User Reviews for Venlafaxine (Page 2)

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 2,301 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Venlafaxine reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Somatoform Pain Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.5 2,301 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

stargazer76 October 2, 2020

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “From my experience Effexor is a very effective treatment for depression and anxiety. I took it for 10 years at a dose of 150mg and felt great. I stopped 3 months ago and already depression is returning, so today I'm going back on! Yes the side effects can be grim but for me it was only when being late with dose or quitting. But overall I think its worth it for not having to suffer depression and anxiety everyday!”

Dawniow · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 23, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have suffered from anxiety all my life in varying degrees and have tried lots of different medication to control the unpleasant feelings. From just feeling nauseous, butterflies in the stomach or mild to severe full blown panic attacks. Venlafaxine for me, is a game changer. It helped me within a week or so. I started on a very low dose for 2 weeks then 75mg which I have now been on for over 12 months. My panic attacks have gone and I can now face the day without the constant feeling of overwhelming worry and despair. I would definitely recommend them. Very few side effects.”

Ryan January 23, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This drug is by far the best anti depression meds I’ve taken and I’ve been on since age 17 (now 34) of you miss a day you will be very emotional but other than that I haven’t noticed many bad side effects. My depression is great now and has been for year the only negative is my lack in sex drive and sleeping a lot. Not sure if that’s all the meds or just my lazy arse. Heard a lot of bad reviews but honestly I’ve been on it for 7 years and I think it’s great.”

Grateful · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 4, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Everyone's different, for me this one's a LIFE SAVER! My depression began 15yrs ago. In 2014 I hit my lowest point. Previous dr had me on several meds that didn't mix well together. That whole year is a blur, I don't remember any of it except for the few grand mal seizures they caused. Eventually attempted suicide with one of the meds and ended up in a mental hospital twice within a month. My new psychiatrist took me off everything and started me on this, topped out at 150mg (which I am to this day, 6yrs later, still taking). I can't thank that psychiatrist and this miracle drug enough. Taking with Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and I'm not sure which one, but I believe one of them has got rid of my sex drive. I prefer no sex drive over that really dark place I was in. Also, if I miss taking them a couple of days in a row (again, not sure which one is causing it) I experience extreme vertigo.. not fun. Other than that, I have no other complaints just absolute gratefulness. LOVE IT!”

lindsieloo August 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Miracle Drug! I advise everyone to STICK to it through the first week. For me personally, the first week was AWFUL. Honestly terrible. I was nauseous, disorientated, had short term memory loss - I felt high/disconnected to reality the first couple of days. After one week I woke up and was completely fine. I felt like my old normal self (without anxiety/depression). Now I fell very happy, motivated, calm and most importantly STABLE! No more mood swings, irritability; as soon as something dark creeps into my mind, I can dismiss it in a moment. I've been on Venlafaxine XR for two months (150mg now) and I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I gave it a go. Although it was my last resort, it was my best resort. I used to be a professional athlete, been vegan for a while, I would meditate, do yoga and non of that would help AT ALL with my condition. Now, these actions are starting to pay off with the help of this drug. Lots of love to everyone going through hard times, hope my review helps you <3”

Mistake March 3, 2020

For Depression: “I was put on venlafaxine in 2001, and soon became functionally narcoleptic and severely depressed. Over the years, doctors kept increasing the dosage, telling me I was simply very ill and needed a high dose of venlafaxine just to make my depression manageable. Finally, after 17 years, and several failed attempts to taper off, I stopped my venlafaxine cold turkey against medical advice. Coming off this drug was possibly the most difficult thing I've ever done, with truly horrific withdrawal symptoms, but once I made it through those months of withdrawal and recalibration, I learned that all those years, it was the venlafaxine that had been making me ill. As a minor effect, I lost 10 pounds within my first month of stopping the venlafaxine. More importantly, I went from needing 12 hours sleep per day to 7.5 hours sleep per day, and my depression lifted. That was over a year ago, and this past year has been my healthiest in two decades. After 17 years, I finally have my life back.”

Mitra_ August 9, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.”

