User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have used this drug for around 5 years now. I am ultra-sensitive to medication, so when I am stable (I am bipolar) I go down to 112.5mg and when depressed I go to 150mg. At these doses, I still get the side effects. And QUICK withdrawal if I miss my morning dose... ie by lunch time, I am nauseous and getting brain-shocks. Having been on some other types of antidepressants, I prefer this one as I have energy (despite drowsiness being a side-effect). I would not change my anti-depressant again."

NikNakNoNo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1 started taking 75mg a few days ago also I smoke weed as well for chronic back pain and previous anxiety... I haven't noticed to many negative side affects but my sex drive isn't as high but it all still works, I have noticed little positives here and there but it takes some of that dwelling it allows me to produce clear and concise arguments"

International postage (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been good for my work life, it has given me energy to get things done, and to not stress as much about anything, including social interactions. It sort of numbs my emotions which has been good because I usually cry easily, and get easily bitter. I don't get overIy happy tho. I also like how I don't feel like I'm on a drug, my mind isn't cloudy. I have trouble when it comes to working on projects at home, projects I used to work on so easily now stress me out just thinking about the process of it all. I have an unusually strong urge to bite my nails, crazy dreams (which is fine), lethargic. Appetite fine except when changing my dose."

Kae333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Wow, is all I can say. Was hospitalized for extreme depression after trying to take my own life and all I can say is that this drug change my life. It has been one year on it and I am so much happier. I have no side effects from taking this plus I have so much more energy."

Bryan Of Canada September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Well where do I start? Middle aged mom of three and wife and a year ago it all went down hill. So I go to my doctor explain things and how I'm feeling and she prescribed me this medicine to me at 75mg a day then upped it to 150mg. The first few days I was so ill and sleepy I was passing out in the middle of sentences (eyes rolling back and body tremors) so I tried it for 6 months it really affected being able to orgasm which I didn't know it would do? So I started to ween myself off without doctors consent because its clearly NOT working to control my anxiety my mood swings or bringing a balance to my ADD/OCD. The nausea is horrible, the dreams are HORRIFIC I attacked my husband in my sleep and he had to pin me down. Don't take this medicine!"

L's Sunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am a woman nearing 40 who has dealt with a handful of health issues; Degenerative joint disease in both TMJ joints (20+ years), chronic migraines (20+ years), depression (20 years), and High blood pressure (6 years). I have been taking 250mg of Effexor for MANY years. Due to chronic pain my doc increased my dose to 300mg in spring. Since then my life has fallen to pieces. I have such terrible nightmares both at night and when I nap that I wake my entire 2 storey house. I have cold sweats and need to be woke up. I am usually in tears because as soon as I close my eyes I am right back in the nightmare. This goes on night after night. I am in a VICIOUS and scary cycle."

Screaming for help (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Overall, I had a positive experience with venlafaxine, but users need to be aware of how difficult it can be to quit. I was on 150mg for about 18 months - not very long - and when I wanted to come off of it, it was a very difficult experience. I still am weaning myself off grain by grain, because cold turkey is simply not an option. The main withdrawal symptom I experience is electric shock sensations in the brain. They even make a noise. I've heard that some people don't have as much of a problem with it, but I don't know how. In the beginning, I thought venlafaxine changed my life in a positive way, but over time it became somewhat less effective. It's an effective medication, but beware of the consequences. Took it with 60mg mirtazapine."

Roger333 September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"150mg/day. The first med I have taken that has very effectively tackled BOTH depression and anxiety/OCD. I believe this is due to Venlafaxine being an SNRI med (as opposed to an SSRI), which more effectively treat anxiety and obsessive thinking disorders, as well as depression. Drawbacks include the usual limitation on being able to feel deep emotion, a feature in many meds, which is a relief to some people and a hindrance to others. I've also found it to encourage apathetic feelings in situations or subjects that I would usually find emotive; not a bad thing if the issue was something I would previously obsess about, but not so good if trying to feel empathetic toward the feelings of others. Overall, it has been an absolute lifesaver"

Juggle123 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A few years ago I was in highschool and I had a good friendship and one day he told the teacher and he told me I can no longer talk to this friend. I crashed into a bad depression and I was on zoloft at the time and I went to see my doctor up it but it made me tired during the day and he took me off it and gave me this and it was the worst medication I have taken and it made me worst high anxiety more depressed tired ,could not sleep a nausea and vomiting. I will never take this medication ever again"

detour12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on this medication for about a year and never felt like it ever did anything other than make me irritable and kill my sex drive. It was extremely hard to wean off the 75mg dose which is a comparatively low dose. All up it took me about 6 months to come off it completely and the withdrawal effects after missing a dose would begin within just a few hours (brain zaps, twitchy etc). What I'm amazed about is the fact the doctor who put me on it initially didn't tell me any of the side effects and didn't warn me how hard it was to come off. I realise it probably works for some people but as a dispensary tech I see people coming in who are taking 300mg of this stuff a day. I shudder to think how hard it will be for them to stop this drug."

pushupstairs August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"felt the difference within days"

