User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!"

momof4minions August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been a Godsend for me. I went through every med out there to control my depression and anxiety attacks. I have been on it now for 11 years, and it's still working just fine. I'm not saying every day is roses and rainbows, but, if I can have 6 out of 7 days positive, it's a far cry better than 7 out of 7 horrible."

MudBug (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Only take Effexor if you want to be on it for life. The withdrawal lasted 3 months for me. I think my body and mind are permanently damaged from this drug. It helped anxiety by numbing me but at the same time, made me more depressed at times."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medication strongly relieved my depression/anxiety. After having a horrible experience with sertraline, I was wary of trying a new drug. However, this drug has been a lifesaver and I'm so glad I continued to try medication. It made me functional and able to enjoy life again (--: I did experience some side effects for the first two months, including: lack of appetite, weight loss, sleep disturbances, and difficulty achieving orgasm. These effects faded though, and now the only time I experience anything negative is if I miss a dose. Do NOT try this medication if you cannot adhere to a strict regimen. The withdrawal symptoms after missing a dose are unpleasant. That said, don't be afraid of this drug! Take it as directed and it works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Apart from wanting to sleep a lot in afternoon finding great results found it best taking it at 10pm"

Kiwichicky123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "First off, I want to say I never take the time to write reviews however I do end up myself reading everyone else's so I hope this helps someone! I'm 22 Female, and for about 4 years suffered from anxiety. First it started off as panic anxiety then with failure of trying medications Prozac, Zoloft, and lexapro, my head was just so much worse. I could feel the chemical imbalance I began getting daily depression and anxiety to the point I'd worry 24/7. It ruined relationships & made me seem crazy. I finally got on Effexor last month. CHANGED MY LIFE. I feel NORMAL again. Happy, no anxiety, energetic. Only side effects were yawning, vivid dreams, & at first jaw pain. I highly suggest this with panic/daily anxiety/depression mix! My fears are gone"

THISCHANGEDMYLIFEFORTHEBETTER July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I recommend it for those who struggle with fears panic attacks social anxiety. It's really helpful after 1 month u will find it very helpful- it changed my life."

wisso (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Scary for me, took my first pill gave me tremors, couldn't sleep, kept pressing my hands and feet into my bed, my anxiety was out of control, and I was up all night ended up calling two friends and my mom and told them my pupils were extremely huge and I felt like I was on speed and I was freaking out wanted to go to the ER, felt completely out of body. Doctor told me to stop taking it ASAP and switched me to prozac, I have had the prescription. For a week and am scared to take it, I cannot have those same side effects, I thought I might die, the effects lasted 5 days eventually on the next day of being off I was able to sleep but I would wake up in the morning disoriented and depressed. I also still has muscle spasms. Will try prozac though"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on effexor 37.5 mg for 2 years. Worked wonders! I slowly weaned myself off it 6 months ago with minimal side effects. My anxiety has crept up on me again so I have decided to go back on it. I'm on a low dose but it works for me."

Sofieeeeee July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This changed my life. For 20 years I have been prescribed so many things and they all seemed to make me feel crazy. After having my son it got worse and I never wanted to leave the house. I have tried exercise, natural therapies, everything but I swear the chemicals are just not right in my head. I always felt lost, like every small thing mattered too much. I started on 75mg before sitting on 150mg for a year and a half. I have been so much happier and chilled out. Not worrying all the time. I have sleep apnea too so I am not sure if it's made my sleep worse as it's already pretty bad. My mind never stops. I felt myself losing control of my life lately due to huge stress at work and small kids. 225mg has evened me out and feel good :)"

NikNak7 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Effexor XR about 10 years ago, for those last 10 years I have struggled with IBS-D. I would like to go off this drug but it has terrible withdrawal symptoms, and I've read the withdrawal can last for years after getting off this drug. When I read that people were taking the medication I think is causing my IBS to treat their IBS I was shocked. I'm glad if it works for them, but I wish I had never taken this drug."

Brodyv May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took this pill once at 37.5mg to start my regimen. I got serotonin syndrome and was hospitalized. Steer clear from this medicine."

Tari567 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It makes me tired and it does get caught up in my throat with water so have drink with coffee anyway it gives me hot flashes and also I can't remember simple everyday things since I been this!!!!"

Angela4141 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this drug causes fluid retention in breasts in men, also it gave me serious constipation it was terrible, bloated belly, maybe it gave me slight hangover like feeling next day after I took it this drug gave me manic episodes and withdrawal was terrible, I would never recommend this drug to anyone Went to my doctor he prescribed some medicine for constipation, I used it for a week and it was the terrible week, after that, I stopped taking it .Docs cannot do much but self-learning can"

Biskit March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It was efficient to have no anxiety. Except 2 weeks before my final exams, I"froze" = I had anxiety attacks. The big side effect was that it was extremely difficult to reach an orgasm / ejaculation + I lost more than 50 % of sex pleasure. Not good for couple life. Also I sweat A LOT during the night + big traumatizing nightmares if you forget your pills + I think I did sleep apnea + sleep paralysis. All those things at 75 mg. An other bad effect was that I became over confident / maniac. Also better to use Effexor than generics. The real brand seemed better for me"

kentum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Psych prescribed Venlafaxine, Neulactil + Mirtazapine (have been on Mirtazapine for 2 years). So far taking Venlafaxine I am energetic, I am thinking clearly, feel more confident & I am not emotional at all. I also noticed my appetite has reduced severely (I gained 16kgs on Mirtazapine). 5 days in I still have very minimal appetite, I am finding that I have a day where I am energetic and days where I am not. I often get a bit of euphoria but I am so far pleased with everything. I expect I will up the dosage eventually. Suicidal thoughts have been minimal but they're occur sporadically. I also have moments where I zone out but this may be because I am still getting used to the medication."

Janecitizen (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Venlafaxine for 10 years now and couldn't be happier. I see all the negative comments on here but you need to remember that these reviews are our experiences, how our bodies reacted, your body may react different. How many times have you changed meds in order to find the right one? It's no different with this one, well maybe a little because you need to lower your dosage slowly or you will get violently ill. I didn't refill my prescription in time and I was so miserable I had to go to the ER. I gained weight on Paxil but not on Effexor but some people do. Take all these reviews, evaluate, make a list of questions for your doctor and then decide if you want to give it a try."

Red1968 (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I was on Effexor a few years ago and got off of it because I was doing much better but now I am starting to get back on it, I'm on 37.5 and it's day 8 and I feel awful. Super anxious and can't eat, the thought of food makes me wanna puke. I'm really scared. Has anyone had this and does it go away? I don't remember having this the first time around :("

Allie 1987 March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Annoyingly, this drug elevates my baseline ability to tackle new things but makes old habits more addictive. Guess you can't expect a tablet to do it all. I find if I don't keep challenging myself to do more I soon end up feeling quite content sitting on my bum, then I'm right back at square one. The funniest thing is, I've had to repeat this mistake over and over because I've never really had adequate support along with the tablets. But what really matters is that it's kept me going. I'm just not looking forward to having my feelings temporarily amplified 10 fold when I come off it. But for what its worth, its not actually that bad - you just find yourself ill, sobbing at adverts and becoming mindbogglingly elated over the smallest things."

Chris53621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed 37.5mg xr once a day for anxiety. I read about people's experiences online and decided I'd try it for a week before judging. I lasted five days before quitting due to side effects. Noticeable fatigue, no appetite, difficulty concentrating, waking up in the night and being unable to fall asleep again, constipation, gas. This is not for me and I am glad I didn't take it long enough to experience withdrawal symptoms. My hunger came back the day I stopped taking it."

eflexor (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had depression, dissociation, mild OCD, & bad anxiety my entire life. After I found out my ex GF was triggering my dissociation to have odd sexual fantasies with me, my dis grew into dissociative identity disorder & my mild OCD grew into a terrible 3 type OCD. Cleaning, Counting, & Pure O. My dr prescribed me 1 Venlafaxine 150xr/day. Within a month, my 2 alts were gone, my anxiety was far less (almost non existent), my OCD was gone, and my depression was way less. When I go more than 2 days without my Ven, I get brain zaps & terrible anger. I have to hide away. It's masking my issues but I want to fix them. I also get night sweats and have trouble waking up. Both started when I started taking Ven. I don't recommend these. Avoid SNRIs!"

Sisi G (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hi, I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now. I feel a lot less anxious and generally happier. I've noticed some side effects, which I was expecting. So I thought I'd share my experience. Sweaty hands, blurred vision, nightmares, stomach ache / head ache, loss of appetite, weight loss, trouble sleeping, major increase of the the effects of alcohol. Those are just some of them."

firsttimeeffexor February 8, 2017