User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on and off this medication for years - it has been the one that has worked best for me always. I will start to feel I need more and try something else, but I always come back to Effexor XR. I take 37.5 mg. I have NEVER had a zap or cried when going off the medication or forgetting a dose, although I am on a low dose. It is what makes me feel the closest to normal of all the medications I have tried. I do have to say that Paxil was the first med I ever tried and it totally removed all anxiety, which was what I needed at that time, but I put on 40 lbs with it and have struggled with that weight ever since. I have come to understand that we all need a wee bit of anxiety in our lives or else what would be the catalyst to get out of bed or work out or be a better person. But when the anxiety becomes unhealthy some of us we need the help that only a medication can give us."

Gergerbear (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "People should say if they are male or female. It works differently on them. I think it works better for male"

Lisa March 30, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Had panic attacks for 21 years and eventually put on Effexor. What a relief would not give these up for all the tea in China fantastic"

Carmo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2018

"I’ve now been on venalflaxine for almost two months now and it has been a life saver. I was expecting very crippling anxiety and then depression because of the anxiety. I tried Lexapro (a SSRI) before and it made me in a manic state and terribly sick, so I was very hesitant of taking another medication but the SNRI has been working well. I was hit with side effects such as increased anxiety, foggy or high feelings for the first week or so. Now all I am seeing from this drug is a harder time having orgasms or no sex drive, insomnia, and the worst hangovers ever even after 1 glass of wine. But, reading reviews isn’t going to help especially if you’re hesitant about taking a anti anxiety or antidepressants because everyone has such different experiences. I’ve talked to people and they loved Lexapro and I thought I had the flu and I’m was a nightmare from it. And I’ve talked to people who hate venalflaxine and I love it."

Ari March 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I developed severe IBS-D and OCD anxiety symptoms building into agoraphobia, which became progressively worse, to include suicidal thoughts and led to a legitimate nervous breakdown. My doctor prescribed Effexor supplemented for a short time with Clonazepam to get through this period and I was able to within a few weeks. An overlooked effect of this drug is that my stomach issues improved CONSIDERABLY (75mg), while Zoloft had made it worse. I highly recommend this for anyone with IBS-D or OCD type anxiety symptoms. It is very difficult to wean off of, but I am now pregnant and have come down to 37.5mg by going down 12mg every 2 weeks with minimal side effects. A perinatal specialist recommended I not completely go off, just wean down. Though the baby has not been born yet, I had a comprehensive ultrasound done to check for birth defects and everything looks very healthy. Good luck and I hope this helps!"

Kris March 5, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on this drug for 2 weeks and am already in love with it. I feel like it’s balancing out something in my brain that has been broken a long time. I feel like if I’m not constantly struggling and fighting to lose weight the pounds just pile on. When I stop exercising while sick I gain everything back. I also have depression and anxiety. Most pills make me feel like a zombie. So since starting this drug I have lost almost ten pounds in 2 weeks. And I haven’t even tried! I am less hungry, like if I’m not hungry food doesn’t even look good. I was on vacation for one of the weeks I’ve been on Effexor and didn’t eat the healthiest, but did eat less. I haven’t exercised either, except for a few days here and there. I know it takes longer to see the real effects of the drug, but I’m already less anxious and the weight is just falling off. No bad side effects except a little constipation and a slight head ache the first week."

Rose March 1, 2018

"I can stress enough that this drug should be a LAST RESORT. The withdrawals are horrible, and the multitude of people stating such are not lying. I was warned about the withdrawals by my psychologist, so I asked my Dr that was prescribing this med. She said the withdrawal horror stories were not true - WRONG. She has never taken this drug - the stories are true. I was only on it for 2 months (it made me much much worse, not better) and am currently going through the withdrawal (day 4). It's absolutely awful, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, wanting to cry for no reason out of nowhere (I'm a 6'1" 215lb man!). Some people may have no other choice but I would exhaust ALL OTHER OPTIONS before allowing yourself to be put on this stuff. Eventually you will need to get off, and the longer your on it the harder that gets. Everyone is different, but scour the internet, you pretty much can't find ANYONE that stopped this stuff and didn't have issues."

FooHangIn March 1, 2018

"Effexor saved my life! I was unable to tolerate existing, and realized I wouldn't tolerate it much longer, I was gonna put a stop to it. I was anxious before, but this realization put it over the top. But then I remembered someone at a key time recommending Effexor, and asked my psych. for it. Problem solved! Anxiety gone! (Though actually it increased my anxiety a little and increased my ability to deal with it a lot, which is the same thing.)"

Neuromancer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took one dose Effexor and stopped because it’s bringing me to my knees and can’t sleep for a day now"

Ibrahimi January 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'll just rate this middle. It helped with my mood and anxiety some but at some point I started getting side effects my psych said happen to people in withdrawal - but I was taking the dose I was prescribed everyday, which was 150mg after being 75mg. It started getting really hard to get up and I always felt like I was beaten by a bag of oranges everywhere every night at some point upon waking. I'd want to wake up and even try to roll onto the floor but opening up my eyes and getting up were just... hard.I can't remember exactly what it was like but I truly did want to wake up. I would also just feel confused about simple things and had to really try to think to tell if I was sleepy at times or had low blood sugar since I have issues with *low* sugar levels"

nicknamerd001 January 3, 2018

"5 '9 175 lb guy. This drug worked really well at first for anxiety but I had a TON of side effects. I was working out a ton at the time, but this had an extreme increase to my metabolism. The first MONTH I lost TEN (10) lbs to 165. I regained it over time, but then I got lots of tingling in my legs. A permanent tingle. Had to stop it because of that. But it certainly was better at FIRST than prozac... which just made me feel like garbage."

