User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I got on Effexor XR and was on it for 6 months for my generalized anxiety. It didn't seem to help my anxiety, but it helped my IBS tremendously. It took away most of the pain. However, there were times it was a bit of a struggle to go, but I still was able to and I would much rather have it that way than loose. Now, I am off of it and want to get back on a low dose. I was up to the full 225 mg by the end but even the 75 helped my stomach. My stomach is now killing me and affecting my daily life. I get a lot of pain and a lot of time is spent on the toilet. I'm pretty miserable sometimes and hope to get back on it or find something that works that well."

Girl 19 February 11, 2016

"Recently switched from Paxil to this because I was gaining a lot of weight. But I found that this made my IBS Symptoms worse. It also did not improve my mood for depression.. I will probably have to switch back on Paxil but don't really want to since Paxil is one of the top highly addictive and hard to get off antidepressant."

Jazzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

"I have taken either Zoloft or venlafaxine since 2000. It has made my IBS nonexistent. Always had a queasy feeling before and horrible IBS for years. Definitely improved my QOL."

CGR2009 June 9, 2015

"I started taking Effexor XR about two weeks ago on a very low dose. I am also taking Levbid twice a day. Between those two, my symptoms are almost non existent. The doctor wants to raise the dosage next week and I am ok with that since it is supposed to help my anxiety, which is a trigger for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. I will say, the first week, the side effects were horrible. I had the enlarged pupils, nauseous, constipation, and dizziness. They went away exactly at the 7 day mark and now I am starting to have hope I can have a normal life once again."

WasHopeless (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

"Venlafaxine turned out to help my irritable bowel syndrome a lot in addition to the psychological part. I take 225mg a day at the moment, and the days I sometimes forget to take them it gets noticeable worse."

Sykes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2014

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed Effexor XR for social anxiety and panic attacks, but an unexpected benefit was a decrease in my IBS symptoms (remember, bowel challenges are part of the symptoms for anxiety). After taking the medication for about a week my bowel motions were normal and cramping in my bowels were eased- it emboldened me to eat more foods (before the medication I hardly ate anything but blend foods trying to alleviate the bowel cramping and gas). It was sensational- my health is so much better because I am eating healthier foods. I even stopped using Pepto-Bismol as a go to for cramping! I am so appreciative of this medication. Also: another good aid for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms is swallowing peppermint oil capsules; not peppermint tea or candy. God Bless You!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2012

"I got anxiety attack and that lead to irritable bowel syndrome. My Dr. recommended Effexor 150mg/day. I used that since 2001. It works well, no problems, makes me happy all time but when I eat something with milk, immediate I have diarrhea."

loay R W (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Worked really well for irritable bowel syndrome, but unfortunately it affected my blood pressure."

gutgirl January 13, 2009