User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

"I really want to get off this drug I never get headaches but since taking this drug I have been getting them, severe heartburn and nausea, overall feeling really bad every day. Had the worst anxiety attack I have ever had scared the hell out of me. I have never felt so hopeless, worst drug I have ever used never again."

Anonymous January 9, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I just starting taking it about a month ago. I have all of the common side effects. My only concerning side effect is decreased urination and anorgasma. I am a female. Has any one else experienced this?"

Musbjeli (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

"I have been on and off this med 3 times this year. There is just nothing else that works as good as this med does for me. I've tried sertraline 25mg, bupropion 75mg, bupropion SR 75mg and fluoxetine 20mg, but those had no positive outcome like venlafaxine. I was taking 75mg for 3 months on 2 separate occasions and goodness this med kept my mood on the bright side despite any stressors thrown at me this year. I've recently gone back down to 37.5mg a day because after a while this med did seem to make me forget to take it at times and it also left me emotionless. I wasn't depressed anymore, but I couldn't feel happy for all of the little things either. I was just too "chill," too content. this med turned my life around! God bless!!"

Badcompany (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was interestingly paradoxical for me. While it was rather effective in treating the ailments as it was advertised to, it failed in another, very important area. Withdrawal from the medication needs to be undertaken over a period of several weeks gradually weaning the patient off the medication and supplementing with short term additional medications. While the medication is effective I would personally recommend drugs that affect GABA (i.e. Xanax, Clonazepam, Valium) to help the patient when stopping medication and also to keep in reserve in case of a shortage or stoppage of the medication. Please be careful with this drug. There are other drugs, and isomers, that are safe and effective as well."

Silent Harambe December 15, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Been on Effexor for fourteen years. It makes Ocd worse and PTSD worse and my depression worse. I don't care what these negative reviews say, I am switching from this crap drug to another antidepressant. I feel fourteen years of my life have been ruined and I was lied to by the medical profession, they never told me how terrible this drug was and how it makes paranoia and OCD and PTSD worse. Oh and I can't eat oats or wheat or cheese or margarine or butter as it gives me drowsiness and unbeatable tiredness.Effexor should be banned, its ruined my life and I can't wait to come off it and go on another drug."

Hildaream (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

"Ok I'm 51 yrs female. Suffered along thru life with anxiety. When younger it was manageable. Until the last 5 years after loss and my fair share of medical issues leaving me overcome with severe anxiety and depression. Fast forward today my physian petscribed Effexor 25mg. In the past 5 years have tried others with side effects. I'm only on day 5 and feeling so tired and have mild diareeha and some little anxious feeling. The tiredness is profound. Will update in a week."

Shooky December 3, 2016

"Venlafaxine is great! I have been on it for 3 years with good help for my depression and anxiety. Sometimes it makes me a bit jumpy, but not often. The hardest part is finding the right dose. I am now of 250mg in 3 doses and it works great. I need more in the winter and roughly 175mg in the spring and summer. Can't say enough good things, I have a better outlook and interested in living life. Hope this helps."

Will219 December 1, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Please please please.......If your doctor suggests this drug to you, do your research. I am 18 and just put full trust in my doctor when she told me to take it. 7 months later and I wish I never ever took it. I usually take my 150mg dose when I wake up in the morning and now I cannot even go until 11 pm at night if I forget to take it without having withdrawals. I experience nausea and feel uneasy on my feet as well as shakiness. It is ridiculous and I write this to stress that this is not a light topic. BE CAREFUL!!!!!"

Hayleyc111 November 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor following an unexpected divorce that left me feeling a significant grief and anxiety for my children's future. I never had suicidal thoughts before, during or after taking this drug. I took it for 2 years and I don't know if it helped me, or if it was the meditation (Qigong) or acceptance and reflection. Some side effects included increased libido, occasional little spasms of the diaphragm muscle (at the base of the lungs), and strange and vivid dreams. Missing only one dose sent me into what is known as "brain zaps", and feels just like electrical zaps in the brain, together with sensory dissociation. This is the main reason I was afraid to stop taking it."

Le Pierrot November 28, 2016

"I always read reviews about meds but never share my expierence. SO, I am 22 years old and have always struggled with depression and anxiety, but this past May (May of 2016) I ended up admitted myself to an in-patient psychiatric ward due to suicidal thoughts which led me to cutting myself for the first time in my life. The psychiatrist decided to put me on venlafaxine 75 mg 1x a day.. The only side effects I had was dry mouth, minor insomnia, and a little weigh gain; besides that, I have not experienced any horrible side effects like I have with so many other medications. I take venlafaxine for depression and generalized anxiety. I take 75mg 2x a day now and I am calm, collected, and happier than ever. I plan to stay on this forever."

Krihorva2 November 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with depression and anxiety in 2001 at the age of 34...it took a couple of years for my psychiatrist to find the right combination of drug therapy that would work for me.....I take 40mg of prozac daily all year...seasonally in the fall and winter effexor xr is added to stabelize my depression..starting with 37.5mg and titrated up to 75mg twice a day until spring gets close and like all creatures I am ready to enjoy the sunshine again and it is titrated back down over 3 weeks and stopped ...this has worked very well for me along with a low dose of xanax bid prn..."

trippsnannie November 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If you are thinking about taking this, do not do it. Ask your doctor for something else, anything else. Effexor is horrible. I was put on it due to Depression and Generalised Anxiety. Within the first few weeks I was emotionally numb, I wasn't sad anymore but I couldn't feel happiness. Six months later, while still on this I became suicidal and self harming, my heart rate started increasing due to my anxiety to the point where I was hospitalised. After that it was decided I was so come off it, now coming off it is even worse then being on it, shaking, dizziness, headaches, puking, sweating. I've only been off it a week and already I can feel my mental health calming down. Avoid this drug. Please. For your own safety."

