User Reviews for Venlafaxine systemic

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

"Only started taking today, an instant decrease of horrendous hot flushes, life has been terrible for last 6 weeks with roughly 2 hours sleep a night then having to go to work, I have had about three hotties all day, hoping tonight will be the first good sleep I get in weeks, will update ! So far, so good x"

Clare (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

"After being on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for 13 years, having some post-menopausal bleeding 3 years ago, then reducing my hormone milligrams, again started post-menopausal bleeding. My Gyno preferred me to go off HRT due to a higher incident of cancer after age 59 (I'm 61) and try venlafaxine. My gyno put me on venlafaxine 37.5mg . I took 1 dose of the 37.5mg in the morning & everything was fine until the afternoon when I got very drowsy, took a nap & vegged on the couch for 3 hours, got up, did a couple of chores, then planted my butt back on the couch for several more hours. The next morning I was still drowsy & didn't take another dose. I'm a pharmacy tech & enter data for prescriptions & was fuzzy at least half the day (not a good thing). The pharmacist working that morning asked if I was ok because it was that noticeable. Needless to say that I will not be taking this medication due to the zombie-ism. My Gyno is now going to try me on citalopram(celexa)."

darla October 30, 2018

"DON’T MISS a DOSE! Severe nausea, shakes and vomiting! Yes it does help with hot flashes but the sweating, shivering, headaches and stomach issues when you miss a dose by even a few hours is terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 24, 2018

"I have been on a moderate dose of HRT for several years... and although my menopausal symptoms significantly reduced.. I continued to struggle with hot flushes/flashes.. throughout the day, but particularly at night, reducing my overall quality of life. I mentioned this to my GP, who suggested the idea of commencing Venlafaxine due to positive results shown in trials of this. I cannot begin to describe the change and reduction of my symptoms."

Mo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

"Taking 37.5mg x2 per day It has significantly eliminated hot flashes, however, I’ve been suffering with serious constipation since taking this. As for people who get upset stomachs, I don’t, but that could be because I take it with food."

Happy now (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

"High blood pressure, dizziness, mild headaches."

CC (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

"Now that I have been on this pill (half of) 37.5mg dose for almost two weeks I have figured it out. If you have a low tolerance to drugs/alcohol DO NOT take this drug. I had to go off. It made me very sick at first, got past that. Then my hot flashes disappeared -yay, but I could not sleep because it made my mouth so dry, I coughed all night. And libido was completely numb. AND I continued to be a little foggy. This is not for me. Slight headache going off. Be very concerned when taking this drug."

confused (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"Read a Florida consumer protection report concerning Effexor. Reports brain damage. My doc says he does not believe that. I'm taking 12.5 MG once or twice a day ( half of 25 MG pill) and it does work. I was suffering from violent hat flashes after going off estrogen for early HR positive Breast cancer. I'm willing to take the chance because it is unbearable otherwise. But if you are young, especially if you've had a hysterectomy, I would take estrogen, not Effexor! And estrogen will keep your bones strong. Make sure it's bioidentical estrogen and if you do have a uterus take it with bioidentical progesterone. Vivelle Dot is (patch) is easy and accurate."

Deb April 4, 2018

"Intense hot flashes were occurring every few minutes all day and night. Now at 37.5 mg I am sleeping through the night for the first time in years. No side effects. Much happier and productive. Still get warm occasionally but can live with it now."

Sleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

"Originally, I was on an antidepressant that was no longer effective. I was transitioned from that med and gradually put on a high dose of venlax (200mg) for severe depression. Side effects were terrible. I experienced constant sweats, dry mouth, anxiety, and general discomfort. I decided this was not for me! But, when I tried to stop, the ringing in my head was unbearable. Gradually, my doctor helped me detox. What is pertinent is that I had been suffering with major hot flash episodes since menopause, which was 19 years ago. As my dose was lowered to 25 mg two times day, I noticed that my flashes were almost gone. I would have previously had 3 to 4 flashes per hour. Now if I have 3 a day, it's a lot. I've gone days without them. The only downside is if I miss a dose, my head starts ringing. So I take it and all is well. My depression is also in check. I have been on this regimen for about 8 months and have decided to continue."

Shelly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2018

"Great to deal with hot flushes. I’ve been using venlax for 8 months, then it caused inability to urinate problem under stress conditions."

JAT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2018

"Been using this drug for 6 months, cut my hot flashes to 2 or 3 a day and some days none. Wonderful results and it makes you a nicer person. Less stress!"

cba (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"A new primary care physician suggested Effexor to treat my hot flashes. I was so sleep deprived and miserable but didn't want the risk of HRT. The very first day I took it, my flashes practically vanished. After a week, I just get a little warm maybe once or twice a day. The first day or two taking Effexor I experienced a little nausea and tiredness but it has since stopped. I take the 37.5 mg dose once a day. My only regret is that this wasn't offered sooner."

moes wife February 11, 2018

"OMG! Only been taking venlafaxine 2 days and it has really cut down on my annoying hot flashes!!!!!! Used to have at least 10 a day and now in 2 days I’ve only had 3!!!!!! Awesome! Who want HRT and cancer possibilities! Thanks to my doctor who prescribed venlafaxine!"

