User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffer from GAD and I have to say this medication has changed my life.. I am much happier and handle situations better. I only take 37.5 one per day usually in the morning and that works for me. The only side effects was insomnia In the beginning but now I feel calm and relaxed and I have great nights sleep. I wake up energized and wanting to start my day. This medication with therapy has done wonders. Ignore the negative and try for yourself . Reading reviews I was so scared to start this medication but I thank God I gave it a try."

Tip89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So, I was a 18 years old perfectly healthy and in good shape, but I was severely depressed and with some emotional issues. So I went to therapy (good decision) but she told that I was supposed to take something for my mood, so I started effexor, and have almost no side effects from it but also didn't really improved my mood, so I went to the highest dosage since I didn't had side effects, and after 8 months on it i just went cold turkey(i know) and basically i had over 100 side effects ever since its been over a year and i still have side effects, i could not sleep for days, i went hypomaniac, and MUCH more to this day i feel pain and numbness in my body and severe coordination and cognitive problems nothing seems to get better."

Fernandorna September 22, 2016

"I was on Effexor XR (generic brand) for about 6 weeks. I am in the process of tapering off (It's NOT as bad as some people say.) While this medication did help tremendously with, both, anxiety and depression, it had its fair share of side effects that I could not live with: it exacerbated my migraines, made me feel a bit "numb" and unmotivated, and interrupted my sleep/caused me to oversleep, missing many appointments for therapy. This medication WAS helpful but it also caused harm. No major side effects when starting except headache, dizziness and nausea. The dizziness passed after 1 month."

missschris (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

"I have been on several meds since I can remember. Altven medication works BUT the night sweating is unbearable. What can I do about it?"

story of my life September 19, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for several weeks now (Effexor XR 37.5mg daily) and it has helped me a lot more than the Celexa I was on. Although recently (within the last 10 or so days) I have experienced very mild headaches that last a long time and feeling fatigued all day. Caffeine doesn't help and extra sleep doesn't help. I've had problems with fatigue all my life but this feels different. I am not sure if this is related to the medication because I have not had any side effects and I've been on this medication for almost a month now."

smh1094 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started effexor after citalopram stopped working for anxiety and depression, been taking it for 3 years, was up to 150mg, tapered down to 37.5mg, slowly over 6 months, mainly because of weight gain, and feeling more calm, No problems in reducing, but am reluctant to go lower in case of a relapse, has anyone lost weight after reducing the dose, or do you have to come off completely ? I rate effexor, except for weight gain, and sweating, the only med that has made me function normally,"

lily 1 September 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "No pill is for everyone, but this medication honestly changed my life. I am 23 and have been on it since I was 17. Before it, I was miserable, couldn't focus, and constantly wanted to die. I struggle with GAD and Depression, and this medication has honestly been the only thing to make it bearable. My life feels manageable, and I know I can conquer anything. I interact with people in a way that represents who I really am, not in a way that reflects my anxieties and insecurities. I almost didn't finish high school before Effexor and I now have a BA in Political Science and am heading off to law school. Like I said, this medication isn't for everyone, but it honestly changed my life and I will forever be grateful."

EmilyMichelle September 11, 2016

"I have had random panic attacks and anxiety since I was 21 years old. I had a bunch of problems and couldn't figure it out. Randomly one day I looked up anxiety. I was put on Venlafaxine which is Effexor. I would recommend Effexor or Venlafaxine for people who have anxiety. Yes every medicine has its downsides but there are more upside to this medicine then there are down to me. But one thing I will agree with everybody else is that the withdrawals are completely hell compared to anything that you have ever seen. But on the upside it help for the lot of problems that come with anxiety. Also it is hard to sleep on but that's fine I would rather not be able to sleep so well then be freaking out all the time."

T.pullen (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 8, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Do not take this medication! There is NO other medication for depression/anxiety that has withdrawal symptoms that put you in excruciating pain! You become a person without feelings, almost hard hearted on this medication! Please please have your Dr. try other meds first! I am so angry that I trusted my psychiatrist! I feel betrayed! Thank God I have my general Doctor who is spending more time with me to help me get off of this medication!"

unhappy4effexor September 8, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I told myself I'd come back and write a review if I liked Effexor, because people tend to only write reviews if they don't like it, and that's scary for someone who is trying to figure out whether to try it or not. This was the first medication I've tried to treat my chronic GAD. Before Effexor, I was living in a state of constant panic and anxiety. It was really awful, and I felt like I couldn't continue much longer without completely breaking down. I'm now 3 months in, and it has helped so much. I am still myself and I have anxious thoughts, but there is no longer that sense of panic and overwhelming fear. I feel like I did pre-anxiety and its wonderful. Everyone reacts differently, but have hope! Medication can work!"