ErinShannon November 22, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible experience with this drug. It has a very short half life, so you must take it at the exact same time every day or you will become extremely nauseated. Then you have to wean yourself off of it. It was a nightmare. I now take 100 mg of Zoloft each day and that is perfect."

Texasteacher63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was one Effexor for almost 4 weeks to treat dissociation/derealization that was caused from too high of dosages of Zoloft and Celexa. I went from 12.5mg twice a day to 37.5mg twice a day over 3 weeks. I had horrible headaches and blurry vision the entire time. By the third week, the dissociation was MOSTLY gone, but then I was having random panic episodes where I thought I was losing my mind and just didn't want to live anymore. The psychiatrist thought the extended release would ease that symptom, and it made it worse. I went from not wanting to live with dissociation, to not wanting to live at all. I've been tapering off over the past few days, and I was awaken at 5am this morning with HORRIBLE anxiety and suicidal thoughts, and my husband tried calming me down but I barely felt like I knew or recognized him. Both my psychologist and the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic agreed I need to stop taking it immediately (take 1/2 of 25mg if I experience "brain zaps" or any horrible side effects) but this medication is NOT for me, and they're thinking no SSRI or SSNI chemically reacts well with me after trying 3 and having worse side effects than what I was taking it for. I haven't been out to eat with my husband in 4 months. Everything in the world now looks different, and I still have anxiety and blurry vision, and as this medication leaves my system in the next few days, I pray my mind will get back to the way it was 4 months ago. Thank you and I hope everyone going through anything horrible with Effexor finds relief soon."

KE1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"Well I began the regular rx of Pristique as samples, seemed to work great, went to fill the rx and insurance wouldn't covered it. So I guess venlafaxine is generic for this, however it is not at all like Pristque. For a week and a half I had horrible I mean horrible nausea & vomiting.... I tried to stick it out but I couldn't. In addition I also had chronic heat sweats/feeling flushed & dozzy, diarrhea, and bad headaches! Wait lets not forget, the libido was there, but all sensativity etc was gone out the window and ran down the street! This stuff was brutal & I was miserable, I couldn't wait for the Doc to say I could quit.... I just quit cold turkey cause anything would be better than that. Definitely not a fan of these meds!"

Mojo1 November 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I experienced increasing blood pressure with increasing dosage, an immediate and drastic decreased libido compared with being on Zoloft, weight gain increased with increasing dosage, and worst of all was almost dying when I decreased the dose. I had dizzy spells with shortness of breath after weaning from 225mg down to 150mg despite gradual dose reduction. Once I got to approximately 187.5mg over the course of two weeks I read recommendations to cut 37.5mg at a time and went to 150mg. I experienced near syncope multiple times, heart rhythm abnormalities with pulse varying at rest from 67 to 105, and shortness of breath. pulse oximeter indicated drop to 85% sats and no pulse."

Frayed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR saved my life! I had severe clinical depression for one year, and my doctor tried 8 different antidepressants on me, all to no avail. I sought the help of a psychopharmacologist in Palo Alto, Ca. He met with me for 90 minutes, did an evaluation, and prescribed Effexor XR for me. He stairstepped me up to 300mg/day within 12 days, and within 2 weeks I felt like my old self again. It felt miraculous. I may be on it for the rest of my life, but I don't mind one bit. I am enjoying life again!"

Fognurse November 6, 2016

"I started taking venlaflaxine for anxiety many years ago. I've been absolutely fine and they've helped a lot in reducing my anxiety. Only recently they've changed them (different colour) and since then i've had an upset stomach. I haven't changed anything else so i'm thinking it must be the new tablets. I'll carry on taking them for a bit and see what happens."

Lijluva November 4, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking Effexor for 5 months now and I can say it definitely has worked for me. It can take time to actually start working though so give it some time. The only downfall is if I forget to take it for a day, I start getting dizzy, brain zaps, and headaches. I am now waiting to refill it and haven't taken it for about a week and the symptoms are still occurring. Even with that said, I would recommend this medicine for depression/anxiety. I no longer cry all the time for no reason. Definitely has changed my life (:"

Tay_marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My experience with Effexor was abnormal but still scary. My psychiatrist prescribed me 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. After a few days of taking it, I had a decrease in appetite, nausea, upset stomach, and some dizziness but I was told that was normal. However, after a week, I felt as though I had no more emotions. My memory became terrible and I felt emotionally dead inside l. Some moments I couldn't get out of bed and others, I couldn't sit still. After two weeks, she increased my dose to 75 mg. Within two hours of taking that dose, I was rushed to the ER because of intense stomach upset, diahrrea and dangerously low blood pressure whenever I stood or sat up. After the ER, I quit cold turkey and had withdrawal symptoms for only a week."

Piri (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016