User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

"Effexor saved my life! I was unable to tolerate existing, and realized I wouldn't tolerate it much longer, I was gonna put a stop to it. I was anxious before, but this realization put it over the top. But then I remembered someone at a key time recommending Effexor, and asked my psych. for it. Problem solved! Anxiety gone! (Though actually it increased my anxiety a little and increased my ability to deal with it a lot, which is the same thing.)"

Neuromancer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took one dose Effexor and stopped because it’s bringing me to my knees and can’t sleep for a day now"

Ibrahimi January 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'll just rate this middle. It helped with my mood and anxiety some but at some point I started getting side effects my psych said happen to people in withdrawal - but I was taking the dose I was prescribed everyday, which was 150mg after being 75mg. It started getting really hard to get up and I always felt like I was beaten by a bag of oranges everywhere every night at some point upon waking. I'd want to wake up and even try to roll onto the floor but opening up my eyes and getting up were just... hard.I can't remember exactly what it was like but I truly did want to wake up. I would also just feel confused about simple things and had to really try to think to tell if I was sleepy at times or had low blood sugar since I have issues with *low* sugar levels"

nicknamerd001 January 3, 2018

"5 '9 175 lb guy. This drug worked really well at first for anxiety but I had a TON of side effects. I was working out a ton at the time, but this had an extreme increase to my metabolism. The first MONTH I lost TEN (10) lbs to 165. I regained it over time, but then I got lots of tingling in my legs. A permanent tingle. Had to stop it because of that. But it certainly was better at FIRST than prozac... which just made me feel like garbage."

Jer 68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 31, 2017

"When I finally had the courage to seek professional help for my depression and anxiety, I was given this drug to try. I'd never been on antidepressants before and was hesitate about it. I taken this and straight away I felt very sick. I was always crying when I had no-one present with me, dizzy, needing to vomit, etc. Ended up in ER. I went straight off this med and tried something else. Don't be put off from trying this drug from my comment. It affects people differently and for me, this drug just didn't work out, but another one did."

whippet121 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for 3 years, it was a god send. My life was at its darkest and had many sad events happening at the same time, death of my mother, mother in law and beloved dog within a year. I was transferred from my job, and felt a great amount of anxiety and stress. Feeling of fear and dread on a daily basis, and feeling like I was having a heart attack many different times including at a family Christmas dinner. I was a 54 year old male, father of two that could not be weak, I was counted on by many loved ones, but felt like there was nothing I could do. So I met with my doctor, she was very open to what I was feeling and asked me what I thought was happening. I told her my symptoms and what I needed to do. Putting me on Effexor"

Lower/slower December 7, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I feel it's important to share because as a mom I was on line in the middle of the night searching for answers for my daughter. She is 13 and has anxiety. At 4 she had night terrors and then would pass out with any pain. She started to be difficult to take to school in 4th grade due to the fear of throwing up. She was put on Lexapro after my great hesitation as she was so young. It helped a little. When 7th grade hit her body was 2 seconds from fight or flight. Frequent panic attacks were long and exhausting. Long story short she had genetic testing done and Effexor was on her list of Med's that should work. She is like night and day after around four weeks. Its about finding the right med for you. Genetic testing is a start."

Jellybean04 November 30, 2017

"This drug has changed my life for the better I have been on and off anxiety drugs for 30 years would come off them for a few years and the anxiety and panic would always return. After 2 years on citalopram came off went 2 years being off them then anxiety returned went sertraline what a nightmare after 2 months stopped because of very bad side effects after 4 weeks went back on for 3 months suffered really bad again phoned Docs changed me to venlafaxine 75 mg slow release sat and looked at them for a month terrified. Eventually phoned Docsb who put me straight. I took them and what a difference I am alive again and no problems 10 out of 10 saved my life and life is good again never felt so good. After 30 years this is the one for me. Thx. Do not be afraid of this"

diddyuk November 28, 2017

"This medicine worked very good for my anxiety. I took it for 4 days, but as a newlywed the side effects were too much. I had no sex drive and it woke me up at 3am and I couldn't go back to sleep. I stopped taking it as soon as I realized these two issues. I was on the 37.5 dosage."

pookie1984444 November 2, 2017

"HELP! I dont know what to do... I recently was prescribed Venlafaxine 37.5 and am afraid to take it. I am male 54 recently divorced and have been struggling with severe anxiety/panic attacks. The attacks come on so strong I have physically "blacked out" and fell to the floor. I have been in a "emotional hurricane" for almost 1 year since the divorce. I originally was prescribed Busiphrone (sp) and Espicalipram(sp). Severe suicidal thoughts, and suicide attempt. I am at my wits end. I have job pressure, life struggles, relationship issues. If there are any men out there who can advise .. please help!"

WTF !!! October 18, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffered from depression and anxiety all through university. Effexor helped me finish my degree and I couldn't be happier. Everyone can react differently, just pay attention to your body."

