User Reviews for Venlafaxine systemic

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

"I've been on Venlafaxine for 1 day and normally I'd suffer through the side effects but because of my anxiety I've lost so much weight already I can't not eat anymore I'm only 105 now. I'm super nauseous, I can't sleep (cant stop thinking) and I'm extremely tired. I do feel like this medication will help me with my problems but at the state I'm in I can't do it..."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

"I was prescribed this to try and help my mild anxiety. Took my first dose before bed, the next morning I could not stand without everything spinning and becoming nauseous with cold sweats. Never remember feeling so dizzy before. I had to call in sick to work, and the doctor told me to stop immediately."

Mel (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

"I use it for OCD and anxiety, and it makes me feel normal."

Tiff (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2018

"I have been on this medication at 225mg for over 3 years. It has recently been increased to 300mg. I have anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and some PTSD. The Venlafaxine helps me to function. I expect without it I would be back in the mental hospital. I wish it was a cure, but it only reduces some of the symptoms."

Lucky (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

"My doc put me on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine XR for 7 days and then increased to 75 mg XR for about 2 months. The most significant difference that I noticed from the 75 mg was my social anxiety had just about disappeared. I would still get the occasional anxiety around people, but nowhere near as bad as it once was. Never would I have believed that my social anxiety would have improved. I was at 70% improvement at this point. A couple of weeks ago she increased my dosage to 112.5 mg XR to see if we could get additional improvement. I have to say that I think this drug is a miracle worker. I feel amazing! I have this zest for life and my self-confidence has improved drastically. I feel as though I can accomplish anything. My mood is better and I feel like I can manage my stress. The venlafaxine has changed my life for the better. Be patient and give it time - I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me."

Marie83 September 24, 2018

"I’ve been on 37.5mg Venaflaxine for 6 years. This prescription truly saved my life! I had such bad anxiety and panic attacks that wouldn’t go away with any form of relaxation or calming methods. This medicine took away my anxiety (which I still get anxiety at stressful times) just not as terrible as before. I like that I still have feelings and not numb to everything. It changed my life for the better! I hope this review helps someone in need, it truly helped me and brought me back to myself."

Liv September 24, 2018

"I bought the medication and I was terrified to start. After 3 months I eventually started taking it and the side effects were not good. Sweating and nausea. Headache. Bad taste in my mouth. I stopped after 2 days. I was re thinking because I needed to do something for my anxiety and the bad thoughts after my sister and mother passed away. I started again, today is my 4 pill and I feel much much better. I don’t feel much interest in drinking or eating. Still a bit of nausea but tolerable. It is a feeling of well being on my whole body. I found some peace. I am not sleepy or tired or nervous. I feel balanced. I am in 37.5mg. I hope my review helps. Probably every body react differently but for me this medication is heaven."

Ale (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Only on this drug for 2-days, smallest dose, super nauseating and feel like my heart is going to explode. This is not good"

Rob (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

"Efexor is nothing short of a miracle. I had major anxiety after graduating from university. No appetite, racing thoughts/heartbeat, constant diarrhea. My doctor recommended I try Venlafaxine (effexor) at 37.5 mg/day for the first two weeks and 75 mg/day afterwards. It took about 5-6 weeks but the change was incredible. I haven't felt more like myself in years. I can think clearly again and have hopes for the future. I can cope with daily life. Side effects experienced include dry mouth, random headaches, and erectile dysfunction. After about 6 weeks these all went away though. I read the reviews (many of them horror stories) on here and thought this drug deserves a fair chance. Don't hesitate to try it. If it doesn't work, try something else! Ask your doctor to play around with dosage too as that makes a huge difference."

Andy August 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"I took it for 2 days and felt like I was having a constant panic attack. My pupils were like saucers and I was having shivers all over my body and covered in sweat when ever I closed my eyes. I had to take two days off work and get my prescription changed. My GP increased the Mirtazapine I was on previously instead. I felt immediately better after I stopped taking it. Unfortunately, I have taken it again by accident after getting my pills mixed up and have been up all night! For me personally, the most powerful drug I've taken, and with the most side effects. May work for you but I'd try other AD's first."

Nat (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

"Terrible drug, stay away. It heightened my anxiety symptoms tenfold..Just awful"

Teacake (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on and off this medication for years - it has been the one that has worked best for me always. I will start to feel I need more and try something else, but I always come back to Effexor XR. I take 37.5 mg. I have NEVER had a zap or cried when going off the medication or forgetting a dose, although I am on a low dose. It is what makes me feel the closest to normal of all the medications I have tried. I do have to say that Paxil was the first med I ever tried and it totally removed all anxiety, which was what I needed at that time, but I put on 40 lbs with it and have struggled with that weight ever since. I have come to understand that we all need a wee bit of anxiety in our lives or else what would be the catalyst to get out of bed or work out or be a better person. But when the anxiety becomes unhealthy some of us we need the help that only a medication can give us."

Gergerbear (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "People should say if they are male or female. It works differently on them. I think it works better for male"

Lisa March 30, 2018