User Reviews for Venlafaxine (Page 3)

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 2,301 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Venlafaxine reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Somatoform Pain Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 6.5 2,301 reviews

Reviews for Venlafaxine

STEEL · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I owe a great thank you to Effexor. My cons are vivid dreaming and minor sleep difficulties. But the pros for myself, outweigh the bad. For the first time in 10+ years my anxious thoughts and sweats are almost nonexistent. I enjoy the taste of food again. And I feel like I have more purpose, I don’t walk around with the “I’m just here, useless” cloud over me. I will continue to fight to feel right, Effexor has definitely gave me my footing.”

Happy in Canada · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.”

Ypiscis · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!”

Mickey · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I have only been taking Effexor for a little over 2 months and noticed that if I was even an hour late taking my daily dose I’d feel nauseous and anxious. I also began to notice that I was feeling nauseous anytime I didn’t have a full stomach, so weight gain was inevitable. I decided this drug was making my physical symptoms seriously distressing enough to outweigh any good it may be doing. I was shocked at how awful the withdrawal symptoms have been even though I was only on it for two months at a dose of 75mg. I’ve been experiencing nausea and “brain zaps” for two weeks now. My GP put me on Effexor, but after meeting a psychiatrist at a dinner function & casually asking her thoughts on Effexor she said she doesn’t prescribe it, its withdrawal is so awful. I’m glad I’m getting off it, but alarmed at how nasty the withdrawal is, can't imagine how bad withdrawal would be for those at a higher dosage and for much longer than my 2 months.”

The Listener June 23, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Sure saved the quality of my life. I was not suicidal; I was more like the guy who didn't care if the plane crashed. I took Effexor for 8 years. After that time period it had been a long, long time since I had felt depressed, so I began to taper off. I think it probably took me a couple of months to get completely off. I have been off for 5 years. I learned a lot about clinical depression and how to treat it. If my depression ever returns I will not hesitate to go back to Effexor.”

beaches · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: “Venlafaxine has allowed me to live an almost 'normal' life. 8 weeks ago I was honestly on the verge of suicide. It has now enabled me to be a mum to my kids and be 'present' with them rather than in my spiralling hell. It has helped me with major anxiety, depression, OCD and PTSD. I can now think more clearly in the day and have the energy to go to the gym... several months ago I could barely walk upstairs. It has therefore also helped me become motivated to be healthier and I've lost 12lbs in 8 weeks. I hated the first few days as felt very sick and drowsy but I persevered. I had a few night sweats in the beginning and dilated pupils but began to notice an improvement about a week into it. This is the only antidepressant that has ever worked for me... citalopram had no effect. If this is recommended to you I would definitely consider it. It has changed my life and my family's life because my kids have their mama back xx”

Cm · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “After 15 years of struggling with deep depression, pmdd, and post partum depression, 1 suicide attempt and 1 hospitalization, I have found the medicine Effexor that has worked for me. It's been a long road but now I'm at peace and living life to the fullest.”

Mikey77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Have taken Prozac, Zoloft, bupropion XR on and off over the years. Nothing has snapped me out of a major depression episode quicker than this Effexor. Already take 80mg strattera for ADD. Venlafaxine kicked in almost immediately and has been tremendously helpful. I have read all the horror stories about going off of it but I was desperate for relief and this really did the trick. I don't want to be on it forever tho.”

Believer · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “Effexor has been great. I had been on 25-50 mg of zoloft for panic attacks and high anxiety and it had worked for a few years but then after I went off for 4 months and started getting them again, when I got back on it I got the worst morning panic with nausea, vomiting and IBS for three months. I didn't want to switch but it was getting so bad I'd have anxiety for most of the work day and was afraid I might have to miss work. It was a good thing my cubicle was right next to the bathroom during that time! Finally I told my pcp I was ready to try something else and she prescribed this Effexor ER. She told me to stop the zoloft and start 37.5 MG of ER venlafexine. It was night and day. No more panic attacks and no more morning nausea and vomiting and anxiety and IBS. It's been over a year and I still like it. I took it in the morning at first but switched it gradually to night because I sleep better that way.”

Sass January 27, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’ve suffered depression for the last 11 years after a nasty breakup with the father of my two children. I was quite happily going on with life over the last 10 years, yes it had its ups and downs but eventually my sons father, we split up and bang! I was so depressed I wanted my life to end. Every time before I was due my period I contemplated suicide and in between it would pop up every other day. I just couldn’t cope anymore so went to my doctor and told her everything. That’s when I started my journey on venlaxfine. I started at 37.5mg and increased it higher the following two weeks,it would work then it didn’t and my anxiety came back so bad so I then upped it each time I had a bad episode of anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I’m on the highest dose now and can honestly say I’ve never felt better. I can’t even remember the last time I thought about suicide and my relationship is going well with my sons dad again. It really has changed my life, push through the side effects.”

