User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine

"This medication has changed my life. For those who have given negative reviews, maybe you were part group that it just doesn't work for. I was in a place that was really dark, not wanting to go on but for me Venlafaxine pulls me right out of the negative darkness. It’s amazing, but you have to absolutely give it at least 8 weeks. Don’t quit the first month and give up. You have to understand it is changing the brain chemicals in a positive way. Let it work it’s course and you will be a new person. At 150 mg. I never plan on going off this medicine so I don’t have to worry about withdrawals. This is not a short term medicine for me it is for the long term. I highly recommend this med, for people with severe anxiety or panic. Not occasional nervousness. Those who have it know what I mean!"

Alphadog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

"A few years back after experiencing major life changes and loss I started having anxiety. This escalated and became all consuming, I wouldn’t eat for days at a time, couldn’t sleep and thought this would be how I’d feel forever. I tried a lot of different medication and found Venlafaxine 300mg and pregabalin 75mg twice a day to calm me enough that I had counselling and saw a hypnotherapist. I can honestly say in the last year I’ve had zero anxiety. I no longer take pregabalin and I’m down to 150mg venlafaxine. It takes time and going into this drug or up in dose can be rough but stick with it! Take along side some form of therapy."

MeV (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2019

"This is the worst drug I have ever been on (and I say this as someone who has been on just about every SSRI/SNRI on the market). Two months into being on the drug and I am on sick leave with overwhelming anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. Now I am tapering off the drug and am experiencing brain zaps, paranoia and extreme agitation. This is not who I am and I don't like what Venlafaxine has made me become. Don't put yourself through this if at all possible."

SayNoToEffexor (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Stopped after first capsule. I had Nausea, headache, dizzy, disoriented, rise in blood pressure to 170/93, blurred vision, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, tightness in chest, caused onset of IBS. I couldn’t get out of bed for 36 hours."

jim7005 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

"I'm sharing my experience on venlafaxine because I felt it warranted a positive review. I've been taking lexapro for six years for premenopausal anxiety. It worked great until recently, my anxiety returned. My doc prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg, read reviews on this drug and was petrified of starting it but I did and I'm glad I did. Only side effects tingling in legs with slight headache on first day, nothing else since. Huge improvement in anxiety and mood. It's been a life saver"

Molly (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken this drug for almost 10 years. Dosage has varied from 37.5mg to 225mg. It is very effective for my depression and anxiety. Right now 75mg is working well. You need to taper slooooowly off this med. Continue getting your regular dose, open the capsule and remove 2-3 beads at a time, each week. It might take a year or more, but you won’t feel the physical withdrawals (much). This method has helped me find the right dose for me, for now. Taper down very, very, very slowly."

Sher (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2019

"Well, it's only been a week, so far so good. A bit light headed, and tired, but that's improving by the day. I'm taking 75mg in the morning, and one sertraline 100mg every other day, till I see my Dr., in 3 months to see if I can get off the every other day sertraline. I'll keep an update once a week."

Sunny (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was on 150mg for the past 3 years. I tried to get off them earlier last year to no avail for the withdrawals from this drug seem to be incredibly dangerous and life halting. For 2 months now I have been going down in dosage from 75mg to 37.50mg and now 0 mg. Throbbing shocks in my head, convulsions, bad stomach pains, nausea, mentally destroyed - random crying and rage from anything that catches my emotional attention (dropping a pencil etc). I do not recommend this drug. It may have helped me get through some hard times but in my honest opinion I feel this should be illegal. I have had to take time off from work for I cannot function appropriately."

Jeremy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Suffered from anxiety from a kid. Didn't get diagnosed until I was in my 30's. Was on Celexa for a couple years but found that it never really kept the episodes away. Doctor decided a switch to Effexor might help. The electrical shocks and the way it made my nerves feel was something else for a good 1 month or two before is started to calm down. Always feel on edge with this drug at 75 mg. Don't miss a dose or go to long between the 24 hours or you'll notice weird head episodes. I found taking it before bed was he best way for me. At one point doctor thought it might help going up to 150 but that sent me to hospital with serotonin syndrome, lasted 2 days. After 3 years I started having shaking and dizziness symptoms similar to someone with MS or Parkinsons along with other neurological issues. Noticing the symptoms are worse close to the time of needing to take the next dose. Looking to get off the medication this year."

Levi (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I came to be on this drug in January 2018. I suffered from panic attacks and GAD. I felt horrible, I lost all my motivation and I was scared being crazy. I started with Effexor XR 37.5 mg for a week. Then I switch to 75 mg XR. The first month was the worst. Dizziness, akathisia, more panic attacks, sleepiness, my nerves were cracking. After 3 weeks all the side effects were gone and I started to feel better. Every day a little better. Now I am a new person! My husband is happier than me! Psychotherapy improved the effect of the drug. I really suggest to complement the drug treatment with psychotherapy. What I suggest is to resist quitting in the first month...it's always darkest before the dawn!"

sara90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "5 years ago I got panic attacks. Thought I was dying! This created non stop anxiety insomnia etc. Couldn’t even function after this I was a wreck at 37 years old. This medication got me back into life. In about 3 weeks I was back on my feet. I bought a house and moved in with my girlfriend. I was on this medication 75mg a day for one year. Off for another year. Back on for the next. Then off again for a year. Today I have anxiety keeping me up for last few nights. I am starting on this medication again! Without this medication I would have not had a great last 5 years! Also currently I am starting to meditate as science shows it will physically change your brain! Wish everyone the best. Please remind yourselves it will get better!"

