User Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Elaine · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2020

“I was put on this for Obsessive disorder. I became apathetic personality, lost interest in others concerns, tired, loss of sleep, inability to release tensions, and lack of tact with others. I was in 37.5 extended release Effexor for 5 years and slowly decreased my dose myself. Side effects were minimal due to a gradual reduction over months of time. I Do NOT recommend taking this medication at all! Period. No exceptions.”

Capt Crane · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2020

“Been taking 150mg venlafaxine for a month no improvement. How long should I give it?”

Queen Z · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2020

“The most awful drug I have ever been on, currently weaning myself off slowly as the withdrawals are the worst! This medication gave me horrendous night terrors, sweating, depression got worse and weight gain to mention but a few! If I knew then what I know now I would of NEVER of taken them! Stay away!!”

Shareen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

“My OCD intrusive thoughts were destroying me. I felt the only way out was suicide. My dr didn’t seem to care. She is too involved in impressing her collegues with her talks and presentations . Her psychiatric patients pay the bills . so I went to a walk in clinic and discussed my OCD and situation with this new dr. He prescribed me 37.5 mg Effexor for a couple weeks and then he suggested I increase it up to 75 mg. My mind slowed down from repetitive negative intrusive thoughts pretty much in the first week My life will never be perfect but I feel so much better and I’m no longer tormented by intrusive thoughts. I no longer see that psychiatrist anymore My new dr is thorough and I appreciate him. Please be careful in choosing the right mental health care professional and all the best to those of you still suffering”

Anonymous December 17, 2019

“For me venlafaxine has honestly been a God send. I was on it for a few years and ended up going to high of a dose, so I tapered off and tried another med. But it didn't work at all so I started low again on effexor and it has completely changed my life. I've been doing great! I'm on 75mg now. Only medicine that has helped my OCD.”

Momma4 September 8, 2019

“venlafaxine is life changer with my OCD I feel like a new person . ”

CNSmess June 13, 2019

“Unable to select multiple conditions but I'm on this for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), chronic pain, PTSD and shortly after starting Effexor had an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. Prior to effexor, zoloft for 9 , had a "2" recent unintentional drug overdoses, one was while in the care of an inpatient hospital stay and a loved one committed suicide It was a GOD send for the first 2 months, it put me out on my couch and I stopped caring about all my pain. I stopped caring about cleaning and order. "The feeling of sitting on the edge of my seat anxious with every muscle tightened in my body went away, for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE." . At 6 months developed photophobia, diarrhea, appetite loss, mood swings with rage, then these lead into loss of taste, weight, fatigue, nephropathy, tremors, jerking, dystonia. It was the dystonia diagnosis that got her attention this was the sign the drug needed to be stopped.”

BT · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2019

“Effexor is a miracle drug. Never had ritualistic OCD, but as far as intrusive and obsessive thoughts go, I was in a bad spot before I was prescribed. I take 187.5mg daily, and will forever. It takes about 10-12 weeks to get it completely into your system. But worth it. Side effects for me include an occasional headache, cured with ibuprofen. Effexor is a game changer.”

A · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 8, 2018

“I’ve been on this for 2 years or so now, and it’s helped a lot with my GAD and depression. This has done NOTHING for my OCD, but all SSRIs have given me horrible side effects, so this is the better of evils and I’m thankful for it. My panic attacks have decreased immensely because of this and lots of therapy.”

AnxiousMama · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2018

“I've been on Venlafaxine for two months now, and it has drastically improved my obsessive and intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder as well, and it has eased my anxiety and I feel like I can live a happy life! I am currently on 150mg per day. Starting the medication was rough, but if you get through the first couple of weeks, it gets so much better! I still have occasional anxiety, which I think is more situational than anything. If I allow my mind to wander too much, some intrusive thinking might invade my mind, but it's not anything like it was before. I was honestly very scared to start taking this medication after reading some reviews, but I'm glad I stuck to it!”

Shmedly · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2017

“Been on Effexor for five years, really helped me get over suicidal thoughts. Should be more prescribed than it is.”

Troopster · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 10, 2017

“Disclaimer: This is only general information. Consult a doctor before making any changes to your medications. If you're trying to get off antidepressants, it may be easier to FIRST switch to an antidepressant other than venlafaxine. A different antidepressant may be easier to withdraw from. Some doctors will allow you to switch antidepressants in a process that does not require a full withdrawal from the first drug, before starting the next one . My doctor allowed this and it was relatively easy, but it can be dangerous if not done properly. I'm currently giving venlafaxine a second try. It worked well but i switched drugs because of side effects.”

