User Reviews for Venlafaxine (Page 4)

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 2,301 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Venlafaxine reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Somatoform Pain Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.5 2,301 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Becky · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 25, 2021

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Hideous poison. Was on 225mg for eight years. Sweating every night, neurological pain, twitching, shakes....withdrawal symptoms before I was even due my dose. Avoid at all costs. Am now on remeron and I can sleep and function.”

indigogirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 5, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Before I was to start this medication I searched and thought I better not take this medication because of all the people who said it was very bad. I have been on Celexa since 2000 with ativan 3 mg per day if needed. I had to get off of Celexa because I started having panic attacks and wasn't working for me. It didn't really work that great for for the past six years. I was terrified to take Effexor XR. Well I couldn't live with panic and anxiety anymore so I took it. I focus better, I don't dwell on things. I can sit and watch a movie without my mind wondering or worrying. I have lost 15 lbs. My husband notices a difference being more outgoing. Don't listen to what has been written. I wish I started this a long time ago. Best of Luck”

Hummingbird June 11, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I started venlafaxine after ending up in the psych ward for suicidal ideation and it’s been working super well ever since! My mood is way better and I can actually function again. I still have the occasional bad day but now it’s much easier to cope with my depression and snap out of whatever funk I’m in rather than spiraling for months. I really haven’t had any bad side effects while taking venlafaxine at all which is nice. The one thing keeping me from giving it 10/10 is I’ve missed doses every now and then and I get super disoriented, irritable, and emotional within a day of missing a dose, as well as really bizarre vivid dreams that leave me waking up super super dissociated. It’s easy to recognize that these symptoms are because I missed a dose by accident though and they tend to go away within a day of getting back on my medication. Overall, I’ve had a very positive experience on this medication and think it’s definitely worth trying out!”

Macy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 3, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I ended up in the emergency room for what I thought was a heart attack. After an extensive workup, it turns out I had just experienced my first major panic episode. I’ve always had anxiety, but it never got so bad that I thought I was legitimately dying. After speaking to my psychiatrist, he recommended starting me on Effexor XR. Within a month, I noticed a change in my ability to handle stressful situations and everyday generalized anxiety I battle with. It has boosted my confidence immensely. The only downside is that if I miss a dose or am late taking it, I have bad detoxing side effects. I would describe it as feeling drunk - disoriented, almost to the point of being uncomfortable to drive. If you are the type to be on top of taking your meds, I think this medication is worth a try.”

PandaBrian · Taken for 10 years or more January 17, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been on effexor (venlafaxine) for around 10 years and I could not have survived without it. It helped me to feel "normal" and allowed me to go out of the house without getting panic attacks. I did sweat profusely for some time and once I did not take it for 3 days that was really bad. I had shakes, shivers, light headedness and nausea... I would say this medication saved me from years of mental nightmare.”

sleejoh January 28, 2008

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I have been on effexor xr for about 8 years now, I currently am taking 300 mg per day, I tried to commit suicide several times before going on effexor, I had been on so many different antidepressants I thought this was how my life was always going to be my children slowly watching me sleep and then eventually die. The doctor put me on effexor and it was the best thing ever.”

Downout · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.”

Roolanda April 29, 2014

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants.”

saddled January 17, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Effexor XR changed my life. With Effexor, the anxiety is gone and I am able to stay calm in any situation and sleep well every night. My doctor has told me I can NEVER get off this medication because it changes something in the brain having to do with serotonin. No hope of functioning without this in my system. Well, I can live with that. I've got my life back.”

Cotinga October 12, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I will be 60 this year. My first experience with treating my anxiety and depression started around 1968 with a doctor convincing my adoptive mom to put me on Ritalin- In 2004, my Dr placed me on Effexor XR. Within a week I felt relaxed and human. About a year ago I had a really bad breakdown my current doctor suggested I up the Effexor dosage to 150mg per day. It worked, except for that I have lost my drive and ambition. I know I have things to do, they just do not seem to interest me enough. I get the things done I have to; then I just kinda slack down. Effexor saved my sanity so to speak; but have lost the extreme drive that propelled me in my younger days and I wish for that back! I just wonder if after 15 years on Effexor if there is something that betters it in the 'drive' and emotion department. Again, wonder drug. Sign me, Depressed from birth.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 1, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “It does makes you feel anxious and a bit sick but only for first few days. It's good to support yourself with some light med for stress. It goes away after few days you just need to make it through. After that you feel really good. I was on 750 dose for 5 years. Now I lowered it to 37.5mg but I am not planning to stop taking it. It improved my life and allowed to use my potential. I can see that negative comments here are mostly from people who just started taking it. As I said its temporary sickness. After 1-2 weeks maximum gets better.”

