User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Venlafaxine for 10 years now and couldn't be happier. I see all the negative comments on here but you need to remember that these reviews are our experiences, how our bodies reacted, your body may react different. How many times have you changed meds in order to find the right one? It's no different with this one, well maybe a little because you need to lower your dosage slowly or you will get violently ill. I didn't refill my prescription in time and I was so miserable I had to go to the ER. I gained weight on Paxil but not on Effexor but some people do. Take all these reviews, evaluate, make a list of questions for your doctor and then decide if you want to give it a try."

Red1968 (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I was on Effexor a few years ago and got off of it because I was doing much better but now I am starting to get back on it, I'm on 37.5 and it's day 8 and I feel awful. Super anxious and can't eat, the thought of food makes me wanna puke. I'm really scared. Has anyone had this and does it go away? I don't remember having this the first time around :("

Allie 1987 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Annoyingly, this drug elevates my baseline ability to tackle new things but makes old habits more addictive. Guess you can't expect a tablet to do it all. I find if I don't keep challenging myself to do more I soon end up feeling quite content sitting on my bum, then I'm right back at square one. The funniest thing is, I've had to repeat this mistake over and over because I've never really had adequate support along with the tablets. But what really matters is that it's kept me going. I'm just not looking forward to having my feelings temporarily amplified 10 fold when I come off it. But for what its worth, its not actually that bad - you just find yourself ill, sobbing at adverts and becoming mindbogglingly elated over the smallest things."

Chris53621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed 37.5mg xr once a day for anxiety. I read about people's experiences online and decided I'd try it for a week before judging. I lasted five days before quitting due to side effects. Noticeable fatigue, no appetite, difficulty concentrating, waking up in the night and being unable to fall asleep again, constipation, gas. This is not for me and I am glad I didn't take it long enough to experience withdrawal symptoms. My hunger came back the day I stopped taking it."

eflexor (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had depression, dissociation, mild OCD, & bad anxiety my entire life. After I found out my ex GF was triggering my dissociation to have odd sexual fantasies with me, my dis grew into dissociative identity disorder & my mild OCD grew into a terrible 3 type OCD. Cleaning, Counting, & Pure O. My dr prescribed me 1 Venlafaxine 150xr/day. Within a month, my 2 alts were gone, my anxiety was far less (almost non existent), my OCD was gone, and my depression was way less. When I go more than 2 days without my Ven, I get brain zaps & terrible anger. I have to hide away. It's masking my issues but I want to fix them. I also get night sweats and have trouble waking up. Both started when I started taking Ven. I don't recommend these. Avoid SNRIs!"

Sisi G (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hi, I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now. I feel a lot less anxious and generally happier. I've noticed some side effects, which I was expecting. So I thought I'd share my experience. Sweaty hands, blurred vision, nightmares, stomach ache / head ache, loss of appetite, weight loss, trouble sleeping, major increase of the the effects of alcohol. Those are just some of them."

firsttimeeffexor February 8, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Before anyone agrees to taking Effexor (venlafaxine), please look at the withdrawl symptoms. The symptoms and experience has been likened to heroin or opiate addiction withdrawl. Please do your research and regardless of what your doctor tells you, THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES! I hope this helps someone."

TrySomethingElse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I believe this medication saved my life. I did feel extremely sleepy at first while my dosage was being raised but that went away quickly. I have a new feeling of wanting to get up and do things that wasn't there before. I also feel a sense of calm and peacefulness. The only side effects so far that were troublesome is constipation and sometimes it's hard to concentrate if someone is speaking."

Ceriidwen January 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've suffered from severe panic disorder since I was 10. I am 45 now. I was on 200mg of Zoloft for 18 years. It took away my anxiety, but also took away any motivation. I was a zombie for all of those years and slept all the time. My new Dr. suggested switching to Effexor. I was afraid that it wouldn't work and my panic would come back. I was so wrong. After a week on 37.5 mg, my energy was back and anxiety still gone. I'm on 75mg. I can't believe I stayed on Zoloft so long! I can think and do things again! I don't sleep all the time. Everyone reacts differently. If this med doesn't work for you, I'm sure there is one that will. Wish I would've switched sooner. No side effects at all!"

