User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 2)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Anxiety 162 reviews 56 medications

Chronic Pain 88 reviews 108 medications

6.1
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 1071 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed Cymbalta in August 2016. I was told it was one of the antidepressants that had little side effects. This drug made me extremely tired, almost lethargic, & I gained 20 lbs a matter of 8 months, despite eating healthy. I am a very health conscious person. I lost a lot of hair. My husband actually asked me if I was pulling my hair out. If I missed a dose of this medicine, I literally felt like I had the worst flu ever. I had the chills, diarrhea, achey, etc. I just got off this medicine but am extremely depressed from all of the effects of it. I am now larger than I have been since being pregnant & my hair is thinning. I warn people to avoid Cymbalta at all costs!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I was prescribed this medication for depression several years ago. I did not think it was helping me so I had my doctor take me off of it 8 months ago. I was determined to handle my depression without it as I just wasn't seeing a big difference. Whoa. Was I wrong. I finally went back on it three days ago, and I can tell you that everyone I knew with rheumatoid arthritis, or osteoarthritis (as I do), my depression only worsened once my pain level increased each day, until finally I tried it again. Everyone I know who has pain from arthritis who has tried to stop taking Cymbalta, has returned to it much, much sooner than I did. I am sorry I suffered as long as I did before trying it again. It is a life saver and had given me my life back."

Fiverlo May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "So far, life changing"

Vcccc May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I took Cymbalta for 6 years after my house burned down, my husband was diagnosed with cancer, he lived 8 months. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and severe depression. It worked with minimal side effects. I felt like myself 3 days after starting it. I was in a good place 8 yrs. I weened off and stopped taking it. 3 years later I had a massive stroke and slowly began to feel more and more depressed. I was suicidal in Jan. 2016. I asked a new Dr. to put me back on it. I felt better in only 36 hours. It was amazing how it changed my thinking. My back pain, suicidal thoughts and anxiety had all but disappeared. I would recommend Cymbalta to anyone with any of these symptoms. Everyone is different and if my not work for you. I'm still taking it."

MamaKat_55 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I started taking 30mg of Cymbalta about a month ago. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and was prescribed Cymbalta mainly for depression, but I must say that Cymbalta has significantly helped the chronic pain. I had side effects the first two weeks or so, but they mostly went away. As far as depression goes though, it hasn't really helped me."

Sutton12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been having anxiety and depression issues recently and since I've had back surgery and residual pain, my doc put me on 40 mg of Cymbalta. About 3 hours after I took my first dose I had the worst migraine I've ever had in my life, coupled with nausea, finally vomiting, cold chills, auditory hallucinations (low rumbling sound, plus my tinnitus got worse,) sleeplessness, loss of appetite and everything tasted like aspirin. The next morning my wife and I attempted to have sex. While I did have an erection, after almost two hours of trying I never even got close to an orgasm. Now I'm in some discomfort. For a drug that's supposed to make me feel better, I'd never take it again."

joebloe256 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Had been in a great deal of pain for over 3 years was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago. My Doctor put me on Cymbalta 30mg once a day 2 weeks ago it took 5 days to kick in wow I am very pleased, I feel 90% pain free. I feel tired but I would rather be tired then in pain. It's nice to sleep pain free."

Chasewen May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I feel like some of you people commenting on how inept the doctors are at prescribing medication for you fail to realize how medications affect people differently. You had a bad experience? That is in no way, shape or form the doctors fault. At all. Your body chemistry is just different than they expected. These psychiatric issues are not an exact science. Medicine is not an exact science. That aside, I've only been on Cymbalta for about a month but I have already noticed a vast improvement. I feel less anxious overall and haven't experienced a panic attack since I started on it. Again this isn't an exact science and sometimes it takes experimentation to get the right combination. Hopefully I've found a proper solution to my issues."

MomoRose May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "although OK when I first stated to take this 30mg caps, then increased to 60 mg daily...after some years , I am showing more signs of tiredness, confusion, anxiety, hot flushes, and forgetfulness and general mental decline, and still get depressed, among symptoms....am truly concerned about this, as is my Husband and children (as I am not yet 65 yrs old)...and have always been in good health. I do not smoke, do drugs, and very seldom drink alcohol...."

Anna - Rose S May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Previous med Lexapro quit working after several years. Cymbalta seemed to work for the 1st week but I think it may have been placebo effect, after about a week my body started hurting and feeling hot from the inside especially my legs below my knees. After about 3 weeks stiff neck, hot flashes, restlessness, anxiety, headaches. 4 weeks all these plus talking in sleep, joint pain, body aches, stiff feeling, trouble focusing and I asked to be taken off it. I was only at 30mg."

Kypr May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "It's not working for my functional abdominal pain"

Asidar (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Horrible headache, drowsiness, feeling of paralysis, and diarrhea"

lonesomecharlie (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "For almost 2 years I had felt like I was exhausted and in pain all of the time. Was told that it was osteoarthritis and because of my getting adult acquired flat feet. Finally went to an arthritis doctor who said it was fibromyalgia and started on Cymbalta two weeks ago. Within 5 days, I felt relief. It have given me hope to be able to do things without constant pain. I still get tired easily, but I can finally sleep at night and not nearly as stiff in the morning. I was scared to death when reading about the side effects. Other than a headache for a few days... that was all for me. Sooo glad it has changed my life."

