User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was God awful to me. I was on Lexapro for 3 years when they suddenly switched me to Effexor while slowly weaning me of the Lexapro. The first few days were hell. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours each night and became irritable and physically ill because of it. When I finally did sleep and wake up I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever experienced in my life. It was to the point where my family and I were afraid I would need to be hospitalized. I will NEVER EVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN. I had only been taking it for 3 weeks when I had the horrible panic attack, the worst one I've ever experimeced and which the meds were supposed to be helping me with, and I am back on 20 mg of Lexapro."

KrissyMarieM July 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It amazes me that so many people actually have anything good to say about this evil drug. My advice to anyone is to never go on this drug or any other antidepressant, at least not for more than a couple of months. Weaning myself off this drug, at the very slowest of paces has at times been scary!! Mania plus suicidal even homocidal ideation is not to be taken lightly. It's taken 12 months to reduce my dose from 75mg - 6.56mg /day. For 6 mths I didn't attempt to reduce it. Now I use a nail-file and precision scales to reduce it by about 1mg/week. If I had known 11 years ago what I know now about this drug I would have told by doctor in no uncertain terms where she could stick it!"

Zyklzy July 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Hi, I have been using Effexor xr for about 9 months now and have been off it for about 3 weeks. I am still experiencing sexual disfunction. I understand this to be post SSRI sexual dysfunction which can last a few months, to a few years, to permanently. I wanted to let people of the this risk of taking an SSRI."

David Beckam Jr. July 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"After many months spent being given ten different types of antidepressants which none agreed with me my Dr suggested Venlafaxine 37.5 twice a day but I personally found it too much ( turned me into a Zombie) so we agreed on one 37.5 dosage daily slowly but surly it has given me my life back no major side effects other than insomnia .... Darkness is all I could see before venlafaxine 10/10 highly recommended"

Nada1/1 July 22, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor saved my life!!!! I was so hesitant at first to try this drug because to me it seemed so powerful compared to Zoloft and Celexa which I've been on in the past. I was also nervous bc of the reviews I read with ppl talking about all the horrible side effects. I'm here to tell you DONT BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. Effexor is absolutely amazing!!! I had no side effects at all. If I had to say I had any it would be cold sweats for maybe a day but that's it. I take 150mg ER a day and I am back to my old self if not better. My advice is that everyone's body reacts differently to medication and not everyone experiences the same things. This drug is amazing and has helped my depression in every way...."

Amazing Drug!!! (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "After a tragic and dark episode in my late 20's where I seemed to have reached rock bottom, some random doctor put me on effexor, minimal dose. Eleven years later I have never been able to get off the damn thing. And I lost count on how many times I've tried. This stuff is seriously addictive and is one of the worst in its kind. Make absolutely sure you really know what you get yourself into with this drug. Even just missing a day makes me sick, two and I'm sick as hell. I just finally started the long and slow process of tampering down 10% a month by removing little beads. It's gonna take ten months but I am determined and hoping it works out smoothly ... Nothing this addictive can be good. Beware."

Lucky17 (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2016

"Lifted my deep depression!"

Anonymous July 3, 2016

"I was on venlafaxine for about 4 years. I didn't realize until, now that I'm off of it, all of the side effects I suffered while taking it. I had chronic constipation, followed by a most recent period of explosive diarrhea. Anytime I missed a dose or was late in taking it, the dizziness and nausea would set in. Those would disappear after taking the missed dose.I gained so much weight. I was a little overweight when I started, but the pounds kept piling on, and were literally impossible to take off despite a very good diet and exercise. I had an intense craving for alcohol, to the point of throwing up from excess drinking. After a weaning off period, I'm on Welbutrin now. Losing weight, not drinking, and feeling much better."

Gladi stopped July 1, 2016

"I've been taking this medication now for about 6 weeks starting at 37.5mg now on 75mg 3xday. I'm feeling like a zombie I just sleep all the time, yes my depression and anxiety are less but the side effects including sweating and eating loads, will these disappear."

neilluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

"Helps me concentrate and lessens the crash from Focalin XR."

Anonymous June 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

"venlafaxine is a HORRIBLE drug. I have put three stone on in the few months I was on it, despite being active!I asked to be put in an antidepressant that didn't have that side effect so this has made me feel even worse. You mustcbe good at remembering the exact time to take this or withdrawals kick in within a few hours!tapered down over the space of one month to the smallest 37.5 dose, I am on day 7 of no ven and it's been the week from hell!hearing voices,vertigo, nausea,vomiting,crying for hours, mania,severe anger, crazy thoughts, head zaps (the weirdest sensation) confusion,memory loss,sweating, took me a week to feel even slightly human and still feel crap!taking diazepam to calm symptoms,terrified it has caused irreparable damage."

Junglej June 17, 2016

"Been on this for a few years now, taking 225mg/day. The side effects are unpleasant, but have abated greatly thankfully. When I started there was the WORST DRY MOUTH EVER. Persistent and I couldn't go five minutes without drinking something. Had sleep problems with it, including ridiculous night sweats where I'd wake up with a body imprint in my sheets (gross, yes) almost every night. Couldn't sleep more than 2-4 hours at a time. But trust me when I say these things were nothing compared to what I was feeling before (we're talking 0.5 on a scale of 1-10) and while I'm not 100% it is certainly the single thing keeping me from killing myself, which is nice. I can now sleep about 6 hours at a time and only have night sweats if I DON'T take it."

mynameistj June 17, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible side effects! I tried Ciprelex (escitalopram), but made me so tried all the time. My doc switched me to Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), I had 0 side effects, but I couldn't afford the $105 price each month without a generic brand or drug plan. Doc switched me to Effexor claiming it was "very similar to Pristiq, and available in a generic" however I had the WORST insomnia at night. Trouble falling and staying asleep at night- would wake up every hour with mind racing. Dry mouth throughout the day no matter how much water I drank. Also, very fidgety feet and legs while sitting or laying in bed. I was exhausted all day everyday, yet continued waking up several times throughout the night. Went back to my doc, and switched back to Pristiq."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Took first dose of 75mg before bed. Fell asleep at 1030 and slept well, actually. Woke up at 530 with eyes wide open as if i just had 10 espressos. It's now 630 and I don't have to be out of bed until 7. Can't sleep anymore. Feeling jittery with jaw clenching and teeth chattering when I open my mouth a little. Hands are sweating. I feel a little emotionally numb. Slight ringing in ears and slight headache with slight nausea. I feel peaceful but dull. Not sure if I will take again."

Lylalola84 June 1, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Started Effexor after other anti-depressants gave me too many side effects. I'm four months in now and so far it has been great. I do have times where I'm very sleepy, have vivid dreams, and some weight gain but those are minor to me compared to how miserable I was before. Sexually it's been helpful as I'm not on edge all the time and can relax easier. It's up to the individual to decide what side effects are deal breakers. I have accidentally missed a dose here and there but haven't experienced any of the withdrawals that others have."

JennyI May 31, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication has worked amazingly well for me, but the side effects are no joke. My mood is better, I'm less anxious, less angry, and more sociable. It works. It's great, but there are serious drawbacks. My libido and sexual performance are down. I get tired more easily. If I go outside on a hot day my clothes are quickly drenched in sweat. Physical activity exhausts my muscles more quickly. My mouth is so dry I need to constantly sip water. And finally, if I miss a dose I get the sensation of electric shocks in my brain. I personally find the benefits outweigh the side effects. Worth a try when more tolerable meds fail."

mr dude guy May 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016