Monst (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

"I have taken venlafaxine for roughly 4 years now. It still works great for my anxiety. I take 75mg twice a day and it nicely keeps obsessions and anxiety under control. Keep your mind open and keep looking for the right med for you."

chgoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

"I have tried quite a few antidepressants (fluoxetine, citalopram, trazadone, quetiapine amatryptaline,) but they all seemed to have side affects that I couldn't handle. I was prescribed venlafaxine XL 75mg twice a day. The start was pretty intense I suffered clenched jaw, constant yawning and excessive sweating however I kept taking them for a month and the side affects slowed right down. I think the worse side affect long term is insomnia, forget having a cat nap in the afternoon because you'll pay the price at night. The good points are that my life is actually feeling normal. My anxiety has gotten fewer and fewer to not having any. I can face the world and I can smile again. This drug has probably saved my life. I'm me again ☺️"

Toughtimesdontlast (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2017

"My son was prescribed 75 mg venlafaxine by his physician for anxiety and depression. He had many of the side effects for 18 months without realizing it was from the drug. Excessive burping, yawning, insomnia, mood swings, and tremors. He stopped taking them and after 8 days had a manic episode from the withdrawals. He was hospitalized in ICU for 4 days. It almost killed him. Do not take an anti-psychotic or anti-depressant drug without a diagnosis from a psychiatrist. This type of drug must be monitored weekly by a professional. After follow up care with a psychiatrist said he has probably never been depressed but had situational anxiety disorder from the pressure of college. He now has PTSS from the experience getting off the drug."

Parent of Suvivor (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 2, 2017

"As soon as I started on this drug I experienced an inability to ejaculate. I tried to come off it once and it landed me in the hospital. That was with a period of weaning me off Venlafaxine 75 mg ER. I would not advise any active male to take this drug."

jschiner (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed the Effexor ER for acute depression and anxiety after a death in the family and only took it for a month, but it made me sane and able to face every day as a teacher without crying randomly throughout the day. That was 2 years ago. I was prescribed it again for the same thing when my fiance passed away. I thought I was ready to stop taking it after 3 weeks but I found myself fighting back tears over small incidents like breaking a pen or a student asking me a simple question about the material. I started taking it again and it's been a life saver for me. I can still take the time to reminisce at night and grieve, although the tears seldomly come. If you aren't on it long then the withdrawal isn't bad at all. Hope this helps!:)"

AshleyLeAnna September 29, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!"

momof4minions August 22, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been a Godsend for me. I went through every med out there to control my depression and anxiety attacks. I have been on it now for 11 years, and it's still working just fine. I'm not saying every day is roses and rainbows, but, if I can have 6 out of 7 days positive, it's a far cry better than 7 out of 7 horrible."

MudBug (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Only take Effexor if you want to be on it for life. The withdrawal lasted 3 months for me. I think my body and mind are permanently damaged from this drug. It helped anxiety by numbing me but at the same time, made me more depressed at times."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medication strongly relieved my depression/anxiety. After having a horrible experience with sertraline, I was wary of trying a new drug. However, this drug has been a lifesaver and I'm so glad I continued to try medication. It made me functional and able to enjoy life again (--: I did experience some side effects for the first two months, including: lack of appetite, weight loss, sleep disturbances, and difficulty achieving orgasm. These effects faded though, and now the only time I experience anything negative is if I miss a dose. Do NOT try this medication if you cannot adhere to a strict regimen. The withdrawal symptoms after missing a dose are unpleasant. That said, don't be afraid of this drug! Take it as directed and it works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

"Apart from wanting to sleep a lot in afternoon finding great results found it best taking it at 10pm"

Kiwichicky123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "First off, I want to say I never take the time to write reviews however I do end up myself reading everyone else's so I hope this helps someone! I'm 22 Female, and for about 4 years suffered from anxiety. First it started off as panic anxiety then with failure of trying medications Prozac, Zoloft, and lexapro, my head was just so much worse. I could feel the chemical imbalance I began getting daily depression and anxiety to the point I'd worry 24/7. It ruined relationships & made me seem crazy. I finally got on Effexor last month. CHANGED MY LIFE. I feel NORMAL again. Happy, no anxiety, energetic. Only side effects were yawning, vivid dreams, & at first jaw pain. I highly suggest this with panic/daily anxiety/depression mix! My fears are gone"

THISCHANGEDMYLIFEFORTHEBETTER July 27, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I recommend it for those who struggle with fears panic attacks social anxiety. It's really helpful after 1 month u will find it very helpful- it changed my life."

wisso (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

"Scary for me, took my first pill gave me tremors, couldn't sleep, kept pressing my hands and feet into my bed, my anxiety was out of control, and I was up all night ended up calling two friends and my mom and told them my pupils were extremely huge and I felt like I was on speed and I was freaking out wanted to go to the ER, felt completely out of body. Doctor told me to stop taking it ASAP and switched me to prozac, I have had the prescription. For a week and am scared to take it, I cannot have those same side effects, I thought I might die, the effects lasted 5 days eventually on the next day of being off I was able to sleep but I would wake up in the morning disoriented and depressed. I also still has muscle spasms. Will try prozac though"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017