PJN May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My thoughts on Cymbalta: Cymbalta has left me in a fog. I have no feelings- NONE. Driving is a chore as my eyes are excessively shifty. God forbid you ever forget to take your medication as you will be stricken with these obnoxious little shocks (which I've recently learned were called 'brain zaps'.) My heart beat is erratic. My brain is unable to form the right words when I talk which causes me to pause when I speak. I zone out regularly. I've been trying to taper off of this medication and am on day 9. The withdrawals are debilitating. I cannot focus. My chest and my jaw are tense. My fog has worsened significantly. Driving is dangerous as my vision is blurred. I am angry and easily agitated. I feel like crying but I can't. JUST SAY NO!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I have fibromyalgia, and have had this condition for many years. I tried Cymbalta for about two weeks, and never felt like I was in my right mind at all during the time I took it. I would much rather deal with my pain, and feel somewhat alive and painful, rather than a zombie. I do not recommend this drug: it's hard on the liver, your urine will smell very bad, you're going to be extremely sleepy, and a feeling of being not quite right. If that's what it takes to take pain away, I'd much rather work on massage, de-stressing techniques, walks, and praying than to feel like half a human being. That's been my experience, I glad I had the experience, as it taught me there's no easy route to pain relief. My hope is the new sodium-blockers!"

EspírituSpirit May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I just started it , but felt it working already. Compare to Citalopram that I used before. I'm excited cause I have hope that Cymbalta will help with my depression and my back pain"

sylla April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "First 24 hours my experience is as follows: I made up a joke about my experience since I had lots of time last night to think about it; I certainly wasn't sleeping. So I go to this really sleazy bar called 'The Cymbalta'. I order a shot of E Coli. I'm still standing so I tell the bartender to pour me some Dysentery. Then I try a frosty mug of Swine Flu. In other words, this stuff is like taking poison! My idea for Contraindications. 1) Not recommended for anyone who is actually alive. 2) Not recommended if you are more than 10 feet away from a toilet bowl. Yeah, I know all drugs have side effects, and this probably a transitory condition that will eventually go away. Maybe. I just don't think I can wait for the "feeling better" part to begin"

Californado (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I feel very conflicted about this medication. For about 80% of the day it helps me to be more stable and less reactionary. But then every day or every other day I have a breakdown and start sobbing, get very moody and paranoid, accuse my partner of not loving/caring about me, want to self harm and die. It has helped my chronic pain and doesn't cause me to dissociate constantly like many antidepressants do. However, I'm not sure it's worth it because of the breakdowns, but I'm scared to go off of it because I heard withdrawal is awful. I am just about ready to give up on medication altogether at this point."

Yeti2 April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Cymbalta has been an incredible drug for me. Since taking Cymbalta, I have been able to enjoy life more, sleep less and feeling more refreshed, reduction in pain, and improved memory and concentration. Recently, I have been studying for an exam. This is a hard exam, that I previously had failed before, while not taking Cymbalta. I started taking Cymbalta, approximately in January. The months leading up to the exam, I was more focused, and able to concentrate better than I can last remember. I know that Cymbalta doesn't treat concentration or memory problems, but I think that sometimes if you are depressed, it can have a severe affect on concentration. Thank you Cymbalta for helping me in my life."

CymbaltaFan April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the beginings of osteoarthritis. I'm a 24 year old mother of 3 children, and for me, Cymbalta has helped manage my pain. With 2 kiddos under the age of 3, and a special needs step-child, I don't have time to hurt, and I definitely can't lay around when I have a flare-up. Cymbalta has made the pain lessen from a screaming pain, to more of a whisper. Do I still have flares? Yes. But they are fewer and the pain is less, and I am able to control my flares better with the help of naproxen and a muscle relaxer. As far as side effects, I've noticed some loss of appetite and constipation. Every medication has some sort of negative effect, but you have to pick and choose what you are willing to live with."

Gracey Mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Was put on this for anxiety/pain. Although it did help with anxiety, it made me very weak in the legs. So much so that I can't stand it. I am prescribed 60 mg, but I take 15 mg to keep the edge off. Im told weakness in muscles is not a side effect. Garbage ! I see in some comments that few others have it. Doctors act like we don't know our own bodies. ...So frustrating!"

nervousnelly9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have never in my life functioned properly until cymbalta, I have gone from panic attacks , to public speaking with no hesitation , I finally have a real life , I don't over stress , I no longer ruminate , no shakings , no lasting side effects , a bit hyper and loss of libido but sorted out in a few months, I never want to come of it , changed my life totally , been on 60 mgs for 20 months"

may78 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Severe constipation, horrible horrible time it gave me,I don't care what anyone says,I was on it for 6 weeks and had to take laxatives every other night just to get relief before it finally hit me what was happening, I went off it right away, terrible drug,I'd rather live with any kind of pain then to ever go through that again!!!!"

Samby April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My new doctor recently switched me from klonopin to Cymbalta. I'd been taking Klonopin for two years at a low dose with NO issues, but this doctor can't help meddling. Anyway, this Cymbalta is a nightmare. I'm not depressed, just have anxiety, so why am I taking this? I've been so edgy and nauseous since starting it. I can't sleep, and sit in meetings at work spacing out. Never take this medication. I'm seeing my doc next week and am just going to flatly say I'm not taking this anymore. Luckily a different doc prescribes the Klonopin."

Jame F April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Within 2 hours of taking the medication, my brain lit up, it felt like I was high. I couldn't contain the energy, so I went for a run. By midway through the day I went to the park with my nephews, I took them on the swings. I thought I'd go on with them, so I started swinging and it felt like I was going to die. The most terrible feeling of fear I have ever experienced. It felt like I was free falling. I had a total panic attack. At the end of it I freaked out and just needed to get home. Could barely drive or focus. By day two I started feeling terrible raw feeling in my stomach, fought the feeling of vomiting most of the day, exhausted detached. My brain would fluctuate between euphoria and complete inability to calculate or communicate."

Dr stranglove April 14, 2017