User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 6)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 6.6
Back Pain 6.0
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.4 1,464 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

Jan1062 · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

For Depression: “I have been on Cymbalta for ten years. It immediately helped my fibromyalgia pain and worked awesome for my depression. I was on 60mg for about 5 years and now on 90mg 5 years. I tried to come off it so for one month I took 60mg last February. The symptoms were unbearable. I felt bee stings everywhere and I literally mean everywhere. My legs were in soo much pain my whole body felt like it was shaking inside. I had flushing a fever non stop itching. The list goes on. It definitely served a wonderful purpose when I started, I just kinda feel cheated they didn’t tell me I have to stay on for the rest of my life. ”

Carolyn September 16, 2019

For Depression: “I have Summer SAD (seasonal affective disorder) (yes it's a thing). My insomnia was made worse by this drug Cymbalta but it did take away my anxiety and I may have lost some pounds on it. After a couple weeks I dropped down to 20 mg every other day so I could sleep better. It was toward the end of summer and I started to wean myself off. I haven't had one in 2 or 3 weeks and I am still getting dizzy here and there. Did not experience zaps like others but I have to agree the withdrawal is quite lengthy for someone taking only 20 mg and for a very short time. Withdrawal symptoms included dizziness and daytime sleepiness - I only took this drug for maybe 6 weeks, and not every day.”

Matt · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2019

For Depression: “This drug has changed my life and probably saved it. I take only one 30mg a day but does the job suffered. Anxiety to the extreme days on end without sleep anxious days gone thanks cymbalta”

Dgreen64 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I have been taking Cymbalta for one month. I am at 30 mg and have not had a lot of bad side effects as others have noted. I do feel more tired and I have had some minor nose bleeding that seems to have subsided now. I would say this medication has decreased my muscle pain by about 50 to 75% depending on the day. It has also helped with arthritis pain in my hips and back. I would say the joint pain relief is about 25%. I hope I don’t have severe withdrawal symptoms if I have to change medications or stop temporarily for a surgery. I have read that it is much easier to taper off if you start taking a small dose of an SSRI like Prozac during the taper.”

Conster · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2019

For Depression: “I've been on Cymbalta since 2009. On July 29, I went down to 60 mg; on Aug 6, down to 30 mg & off completely Aug 19. The withdrawal symptoms began within 2 days. Hyper-sensitivity, both physically (to sound, taste, touch) & psychologically. I got shaky hands, chills, fevers, itchy skin &, two weeks on, prickles, like nettles or poison ivy all over my body. I felt like I had restless leg syndrome through my whole body. Nausea was persistent. I also found I was unable to manage any social interactions. I have still not gone back to work. The depression came back hard. Aug 6, 9th, Aug 19, & Aug 29 were all awful days. I didn't think I was going to make it. The hopelessness & despair were the worst I have EVER experienced. July 29-Sept 12. That's how long the withdrawal took for me.”

Flossiesmom September 12, 2019

For Depression: “I had been taking Lexapro for years with no problems. Extreme fatigue had my dr. Suggesting I change to Cymbalta. Immediately the anxiety...fuzzy head/vertigo hangover feeling started with nausea, diarrhea, unquenchable thirst, weakness, you name the side effect and I had it. Within 3 weeks I don't know how I was literally able to function. Very happy to be going back on Lexapro.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

For Depression: “I am 35 and have had depression and anxiety for many years. Over the years I have tried different SSRI’s- Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro. They did nothing for me. I felt like I was taking a placebo. After a bad breakup about a year ago I experienced severe depression and my anxiety was through the roof. I went to go see a doctor and told him SSRI’s don't work for me! He said just give Cymbalta a shot, if it doesn’t work in a month or two we will try something different. I thought what do I have to lose? Within a couple weeks I could tell a difference in my mood. I was shocked because like I said, these drugs have never worked for me. Within a month I felt totally back to my normal self. No more depression and my anxiety has been drastically reduced! This drug has been awesome for me.”

