User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Miranda · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

"My doctor prescribed me Effexor because I was taking hormone patches for menopause and wanted me to go off them. She prescribed Effexor because she said even though it was an anti depressant it would help with the sweating. I took one and an hour later I started to get severe chest pains. Later on that day the pain got worse and my fingers were tingling. I called the emergency services and was brought to hospital by ambulance. I was hospitalised for three days while tests were carried out . All my results were good and the doctors concluded that I had a severe allergic reaction to this medication and could never take it again. I had only taken one tablet."

Pinky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2019

"Took pill in morning, hot flashes back at night."

Deana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2019

"I was placed on 37.5mg for hot flashes and it worked for a while. Then they returned so my Dr. changed my dose to 75mg. I am still having a few hot flashes ( not anywhere near as many as I was) but I have gained weight and cannot lose even with a strict diet. I have talked to a friend who also gained weight on this drug. I am not sure if not is worth the extra weight gain."

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

"I have been on Effexor 150 mg for 1 month with NO help at all for my hot flashes, in fact I am in a constant state of a hot flash all day! Miserable. I am glad so many of you have found help with this drug but its not for me. I had a total hysterectomy 25 years ago and have struggled with HRT for many years."

Robyn May 27, 2019

"I’ve been on venlafaxine 37.5mg for nearly 6 weeks. My hot flushes are substantially less than when unmedicated, but not completely gone like on HRT, which I had to stop recently for medical reasons. I started on an evening dose, switched to morning due to poor sleep, switched back to evening due to several mild flushes overnight, and now switching back to mid-morning due to wakefulness and lack of dream sleep on evening dose. I had at least dozen side effects initially, and many of these have continued including alertness and difficulty sleeping, blurred vision, inability to orgasm, calf cramps some nights and brittle fingernails. Looking forward with trepidation to my hysterectomy so I can go back on HRT and stop this medication."

mira727 May 24, 2019

"I had a hysterectomy early in life. I started on Esterace for hot flashes with a sort of rush- like if you had a sudden fright- then a hot flash would happen. It started at my feet and moved up my whole body. Nighttime was awful. I increased the Estrace with no improvement. I tried the Venlaflaxine XR 37.5 mg. The hot flashes and rushes stopped by the 2nd day. I was not depressed but everyone was a whole lot less stupid :) it smoothed things out quite nicely! Now I want to get off of it all. I am down to 0.5 mg Esterace and I am having some night sweats but its tolerable. My biggest issue is I have gained so much weight. I can't stand the ringing in my ears any longer! I am on the lowest dose of 37.5mg, but I start getting the brain zings when I'm close to taking my next dose. Do I just stop it completely now and put up with the effects for however long? How long does the withdrawal take?? Should I open the capsule and divide it up?"

Suz May 10, 2019

"My Obgyn Dr. prescribed Effexor 37.5 mg once daily for hot flashes . I took the medication for two months and didn’t have good results and actually had sleep issues and restless leg syndrome as side effects. Call my MD and she told me it was ok to stop the medication without tapering. This was bad advice if you have been taking Effexor and want to stop you NEED to taper. I had headaches , nausea, fatigue, dizziness and weird dreams . I’m on day 4 of being off the Effexor. Not sure how long the discontinuation syndrome will last. I just call my Dr and left a message. I would suggest no matter how short a period of time and dosage that anyone should NOT "cold turkey “ you need to follow a tapering program. I’ll never take this medication again."

ItWorks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2019

"I'm unable to take hormonal therapy. I suffered for 2 months of nightly hot sweats that woke me up every 15 minutes to 45 minutes my Doc prescribed this I feel very fortunate the venlafaxine works for me."

Lynne · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2019

"Started taking 37.5mg Effexor (same time every morning) one week ago for severe day and night hot flashes. Had minimal nausea and dizziness for the first two days, and now nothing. My daytime hot flashes are completely gone with the venlafaxine (they were every couple of hours all day long) and my night sweats/flashes are almost completely gone as well. I have had the last two nights without a single flash and have slept great! I tried everything possible over the counter and "natural" but the Effexor is the only thing that has truly worked and worked fast for those hot flashes"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

"I am on day 5 of venlafaxine 37.5mg & the side effects seem to be subsiding thank goodness because I wasn't sure I could keep taking it, they were that bad. I am 40 years old & I have been going through early menopause for almost 4 years. I haven't slept through the night in about 3 years. The hot flashes & night sweats are the worst. So far I have not gotten any relief from this medication. It honestly makes me a little jealous that people on here have gotten relief after their 1st dose. I am going to stick with it for awhile but I do not want to up my dose because the side effects are so bad."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2019

"I was given venlafaxine for my hot flushes it worked great, I was wondering how long it would take and it worked in 48hrs. No chest puddles. No moving to another bed!"

