User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Chronic Pain

Cymbalta has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 141 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Pain. 52% of those users who reviewed Cymbalta reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Sandra · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“I took my first dose around 8:30pm last night (30mg). Went to sleep around 10:30pm. Woke at 2am with hallucination type dreams, felt like I would vomit. I went to the couch so I wouldn’t wake my husband. I shivered, sweated, had diarrhea, and was in a dream like state but couldn’t sleep. The nausea was the worst. Hard to keep even water down. Through the rest of the day I had nausea hitting me hard, could only make it to the bathroom. Finally called the dr and asked for nausea medication and that seems to help some. I’m never taking this again, and wouldn’t recommend it for someone new to Anti-depressants. I’m almost 24 hours from my first dose and I’m still feeling sick, but can eat a little now.”

Chip · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

“Started taking this for pain, over a four month period, with gradual increases up to 120 mg. It gave me severe, severe depression, and made me feel like I wasn’t myself at all. I also had brain frog, and almost 10 lbs weight gain even though it gor rid of my appetite. A lot of water retention especially around my lower abdomen. It also gave me poor sleep and terrifying nightmares. Weaning off now with a schedule from my doctor. I would not only not recommend this drug, but if it must be tried, to talk to your doctor weekly about your moods and feelings in case you start to feel depressed; or worse.”

Queenie · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

“After being on Paxil for over 25 years for anxiety/panic attacks but as I age I have ankle and leg pain. So between the dr and I we thought I should try Cymbalta. So straight to cymbalta 30 mg from 20 mg Paxil. What a nightmarish week no appetite, nausea, throwing up, severe headaches, weakness, tight chest and every side effect listed. Thank the lord I do not work anymore cause there is no way a person could function like that at work. Day 5 called Dr to see what I should do to get off cymbalta, that I’m done. She said just start taking Paxil again. Day two Paxil still trying to get that horrible cymbalta med out of me. Using milk thistle and B complex. Please read all the side effects. Liver and brain damage! Any drinking alcohol has a very high risk of liver damage. High blood pressure also. Do your research ... very scary mind altering drug.General med Drs really need to study more about the horrible withdrawal side effects and side effects of new antidepressants.”

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

“One of the worst medications ever. 1st 5 days, had no desire to do anything. Complete apathy about everything. Also had terrible nausea for 5 days. That finally went away. Then it started feeling like something was literally tapping on my brain. It did nothing for the chronic pain I had. I don't know how anyone can take this medicine. Stopped taking it. Had a headache for a few days, that was it.”

GleeAgain · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2019

“This is the only med that has helped my nerve pain/neuropathy. Lyrica & Neurotin didn’t work. One made me dizzy, the other made my nerve pain worse. I was scared to try Cymbalta after hearing some people say they hated it. Honestly it’s been a Godsend for me. I still have other kinds of pain, but the pins & needles & tingling & burning are no longer there. I take a narcotic a few times a day, but 1/2 what I did before Cymbalta. I may have had some weight gain from it, but I don’t know if it’s this or just my age & diet mostly. I can’t get off the Cymbalta for now as it helps too much. I also used to have some anxiety/panic attacks & I don’t have them on this. I’m able to stop myself thank God. I have a happy sex life with my husband & no negative side effects (except possibly a few pounds). I also have low back pain less frequently. You don’t know til you try it how it might work for you. I take 60mg/night 4-5 years. I’m 45 years old.”

Maggsoct October 18, 2019

“I am taking the time to write a positive review for Cymbalta to hopefully help another person considering this medication. Dose and Side effects -> My experience has been good with brand version of Cymbalta for 1 month - 30 mg. Day 1 a bit nauseous and diarrhea. Nothing else except constipation. Relief-> I suffer from nerve / chronic pain. I felt relief from back pain week 1 and at week 3 my nerve pain is calming down. I have not gained weight. Cymbalta->For those considering this medication, take time to read the good reviews and consider the brand version if you can afford it. Generics aren’t the exact replicas of the original brand. There are umpteen different versions of generics and vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. So you never know what kind you're going to get. Take time to do your research -> I work in medical education. The information is out there on the net to educate us on side effects, generics, withdrawal etc.”

Galen · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2019

“I have been on Cymbalta for over a year (60mg per day) and this has been life changing. No side effects at all and my chronic nerve pain (from a herniated disc) is down about 98%. I recommend anyone with nerve pain to at least try this one. I take the generic version.”

Caligrammy · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

“I have been on Cymbalta for 3 weeks and feel great — free of spine pain and aches that follow surgeries. No longer am I taking pain meds or high doses of aspirin. Keep pinching myself that this is real!”

jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

“I've been on Cymbalta 20 mg for about 5 weeks which was prescribed for chronic hip/lower back pain. Day 2 into the medication the hip/lower back pain was gone! Doc upped the dosage to 40 mg....day 1 after taking 40 mg the arthritis on both hands/fingers was gone also. Very minimum side effects.”