Tali September 5, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I was prescribed Cymbalta 60mg daily by my psychiatrist after a rapid downslide in my bipolar depression. The first day was very rough for me - headache & severe nausea. The next couple of days I was feeling slightly "high" & couldn't stop clenching my jaw or rushing my words. Thankfully all of that has passed (5 weeks in) now constipation is my only complaint. It has changed my outlook completely & I'm so thankful. Hopefully it doesn't change because it's been a life saver!”

youngfibro · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “So... after now being on these for the second time I can review them properly. As someone who struggles with mental health issues and fibromyalgia, these tablets worked a treat for both my pain and emotional regulation BUT be prepared for around a month of side effects before you fully notice a difference and can't function. Sickness, constantly sleeping all day; no appetite, rash, dizziness, nausea, constant headaches, not sleeping at all at night and struggling to move are just to name a few but once you get past that, they’re better than any pain killer. Despite struggle to feel emotions, the positives outweigh the negatives.”

Doe September 1, 2019

For Anxiety: “A heart specialist changed me from effexor to cymbalta. I stayed on 37.5 mg dose of effexor and started 60mg cymbalta This med is not for me. After 3 weeks I felt like I was falling apart. Severe anxiety like never before. I thought I was having a heart attack! So much tightness and pain. Called 911. Lots if tests later, it wasn't a heart attack at all. That was after 2 weeks on it. I was so deeply sad, severe nausea and vomiting, nightmares, sweats, biting down on my dentures constantly, itching all over. Dizziness, bad vision. My muscles ached. I've had serotonin syndrome before and this terrified me. I could not eat. I'm diabetic so I have to eat but food made me sick. Headaches, dark thoughts. Could not take it anymore and switched back to effexor 4 days ago, off the cymbalta. Today I feel great! I had a spell of nausea and overall feeling so awful, lasted 20 minutes or so. I also had pain in my right side and abdomen which is still tender but better. So glad to be feeling better”

Rocky September 1, 2019

For Depression: “It might be a good thing that I have all-over body pain with my type of depression. Good in that if I don't take my medicine I feel bad. So I can't be a patient who refuses to take their meds. Cymbalta IS MY GO-TO antidepressant. I won't let my doctor take it from me......hahaha. I used to get a griping type pain in my right side when my depression worsened. My doc couldn't explain it. I think it was just one of the symptoms of body pain caused by my depression. I remember seeing the TV commercials for Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. That's when I became familiar with the name. I can't tell if I have any side effects from Cymbalta. I'm a 60 yr old female and my doctor has prescribed HCL caps 60 mg 2 in the morning. ”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “Within one week I suffered a reaction to the drug with hives progressing quickly.”

Kimberly August 31, 2019

For Depression: “This medication has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I was skeptical due to negative reviews, but I’m glad I tried it and have stuck with it. I’ve been on it for about 4 months and it took about 6 weeks for me to really feel the effects. My thoughts of suicide have reduced greatly, and my overall anxiety has gotten better too. I have had these issues most of my adult life as a result of a traumatic childhood. I have previously tried Prozac but it makes me gain too much weight. Effexor helped in the past, but I can’t stand the brain zaps when you miss a dose. With Cymbalta, I’m more calm, less anxious, less depressed, and I don’t get as irritated with my husband and young daughter as I used to. I’m going to stick with it for as long as it’s working. The main side effects for me have been constipation and zero sex drive. But I’d rather deal with those things than think about suicide and cry every day.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “I've been taking Cymbalta for 6 months 20 mg once a day it has helped with my neuropathy in my legs but nothing has stopped it so it's better than taking nothing which causes pain that is unbearable. But when taking the 60 mg it has me very nauseated and off balance. So I have not been able to take a larger amount, then 20 mg a day. I tried taking it at night but I was really restless oh, so I take it in the morning with food.”

Trina · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

For Depression: “I started on 30mg Cymbalta, and noticed no helpful feelings. Then my dose was doubled to 60mg, still horribly depressed. Now my dose has again been doubled to 120mg, this concerns me as I have tachycardia. Not impressed yet.”

DoctorA49 · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have chronic pain from degenerative arthritis LS spine. Also have had 2 surgeries for spinal stenosis and foraminal stenosis. I tried Cymbalta about year ago and it did diminish the pain but side effects forced me to stop. I had severe insomnia and after two weeks of only sleeping 2 hours a night was coming apart. Also very difficult voiding my bladder and caused impotence at the same time. Tapered off and had auditory hallucinations like light saber sounds. If I could have tolerated the side effects would have continued since it did help the pain.”

