User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Panic Disorder

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "MY EXPERIENCE with Effexor XR vs Prozac 1) EXR eliminates ALL PANIC ATTACKS 2) Prozac eliminates ALL OBSESSIVE THINKING 3) Prozac made me sleep like a fat cat even tho I RARELY ate, and I gained a ton of weight when I was only 106 lbs to start. 4) EXR did not cause me weight gain (or loss) however it made me very irritable and I caught myself clenching my jaw all day, however had a lot more energy than Prozac. 5) BOTH meds I used over 12 weeks to make a fair comparison. 6) I saw a bio-identical hormones therapist to see what's going on. No clear cut answers. So here is my thought. You're a normal person being a normal life with a normal energy level. You take Prozac and Wham! You're sleeping 10 hours a day............................."

SouthernSummer August 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Prior to starting this medication I couldn't drive in the car by myself anymore, I could barely go into the convenient store by myself without having a panic attack. After searching for a doctor that could help me I landed the best psychiatrist who prescribed me Effexor. I started with a low dose and was also taken Ativan as a crutch to get through until the Effexor worked. Before starting this I swore that I would never regain control of my life. Effexor change my life and saved me from the helplessness that I felt. I am now off the Ativan and have not needed any sense stopping it. There is freedom beyond panic and anxiety. This may not work for everybody but it worked for me."

No longer hopeless (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on this for 9 yrs, i take 150mg 3 times a day, i've missed sometimes up to 2 doses with no side effects. i would be dead today if it weren't for this pill, that's the god's honest truth. Only side effect I can think of is I've gained a few pounds. Love Love this medication"

BrittMiller (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "GP recommended effexor when 7 months ago when I was going through some extremely stressful life events. The seroxat I was on for GAD for the previous 17 years was no longer effective & now I had become depressed. Effexor 37.5mg worked well at first, was upped to 70mg. Benefits: Immediately made me feel less depressed (hooray - no more tears), No panic attacks at all, Able to sleep all night. Costs: Felt like a zombie, Lost my spark, Didn't feel present when talking to people (the lights were on but no-one was in), Not bothered about anything including if I upset someone; More aggressive verbally (usually very placid person), Withdrawn (usually very social person). Withdrawal if missed dose was torture. Currently tapering off it."

Nellyfant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

"I have had panic disorder & depression for years with suicidal ideation. Wouldn't leave my house! My new Doctor started me on 37.5. The side effects were awful and I almost quit taking. Worsened anxiety, nausea, you name it- I had it. After a little over a week, it was gone. Doctor put me on 75mg. I noticed a difference on day two! Less anxiety, less depression. Weird sensation in my veins like I need to go run or something. After a month I was on 150mg. I was almost living a normal life by then and actually leaving my house. side effects are gone. Now I'm on 225mg. I'm a different person! I feel alive! Haven't felt normal in years! I'll always have a little anxiety, but it's manageable with coping mechanisms. This med. saved my life."

June34 April 16, 2016

"I can't take this drug anymore. I get all of the listed withdrawl symptoms while on the drug. If I go more than a few hours past the time I'm supposed to take it I get really bad vertigo and as someone else described it "Brain Zaps" seems to fit the bill. To hell with this I'm going cold turkey and would rather be a stark raving lunatic then live in the half life this drug has provided me with. I sleep endlessly and when I am awake I'm not awake. I'm numb."

TomCJR March 29, 2016

"This medication worked wonders for me. I suffer from panic disorder for a long time. I had been under control with Paxil, having no panic attack for over 8 years. Though I was cured. Suddenly it started to hit again and it was hell. My doctor said Paxil was not working any more and tried another medication. For 2 months the attacks wouldn't stop. I thought I was going to die. She decided to change the medication again and prescribed me Effexor 75. In less than a week the attacks were gone and I was back to normal. Now I'm slowly quitting Paxil. She says it will be at least 6 months until I'm totally off of Paxil. The protocol I follow to quit Paxil is that I alternate dosages, one day I take 12,5 and the other day I take 25. Working fine."

Anonymous February 21, 2016

"Been on several antidepressants in order to cure my anxiety/depression/panic attacks over the past 4 years and none yet has given me my life back although some have improved my state to a bearable limit. I am not upping to 75mg of Venalfaxine but cautious because last time I did this - the side effects were scary. Hoping to maintain positivity and hope this works for me."

LoopyMcC January 8, 2016

"Effexor was a miracle drug for me. Before taking it I had horrid panic attacks and acute distress. I was at my wits end. I felt hopeless and tormented by reoccurring panic attacks and terrified thoughts and feelings. I tried everything for anxiety, even klonipen, having nothing worked. After taking Effexor for 2 weeks, my anxiety decreased by about 60 %, I felt happier and more in control of my life. I went from a terrified worry wart to a content person. I highly recommend it. It is the best anxiety drug I ever had. The benefits definitely out weigh the side effects. The ones I experience is constipation, insomnia and muscle convulsions but it is worth it if you are suffering a lot from anxiety."

cara11 January 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I use to have panic attacks everyday for three years. I was scared to go to sleep. I've tried so many antidepressant and effexor was the only thing that worked with little to no side effects. My Dr. started me on 75mg, then increased it two wks later to 100mg. I've been on 100mg for almost a yr and I still haven't had a panic attack or anxiety."

Jay Nita December 20, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication at 21 for panic disorder 8 years ago. I was previously taking Zoloft which I was given at 16... I think the zoloft did enough but also at that young of an age there wasn't much adventure I was seeking yet so my panic attacks were controlled. I did still get panic attacks and my life was still significantly altered. They switched me to Effexor 75mg & I gained 50 pounds in the first year. Panic attacks still present just less frequent. General everyday anxiety lessened. Tried few time to get off but I can't get past 37.5mg. Back on 75mg as of last week. I hate the first few weeks. Nightmares, appetite full force and generally light headed. It does calm the general anxiety down though but its still a difficult life."

