User Reviews for Venlafaxine systemic

Also known as: Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "5 years ago I got panic attacks. Thought I was dying! This created non stop anxiety insomnia etc. Couldn’t even function after this I was a wreck at 37 years old. This medication got me back into life. In about 3 weeks I was back on my feet. I bought a house and moved in with my girlfriend. I was on this medication 75mg a day for one year. Off for another year. Back on for the next. Then off again for a year. Today I have anxiety keeping me up for last few nights. I am starting on this medication again! Without this medication I would have not had a great last 5 years! Also currently I am starting to meditate as science shows it will physically change your brain! Wish everyone the best. Please remind yourselves it will get better!"

James bennett (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My panic attacks started in 2012 , I started taking Zoloft 50mg which was working well until 2018 when my panic attacks came back, and the worse was that my hands started shaking which I think can be side effects of Zoloft, since June 2018 my psychiatrist prescribed me Effexor XR, started 37.5 mg for 1 week and then 75mg and increased it to 112.5mg since August 2018. I am very happy, and I feel that it is working. Side effects were little nausea (If I take it with food it is much less ), sometimes I have headaches and in summer I was sweating a lot and some times I feel tachycardia. I believe tolerating the side effects are much easier than having panic attacks. The only problem that I have is may hands are still shaking specially when I am doing delicate things,"

Suzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2019

"I was taking sertraline for about 9 years for anxiety and panic disorder. Suddenly I had severe depression and sertraline stopped working. I tried different medications but was not able to recover completely. Venalafaxine worked great for me and all my residual symptoms are gone. I definitely recommend this drug."

Ram (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2019

"I just got switched to venlafaxine today for severe depression and panic attacks. I was beat and molested by my father for 15 years. I thought it was normal to be unhappy. I'm not taking all this unhappiness anymore .Thank you for giving me a heads up on this medication."

scared (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a 39 yr old female I took effexor XR @ 75 mg a day for the first and last time last night. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety and panic attacks . I took the medicine about 8:30 by 9 I felt very weird and anxious I went to sleep and woke up for work in a horrible state. I felt like I was coming off hard drugs. I was and still am shakey and having a hard time just walking around and functioning. I went to work and can't believe I drove they sent me straight home and followed me to make sure I made it safe. This medicine is way to intense for me it's 6 pm the next day and I still am struggling to get back to normal so I can work tomorrow. This medicine isn't for everyone."

Zeppelin (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

"I've been on Venlafaxine for 1 day and normally I'd suffer through the side effects but because of my anxiety I've lost so much weight already I can't not eat anymore I'm only 105 now. I'm super nauseous, I can't sleep (cant stop thinking) and I'm extremely tired. I do feel like this medication will help me with my problems but at the state I'm in I can't do it..."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

"I was prescribed this to try and help my mild anxiety. Took my first dose before bed, the next morning I could not stand without everything spinning and becoming nauseous with cold sweats. Never remember feeling so dizzy before. I had to call in sick to work, and the doctor told me to stop immediately."

Mel (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

"I use it for OCD and anxiety, and it makes me feel normal."

Tiff (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2018

"I have been on this medication at 225mg for over 3 years. It has recently been increased to 300mg. I have anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and some PTSD. The Venlafaxine helps me to function. I expect without it I would be back in the mental hospital. I wish it was a cure, but it only reduces some of the symptoms."

Lucky (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

"My doc put me on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine XR for 7 days and then increased to 75 mg XR for about 2 months. The most significant difference that I noticed from the 75 mg was my social anxiety had just about disappeared. I would still get the occasional anxiety around people, but nowhere near as bad as it once was. Never would I have believed that my social anxiety would have improved. I was at 70% improvement at this point. A couple of weeks ago she increased my dosage to 112.5 mg XR to see if we could get additional improvement. I have to say that I think this drug is a miracle worker. I feel amazing! I have this zest for life and my self-confidence has improved drastically. I feel as though I can accomplish anything. My mood is better and I feel like I can manage my stress. The venlafaxine has changed my life for the better. Be patient and give it time - I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me."

Marie83 September 24, 2018

"I’ve been on 37.5mg Venaflaxine for 6 years. This prescription truly saved my life! I had such bad anxiety and panic attacks that wouldn’t go away with any form of relaxation or calming methods. This medicine took away my anxiety (which I still get anxiety at stressful times) just not as terrible as before. I like that I still have feelings and not numb to everything. It changed my life for the better! I hope this review helps someone in need, it truly helped me and brought me back to myself."

Liv September 24, 2018

"I bought the medication and I was terrified to start. After 3 months I eventually started taking it and the side effects were not good. Sweating and nausea. Headache. Bad taste in my mouth. I stopped after 2 days. I was re thinking because I needed to do something for my anxiety and the bad thoughts after my sister and mother passed away. I started again, today is my 4 pill and I feel much much better. I don’t feel much interest in drinking or eating. Still a bit of nausea but tolerable. It is a feeling of well being on my whole body. I found some peace. I am not sleepy or tired or nervous. I feel balanced. I am in 37.5mg. I hope my review helps. Probably every body react differently but for me this medication is heaven."

Ale (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Only on this drug for 2-days, smallest dose, super nauseating and feel like my heart is going to explode. This is not good"

Rob (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

"Efexor is nothing short of a miracle. I had major anxiety after graduating from university. No appetite, racing thoughts/heartbeat, constant diarrhea. My doctor recommended I try Venlafaxine (effexor) at 37.5 mg/day for the first two weeks and 75 mg/day afterwards. It took about 5-6 weeks but the change was incredible. I haven't felt more like myself in years. I can think clearly again and have hopes for the future. I can cope with daily life. Side effects experienced include dry mouth, random headaches, and erectile dysfunction. After about 6 weeks these all went away though. I read the reviews (many of them horror stories) on here and thought this drug deserves a fair chance. Don't hesitate to try it. If it doesn't work, try something else! Ask your doctor to play around with dosage too as that makes a huge difference."

Andy August 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"I took it for 2 days and felt like I was having a constant panic attack. My pupils were like saucers and I was having shivers all over my body and covered in sweat when ever I closed my eyes. I had to take two days off work and get my prescription changed. My GP increased the Mirtazapine I was on previously instead. I felt immediately better after I stopped taking it. Unfortunately, I have taken it again by accident after getting my pills mixed up and have been up all night! For me personally, the most powerful drug I've taken, and with the most side effects. May work for you but I'd try other AD's first."

Nat (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

"Terrible drug, stay away. It heightened my anxiety symptoms tenfold..Just awful"

Teacake (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018