User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Chronic Pain

"I was prescribed Cymbalta 20mg @1/day, first thing in the morning for severe sciatic pain. After about 3 days I experienced considerable relief in my pain and stays away until around 8-8:30 PM. What I don't like is the constant sweating. I can be sitting still and start to sweat. It's all facial sweating and it can last for hours. I spoke with my doctor about it and she prescribed Wellbutrin to be taken with the Cymbalta. I tried it for a few days and that gave me diarrhea so I opted to deal with the sweats. Other side effect is muscle or involuntary jerking. Especially when I'm lying still in bed. I just wish big pharma could invent a pill that doesn't have so many side effects and just do what it's designed to do."

LJnDC (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"I have Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor Associated Periodic Syndrome (TRAPS Syndrome) and am in near constant pain (joints, pleurisy & abdominal) I started with 90mg of Cymbalta after breakfast and it certainly takes the edge off of the pain! I don't really have any side effects to speak of. I also take Plaquenil & Sulfasalazine for joint stiffness and rash with fever."

Vettegurrl January 6, 2017

"I had a patient attack me back in 1997 resulting in L shoulder ligament tears, which required surgery. Months after the surgery my L arm was very painful, cold, the skin hurt to touch it. I would cry with the pain daily. After seeing the orthopedic again just before surgery I asked what are you going to do about the cold temperature in my arm. To this point I had only seen physician assistance. The MD took one look at my arm, cancelled the surgery for the next day and sent me immediately to see another Dr in Jacksonville, FL. This Dr took one look at my arm and knew that moment what it was, RSD reflex sympathetic dystrophy. They tried several medications and he sent me to a pain specialists. He stared me on Cymbalta 120 mg daily."

DebMRN (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

"It works in subtle ways. It was supposed to help with RA pain but it has actually helped my outlook on my daily life as well. I feel hope and have extra energy. This relief of pain has helped me be able to draw better boundaries around situations I was allowing to happen in my life. The side effects are mild. I also like that I am not gaining weight. Subtle changes, but works great and in ways I did not expect. It has not taken away my RA pain, but has muted it a bit."

6 weeks - Cymbalta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

"I've had RA for 56 years, and of course pain. Before having my gastric surgery I had tremendous pain in my lower back. A nurse friend who also as RA said I should try it, I took 30mg the first night and rocketed out of bed the next morning; the second night/morning the same thing, no pain and the flexibility to jump right out of bed. The third night I was wondering if I was just having a good couple of mornings, so I skipped the dose; I woke up at 2am with excruciating pain and downed the cymbalta. The next morning around 9am, I launched out of bed forgetting all about any pain. Bottom line, for me it was a God send, like most meds; you can't expect everyone to react the same. It's not rocket science people, get a weeks worth of samples."

FlyGuyRA November 24, 2016

"I developed a chronic pain syndrome post chole 25 year ago. My pain waxed and wained. Pain medication did nothing. The only thing that helped a little was muscle relaxants. My doctor suggested cymbalta. The effect was immediate. I just thought I was having a good week. I took 30 mg daily (lowest dose). The pain never returned. I still have muscle stiffness but the pain associated with it is gone. I have an arthritic thumb from an injury that still causes me pain. So for arthritic pain it does not seem to help. All I can say is give it a try. The effects for me were immediate."

Tuna1 November 5, 2016

"My personal advice to anyone thinking of starting Cymbalta, don't do it. I only wish someone told me before I took it. Granted, it did take the edge off of some of my pain short term. The side effects just aren't worth it. I was fortunate enough to only suffer mood swings, anger, brain zaps and so on for about a month because I wasn't on it that long. They don't tell you that once you start taking Cymbalta, it's near impossible for someone to safely come off on their own if they have been on it more than a couple of months. Just please do your research. Some people have had great success but others barely lived to tell their horror stories and others aren't here"

Diveranda (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

"This works incredibly well for my nerve pain."