Bef November 18, 2015

"I first took celexa but due to bad hot flashes due to hormonal therapy for cancer, Celexa didn't really work for hot flashes but it did for anxiety it. With Venlafaxine there was no side effects I felt good from the day one, then upped the dosage to 150mg. Hot flashes are better, panicky feeling is there but it keeps it controlled. It's my 3rd week so I hope to get better as time goes by. I am 35"

miamia2015 (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "After very unsuccessful attempts with Lexapro and Prozac, I started on Effexor XR 2 months ago. Really suffered a lot to have my system adapted to it in the first 5 days. After that I had 2 wonderful weeks. It has helped me a lot with panic attacks I used to have (specially dizziness and balacing issues), butI have started suffering with huge stomach pains. I thinks those are related to effexor."

Guita May 20, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal"

t. beaver April 20, 2015

"I started having disabling panic attacks 2008. Was first put on Paxil CR. Stopped after 2 yrs cause I was grazing on food and gained weight. In 2013, attacks came back with a vengeance after death of my Dad. Put on Sertaline. Love how it made me feel, so mellow but grazing one again. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months! Stop that med now on Effexor for two months. Don't feel like grazing. Mood is pretty okay. In the meantime, found out I had allergy to dairy, wheat & sugar. Eliminate them and feel marvelous combined with Effexor. Exercise, proper food, and a good drug makes all the difference. Good luck."

patay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2014

"My first dose of 37.5 mg I experienced a surge of adrenaline, dizziness, nausea, sweating, jittery, shakiness. Symptoms started 2 hours after dose lasting about 2-4 hours. Each day the symptoms lessened and disappeared quicker. I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I do feel more optimistic and upbeat so far despite side effects."

anonymously February 17, 2014

"Been on Effexor XR/ Venlafaxine ER 75 mgs. for a number of years now to damp down the panic attacks I began having at 3 am every morning (like clockwork) some time after menopause. Very effective at stopping the panic attacks once I got up to blood level (about 8 weeks). In between took Lorazepam nightly until the Venlafaxine kicked in. Due to intense itching and some hives, as well as fatigue, on the Venlafaxine. I switch to 37.5 mgs. here and there for a day, which has helped. Killed my sex drive, however, and periodically have headaches."

Roxie62 May 15, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor XR for 8 years. I was on 75mg once a day for the first 8 following my first year of college. A couple months ago I started exhibiting symptoms of panic disorder again, very severely. I was upped to 150mg once a day, seemed fine for a couple weeks, but upped again to 187.5mg once a day since I was still having panic attacks. Generally I feel like it is working - I know that there are some people on much higher dosages, and it is just a matter of finding your right dosage."

Anonymous June 23, 2012

"I began taking this medicine about 10 years ago. For changes in my condition, dosage has ranged for 37.5- to max 375mg daily. This medication has been extremely successful in controlling symptoms enough to seek all sorts of recommended therapy. I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks compounded by agoraphobia. Post traumatic stress disroder was initial diagnosis the above mentioned came later. Side effects at 150mgs daily and above have been significant weight gain and lack of sex drive. Lower doses offered same side effects although manageable. Lowering dosage to discontinue caused manageable discomfort."

Heartshapedcherry July 22, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for several years, alternating between 37.5 mg and 75 mg when needed. I feel better, but it still does not keep me from having attacks. I have to take an Ativan when I have an attack to get it to stop. I have been dealing with this for about 12 years and Effexor XR is the most effective out of Celexa and Zoloft."

NoExcuses November 4, 2010

"This drug has been a God-send for me! I have had depression since the birth of my second child, 7 years ago. I was on Zoloft for years which worked well. However, after a series of troubling situations, I developed anxiety and panic. The panic attacks were so bad that I kept ending up in the hospital thinking I was having heart attacks, even though my heart is completely healthy. I went to an amazing doctor who worked with me to find the right medication, and since starting Venlafaxine, I have been panic free!!! For those who suffer from panic attacks, you know what an amazing feeling this is. I didn't know I could have my life back, but I do! I feel more like myself now than I have in years!"

mommymilk March 25, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since adolescence (with random social anxiety). In college, it got so bad I was having a hard time functioning. I've been on Effexor XR for 9 years now and its been 9 yrs with NO anxiety or 1 single panic attack with no lasting side effects. It is a miracle! At the beginning I was over-medicated with 225mg (no sense of time, heart raced, weird brain "flashes", very hyper), but I am stable on a lower dosage of 75 mg with no side-effects. I've even been pregnant/breastfed on 75 mg and have a healthy child. Effexor XR saved my life. It truly is a miracle drug! Before it, I suffered so much, I couldn't imagine life could be this good!"

molls62 February 27, 2010

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medicine is good for depression but did nothing for me in terms of anxiety or panic."

SS122 December 18, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor was given to me a few years ago for depression. The first time I took it I felt extremely anxious and panicky. I ended up going to the ER. The doctor had to give me Ativan and Clonidine. My blood pressure shot up higher than it's ever been. "

heart attack special December 2, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'm 19 years old and have been on Effexor for about 2 years now. The day before my High School graduation I went on it after having a huge panic attack and finally being diagnosed with anxiety (surprisingly I never knew I had it). This has given me my life back. I can't remember when my last panic attack was. I'd recommend it."

Anonymous May 13, 2009