User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken Effexor XR for almost 5 years. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I take 150mg in the morning. I don’t forget to take it because if I don’t take it in the morning I start having withdrawal symptoms by 4pm. My lips get numb and vertigo starts. The longer I wait the worst it gets. I really had to discipline myself to take it routinely because forgetting enough times is hell so generally I never miss a dose. However a few times a year it happens and I remember. Overall it’s the first drug I’ve stayed on because if I forget it reminds me with the withdrawal symptoms. Generally I feel very happy and able to deal with life. I’ve put my life back together after my trauma and feel empowered. I’ve set some great future goals and a timeline. There is nothing I can’t work at."

Sharky6789 April 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Fantastic medication. At 75 mg, it brought me out of an intractable major depressive episode and reduced the anxiety that had been eviscerating me for months. I went up to 150 mg - which did make me hypomanic and caused rapid-cycling, but I wouldn't have known I had Bipolar II otherwise. Currently using in conjunction with Lamictal and seeing great results. I am calm, have motivation, sleep well, and have hope for the future. Side effects: Night sweats and slightly fragmented sleep when raising dose; abated after 3-4 days. Ongoing constipation - extra fiber helps. Make sure to take on time; I have panic attacks the next day if I'm 6+ hours late. It's a bear to lower your dose, but taking out a grain at a time from the capsule takes care of the bad effects ;) Highly effective medication if it works with your unique physiology! I'm a physically healthy 24-year-old female."

Potato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Great medicine, no real side effects. Took about 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in. Used it for roughly 18 months than tapered off. Have, luckily been “depression free” for a number of years now but, if it started flaring up again I would be back to my Doctor in a New York minute to re-up the prescription for Effexor XR. Made me feel like a human being again."

The Pumpkin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

"Well. I started on 75mg a day of venzip XL. They elevated my depression hole I was in. My brain did feel doped up for the 1st week, had headaches and took a couple of hours each night to get to sleep. So I decided to stop taking them. I had the best 2 nights sleep after that I have ever had. Just got my National Nealth Service CBT therapy session a week into taking tablets and she suggested taking 1 every other day. So only 2 weeks into my tablets they are stabilising. Not as much headaches, not feeling too doped up and still can't fall asleep though I'm waiting for an appointment to see my gp for a follow up on them. Having problem trying to see same doctor as he's a fill in. Hope my suggestion help other. All I say is stick at them Start on a very low dosage and increase amount slowly. Best of luck."

Adrienne (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

"I take 75mg Effexor XR and 3mg Vraylar for treatment-resistant depression. I used to be on higher doses of Effexor, but I don’t feel I need to be with the Vraylar. The combination is highly effective. I am pretty much without my depression at this time. I also have almost zero side effects. I highly recommend this drug combination if antidepressants alone are insufficient."

SonnyJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I’ve been on Effexor for 5 months, and I’ve gone from off the charts depressed and anxious to happy and productive. I tried an anxiolytic briefly the first week I started the Effexor but didn’t like it, so quit, but I’ve found that my negative internal narrative has improved drastically on the Effexor which has helped my anxiety significantly as well. My family and friends have noticed a huge difference in my mood and energy level. I was increased to 112.5mg daily over the winter for relapse in some depressive symptoms and just decreased to 75mg daily - having some side effects of sleep interruption with the dose titration but otherwise so far so good. My sleep was always interrupted titrating up as well, which always improved with time. My only complaint is that my sex drive decreased for a while upon starting the drug, and even though I now have it back, it’s still more difficult to orgasm. This side effect is improving over time as well, but it’s an annoyance for sure."

NurseJenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was put on Effexor after hallucinating on Prozac. What a relief. It worked for a good 14-15 Years, till it turns on you. Just starts out as a migraine or a click in your knee, then the shoulder, and then the unsteadiness and loss of coordination. Then the brain zaps that keep you from relaxing. The Doctors would not say "It's the Med." So I called the FDA. Hey, I am waking with brain Zaps, and blood on my pillow from a bloody nose. I also am too weak to get up, have muscle spasms, have slurred speech and am confused. FDA.. Call your Doctor.. Called. Doctor... "Cant be the Efforex XR. " rubbish! Went to Pharmacy, asked the Pharmacist who said get off this one.. "Effexor XR" This is the cause of your problems."