Nathan October 21, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I have struggled with eating disorders (Anorexia and Binging) for about 4 years now. It started at 16 and slowly began to follow me into college. I’ve struggled with relationships and often find myself extremely depressed and more anxious than ever. I started Effexor about 2 weeks ago now and the first few days were much like the experiences listed on here. I have done MDMA before and it does feel like that for the first two days. However, after I got through that stage each day has been getting better. Colors seem brighter and my motivation has started to get better. Before, I had struggled with finding any interest in life and everything seems a little bit more open each day I wake up. I do have some very vivid dreams and find that during the night my depression gets a little worse, but it has slowly subsided and I’m able to push away thoughts that normal frustrate me. I’m excited to see how each day goes moving forward.”

Rodenberry November 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “This venlafaxine worked well for a long time, but about five years I became less active. I thought it was the natural process of ageing, but after being on it for about 15 years, I subconsciously realised my brain had stopped producing as much dopamine, oxytocin, and probably endorphin as it used to. I became reclusive, till someone shattered that, then my brain said it'd had enough. It needed dopamine to get me out and about, it needed oxytocin for me to cope with people and being out and about, and it needed endorphin to overcome the aches of daily life. All I had was what the drug supplied; the other processes had dried up. So I stopped the medication. Had no choice. Within 2 months, dopamine and oxytocin started coming back. I now feel as young as I did when I started taking it over fifteen years ago. It worked great, but it's important not to keep taking it, as the brain will readjust neurotransmitters to compensate in the long run, and then you are a hollow person, supported only by the drug.”

Jon Sullivan · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I told myself I'd come back and write a review if I liked Effexor, because people tend to only write reviews if they don't like it, and that's scary for someone who is trying to figure out whether to try it or not. This was the first medication I've tried to treat my chronic GAD. Before Effexor, I was living in a state of constant panic and anxiety. It was really awful, and I felt like I couldn't continue much longer without completely breaking down. I'm now 3 months in, and it has helped so much. I am still myself and I have anxious thoughts, but there is no longer that sense of panic and overwhelming fear. I feel like I did pre-anxiety and its wonderful. Everyone reacts differently, but have hope! Medication can work!”

Stephanie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I was put on a starting dose of 75 mg Effexor XR and worked my way up to a dose of 150 mg. I couldn't sleep and my mind was racing. I wasn't myself at all. Back on 75 mg now and I feel better than that but still depressed. Switching meds soon I hope.”

Atexun May 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me.”

starsoul50 · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful.”

Anonymous February 16, 2014

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.”

cass · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “This drug venlafaxine turned my life around in the best way. However, it is important to consider the side effects. The side effects in the beginning were not great for me. I realized quickly that my stomach does not handle this med well, and I WILL throw up if I don’t go to bed right after taking it. However, as long as I take it right before bed it is not a problem. This med also made me feel quite drowsy for awhile at first and also gave me night twitches (body twitches when I was trying to sleep), which were annoying. After about 6 months of being on 75mg my body has completely adjusted to it and I no longer get those side effects (except I do still have to take it right before I go to bed). The withdrawals are also very uncomfortable, and if I miss a day, I am extremely dizzy. On the plus side, I feel extreme relief from my stress, anxious, and depressive symptoms, and I actually feel content with my life. I actually feel happy. Shout out to Effexor!”

lavendarles December 16, 2014

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!”

Mommy horse July 27, 2014

For Hot Flashes: “I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!”

Laurenressel12 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Effexor has been a life saver for me! I tried Zoloft first because that’s what worked for a lot of my friends. Zoloft made me very sick so I was switched to Effexor XR and I feel amazing!!’ I had been living my life after having kids, but sick to my stomach 24/7 and having majorly anxiety attacks. I’d have to leave work but no more. I still get anxious here and there but am able to cope with it now! Effexor isn’t for everyone but it worked and still works for me. The only thing I can say is a down side to it is I don’t always sleep as well as I did before starting it but life could be worse.”

Anonymous November 24, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “After 7 years of trial and error, This year I found a fantastic psychiatrist and I was finally told about "effexor". From being tossed on so many different medications in the past and none of them working I was SO desperate to feel better and also hopeless at the same time because I had felt like I had already tried EVERYTHING but I gave it a shot. After 3 months my entire mind set started to change for the better. Little by little I started getting out of bed again, socializing again, I rarely have nightmares anymore, I feel a lot more calm, I don't overthink little things and I genuinely look forward to waking up now. Do not give up on this drug if you don't feel better immediately, nothing will make you completely feel better but this is as close as I've ever gotten. Give it about 3 months to work and a year to fully work. I was a drug user and was at rock bottom/completely hopeless and because of effexor I am alive today.”

NLDIS · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I've tried many different SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac) and nothing worked. I was apprehensive to take the Effexor because of online reviews but I'm so glad I did! The only side effect I've had is tiredness the first few weeks but that has since subsided. I not only feel more energy but I actually can feel happiness. On the other medicines I just felt a numbness and lack of emotion but Effexor has made me feel like me again! This has been my miracle after years of mild-severe depression.”

Anonymous May 10, 2008

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: “I take 300 mg of time released effexor, a day and it has changed my life 100% It has helped me to not worry about rejection if things don't go right and to give a speach in front of a audiance had always been frightning as well as any crowds with others. Or being preccupied with possible rejection every minute. I did not relize how much joy of life i was misssing,”