Wide awake · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

For Depression: “Well..took my first dose this morning. 30.mg. For Anxiety depression and severe shoulder pain..felt odd all day maybe even highish? diarrhea once laid down at 9:30 pm its 2:10 am now. I thought I was sleeping but I was just laying there with my eyes closed. I'll give it a week maybe try taking at nite.”

boomergal50 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have been on Cymbalta for two months, 60mg in the morning. The first week I was on 30mg to give my body a chance to get used to the drug. I have had no side effects, except maybe a little constipation the first week or two. I am taking it for chronic pain from osteoarthritis in neck and lower back. I do suffer from anxiety and mild depression. My fingers were killing me two months ago. Now when I make a fist the fingers are a little stiff but no pain. My neck pain has been more manageable. I am still having issues with lower back joint dysfunction. I generally feel more optimistic, don't get aggravated at bad drivers, take things a little more easy and have more energy to get things done. My motivation is coming back. I am only rating an 8 at this point since it has only been two months.”

cj · Taken for 10 years or more August 23, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I am 64 years old. Cymbalta helped my MDD initially but over time my doctor added bupropion. I've been taking it for 14 years now. I still very much struggle with depression; not helping is a less than great home situation & a job that has gotten less tolerable. However, my doctor recently told me that he thinks I've developed a "drug-resistant depression". As those of you taking this know, coming off Cymbalta is not favorable after taking it this long which really bothers me.”

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “Took Cymbalta for 2 weeks. 5 days I had bad stomach aches. Started at 20mg and I thought it helped my chronic pain a bit. Made me anxious, tired, constipated, blah and no desire to do anything, no appetite, also had random chest pains. 2nd week, 40mg. No difference in pain relief. Felt some strange feelings going on in my head, impossible to describe but hated it. Still had pain and took Gabapentin in addition to Cymbalta. The tiredness dissipated but still felt blah, anxious, lazy with no desire to even go for a walk. Dry mouth along with urinary latency. I was barely peeing no matter how much water I drank. I wasn’t happier taking Cymbalta and the pain relief was minimal. Doc told me to discontinue. Upped my Gabapentin dose. Stopped taking Cymbalta cold. 1st 2 days off I had 2 mild headaches but could manage. 3rd day I had a terrible headache! I wasn’t sure if it was from Cymbalta or that I had 2 beers. 4th day , barely a headache. I feel happier off it, clear headed and normal. Gabapentin is working ok on my pain.”

Nope. August 18, 2019

For Anxiety: “30 mg of pure terror. And that was only in one day of taking it.”

Me sore · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I took cymbalta for 1 month for my pain. After about 2 weeks bad side effects set in. I had stomach pain, memory loss, nauseated feeling, no hunger, dizziness - almost falling over. I felt so bad I knew not what to do. Finally I told a few close people about what was going on and I decided to call my doctor to get off cymbalta. The doctor told me to stop immediately and rest. I did and slowly began to feel better. It's been 3 days and I'm still not normal, but a little better. I'm putting my words out there that if you're afraid of stuff like this, please stay away cymbalta. I think it should be taken out of the pharmacy. It is horrible.”

Lanie · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

For Depression: “Be careful if you have tachycardia (fast heart beat) with this drug. It can severely elevate your heart rate. I used this med for 2 days and had to stop. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was given to me in conjunction with pain as well, it did help my chronic back pain, but not worth what it does to the heart if you have any kind of heart issues.”

Savannah · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 15, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I did well on Cymbalta, but it did not completely help my depression. It was very helpful for anxiety. My doctor recommended going off of it and gave me 10 mgs. of Prozac each day to help with the discontinuation syndrome. It was very helpful and I recommend it. After trying other medications, I am back on Cymbalta. Still helping my severe anxiety but depression is still an issue for me.”

hicksy98 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I was on it for 3 days, and was experiencing all kinds of mental things, and had severe panic attacks. It helped with the pain along with Lyrica...but that was scary . I felt cloudy head and confused, sad, happy, depressed.”