Ah Poop (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

"I was on fluoxetine for years it but felt it wasn’t giving me full effect anymore. He suggested Venlafaxine, said it was best thing sliced bread. I hate it! I’ve been taking it for almost 2 years, 300mg a day. Worst thing I’ve ever done. So many side effects for months, ended up off work for 6 months. If I forget to take one dose It makes me feel awful, brain snaps, anger, panicky and want to physically hurt myself. I know it is really difficult to come off so now feel completely trapped on it. If I try to come off it it the process will put such a strain on my family that I don’t think my marriage would survive and I can’t afford to be off work anymore. Please think twice about trying this medication!"

Jodes (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Had no effect at all"

SuzzyQ (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for nine months for my severe anxiety disorder. I was having trouble controlling my emotions so the dr upped the dose. I started off at 37.5 and then increased to 75 mg. I was still having emotional issues so it was upped to 225mg. The symptoms just got worse! I had so many things that this med caused that I lost my job! I went to the dr and started getting off the Effexor. I feel like myself again ! No more feelings of suicide, crying all day, feeling like I was in the way and worthless, having urinary problems and always being tired. I had no idea it was the meds! I basically suffered for nothing! Please be aware of the side effects ."

Tam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

"I've been on this drug since may June 2017 for depression 37.5mg twice a day. I must admit the first tablet I took I had blurred vision very frightened my head was on another planet and I couldn't stop shaking but after a few days that all stopped it has helped me 100% apart from no appetite I've lost 4 stone it has gave me my life back I feel great I've started the gym I'm loving life best drug out for depression"

Suzzy bear February 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on effexor for almost 20 years.. I would cry and pray for the right drug for 6 months and had lost 100 pounds down to 80 pounds. Then I came across Effexor "

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have had anxiety my entire life, and about a dozen depressive episodes. SSRI's have always seemed to help me in the past, but not long-term. After experiencing a severe depression a year and a half ago, my doctor started me on 75mg of Effexor XR for one week, then 150mg thereafter. This drug has been a wonderful treatment for me. I don't recall any horrible side effects, perhaps because I needed help so badly that I was willing to tolerate most anything. I truly have never felt as calm as I do now! No medication is perfect, and it sounds like some people have not tolerated this medication well. For me, it helped me get my life back."

Versailles (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018

"I first took Effexor during my senior year of high school. I had tried Wellbutrin, but hadn't experienced any effects except for nausea. After a few weeks of taking Effexor, I felt markedly happier with much more energy. I've since gone off and back on several times. Generally, 75 mg works for me, but I was taking 150 mg at one point. This drug has changed my life. When I start to notice suicidal/negative thoughts, I immediately fill my prescription for 37.5 and start transitioning to 75 if it still doesn't work a month later. You definitely need to give it time, but this drug has been a miracle for me. The only adverse side effect I've experienced is an increase in the amount I sweat (but I sweat quite a bit normally). Sometimes it does make me feel a bit manic when I first start, but the effects quickly wear out. Definitely give this drug a try!"

Maggs1759 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

"So I've been on 75 mg for 3 weeks. I love it. I'm relaxed and feel better than I have in a long time. The crying spells have ceased completely. I have clarity of mind and I lost 6 pounds. This drug has decreased my appetite big-time. I was supposed to increase my dosage after the first week but didn't because as good as I feel, this drug has also made me fatigued. I am sleepy and tired all the time. I can't imagine taking a higher dose to 150mg and functioning. Also, practically zero libido. I have found that those few pounds lost are creeping back up simply because I've become so sedentary. I love this medicine but not sure how long I can be on it. The lethargy is a big concern."