AnxiousGeorge (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took effexor for almost 7 years, the worst years of my life. I was angry and furious all the time, my anxiety was horrible and I cannot say it helps with the depression. I realised that effexor change my pesonality when I stop to take it and some how I was back to normal, except that my memory was very poor. To avoid the withdrawal my family doctor put my on cipralex, which give me palpitations, and after Zoloft that did nothing to me, remeron which worked for 3 months (helped me enormous with my insomnia) and after no more benefits and 10 kg more, water retention , I tried for 1 week Prozac and I woke up in a full panic attack at 4 o clock in the morning, horrible. Now I am taking only clonazepam as needed 0.5mg and is working like a charm"

Lilly from Montreal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So I have OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Possible ADD and I have been on many different medications for the past ten years and this medication has relieved my symptoms. Before taking this medication I was takin Luvox 300mg and Valium as needed. Before that I was taking all sorts, up to 5 different ones at a time including Seroquel which put in weight. I now feel more cheerful, not depressed, less obsessive thoughts, less anxiety and can concentrate better. I now feel I can do more in my life. I am also less moody. I am currently taking Efexor XR 150mg."

Cammando (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at 29 years old and was prescribed Effexor 37.5 mg. I stuck with the medication as I felt that any thing was better than what I was going through at the time. Eventually I found a good level dosage for me was 150 mg and have been on them for the last 6 years. I can say that Effexor has been a success for me. I wished that I was able to diagnose when I was even younger as my life would probably have swerved some bad life experiences. Now I am 36 with three kids and life is so amazing. I have still had some rough roads but the way I am able to process and handle them now vs before is a lot more efficient. I have not had a panic attack or a dip in my depression in 6 years. Life is good. Good is Great"

Izzye (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Left me with Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.. a year and a half passed by without significant improvement. I had been using 75 mg for less than a year. I recommend you to never take a SSRI."

Jean-Raphael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor XR for 17 years now. I take 150mg once a day. My biggest negative side effect is extreme, excessive sweating. I tried going off it earlier this year because I was fed up with this issue and thinking that maybe I really didn't need it any longer. Bad mistake. Within 2 month's I was back at my Doctors a mental mess and was put back on it. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Does anyone else have a issue like this while taking this med? It can be very embarrassing and makes me very self conscious."

Lahursey July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started Effexor 75XR today. I've read the reviews and choose to look at the positive reviews as I have had Anxiety most of my life and experiencing depression due to long term horrible marriage and divorce. I had been taking Valium but don't like that its addictive and the generics are not effective. I simply want to be my happy self and alter the depressive rut I've fallen into. My first bottle is generic and I've applied for a drug card for Brand from manufacturer. Took a few hours ago with breakfast, I expect good results. I want to be happy again and I believe this is half the battle."

SusanW50 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Venlafaxine/Effexor for 6 months during my senior year in college. I was having trouble with anxiety and depression and didn't think I could make it through. After a few weeks on this medicine, I noticed I was not as irritable. Things didn't bother me so much anymore. I felt comfortable enough to participate in class occasionally. I didn't feel as miserable. There were definitely side effects though. I had weird, vivid, bad dreams many nights. Sometimes I would have uncomfortable night sweats. It was very difficult to orgasm, on some occasions I felt too numb and gave up. I found it hard to cry, even though I felt sad. Despite these discomforts, Venlafaxine got me through my final, and most difficult year of college. I'd recommend."

adventurer93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have tried every SSRI except luvox and this is the only one that did anything. However it takes at least a month to work. However I went out of country and had my carotid veins widened and this extra blood flow has taken away all mental health issues or need for drugs..."

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried just about everything for depression and venlafaxine was one of the only drugs to help. I was so depressed that I jumped off a building for a suicide attempt. I wound up paralyzed in a wheelchair. Venlafaxine took a while to work about 3 moths or so. I first took 75mg but didn't do much. It wasn't until I reached 375mg that I felt the true effects of the drug. Very very strong antidepressant effects. My mind is clear and I'm feeling a warm glow all day. My depression so anxiety are gone even though I'm paraplegic I am happy. Wish they gave this drug to me a long time ago I would not be In a wheelchair. You have to really be patient and find the right dose abs then one day you'll wake up and feel great."

Kris74420 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT TAKE!!! THIS MEDICATION RUINED MY LIFE IN THE SPACE OF A MONTH! It made me more depressed, agitated, irritable, lose my appetite, anxious beyond belief.... and that's only on the lowest dose! I cannot believe, in all my experience with depression, that an 'antidepressant' can make someone feel so depressed."

Charlie2501 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Prystiq for about 8 months, but I thought my mood swings, irritability, paranoid thoughts, anxiousness, etc, were a thing of the past. Also, Prystiq is an expensive drug that is not covered by my pharmacy coverage. So, I quit cold turkey. Brain zaps, zombie mode, feeling horrible were all part of what I endured, but the symptoms quickly subsided. What came back a month after stopping Prystiq was the little dark cloud and all over the other things that I thought were in my past. I was having difficult coping. Now, I am on day two of effexor (which costs pennies on the dollar as compared to Prystiq). The nausea is intense but I know that if I stick with it the results will be all for the best."

Jlove65 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017