Jon Sullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Stay away from sharp objects!! 2 months on 37.5MG Effexor - feels like my attention is limited to a single train of thought. I can't do more than one thing at once without risking personal injury. Clumsily shredded myself bloody more than ever in my life while on this med. Doors and fridge cut my feet open because I literally cannot pay attention to the fridge door if I'm looking at the contents of fridge or don't see screen door closing on me while carrying something in from outside. Haven't been cooking much but the one time I tried I burned green beans in the pan. It makes me sleep 16h/day. If I get up before 2pm I can't trust myself to drive. 2 close calls were enough. Social anxiety is worse than before. Only 37.5 MG!! Need a change"

gottashare4u (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on 150 mg daily of Effexor after having a mental breakdown brought on by stress and severe insomnia. I did not find the medication helped at all other then to cause weight gain. Worst of all, I experienced horrific withdrawal symptoms coming off it. I started to wean off it in May, reducing the dose to 75mg/day. I halved it to 37.5mg a month ago and my Dr said I would be good to stop it after two weeks. Within 24 hours of taking my last pill I experienced dizziness, nausea, insomnia, and brain zaps. I could barely function. Turns out the 'half-life' of Effexor is one of the shortest out there. I had to take a short 2 week course of 10 mg Prozac (much longer short life) to come off Effexor. Horrible!!"

ByGrace2016 August 31, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This may be an isolated incident, but I only took this medication for 6 weeks and had horrible memory loss. I was unaware that there is a 44% chance of memory loss with this medication. I am trying to work my way back to my old self, who used to have a photographic memory. I highly suggest if you have severe anxiety like I do, do not take this medication."

X August 29, 2016

"kidney started to show reduced ability. Sweating so profuse during exercise or even vacuuming I have to drink so much water and finally stop too dizzy or tired of sweating. Sweating got worse coinciding with doubling of dose from 75 to 150. Subsequently gaining 50lbs. over 4 years of it. But only recently saw correlation with venaflaxine . Missing one dose has horrendous reaction of dizziness and ears and vision effects and headache. Even taking every day get morning headaches even though I was never one to get headaches before also it's help has worn off"

? no August 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have tried zoloft and cymbalta. All equally effective in my anxiety level but I find effexor has been the best. While I still don't have a ton of energy, I was a zombie on the other two. My libido is back to normal and I'm not hungry 24/7. Zoloft would be my second choice, except I needed to nap everyday and I was always hungry. Cymbalta was very difficult to get off of and I was also very tired. Negative effects of effexor include insomnia - i have urges where i HAVE to get up- but usually melatonin and reading, and NO electronics before bed help that (or xanax as needed.) I also sweat a lot more on it. But having more energy and more libido make it worth it. I have to take a beta blocker because I speak infront of people."

Social phobia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have taken Effexor for twenty-five years. I take 75 milligrams at night. I sleep like a baby even though I am 70 and most women my age have some sleep issues. I actually was diagnosed with adult ADD and prescribed the medication for that. I also had anxiety, a hair trigger anger problem, and no social filter. My psychciatrist didn't tell me all that, just that I had ADD. I could accept meds for that. The Effexor started to work within a week and I would not be without it. I like myself a lot better today than before Effexor."

Hudit (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

"This was the worst experience of my life. I have really bad anxiety and my doctor perscribed one 37.5 mg a day. I took it for the first time and got extremely nauseas. I noticed my hands were shaking and I was clenching my jaw and neck uncontrallably. I found myself to have no appetite and with my stomach troubles this is an issue. Later in the day I tried to eat, and couldn't hold any food down. I did feel calm, so it helped with my anxiety, but all the side effects just arnt worth it. This med is poison for me."

Kaikai185 August 9, 2016

"If I could give this drug a minus ... I would. The reasons are simple: - It has mild effects when it comes down to relieving anxiety - It has profound effects on my sexual function - It is extremely effective at giving me hell when trying to get off it - It could be used as an effective drug used to induce vomiting This drug is truly deplorable in every sense and should not be fit for consumption by human beings."

olowe07 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

"I had ate alventa 75mg for 4 months and yet had anxiety and elevated heart rate. But,my sleep is good"

Ahmad agha August 4, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I took this pill one day and that was all I needed to, I took it at 5:30 pm and was fine, until I wanted to sleep. I tossed and turned all night, my heart racing, I was literally so tired but my mind just would not shut down. Those things they call brain zaps are terrifying, DO NOT TAKE THIS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

"After many months spent being given ten different types of antidepressants which none agreed with me my Dr suggested Venlafaxine 37.5 twice a day but I personally found it too much ( turned me into a Zombie) so we agreed on one 37.5 dosage daily slowly but surly it has given me my life back no major side effects other than insomnia .... Darkness is all I could see before venlafaxine 10/10 highly recommended"

Nadsboo11 July 25, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking velaflaxine (Effexor) about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started on half of a 75 mg pill and now have moved up to a full pill. At first you experience some side effects like loss of appetite, fast heart beat, hot flashes and a little numbness down below. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently. After almost three weeks of taking it I already feel relief. My anxiety is getting better and better, and I sleep so much better at night cause I can actually relax for once! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I feel after two months of taking it. If you are willing to pressure through the rough side effects then the benefits are so worth it!"

Cmv2550 July 19, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016