Karlah (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

"I am on day 3 of venlafaxine (37.5mg) for hot flashes. I quit HRT a year ago at age 63 and began horrible and frequent hot flashes and haven't slept well in a year. On this med, day 1 I felt some nausea but the intensity of flashes was greatly reduced. On day 2, nausea went away but I was super sleepy. Today is day 3 and I have no side effects. The hot flashes happen less frequently and with way less intensity. My doctor says to wait a week or two and things will continue to improve. So pleased with this medication! And the generic was only $8 for 30 pills."

GigiMN (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

"When my gynecologist prescribed Venlafaxine for menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, little did I know that it is actually an antidepressant. Not only did my hot flashes completely vanish, but I feel generally calmer and at ease (not us anxious or uptight about things). However, this may also just be from finally getting a good night's sleep. Certainly, this medication has improved the quality of my life!"

banchita (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

"Took 75mg approx 2 years. Began to to have hair loss and decided to stop med. Titrated dose over 2 week period. Severe withdrawal symptoms but determined to come off med. Had extreme headaches, walked on tip toes almost 2 weeks because brain felt like it was bouncing against skull with every step I took. Got better with time but now 6 months without med and I am having headaches and phantom smells. Smelling cigarette smoke and we are smoke free family. The smell wakes me sometimes and yesterday during church service was smelling smoke. It seems more noticeable when air conditioning is running. Doctor wanted to have head MRI done but insurance denied. Anyone else experience this? Wish I had never swallowed the first capsule."

Kay in SC July 31, 2017

"This drug did help with hot flash but BEWARE! It's horrible if you miss a dose or and when you need to get off of it. Brain 'zaps', dizziness, crying jags, depression, and more can last for months, even when you ween off according to directions. The withdrawal is horrendous. Please be very thoughtful before you decide to take this drug."

Gigimc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

"I was having about 10 to 12 hot flashes a day. At night it was unbearable. My OB-GYN told me about the medication and started me on 37.5 mg per day. In three days I was not having any hot flashes at all, it was great! Four months later my hot flashes begin again so he up my dose to 75 milligrams. This work for the hot flashes yet again. The only issue is, I went out of town for the weekend I forgot to take my meds with me. I miss 3 days on the medication and the withdrawal symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks. I feel jittery, severe headache, I felt drained, my body felt flu-like. Don't miss doses!!!"

mill5 June 7, 2017

"I was on estroidot 25 patch for nine years after a complete hysterectomy. Concerned about breast cancer my doctor put me on venlafaxine 37.5 mg to help with hot flashes plus anxiety after my son passed away, the effect was unbelievable. Minimal hot flashes and my grief and sadness was not nearly as bad as before. It was immediate. I was nauseated for a couple of weeks at first which passed. I also had anxiety for about two weeks which has passed. It has done wonders for me. I suggest that you not give up on it at the beginning because after about a month it really calmed me and helped with both situations that I needed help with. Hope this helps. Did not increase my dose as of yet.... four months."

OD (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

"My experience? I've been on many meds since age 16. Then at age 48, they gave me Effexor. It was the end of the life I knew. I constantly hallucinated. I yelled at my husband almost daily and when I could no longer feel the loving bond between my son and I and just wanted to scream at him until he cried, I stopped it cold-turkey and I was on ONLY 37.5 mg! I will NEVER take this medication again and for me, it brought out my mother in me and that's when I knew there was a HUGE PROBLEM with this medication in my body because to act like the very person who abused me showed me that I needed to get off of it or turn my son into me - broken and afraid."

Luppernoodle (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2017

"after reading all the comments I thought I'd asked a question, I just start taking venlafaxine yesterday, last night I notice my tummy was upset, got up this morning with a mild headache, is this normal."

teepearl April 23, 2017

"I went through a full hysterectomy and ovariectomy in my early 40's due to positive BRCA 2 breast cancer and double mastectomy at 30 years. After the hysterectomy/ovariectomy the hot flashes and night sweats hit me like a mack truck. I was exhausted and gained a quick 40 lbs. Surgically induced menopause makes these symptoms unbearable. My doctor recommended an anti-depressant (effexor) but I was totally against it as I did not want stigma of depression on my medical records. I eventually gave in and OMG what a relief it was almost instantly. I have unfortunately had my prescription run out on 2 occasions and the hot flash symptoms are back w/in 2 days along with jitters and a bit of anxiety among other issues! This stuff is a life saver"

Sweaty lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

"This drug saved my life!! Sweating stopped immediately after first day. Agitation gone!! If you are going crazy from menopause TAKE IT! My stomach was upset for about a week. I wish I would've listened to my Primary Dr. A year ago. Just surrender and life will work out, calmly."

Cindo. (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

"70 mg worked great for hot flashes but sexual side effects were a problem. Reduced down to 37.5 mg and that helped. Still have a few hot flashes but they are tolerable. This med is also used off label to help chronic back pain which I have. Helps uplift your mood too."

Cher bear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2017