User Reviews for Venlafaxine (Page 5)

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 2,301 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Venlafaxine reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Somatoform Pain Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.5 2,301 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor Queen · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Been on Effexor 150 mg for 16 YEARS. Can't remember any side effects that weren't tolerable. I haven't had one problem in 16 years of taking it. I have had three clinical depression episode (about ten years apart) so I have to stay on an antidepressant for the rest of my life. I like to say....I'm a "quart low" on serotonin. Effexor has kept the level up. Happy patient!!”

James bennett · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “5 years ago I got panic attacks. Thought I was dying! This created non stop anxiety insomnia etc. Couldn’t even function after this I was a wreck at 37 years old. This medication got me back into life. In about 3 weeks I was back on my feet. I bought a house and moved in with my girlfriend. I was on this medication 75mg a day for one year. Off for another year. Back on for the next. Then off again for a year. Today I have anxiety keeping me up for last few nights. I am starting on this medication again! Without this medication I would have not had a great last 5 years! Also currently I am starting to meditate as science shows it will physically change your brain! Wish everyone the best. Please remind yourselves it will get better!”

jlady/Cincy · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This (Effexor XR) is a GREAT drug! For those of you who have had a bad experience you need to have the swab test done by your Dr (covered by insurance) to find out what drugs work for you. Has been a lifesaver for me! I was switched by smart NP after taking Paxil for many years w many problems/after I took the mouth swab test & it showed Paxil was bad fit for me. I have zero side effects aside from a little weight loss which for me is awesome as I'm 57 & fit but had those nagging extra lbs. Extra lbs gone/mood lifted/don't dwell on stupid things. I'll be on it forever as I'm permanently low in serotonin & NEED the boost. Without it it I just lay in bed & don't want to do anything. Get the swab test done & if this shows up in the left column try it! Little adjustments with dosage is required - just start at 75mg which helps teenie bit & then go up...Its also cheap if you pay cash...GOOD LUCK!!!!!!”

Sonjatx1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier.”

Casper January 4, 2020

For Hot Flashes: “I have been taking 37.5 venlafaxine for almost 2 years. I was put on it as I was having terrible night sweats. They ended almost immediately. I have never been depressed so I don't know how that works. It helped with my dieting as I am not as hungry as I used to be. I take it in he morning and have no side effects. I am in my 70’s.”

Stixie K October 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I cannot describe how life changing this medication has been for me. I've been suffering from anxiety/depression, specifically social anxiety and low self esteem, my whole life. It was at a point where I thought it was normal to be negative, pessimistic, anxious and depressed all the time. I tried EVERYTHING including therapy, exercise, diet and an array of medicines and nothing worked. I nearly developed an addiction to Xanax just trying to combat the anxiety. Prozac, lexapro, Concerta, stratera; Nothing worked. Finally got introduced to Effexor XR. Started on 75mg for 2 months, I wasn't that satisfied. I got put on 150mg for 2 months then. CANNOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE. I'm happy, confident and positive. AMAZING. Long may it last.”

Tip89 · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I suffer from GAD and I have to say this medication has changed my life.. I am much happier and handle situations better. I only take 37.5 one per day usually in the morning and that works for me. The only side effects was insomnia In the beginning but now I feel calm and relaxed and I have great nights sleep. I wake up energized and wanting to start my day. This medication with therapy has done wonders. Ignore the negative and try for yourself . Reading reviews I was so scared to start this medication but I thank God I gave it a try.”

Aks · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This stuff is AWFUL. Feels like MDMA but with only the bad effects. Jaw clenching, can't focus, nausea, shaking. I was literally scared. I called the advice nurse after trying to make myself throw it up because I felt so terrible. Stay AWAY from this drug.”

NoName June 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job.”

Bridge · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: “I took Effexor for 8 years and it changed my life. I started taking it because I had crippling panic attacks. I could barely eat or enjoy the simple things in life. I had brain zaps when I first started but they went away completely. I never lost my sexual desires or had any yucky side effects. I weaned myself off this summer due to personal reasons. Weaning off was a nightmare but I got through it! Slowly tamper off, drink a lot of water and take multiple vitamins.”

Jeronimo · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2020

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Took 75 mg Effexor for 21 years. Dr said to come off and for 6 weeks I weaned off of this hard to quit drug. So now I stop taking it and 8 days later I'm still having the brain zaps. If you start taking it be prepared to experience a living nightmare if you want to quit. It did nothing to help me.”

Pisces90 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Effexor Saved Me After Many Failed Medicines. Current Med Combo- Effexor 75 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Abilify 5 mg It saved me from wasting anymore time locked up in my house 24/7 and avoiding conversations, knocks at the door, people, telephone calls, and anything else involving socializing. I FINALLY LEAVE MY HOUSE. WILLINGLY and REGULARLY. Daily. I NO LONGER FEAR APPLYING FOR JOBS. I NO LONGER FEAR THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING A JOB because I would have to deal with people. I am willing and eager to go out with friends, family, acquaintances, meet new people. SIDE EFFECTS- Only Nightmares, which eventually become less and less and then go away after 2 months. Maybe a little unpleasant at first. Definitely bearable. It's not bad for everyone.”