Spiro123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

“This drug had some side effects the first two weeks I could not get more than one hour of sleep. It takes away some of the chronic pain in my hands and I can get a full night sleep. Give it time to work if you're using it for chronic pain don't quit after one month because it takes a good 6 to 7 weeks to really enjoy the benefits of cymbalta”

Amira · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2020

“Cymbalta has been the worst drug I've ever been on and was irresponsibly prescribed by my dr for chronic pain. I was on it for 4 months and it didn't work at all. To make it worse I almost died from withdrawal because my dr took off for 3 months and left no one in his place to write my prescription. Therefore I went into withdrawal, which he never warned me about. This drug is worse than any opiate. If you take your medication responsibly you shouldn't be denied other more helpful medication.”

Tulsa · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

“For nine years I had lower back pain due to a bulging disk. I also had aches/discomfort in the left hip that caused me to walk with a limp. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for chronic pain and a few days later I noticed that the hip aches/discomfort and back pain were gone. I no longer walk with a limp! Very minor side effects.”

SandraDV July 21, 2016

“I was prescribed 20 mg of Cymbalta three days ago. The agonizing pain in my knees is virtually gone. Not kidding! All the negative posts almost made me quit. Don't give up. I was offended that my doctor prescribed this medication as it is an antidepressant. I convinced myself I wasn't suffering depression I was suffering from chronic pain. Come on people! Who, if you are in chronic pain isn't depressed? I couldn't do anything anymore. I couldn't get out in the garden, couldn't cook for my family, couldn't walk up or down stairs without leaning on the rails. I know it's too soon to tell but I know it is doing what ever it's suppose to do in my brain to cut out the pain.”

kazza · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2018

“I don't usually leave reviews for anything and I researched this drug and saw so many negative comments about it so I thought I would leave a positive one. People seem to try this for 1 - 3 days and give up, how is this giving the drug a good chance at working? I have had chronic musculoskeletal lower back pain for just over a year now without any opiates working long term, so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta 30mgs to start with, yes I did have side effects... nausea, insomnia, lack of concentration, fainting, headaches etc but when you are desperate for pain relief you try anything and I stuck it out for the 2 weeks and all the side effects have gone, I now gone up to 60mgs and I feel this is kicking in quite nicely, I don't need my pain patches anymore etc”

Holly · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

“I have RSD = Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy which is a nerve problem cause by damaged nerves, mine is in my right foot in my toes. This Pain is so bad it makes you cry it is that painful. I have had this for 15 years and I will always have been told there is no cure for this disease. My Dr put me on Cymbalta, keep in mind I also have a pain pump in planted in me to also help the pain which it does help but there are times I need to take that edge off, so he put me on Cymbalta been taking it now for a few weeks I have noticed a huge difference in the pain being much much less. It is doing the job it was given to me to do and is working well. Nothing worse than being in pain and not being able to live life, it is miserable but now things have gotten better, not in that miserable state where it ruins your life, life is so much better!”

Always In Pain · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

“Cymbalta is somewhat costly. Initially prescribed for lower back pain. The first 2-3 months, it worked VERY well. It helped with the back pain, and, improved my general mood. Bonus feature, it was helping with my permanent migraine. I had only a few side effects, at first, but, they started building up. Insomnia to the point of 15 minutes of sleep, or less, per day (for over a month), spontaneous ejaculation, cold sweats, no sex drive. Started to get a few electric shock-like sensations in the extremities. Started to feel zombie-like. I came off the stuff cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms included MANY shock-like jolts to hands & feet (for about 6 years), a few months of a zombie-like feeling (Low drive) I'd rate it GOOD for a short-term use (1-2 months). Anything longer than 3 months, I would strongly advise against. (As any other anti-depressant)”

Shesh · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

“Cymbalta has helped me so much for chronic pain. Initially, I felt dizzy and weird for about a month on 30mg a day. And, I didn't think it helped my pain. My doctor increased the dose to 60mg a day and said that is the standard dose for fibromyalgia. Since the dosage increased, my pain has been helped 70 to 80%. I am glad I stuck with it. I haven't gained weight, and my appetite has decreased a little, which is good.”

HRUT September 7, 2016

“I feel the need to write this review as I read so many negative reviews online of Cymbalta before I started taking it, and they really freaked me out. However, while I cannot negate what others have said as I know this type of medication varies for almost everyone, Cymbalta has been really great for me! I have mysterious chronic pain for over two years now, and after trying so many different things to lessen it (other medications, chiropractic, PT, supplements, acupuncture, stretching, icing....the list goes on), this has been the only thing that has really helped me. My pain hasn't gone away fully, but Cymbalta has made my life a lot easier. I have experienced no side effects so far.”

boomergal50 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2019

“I have been on Cymbalta for two months, 60mg in the morning. The first week I was on 30mg to give my body a chance to get used to the drug. I have had no side effects, except maybe a little constipation the first week or two. I am taking it for chronic pain from osteoarthritis in neck and lower back. I do suffer from anxiety and mild depression. My fingers were killing me two months ago. Now when I make a fist the fingers are a little stiff but no pain. My neck pain has been more manageable. I am still having issues with lower back joint dysfunction. I generally feel more optimistic, don't get aggravated at bad drivers, take things a little more easy and have more energy to get things done. My motivation is coming back. I am only rating an 8 at this point since it has only been two months.”

