User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"For years I had battled with IBS D, until being prescribed Effexor XR. I did have problems when changed to the generic. If I missed a dose of the name brand I could take the next dose. On the generic if I missed I would have awful withdrawals. And one manufacturer Zydus 120 mg lasted only 12 hours. I found manufacturer Greenstone will last the 24 hours. My current pharmacy makes sure they have it available, but some pharmacys aren't able to get certain manufacturers. I have been able to live a normal life with the medication Effexor XR or generic by Greenstone. I do not have IBS D, nor the stress and anxiety of never knowing when it would hit. I am very thankful."

lbmtx April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with IBS 15 years ago with no relief except by a prescription of a mild muscle relaxer which made me tired and didn't always help. Recently I hit a major depression and asked for help and was prescribed venaflaxin and haven't had a single episode in two weeks. That in itself is a miracle to me. Not sad or sick...finally!!"

GuddatJeepsGirl (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got on Effexor XR and was on it for 6 months for my generalized anxiety. It didn't seem to help my anxiety, but it helped my IBS tremendously. It took away most of the pain. However, there were times it was a bit of a struggle to go, but I still was able to and I would much rather have it that way than loose. Now, I am off of it and want to get back on a low dose. I was up to the full 225 mg by the end but even the 75 helped my stomach. My stomach is now killing me and affecting my daily life. I get a lot of pain and a lot of time is spent on the toilet. I'm pretty miserable sometimes and hope to get back on it or find something that works that well."

Girl 19 February 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recently switched from Paxil to this because I was gaining a lot of weight. But I found that this made my IBS Symptoms worse. It also did not improve my mood for depression.. I will probably have to switch back on Paxil but don't really want to since Paxil is one of the top highly addictive and hard to get off antidepressant."

Jazzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken either Zoloft or venlafaxine since 2000. It has made my IBS nonexistent. Always had a queasy feeling before and horrible IBS for years. Definitely improved my QOL."

CGR2009 June 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Effexor XR about two weeks ago on a very low dose. I am also taking Levbid twice a day. Between those two, my symptoms are almost non existent. The doctor wants to raise the dosage next week and I am ok with that since it is supposed to help my anxiety, which is a trigger for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. I will say, the first week, the side effects were horrible. I had the enlarged pupils, nauseous, constipation, and dizziness. They went away exactly at the 7 day mark and now I am starting to have hope I can have a normal life once again."

WasHopeless (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Venlafaxine turned out to help my irritable bowel syndrome a lot in addition to the psychological part. I take 225mg a day at the moment, and the days I sometimes forget to take them it gets noticeable worse."

Sykes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed Effexor XR for social anxiety and panic attacks, but an unexpected benefit was a decrease in my IBS symptoms (remember, bowel challenges are part of the symptoms for anxiety). After taking the medication for about a week my bowel motions were normal and cramping in my bowels were eased- it emboldened me to eat more foods (before the medication I hardly ate anything but blend foods trying to alleviate the bowel cramping and gas). It was sensational- my health is so much better because I am eating healthier foods. I even stopped using Pepto-Bismol as a go to for cramping! I am so appreciative of this medication. Also: another good aid for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms is swallowing peppermint oil capsules; not peppermint tea or candy. God Bless You!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got anxiety attack and that lead to irritable bowel syndrome. My Dr. recommended Effexor 150mg/day. I used that since 2001. It works well, no problems, makes me happy all time but when I eat something with milk, immediate I have diarrhea."

loay R W (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Worked really well for irritable bowel syndrome, but unfortunately it affected my blood pressure."

gutgirl January 13, 2009