User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I have been at 75 mg for 6-7 years now. Originally to treat depression but I was later diagnosed with OCD and now realize that the symptoms were the cause of the depression. This understanding helps as my coping mechanism. I have tried coming off Venlafaxine but had no success and eventually went back. The drug does help with the insane thoughts and images in my head but they are still present, just not as intense (unless I miss a dose). I will be attempting quitting again when I have time to commit to it. The last time I tried it ended with me rear ending another vehicle. Minor but unfortunate. I'm hoping for something more holistic and will consult my Dr. before my next try."

Venlafaxine Addict (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2016

"Less obsessional thoughts on this!"

Anonymous June 29, 2016

"I have been taking Venlafaxine for one week. It seemed to help immediately when I started using it. At last I am no longer wrapped up in my own thoughts, going over the same thing again and again. I have obsessive thoughts due to a bad relationship with a relative. I am enmeshed in the relationship and have tried talking therapies and Prozac. Nothing has given me relief like this medication. I have had only mild side effects, dry mouth, some loss of appetite."

Londoner February 28, 2016

"Coming off of it is one of the worst things I've gone through. I wish I could go back in time and never start using it. I've recently decided medication isn't the right path for me. I was on Celexa before this. When I missed a day on Celexa I could deal with the pain but when I miss a dose of Effexor I feel awful for at least the next two days. This led me to the decision to come off of it and I'm almost ready to go back on just to make the withdrawals stop. My doctor always tried to encourage me to go up to the 100s as well and I was headstrong about staying on the 75mg. I'm glad I chose to stay that low as I can't imagine trying to come off anything higher. I would not recommend taking this medication."

Ash3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2015

"I've been on Effexor for about 3 years now. I started at 75mg/day and am now at 37.5mg/day. Even at this dose, for me, it has drastically reduced the obsessive tendencies I had before. I very rarely have spiralling down obsessive periods now. I really dislike being on meds, but have resigned myself to being on Effexor the rest of my life. It has improved the overall quality of my life quite a bit. The only side effect I've noticed is if I miss taking the dosage at the same time every single day. If I'm off even by a few hours, I start to get the previously mentioned "brain zaps" which feel very odd. It feels like my brain goes through a warp of some type for a moment or two here and there. Once I have one, I realize I haven't taken my dose."

LuckyNumber13 September 11, 2015

"I havent had a single panic attack since starting this drug which has been a MIRACLE. It was rough to get on it, like having the flu, but so worth it. I had GI side effects for about another two weeks but then those disappeared too. I have no bad side effects now. My default mood has returned to pretty-happy and things I couldn't do because of OCD, I can do now. I think this might be the one! I only gave it a 9 because I've been picking my scalp nonstop since about a month on it, but not sure if its because of effexor or not."

Eru (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If I didn't have side effects from Effexor, I would still be on it right now. I'm currently in the stages of slowly tapering off of it, with instruction from my doctor. I went from 75mg to 150mg. Now, I am taking a 75 37.5 for a week, tapering it off every week from there. You need to be extremely disciplined about taking this medicine every day, and at the same time every day. With my schedule, I was never able to take it at the same time every day. I would get what are called "brain zaps," which is the feeling like everything rushed to your head for a split second. I also had sexual side effects on Effexor, though it was more noticeable on lower doses. I've been on Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Effexor. On to Cymbalta now."

JC33 June 13, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was walking the streets at night before I started Effexor. Diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. Been on it over 10 years. Once in a while I try to ween myself off and I start to have those terrible feelings again. I will stay on it the rest of my life. I can live normally."

Anonymous September 28, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR is the ONLY anti-depressant I can take. It works so well, and honestly saves my life. It makes me a happier, nicer person. I couldn't function without this medication."

Anonymous November 11, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This drug saved my life. No side effects and I can now move on with my life."

Anonymous November 26, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the only antidepressant that has helped my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and I have tried quite a few. It is the only one that has had very few side effects as long as you take it regularly. It has greatly helped me deal with my OCD and has greatly improved my overall mood and outlook on life. I take it in conjunction with Pimozide which has eliminated the intrusive unwanted thoughts and also Dextrostat which helped eliminate the tiredness associated with with taking the previous medications. These 3 medications have given me a new lease on life. Prior to this mix of medicines I must have tried a couple dozen that either didn't work for me or had too many side effects."

OCD Guy May 31, 2009