User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor 37.5mg once daily since September 2006 mainly to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Depression. Effexor has worked great for both. I tried to get myself off of Effexor a few years ago & took St. John's Wort instead. I was lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms. However, the depression returned, which I couldn't handle and returned to Effexor. I did wean myself off it and had no withdrawal symptoms. Experts say if you get off it, have to return to it, it may not work again. That didn't happen with me. I just found that Effexor raised my blood pressure & cholesterol. I have to decide whether to stay on it and be sane & preserve my kidneys, or stop it & get depressed AGAIN. Conundrum."

GinaGirl (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg to me. I took one at 3:00p.m. and by 7:00p.m. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I actually was able to fall asleep but woke up several times during the night with horrible nausea, shaking, anxiety, weird dreams, and the a lot of gas! Thank goodness I had Zofran for nausea or I would have thrown up. I also had to take an Ativan for the anxiety and Imodium for diarrhea. It's now 5:00p.m. the next day and I'm just now feeling better. I know others who use Effexor and love it so it does work for some....just not for me. I called the doc and she quickly switched me to something else."

Peteywheat February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This drug is absolutely horrible. I was prescribed Effexor 75mg twice a day. After lunch day ONE I take my first dose. Needless to say the intense vomiting, pins and needles up my spine into the back of my head and fire burning sensation in my spine, blurred vision, severe tremors, seeing colors and spots all over the place, my eyes starting rolling to the back of my head, passing out. Almost landed me in the ER. Called my doctor and got switched off immediately. That was by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I have been on Celexa 40mg until it stopped working and now I am on Prozac. I clearly can't handle an SNRI like that. I felt like I was going to die. Be highly cautious. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

CatieL February 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am a 33 yr old woman with Anxiety, irritabilty, ocd . I have been on many different medications since i was 18. My new doctor finally sent me to a psychologist to see if effexor was the right drug for me after being on it for 18 months with some improvement but not great improvement. At the time I was on 75 mg a day. The psychologist upped my dosage to 200 mg a day. Since then I have had very slight anxiety, and only when even a normal person would have a panic attack. My OCD is manageable. And I no longer wish everyone dead. I have had 0 side effects what so ever. Only thing I have noticed is when i miss a couple days, (mom of 3 it happens), all my problems come back 100%. I never take my meds at the same time and have never had withdrawal."

Breeder (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug has been fantastic,I have been on and off certain anti depressants most my life (am 32) I would be fine for a while then things would get to much. My doctors have just put me on a higher dose of this and I am on 300mg a day I feel calmer and can think things through first, but there is a down side.. don't ever miss one. Before I was on my higher dose I was at 225mg a day and I missed a day and a half as had forgotten to get more and was waiting for my repeat prescription, thinking this would be ok, oh how wrong I was, it felt like everything was really loud and ppl were shouting as they were talking. I couldn't concentrate on a conversation one min I wanted to cry. In all a good medicine but don't miss any."

Kirst84 February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Had been taking Zoloft 50mg about a year, then when my life stress increased, it wasn't helping me cope well. Im also taking Generic Adderal 10mg 2x daily which helps more with mood, focus, and anxiety. Since generic effexor is working so well for my daughter, I had asked my Psychiatrist if I could try it. From day one it seemed like a miracle and for about half a year I felt pretty normal. Doc thought 75mg dose was too low, but once I went up in dose. I started the downward spiral of side effects. On day 3 now, taking zoloft 50mg again, per the doc, but feel horrible, physically and ever so crazy now and then. I'm older female and sure don't need this. Wouldn't suggest this med to anyone over 30 because it's so nasty to change from."

Crazydaisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Awful awful drug! I was put on this when I was 18 and was up to 150 mg for 7-8 months. If you literally took this med 5 min later than your scheduled time you would get withdrawal symptoms. The worst are what they call brain zaps which feels like your brain is getting electrocuted and the shocks travel all through your body to the tips of your toes and finger. I weened off and had these symptom for 4 months before they dissipated !! Also was on constant panic while weening off for weeks thinking I was dying. Never again"

Anonymous person January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on this medication for at least a year and a half. I started out with Celexa which at the highest dose completely stopped working for me, I was in a panic, cry for help. I became so much more depressed and my behaviors were so impulsive. My Dr started me of Effexor and what a difference this medication has made in my life. My mood became stable, I am no longer angry at the world, and l don't have the desire to go back to the way I was before Effexor. Remember everyone, we are all individualized, some things may with for others better than ourselves!"

AwesomeME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication has been life changing for me. Even after my first dose I was feeling like "me" again which I haven't felt like in 7 years. I'm much more calm and relaxed about life and when things happen I can deal with them in a positive manner. I will say the one downfall of this drug is the side effects if you miss even ONE dose. I've been on it for about 4 months now and I missed my first dose yesterday, which was my fault because I forgot the pharmacy closes early on Sunday's and was too late picking it up. "

BlytheMarie January 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Though the medication helped my depression, I (a 20 year old female) started having incredibly painful acid reflux and heartburn after just a month or 2 of taking it. The acid reflux has dissipated since switching to different medication, but I still have bouts of it from the harm it caused to my stomach. I had never experienced any type of heartburn or acid reflux before being prescribed this drug."

H369 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I read all the reviews and still thought I could beat the odds and it "might" work for me. The first day of taking it I was so shaky, nauseous, and it made me even more depressed than usual. I am not on any other meds so I figured I would try this first since my doctor just kept recommending it to me. NEVER AGAIN!!! Even if you think your that 1 in a million who won't get the side effects don't risk it!! There's so many others out there to try it's not even worth the one day of being suicidal and miserable"

Rje877 January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Have been taking this for over 5 yrs and have found it to be pretty good overall. Have had no side effects like the ones mentioned here by others so it's obviously very individual. Have noticed recently tho that its effectiveness has been waning so am now on Mirap to try to boost my depression am completely drowsy nearly all the time!?"

Dinnikins (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I really want to get off this drug I never get headaches but since taking this drug I have been getting them, severe heartburn and nausea, overall feeling really bad every day. Had the worst anxiety attack I have ever had scared the hell out of me. I have never felt so hopeless, worst drug I have ever used never again."

Anonymous January 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I just starting taking it about a month ago. I have all of the common side effects. My only concerning side effect is decreased urination and anorgasma. I am a female. Has any one else experienced this?"

Musbjeli (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on and off this med 3 times this year. There is just nothing else that works as good as this med does for me. I've tried sertraline 25mg, bupropion 75mg, bupropion SR 75mg and fluoxetine 20mg, but those had no positive outcome like venlafaxine. I was taking 75mg for 3 months on 2 separate occasions and goodness this med kept my mood on the bright side despite any stressors thrown at me this year. I've recently gone back down to 37.5mg a day because after a while this med did seem to make me forget to take it at times and it also left me emotionless. I wasn't depressed anymore, but I couldn't feel happy for all of the little things either. I was just too "chill," too content. this med turned my life around! God bless!!"

Badcompany (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was interestingly paradoxical for me. While it was rather effective in treating the ailments as it was advertised to, it failed in another, very important area. Withdrawal from the medication needs to be undertaken over a period of several weeks gradually weaning the patient off the medication and supplementing with short term additional medications. While the medication is effective I would personally recommend drugs that affect GABA (i.e. Xanax, Clonazepam, Valium) to help the patient when stopping medication and also to keep in reserve in case of a shortage or stoppage of the medication. Please be careful with this drug. There are other drugs, and isomers, that are safe and effective as well."

Silent Harambe December 15, 2016