User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I used to take effexor, started with 37 mg dose ended with 150 mg dose, terrible experience. When you stop it - please stop it gradually as possible!! I stopped it and I enjoy perfect health again!! George"

kissonerga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medicine was GREAT while you took it but I was unfortunately very forgetful and if I missed a dose at all I’d be horrifically depressed. I switched back to another medicine (SSRI) because if by chance I missed a dose it wouldn’t ruin my life. If you’re pretty good at taking medicine this might be a great option but stay clear if you’re forgetful."

Am (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

"Tried sertraline and felt tired all the time, Venaflaxine is so much more effective for me"

Naskia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

"First day I took 37.5 mg I got nauseous in half an hour. The whole day I was felling weird but ok until I had a really weird fainting spell. That episode felt exactly like low sugars. I had it before but never THAT bad - hands shaking, extreme weakness.. But I knew that there are side effects with all the SSRI's so I kept taking it. It got better but still, I was feeling hot and sweaty, either extremely sleepy or shaky and anxious. When I increased my dose to 75 mg a day I felt so terrible that just stuck with 37.5mg. Some days I felt almost high. I also got a new job I love and sometimes I was a ball of odd energy and then these fainting spells would happen and I would be so tired. Two days ago I missed my pill. All of the side effects came back. I had to leave work and go home. I slept through the whole day, was terribly weak and depressed. I feel like this medicine is destroying me. I had a few really 'high' episodes, but the majority of time I feel so bad, it's not worth it."

SD (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It saved my life!! I've been on 150mg XR for 20 plus years and I can not find words to adequately describe the benefits of this medication. It's been so long, I really don't remember if I suffered any ill side effects when I first started or not. I will say that I had the bright idea several years ago to stop taking it.. cause I thought it may help me loose weight. WITHDRAWAL WAS HORRENDOUS and I decided weight gain or not, I was taking it. Quit eating like a pig, started walking, kept taking Effexor, lost my extra weight and wasn't depressed. I highly recommend this - try it. The pros far out weigh the cons in my book."

MEL (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is a terrible drug. Choose a different antidepressant or anxiety drug. When you stop taking this drug it will be a terrible experience even if you go off slowly. It will take a long time to feel good. PLEASE don't take this."

NYNYgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking effexor for two years, without much results until recently. I admitted myself to a psychiatric unit for my depression, where they raised my dosage from 75mg to 225mg. It's been a few weeks, and I've noticed my mood has greatly improved. I have more energy and motivation, and am no longer crushed by overwhelming sadness. I wouldn't call this a miracle drug, but for me, it definitely makes life more liveable."

Alex July 22, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had suffered for years with anxiety/depression back in the 80's and 90's, back then there was very little medication to help. In the late 90s my doctor put me on Prozac which helped profoundly until it stopped working after 10 years. Then Effexor XR was introduced, this medication was a godsend and I still take it daily for the last 18 yrs, now I'm able to concentrate when I read and enjoy a happy and fulfilled life!"

Isabel (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffered from a serious depression after a traumatic experience. I've always been a bit of a melancholic and I believed that I really know what depression is. But no, believe me, I had some horrible experiences and thoughts I didn't know I'm able to feel. After seeing the psychiatrist forthe first time, I started taking Laxapro which worked really bad for me. I stopped the treatment, get back to the black hole and start again. This time was Venlafaxine and changed everything. I was able to work with myself again. I have my clear mind, my job and life back. Of course, nothing is perfect. Miss one dose and you'll feel like dying. But, let's be honest, there is a small cost comparing with the experiences thar really kills you."

Giorgio Bambinovich (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"Overall I found this drug helpful. I had tried 3-4 different medications before starting venlafaxine, and was able to stay on the 150mg dose functioning for over a year. Then I tried to taper and however wasn't able to manage daily life, so went back up to 150mg and then added in a 150mg wellbutrin. I have now been tapering each dose every 2 weeks with the intention of being on wellbutrin alone. Side effects weren't bad until I stopped venlafaxine all together. 18 hours after my first "missed dose" I started to feel slightly dizzy and out of body. Since then nausea, vertigo, dizziness, unbalanced, and brain shivers have been steady, 84 hours since my last dose. This medication was good when I was on it, helped me have a functional life, but the withdrawal symptoms are very hard. I would even start to notice symptoms within 3-4 hours of missing a regular dose. I think this medication CAN help people have a functional life, but should not be a first option or taken lightly."

AP July 8, 2018

"I've been on Effexor XR for 3 weeks. The first couple of days I had a headache but nothing too bad, just enough to be annoying. The first two weeks I was on 75mg and moved up to 150mg which I've beaaaen on for a week. I did feel a bit fuzzy the last few days but still felt better than I have in a long time. Today at 3 weeks and 2 day I feel clear headed and I'm sleeping better. I used to wake up every couple of hours now I sleep straight through to about 4:30 am which isn't too bad since I get up at 5 am anyway. I did notice the return of the headache yesterday but it's gone today. Last night I noticed a bit of trembling in my body but it didn't last long. Also, I went to dinner with my cousin and I realized after awhile I'd been doing all the talking where usually I'm the quiet one. I don't know if that's a good thing or not lol. What I know so far is that I feel like a cloud has been lifted. I see hope for the future instead of dread and I actually feel like "I got this!""

Justtina June 29, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had tried just about every SSRI known to man (and women) and also several mood stabilizers but they offered very little relief and it was often fleeting. After the birth of my daughter I was agoraphobic and suicidal. My psychiatrist put me on Effexor XR and Remeron. I am on a 300mg and haven't had a major depressive episode in 4 years. The withdrawal effects are terrible but only if I forget to take it. It also helps with my fibromyalgia pain and narcolepsy symptoms."