Feeling Sane September 10, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I was prescribed Venlafaxine for major depression and debilitating anxiety while going through a massive life crisis (business and relationship divorce and resulting bankruptcy) about three years ago. My depression was my own worse enemy as when I needed to be sharp and confident for attorneys, I was a sobbing mess. My anxiety was debilitating and turned into panic attacks. While I don't think I would have taken my life, I certainly wasn't afraid to die. The crisis is finally behind me, and I have tapered from 225mg to 37.5mg over the last 3 months. The only downsides were, for me, cognitive function, apathy, and poor memory. I was unable to orgasm on the 225 mg dosage. It is important to mention that I did not get through this with drugs alone. I had a strong network of friends, family, attorneys, and healthcare professionals. Do not be ashamed of your mental health crisis! Be honest with yourself and your friends and seek professional help!”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “I would like to share something positive about venlafaxine because when I was prescribed it initially I was so scared about the withdrawal symptoms I read about that I nearly decided not to even start taking it. So I have now been talking 75mg daily for 6 weeks, I purposely take it at different times of the day just to test the waters and even missed an evening dose accidentally one time, well thankfully I have not noticed any side effected whatsoever, granted I am on a low dose and not been taking it very long but still I thought something may have happened..well it didn’t so please feel encouraged by this review that all these horror stories may not necessarily be true for your own experience and remain open minded.”

hhhhhhhh · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Started taking effexor in the luteal phase of my period (approx 10 days before menstruation) Premenstrual dysphoric disorder and it has CHANGED MY LIFE. I feel the best I've felt. I cannot even access the dark and awful thoughts/insecurities/self-loathing that used to be a constant during this period. Only side effects I've felt was a slight bit of nausea/ light headedness in the first few days and difficulty sleeping (I keep waking up at 6am, but feel pretty refreshed so it's okay). Will report back on how it feels to go off them at the end of this phase.”

K · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I knew my IBS was directly affected by my anxiety and depression, so I went to a doctor to be put on meds to help with that. Effexor worked wonders! I was able to put back on the 40lbs. I had lost from being sick ALL the time. And zero panic attacks. It's not as good at helping my depression, but it is noticeably better still. The only issue I have with it is that it absolutely WRECKS my stomach if I miss even a single dose, so I have to be really careful about that. But I mean, it's made my life so much more liveable that I consider that a small issue.”

Crazy4Effexor · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I originally started on the regular effexor when I was 16 after a suicide attempt while on prozac. This was literally a life saver for me! Switched to XR when it became available. I was on it for about 3 yrs, before deciding I no longer wanted to be anchored down by antidepressants. The withdrawals sucked...but didn't last long. I'm considering going back on it and am now 37 yrs old.”

Ginnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “My neurologist prescribed me Effexor XR for nerve pain. I had a head injury from a car accident and have been suffering from facial nerve pain, neck injury, and depression. This drug has improved my quality of life. I highly recomend it for nerve pain. I started out taking 37.5mg for a month. Then, 75mg. The 75mg dose works for me. It took 6 weeks for me to feel the benefits.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 12, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I’ve tried many different drugs for anxiety and depression, the last being Lexapro which did nothing to help me. Gave Effexor a try and I’ve noticed a big difference. I’m able to go out in public more without getting anxious, I rarely get depressed, and my mood has improved tremendously. No side effects. Just be careful to take it every single day and don’t miss a dose; my nurse practitioner said people feel terrible if they do”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “10 days in on 37.5 and already feel decreased anxiety. Sleep issues still and some day time fatigue but I know this will pass with time. Worried about stopping them one day from all the reviews but I'm looking forward to taking a year to feel good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: “Effexor XR is the best drug! I have tried Zoloft, Lexapro and Prozac and none of them helped me. I was nervous to start Effexor because of the reviews and side-effects if you miss a pill. I took a leap of faith and started Effexor, and I have been on it for two years now! I have never felt more like myself. Set a reminder if you are nervous you might miss a pill. Every body reacts differently to every drug so please, give Effexor a chance! It’s a miracle drug for my panic disorder. Don’t let the reviews scare you!”

Teetzy · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I started taking Effexor XR 3 days ago. So far I have just been nauseated so I got nausea meds. I’m starting to feel a difference already. I feel the effects of meds pretty early. I am really hoping this is my ‘miracle’ pill.”

Gamergirl4283 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Effexor was by far the worst medication I have taken. If you miss even 1 dose within hours you are sick and having withdrawal symptoms. It took a good 6 months before the brain zaps stopped. Run away. It's terrible.”