Carolina Annie September 28, 2016

"I was started on Cymbalta for pain at 30 mg per day the first month. I experienced mild disruption of sleep for a few nights, but no other side effects. My pain was initially reduced by 70% but began to wear off by evening. Second month my dose was upped to 60 mg per day, which I take at lunch time. My neck pain and neuropathy in hands and feet have been reduced by 90% which is like a miracle to me. I have been able to resume yoga and biking. Life is very good now. I was switched to generic Duloxetine with no loss of benefit and no more side effects. I'm one of the lucky ones who does not suffer many side effects from medications. My sister cannot use this one at all."

SalsaVerde September 9, 2016

"I feel the need to write this review as I read so many negative reviews online of Cymbalta before I started taking it, and they really freaked me out. However, while I cannot negate what others have said as I know this type of medication varies for almost everyone, Cymbalta has been really great for me! I have mysterious chronic pain for over two years now, and after trying so many different things to lessen it (other medications, chiropractic, PT, supplements, acupuncture, stretching, icing....the list goes on), this has been the only thing that has really helped me. My pain hasn't gone away fully, but Cymbalta has made my life a lot easier. I have experienced no side effects so far."

HRUT September 7, 2016

"I started out on 30mg for one week then moved up to 60mg, since starting the larger dose I am having frequent dizzy spells, headaches & fatique. I am planning to give it more time, this rx so far, has been the only rx that has lowered my pain due to chemotherapy. Hopefully, these side effects will stop soon."

thecitycricket August 8, 2016

"I was prescribed 20 mg of Cymbalta three days ago. The agonizing pain in my knees is virtually gone. Not kidding! All the negative posts almost made me quit. Don't give up. I was offended that my doctor prescribed this medication as it is an antidepressant. I convinced myself I wasn't suffering depression I was suffering from chronic pain. Come on people! Who, if you are in chronic pain isn't depressed? I couldn't do anything anymore. I couldn't get out in the garden, couldn't cook for my family, couldn't walk up or down stairs without leaning on the rails. I know it's too soon to tell but I know it is doing what ever it's suppose to do in my brain to cut out the pain."

SandraDV July 21, 2016

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Cymbalta one month ago and saw positive results almost immediately. I was injured in a rear end collision 18 years ago"

scoz July 18, 2016

"I had such terrible pain and lost my ability to walk. My Doctor put me on cymbalta and within 48 hours my pain had decreased. I had to up my dose from 20 to 30 and everything is fine and I am walking and my back and pelvis pain had greatly decreased. Thank God for the drug cymbalta."

Ponchita (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

"I have been on Cymbalta for 5 years. I am bipolar and found it to be an excellent SSRI for depression. I also have osteoarthritis with 2 replaced knees before 50 years old. My meds were being changed around (which we do now and then for efficacy) and I came off the Cymbalta. By day 2 I was in agony. Every joint in my body ached and I was in terrible pain. I went back to my Psychiatrist and by that point he had heard about the connection. I went back on Cymbalta and by day 2 I was up and working in the garden just like before. Absolutely no pain."

plkc2244 June 21, 2016

"i was skeptical. Other meds had not worked for pain. The pain from spinal stenosis and other arthritis and nerve pain was decreased the day after I started taking it. The effectiveness diminished after a month so the dose was increased and it is working well . I have decreased other pain meds, can walk better and am able to do much more"

deba114620 June 18, 2016

"i have taken cymbalta for 5 days now , worked a bit to take some sharp pains away but side effects outweighed the good , i started 30mg dizzy headaches very upset stomache very gassey burping and farting , i had alot of pain along beltline from my belly button all the way to the left side of hip , today i passed bright red blood with clots 3 separate times, i had one other time months ago with severe pain same location and passed blood then too , both times i was on cymbalta so today i got googly and found that cymbalta can cause abnormal bleeding in intestines stomach etc and mixing drugs such as aspirin can increase risk of bleeding , it reads bleeding can get as bad as having a life threatning hemoriage , rxlist.com is 1 source"