SalsaVerde September 9, 2016

“I was started on Cymbalta for pain at 30 mg per day the first month. I experienced mild disruption of sleep for a few nights, but no other side effects. My pain was initially reduced by 70% but began to wear off by evening. Second month my dose was upped to 60 mg per day, which I take at lunch time. My neck pain and neuropathy in hands and feet have been reduced by 90% which is like a miracle to me. I have been able to resume yoga and biking. Life is very good now. I was switched to generic Duloxetine with no loss of benefit and no more side effects. I'm one of the lucky ones who does not suffer many side effects from medications. My sister cannot use this one at all.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“Not good. Try to change your situation without using cymbalta. If you cannot exercise to relieve your pain then try deep breathing and relaxing music, books or walking. If you are bed ridden, pray and use mindful thinking. It requires time and dedication. Learn stretches with deep breaths but be careful to not break or injure yourself.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 12, 2019

“Cymbalta did not help my pain. I have myofascial pain syndrome. It made it worse because it caused me to clench my jaw. It also came with severe side effects, and then I found out it is almost impossible to get off. Withdrawal symptoms are horrendous and last months to years. I am on a 2 to 3 year taper schedule to get off of this drug that never helped. I gained 40 pounds and have terrible daytime fatigue. If you are considering taking this drug, please do a lot more research”

CieBarbie · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 24, 2019

“I have rheumatoid arthritis that was not responding to orencia, arava, rituxan (!), cimzia or humira. Prior to these medications, I was on enbrel, but it stopped working after 9 years and I was allergic to methotrexate. The cymbalta seemed to make my pain much more bearable. I still had the joint pains, but somehow, the pain wasn't such a massive ordeal. Oh, and it also nicely treated my chronic major depressive disorder as well. I thought that maybe if I was on a higher dose, I might have less pain, so my dose of generic (Lupin) duloxetine was increased up to 150mg a day, and I found that although I could function fine during the day, I could not sleep. It was like I was too keyed up or something. Not anxious, just keyed up. I was able to sleep once I dropped my dose back down to 120mg a day. I give Cymbalta a 10 because it is a single medicine that treats two medical conditions!”

Jlc1963 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2019

“Put on Cymbalta 30 mg with intentions of going up to 60 mg. It was for anxiety, panic attacks, chronic pain from back surgery, stenosis of spine and cervical fusion. I have taken it for 7 months. HAD NO side effects EVER. It helps me sleep at night. My pain, anxiety, and panic attacks are minimal. Only complaint is that I have gained 10lbs and I am hungry all the time. I am still taking 30 mg.”

Socallynsey · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2017

“3 Months and so far this drug has helped me more than PT, steroid shots, yoga, massage, traction, ibuprofen and patience. The side effects were challenging to begin with, but once the first few weeks had passed by, I was feeling pretty normal and back to my old self again. I can't describe how grateful I am for this medication and it's helped me to no end. Don't believe all the negative reviews, but take note of the positive reviews too.”

Izzle · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2019

“I gave it a 2 because it helped with my pain and I saw a very quick change in my anxiety. But I've lost so much sleep over the last year due to insomnia and severe night sweats, my Dr told me take it in the morning instead but since I needed help sleeping this was already doing the opposite. if I miss a single dose I get severe electric shocks starting in my head going to my feet. Burning head but freezing extremities, shakes, nausea and that's the physical symptoms. Mentally I would be wailing and almost hitting my head against a wall begging whatever was going on to stop. I tried going off it cold turkey after a year on 60mg and the physical and mental pain is what I'd imagine heroin withdrawal to be. Now my dosage is halved my chronic pain is back with a vengeance so it was working for my pain but I feel pushing through the pain from the get go would have been easier than going through the side effects of this medication for a year. Be warned this drug is for life.”

Neenah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

“This drug made me so depressed to the point of having suicidal thoughts. When I finally realized that it was causing this, the withdrawal symptoms are worse than anything I've ever experienced. Anxiety, extreme nausea, intense vertigo, muscle spasms. Do not take this drug, there's so many better options.”

Adub0614 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2017

“I suffer from chronic pain, depression and anxiety for the past 10 years and I'm 30. Football ruined my life, but cymbalta has made it worse. Not only did I NOT receive any benefit from cymbalta but I gave it the a serious 2 month try and I'm not spending 90% of my time withdrawing from it. I cannot imagine if I was on this a year, let alone ten. If this medicine helps you, I would weigh the benefits seriously- because either you're going to the grave with this medicine or you're going to have to feel the "benefits" of coming off of this poison. Beware.. because no doctor will tell you these things. Worse than 2 years of clonazepam, alcohol, or opiates... no joke. Hope this helps someone!”