User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I personally didn't like this medication as it made me so sick I couldn't eat lost weight and generally felt weak due lack of energy from not eating. Although my GP told me this was a rare occurrence as the side effects generally stop after a couple of days after weeks they didn't. Still looking for a medication that suits me personally. Glad it has been effective so many others"

Muchelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

"So far, life changing"

Vcccc May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My thoughts on Cymbalta: Cymbalta has left me in a fog. I have no feelings- NONE. Driving is a chore as my eyes are excessively shifty. God forbid you ever forget to take your medication as you will be stricken with these obnoxious little shocks (which I've recently learned were called 'brain zaps'.) My heart beat is erratic. My brain is unable to form the right words when I talk which causes me to pause when I speak. I zone out regularly. I've been trying to taper off of this medication and am on day 9. The withdrawals are debilitating. I cannot focus. My chest and my jaw are tense. My fog has worsened significantly. Driving is dangerous as my vision is blurred. I am angry and easily agitated. I feel like crying but I can't. JUST SAY NO!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My new doctor recently switched me from klonopin to Cymbalta. I'd been taking Klonopin for two years at a low dose with NO issues, but this doctor can't help meddling. Anyway, this Cymbalta is a nightmare. I'm not depressed, just have anxiety, so why am I taking this? I've been so edgy and nauseous since starting it. I can't sleep, and sit in meetings at work spacing out. Never take this medication. I'm seeing my doc next week and am just going to flatly say I'm not taking this anymore. Luckily a different doc prescribes the Klonopin."

Jame F April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within 2 hours of taking the medication, my brain lit up, it felt like I was high. I couldn't contain the energy, so I went for a run. By midway through the day I went to the park with my nephews, I took them on the swings. I thought I'd go on with them, so I started swinging and it felt like I was going to die. The most terrible feeling of fear I have ever experienced. It felt like I was free falling. I had a total panic attack. At the end of it I freaked out and just needed to get home. Could barely drive or focus. By day two I started feeling terrible raw feeling in my stomach, fought the feeling of vomiting most of the day, exhausted detached. My brain would fluctuate between euphoria and complete inability to calculate or communicate."

Dr stranglove April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried prozac, effexor, welbutrin and buspar. Cymbalta is the only med that makes me feel normal and cures my anxiety with no noticeable side effects. There is a withdrawal if I miss a dose and it involves being very sleepy, vivid dreams and night sweats. It's not fun, but it's worth feeling normal again."

Alezie (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please DO NOT take this!!!! I have taking it for 7 years it never really worked I don't know why I kept taking it, When I was diagnose with mood disorder they put me on new meds and took me off cymbalta. They did wean me off BUT I WAS AWFUL THE WITHDRAWALS WERE AND STILL ARE 3 WEEKS LATER SO BAD!!! THE BRAIN ZAPS ARE THE WORST AND THEN THERE IS SWEATING SHAKING NAUSEA PLEASE DON'T EVEN START IT EVEN IF IT MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD"

Pamipoo414 February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 10 days into my treatment, the hospital started me on 30mg then told me to increase the dose to 60mg after 7 days. So far, so good. I have to say that I'm getting on well with the drug but I'm experiencing some insomnia and so take Valium for that (around 10mg). I hope that as time goes on and my dose of cymbalta increases that this drug continues to work and and I feel even more of its benefits as I want to start reducing the Valium at some point in the future. I'm in the UK and so do not pay for this drug and as my Doctor has certified me as being unfit for work, I don't have to pay for any medication at all."

Nick_C_1983 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

"I just started taking"

Bebs January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 30 mg for GAD and insomnia. After a month or so, I became so hyper and my insomnia went from only sleeping a few hours every day to having days of no sleep. Ativan, which had always helped me sleep, no longer worked. My thoughts were scattered, often terrifying so it was good they were brief I guess (it "cured" the anxiety, as I couldn't worry about something before the thought of it was just gone), I couldn't focus, became unable to work at all. I was weaned off about two weeks ago, still can't function at all. I am a bit better now than when on it, but far worse than I was before. I wish I never touch this stuff, I feel like I will never get my life back again, certainly never my career."

cutenickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cymbalta has made a huge difference. I was in constant pain and emotionally distraught 24/7. Now, taking 60mg a day I feel alive again. The only thing i dont like is my inability to deep sleep but i will take it over constant pain and distress any day."

Angel5279 December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was put on this after 5 days of no sleep with anxiety. It took week or two to kick in but has saved me. I am much more level and less anxious, no sleepless nights although I do take phenergan (antihistamine )to help with that"

Mattyjingle (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Out of the blue I started experiencing anxiety, I was nervous for no reason and having anxiety about anxiety! I tried change my diet and so on. Then I had the mother of all panic attacks (I'd never had one). I quickly realized that I needed to talk to my doctor. I tried zoloft and celexa, both gave me terrible side effects. I stuck with zoloft for 2 months and wasnt feeling any better so I went off discouraged. Then I started on cymbalta. Its been about 5 months with zero side effects. I realized a few days ago that the meds must be working, on a particularly stressful day I felt a panic attack coming on but it just didn't materialize into anything. Then I realized I really haven't been nervous for sometime. It can get better :) 40mg"

30yrs mother & wifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have GAD and mild depression. I initially had side effects such as insomnia, no appetite, and nausea but they went away after a few days. This has helped my anxiety tremendously! It is not without side effects though. If I forget to take it I will get nausea, headaches and dizziness. I did gain weight and some diarrhea but it has had no bad sexual side effects. I have been taking this for a year now. I am finding that the depression is now increasing so maybe time for a dosage change. Just keep in mind everyone is different and sometimes the benefits outweigh the effects."