Jer 68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 31, 2017

"When I finally had the courage to seek professional help for my depression and anxiety, I was given this drug to try. I'd never been on antidepressants before and was hesitate about it. I taken this and straight away I felt very sick. I was always crying when I had no-one present with me, dizzy, needing to vomit, etc. Ended up in ER. I went straight off this med and tried something else. Don't be put off from trying this drug from my comment. It affects people differently and for me, this drug just didn't work out, but another one did."

whippet121 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for 3 years, it was a god send. My life was at its darkest and had many sad events happening at the same time, death of my mother, mother in law and beloved dog within a year. I was transferred from my job, and felt a great amount of anxiety and stress. Feeling of fear and dread on a daily basis, and feeling like I was having a heart attack many different times including at a family Christmas dinner. I was a 54 year old male, father of two that could not be weak, I was counted on by many loved ones, but felt like there was nothing I could do. So I met with my doctor, she was very open to what I was feeling and asked me what I thought was happening. I told her my symptoms and what I needed to do. Putting me on Effexor"

Lower/slower December 7, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I feel it's important to share because as a mom I was on line in the middle of the night searching for answers for my daughter. She is 13 and has anxiety. At 4 she had night terrors and then would pass out with any pain. She started to be difficult to take to school in 4th grade due to the fear of throwing up. She was put on Lexapro after my great hesitation as she was so young. It helped a little. When 7th grade hit her body was 2 seconds from fight or flight. Frequent panic attacks were long and exhausting. Long story short she had genetic testing done and Effexor was on her list of Med's that should work. She is like night and day after around four weeks. Its about finding the right med for you. Genetic testing is a start."

Jellybean04 November 30, 2017

"This drug has changed my life for the better I have been on and off anxiety drugs for 30 years would come off them for a few years and the anxiety and panic would always return. After 2 years on citalopram came off went 2 years being off them then anxiety returned went sertraline what a nightmare after 2 months stopped because of very bad side effects after 4 weeks went back on for 3 months suffered really bad again phoned Docs changed me to venlafaxine 75 mg slow release sat and looked at them for a month terrified. Eventually phoned Docsb who put me straight. I took them and what a difference I am alive again and no problems 10 out of 10 saved my life and life is good again never felt so good. After 30 years this is the one for me. Thx. Do not be afraid of this"

diddyuk November 28, 2017

"This medicine worked very good for my anxiety. I took it for 4 days, but as a newlywed the side effects were too much. I had no sex drive and it woke me up at 3am and I couldn't go back to sleep. I stopped taking it as soon as I realized these two issues. I was on the 37.5 dosage."

pookie1984444 November 2, 2017

"HELP! I dont know what to do... I recently was prescribed Venlafaxine 37.5 and am afraid to take it. I am male 54 recently divorced and have been struggling with severe anxiety/panic attacks. The attacks come on so strong I have physically "blacked out" and fell to the floor. I have been in a "emotional hurricane" for almost 1 year since the divorce. I originally was prescribed Busiphrone (sp) and Espicalipram(sp). Severe suicidal thoughts, and suicide attempt. I am at my wits end. I have job pressure, life struggles, relationship issues. If there are any men out there who can advise .. please help!"

WTF !!! October 18, 2017

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffered from depression and anxiety all through university. Effexor helped me finish my degree and I couldn't be happier. Everyone can react differently, just pay attention to your body."

Monst (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

"I have taken venlafaxine for roughly 4 years now. It still works great for my anxiety. I take 75mg twice a day and it nicely keeps obsessions and anxiety under control. Keep your mind open and keep looking for the right med for you."

chgoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

"I have tried quite a few antidepressants (fluoxetine, citalopram, trazadone, quetiapine amatryptaline,) but they all seemed to have side affects that I couldn't handle. I was prescribed venlafaxine XL 75mg twice a day. The start was pretty intense I suffered clenched jaw, constant yawning and excessive sweating however I kept taking them for a month and the side affects slowed right down. I think the worse side affect long term is insomnia, forget having a cat nap in the afternoon because you'll pay the price at night. The good points are that my life is actually feeling normal. My anxiety has gotten fewer and fewer to not having any. I can face the world and I can smile again. This drug has probably saved my life. I'm me again ☺️"

Toughtimesdontlast (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2017

"My son was prescribed 75 mg venlafaxine by his physician for anxiety and depression. He had many of the side effects for 18 months without realizing it was from the drug. Excessive burping, yawning, insomnia, mood swings, and tremors. He stopped taking them and after 8 days had a manic episode from the withdrawals. He was hospitalized in ICU for 4 days. It almost killed him. Do not take an anti-psychotic or anti-depressant drug without a diagnosis from a psychiatrist. This type of drug must be monitored weekly by a professional. After follow up care with a psychiatrist said he has probably never been depressed but had situational anxiety disorder from the pressure of college. He now has PTSS from the experience getting off the drug."

Parent of Suvivor (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 2, 2017