User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"There is a light at the end of tunnel. Have been taking Effexor XR 75 for almost 25 days. Initially felt miserable and had side effects (nausea, stomach upset and increased in anxiety). But today when I woke up I feel myself again, the real me - this drug has been a savior for me. Trust me this is awesome. Give it some time and it will give you your life back. I was really disappointed by taking Citalopram for almost 5 months it didn't get me feeling any better and even increased my anxiety but this drug is a miracle for me. Those thinking to quit, hang in there give it sometime and you will be back to normal :-)"

SajidAjmalKhawaja (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It Varies with me. At first it was good and helped me kick a 30 year weed habit. But now I feel less motivated and not as functional as when I smoked weed for the same symptoms. Weed worked. And had no side effects."

Jdm1126 May 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg in 2015 for depression. I was on it for 7 months. It helped at first, but not in a healthy way. It kinda just kept me calm and numb to my surroundings. It was almost like some type of fake permanent trance that helped me to not be able to focus for more than a couple seconds on issues. Just a constant blur, I had absolutely no feelings. Whether it be love or hate.....I had nothing. I didn't care about anything, nothing seemed to bother me. Then I started to have memory loss along with brain zaps every night before bed. I quit cold turkey because I knew I had to save myself. I now suffer with sleep paralysis and occasional brain zaps, two years later. I believe they are 2 lifetime side effects caused by this drug."

G_Mal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am a female senior and started taking this drug about 8 months ago, so far it works well for the depression at 150mg. I missed taking the drug for 2 days and as a result I had terrible symptoms when I went to bed, my muscles felt like they were tensed and shaking, could not go to sleep but must have at some point and had terrible dreams, now I feel quite ill, stomach upset, gut upset, sweating, horrible. Had to take some pepto bismol tabs to try to settle my stomach. Took my pill at lunch today, waiting to see if I start to feel better. Surely there must be a drug that can do the same job without the necessity to take it with food and won't send you body into a tizzy if you miss a dose or 2."

brownie1951 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Lifted me out of a deep, dark depression at 450 mg/day combined with Remeron 45 mg/day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used this for 6 weeks at first few days I felt great then bam I felt so much worse. I have major depression , panic disorder and OCD , I'm currently in counselling too while on this med , this is my 3rd medication for my symptoms I've tried now my doc prescribed lexapro and I will take that in 3 days, side affects I got while on venlafaxine was weird dreams , low sex drive (only for a few weeks then went back to normal) migraines and irritated my IBS . I came off the drug myself without my docs consent as I wasn't feeling myself and knew it wasn't working I was on 37.5mg and then upped to double the dose and higher dose didn't suit so went back down to 37.5mg . Only side affects coming off them was cold sweats and my migraines n IBS went"

Amy12365 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Stats: 26 year old. Female. 110lbs. Struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I started Effexor 2 months ago when my panic attacks and anxiety got out of control and I tried to overdose on pain medication. I am extremely against drugs and it took a lot of convincing on my doctors end to get me on them. I read reviews and got scared away. I wish I hadn't. I started off with a 37.5 dosage. My initial side effect was losing weight/ my fever appetite. I'm a petite girl but I love to eat. I supplemented this by drinking protein shakes and started working out. I am back to my normal weight now. A month later went up to 75mg. Absolutely no side effects. Anxiety is much better and no more panic attacks. Also, my sex life wasn't effected at all."

Toronto girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"2 weeks now and no improvement. Fingers crossed going forward! Feel tired and no energy..."

waka2 April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking it within the last few days, and I have been so nauseated since then. My head feels a little cloudy, too. I'm really hoping those side effects go away soon."

Danielle34 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Found this medication excellent with my depression recovery. However when you do start to feel better, the medication makes me feel lazy at times and has made me put on about 3kgs."