ItWorksnow October 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on cymbalta 30 mg for days now. Controls my anxiety and my hunger. I hv lost about 8lbs and feel good. Also helps with my sleep at night. I am happy"

Lorraine 1972 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Cymbalta Time Release (for Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety) before bedtime at 11 p.m., 2 nights ago. I felt fine that night, until the next morning. I started feeling very nauseous and sick, (which I have a severe phobia to vomiting), I started sweating, chills, dizzy feeling, which threw me into a severe panic attack, which made me feel even more nauseous, which made my panic attack last longer. I couldnt calm myself down. I felt like I was in a nightmare! I didnt start feeling any better until about 8 pm that evening. Its been 2 days since ive taken Cymbalta and im still experiencing major panic attacks 3-4 x's a day with nausea and vomiting. I wish i had never taken that medicine now!"

MamawOf10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking "Cymbalta" (Duloxetine 60mg daily) just under one year ago. I was suffering from SEVERE and debilitating anxiety, everyday, all day for months. Prior to that I had been suffering with anxiety mildly for about 5 years, with the occasional anxiety attack every few months. It rapidly changed to a severe problem where I was battling anxiety attacks daily, even multiple a day. I was sure I could "beat" anxiety with exercise, therapy, better work/home life balance, and being an overall healthier version of myself. But I quickly learned that there was no "beating" anxiety. So instead, I reluctantly decided to treat it with medication. And it has SAVED my life. I actually have a life now."

DADXOXOX (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First dose made me sick feeling, nauseous, stomach issues. Created too many problems, I rather live with anxiety. Wish the drug people would come out with something new, w/o so many bad side effects. I will not take this drug ever. My anxiety is mild compared to many. I can function pretty good most of the time. Things are very stressful for me now with a sick husband. Don't take this drug."

Southern Gal August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It changed my life. Had anxiety every day for 4 years. My anxiety is like blowned away and I can start working with my self. Now 1 year on Cymbalta and still feeling fine."

Mike84Sweden August 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Add on to 30mg mirtazapine. Cymbalta taken in morning. 1st day: diarrhea, very stoned feeling all day, slightly more anxious. 2nd day: slightly more depressed and anxious, a little less stoned feeling, slight constipation, sexual dysfunction. 3rd day: extremely depressed...worst I've ever felt. Suicidal. 4th day: same extreme and worsening depression. Couldn't handle it, stopped taking it after 4th day. Worsened depression to the extreme. Don't know if the side effects would've lessened, but couldn't take the extreme depression. Sexual dysfunction also added to depression."

Frankly July 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Be careful when taking this medication. I took my first tablet yesterday in the morning and started feeling unwell during the day. Was out at a restaurant for lunch and started feeling so nauseous and burst into tears, and had to leave before my food arrived. Went home and felt so sick I slept for a couple of hours. Woke up and had some food, thought I was starting to feel better but a couple hours after that I collapsed (luckily I was at home with family) and was vomiting and had a severe fever, can't put into words just how horrible I was feeling. Woke up still feeling sick, of course didn't take another tablet, and am starting to feel better now about 38 hours after taking the tablet."

Sally547896 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Cymbalta for a few years now (on various doses) alongside clonazepam (0.5mg twice/day) and I have to say its been the worst experience of my life. I was put on it after Effexor XR basically stopped working after 4 yrs.At first cymbalta seemed to "take the edge off". I didnt notice many of the initial side effects because of my severe withdrawal from Effexor.But after about 9 months at 30mg Cymbalta just stopped working and actually started to make me experience anxiety and panic attacks that were insanely intense. I have moved up to 60mg and back down to 30, upped my clonazepam and its just gotten worse and worse. Weight gain (50lbs), severe panic attacks, gad, severe depression, ocd, stomachache, IBS, headache, ..."

Panicatthefreakshow May 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe anxiety depression. I've tried all the meds out, as my doctor would say. Cymblatla was suggested. And me needing to feel normal tried it. Worst experience of my life. Was on 40mg. Felt like I was having an out of body experience, like someone was pulling me, everywhere. Dr told to stick with it, and lower dose (I actually did, did not recommend talk to Dr first). Nothing changed. I was talking without thinking, having more and more panic attacks and higher anxiety. Absolutely zero libido, and I gained weight. I felt "happy", but a weird happy. So, finally I TELL my doctor for the third time in 9 months, I want off this medication. Withdrawl symptoms no joke. It's been a month and I still have w.d effects"

#areallthegoodnamestaken May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"These pharmaceutical companies need to figure out ways to engineer better medications. I went on cymbalta for about 8 months after a long struggle with anxiety. I had mild depressive episodes as well, but it didn't really bother me and mostly came as a result of having bad anxiety that I felt I couldn't control. Cymbalta was great at first, I seemed to actually lose a little weight (didn't need to but any girl likes to see that) and I had a great mood much of the time. However, I started noticing that it wasn't doing anything for my actual anxiety. It started making me gain weight, I was too tired from the medicine to go the gym, and had a hard time even making it to the library to study (I'm a college student)."

Sophia1234567 April 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed for depression, but it affected my panic disorder very much. I went from 6-7 panic attacks a day to 1-2 a week/month. It really really helped with my anxiety overall too. I feel less anxious. The initial 2 weeks were horrible though, increased anxiety, hot flashes. And it interacts with a lot of medications (including vitamin d supplements)"

Nfngkfng (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016