User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 5)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 6.6
Back Pain 6.0
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.4 1,464 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

Smile 23 October 23, 2019

For Depression: “Cymbalta is good for depression and did help my relative for 10 years 60 mg every day but my relative wanted to be free from using anti depressants and so stopped it slowly reducing the dose which later worked and they felt relieved but got the worst depression and even attempted suicide. l am here to warn every one not to try to stop taking cymbalta if it is working for you just stick to it - the withdraw was a horror and after withdrawing it gave them 2 months of peace and third month a very bad depression that they have never experienced came back that they attempted suicide . They then had to put my relative to bed rest for 7 months every medication failed to work so they were switched back on cymbalta but it was also not helping even after increasing the dose so finally at the dose of 90mg it didn't help until Aripiprazole was added that's when it helped with depression but caused bad anxiety which we stopped with 0.5g lorazepam morning and evening”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

For Anxiety: “I've seen a lot of horror stories about Cymbalta but its been great for me. I started at 30mg's for a week then went up to 60mg's I've been on it for 5 months now and feel great. I had no side effects at all. Everybody reacts differently to meds”

Sky C. October 20, 2019

For Anxiety: “Was given 30mg/day for GAD with chronic nerve pain & insomnia. It caused nausea immediately. Dr said that should pass in 7-10 days. Around day 9 the nausea passed. At this exact same time initial benefits I was starting to experience (lessened pain and improved sleep) returned to original baseline, and an itchy red facial rash developed on my cheeks. Day 18 dr said to stop the medication and that "tapering was not necessary" (or an option). 3rd day off the drug was incapacitated by severe dizziness & headache. This lasted 3 days. I have heard that the research on the efficacy of duloxetine/how it really shouldn't still be on the market as EffexorXR and many other SNRIs / SSRIs have been repeatedly proven better than duloxetine. Side note - my dr said that 13 in yrs prescribing duloxetine she's only had 2 cases of withdrawal that was problematic vs. 25% off all her patients on EffexorXR having protracted withdrawal problems.”

Maggsoct October 18, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I am taking the time to write a positive review for Cymbalta to hopefully help another person considering this medication. Dose and Side effects -> My experience has been good with brand version of Cymbalta for 1 month - 30 mg. Day 1 a bit nauseous and diarrhea. Nothing else except constipation. Relief-> I suffer from nerve / chronic pain. I felt relief from back pain week 1 and at week 3 my nerve pain is calming down. I have not gained weight. Cymbalta->For those considering this medication, take time to read the good reviews and consider the brand version if you can afford it. Generics aren’t the exact replicas of the original brand. There are umpteen different versions of generics and vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. So you never know what kind you're going to get. Take time to do your research -> I work in medical education. The information is out there on the net to educate us on side effects, generics, withdrawal etc.”

Jason · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Had a great 12 years with lexapro 10mg, it stopped working. For the last 3 years I’ve tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Vybridd, Trintellix and Cymbalta. With all of them I felt a floaty, sedated feeling all day long. Cymbalta is starting to work. I believe its the noreprephrine component of the drug that’s helping me stay more focused and energized during the day. I’m on 60 mg daily. Pyschs and GP’s alike don’t know the effects of withdrawal unless they’ve experienced it themselves. Not every patient’s cure comes out of a medical text book and docs need to understand that you’re not neurotic and these drugs effect your delicate brain chemistry. Rapidly tapering from one drug to another can be disastrous for some. My thoughts are with those going through this, trying to land on the right med.”

CalNat · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I didn't know Cymbalta was making me suicidal, I ran out for over a week, got suicidal and felt like I was losing my mind. When I was switched to duloxetine, I binged with way too much vodka, passed out. Then found the Road Back From Psychoactive Drugs, online. I weaned off, for the next 3 years, I had awful brain zaps if I didn't take 3,000mg omega 3's daily.”

Toby · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “It helped at first (very low dose), but then about a week in I started having night terrors and sleep paralysis. One night I woke up with 2 inch long scratches on back of my neck due to night terrors.”