EIRE DOD · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for the past 4 months now for social anxiety/GAD. A sense of calm and relaxation has come over me. I have days where nothing seems to phase me and I couldn't care less attitude. For me this is a good thing as I use to worry constantly about small, stupid things. I think this is called "emotional blunting"I also seem to look people in the eye and maybe give them a smile. This drug takes awhile to kick in so I would suggest maybe sticking with it. I also take Mirtazapine 15mg at night,”

Angiedt · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I've had unmedicated anxiety all my life which seemed to become worse with as I got older.. Though I lived with it. Also I experienced my first migraine which were followed by almost daily tension headaches. My doctor recommended Effexor. I was very nervous to try after the many things I read googling. I told her I was also concerned about weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I was a newlywed of 40.. Worked hard to loose weight. She still recommended it. In a few weeks I could feel better. I noticed as time went on I was calmer.. I wasn't having 10 thoughts at once. I felt at peace. I started sleeping better. Because I felt better and my mind was clear, I was more patient. Sex was even better. I did not gain weight. a little nausea at first.”

Dani · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “I've been on venlafaxine 75mg for 7 months. Have been dealing with general anxiety and OCD all my adult life but never taken meds before. First positive effect was not tearing up all the time over a sudden wave of grief. At 2 months I wasn't depressed at all anymore. I don't get stuck in the obsessive anxiety spirals anymore. I think I still experience the feelings of fear and sadness and regret but they don't consume me every day and color my every thought. During the first 2 weeks I experienced dry mouth, nausea and headaches. I take the dose in the morning and if I forget, the next night I will wake up in cold sweat. I haven't noticed other side effects. If I forget for ~12h I don't notice a difference. I'm a 30-year-old woman.”

Ellie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “This medication Effexor saved my life. As soon as I hit my 20s my social anxiety got ridiculously worse. I became depressed, was abusing drugs and eventually suicide felt like the only option. I failed out of uni which made things worse. But despite all of this I remembered that my social anxiety is mental illness and that my brain needed help. “I am a good person and I deserve to be happy.” This affirmation allowed me to finally go see a doctor to discuss medication. I started Effexor immediately and took it every day. 6 months later I completely changed in the best way possible!!! I am finally happy, confident, in control of my thoughts, social and at peace. I highly recommend this medication, be patient with it as it does take a while to fully work. Worth the wait though let me tell ya!!! Stay strong my friends and please never give up. ❤️”

Calamity017 March 17, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix.”

Devon1177 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I am from Canada, 24 year old female. I have always been a worrier but first experienced anxiety in my 4th year at University 3 years ago, I had a panic attack which then turned into panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Effexor is a GREAT medication for me, my dose was raised way to quickly at the beginning, I went from 75mg to 150mg to 225mg in a month and a half and got horrible Effexor induced anxiety but when my GP realized what was going on she put me back to 75mg and then very slowly put me up to 112.5mg and I have been there for 2 months now and I think it is the perfect dose for me. I don't have intrusive thoughts or panic sensations. Be patient, it's worth it!”

Emily Forever Free · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 22, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Withdrawal is the worst. These drugs rob you of life's pleasures for sure. Only take the drugs after you try nutrition, exercise, meditation, any great behavioral techniques. Take it to stay alive only. Pray unceasing for another method that helps more. I moved away from a violent area which helped me greatly. I am well and happy now in Oklahoma.”

Charlie's girl November 3, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.”

Anonymous February 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR.”

sara90 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I came to be on this drug in January 2018. I suffered from panic attacks and GAD. I felt horrible, I lost all my motivation and I was scared being crazy. I started with Effexor XR 37.5 mg for a week. Then I switch to 75 mg XR. The first month was the worst. Dizziness, akathisia, more panic attacks, sleepiness, my nerves were cracking. After 3 weeks all the side effects were gone and I started to feel better. Every day a little better. Now I am a new person! My husband is happier than me! Psychotherapy improved the effect of the drug. I really suggest to complement the drug treatment with psychotherapy. What I suggest is to resist quitting in the first month...it's always darkest before the dawn!”

Lazapro · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “This medication Effexor was a life saver for me. I took prozac 20 Mg. It worked for a week or 2 and then I had to raise the dosage, until I got to 60 mg. My depression was treated but my anxiety was not. I kept having anxiety attacks every now and then. It depends on what form of anxiety u have. Prozac helped with not panicking in stressful situations but did not help with my fear thoughts. With norepinephrine things drastically changed. Though, when I raised from 37.5 to 75 mg my anxiety raised waaaay up. If u want to start at 75 mg make sure u take half and the other half at least after 4 hours until u build up tolerance. Hope it helps u too!!!”

VIRIDIANA April 11, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.”