User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If you want to hallucinate, lose all recollection of time since the drug enters your system, shake and sweat like a heroin addict, live in complete disarray, never talk to anyone ever again because it makes you hallucinate your friends and family are all there with you, even though you live alone... Then this is the drug for you. II was on it for Fibromyalgia and depression. It has been well after a year since I discontinued use AGAINST DOCTORS ORDERS and I still have headaches and electrical-type surges throughout my body. I took that USELESS drug for well over 3 years at its highest milligram and had to just flush them since the doctor refused to take me off of them. I had almost every single symptom listed on the manufacturer website. I STILL cannot remember those years. AWFUL!"

Worst drug ever! (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on Effexor XR for almost 4 months for major depression and anxiety. It caused stomach upset which got worse with every increase in dosage.( I also suffer with IBS so it was hard to tell for a while if it was the Effexor or not.)The worst part however, was yet to come. I started spotting the 3rd month I was on it and by the 4th month on 150mg, I was bleeding as if I had my period every single day. My psychiatrist is tapering me off it and at 75mg now, I have less stomach pain and no bleeding. We will try Zoloft next."

Nika776 September 23, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I Have been on this medication for 2+ years. I would not recommend a dosage higher than 37.5MG a day at 200lbs male. It keeps me awake and not having ADHD type symptoms throughout the day if i take it in the morning. I have tried Prozac and it only made my symptoms worse not better. As a night person who had sleeping cycle problems from a young age."

Alternativee30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

"This medication really is amazing. It has worked wonders for me, lifted me out of severe depression. I'm on 300mg, also on Mirtazapine and Lurasidone. I definitely recommend this medication."

Stickyvicky (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2016

"Venlafaxine can give you a false positive on a drug test. I'm in the military going on 17 years and I failed a drug test because of this medication. The military made me aware of my positive drug test and I gave them a list of all my medications. They were able to reevaluate my positive drug test and break it down further which showed it was in fact venlafaxine and not ampthetimines, like cocaine or meth. As for your job, I'd take them documentation and show them were venlafaxine can give a false positive and demand a review or ask to do another drug screening and have them do a full panel work up. Good luck. Hate that happened to you. Don't stop fighting till you get your job back. That's discrimination if nothing else!"

love2hunt (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Male, 6'2", 150lb. I take 75mg of Effexor XR in the AM and 15mg of Remeron in the PM for suicidal depression and generalized anxiety. Some days I take higher doses of 112.5mg and 30mg. The combination has worked wonders for my condition. I started on Remeron initially and titrated to 45mg/day, but did not feel it was working for my depression, although it did help with sleep and appetite. I tried gabapentin for a while and was able to quit Remeron entirely for some time (wanted to give my receptors a break). Gabapentin was great for anxiety but made me more suicidal. I quit gabapentin and went back on just 15mg of Remeron, this time also adding the Effexor. I have been very happy with the results. It seems to be the first medication that really works for me. I had significant side effects when starting Effexor, but they subsided completely after about a week- feeling high much like MDMA, and I had diarrhea and some insomnia. When I increased from 37.5 to 75 mg, the only con I noticed was lower energy level (and some yawning). I started drinking some coffee to help with that. This is a very serious medication to be taking, as I know it can be very hard to withdraw from; however, I am committed to sticking with it. Eventually may increase my dose up to 150mg. Effexor makes me feel very mellow. I am less concerned about what people think of me. I am quite confident with the ladies. My sex life has been better than ever on this med combination. I have wondered if my sense of humor is dulled, however. I am also somewhat lazy, but this may change when I go up to a higher dose. Risk-taking behaviors should be watched when increasing the dose, as I broke my ankle playing sports. Overall, I give this medication 9/10 and am very happy that I got the script. I recommend taking it with Remeron to better manage the nighttime, and to counteract the side effects. They have a wonderful synergy. My only concern is that they may eventually stop working, and I may eventually have to stop taking them and suffer the infamous withdrawals."