Necee · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2019

For Depression: “I’ve taken Cymbalta about 10 years. 90 mg and lower. Helped at first, then started getting agitated, no sleep, constipation. Horrible. Don’t recommend this drug. Had a mini stroke 6 months ago. Dreading the tapering.”

GlassSlipper October 15, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “Age: 54 Hypothyroidism (2008), Fibromyalgia (2009), mild to moderate arthritis (left knee). 2 terrible fibro flares this year that left me barely able to walk, even with a cane. Fed up, I started reading up on current treatments for fibro, and found info on Cymbalta and Savella, so I made an appointment with my internist the next day. Took my first dose of Cymbalta (60 mg/day) that evening at 10 p.m. By 4 a.m. the next morning, I was standing up without assistance and my pain and muscle weakness was about 80% better. I was stunned, to say the least. I'm not saying that this will be a "wonder drug" for everyone, because we all have a different genetic makeup, but all I can say is that it has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I could just kick myself in the butt for dropping the ball on continuing to keep up with advances in the treatment of fibro. I could have saved myself from years of needless suffering.”

karysue · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

For Depression: “I took this drug for 4 years for depression. It was not very effective and I tried to slowly go off of it even slower than my doctors recommended schedule. I took four months. A week after stopping I felt like I descended into the darkest place, I became cold and clammy, I screamed and felt so hopeless. Then I suffered daily panic attacks, my husband had to be at my side 24/7 for 7 weeks - SO FAR. I do not know how long this will last. No one can say. The Cymbalta withdrawal center says it lasts for 2 months. My recommendation is NEVER GO ON CYMBALTA. My physician friend told me "to get off of Cymbalta is as painful as getting off of heroin." NO JOKE.”

Matt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 12, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I saw all these negative comments when my doctor suggested it for my fibromyalgia pain and took it anyway. DON'T DO THE SAME! For me this is the worst drug ever created. I don't usually like to write negative comments but this drug actually destroyed a year of health for me. Be extra careful if you decide to take it (which I don't suggest!)”

Beau58 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I can't even tell I'm taking anything, and I am taking 60 mg doses”

Neenah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “This drug made me so depressed to the point of having suicidal thoughts. When I finally realized that it was causing this, the withdrawal symptoms are worse than anything I've ever experienced. Anxiety, extreme nausea, intense vertigo, muscle spasms. Do not take this drug, there's so many better options.”

Swampy October 6, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I was given duloxetine to help with depression and pain after I revealed to my psych that I feel random aches and pains nearly all the time. First day taking it was hard - terrible stomach pain and diarrhea. But, after that my tummy settled. I am at 90mg and I no longer notice these random pains that I got for no reason. It's great to be comfortable. I cannot comment as to whether it helps with my depression as I take a few different meds for that.”

Patti · Taken for 10 years or more October 2, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “When Cymbalta first came out, my rheumatologist prescribed 120mg per day. At that point I couldn’t sit up for more than 30 minutes. He also prescribed a “cocktail” of cyclobenzaprine 10mg, alprazolam 4mg, and Gabapentin 1200mg, twice a day. I read a lot of reviews and most were awful until I read the reviews of people over 50. They said it changed their lives! I was around 60 and am now 72. It truly changed my life! Now I find myself forgetting words. A neighbor told me she got off her Cymbalta and that went away so I’m waiting to see my doctor about this. Cutting the Cymbalta in half for a week and my knees and wrists are very painful. Again, waiting to see my doctor!”

Trekk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2019

For Depression: “The most important thing I want to share here is that it is the most addictive substance I have ever taken (And I have tried at least 100 different drugs.) It's not addictive because of the benefits it gives. It's addictive as anything because when you forget to take a pill - all the hell break loose. I highly do not recommend this to anyone. If you consider taking it - DO NOT! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Better be sick from your illness then get another illness because of this medicine. Do some online research about CYMBALTA HURTS WORSE”

Grandma Pat · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I was prescribed Cymbalta at 20 mg for pain following hip replacement. It didn’t help with pain, but I was sleeping so well that I kept taking it. Then the nightmares started and kept getting worse. I finally stopped taking the drug on my own after 4 months. The nightmares have stopped. But, surprisingly, my blood sugar which has been steadily climbing toward 200 is now back near 100. No change to anything else. I can only attribute this to the discontinuation of Cymbalta. And I feel much better.”