James bennett (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My panic attacks started in 2012 , I started taking Zoloft 50mg which was working well until 2018 when my panic attacks came back, and the worse was that my hands started shaking which I think can be side effects of Zoloft, since June 2018 my psychiatrist prescribed me Effexor XR, started 37.5 mg for 1 week and then 75mg and increased it to 112.5mg since August 2018. I am very happy, and I feel that it is working. Side effects were little nausea (If I take it with food it is much less ), sometimes I have headaches and in summer I was sweating a lot and some times I feel tachycardia. I believe tolerating the side effects are much easier than having panic attacks. The only problem that I have is may hands are still shaking specially when I am doing delicate things,"

Suzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2019

"I was taking sertraline for about 9 years for anxiety and panic disorder. Suddenly I had severe depression and sertraline stopped working. I tried different medications but was not able to recover completely. Venalafaxine worked great for me and all my residual symptoms are gone. I definitely recommend this drug."

Ram (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2019

"I just got switched to venlafaxine today for severe depression and panic attacks. I was beat and molested by my father for 15 years. I thought it was normal to be unhappy. I'm not taking all this unhappiness anymore .Thank you for giving me a heads up on this medication."

scared (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am a 39 yr old female I took effexor XR @ 75 mg a day for the first and last time last night. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety and panic attacks . I took the medicine about 8:30 by 9 I felt very weird and anxious I went to sleep and woke up for work in a horrible state. I felt like I was coming off hard drugs. I was and still am shakey and having a hard time just walking around and functioning. I went to work and can't believe I drove they sent me straight home and followed me to make sure I made it safe. This medicine is way to intense for me it's 6 pm the next day and I still am struggling to get back to normal so I can work tomorrow. This medicine isn't for everyone."

Zeppelin (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

"I've been on Venlafaxine for 1 day and normally I'd suffer through the side effects but because of my anxiety I've lost so much weight already I can't not eat anymore I'm only 105 now. I'm super nauseous, I can't sleep (cant stop thinking) and I'm extremely tired. I do feel like this medication will help me with my problems but at the state I'm in I can't do it..."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

"I was prescribed this to try and help my mild anxiety. Took my first dose before bed, the next morning I could not stand without everything spinning and becoming nauseous with cold sweats. Never remember feeling so dizzy before. I had to call in sick to work, and the doctor told me to stop immediately."

Mel (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

"I use it for OCD and anxiety, and it makes me feel normal."

Tiff (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2018

"I have been on this medication at 225mg for over 3 years. It has recently been increased to 300mg. I have anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and some PTSD. The Venlafaxine helps me to function. I expect without it I would be back in the mental hospital. I wish it was a cure, but it only reduces some of the symptoms."

Lucky (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

"My doc put me on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine XR for 7 days and then increased to 75 mg XR for about 2 months. The most significant difference that I noticed from the 75 mg was my social anxiety had just about disappeared. I would still get the occasional anxiety around people, but nowhere near as bad as it once was. Never would I have believed that my social anxiety would have improved. I was at 70% improvement at this point. A couple of weeks ago she increased my dosage to 112.5 mg XR to see if we could get additional improvement. I have to say that I think this drug is a miracle worker. I feel amazing! I have this zest for life and my self-confidence has improved drastically. I feel as though I can accomplish anything. My mood is better and I feel like I can manage my stress. The venlafaxine has changed my life for the better. Be patient and give it time - I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me."

Marie83 September 24, 2018

"I’ve been on 37.5mg Venaflaxine for 6 years. This prescription truly saved my life! I had such bad anxiety and panic attacks that wouldn’t go away with any form of relaxation or calming methods. This medicine took away my anxiety (which I still get anxiety at stressful times) just not as terrible as before. I like that I still have feelings and not numb to everything. It changed my life for the better! I hope this review helps someone in need, it truly helped me and brought me back to myself."

Liv September 24, 2018

"I bought the medication and I was terrified to start. After 3 months I eventually started taking it and the side effects were not good. Sweating and nausea. Headache. Bad taste in my mouth. I stopped after 2 days. I was re thinking because I needed to do something for my anxiety and the bad thoughts after my sister and mother passed away. I started again, today is my 4 pill and I feel much much better. I don’t feel much interest in drinking or eating. Still a bit of nausea but tolerable. It is a feeling of well being on my whole body. I found some peace. I am not sleepy or tired or nervous. I feel balanced. I am in 37.5mg. I hope my review helps. Probably every body react differently but for me this medication is heaven."

Ale (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018