User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Stats: 26 year old. Female. 110lbs. Struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I started Effexor 2 months ago when my panic attacks and anxiety got out of control and I tried to overdose on pain medication. I am extremely against drugs and it took a lot of convincing on my doctors end to get me on them. I read reviews and got scared away. I wish I hadn't. I started off with a 37.5 dosage. My initial side effect was losing weight/ my fever appetite. I'm a petite girl but I love to eat. I supplemented this by drinking protein shakes and started working out. I am back to my normal weight now. A month later went up to 75mg. Absolutely no side effects. Anxiety is much better and no more panic attacks. Also, my sex life wasn't effected at all."

Toronto girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"2 weeks now and no improvement. Fingers crossed going forward! Feel tired and no energy..."

waka2 April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking it within the last few days, and I have been so nauseated since then. My head feels a little cloudy, too. I'm really hoping those side effects go away soon."

Danielle34 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Found this medication excellent with my depression recovery. However when you do start to feel better, the medication makes me feel lazy at times and has made me put on about 3kgs."

KrugerAM March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just started taking it and I feel so sick and wanna vomit"

Anonymous March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Started effexor 75 in Oct start feeling fantastic beside dry mouth and a bit of nausea. Doctor up it to 150mg in November. I felt like a whole different person I got my life back but due to some side effects of the drug causing constipation and facial twitching in my lower lip and body jolts doctor tried to ween me off 150 mg taking one pill every second day it was too fast to soon. Wow just as well if I had done it cold turkey. Brain zaps, crying, feeling lost in my own body. Scared tremors. It has been almost 2 weeks with no effexor and I have got vertigo, felt like I was going to die. Today I started taking 150mg again today and already feel a difference. This could be my drug huge difference in mood ,zapping gone and dry mouth is back I can live with that ."

Hello from the other side March 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am so very thankful for this medication. It has allowed me to get a handle back on my life. I have panic attack disorder, separation anxiety, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was prescribed the Effexor for my depression. I was so depressed that I wouldn't leave bed, I'd have crying fits daily, everything would upset me, and I had suicidal thoughts. I take 150mg daily, as well as some other medications, and I can honestly say I am a huge fan. I haven't had any side effects, I don't go through withdraw if I don't take it the same time daily, it doesn't cause any serious problems. My only advice is to take it with food, like most medications. Although this drug works for me, it might not work for everyone."

ep1268x March 10, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from anxiety, depression, mood swings and nasty guilt so badly that I almost walked out of my job and wanted to give up period! I have been on the XR and tablet form, and I all I have to say is the tablet form seems to work better for me. Most of the past year, I have been on 75mg. It numbs my emotions. Don't feel as sad anymore but it took the edge off of anything that makes me happy. Since I told my doc that I don't like XR version she recently upped my tablet dose to 75mg 2x a day! These past days have been horrible. Makes depression worse. Staying on 75 but honestly I think this med has to be combine with another anti depressant to achieve remission. Not as effective by itself. Hence 7/10"

Millennial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I'm at 225mg. There may, or there may not, be leg side effects. It can create -- or increase -- muscle rigidity. A massage will painful to the point of bliss -- the pain feels soooo good. But, if you start to get spasms WHEN YOU LIE DOWN they will be a whole different kind of pain! So strong they have now torn two tendens in my left leg the last 2 years. Effexor? In hospital they gave me my dose in the early morning and I had no spasms at night. But they also gave me morphine, oxy, and valium. NICE!!! At home, night dose > night spasms! Dose in afternoon > very few spasms. Love to hear from others!"

SitaKat March 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seems to work well. I am less angry. Call other drivers a Knuckle head now instead of a stupid SOB. lol It made me really sick at first with 50mg twice a day but Dr changed to 25mg twice a day for two weeks & I built up a tolerance to it. Now back to 50mg 2 times daily with no problem. I do now have a low tolerance for some foods that I use to eat with no problem. Mostly spicy foods (Italian, Mexican, Honey mustard etc.)"

CDEvansJr (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor 37.5mg once daily since September 2006 mainly to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Depression. Effexor has worked great for both. I tried to get myself off of Effexor a few years ago & took St. John's Wort instead. I was lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms. However, the depression returned, which I couldn't handle and returned to Effexor. I did wean myself off it and had no withdrawal symptoms. Experts say if you get off it, have to return to it, it may not work again. That didn't happen with me. I just found that Effexor raised my blood pressure & cholesterol. I have to decide whether to stay on it and be sane & preserve my kidneys, or stop it & get depressed AGAIN. Conundrum."

