User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings for the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder. 63% of those users who reviewed Venlafaxine reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine

B · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2021

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Effexor has absolutely changed my life for the better. It's massively helped with my social anxiety. I used to dread going out for even the simplest things. Now I am able to go out without feeling extremely stressed and I even make small talk sometimes.”

Oooppot November 24, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Literally, I was having a meltdown. Until I sought help, and this angel of a woman prescribed me with mirtazapine + Effexor combo ( commonly known as California Rocket Fuel) + Rivotril and my life is now changed. I feel like I haven’t felt in decades. I got my life back. I almost didn’t follow through with this because of the side effects you get in the beginning. But if you stick to it, 3 months in you’ll see for yourself! I seriously don’t give a damn if I need to take this the rest of my life. Well worth it!”

Kr · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 9, 2020

“Best medication for my social anxiety I’ve ever had. I have comorbid conditions, major depression and borderline personality disorder. The psychiatrist told me ideally it would work for both anxiety and depression, but for a lot of people it only helps one a bit more. My depression was still around, but my anxiety was better than ever before. It changed my life”

Andrea January 23, 2020

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “This drug has been amazing for me. My NP first started me on Zoloft 50mg and I felt no difference and then bumped me up to 100 mg and my anxiety got super bad, which I didn’t even know was possible because I have severe social anxiety. I got prescribed 75 mg of Effexor and the side effects were really bad the first 2 weeks and I was ready to tell my NP that this wasn’t the drug for me but I gave it about 2 more weeks and noticed a HUGE difference. Before taking this when I would walk into class my heart would be beating so fast that I thought I would have a heart attack, I would be shaking so much and would feel like I can’t even walk or function at all. But with this drug I was able to walk into class calmly, no shaking, and didn’t even mind asking a question in front of the class. I never in a million years thought I would have the courage to do that. I know everybody is different but this drug really has saved my life!!”

Anonymous May 10, 2008

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I take 300 mg of time released effexor, a day and it has changed my life 100% It has helped me to not worry about rejection if things don't go right and to give a speach in front of a audiance had always been frightning as well as any crowds with others. Or being preccupied with possible rejection every minute. I did not relize how much joy of life i was misssing,”

Ellie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

“This medication Effexor saved my life. As soon as I hit my 20s my social anxiety got ridiculously worse. I became depressed, was abusing drugs and eventually suicide felt like the only option. I failed out of uni which made things worse. But despite all of this I remembered that my social anxiety is mental illness and that my brain needed help. “I am a good person and I deserve to be happy.” This affirmation allowed me to finally go see a doctor to discuss medication. I started Effexor immediately and took it every day. 6 months later I completely changed in the best way possible!!! I am finally happy, confident, in control of my thoughts, social and at peace. I highly recommend this medication, be patient with it as it does take a while to fully work. Worth the wait though let me tell ya!!! Stay strong my friends and please never give up. ❤️”

Mer · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I have been using this medication for about a year now I am on 75 MGs per day and I usually take it around 6 o’clock in the evening. In the beginning I noticed a few side effects however this medication has been amazing for me. I have missed a dosage by accident and did not notice any symptoms I work really hard not to miss any dosages. I don’t think I even realized how bad my anxiety was until I started this medication I feel like a new person it is helped me a lot. However I think medication works differently for everybody, everybody’s body chemistry is different so it might react well for some and not so well for others. I think it’s important to have open communication with your doctor and to talk about negative and positive side effects you might be feeling with any medication.”

Papadopaulo · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Bodies and brain chemistry change from person to person so try not to generalize with chemicals. In my PERSONAL experience I've experienced improvements on depression after a month on Effexor 37.5mg, then upped to 150mg. It wasn't until my dose got to 300mg which I'm right now that I'm feel a lot less anxious and capable to try small talks, eye contacts, get to the social game without feeling awkward and inept. Don't know how I'm going to come off this, maybe I won't.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I see a lot of people complaining about the withdrawal of this drug or side effects. I hope this drug never gets discontinued. This drug is the only thing (besides benzos, but try get prescribed that these days..)that has ever helped me with my major depression, social anxiety, and panic attacks. This drug is not meant for everyone .. if you have slight anxiety or depression you should not be on this drug.. yes the withdrawal is bad but for some people with severe issues we NEED this to function in society or until we are stable enough through therapy to get off. This is the only drug that works for some people like me with severe anxiety issues”

Salam Esapzo March 3, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I had anxiety for 20 years and didn't really know the reason for it. I moulded my miserable life around my anxiety demands and tried my best to change things but all gone vain. It was one good day that I saw neuro surgeon about another issue who prescribed me effexor alongnwith other medicines. While I was searching the uses and dosages of the medicines the word "Social Anxiety Disorder", for the first time, came in my knowledge. I was amazed that all symptoms and behavioral pattern that were described in this context were almost identical with my situation. I am on effexor for six months and things are altogether changed. My relations with family, workplace, friends are quickly restored. I am very happy and really enjoying my life now. The side effects are far less important then the major damages that the disorder itself creates. Effexor works like magic spell and within days it change the life and lifestyle.”

