User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Terrible med. for me like it was for a lot of people. I used it for 6 weeks (enough time to get into my system). It caused panic attacks, which was not fun. I would have several each day. I was taking this med. for anxiety and depression. I cried every single day, and several times a day on this med. and I did not sleep a full nights sleep for the entire duration. I felt way more sad, and felt like I was in a zombie like state daily. I read reviews of this drug and prayed that I would soon start to feel better, and wouldn't be one of those that this drug did not work for. Alas, I was one of those. I stopped taking Effexor, cold turkey 5 days ago. Best thing I ever did. I experienced some withdrawal symptoms, like severe brain zaps"

Cinnabuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

"this med did its job reasonably. Didn't necessarily keep me out of the dumps all of the time, but I could cope with life better. Started with 37.5mg ER, then switched to sertraline for 2 weeks due to insomnia. Went back on Ven but now 75mg immediate release for 1 month, then 75mg ER for another, then 150 mg ER after feeling like 75 wasnt enough. Was only on 150 for 2 weeks after realizing I gained 15 lbs!! WTF?? I didn't eat a lot because it did suppress my app. But I was constipated all of the time. Just wanted to lay in bed most of time. Moved on to Bupropion, but thanks venlafaxine for being there I guess? You're like the brother who kept me company but never cleaned up after yourself."

Insomniacpenguin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed venlafaxine ~3 months ago for depression co-morbid with anxiety (mostly social in nature). During the first week side-effects included feeling "strange"/"spaced out" and jaw clenching. I still have mild anxiety "jitteryness", some foul smelling flatulance(!) and limb twitching/achiness. I don't really know if it has worked for depression so give it a modest rating. I do feel slightly better but I don't know if I can credit the drugs because I made some significant lifestyle changes. As for anxiety, I do feel less hesitant in conversations and less obsessive over saying something "awkward". I think this is because of the drugs, but unfortunately these social improvements haven't really translated into improved confidence"

Stevo Hein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

"I had very little side effects, yawned a lot and dry mouth but the difference in my mind and wellbeing was significant. I am so much better, I have hope, enthusiasm, my concentration is back, I am sleeping all night now, rarely wake up and if I do I can get back to sleep. I really appreciate what this drug has given me back."

Yah August 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "The absolute worst drug I have ever been on. Caused physical illness and a state of mania for a week straight - a week from hell."

Diaaaaaaaaaaaa August 9, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Please everyone make sure you are emailing Pfizer. They need to be making increments of 5mg so that people can wean themselves off easier. They are aware of the withdrawal from Effexor yet have not made smaller increments so people have to figure out ways to do it themselves. I was on 150mg for 4 years. I attempted to go off by decreasing by 37.5mg every 2 weeks. I was suicidal, exhausted, dizzy, and felt like my brain was being electrocuted. Within 2 days of taking my previous dose the symptoms went away. My next attempt to get off was much slower. I decreased by 5mg every month. I had to take my pills out of the capsule, shave a little off the pill and put it back in the capsule. To get any kind of accuracy you have to buy a scale."

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"Horrible drug. Used this for 3 weeks and had to stop. Felt highly medicated even though on the lowest dose, I believe 37mg? Didn't want to eat for the first few days then for 2 weeks could not stop. Has increased my irritability and have low moods and anxiety combined with a sensation of carelessness. Very tearful. Dr has recommend I stop taking this immediately."

Anonymous32344 August 3, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "More than Depression I take Effexor for Anxiety and it works well. The only problem occurs when I forget to take it. Within in hours I experience withdrawal symptoms such as light headiness and an occasional brief buzzing in my head."

Grodon August 1, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This was the worst of all the antidepressants I've been on. One day without taking it and I would immediately start to withdrawal. I quit this cold turkey disregarding my doctor's request because I just wanted it out of my system. I basically went manic for about a week but I felt so much better when it was cleared from my system. Hated this drug. 0 stars if I could. My new doctor even refuses to prescribe this."

