User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've suffered from severe panic disorder since I was 10. I am 45 now. I was on 200mg of Zoloft for 18 years. It took away my anxiety, but also took away any motivation. I was a zombie for all of those years and slept all the time. My new Dr. suggested switching to Effexor. I was afraid that it wouldn't work and my panic would come back. I was so wrong. After a week on 37.5 mg, my energy was back and anxiety still gone. I'm on 75mg. I can't believe I stayed on Zoloft so long! I can think and do things again! I don't sleep all the time. Everyone reacts differently. If this med doesn't work for you, I'm sure there is one that will. Wish I would've switched sooner. No side effects at all!"

What's anxiety? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was on this med for 5 years. Worked fine but not great. Stopped the panic attacks and gave me relief of every day nervousness that I was experiencing. Took months for the side effects to diminish when I first started taking it. What did not leave - insomnia, night sweats, lack of sex drive and poor orgasms (or no orgasms at all)."

B123456 December 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have had terrible anxiety driven depression my entire life. Effexor is an amazing medication. I waited until I was in my late 30's to do something about my anxiety/depression because of the stigma and fear of taking anything that might make me go crazy (the anxiety talking). I was a fool to wait so long. None of my fears materialized. As soon as I started the medication I began to feel better and better. I was also prescribed Kolozopin to act as a bridge to get through the anxiety until everything began to work and fall into place. Do NOTe wait hoping things will pass! I was convinced I was the worst case scenario and I got better. Just do it and get treated"

RichGB55 December 15, 2016

"We moved to VA after 3 years on orders and my Anxiety came back. My anxiety was situational. I had a refill left on my Zoloft. I filled it but it didn't work like the first time. Everything felt constricted. Nothing seemed clear to me. I tried Venlafaxine after crying to my doctor and I have been extremely happy. I will say, just like the other reviews mentioned, if you miss a dose, it's horrible. The dizziness, anxiety, foggy thoughts are severe. I'm on 75 mg and feel great."

No regrets!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Just an FYI. Not all anxiety medications work for everyone. This one works amazingly for me but works horribly for a good friend of mine. She took a test to determine what medication was best for her and was able to find the best match. If you are on a medication that isn't working don't give up hope, ask to do the test and try something until you find one that works for you. If your doctor isn't accommodating look for another one. Cheers."

feeling Way better December 7, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for about 12 years now. I have spent my life fighting debilitating anxiety and depression. I would have panic attacks, horrible downward spiraling thoughts, extreme negativity, physical symptoms such as shaking, and could even lose touch with reality in severe episodes of depression. No amount of behavioral therapy and monitoring of a diet, exercise, or treatment plan would make a dent in my anxiety. Within weeks of taking Effexor XR, I finally had a chance to understand what it is like to live without terrible anxiety. I haven't really experienced any negative side effects, except perhaps hot flashes and night sweats. Life is finally manageable. I am thankful for every day I have, now, thanks to Effexor."

Nanci G December 3, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have major depression....was taking Prozac 40 mg a day and it just stopped working for me. I have started Effexor XR 150 mg twice a day with some sleeping pills at night....In such a short amount of time I feel so much better! Life changing better! Depression is horrible and all consuming and pray that every person trying to get help does....and at least for me I have found stimulants of any kind are not good....because the crash or comedown is more than I can handle with my underlying depression."

Invu4uraqt December 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I highly suggest people not try this medication. I was only on it for 8 weeks and had horrible memory problems that I am still working through. This medication has caused me to be out of work for going on 7 months now. The doctors keep telling me it not this medication, but I know it is since this is the only anxiety med I took that caused memory problems. The prescribing doctor made no mention of memory loss as a side effect. I am on a special diet now to stimulate my memory, along with going to therapy to get my memory back. Scariest time of my life. I feel like a zombie right now."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

"Are these outlandish reviews of whole years being forgotten solely due to Venlafaxine, actually serious? That seems ridiculously unrealistic. I am on 225mg per day and if I'm late taking a dose I get the weird zaps and dizziness etc. But it does do a pretty good job on very severe anxiety and depression. Coming off it will be hard but I have been recommended a good 3-month plan for it. I have noticed that not all actual packs of tablets are as good as others though, I don't know how this can be!?"

Flossleberry November 21, 2016

"It completely stopped my anxiety I was suffering from for years....it gave me my life back. I took 75mg 1 time a day. For 9yrs. That dose worked for me. I tried higher doses and lower ones with no success. I have been off them now for 1year. I have no side affects from them. I also don't have anxiety like I did before starting them."

Mike Click44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2016

"I've read that this stuff isn't as bad as some of the others. This is my first time on anxiety of meds, and I'll admit, I do not like it at all. The only pro for me is it helps me sleep better at night. But theres been more cons for me. It makes me nauseous with hunger which makes me more irritable. Once every few day, I'll be sent into a tunnel vision spell which varies on its length of time. And its reduced my ability to perform well in bed. All in all, its not the worst of the side effects, it still feels like hell to me, so I'm going to work on getting off of them"

Bowlofarthritus (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor XR (now the generic) for 18 years! I suffer with anxiety and panic. I went as high as 150mg and then stayed at 37.5mg for years. When break through panic comes in I up my dosage to 75mg then taper down again. I have tried to go this medication but my panic just comes back. I thank my lucky stars that there was a medication out there to help me with functioning in the world. I am 54 and I plan on staying on this medication until I am 104!"

