User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

"After many months spent being given ten different types of antidepressants which none agreed with me my Dr suggested Venlafaxine 37.5 twice a day but I personally found it too much ( turned me into a Zombie) so we agreed on one 37.5 dosage daily slowly but surly it has given me my life back no major side effects other than insomnia .... Darkness is all I could see before venlafaxine 10/10 highly recommended"

Nadsboo11 July 25, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking velaflaxine (Effexor) about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started on half of a 75 mg pill and now have moved up to a full pill. At first you experience some side effects like loss of appetite, fast heart beat, hot flashes and a little numbness down below. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently. After almost three weeks of taking it I already feel relief. My anxiety is getting better and better, and I sleep so much better at night cause I can actually relax for once! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I feel after two months of taking it. If you are willing to pressure through the rough side effects then the benefits are so worth it!"

Cmv2550 July 19, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hi, my name is Jess. I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for over 20 years now. My anxiety was so bad I had to be homeschooled. I've taken Prozac, paxil and neither worked and had bad mood swings on paxil. My doctor suggested something newer, it was effexor. He said he has had good results with it. So I tried it, heck I would of tried anything to make my anxiety go away. I was on effexor (75mg) for 10 years and it worked for me. No side effects except being tired at first. No more anxiety/panic attacks or depression but maybe a very few short episodes. I was happy and enjoying things I was held back from for so many years. Effexor changed my life, literally. If I did miss a dose I felt tired, depressed and the "zaps.""

anxiety loves me May 9, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was having bad anxiety for a couple of months. I was unable to sleep, and was pacing the floors a lot. I got on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg), and my anxiety disappeared within a week. I did not have many side affects. I got a little sweaty the first week, and felt a little foggy. That went away quickly."

JCT62 May 7, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

"Just started taking Venflaxine for my anxiety. It made me very I'll, I was nauseas and vomiting for 2 days. I stopped taking the pill and felt 100% better. I think everyone reacts differently to certain medications, if you are someone with a sensitive stomach just be aware you might have this reaction."

Andy300 April 27, 2016

"Had extreme anxiety after trying Champix to quit smoking. I was on this for about a year and a half and then weaned off slowly. Things went downhill at work and I'm just restarting after I felt my anxiety creeping back in. This time though the doc wants me to take it twice a day instead of once a day. Currently on two 37.5 in the morning and then another 37.5 about 5pm. I can feel my anxiety lessening after only a week. Just started a new job. My anxiety makes me think my teeth are going to hurt and that's all I end up focusing on. All day every day. Effexor has been a real life saver."

Leelow (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"This medication is an selective reuptake inhibitor for both serotonin and norepinephrine. I found it to increase my anxiety by a million due to the norepinephrine release. I don't understand how in the world this works for anxiety...it didn't for me. Good luck and for those it works for, God bless"

Tennisguy13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor XR after most of the SSRIs I recently tried gave me diarrhea for more than just the initial adjustment period. I tend to be more on the anxious side of life and the SSRIs seemed to treat that better than Effexor, but I cant be in the bathroom all day. 75mg/day works well for me currently. I was on 150mg for a year which worked well, but then suddenly my anxiety and obsessive thinking was coming back.The doc upped dose to 225 and I got way worse, so we lowered it and boom. way better. "less is more" worked for me this time. Effexor XR also has less side effects for me regarding fatigue, hunger, weight gain and sexual side effects. as a woman this is a huge perk. mental health- the struggle is real! Good luck!"

allison_G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My experience was a waking nightmare... I was started on a low dose to treat anxiety.. It didn't help at all. My DR kept slowly increasing my dose while I suffered from extreme anxiety with no relief.. I had weight gain, night sweats, oddly long menstrual cycles, cramps, the urge to drink alcohol. I went to another Dr that said the dose needed to be at least 225 to treat anxiety I was on 125 so he increased dosage. This made the side effects much worse and the weight gain. I didn't care about anything, I wasn't myself. I decided after 20 lb gain to stop and got tapered off. I became extremely ill it was like having the flu everyday for weeks. I've been completely off a few weeks now I have headaches still and extreme anger like rage."

Should be illegal (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I don't normally review anything but this time I thought I thought I should especially considering most people only tell you the negative experiences of a drug. I really didn't know my anxiety was bad until now. I know I had bad "nerves" is what I call it and I'm normally on edge and get paranoid about almost everything especially my relationships. I got so used to being anxious that it became normal to the point that I forgot what the other side felt like. Strange but true statement. Effexor has allowed me to handle just about anything thrown at me. Yes I get a little anxious but over all I'm ok. I did have bad gas and a headache but it got better totally worth a try."