Dirk Tex September 30, 2019

For Back Pain: “When I first started taking Cymbalta, it really helped my back pain. Now, after 30 days it’s barely helping my back pain anymore. Therefore, my doctor is suggesting to take me off slowly of Cymbalta and start taking a low dose of Lexapro. In the past , When I used to take Lexapro it gave me back aches and neck pain. Thanks for having a Forum. Dirk”

Nandor · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2019

For Depression: “Absolutely terrible. I was prescribed 20mg Cymbalta to replace Prozac, which didn’t help my depression at all. The first few weeks there were no changes, so we increased it to 30mg, then 60mg. I lost the ability to feel emotions at all. I was numb. I couldn’t make myself eat. I lost 5% of my weight. I had started self harming just to feel something and felt suicidal. For some reason, I told myself to go to the doc one last time. It’s recommended that Cymbalta should be tapered off slowly, but there’s almost no way to do that 60mg to 30mg as it a big jump and the capsules shouldn’t be opened. The doc said I should quit cold turkey since I was in such a dark place. The withdrawal was torture. I couldn’t leave the house for two weeks because of vertigo, “brain zaps”, headaches, and confusion. I’m on Wellbutrin now and it’s a hundred times better in my experience.”

Purple Minion · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2019

For Depression: “This drug is a nightmare to get off of I don’t recommend it ever. I was on it for ten years. I am still having withdrawals after 60 days!!!! I vomited for three weeks. My body cannot get back in sync”

CieBarbie · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 24, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have rheumatoid arthritis that was not responding to orencia, arava, rituxan (!), cimzia or humira. Prior to these medications, I was on enbrel, but it stopped working after 9 years and I was allergic to methotrexate. The cymbalta seemed to make my pain much more bearable. I still had the joint pains, but somehow, the pain wasn't such a massive ordeal. Oh, and it also nicely treated my chronic major depressive disorder as well. I thought that maybe if I was on a higher dose, I might have less pain, so my dose of generic (Lupin) duloxetine was increased up to 150mg a day, and I found that although I could function fine during the day, I could not sleep. It was like I was too keyed up or something. Not anxious, just keyed up. I was able to sleep once I dropped my dose back down to 120mg a day. I give Cymbalta a 10 because it is a single medicine that treats two medical conditions!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2019

For Osteoarthritis: “Do not take Cymbalta! The side effects are horrible and the withdrawal symptoms from getting off of it can land you in the hospital. I took it for arthritis and would rather hurt then go through this garbage again. If I had known what damage this drug does I would never have taken it.”

Christy September 22, 2019

For Anxiety: “It worked for me at the beginning in 2017 I went from 60mg to 30mg.I was on it for anxiety. But after a year it really wasn't working, made me very moody and snappy. It actually was giving me more panic attacks and diahrrea. The worst to get off it. Worst symptoms I experienced, I felt better off of it. I feel like got worse after this medication.”

Darkvelbet · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “I have just started off on Cymbalta 30mg. It's working wonders for my chronic pain but the side effects are horrible such as chest pains, dizziness, muscle weakness in arms and sometimes legs, drowsy, mental confusion, insomnia, increased anxiety, nausea and feels like my throat is a bit tight + heart palpitations. It's also difficult too urinate - it seems I gotta really push. I plan on taking Cymbalta 30mg for the rest of my life because it helps with the chronic pain that I'm in and works well. But I could definitely go without the yucky side effects..bleh. I'm 21 years old.. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety,Depression, Fibromyalgia & Pots Syndrome (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)..So yeah I'm in constant pain.”

Galen · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have been on Cymbalta for over a year (60mg per day) and this has been life changing. No side effects at all and my chronic nerve pain (from a herniated disc) is down about 98%. I recommend anyone with nerve pain to at least try this one. I take the generic version.”