User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medication worked well while I was taking it. Under the supervision of my doctor, I have been slowly getting off of this medication. This has been the worst experience for me. Dizzy, headache, nausea, brain fog. I wish I would have never chosen to take this medication. I urge anyone looking to start this medication to talk with your doctor and try something else first. If you ever want to stop taking this medication it is a terribly uncomfortable process."

Dont take this med December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "If your not prescribed enough it makes your anxiety go through the roof"

JujjuJu December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After completely stopping my antidepressant and then making a disappointing career change, I slipped into a permanent state of anxiety. I couldn’t sleep, eat or function. Unfortunately there were not any reliable mental health resources available. I was not in the state of mind to make any decisions regarding my care and unfortunately all mind altering meds take time to work. My unbearable anxiety turned into the darkest depression I have ever experienced. I felt completely worthless, hopeless and suicidal. I would spend the days ruminating. The simplest of tasks felt like a marathon. I became afraid of everything with no explainable reason. The Effexor helped but it takes time. Be patient. Withdrawals are bad but I’m alive."

StephLTruj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking 75mg once per day, for 15 yrs. Has always worked well for me with no side effects but I would like to get off of it because........15 yrs! Do I still need it? But if I miss one dose, brain shocks like crazy. This is scary to me that it can do that. It makes me very nervous about even considering weaning off of it."

Dragonpen007 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking effexor XR for almost a year now! I suffered from post partum depression! I'm about to be 28 and had only taken an anti depressant back when I was 16 for less than a year. Negatives when starting effexor for me were insomnia and loss of appetite ! My doc prescribed me a low dose sleep aid and after 4 months of taking effexor I no longer needed the sleep aide! I'm currently on 75MGs and I'm productive, happy most days, and no more panic attacks that are unmanageable. I even gained my weight back !! This medication isn't for everyone but it worked for me! Negatives I still experience every now and then are rapid heart beat, hard to concentrate on one thing, and sometimes too much energy but can be levelled out with exercise!"

Stay at home mom December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works but you’ll get fat as hell. You can’t stop taking it due to the horrible withdrawal symptoms and sex drive will crash. Erections will be lousy too."

Charliepopo November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I suffer from severe anxiety & mild depression. I had no idea how this was ruining my life. I was so nervous to try medication but finally got the point that I was desperate. Tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin & Celexia. Felt awful or had such strong side effects that I couldn't continue them. Finally tried effexor at 37.5mg for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were absolute hell. So sick & emotions were all over the place. I was about to give up on it but my doctor suggested 75mg. Wow! What a difference. Still have the side effects (nausea, constipation, some dizziness, loss of appetite, brain fog) but hoping those go away as I'm only on week 3 now at new dosage. Mentally I'm already feeling better! Not sure how much for my anxiety but definitely for depression"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Excellent medication for my Panic disorder. You need to take it for 2 weeks before feeling any improvement, no real side effects, yawning and tiredness mainly."

Sorcia November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I’ve been dealing with a lot lately that is out of my control and have admittedly been depressed most of my life (I am 29 years old). A breakup reeked havoc on my mental health and I consulted a psychiatrist. Was prescribed generic 37.5mg for 2 weeks then was instructed to double dose. First pill took around 11am yesterday, by 2pm I was nauseous, dry heaving, had incredibly bad diarrhea, double vision, back pain, and was becoming very lethargic. My jaw was clenched most of the day and I was grinding my teeth all night. I didn’t sleep well, woke up pacicking and having racing thoughts. Doctor said to quit taking it. One pill was enough. Never again."

NeverAgainEffexor November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took it for 2 weeks. Started 75mg first week and went up to 150mg the second. Several days after I increased the dosage, I lost all sex potency and sex drive completely. I'm a 25 year old man and I was not able to orgasm at all. After I stopped I have VERY SEVERE withdrawal symptoms. I had to lose work for several days and was very close to being sent to a hospital. At NO POINT did my doctor warn me of any of these symptoms. It's very important to understand that this drug is that this drug CAN cause permanent damage and that it is highly addictive even after a short time. I'd rather take a bullet to my head than take this pill ever again."

tjw14 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Have taken 75 mg for about 2 years. Usually helpful but when I forget to take it at night the next day I am sobbing and I am today. This morning I took a double dose, hoping to cut short the crying sessions. I understand that Effexor ER has a short half life. Does this mean it catches up? I have had to take antipressants since age 27. I’m now 67. Guess now my dx is called MDD. I’ve tried to get off meds but the depression always returns. My brother thinks one can just get over it. But I realize it is inherited brain chemistry for my situation so the meds will always be necessary. Approaching holidays add to the challenge."

Pekemom (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was given this medicine for anxiety and depression, after a month of taking the 37.5mg this medicine has increased my symptoms of anxiety and depression substantially. Also since I have started taking this medication I have developed some new symptoms such as mania and hallucinations. The pains attacks associated with this medicine are horrifying as well. The most disturbing thing about the drug, to me, is the extremely lifelike and vivid dreams that make you believe you've been up all night but in reality you've been asleep, this makes waking up very difficult because it's hard to tell if you're awake or not. This is an extremely powerful drug, I would discuss other options with your doctor before trying Effexor XR"

Jrhill4463 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I first used Effexor XR 75 mg at the start of 2016 to treat depression/ anxiety. Side effects were things such as dry mouth, frequent urination, problems sleeping at night. After 2 weeks these reduced greatly and after a further 2 weeks my mood improved greatly and my anxiety reduced. My ongoing side effects were strange (not unpleasant) dreams and sometimes night sweats - neck and chest. I tapered off to 37.5 and then stopped October 2016. The withdrawals - head zaps in the main - lasted about a week and were not too bad. I stopped because I felt so much better. During mid 2017 I went down hill again and was back at the GP's sobbing my heart out and at home being a complete pain to my wife. I started 75mg again 4 weeks ago. Much better!"