KrugerAM March 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just started taking it and I feel so sick and wanna vomit"

Anonymous March 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Started effexor 75 in Oct start feeling fantastic beside dry mouth and a bit of nausea. Doctor up it to 150mg in November. I felt like a whole different person I got my life back but due to some side effects of the drug causing constipation and facial twitching in my lower lip and body jolts doctor tried to ween me off 150 mg taking one pill every second day it was too fast to soon. Wow just as well if I had done it cold turkey. Brain zaps, crying, feeling lost in my own body. Scared tremors. It has been almost 2 weeks with no effexor and I have got vertigo, felt like I was going to die. Today I started taking 150mg again today and already feel a difference. This could be my drug huge difference in mood ,zapping gone and dry mouth is back I can live with that ."

Hello from the other side March 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am so very thankful for this medication. It has allowed me to get a handle back on my life. I have panic attack disorder, separation anxiety, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was prescribed the Effexor for my depression. I was so depressed that I wouldn't leave bed, I'd have crying fits daily, everything would upset me, and I had suicidal thoughts. I take 150mg daily, as well as some other medications, and I can honestly say I am a huge fan. I haven't had any side effects, I don't go through withdraw if I don't take it the same time daily, it doesn't cause any serious problems. My only advice is to take it with food, like most medications. Although this drug works for me, it might not work for everyone."

ep1268x March 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from anxiety, depression, mood swings and nasty guilt so badly that I almost walked out of my job and wanted to give up period! I have been on the XR and tablet form, and I all I have to say is the tablet form seems to work better for me. Most of the past year, I have been on 75mg. It numbs my emotions. Don't feel as sad anymore but it took the edge off of anything that makes me happy. Since I told my doc that I don't like XR version she recently upped my tablet dose to 75mg 2x a day! These past days have been horrible. Makes depression worse. Staying on 75 but honestly I think this med has to be combine with another anti depressant to achieve remission. Not as effective by itself. Hence 7/10"

Millennial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I'm at 225mg. There may, or there may not, be leg side effects. It can create -- or increase -- muscle rigidity. A massage will painful to the point of bliss -- the pain feels soooo good. But, if you start to get spasms WHEN YOU LIE DOWN they will be a whole different kind of pain! So strong they have now torn two tendens in my left leg the last 2 years. Effexor? In hospital they gave me my dose in the early morning and I had no spasms at night. But they also gave me morphine, oxy, and valium. NICE!!! At home, night dose > night spasms! Dose in afternoon > very few spasms. Love to hear from others!"

SitaKat March 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seems to work well. I am less angry. Call other drivers a Knuckle head now instead of a stupid SOB. lol It made me really sick at first with 50mg twice a day but Dr changed to 25mg twice a day for two weeks & I built up a tolerance to it. Now back to 50mg 2 times daily with no problem. I do now have a low tolerance for some foods that I use to eat with no problem. Mostly spicy foods (Italian, Mexican, Honey mustard etc.)"

CDEvansJr (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor 37.5mg once daily since September 2006 mainly to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Depression. Effexor has worked great for both. I tried to get myself off of Effexor a few years ago & took St. John's Wort instead. I was lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms. However, the depression returned, which I couldn't handle and returned to Effexor. I did wean myself off it and had no withdrawal symptoms. Experts say if you get off it, have to return to it, it may not work again. That didn't happen with me. I just found that Effexor raised my blood pressure & cholesterol. I have to decide whether to stay on it and be sane & preserve my kidneys, or stop it & get depressed AGAIN. Conundrum."

GinaGirl (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg to me. I took one at 3:00p.m. and by 7:00p.m. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I actually was able to fall asleep but woke up several times during the night with horrible nausea, shaking, anxiety, weird dreams, and the a lot of gas! Thank goodness I had Zofran for nausea or I would have thrown up. I also had to take an Ativan for the anxiety and Imodium for diarrhea. It's now 5:00p.m. the next day and I'm just now feeling better. I know others who use Effexor and love it so it does work for some....just not for me. I called the doc and she quickly switched me to something else."

Peteywheat February 21, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017