MamaB · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

"I've been on the 37.5 mg dose for 3 weeks now and it has been a life changer. I am sleeping at night again instead of being woken up every half hour with hot flashes. I have wayyy more energy, the post cancer fatigue is resolving and I'm feeling like I'm getting my life back. I don't know that people understand the impact that those hot flashes have on your quality of life. Some minor nausea, a bit of sleepiness, but I take it faithfully at 8:00 PM at night so the affects are too bad. Did I say how much better I'm sleeping...oh....and can wear sweaters to work again."

beachcomber1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2019

"My Doctor prescribed venlafaxine for severe day and night hot flashes. It almost eliminated the hot flashes completely which was great however I constantly felt bloated, have gained a lot of weight, have become lazy/lethargic, I've become forgetful and I feel like muscles have become weak. I couldn't take the weight gain side effect ( my doctor said it shouldn't cause weight gain??) and the general overall feeling of blah so I stopped taking it. The hot flashes started back up almost immediately. Going back to Doctor to hopefully get something that wont cause weight gain."

Melinda · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2019

"I took my first 37.5mg venlafaxine yesterday. My hot flashes vanished... I took low dose of HRT to manage hot flashes but had to stop last year due to breast cancer. The hot flashes returned. The venlafaxine made me super nauseous. Appreciate these reviews because several people seem to have had nausea with the first dose or so. Thanks for sharing info. I will stick with it for a few more days and see how it goes."

Diva January 22, 2019

"I had be having hot flashes, all day and that where unbearable at night - I will be soaked, and this cause me to be very irritated. Anyway my Dr. suggested 75mg in the morning ,it really helped and my mood has improved thanks!!"

Gayle · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 12, 2019

"My hot flashes and night sweats were gone within 24 hrs. I had been having 3-4 an hour day and night. I still get a little warm off and on and sweat but totally doable. If you miss one the brain “flashes” start in about 24 hrs. Don’t miss one. I do 75 mg a day. No Libido, but no reason to think it’s the meds but I should research that."

Pammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

"I was experiencing not just hot flashes, but what I called flu flashes because it felt like I had the worst flu ever when they happened. I was getting more than 20 a day and it was obviously greatly affecting my life. I sucked it up for almost 5 years because I didn't want to do HRT. Effexor saved my life. 75 mg and they have almost totally disappeared. I can handle 1 or 2 in the evening."

Meechie · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

"I started taking Venla 12/27/18 for hot flashses. I was having them all day every day and night; had me in tears...miserable for 2 months. After only 3 days of 75mg twice a day they have stopped. The first day I was very nauseous but it went away by day 2. I experience some insomia and loss of appetite, but I can live with that. I've set my phone to remind me to take them every 12 hours to avoid relapse or withdrawals. Hope this helps someone skeptical about taking Venla. Oh I'm 50, my last period was in October, not sure if it's gone for good or related to the D&C I had in November. Maybe I'm menopause...who knows???"

Clare · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2018

"Only started taking today, an instant decrease of horrendous hot flushes, life has been terrible for last 6 weeks with roughly 2 hours sleep a night then having to go to work, I have had about three hotties all day, hoping tonight will be the first good sleep I get in weeks, will update ! So far, so good x"

darla October 30, 2018

"After being on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for 13 years, having some post-menopausal bleeding 3 years ago, then reducing my hormone milligrams, again started post-menopausal bleeding. My Gyno preferred me to go off HRT due to a higher incident of cancer after age 59 (I'm 61) and try venlafaxine. My gyno put me on venlafaxine 37.5mg . I took 1 dose of the 37.5mg in the morning & everything was fine until the afternoon when I got very drowsy, took a nap & vegged on the couch for 3 hours, got up, did a couple of chores, then planted my butt back on the couch for several more hours. The next morning I was still drowsy & didn't take another dose. I'm a pharmacy tech & enter data for prescriptions & was fuzzy at least half the day (not a good thing). The pharmacist working that morning asked if I was ok because it was that noticeable. Needless to say that I will not be taking this medication due to the zombie-ism. My Gyno is now going to try me on citalopram(celexa)."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 24, 2018

"DON’T MISS a DOSE! Severe nausea, shakes and vomiting! Yes it does help with hot flashes but the sweating, shivering, headaches and stomach issues when you miss a dose by even a few hours is terrible!"

Mo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2018

"I have been on a moderate dose of HRT for several years... and although my menopausal symptoms significantly reduced.. I continued to struggle with hot flushes/flashes.. throughout the day, but particularly at night, reducing my overall quality of life. I mentioned this to my GP, who suggested the idea of commencing Venlafaxine due to positive results shown in trials of this. I cannot begin to describe the change and reduction of my symptoms."

Happy now · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2018

"Taking 37.5mg x2 per day It has significantly eliminated hot flashes, however, I’ve been suffering with serious constipation since taking this. As for people who get upset stomachs, I don’t, but that could be because I take it with food."

CC · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2018

"High blood pressure, dizziness, mild headaches."

confused · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2018

"Now that I have been on this pill (half of) 37.5mg dose for almost two weeks I have figured it out. If you have a low tolerance to drugs/alcohol DO NOT take this drug. I had to go off. It made me very sick at first, got past that. Then my hot flashes disappeared -yay, but I could not sleep because it made my mouth so dry, I coughed all night. And libido was completely numb. AND I continued to be a little foggy. This is not for me. Slight headache going off. Be very concerned when taking this drug."

Learn more about Hot Flashes