User Reviews for Cymbalta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"For the past year and half I have been on Cymbalta. This medicine has made a significant amount of difference. It helps a lot with depression and nerve pain. Working with a dedicated nurse practitioner and medical team they make a difference. She is a pleasure to work with and provides options for her patients. The Cymbalta reduces the nerve pain. It helps with depression and anxiety. Thank you for the awesome recommendation and support."

Josh D (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Cymbalta 1.5 years ago to treat Major Depressive Disorder. Helped lessen the sadness caused by depression, but also made me numb emotionally. Decided to taper off of Cymbalta, while being advised by my physician, and the withdrawal symptoms were terrible. Currently still on 30mg (down from 120mg) and going to look for easier ways to withdraw. Would not recommend Cymbalta to anyone, as I feel I was doing better before I started the medication, and the withdrawal symptoms aren't worth it."

Zack T (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Cymbalta in August 2016. I was told it was one of the antidepressants that had little side effects. This drug made me extremely tired, almost lethargic, & I gained 20 lbs a matter of 8 months, despite eating healthy. I am a very health conscious person. I lost a lot of hair. My husband actually asked me if I was pulling my hair out. If I missed a dose of this medicine, I literally felt like I had the worst flu ever. I had the chills, diarrhea, achey, etc. I just got off this medicine but am extremely depressed from all of the effects of it. I am now larger than I have been since being pregnant & my hair is thinning. I warn people to avoid Cymbalta at all costs!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"although OK when I first stated to take this 30mg caps, then increased to 60 mg daily...after some years , I am showing more signs of tiredness, confusion, anxiety, hot flushes, and forgetfulness and general mental decline, and still get depressed, among symptoms....am truly concerned about this, as is my Husband and children (as I am not yet 65 yrs old)...and have always been in good health. I do not smoke, do drugs, and very seldom drink alcohol...."

Anna - Rose S May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this drug back in the summer-ish of 2016. I was given 30 mg, which, let me say, was [at the time] The Holy Grail. I lost a bunch of weight, because it had helped me feel good enough to stop emotionally eating. Started on 60 mg, and it felt like a placebo. I accidentally stopped taking it for about 5 days and experienced physical withdrawals which I wasn't warned about until I googled. I'm currently weening myself off of it, because I refuse to be a slave to this or any other drug."

purple reign (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I married a great man. I put this man through hell . I'm 34 was 32 had a hysterectomy and here came menopause. I was living hell. I felt every bad feeling you could possibly feel. For no reason. Finally this Feb 2017 I snapped. I don't remember much other than trying to kill myself. I almost lost my family. I reached out for help my Dr put me on 30mg then 60 now 120. The 1st day I felt brand new. My face was numb but that's it. Everything is brighter better warm and I have love in my ❤ Thank you for saving me!"

Kansas Kim March 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with depression when I was 18 (now 31). I began taking Prozac, which was effective at first, but then it plateaued. My doctor prescribed me 60mg of Cymbalta back then, and that dose has been effective ever since. For a short time, my doctor lowered it to 30mg, and I became severely depressed. Once it was raised back to 60mg, I was a whole new person again. I highly recommend this miracle drug!"

GinaBoBina February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on multiple antidepressants in my lifetime, all were duds. They caused weight gain, fluctuating moods, extreme sadness. My doctor has recently prescribed me 20mg of Cymbalta, after 2 weeks I will switch to 40mg, 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. After reading reviews online I am hopeful, as everyone has reviewed it mainly positive. Currently after being on it for 5 days I am experiencing MAJOR nausea. I can barely breathe without wanting to throw up everywhere. Thankfully, a coworker has given me "phenergan", which is used for nausea, but it is a prescription pill. I called my doctor and explained that this has helped, and she refused putting me on another prescription just to treat the side effects of Cymbalta. SOS!"

Gigi F (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 33 year old female recently prescribed 20mg of Cymbalta for Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD. This medication has rapidly stabilized my condition and greatly contributed to better mood regulation. In less than a week, Cymbalta alleviated suicidal thoughts and my level of distress in response to triggers. Intrusive memories and fearfulness have been very minimal. Daily crying episodes are significantly reduced. Short term side effects included nausea, sharp decrease in appetite, and fatigue. Ongoing side effects are dizziness, afternoon drowsiness, loss of appetite, and weight loss. Dizziness is manageable if I drink water throughout the day. No sexual side effects experienced while on this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cymbalta was a real game changer for me after a lot of trial and error with other antidepressants. It was prescribed to me in 2006 during a major depressive episode in my early twenties that required inpatient hospitalization. The results were remarkable. In a span of 24 hours, I had much greater mood regulation and was not ruminating on negative thoughts. Cymbalta was also helpful in developing healthy eating patterns after a period of binge eating. The appetite suppressing effect made it easier for me to modify portions and lose the weight I'd gained. I took Cymbalta for two years. The only lasting side effect was afternoon and evening tiredness. Titrating off the medication went well except for some nausea that eventually resided."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the most helpful antidepressant for me (previous were Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Effexor). I was getting along with people, working out regularly, and had no side effects except for a bit of drowsiness depending on when I took it. Eventually I was diagnosed with having a bipolar component and so now I'm taking Lamictal with it. Overall a pretty potent and good medication."

roger_d_1989 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can not take this medication due to the fact that you use dyes, I am allergic to them and can not take them, yet manufactors seem to think there is no problem with using dyes. Why not use natural materials like beet juice for color, get away from the dyes, they are not healthy for us."