Roger33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Adding just 37.5mg of Effexor to my 15mg of Remeron had quite an impressive effect for my depression and anxiety. I titrated to 75mg and have stuck with that for several months with great results. This is the first medication that I feel has truly worked for me. (In the past, I've taken bupropion, hydroxyzine, propranolol, gabapentin). The combination with mirtazapine makes for almost a perfect synergy. I feel that I have achieved true therapy and healing since I started taking "california rocket fuel"."

Duckyjwalker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

"Hi , I need info about Effexor [ venlafaxine ] 225 mg . Two weeks ago , i had a drug test required for my job . The result turn out false positive for cocaine ! I am 57 years old male , and totally never took cocaine in my life . I was fired on the spot from my job . I am devastated . There was no way that i could protest this result . I am a pipelines worker , and in my 37 years experience at work , this has never happend to me . This was a urine test . Please , if anybody here can help with advices , i would be so grateful . This is absolutely unfair , unreal . Thanks for reading Peace Rene"

beau57 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on 75mg ER of Venlafaxine HCL for over 3 months now and I really feel wonderful. It's working very well for me. I have plenty of energy, lost about 20 pounds of weight and I do feel very content and calm. I do have vivid dreams that are interesting and long. I socialize and react very well with people now and no longer have any fears of socializing with groups of people. Again, this antidepressant, has so far, worked very well with me and I am happy that my doctor switched me from 20mg of citalopram, which made me very tired and gain way to much weight, to 75mg Effixor ER (Venlafaxine). Everyone's system is a bit different and what may work well for someone may not work well for someone else. I wish you all the best."

Autumnbreeze555 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "thought it was a miracle drug at first until I ceased feeling emotions, and I was only ever on a low dose of 75mg. Been trying to ween off this drug for 3 months now and I had brain zaps (feels like an electrical impulse going through my head), no appetite, diarrhea, head aches, dysphoria, aches & pains throughout my muscles and joints, dissociation (feels like I'm watching myself watch paint dry), tremors, and sweats. I feel hopeless and like this drug has taken my life from me for the past few months. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone ever."

THE WORST (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016

"My doctor prescribed venlafaxine nearly a month ago. I did experience headaches and nausea during the first five days; however, they were mild. The first positive effect I noticed related to sadness. Since I have lost six family members in less than two years (father, sister, and more), I felt there was no end to the depth of my sadness. With this medication, it has felt like someone slid a manhole cover over my sewer of sadness. The second positive effect related to an eating disorder. I have been plagued with emotional eating for comfort, out of anxiety, to calm fear, and more for years and years. Since this medication seems to help me be more emotionally balanced, the compulsion to use food to address feelings has been diminished."

JR808 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for over 5 years now and I cannot imagine life without it. I was crying all the time for no reason....my dr. Put me on 75 mg a day and it made me extremely anxious. He then upped it to 150 mg per day and I have no side effects and function great! The only side effect I have noticed is: if I forget to take it I start to feel dizzy after a few hours and by night am crying."

Bonfire Blast September 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Terrible med. for me like it was for a lot of people. I used it for 6 weeks (enough time to get into my system). It caused panic attacks, which was not fun. I would have several each day. I was taking this med. for anxiety and depression. I cried every single day, and several times a day on this med. and I did not sleep a full nights sleep for the entire duration. I felt way more sad, and felt like I was in a zombie like state daily. I read reviews of this drug and prayed that I would soon start to feel better, and wouldn't be one of those that this drug did not work for. Alas, I was one of those. I stopped taking Effexor, cold turkey 5 days ago. Best thing I ever did. I experienced some withdrawal symptoms, like severe brain zaps"

Cinnabuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

"this med did its job reasonably. Didn't necessarily keep me out of the dumps all of the time, but I could cope with life better. Started with 37.5mg ER, then switched to sertraline for 2 weeks due to insomnia. Went back on Ven but now 75mg immediate release for 1 month, then 75mg ER for another, then 150 mg ER after feeling like 75 wasnt enough. Was only on 150 for 2 weeks after realizing I gained 15 lbs!! WTF?? I didn't eat a lot because it did suppress my app. But I was constipated all of the time. Just wanted to lay in bed most of time. Moved on to Bupropion, but thanks venlafaxine for being there I guess? You're like the brother who kept me company but never cleaned up after yourself."