mr pain June 15, 2016

"Taking since 2005 for a numbness, icy, electric zapping feeling in my thigh. Started mild and escalated to unbearable over 15 yrs. Kaiser had ignored it for years & I finally consulted an outside doctor who prescribed Cymbalta. No side effects at all. Within weeks the unbearable electric zapping begin lessening. Over time a multitude of issues I thought were untreatable went away. I quit falling down (I am no longer afraid of stairs), I could tap my toe in time to music (previously my reflexes couldn't keep up), the almost constant neuralgia that made my teeth hurt went away. At $350 per month, it was worth twice the price. Now I can no longer afford Cymbalta & the generic makes me so nauseous I cannot take it."

mare333 (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2016

"I've been in chronic pain for YEARS..just the other day I took cymbalta..it worked the first day..unbelievable I was amazed.I read a ton of bad reviews so I was sceptical. But it worked..I dont have to take any pain meds at all. I have fibromyalgia small fiber nuropothy degenerative disc disease osteoarthritis lupus.."

Kelly H714 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

"As this medicine may have helped with my nerve pain it's not worth ALL the side effects I've experienced! This drug has horrible side effects! I'm trying to get off the medication 7 days later still have severe side effects! Look at the side effects before you start your regiment."

Rich G May 15, 2016

"The relief of pain was almost immediate. I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis as well. The meds localize the pain to a tolerable condition. I take the pill first thing in the mornings and it leaves me light-headed and fatigued until late afternoon. I wonder if these symptoms go away after a few months? Will my body get used to it?"

Grandma Cec March 27, 2016

"I thankfully have never had depression! However I have chronic severe pain(ankylosing spondylitis) I tried cymbalta in my mid 30's... YES it made me EXTREMELY nauseous and I got headaches... But only for the first week! I felt like it gave me my life back.. But it was short lived and only took it for 6months because I ended up getting immuned to it. at 60mg /day It did nothing for pain! I went back on it at 39 after many failed attempts of other meds! But this time I also take dalaulid with it for break through pain (usually only need once but sometimes twice a day!!) I've been back on cymbalta for almost 2years now and feel like I have my life back! I'm able to work(I'm a waitress) and drive and LIVE life!"

Kimmy1975 March 17, 2016

"My husband took this drug for 1 month. He started losing his hair and that was a deal-breaker for him. Not enough of a trial to know effectiveness of the drug- but this bad rating was given because of the WITHDRAWALS. Brain zaps, nightmares, anger, vomiting and nausea. We started reading up online concerning the dependency called "Cymbalta Discontinuation Syndrome" ...um WTF?? Please look it up- people are staying on the drug ONLY because the withdrawal symptoms are so bad and can last longer than the time you were taking the drug. My husband could be suffering for a year- we are newlyweds! Please do not start this drug if you haven't already!!!"

nessandnick March 1, 2016

"Awful awful medicine!! Started take 30 mg once a day for Chronic pain at day 19 I had horrible heart palpitations my Dr suggested I get off the medicine by taking one every other day. I tried that after taking one then skipping a day the next day I took another which gave me an awful migraine! I have imitrex for migraines but couldn't take it because in was on cymbaltia so I suffered though a 24 hour migraine! I had to just stop talking it at this point. I've had awful electrocution feeling in my brain for 10 days!! I'm enraged and I'm never like this! Awful, awful drug the people that made this should b ashamed of themselves!!!"

Tmf004 February 22, 2016

"I just started on Cymbalta for excruciating nerve pain behind my right ear. This nerve pain is due to nerve damage from Shingles, PHN. I have to say that I am quite happy with the results so far. It seemed to zap the pain in about an hour from taking my first one. It seems to wear off by the next morning so I am going to try to up it to twice a day, hopefully I will not have trouble sleeping."

Karen H (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015