Sandy M. February 12, 2018

"I was skeptic about this drug for the first four weeks or so, because I started at 37.5mg (ER) a day, and eventually I was moved to 75mg daily. About four weeks after 75mg daily, I noticed my depressive symptoms were relieved so much. Venlafaxine is so effective for depression I would strongly recommend this medication to people who don’t respond well to SSRIs, or even try this one first. It saved my life."

ow7en (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I'm a 43 year old man going through a painful divorce. Until I started on Effexor (75mg) last week, I couldn't sleep at night, was obsessing over my ex, feeling ABSOLUTE despair and hopelessness with bouts of furious rage. I was a wreck. Now all those symptoms are gone... But so is everything else! I am currently unemployed, and HAD been hustling like crazy to find a new job, but since Effexor, my MOTIVATION is completely GONE-- I have zero sense of urgency, when I know that I should be freaking out a little because I have bills to pay and I NEED a job. I binged 3 hours of Netflix in the middle of the day for no reason!! I've never been a procrastinator-- but that's all I'm about all of a sudden, and I could not care less! I was on Effexor years ago for my quick temper and depression, but went off it after two years because the apathy came to be too much. Looks like I am going to have to do it again-- because I need my hustle back!!!"

JRNyc (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "One of the few antidepressant that have not caused me to put on weight. Works reasonably well for depression and somewhat less well for anxiety. I sleep far more on this drug than normal, although this has been the case with all AD medications I’ve taken previously."

Locc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Been on it for about 5 days; my doctor told me to take it at night because it could make me sleepy. I'm still very sleepy all day but also feel its helped a little. I'm also having low sex drive. I will update as I'm hoping these side effects go away."

Nerf7 February 7, 2018

"I'm still on this. The only side effects I have are nausea, sometimes headaches, drowsiness. Over all my mood is okay. I felt change from this medication pretty soon maybe within 2 weeks. I'm less depressed and have much less suicidal thoughts. I threw up once but I think it was mainly because I didn't have any food that day. I just have to eat before taking them to help the nausea. It also helps my sleep routine. But also makes me quite tired through the day if Ionly sleep 8 hours. But feel so much better if I sleep 12 hours only problem then is I struggle to fall asleep until like 4am. It is a two a day dose which is a struggle, i forget to take them at night a lot. It's confusing because I don't know what time to actually take them at. So I have them after I wake and eat. and then at 11pm"

depressedfaye (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while I was on Effexor warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stopped it and within 2 to 3 weeks they were ALL-GONE, I couldn't believe it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :("

Willow10364 January 29, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor was the worst antidepressant I've ever taken. It seemed to help at first but only for a short time. The side effects were crazy. Brain zaps, waking up screaming for no reason, feeling hot all the time to the point of not wanting to go anywhere. Random muscle twitches, not being able to shut my brain off to fall asleep... My point is, not every medicine is for everyone. This one is too tough to quit cold turkey but once I got off of it I felt better."

Emmski January 27, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Worst drug I've ever taken in my life. Made my depression worse immediately to a low I've never been to in my entire life. My eye pupils kept dilating and restricting. I had to get off immediately after four days. I've since been on medications that work quite well for me but effexor was a nightmare so if you are having a horrible reaction get off it!!! It worked well for a friend of mine but not for me."

Candy 2015 January 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor for 6 months now and I feel great. My dose is 37.5mg once per day. I also take citalopram 20mg one time per day. So both are great together and my head thoughts have done a complete 180. I am finally happy. It has stopped all the negative thoughts plus my brain is less cloudy, I have a clear head. Its like I have a refreshed brain. Its wonderful."

MintLeaf_32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This ruined my life and nearly killed me. It destroyed my family and I lost 2 years with my son because of this demonic drug. On it, I was in a bubble not myself at all. It gave me a false sense if happiness and reality. I spent over a year getting off of it. This should never be given to any living being ever. This drug is worse than heroin. Disgusting!!!!!"

J197954 December 31, 2017