Back in Life (taken for 10 years or more) October 25, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I cannot describe how life changing this medication has been for me. I've been suffering from anxiety/depression, specifically social anxiety and low self esteem, my whole life. It was at a point where I thought it was normal to be negative, pessimistic, anxious and depressed all the time. I tried EVERYTHING including therapy, exercise, diet and an array of medicines and nothing worked. I nearly developed an addiction to Xanax just trying to combat the anxiety. Prozac, lexapro, Concerta, stratera; Nothing worked. Finally got introduced to Effexor XR. Started on 75mg for 2 months, I wasn't that satisfied. I got put on 150mg for 2 months then. CANNOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE. I'm happy, confident and positive. AMAZING. Long may it last."

Stixie K October 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I wanted to leave my experience on here because this drug has changed my life!! I read all the bad experiences people have had and was worried this would happen to me too. Back in December 2016 for some reason I just lost it. Heart racing constant (although most my life I have had heart racing at times...anxiety) panicking over nothing, crying, depressed, lost interest in hanging out with my friends, wanted to just lay in bed all day, expecting the worst to happen, scared to drive anywhere past my town, dreading my husband coming home from work...etc...No logical reason for any of this. My doctor started me out on Zoloft and it helped a little at first. The side effects for Zoloft were awful for me the first week. 7 months in my doctor had me on 100 mg and at that point it felt like it wasn't working at all anymore. In August he switched me to Effexor (generic) The only side effects was an occasional dizzy feeling a couple times the first few days. I literally felt a change by the 2 day. Heart started beating normal, happy, lots of energy, driving everywhere!!! The best part, other then my heart not racing, is wanting to hang out with friends again and talking to complete strangers without sweating and panicking thinking they are judging me!! I did have to raise my dosage to 150 mg because 75 mg was only working half the day. I do hear when you do want to come off of these it is not fun but at this point I hope I never have to."

JenJen1973 September 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffer from GAD and I have to say this medication has changed my life.. I am much happier and handle situations better. I only take 37.5 one per day usually in the morning and that works for me. The only side effects was insomnia In the beginning but now I feel calm and relaxed and I have great nights sleep. I wake up energized and wanting to start my day. This medication with therapy has done wonders. Ignore the negative and try for yourself . Reading reviews I was so scared to start this medication but I thank God I gave it a try."

Tip89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So, I was a 18 years old perfectly healthy and in good shape, but I was severely depressed and with some emotional issues. So I went to therapy (good decision) but she told that I was supposed to take something for my mood, so I started effexor, and have almost no side effects from it but also didn't really improved my mood, so I went to the highest dosage since I didn't had side effects, and after 8 months on it i just went cold turkey(i know) and basically i had over 100 side effects ever since its been over a year and i still have side effects, i could not sleep for days, i went hypomaniac, and MUCH more to this day i feel pain and numbness in my body and severe coordination and cognitive problems nothing seems to get better."

Fernandorna September 22, 2016

"I was on Effexor XR (generic brand) for about 6 weeks. I am in the process of tapering off (It's NOT as bad as some people say.) While this medication did help tremendously with, both, anxiety and depression, it had its fair share of side effects that I could not live with: it exacerbated my migraines, made me feel a bit "numb" and unmotivated, and interrupted my sleep/caused me to oversleep, missing many appointments for therapy. This medication WAS helpful but it also caused harm. No major side effects when starting except headache, dizziness and nausea. The dizziness passed after 1 month."

missschris (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

"I have been on several meds since I can remember. Altven medication works BUT the night sweating is unbearable. What can I do about it?"

story of my life September 19, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for several weeks now (Effexor XR 37.5mg daily) and it has helped me a lot more than the Celexa I was on. Although recently (within the last 10 or so days) I have experienced very mild headaches that last a long time and feeling fatigued all day. Caffeine doesn't help and extra sleep doesn't help. I've had problems with fatigue all my life but this feels different. I am not sure if this is related to the medication because I have not had any side effects and I've been on this medication for almost a month now."

smh1094 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started effexor after citalopram stopped working for anxiety and depression, been taking it for 3 years, was up to 150mg, tapered down to 37.5mg, slowly over 6 months, mainly because of weight gain, and feeling more calm, No problems in reducing, but am reluctant to go lower in case of a relapse, has anyone lost weight after reducing the dose, or do you have to come off completely ? I rate effexor, except for weight gain, and sweating, the only med that has made me function normally,"

lily 1 September 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "No pill is for everyone, but this medication honestly changed my life. I am 23 and have been on it since I was 17. Before it, I was miserable, couldn't focus, and constantly wanted to die. I struggle with GAD and Depression, and this medication has honestly been the only thing to make it bearable. My life feels manageable, and I know I can conquer anything. I interact with people in a way that represents who I really am, not in a way that reflects my anxieties and insecurities. I almost didn't finish high school before Effexor and I now have a BA in Political Science and am heading off to law school. Like I said, this medication isn't for everyone, but it honestly changed my life and I will forever be grateful."

EmilyMichelle September 11, 2016