What's anxiety? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was on this med for 5 years. Worked fine but not great. Stopped the panic attacks and gave me relief of every day nervousness that I was experiencing. Took months for the side effects to diminish when I first started taking it. What did not leave - insomnia, night sweats, lack of sex drive and poor orgasms (or no orgasms at all)."

B123456 December 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have had terrible anxiety driven depression my entire life. Effexor is an amazing medication. I waited until I was in my late 30's to do something about my anxiety/depression because of the stigma and fear of taking anything that might make me go crazy (the anxiety talking). I was a fool to wait so long. None of my fears materialized. As soon as I started the medication I began to feel better and better. I was also prescribed Kolozopin to act as a bridge to get through the anxiety until everything began to work and fall into place. Do NOTe wait hoping things will pass! I was convinced I was the worst case scenario and I got better. Just do it and get treated"

RichGB55 December 15, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"We moved to VA after 3 years on orders and my Anxiety came back. My anxiety was situational. I had a refill left on my Zoloft. I filled it but it didn't work like the first time. Everything felt constricted. Nothing seemed clear to me. I tried Venlafaxine after crying to my doctor and I have been extremely happy. I will say, just like the other reviews mentioned, if you miss a dose, it's horrible. The dizziness, anxiety, foggy thoughts are severe. I'm on 75 mg and feel great."

No regrets!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Just an FYI. Not all anxiety medications work for everyone. This one works amazingly for me but works horribly for a good friend of mine. She took a test to determine what medication was best for her and was able to find the best match. If you are on a medication that isn't working don't give up hope, ask to do the test and try something until you find one that works for you. If your doctor isn't accommodating look for another one. Cheers."

feeling Way better December 7, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for about 12 years now. I have spent my life fighting debilitating anxiety and depression. I would have panic attacks, horrible downward spiraling thoughts, extreme negativity, physical symptoms such as shaking, and could even lose touch with reality in severe episodes of depression. No amount of behavioral therapy and monitoring of a diet, exercise, or treatment plan would make a dent in my anxiety. Within weeks of taking Effexor XR, I finally had a chance to understand what it is like to live without terrible anxiety. I haven't really experienced any negative side effects, except perhaps hot flashes and night sweats. Life is finally manageable. I am thankful for every day I have, now, thanks to Effexor."

Nanci G December 3, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have major depression....was taking Prozac 40 mg a day and it just stopped working for me. I have started Effexor XR 150 mg twice a day with some sleeping pills at night....In such a short amount of time I feel so much better! Life changing better! Depression is horrible and all consuming and pray that every person trying to get help does....and at least for me I have found stimulants of any kind are not good....because the crash or comedown is more than I can handle with my underlying depression."

Invu4uraqt December 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I highly suggest people not try this medication. I was only on it for 8 weeks and had horrible memory problems that I am still working through. This medication has caused me to be out of work for going on 7 months now. The doctors keep telling me it not this medication, but I know it is since this is the only anxiety med I took that caused memory problems. The prescribing doctor made no mention of memory loss as a side effect. I am on a special diet now to stimulate my memory, along with going to therapy to get my memory back. Scariest time of my life. I feel like a zombie right now."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Are these outlandish reviews of whole years being forgotten solely due to Venlafaxine, actually serious? That seems ridiculously unrealistic. I am on 225mg per day and if I'm late taking a dose I get the weird zaps and dizziness etc. But it does do a pretty good job on very severe anxiety and depression. Coming off it will be hard but I have been recommended a good 3-month plan for it. I have noticed that not all actual packs of tablets are as good as others though, I don't know how this can be!?"

Flossleberry November 21, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It completely stopped my anxiety I was suffering from for years....it gave me my life back. I took 75mg 1 time a day. For 9yrs. That dose worked for me. I tried higher doses and lower ones with no success. I have been off them now for 1year. I have no side affects from them. I also don't have anxiety like I did before starting them."

Mike Click44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've read that this stuff isn't as bad as some of the others. This is my first time on anxiety of meds, and I'll admit, I do not like it at all. The only pro for me is it helps me sleep better at night. But theres been more cons for me. It makes me nauseous with hunger which makes me more irritable. Once every few day, I'll be sent into a tunnel vision spell which varies on its length of time. And its reduced my ability to perform well in bed. All in all, its not the worst of the side effects, it still feels like hell to me, so I'm going to work on getting off of them"

Bowlofarthritus (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016