Anonymous Reviewer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was God awful to me. I was on Lexapro for 3 years when they suddenly switched me to Effexor while slowly weaning me of the Lexapro. The first few days were hell. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours each night and became irritable and physically ill because of it. When I finally did sleep and wake up I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever experienced in my life. It was to the point where my family and I were afraid I would need to be hospitalized. I will NEVER EVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN. I had only been taking it for 3 weeks when I had the horrible panic attack, the worst one I've ever experimeced and which the meds were supposed to be helping me with, and I am back on 20 mg of Lexapro."

KrissyMarieM July 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It amazes me that so many people actually have anything good to say about this evil drug. My advice to anyone is to never go on this drug or any other antidepressant, at least not for more than a couple of months. Weaning myself off this drug, at the very slowest of paces has at times been scary!! Mania plus suicidal even homocidal ideation is not to be taken lightly. It's taken 12 months to reduce my dose from 75mg - 6.56mg /day. For 6 mths I didn't attempt to reduce it. Now I use a nail-file and precision scales to reduce it by about 1mg/week. If I had known 11 years ago what I know now about this drug I would have told by doctor in no uncertain terms where she could stick it!"

Zyklzy July 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Hi, I have been using Effexor xr for about 9 months now and have been off it for about 3 weeks. I am still experiencing sexual disfunction. I understand this to be post SSRI sexual dysfunction which can last a few months, to a few years, to permanently. I wanted to let people of the this risk of taking an SSRI."

David Beckam Jr. July 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"After many months spent being given ten different types of antidepressants which none agreed with me my Dr suggested Venlafaxine 37.5 twice a day but I personally found it too much ( turned me into a Zombie) so we agreed on one 37.5 dosage daily slowly but surly it has given me my life back no major side effects other than insomnia .... Darkness is all I could see before venlafaxine 10/10 highly recommended"

Nada1/1 July 22, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor saved my life!!!! I was so hesitant at first to try this drug because to me it seemed so powerful compared to Zoloft and Celexa which I've been on in the past. I was also nervous bc of the reviews I read with ppl talking about all the horrible side effects. I'm here to tell you DONT BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. Effexor is absolutely amazing!!! I had no side effects at all. If I had to say I had any it would be cold sweats for maybe a day but that's it. I take 150mg ER a day and I am back to my old self if not better. My advice is that everyone's body reacts differently to medication and not everyone experiences the same things. This drug is amazing and has helped my depression in every way...."

Amazing Drug!!! (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "After a tragic and dark episode in my late 20's where I seemed to have reached rock bottom, some random doctor put me on effexor, minimal dose. Eleven years later I have never been able to get off the damn thing. And I lost count on how many times I've tried. This stuff is seriously addictive and is one of the worst in its kind. Make absolutely sure you really know what you get yourself into with this drug. Even just missing a day makes me sick, two and I'm sick as hell. I just finally started the long and slow process of tampering down 10% a month by removing little beads. It's gonna take ten months but I am determined and hoping it works out smoothly ... Nothing this addictive can be good. Beware."

Lucky17 (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2016

"Lifted my deep depression!"

Anonymous July 3, 2016

"I was on venlafaxine for about 4 years. I didn't realize until, now that I'm off of it, all of the side effects I suffered while taking it. I had chronic constipation, followed by a most recent period of explosive diarrhea. Anytime I missed a dose or was late in taking it, the dizziness and nausea would set in. Those would disappear after taking the missed dose.I gained so much weight. I was a little overweight when I started, but the pounds kept piling on, and were literally impossible to take off despite a very good diet and exercise. I had an intense craving for alcohol, to the point of throwing up from excess drinking. After a weaning off period, I'm on Welbutrin now. Losing weight, not drinking, and feeling much better."

Gladi stopped July 1, 2016

"I've been taking this medication now for about 6 weeks starting at 37.5mg now on 75mg 3xday. I'm feeling like a zombie I just sleep all the time, yes my depression and anxiety are less but the side effects including sweating and eating loads, will these disappear."

neilluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

"Helps me concentrate and lessens the crash from Focalin XR."

Anonymous June 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016