Insomniacpenguin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed venlafaxine ~3 months ago for depression co-morbid with anxiety (mostly social in nature). During the first week side-effects included feeling "strange"/"spaced out" and jaw clenching. I still have mild anxiety "jitteryness", some foul smelling flatulance(!) and limb twitching/achiness. I don't really know if it has worked for depression so give it a modest rating. I do feel slightly better but I don't know if I can credit the drugs because I made some significant lifestyle changes. As for anxiety, I do feel less hesitant in conversations and less obsessive over saying something "awkward". I think this is because of the drugs, but unfortunately these social improvements haven't really translated into improved confidence"

Stevo Hein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

"I had very little side effects, yawned a lot and dry mouth but the difference in my mind and wellbeing was significant. I am so much better, I have hope, enthusiasm, my concentration is back, I am sleeping all night now, rarely wake up and if I do I can get back to sleep. I really appreciate what this drug has given me back."

Yah August 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "The absolute worst drug I have ever been on. Caused physical illness and a state of mania for a week straight - a week from hell."

Diaaaaaaaaaaaa August 9, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Please everyone make sure you are emailing Pfizer. They need to be making increments of 5mg so that people can wean themselves off easier. They are aware of the withdrawal from Effexor yet have not made smaller increments so people have to figure out ways to do it themselves. I was on 150mg for 4 years. I attempted to go off by decreasing by 37.5mg every 2 weeks. I was suicidal, exhausted, dizzy, and felt like my brain was being electrocuted. Within 2 days of taking my previous dose the symptoms went away. My next attempt to get off was much slower. I decreased by 5mg every month. I had to take my pills out of the capsule, shave a little off the pill and put it back in the capsule. To get any kind of accuracy you have to buy a scale."

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"Horrible drug. Used this for 3 weeks and had to stop. Felt highly medicated even though on the lowest dose, I believe 37mg? Didn't want to eat for the first few days then for 2 weeks could not stop. Has increased my irritability and have low moods and anxiety combined with a sensation of carelessness. Very tearful. Dr has recommend I stop taking this immediately."

Anonymous32344 August 3, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "More than Depression I take Effexor for Anxiety and it works well. The only problem occurs when I forget to take it. Within in hours I experience withdrawal symptoms such as light headiness and an occasional brief buzzing in my head."

Grodon August 1, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This was the worst of all the antidepressants I've been on. One day without taking it and I would immediately start to withdrawal. I quit this cold turkey disregarding my doctor's request because I just wanted it out of my system. I basically went manic for about a week but I felt so much better when it was cleared from my system. Hated this drug. 0 stars if I could. My new doctor even refuses to prescribe this."

Anonymous Reviewer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This medication was God awful to me. I was on Lexapro for 3 years when they suddenly switched me to Effexor while slowly weaning me of the Lexapro. The first few days were hell. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours each night and became irritable and physically ill because of it. When I finally did sleep and wake up I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever experienced in my life. It was to the point where my family and I were afraid I would need to be hospitalized. I will NEVER EVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN. I had only been taking it for 3 weeks when I had the horrible panic attack, the worst one I've ever experimeced and which the meds were supposed to be helping me with, and I am back on 20 mg of Lexapro."

KrissyMarieM July 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It amazes me that so many people actually have anything good to say about this evil drug. My advice to anyone is to never go on this drug or any other antidepressant, at least not for more than a couple of months. Weaning myself off this drug, at the very slowest of paces has at times been scary!! Mania plus suicidal even homocidal ideation is not to be taken lightly. It's taken 12 months to reduce my dose from 75mg - 6.56mg /day. For 6 mths I didn't attempt to reduce it. Now I use a nail-file and precision scales to reduce it by about 1mg/week. If I had known 11 years ago what I know now about this drug I would have told by doctor in no uncertain terms where she could stick it!"

Zyklzy July 26, 2016