Brandies September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not give to people under 18 the black box warning is true I was put on this when I was 16 (i'm 19 now) and it made me want to kill myself to the point of hospitalization. Even though that side effect may be rare it does happen. Do not think it won't happen to you or your child because it's so rare. Im blessed to still be alive today. It makes you messed up beyond words. Should never be given to young kids. It ruined my teenage years. It ruined it!!!I am dead serious too!!!"

Macyyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Zoloft for 8 years before it just stopped working. Doctor switched me to Cymbalta and I was very fortunate that it worked, really well for 6 years. Unfortunately, my insurance company switched approval for this to the generic version, which absolutely is not the same. It slowly started losing efficacy. So my doctor had to increase my daily dosage (on the generic version) from 60 mg to 90 mg. At 60 mg, I had didn't have sexual side effects, but I did at 90 mg, which was not acceptable to me. So back down to 60 mg I went. Now I'm having "break through" symptoms again: anger, irritability, lack of interest in things. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm pretty sure I have to switch meds completely again."

Time for a new med (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I gave it an ok review score because it did make feel less depressed. However, as a whole I think cymbalta is bad for you and can lead to terrible health consequences. The side effects I experienced while taking the drug (30 mgs for 6 months) were horrible and I gained a ton of weight which didn't help the initial cause of me wanting to take the drug - depression (when you don't feel confident your less happy, what can I say). A few lbs to become a happier person is ok, but it really made me gain weight and also made me tired, nausea, sweaty, and experience muscle spasms. Along with this, withdrawing was horrible. I wish big pharma would be less money hungry and focus on creating effective medications with reduced side effects."

cymbaltaisbad June 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for a year and a half,it worked great for my anger issues but did very little for my depression...It also worked well for my fibromyalgia...The down fall for me was feeling like a zombie 24/7,to the point of not even having energy to clean my house,have a shower daily or even brush my teeth...I just didn't care about anything at all...Not a good way to live "

Janeypooh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started cymbalta at 24 and I'm now 32... I changed to them after I had my first born but from 18 years old I was on Luvox! Yes first year or so I felt the cymbalta helped me a lot. More then the Luvox ever did. But for about a while now I really have noticed the bad things.... I get a migraine if i haven't taken one by 6pm. I get snappy and angry if I just miss one day... Last yr i Kept forgetting to take my scripted into get filled. After a few days I was yelling and crying and dug myself in a hole! I couldn't get out of bed the war in my head was so bad! My fam even called doctors on me because they were that worried.... The doctors advice was to go back on my cymbalta and start councelling! I want to change it but I hate it!"

LizaMac84 April 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had depression as far back as I can remember, diagnosed with GA and major depression along with PTSD due to two life changing events I went though. I've tried zoloft (did nothing ) Effexor XR ( Made me sleep 24/7) Celexa ( caused SEVERE anxiety attacks) and just started Cymbolta, on day 7 and I can't believe how much better I already feel at 30mg 1x day. I also just had 2 major back surgeries and am learning to walk again at age 35, yet despite my trials, I feel happier, positive, lowered anxiety etc. First day I did have severe throwing up spells, but that's gone, low appetite still but a good thing for me, INCREASED sex drive & sleep like a baby. I take it at 8 everyday. Good luck, everyone's different!"

Abelslove80 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this med due to degenerative arthritis in my neck and depression, (I was taken off the other mood meds and swapped to just this) For two weeks I took 30 mg, which didn't seem to help much, I also suffer from headaches/migraines. I was upped to 60mg which after the 3rd day was the first time in over 40 years I didn't wake up with a headache. It's been 4 days now with no headache, I have a bit of a humming in my ear, like when an amp is left on, but I'll take that over headaches any day, occasionally I've had the runs, but not sure if this is med related. I have noticed an improvement in my mood, also, I should mention also started seeing a Chiropractor for the first time and she's also done some miracle work on the neck."

In My Opinion (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PTSD has been horrific. I starting this new treatment has without question saved my life all medication needs a little bit of will to get better so I started yoga classes and read a lot of self help books and with the medication as a crutch I'm getting the help I need."

dannylinn (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is the devil. It destroyed my life. It took everything that made me who I am away from me & locked it in a little box. I didn't notice my personality changing, I didn't notice how heavily I'd started to drink because it was creating more symptoms than it was treating. My partner, also on Cymbalta for slightly longer than I (probably still on it) also changed... He went from kind & considerate to selfish & cold. He avoided conflict at all costs when I met him, when we parted ways he would happily start arguments. Yes, Cymbalta helped me for about 2 months, but from there it was all side effects (apart from the aforementioned) of uncontrollable sweating & mood swings on top of the depression & anxiety it was supposed to be treating"

ConcernedStranger (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 60mg per day for over a year. Worked very well until recently. It kept the depression in check, but the anxiety is back in full swing. Don't skip a dose unless you like the zaps."

Olive Ewe (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got switched to this medicine after tapering off Effexor. It was tough at first, but I am now feeling more like myself than I have in years. Thank you cymbalta"

Anonymous December 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Positive experience! I have SAD, GAD, Social Anxiety and Depression. I have been taking 90 mg for 10 years now. I had tried Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin and Celexa. These had each worked for about a year and then didn't work anymore. I have one side effect that I deal with. I have hot flashes. But this has been ok to deal with because my head finally felt right. I was able to go off of my anti-anxiety medication some years ago. After all this time on Cymbalta I have gone through some major life changes in the last year and my anxiety has come back. My depression has been sneaking back as well. I am trying CBT with a little success. I think I may need an increased dose or may have to try something new, which I dread."

Loverofkittiecats (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mood was boosted for awhile when I first started taking it, but then levelled off to the point of ineffectiveness. Did work very well for my fibromyalgia pain, but not worth the extremely high price."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015