Venlafaxine Addict · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 2, 2016

“I have been at 75 mg for 6-7 years now. Originally to treat depression but I was later diagnosed with OCD and now realize that the symptoms were the cause of the depression. This understanding helps as my coping mechanism. I have tried coming off Venlafaxine but had no success and eventually went back. The drug does help with the insane thoughts and images in my head but they are still present, just not as intense (unless I miss a dose). I will be attempting quitting again when I have time to commit to it. The last time I tried it ended with me rear ending another vehicle. Minor but unfortunate. I'm hoping for something more holistic and will consult my Dr. before my next try.”

Anonymous June 29, 2016

“Less obsessional thoughts on this!”

Londoner February 28, 2016

“I have been taking Venlafaxine for one week. It seemed to help immediately when I started using it. At last I am no longer wrapped up in my own thoughts, going over the same thing again and again. I have obsessive thoughts due to a bad relationship with a relative. I am enmeshed in the relationship and have tried talking therapies and Prozac. Nothing has given me relief like this medication. I have had only mild side effects, dry mouth, some loss of appetite.”

Ash3 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2015

“Coming off of it is one of the worst things I've gone through. I wish I could go back in time and never start using it. I've recently decided medication isn't the right path for me. I was on Celexa before this. When I missed a day on Celexa I could deal with the pain but when I miss a dose of Effexor I feel awful for at least the next two days. This led me to the decision to come off of it and I'm almost ready to go back on just to make the withdrawals stop. My doctor always tried to encourage me to go up to the 100s as well and I was headstrong about staying on the 75mg. I'm glad I chose to stay that low as I can't imagine trying to come off anything higher. I would not recommend taking this medication.”

LuckyNumber13 September 11, 2015

“I've been on Effexor for about 3 years now. I started at 75mg/day and am now at 37.5mg/day. Even at this dose, for me, it has drastically reduced the obsessive tendencies I had before. I very rarely have spiralling down obsessive periods now. I really dislike being on meds, but have resigned myself to being on Effexor the rest of my life. It has improved the overall quality of my life quite a bit. The only side effect I've noticed is if I miss taking the dosage at the same time every single day. If I'm off even by a few hours, I start to get the previously mentioned "brain zaps" which feel very odd. It feels like my brain goes through a warp of some type for a moment or two here and there. Once I have one, I realize I haven't taken my dose.”

Eru · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2015

“I havent had a single panic attack since starting this drug which has been a MIRACLE. It was rough to get on it, like having the flu, but so worth it. I had GI side effects for about another two weeks but then those disappeared too. I have no bad side effects now. My default mood has returned to pretty-happy and things I couldn't do because of OCD, I can do now. I think this might be the one! I only gave it a 9 because I've been picking my scalp nonstop since about a month on it, but not sure if its because of effexor or not.”

JC33 June 13, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): “If I didn't have side effects from Effexor, I would still be on it right now. I'm currently in the stages of slowly tapering off of it, with instruction from my doctor. I went from 75mg to 150mg. Now, I am taking a 75 37.5 for a week, tapering it off every week from there. You need to be extremely disciplined about taking this medicine every day, and at the same time every day. With my schedule, I was never able to take it at the same time every day. I would get what are called "brain zaps," which is the feeling like everything rushed to your head for a split second. I also had sexual side effects on Effexor, though it was more noticeable on lower doses. I've been on Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Effexor. On to Cymbalta now.”

Anonymous September 28, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine): “I was walking the streets at night before I started Effexor. Diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. Been on it over 10 years. Once in a while I try to ween myself off and I start to have those terrible feelings again. I will stay on it the rest of my life. I can live normally.”

Anonymous November 11, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Effexor XR is the ONLY anti-depressant I can take. It works so well, and honestly saves my life. It makes me a happier, nicer person. I couldn't function without this medication.”

Anonymous November 26, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “This drug saved my life. No side effects and I can now move on with my life.”

OCD Guy May 31, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): “Effexor is the only antidepressant that has helped my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and I have tried quite a few. It is the only one that has had very few side effects as long as you take it regularly. It has greatly helped me deal with my OCD and has greatly improved my overall mood and outlook on life. I take it in conjunction with Pimozide which has eliminated the intrusive unwanted thoughts and also Dextrostat which helped eliminate the tiredness associated with with taking the previous medications. These 3 medications have given me a new lease on life. Prior to this mix of medicines I must have tried a couple dozen that either didn't work for me or had too many side effects.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder