User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Only on this drug for 2-days, smallest dose, super nauseating and feel like my heart is going to explode. This is not good"

Rob (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

"Efexor is nothing short of a miracle. I had major anxiety after graduating from university. No appetite, racing thoughts/heartbeat, constant diarrhea. My doctor recommended I try Venlafaxine (effexor) at 37.5 mg/day for the first two weeks and 75 mg/day afterwards. It took about 5-6 weeks but the change was incredible. I haven't felt more like myself in years. I can think clearly again and have hopes for the future. I can cope with daily life. Side effects experienced include dry mouth, random headaches, and erectile dysfunction. After about 6 weeks these all went away though. I read the reviews (many of them horror stories) on here and thought this drug deserves a fair chance. Don't hesitate to try it. If it doesn't work, try something else! Ask your doctor to play around with dosage too as that makes a huge difference."

Andy August 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"I took it for 2 days and felt like I was having a constant panic attack. My pupils were like saucers and I was having shivers all over my body and covered in sweat when ever I closed my eyes. I had to take two days off work and get my prescription changed. My GP increased the Mirtazapine I was on previously instead. I felt immediately better after I stopped taking it. Unfortunately, I have taken it again by accident after getting my pills mixed up and have been up all night! For me personally, the most powerful drug I've taken, and with the most side effects. May work for you but I'd try other AD's first."

Nat (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

"Terrible drug, stay away. It heightened my anxiety symptoms tenfold..Just awful"

Teacake (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on and off this medication for years - it has been the one that has worked best for me always. I will start to feel I need more and try something else, but I always come back to Effexor XR. I take 37.5 mg. I have NEVER had a zap or cried when going off the medication or forgetting a dose, although I am on a low dose. It is what makes me feel the closest to normal of all the medications I have tried. I do have to say that Paxil was the first med I ever tried and it totally removed all anxiety, which was what I needed at that time, but I put on 40 lbs with it and have struggled with that weight ever since. I have come to understand that we all need a wee bit of anxiety in our lives or else what would be the catalyst to get out of bed or work out or be a better person. But when the anxiety becomes unhealthy some of us we need the help that only a medication can give us."

Gergerbear (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "People should say if they are male or female. It works differently on them. I think it works better for male"

Lisa March 30, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Had panic attacks for 21 years and eventually put on Effexor. What a relief would not give these up for all the tea in China fantastic"

Carmo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2018

"I’ve now been on venalflaxine for almost two months now and it has been a life saver. I was expecting very crippling anxiety and then depression because of the anxiety. I tried Lexapro (a SSRI) before and it made me in a manic state and terribly sick, so I was very hesitant of taking another medication but the SNRI has been working well. I was hit with side effects such as increased anxiety, foggy or high feelings for the first week or so. Now all I am seeing from this drug is a harder time having orgasms or no sex drive, insomnia, and the worst hangovers ever even after 1 glass of wine. But, reading reviews isn’t going to help especially if you’re hesitant about taking a anti anxiety or antidepressants because everyone has such different experiences. I’ve talked to people and they loved Lexapro and I thought I had the flu and I’m was a nightmare from it. And I’ve talked to people who hate venalflaxine and I love it."

Ari March 20, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I developed severe IBS-D and OCD anxiety symptoms building into agoraphobia, which became progressively worse, to include suicidal thoughts and led to a legitimate nervous breakdown. My doctor prescribed Effexor supplemented for a short time with Clonazepam to get through this period and I was able to within a few weeks. An overlooked effect of this drug is that my stomach issues improved CONSIDERABLY (75mg), while Zoloft had made it worse. I highly recommend this for anyone with IBS-D or OCD type anxiety symptoms. It is very difficult to wean off of, but I am now pregnant and have come down to 37.5mg by going down 12mg every 2 weeks with minimal side effects. A perinatal specialist recommended I not completely go off, just wean down. Though the baby has not been born yet, I had a comprehensive ultrasound done to check for birth defects and everything looks very healthy. Good luck and I hope this helps!"

Kris March 5, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on this drug for 2 weeks and am already in love with it. I feel like it’s balancing out something in my brain that has been broken a long time. I feel like if I’m not constantly struggling and fighting to lose weight the pounds just pile on. When I stop exercising while sick I gain everything back. I also have depression and anxiety. Most pills make me feel like a zombie. So since starting this drug I have lost almost ten pounds in 2 weeks. And I haven’t even tried! I am less hungry, like if I’m not hungry food doesn’t even look good. I was on vacation for one of the weeks I’ve been on Effexor and didn’t eat the healthiest, but did eat less. I haven’t exercised either, except for a few days here and there. I know it takes longer to see the real effects of the drug, but I’m already less anxious and the weight is just falling off. No bad side effects except a little constipation and a slight head ache the first week."

Rose March 1, 2018

"I can stress enough that this drug should be a LAST RESORT. The withdrawals are horrible, and the multitude of people stating such are not lying. I was warned about the withdrawals by my psychologist, so I asked my Dr that was prescribing this med. She said the withdrawal horror stories were not true - WRONG. She has never taken this drug - the stories are true. I was only on it for 2 months (it made me much much worse, not better) and am currently going through the withdrawal (day 4). It's absolutely awful, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, wanting to cry for no reason out of nowhere (I'm a 6'1" 215lb man!). Some people may have no other choice but I would exhaust ALL OTHER OPTIONS before allowing yourself to be put on this stuff. Eventually you will need to get off, and the longer your on it the harder that gets. Everyone is different, but scour the internet, you pretty much can't find ANYONE that stopped this stuff and didn't have issues."

FooHangIn March 1, 2018

"Effexor saved my life! I was unable to tolerate existing, and realized I wouldn't tolerate it much longer, I was gonna put a stop to it. I was anxious before, but this realization put it over the top. But then I remembered someone at a key time recommending Effexor, and asked my psych. for it. Problem solved! Anxiety gone! (Though actually it increased my anxiety a little and increased my ability to deal with it a lot, which is the same thing.)"

Neuromancer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took one dose Effexor and stopped because it’s bringing me to my knees and can’t sleep for a day now"

Ibrahimi January 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'll just rate this middle. It helped with my mood and anxiety some but at some point I started getting side effects my psych said happen to people in withdrawal - but I was taking the dose I was prescribed everyday, which was 150mg after being 75mg. It started getting really hard to get up and I always felt like I was beaten by a bag of oranges everywhere every night at some point upon waking. I'd want to wake up and even try to roll onto the floor but opening up my eyes and getting up were just... hard.I can't remember exactly what it was like but I truly did want to wake up. I would also just feel confused about simple things and had to really try to think to tell if I was sleepy at times or had low blood sugar since I have issues with *low* sugar levels"

nicknamerd001 January 3, 2018

"5 '9 175 lb guy. This drug worked really well at first for anxiety but I had a TON of side effects. I was working out a ton at the time, but this had an extreme increase to my metabolism. The first MONTH I lost TEN (10) lbs to 165. I regained it over time, but then I got lots of tingling in my legs. A permanent tingle. Had to stop it because of that. But it certainly was better at FIRST than prozac... which just made me feel like garbage."

Jer 68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 31, 2017