Freebyrde · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I would just like to point out that every single person is different and adjusts to these medications differently. I had 3 suicide attempts before accepting medication and was put on Effexor. Effexor changed my life, until it didn’t. For 2 years it helped me to function normally, I went back to work, the suicidal ideation ceased and I was able to manage my depression. After a long time though I felt numb and wanted to get off of it. No one ever warns you about coming off Effexor. There is a whole group on Facebook just for coming off it. The withdrawals are worse than any drug I know. I counted every day. It was 12 days of agony before I felt any sort of relief. It was pure, utter awfulness. But I look back and think of what Effexor did for me when I first started this medication, and it gave me my life back. So despite the horrible effects coming off this drug, it still helped me immensely.”

hbaby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This medicine saved my life. I was at my wits end with anti-depressants and was ready to give up. My doctor finally prescribed me this after many failed medications, I am so glad she did. I honestly do not know where I would be without Effexor XR. Side effects were very mild compared to other anti-depressants I tried. I was drowsy for the first couple days, but it was tolerable. I highly recommend this for severe depression. I would also like to mention for people to realize there is light at the end of the tunnel and YOU WILL GET BETTER, and to never give up.”

Tol August 29, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. I have had depression and anxiety since I was 21 years old, and am in my late 40's now. Other anti-depressants caused horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. Plus the medications didn't work that well for me. I have been on Effexor for 8 months, 150 mg. It works wonders for me. I actually like to be around people now. I go places etc... I have a life again, and noticed that I get excited about life. Also, I have lost weight on it. My cravings are gone, I feel full after a meal and full a lot longer after the meal. I am gaining back my energy. I am a woman who was so severely depressed, I couldn't even get out of my recliner, and didn't get dressed most days. What a difference!”

Prodigal · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 19, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “31/m. I have been on Effexor XR generics for 5 years after nearly committing suicide at the age of 26. It has completely gotten rid of my suicidal ideation as well as tremendously reducing my depression and anxiety. Without it, I'm quite certain that I would not be alive today. After trying to get off of it a couple times and having those bad feeling come back, I have become resigned to the fact that I will likely be on this drug for life, but am okay with that to be honest. I don't really have any side effects from the drug, at least not that I am aware of. The reason I give it 8 stars is because if you ever DO want to get off of it, the withdrawal symptoms are absolutely horrendous.”

0521j0929d January 26, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.”

momof4minions August 22, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “Those side affects are all real and horrible but it goes AWAY!! Stick with it people! After 2 plus weeks on venlafaxine you continue to feel amazing! All that horrible anxiety, stress, all the peri menopausal symptoms woman have all go away! You can focus and be able to lead a normal life. That first week or so taking it yes I almost quiB, but continued on believing what my Dr. told me about it. they are right!. Best depression anxiety drug on the market.”

Mj June 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I was absolutely hysterical, I got so anxious and depressed, I wanted to end my life. I put off taking medication for so long. I was hesitant to take effexor due to the reviews. Now that I’ve been on it for almost a month I already feel better. It changed my life, I’m not anxious and I’m able to go out and do things. I do get dry mouth, insomnia, tiredness, and my appetite decreased.”

Sal · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “This drug Effexor XR saved my life. I had previously been on Effexor 75 mg for 30 years and thought I would try something else for OCD. Bad mistake. Other medications made me really anxious, depressed and suicidal. I couldn’t sleep and had lost 20 kgs. Doctor put me back on Effexor 150 mg and within weeks I was a different person. Back to my usual happy self and busy social life. Anxiety was way down. It saved my life. Only side effect is night sweats but I can deal with that just happy to be me again.”

SSKirby · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: “I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.”

Sxxyval · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “Horrible, pure toxic product that will leave you with tics and twitches for the rest of your life, if your doctor prescribes ANYTHING with a black box warning .... BE AWARE !! No black box RX is fit for human consumption, and Remember that the goal of the healthcare industry in the USA is NOT to make us feel better they like to create other diseases .....all depression drugs related to this one is horrible”

B · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2021

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: “Effexor has absolutely changed my life for the better. It's massively helped with my social anxiety. I used to dread going out for even the simplest things. Now I am able to go out without feeling extremely stressed and I even make small talk sometimes.”

Mustang Jack · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: “I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “Was on a downward spiral with anxiety and stress for years. Tried everything counselling, acupuncture, hypnotherapy. Nothing worked with my anxiety then 37.5mg of venlafaxine for 6 years I haven't looked back.. Saved my life”

nickname · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: “This medication needs to be illegal. It did not help my depression, it caused significant weight gain, and if a dose was missed by 1+ hours, the side effects were severe. The withdrawal symptoms are more intense than I ever would have imagined and prescribing doctors do not warn patients against this. After beginning to taper off this medication, I experienced really dark thoughts and attempted suicide. I was in the ICU for a week and a psychiatric hospital for 4 weeks. Effexor almost cost me my life. Please don't risk yours by taking it.”