AnneBivalent (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2018

"My dr recently put me on venlafaxine 75mg and I'm starting out in not liking it. I've been taking it for a few days now & instantly I could feel the side effects. I feel very nauseated but hungry but scared to eat because I might throw up I continued to take hoping the side effects would go away but they are not"

Kelly lynn (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

"I was really excited when I got prescribed venlafaxine because the reviews were either really good or really bad but nevertheless, I was optimistic. I stuck up with the weird side effects for a week more and then a really weird thing happened. I was at a bar with my friends enjoying a cocktail or two when suddenly I wake up in the morning, hungover as hell only to hear that I blacked out after TWO G&Ts. Fast forward a week later the same happened after half a bottle of prosecco. I know you are not supposed to drink on ADs but I’ve NEVER blacked out because of alcohol, especially from this kind of amount. Not even a month on it I decided to quit. Tapered of for a few days, then quit completely. The first few days were okay, then I started getting horrible nausea, hand tremors and electric shocks in my brain. The nights were even worse. Having experienced sleep paralysis only once in my life I was SCARED FOR MY LIFE when I got FIVE episodes in one night."

Kapper June 21, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor worked in the same way surviving a traumatic event makes you appreciate life. The first two weeks I experienced the worst horrible side effects. Vertigo, (almost fell while walking) , and a range of emotions from anger to numbness, than it worked. I felt ok for awhile until I missed a dose. Then the withdrawal symptoms hit me like I was a crack addict. I had to wean off slowly the vertigo was so severe. After that I felt like I survived and learn how to use natural coping techniques. I didn't want to take anything else."

Dani (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This was and is the most horrible medication that I’ve ever experienced before. It works well for a lot of people, however I wasn’t one of them. I felt intense pending doom, increased rapid thoughts, thoughts of self harm, perplexed and dissociation, everyone around me seemed awkward to me. I felt like in a dark hole, a tunnel of never ending sadness and a no-way out feeling. If your a Christian like me I would say maybe a similar of “mental hell” it was awful."

Anonymous June 14, 2018

"I was started Celexa 20 yrs ago which was effective for about 2-3 yrs. After a loss of efficacy, I went on Lexipro which was effective for 2 yrs. Next came Effexor XR. It was my miracle at 75 mg. I remained on that for many years until I began menopause and my libido TANKED. In search of the “latest/greatest” with the fewest sexual side effects, I was then put on Cymbalta, what I consider to be the worst of all anti-d’s because of the awful withdrawal. Well, then something new appeared, Trintellix, which I took at the max dose of 20 mg daily along with Wellbutrin 300 mg. That lasted about 18 months. Once again, I felt no better. Finally I am back on Effexor (Venlafaxine) 150 mg with Wellbutrin 150 mg. It took about 10 days for it to finally kicked in but I can say I feel as though a veil had been lifted from in front of my face. My libido has never returned much to my dismay, but I have realized that my mental health is FAR more important to me and my relationship."

Lucy’s Mom June 12, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"So I took my first 37.5mg pill this morning and WOW - what a horrible experience. 2 hours later I was puking like crazy and I feel like I am high on Mandy which is a feeling I absolute hate. It makes me feel ill thinking of how it made me feel from my party days but this just feels exactly the same. It's horrible. It doesn't feel like a natural happiness that you would get from exercise. It's really synthetic and I feel totally out of it. I had to actually lay down after being sick but I can't sit still. It feels like I have smoked a crack pipe! I understand this drug doesn't work for everyone but I had no idea how powerful it would be. Prozac is a gentle little lamb compared to this stuff. My only solace right now is that I know this will eventually wear off but I will absolutely NOT be taking another pill and am confused now as to what to do in order to deal with my depression. Ugh.....mental health!"

IrishAido May 23, 2018

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far."

Birdlover65 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It was effective, but not in a way anyone would want. For the very first time in my life I would go through episodes where I experienced absolute terror, and although I had been experiencing deep depression after losing several people close to me in a short time, I had never before contemplated harming myself. After less than a week on this medication, I was disassociated from everyone around me, largely unaware of anyone/anything outside "my bubble", and had turned totally inward, to the point of not seeing the changes. I was in such a dark place. Luckily, when the thought flashed through my mind that "I sure will miss my Girls" followed by a second lucid thought hit...WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING>>>??!! Two days after stopping the med all was back to the comparatively blissful normal depression, which has proven to be MUCH more effectively dealt with through some counselling, a regiment of exercise & outdoor activities, & an intensive hobby."

Sunseeker (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

"I'm at the point now where the doctor is running out of antidepressants to give me for my depression and anxiety. We're actually revisiting medication I've taken previously. I'm taking Vensir 225mg at the minute, having done the 75mg and the 150mg. Not experiencing any improvement, if anything I'm just experiencing an endless tirade of side effects. I've been on the 225mg now for about three weeks, so I'm still in the thralls of it. Previous medications: fluoxetine, mirtazapine, sertraline, propranolol, escitalopram (possibly others, but brain fog has me)"

hadestown (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2018

"horrible medication, terrible side-effects, withdrawals can be so hard on you. "

eleanor95 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I’ve been on this for 15yrs Started weaning off about 6wks ago - very gradually. I am now only a few days into none at all and my life is falling apart. I am bedridden b'cos I’m So dizzy & lightheaded. I cry constantly. I have diarrhoea. And the worst symptom is when I do finally fall asleep I have these awful dark nightmares, stories of which I can’t even repeat here. I feel like I’ve been possessed by demons. Not good at all! I’m a mental mess! Feeling hopeless. But under no circumstances will I go back in this drug. Any medication that causes these bizarre & severe side effects during weaning is a no no I’m my opinion ! Pls tell me these side affects will go away!"

Kd2071 (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018