Tinkers66 (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first night I took the pill my hot flashes stopped. It's been a god-sent I was having hot flashes several times throughout the day and all throughout the night. Until I took the Effexor 37.5. I haven't had any side effects."

Honeysgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Effexor XR is effective in low dose for hot flashes. Sadly the doctors follow the guidelines presented by the pharmaceutical companies for dosing and everyone is different. DO NOT take 75 mg a day! . LOW DOSE is effective for both hot flashes and mild depression . I mean open up the capsule, count out 10 of the small balls of medicine and take that daily. After 2 weeks less effective and can increase to 15 to 20 balls a day. Track HFs on a calendar. Never stop without tapering down! COUNTER WITHDRAWAL WITH VALIUM, XANAX, ATAVAN, any benzos will do. These will stop brain jolts or vertigo withdrawal symptoms!!!! This med Iis strong. If this dosnt work for you, you can always increase. With my plan you can avoid withdrawal completely!"

Fineone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr prescribed this, along with other meds, for hot flashes due to perimenopause. I read up, at the time did not find anything too alarming. What I SHOULD have been researching was the WITHDRAWAL process for this drug. If I'd read that 1st, I would have asked for a different treatment route. FIRST, it didn't help the hot flashes. So last week, after starting at 37.5 and upped to 75,6 months ago, my Dr. advised to quit. COLD TURKEY. No tapering, he didn't appear alarmed, no big deal. My last dose was a Wed morn. Friday morning awoke with a KILLER throbbing headache, dizziness, nausea. Tried to manage OTC with Excedrin, Benadryl. After vomiting and visual delays, meclizine helped. Pupils were, and still are, PINPOINT(out of space)"

FIND ANOTHER MED-DO NOT TAKE (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Weight loss and Diaharia."

Margo Dog June 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a women of 45 years old and have been going through menopause early. In the past summer I started with anxiety, and terrible hot flushes which was effecting my life. I went to my gp who referred me to the Jeans Hailles clinic. Best thing I have ever done. Due to my mother having severe osteoporosis and breast cancer in the past, HRT was out of the question. The doctor suggested anti depressants. I started taking venlafaxine about 4 months ago and the hot flushes has just about disappeared. I have some side effects including yawning and worst of all a little constipated but all in all my confidence in myself has improved so much."

Joop71 June 27, 2016

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The generic medication does not help my hot flashes. I'm taking 37.5mg twice daily. The brand worked so much better, but the price went up dramatically. I really don't want to up the dosage, but these hot flashes are happening too often now. So, it's higher dose or live through the hot flashes. Hot flashes will not win."

PugMug May 11, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"DON'T TAKE THIS. I took it for hot flashes and now, at 70, I am trying to withdraw as it also has high blood pressure as a side effect. HORRIBLE withdrawal problems!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG."

GrandmaSusan2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Effexor for hot flashes for 4 years now. While it did relieve the flashes I must tell you about a devastating experience I had this week. The Effexor caused me to have a false positive reading for PCP on a pre employment drug screen. I will NEVER take this medication again and am on a mission to let everyone know about this problem."

gingersnap44 March 11, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I'm 28 and had a hysterectomy in August of 2015. I was put on Effexor 75mg in September and my hot flashes went away after taking the first dose.. I have gone some days and missed a dose here and there and have felt the withdraw side effects from doing so. Nausea, headaches, flu like symptoms... Recently I have been getting hot flashes more frequently so I'm thinking of upping my does age to 150mg. Any advice????"

Kayla13 February 18, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Venlafaxine HCL ER 75mg and it has been working very well. I also found out that my mood has changed for the better. I have been taking it for a year now. I haven't had any sleep problem from Venlafaxine and I also have diabetes and hypertension. I have experienced running out of medicine and I can say that it wasn't that serious of a problem for me. I refilled my prescription within five days. What I would like to know it the best time to take my pill. I have been taking it in the morning with my other medicine and food."

JAB1961 February 15, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed venlafaxine for my hot flashes. When I talked to her about going on hormone therapy she suggested that venlafaxine may be a good option and not understanding much about anti-depressants it sounded like a good idea.. wow was i wrong! I took this medication for a total of approx. 2 months. At first 37 mg worked great but then my body adjusted within a few days and the hot flashes returned I ended up increasing to a total of 3 37mg per day tablets but continued to have hot flashes and my sex drive became non-existent. I finally realized what I was doing to my body when I ran out for almost 5 days and the withdrawal symptoms made me feel like a zombie (seriously). This stuff is a very strong drug and very addictive."

chroke February 12, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first day I took this medication my hot flashes reduced significantly!! I am truly grateful!!"

Tracy S. (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from hot flashes, night sweats, and irritability - symptoms of menopause. The hot flashes were happening several times a day and were becoming unbearable. My doctor recommended Venlafaxine since I had a strong history of breast cancer in my family. The hot flashes disappeared the day I began taking the medication! My only side effects were a lot of yawning (which lasted about a year). About 6 months after beginning the medication, the hot flashes began to return (although not as often as before). My doctor increased the dose and I have been fine for over a year now. This medication really works for me! My husband loves it too because he says I'm back to my "old self" again - not irritable!"

Relieved! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's literally saved my sanity!!! Haven't had a hot flush since I commenced Efexor, and I was getting at least 12 to 16 daily."

KitKat65 February 5, 2016