Candy_cane April 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "In response to Natalie- why didn't your doctor wean you off this medication? By just cutting your dose by half-if that's what he/she did here, no wonder you're experiencing such horrific side effects - speak up! My daughter just started taking this for panic disorder brought about by MIf the RX only comes in capsule form at those two doses- then there needs to be advocacy to change this so there is a way to wean off this med! So many people report negative side effects- withdrawal shouldn't be torture and you might need to find a more compassionate doctor- it astonishes me the lack of empathy some professionals have- considering their career choice- if they can't be compassionate, they should stay AWAY from patients and stick to reearch!"

Jadia (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have very bad anxiety, moderate panic attacks, and horrible night terrors. I just couldn't take it anymore. This was the first medication I tried. It has helped me so much, I can't even explain it to you. Yes, I still have anxiety but it is mild now. I almost never have nightmares anymore. As soon as I miss a dose, I get light headed, dizzy, and feel like crap. Has very bad withdrawls. I have almost no side efffects. This medicine has been great for me. Been on it almost a year. I am at 150mg."

BugsBunny89 March 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medication has helped me out a lot with depression and ruminative thoghts. It has made me feel less anxious and much happier. I get depressed less and less. I have been on this med for 6 months now and it has helped give me the energy to be happy. Give it a shot! Only negative side effect for me has been night sweats. Missing a dose hasn't cause any problems for me."

DepressionDude25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Been on effexor xr for approximately 12 years! I regret taking it. Am on 225mg per day, doctor wants me to taper down to 150 per day! It's a damn nightmare I'm on day 2 of being on 150 mg and the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I feel dizzy nauseous feels like my head is hot feel very tense, very moody, and short fuse. I could go on."

Ñatalié83 February 26, 2016

"Started taking Effexor in October and it's completely changed my life. I no longer have unusual anxiety and haven't had a single panic attack (despite being exposed to many triggers). I can't believe what a huge difference it's made. I feel like I have my life back again. I was previously on Lexapro, which I found didn't really alleviate my systems to the same degree, and caused me to be tired all the time. The only side effect I've had with Effexor has been weight loss."

Caustalot February 24, 2016

"This medicine is horrible! I'm an average 20 year old that doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs. I've had anxiety since HS, and only recently realized it. I thought a "magic" pill would make my anxiety disappear, boy was I wrong. My doc prescribed me to take the 37.5 mg dose for like 5 days, then get a refill for 75 mg. The 75 mg gave me bad headaches everyday. I let her know and she prescribed me just to take the 37.5 mg, and stressed to never miss a dose. I followed what she said and I felt OK on the 37.5 mg until I started to notice hair thinning and loss! I have a head full of thick hair, never experienced hair loss in my life! The doc lied said it's just the anxiety. Lies! I weaned myself off after 3 months, withdrawals are the worst."

C.N. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've had unmedicated anxiety all my life which seemed to become worse with as I got older.. Though I lived with it. Also I experienced my first migraine which were followed by almost daily tension headaches. My doctor recommended Effexor. I was very nervous to try after the many things I read googling. I told her I was also concerned about weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I was a newlywed of 40.. Worked hard to loose weight. She still recommended it. In a few weeks I could feel better. I noticed as time went on I was calmer.. I wasn't having 10 thoughts at once. I felt at peace. I started sleeping better. Because I felt better and my mind was clear, I was more patient. Sex was even better. I did not gain weight. a little nausea at first."

Angiedt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Has anyone experienced weigh gain with this?"

Over welled February 17, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on this medication for over 6 years now, 150 dose although it does help quite a bit if you're forgetful like me and miss a dose you're going to be in a world full of trouble even one day will make you feel sick although I still get panic attacks now and then. I find it does really help."

Dannna February 11, 2016

"I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety my whole life. I have been on multiple medicines to try to tame them, and nothing really worked... until now. I got on effexor and immediately felt relief of anxiety. I hadn't felt like that since I was a very small child. It felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders! I couldn't believe the difference! I recommend this medicine to anyone who suffers with anxiety. I tthought all this time that how I was feeling was related to depression, but it wasn't! It was anxiety. I love how I feel now and would love to be a spokeswoman for this medicine. It made me feel so much better! Highly recommend to anyone."

Stacemeisterbee February 8, 2016