Dolly :D · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I was a walking mess, until I got introduce to this miracle pill. I started off with 75 mg. My doctor notice a little difference in my speech and personality in general, so he upgrade to 2 pills of 75 mg. So now I'm up to 250 mg. a day...I'm doing very good. .love the ppl. who invented this medicine, btw I'm taking it with clonazepam 0.5 mg 3 times a day, I also have p.t.s.d, I'm doing amazingly gr8. Thank you Jesus #Amen God is good. ..Good luck with your struggles. .”

Shari lee March 11, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I'm taking 75 mg Effexor XR and my life is changing for the better. I no longer feel stress when I'm around people. Socializing is not such an ordeal anymore. My social anxiety started when I was 12. Wish Effexor was around back then. Hope Effexor helps everyone. First 10 days are not easy: anxiety , teeth clenching , nausea and diarrhea.. hang in there and give it time to work.”

Xhaust · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “After years of Social Anxiety/Panic attacks I had to sort myself out. I did some research into SNRIs/SSRIs and like many, was fearful of the side effects described by others and how bad it made people feel. I went to the GP who prescribed Venlafaxine/Effexor. The first few weeks I felt a little nausea, increased anxiety/panic attacks, delay in ejaculation. It never felt unmanageable. After 6 weeks all had gone. I feel 80% less anxious in social/all situations, I feel calm and very much unphased by most things. I feel more confident, my mind is clearer and it is physically impossible to dwell on negative thoughts. Haven't had a panic attack! Everyone reacts differently. I believed it a risk worth taking and I feel it has paid off!”

Nickz88 January 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I've struggled with GAD, social anxiety, depression issues since I was 15. Lets just say I get easily nervous. I am now 27 as I type this ,and let me just say I've tried every single antidepressant out there. This one has really worked for me it boosted my mood. I'm more social. I don't do anything socially awkward around new people anymore. And I keep losing a lot of weight even though I'm very active. So that's a plus!”

Jamie in Seattle August 28, 2017

“I was always kind of a nervous person but was able to deal with it. But as I got older (40's) it began to impact me more and more. Soon I found myself avoiding most human interactions. Couldn't stand in line, get on the bus, get my hair cut, meet people. While attempting to do these things I would sweat, my brain would lock up, I would turn red, my breathing became rapid, I just needed to escape immediately. Just a complete mess. If any interaction could not be completed in five seconds I would not do it. Couldn't even visit my Doctor because of the waiting room. But now on Effexor I feel SO much better. Been about a year, but the results came after about a month. Feel what I imagine normal is. Changed my life.”

Laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I started on Effexor four weeks ago at 37.5mg for a week and was advised to increase to 75mg. My initial side effects for the first three days were excessive fatigue, I think I slept for two days straight. I also had nausea and sweating. After four days the side effects stopped except the nausea still continues. My overall mental health is a lot better. I am calmer, less stressed, and able to concentrate better. I have also lost 6kg since starting the medication. So far I'm happy on it, the nausea is slowly subsiding but is still there.”

Mcook698 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

“This medication has completely changed my life. I have had severe social anxiety for most of my life. I’ve been taking 75 mg for about a month and a half. I’ve started doing things that I NEVER would have done before taking this medication. Experienced a loss of appetite when first starting out, but has since then returned. Couldn’t be happier!”

anonymous_young_male · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Effexor sustained release has helped me overcome most of my depression, however, it has not helped me overcome my social anxiety or general anxiety symptoms. I am currently taking 112.5mg and have been for the past week, however, before that I was taking 75mg for 2 weeks. I will talk to my doctor about increasing the dosage; maybe this will help with the anxiety part. Side effects for me have been dry mouth; not much to complain about. That being said, it has helped me a lot more than Paxil ever did.”

