User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took effexor for almost 7 years, the worst years of my life. I was angry and furious all the time, my anxiety was horrible and I cannot say it helps with the depression. I realised that effexor change my pesonality when I stop to take it and some how I was back to normal, except that my memory was very poor. To avoid the withdrawal my family doctor put my on cipralex, which give me palpitations, and after Zoloft that did nothing to me, remeron which worked for 3 months (helped me enormous with my insomnia) and after no more benefits and 10 kg more, water retention , I tried for 1 week Prozac and I woke up in a full panic attack at 4 o clock in the morning, horrible. Now I am taking only clonazepam as needed 0.5mg and is working like a charm"

Lilly from Montreal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So I have OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Possible ADD and I have been on many different medications for the past ten years and this medication has relieved my symptoms. Before taking this medication I was takin Luvox 300mg and Valium as needed. Before that I was taking all sorts, up to 5 different ones at a time including Seroquel which put in weight. I now feel more cheerful, not depressed, less obsessive thoughts, less anxiety and can concentrate better. I now feel I can do more in my life. I am also less moody. I am currently taking Efexor XR 150mg."

Cammando (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at 29 years old and was prescribed Effexor 37.5 mg. I stuck with the medication as I felt that any thing was better than what I was going through at the time. Eventually I found a good level dosage for me was 150 mg and have been on them for the last 6 years. I can say that Effexor has been a success for me. I wished that I was able to diagnose when I was even younger as my life would probably have swerved some bad life experiences. Now I am 36 with three kids and life is so amazing. I have still had some rough roads but the way I am able to process and handle them now vs before is a lot more efficient. I have not had a panic attack or a dip in my depression in 6 years. Life is good. Good is Great"

Izzye (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Left me with Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.. a year and a half passed by without significant improvement. I had been using 75 mg for less than a year. I recommend you to never take a SSRI."

Jean-Raphael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor XR for 17 years now. I take 150mg once a day. My biggest negative side effect is extreme, excessive sweating. I tried going off it earlier this year because I was fed up with this issue and thinking that maybe I really didn't need it any longer. Bad mistake. Within 2 month's I was back at my Doctors a mental mess and was put back on it. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Does anyone else have a issue like this while taking this med? It can be very embarrassing and makes me very self conscious."

Lahursey July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started Effexor 75XR today. I've read the reviews and choose to look at the positive reviews as I have had Anxiety most of my life and experiencing depression due to long term horrible marriage and divorce. I had been taking Valium but don't like that its addictive and the generics are not effective. I simply want to be my happy self and alter the depressive rut I've fallen into. My first bottle is generic and I've applied for a drug card for Brand from manufacturer. Took a few hours ago with breakfast, I expect good results. I want to be happy again and I believe this is half the battle."

SusanW50 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Venlafaxine/Effexor for 6 months during my senior year in college. I was having trouble with anxiety and depression and didn't think I could make it through. After a few weeks on this medicine, I noticed I was not as irritable. Things didn't bother me so much anymore. I felt comfortable enough to participate in class occasionally. I didn't feel as miserable. There were definitely side effects though. I had weird, vivid, bad dreams many nights. Sometimes I would have uncomfortable night sweats. It was very difficult to orgasm, on some occasions I felt too numb and gave up. I found it hard to cry, even though I felt sad. Despite these discomforts, Venlafaxine got me through my final, and most difficult year of college. I'd recommend."

adventurer93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have tried every SSRI except luvox and this is the only one that did anything. However it takes at least a month to work. However I went out of country and had my carotid veins widened and this extra blood flow has taken away all mental health issues or need for drugs..."

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried just about everything for depression and venlafaxine was one of the only drugs to help. I was so depressed that I jumped off a building for a suicide attempt. I wound up paralyzed in a wheelchair. Venlafaxine took a while to work about 3 moths or so. I first took 75mg but didn't do much. It wasn't until I reached 375mg that I felt the true effects of the drug. Very very strong antidepressant effects. My mind is clear and I'm feeling a warm glow all day. My depression so anxiety are gone even though I'm paraplegic I am happy. Wish they gave this drug to me a long time ago I would not be In a wheelchair. You have to really be patient and find the right dose abs then one day you'll wake up and feel great."

Kris74420 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT TAKE!!! THIS MEDICATION RUINED MY LIFE IN THE SPACE OF A MONTH! It made me more depressed, agitated, irritable, lose my appetite, anxious beyond belief.... and that's only on the lowest dose! I cannot believe, in all my experience with depression, that an 'antidepressant' can make someone feel so depressed."