GinaGirl (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg to me. I took one at 3:00p.m. and by 7:00p.m. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I actually was able to fall asleep but woke up several times during the night with horrible nausea, shaking, anxiety, weird dreams, and the a lot of gas! Thank goodness I had Zofran for nausea or I would have thrown up. I also had to take an Ativan for the anxiety and Imodium for diarrhea. It's now 5:00p.m. the next day and I'm just now feeling better. I know others who use Effexor and love it so it does work for some....just not for me. I called the doc and she quickly switched me to something else."

Peteywheat February 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This drug is absolutely horrible. I was prescribed Effexor 75mg twice a day. After lunch day ONE I take my first dose. Needless to say the intense vomiting, pins and needles up my spine into the back of my head and fire burning sensation in my spine, blurred vision, severe tremors, seeing colors and spots all over the place, my eyes starting rolling to the back of my head, passing out. Almost landed me in the ER. Called my doctor and got switched off immediately. That was by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I have been on Celexa 40mg until it stopped working and now I am on Prozac. I clearly can't handle an SNRI like that. I felt like I was going to die. Be highly cautious. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

CatieL February 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am a 33 yr old woman with Anxiety, irritabilty, ocd . I have been on many different medications since i was 18. My new doctor finally sent me to a psychologist to see if effexor was the right drug for me after being on it for 18 months with some improvement but not great improvement. At the time I was on 75 mg a day. The psychologist upped my dosage to 200 mg a day. Since then I have had very slight anxiety, and only when even a normal person would have a panic attack. My OCD is manageable. And I no longer wish everyone dead. I have had 0 side effects what so ever. Only thing I have noticed is when i miss a couple days, (mom of 3 it happens), all my problems come back 100%. I never take my meds at the same time and have never had withdrawal."

Breeder (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug has been fantastic,I have been on and off certain anti depressants most my life (am 32) I would be fine for a while then things would get to much. My doctors have just put me on a higher dose of this and I am on 300mg a day I feel calmer and can think things through first, but there is a down side.. don't ever miss one. Before I was on my higher dose I was at 225mg a day and I missed a day and a half as had forgotten to get more and was waiting for my repeat prescription, thinking this would be ok, oh how wrong I was, it felt like everything was really loud and ppl were shouting as they were talking. I couldn't concentrate on a conversation one min I wanted to cry. In all a good medicine but don't miss any."

Kirst84 February 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Had been taking Zoloft 50mg about a year, then when my life stress increased, it wasn't helping me cope well. Im also taking Generic Adderal 10mg 2x daily which helps more with mood, focus, and anxiety. Since generic effexor is working so well for my daughter, I had asked my Psychiatrist if I could try it. From day one it seemed like a miracle and for about half a year I felt pretty normal. Doc thought 75mg dose was too low, but once I went up in dose. I started the downward spiral of side effects. On day 3 now, taking zoloft 50mg again, per the doc, but feel horrible, physically and ever so crazy now and then. I'm older female and sure don't need this. Wouldn't suggest this med to anyone over 30 because it's so nasty to change from."

Crazydaisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Awful awful drug! I was put on this when I was 18 and was up to 150 mg for 7-8 months. If you literally took this med 5 min later than your scheduled time you would get withdrawal symptoms. The worst are what they call brain zaps which feels like your brain is getting electrocuted and the shocks travel all through your body to the tips of your toes and finger. I weened off and had these symptom for 4 months before they dissipated !! Also was on constant panic while weening off for weeks thinking I was dying. Never again"

Anonymous person January 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on this medication for at least a year and a half. I started out with Celexa which at the highest dose completely stopped working for me, I was in a panic, cry for help. I became so much more depressed and my behaviors were so impulsive. My Dr started me of Effexor and what a difference this medication has made in my life. My mood became stable, I am no longer angry at the world, and l don't have the desire to go back to the way I was before Effexor. Remember everyone, we are all individualized, some things may with for others better than ourselves!"

AwesomeME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication has been life changing for me. Even after my first dose I was feeling like "me" again which I haven't felt like in 7 years. I'm much more calm and relaxed about life and when things happen I can deal with them in a positive manner. I will say the one downfall of this drug is the side effects if you miss even ONE dose. I've been on it for about 4 months now and I missed my first dose yesterday, which was my fault because I forgot the pharmacy closes early on Sunday's and was too late picking it up. "

BlytheMarie January 23, 2017