SRH1957 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "At 75mg I did ok but was still depressed. If I miss a dose I get crying spells the next day (I take all my meds, 4, at night) at 150mg I started hearing things, unable to focus, and unable to hold urine - yes I learned that its a side effect. So am down to 75mg and am scared to change it but have expressed interest to my doctor. She added lithium and its helping (I also take tegretol and abilify) so overall, just do your own research before taking anything. Once you are on something you should NOT quit cold turkey."

JustMe83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took Effexor for the first and last time yesterday around 7:41 am . At first I couldn't feel my arms or face and then it felt like fire works were going off in my head . I yawned all day long and each time I did I felt like my own tongue was gagging me . The worst of it was around 3:45 am I woke up shaking uncontrollably falling over couldn't see straight it felt like I was being electrocuted it was to the point I either wanted to be knocked out or die . My husband found me shaking and rocking back and forth in our living room floor . This drug for me personally was horrific ."

Brit91 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've struggled with GAD since my late teens which worsened following a tragic and untimely death in the family..which also lead to PTSD I tried numerous anti depressants but most of them slowed me down I didn't want this. So many years ago maybe 12 years ago I was prescribed effexor since then my dose has gone up and down I'm now on 225mg daily I was able to come off them cold turkey for 3 pregnancies I can only suggest early pregnancy hormones took over as withdrawal effects were minimal. But in general withdrawal effects are horrendous if I miss a day or 2 as I've failed to collect them on time I have an upset stomach...sweating and termors...nightmares, feelings of terror, luckily they work fast! I'm a fan they help & make me feel normal"

Gemini81 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have used this drug for around 5 years now. I am ultra-sensitive to medication, so when I am stable (I am bipolar) I go down to 112.5mg and when depressed I go to 150mg. At these doses, I still get the side effects. And QUICK withdrawal if I miss my morning dose... ie by lunch time, I am nauseous and getting brain-shocks. Having been on some other types of antidepressants, I prefer this one as I have energy (despite drowsiness being a side-effect). I would not change my anti-depressant again."

NikNakNoNo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1 started taking 75mg a few days ago also I smoke weed as well for chronic back pain and previous anxiety... I haven't noticed to many negative side affects but my sex drive isn't as high but it all still works, I have noticed little positives here and there but it takes some of that dwelling it allows me to produce clear and concise arguments"

International postage (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been good for my work life, it has given me energy to get things done, and to not stress as much about anything, including social interactions. It sort of numbs my emotions which has been good because I usually cry easily, and get easily bitter. I don't get overIy happy tho. I also like how I don't feel like I'm on a drug, my mind isn't cloudy. I have trouble when it comes to working on projects at home, projects I used to work on so easily now stress me out just thinking about the process of it all. I have an unusually strong urge to bite my nails, crazy dreams (which is fine), lethargic. Appetite fine except when changing my dose."

Kae333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Worked quickly (or it was in my head), lots of yawning, by week 4 very drowsy in the morning on my 90 minute drive to work so started taking it after I got to work which is better for society in general. Sometimes restless sleep. Having said that, I had a lot negative thoughts about my life that I don't notice or dwell on now so I am really good with these minor side effects. I'm much happier, less irritable and family recognized it easily. I'm genuinely happy with it and thankfully no nasty side effects (thus far)."

Your Nickname October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Wow, is all I can say. Was hospitalized for extreme depression after trying to take my own life and all I can say is that this drug change my life. It has been one year on it and I am so much happier. I have no side effects from taking this plus I have so much more energy."

Bryan Of Canada September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Well where do I start? Middle aged mom of three and wife and a year ago it all went down hill. So I go to my doctor explain things and how I'm feeling and she prescribed me this medicine to me at 75mg a day then upped it to 150mg. The first few days I was so ill and sleepy I was passing out in the middle of sentences (eyes rolling back and body tremors) so I tried it for 6 months it really affected being able to orgasm which I didn't know it would do? So I started to ween myself off without doctors consent because its clearly NOT working to control my anxiety my mood swings or bringing a balance to my ADD/OCD. The nausea is horrible, the dreams are HORRIFIC I attacked my husband in my sleep and he had to pin me down. Don't take this medicine!"

L's Sunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am a woman nearing 40 who has dealt with a handful of health issues; Degenerative joint disease in both TMJ joints (20+ years), chronic migraines (20+ years), depression (20 years), and High blood pressure (6 years). I have been taking 250mg of Effexor for MANY years. Due to chronic pain my doc increased my dose to 300mg in spring. Since then my life has fallen to pieces. I have such terrible nightmares both at night and when I nap that I wake my entire 2 storey house. I have cold sweats and need to be woke up. I am usually in tears because as soon as I close my eyes I am right back in the nightmare. This goes on night after night. I am in a VICIOUS and scary cycle."

Screaming for help (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Overall, I had a positive experience with venlafaxine, but users need to be aware of how difficult it can be to quit. I was on 150mg for about 18 months - not very long - and when I wanted to come off of it, it was a very difficult experience. I still am weaning myself off grain by grain, because cold turkey is simply not an option. The main withdrawal symptom I experience is electric shock sensations in the brain. They even make a noise. I've heard that some people don't have as much of a problem with it, but I don't know how. In the beginning, I thought venlafaxine changed my life in a positive way, but over time it became somewhat less effective. It's an effective medication, but beware of the consequences. Took it with 60mg mirtazapine."

Roger333 September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017