KEKENONO January 21, 2014

For Hot Flashes: “I had a total Hysterectomy last year and I'd not felt like my self since February 2013, but my Dr suggest that I try Venlafaxine and all I have to say is, this Drug has saved my LIFE! I was having severe hotflashes and mood swings, I was at a point where I didn't know how I was going to continue living like this! I felt like I was losing my mind and no one could help me. Venlafaxine has stopped all my Menopausal symptoms! This Drug has saved my Marriage, my sanity, my Life! I thought I was all alone until my Dr said, I was not alone and she put me on a 2week trial of Venlafaxine 37.5mgs and as I said before, I finally feel like myself again! :-)”

Uncle Lou September 24, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Was prescribed Effexor 37.5 MG for GAD and Depression. I also Have OCD. Side Effects were as follows; 1st Day: Fuzzy, Lethargic, Unable to focus, Stomach Issues. 2nd Day: Same as First Day with Loss of Appetite. 3rd Day: Same as Second Day 4th /5th Day: Same as Previous Days, except SLIGHTY raised Anxiety and Notably raised Depression. 6th Day: Felt Better, Slept Better, Appetite Still Down. 7th Day: Noticeably Less Anxiety and Depression, No Libido which in my case is good b/c I have a tendency to have lots of unprotected sex with random women. 8th day: Appetite is still not right, but I feel better than I did before I took the meds, and definitely better than I did in the first 5 days of taking it. For some it takes longer but if you are a person with bad anxiety, any physical ailments seem worse than they really are. I'd say the first 7 Days on 37.5 MG are tough, but it eventually got better. By Day 9 I am feeling ok, no anxiety and more of a baselined depression.”

ATTORNEYSA · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Effexor for just over a month and I can say that I'm rather surprised. I am a 25 year old male, who has been on antidepressants for almost 12 years (unfortunately I was diagnosed with depression and a social anxiety disorder at a very young age). Prior to being prescribed Effexor - I was on zoloft for a few years. Zoloft worked, but as time went on, started to loose it's effectiveness. With Effexor I have more energy and feel that I can get through the day. I hope this medicine continues to work for anyone suffering <3”

Kimeska February 24, 2020

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “WORST 48hrs of my entire life. First day I took it Effexor (dose 37.5mg) with my 300mg of Wellbutrin and I got to work and couldn’t even walk in a straight line. Went home and figured maybe I just shocked my system and slept it off. Next day I took the same dosage. First came the spaced out phase where I couldn’t remember where I was or what I was doing. The tremors? So violent that I couldn’t walk or talk or hold things. My husband came home to find me in the fetal position on the floor shaking violently. Let’s not forget hearing and seeing things that weren’t there. Another thing I noticed was that one second I was laughing then the next crying. It was so scary and I couldn’t stop it from happening. Stopped taking it. It’s been 2 days now and I still have tremors. Can’t eat. And the only thing that will stop the tremors is 1mg of Ativan. This drugs ruined my life in 48hrs. I will never recommend it to anyone. Worst 2 days of my life and it’s still going.”

THISCHANGEDMYLIFEFORTHEBETTER July 27, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “First off, I want to say I never take the time to write reviews however I do end up myself reading everyone else's so I hope this helps someone! I'm 22 Female, and for about 4 years suffered from anxiety. First it started off as panic anxiety then with failure of trying medications Prozac, Zoloft, and lexapro, my head was just so much worse. I could feel the chemical imbalance I began getting daily depression and anxiety to the point I'd worry 24/7. It ruined relationships & made me seem crazy. I finally got on Effexor last month. CHANGED MY LIFE. I feel NORMAL again. Happy, no anxiety, energetic. Only side effects were yawning, vivid dreams, & at first jaw pain. I highly suggest this with panic/daily anxiety/depression mix! My fears are gone”

Corri · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I was prescribed Efexor XR for anxiety. After taking 75mg for two weeks, the nightmare begins. Insomia, night sweats, horrific dreams and visions. I couldn't think or concentrate, I couldn't work or drive, my head was spinning, I couldn't talk properly. The headache was so bad it landed me in hospital. I was so tired and couldn't stop yawning. I actually thought I was going insane on this drug. Loss of appetite followed by drastic weight loss, diarrhoea. I persisted another week than thats when the electric shocks started through my body. They were horrendous and left me thinking there was something wrong with me neurologically. Against doctors advice, I went cold turkey off of this drug. The withdrawal was horrific but I was determined to get this stuff out of my body. Even 7 months off the drug, I still get some of the shocks and feel this drug has permanently damaged me. I would do your research well before considering this drug. Id NEVER touch it again. Worst experience of my life.”