R0cKr0bsta · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2019

“I have been on this med venlafaxine for over 10 years. The first week every thing that I was taking the drug to cure - was heightened x10. I couldn't look my father in the eyes and I was for the most part barricaded up in my room. I toughed through it and was giving it a month for my body to accept it. Boy am I glad I did. I have a very colorful personality so it didn't turn me into a zombie by any means but put me back down to earth. I could focus outward rather then inward when around people. For the first time I could be my self for once. The withdrawals are terrible so if you choose to take this drug makes sure you are strict on the time and frequency. When off these I would get these brain rushes every 5 minutes, greatly increased emotions, and I always wanted to eat. My sex drive and ejaculation is nearly nonexistent when on the drug though but the positive effects make the side effects very minimal for me.”

46anxietymom · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I have been on Effexor XR for 2 days now for anxiety panic agoraphobia. So far not to bad. Not to many side affects. Tired and a bit fuzzy but I hope this medicine is as good as everyone has said. I just want my life back.”

Anonymous September 18, 2009

“I've been on this for about 6 months now. I usually get really tense being in stores or in public for that matter. Now I can go out and play ball with my son at the park, go into any store and be relaxed and so far there's been not one side effect. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.”

R.carpenter January 28, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Started out taking 75mg. at night and could not sleep at all. Taking 37.5mg now in the morning and still am dealing with being very jittery at night when trying to relax or sleep. On the positive side this has been a great in dealing with past negative issues and moving past them. Also much more relaxed in social situations and a much more positive attitude about life in general. Every day more confident and things seem a little better”

indigogirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I was started on 37.5 then moved up to 75mg then 150mg I always had brain zaps when it was just about time to take my next dose, I also got hives when I started this drug which I thought was bug bites. I got really red-faced and flushed and got dizzy and nauseous on a continued basis. This drug may work for others but not for me. I anxiety all the time. Now I am going off of it. I was on it for 1.5 years. It has been living hell. Very bad brain zaps, non stop crying, dizziness. very unfocused. I have had to take off three months from work because of this drug. I am feeling so sick right now. Best of Luck to those who take this. They have banned the non Extended Release in Canada so they need to take this off the market here too. It also made my heart rate go to 190bpm and had to go to the ER and given two IV treatments to slow it down. Don't take this with clarithromycin or Biaxin it can cause heart issues.”

experimenter July 26, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Starting this medication as of July 26 and I will share the side effects and symptoms of the medication in the next 2 weeks to come. If it is a good experience I will continue treatment and so on. If it is a bad experience will discontinue treatment. So in the next couple days will post my side effects and symptoms.”

Hankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk November 2, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “The first two months of Effexor Xr 37 mg were great, I felt good. But that apparently is just the start up. The first couple days of taking it I felt an awesome euphoria and a high like I was on cocaine. I was a little restless, had a hard time getting to sleep, had diarrhea . The doctor bumped me up to 75 mg one week ago, the first day was awesome I felt like I was on cocaine again. after that first day I felt nothing other than an overbearing fact that I wanted to get off of the shit. I feel like complete trash. I feel emotionless but reaally down I don't know if I can make it another week on this medication . I've been on 4medications and none of them have help so far. This was my last hope for medication”

Wolverine · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “I've been taking 150mg of Effexor for 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago I was super depressed and afraid of everything. My symptoms are decreasing. Nothing for social anxiety so far. I suffer from severe generalised social anxiety. I'm hoping in the months to come. It may be a miracle drug for me. I've read so many good reviews on this drug for this debilitating disorder.”

MMDandANXIETY · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

“Effexor RX has changed my life. I have had constant adrenaline and anxiety all day everyday. I couldn't make eye contact. I was chemically depressed for years. No memory, slow speech. Skin numb, no emotions, no goals. 75mg of Effexor and I can make small talk, I like people, I am starting to look forward to each day. Side effects: higher blood pressure, frequent urination, thirst, and it messed with my thyroid getting on it. (Go gradually on and taper off when changing dosages). Hoard extras to make sure you do not experience rapid withdrawal if for some reason you can't get any.”

Barry October 22, 2019

“I have been on Effexor for some years and for me Effexor is a more tolerable medication than many other SNRIs and SSRIs. I suffer from social anxiety, and this medication, especially at higher doses (>225mg/day), helps me function more comfortably in social settings. I feel more relaxed, less self-conscious, and generally more able to communicate comfortably with others. I don’t experience many side effects which is a blessing. If you suffer from Social Anxiety, Effexor many help your symptoms like it has mine.”

Learn more about Social Anxiety Disorder