Charlie2501 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Prystiq for about 8 months, but I thought my mood swings, irritability, paranoid thoughts, anxiousness, etc, were a thing of the past. Also, Prystiq is an expensive drug that is not covered by my pharmacy coverage. So, I quit cold turkey. Brain zaps, zombie mode, feeling horrible were all part of what I endured, but the symptoms quickly subsided. What came back a month after stopping Prystiq was the little dark cloud and all over the other things that I thought were in my past. I was having difficult coping. Now, I am on day two of effexor (which costs pennies on the dollar as compared to Prystiq). The nausea is intense but I know that if I stick with it the results will be all for the best."

Jlove65 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Venlafaxine 75mg SR 6 months ago. After about 3 weeks I went up to 150mg After a few of weeks of dilated pupils, headaches, insomnia, dizziness & no appetite, I definitely felt better - no more negative thought patterns & meltdowns if things went wrong or work was stressful. It did take me about 4 months for things to settle down & I am now very level & happy. My only advice would be to try really hard to persist with this (or any) new medication, the side effects DO subside & eventually should go away as long as you take the medicine exactly as prescribed & don't forget it or run out. Obviously some people have more tolerance for side effects but my GP was very supportive & caring & I am now a much happier & contented person."

Elsiesmum (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this by my doctor. I took one pill at night and had the most horrible side effects. I thought I had the flu. My whole body hurt all over. I had fluttering in my chest. I had a headache and heartburn, nausea, could not eat. Was so tired could not do a thing for 2 days these side effects went on. Did not take anymore than the one pill and said that was it for me. This is horrible feelings in the world the meds are not for me and I was on the lowest dose 37.5 so I was told. I still have a hangover from this one pill after 3 days off of it."

Horrible June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Ineffective for me. I had to stop taking it twice and the withdrawal was AWFUL! It was like what I would imagine heroin withdrawal from heroin. I highly suggest NO one use this drug for that reason."

ironyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "So this drug really helped with my depression but it also has some bad side effects. Please please please never skip a dose of this stuff. You will feel like absolute trash. As long as I take it every 24 hours it works perfectly for both my anxiety and depression but if I miss a dose, the side effects are awful. My whole body feels like white noise, my limbs buzz, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and can barely concentrate. Also, I don't know everyone else's experience with the medicine, but I used to be on the 150 mg dose and let me tell you. I couldn't orgasm no matter how much I wanted to and it sucked. I know it was the medicines fault cause when I lowered my dose to 75 mg I could orgasm again. The medicine ridiculously lowers my libido."

Sara726289 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I never had depression in my life. Then I went through a major depression episode 2 years ago. I tried 7 different antidepressants none worked some made me even worse my doctor decided efexor I was very reluctant after reading horror stories about coming off of Efexor well I'm happy to say it worked for year-and-a-half, it had made me better within two weeks of taking it however I started to experience depression while taking it I decided to wean myself off and had no problems coming off of it. I did it slowly and it's been a month with no side effects of coming off this drug saved me from the deep dark hell of depression. Every drug is different from everybody this drug work for me I only took it for a year-and-a-half 37.5 mg."

Trisha65 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This drug is heaven. I feel no side effects whatsoever. Just 37.5mg a day keeps my depression symptoms at bay. The only minor complaint is a lower sex drive, but that is a given side-effect with antidepressants in general."

Dancer563 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I just started taking Effexor xr a little over a month ago. I was extremely tired the whole month (nothing would help that either, I took a 5 hour energy and fell asleep right after) and last night was my first night where I felt like myself for the first time in a few years. I am hopeful that this lasts and the exhaustion goes away. I have a cough but it's only really bad at night and have a small cough in the morning. My cycle seems a little off, I had spotting and then nothing so I'm not sure what is happening with that but I read that's a possible side effect as well."

SeaMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I ran out of my medicine for about 5 days. I started getting these extremely strange noises in my head, something like the noise a squirrel makes or an electrical static noise. As soon as I started back on my pills it went away. Today I didn't take my medicine on time, 8 hours later I took it, but the noise reminded me. Someone please explain this to me."

Oolie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"There is a light at the end of tunnel. Have been taking Effexor XR 75 for almost 25 days. Initially felt miserable and had side effects (nausea, stomach upset and increased in anxiety). But today when I woke up I feel myself again, the real me - this drug has been a savior for me. Trust me this is awesome. Give it some time and it will give you your life back. I was really disappointed by taking Citalopram for almost 5 months it didn't get me feeling any better and even increased my anxiety but this drug is a miracle for me. Those thinking to quit, hang in there give it sometime and you will be back to normal :-)"

SajidAjmalKhawaja (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017