User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I just started taking"

Bebs January 6, 2017

"I was on 30 mg for GAD and insomnia. After a month or so, I became so hyper and my insomnia went from only sleeping a few hours every day to having days of no sleep. Ativan, which had always helped me sleep, no longer worked. My thoughts were scattered, often terrifying so it was good they were brief I guess (it "cured" the anxiety, as I couldn't worry about something before the thought of it was just gone), I couldn't focus, became unable to work at all. I was weaned off about two weeks ago, still can't function at all. I am a bit better now than when on it, but far worse than I was before. I wish I never touch this stuff, I feel like I will never get my life back again, certainly never my career."

cutenickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

"Cymbalta has made a huge difference. I was in constant pain and emotionally distraught 24/7. Now, taking 60mg a day I feel alive again. The only thing i dont like is my inability to deep sleep but i will take it over constant pain and distress any day."

Angel5279 December 23, 2016

"Was put on this after 5 days of no sleep with anxiety. It took week or two to kick in but has saved me. I am much more level and less anxious, no sleepless nights although I do take phenergan (antihistamine )to help with that"

Mattyjingle (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2016

"Out of the blue I started experiencing anxiety, I was nervous for no reason and having anxiety about anxiety! I tried change my diet and so on. Then I had the mother of all panic attacks (I'd never had one). I quickly realized that I needed to talk to my doctor. I tried zoloft and celexa, both gave me terrible side effects. I stuck with zoloft for 2 months and wasnt feeling any better so I went off discouraged. Then I started on cymbalta. Its been about 5 months with zero side effects. I realized a few days ago that the meds must be working, on a particularly stressful day I felt a panic attack coming on but it just didn't materialize into anything. Then I realized I really haven't been nervous for sometime. It can get better :) 40mg"

30yrs mother & wifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

"I have GAD and mild depression. I initially had side effects such as insomnia, no appetite, and nausea but they went away after a few days. This has helped my anxiety tremendously! It is not without side effects though. If I forget to take it I will get nausea, headaches and dizziness. I did gain weight and some diarrhea but it has had no bad sexual side effects. I have been taking this for a year now. I am finding that the depression is now increasing so maybe time for a dosage change. Just keep in mind everyone is different and sometimes the benefits outweigh the effects."

ItWorksnow October 14, 2016

"Been on cymbalta 30 mg for days now. Controls my anxiety and my hunger. I hv lost about 8lbs and feel good. Also helps with my sleep at night. I am happy"

Lorraine 1972 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

"I started taking Cymbalta Time Release (for Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety) before bedtime at 11 p.m., 2 nights ago. I felt fine that night, until the next morning. I started feeling very nauseous and sick, (which I have a severe phobia to vomiting), I started sweating, chills, dizzy feeling, which threw me into a severe panic attack, which made me feel even more nauseous, which made my panic attack last longer. I couldnt calm myself down. I felt like I was in a nightmare! I didnt start feeling any better until about 8 pm that evening. Its been 2 days since ive taken Cymbalta and im still experiencing major panic attacks 3-4 x's a day with nausea and vomiting. I wish i had never taken that medicine now!"

MamawOf10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

"Started taking "Cymbalta" (Duloxetine 60mg daily) just under one year ago. I was suffering from SEVERE and debilitating anxiety, everyday, all day for months. Prior to that I had been suffering with anxiety mildly for about 5 years, with the occasional anxiety attack every few months. It rapidly changed to a severe problem where I was battling anxiety attacks daily, even multiple a day. I was sure I could "beat" anxiety with exercise, therapy, better work/home life balance, and being an overall healthier version of myself. But I quickly learned that there was no "beating" anxiety. So instead, I reluctantly decided to treat it with medication. And it has SAVED my life. I actually have a life now."

DADXOXOX (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2016

"First dose made me sick feeling, nauseous, stomach issues. Created too many problems, I rather live with anxiety. Wish the drug people would come out with something new, w/o so many bad side effects. I will not take this drug ever. My anxiety is mild compared to many. I can function pretty good most of the time. Things are very stressful for me now with a sick husband. Don't take this drug."

Southern Gal August 16, 2016

"It changed my life. Had anxiety every day for 4 years. My anxiety is like blowned away and I can start working with my self. Now 1 year on Cymbalta and still feeling fine."

Mike84Sweden August 3, 2016

"Add on to 30mg mirtazapine. Cymbalta taken in morning. 1st day: diarrhea, very stoned feeling all day, slightly more anxious. 2nd day: slightly more depressed and anxious, a little less stoned feeling, slight constipation, sexual dysfunction. 3rd day: extremely depressed...worst I've ever felt. Suicidal. 4th day: same extreme and worsening depression. Couldn't handle it, stopped taking it after 4th day. Worsened depression to the extreme. Don't know if the side effects would've lessened, but couldn't take the extreme depression. Sexual dysfunction also added to depression."

Frankly July 25, 2016

"Be careful when taking this medication. I took my first tablet yesterday in the morning and started feeling unwell during the day. Was out at a restaurant for lunch and started feeling so nauseous and burst into tears, and had to leave before my food arrived. Went home and felt so sick I slept for a couple of hours. Woke up and had some food, thought I was starting to feel better but a couple hours after that I collapsed (luckily I was at home with family) and was vomiting and had a severe fever, can't put into words just how horrible I was feeling. Woke up still feeling sick, of course didn't take another tablet, and am starting to feel better now about 38 hours after taking the tablet."

Sally547896 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

"I've been on Cymbalta for a few years now (on various doses) alongside clonazepam (0.5mg twice/day) and I have to say its been the worst experience of my life. I was put on it after Effexor XR basically stopped working after 4 yrs.At first cymbalta seemed to "take the edge off". I didnt notice many of the initial side effects because of my severe withdrawal from Effexor.But after about 9 months at 30mg Cymbalta just stopped working and actually started to make me experience anxiety and panic attacks that were insanely intense. I have moved up to 60mg and back down to 30, upped my clonazepam and its just gotten worse and worse. Weight gain (50lbs), severe panic attacks, gad, severe depression, ocd, stomachache, IBS, headache, ..."

Panicatthefreakshow May 3, 2016

"I have severe anxiety depression. I've tried all the meds out, as my doctor would say. Cymblatla was suggested. And me needing to feel normal tried it. Worst experience of my life. Was on 40mg. Felt like I was having an out of body experience, like someone was pulling me, everywhere. Dr told to stick with it, and lower dose (I actually did, did not recommend talk to Dr first). Nothing changed. I was talking without thinking, having more and more panic attacks and higher anxiety. Absolutely zero libido, and I gained weight. I felt "happy", but a weird happy. So, finally I TELL my doctor for the third time in 9 months, I want off this medication. Withdrawl symptoms no joke. It's been a month and I still have w.d effects"

#areallthegoodnamestaken May 2, 2016

"These pharmaceutical companies need to figure out ways to engineer better medications. I went on cymbalta for about 8 months after a long struggle with anxiety. I had mild depressive episodes as well, but it didn't really bother me and mostly came as a result of having bad anxiety that I felt I couldn't control. Cymbalta was great at first, I seemed to actually lose a little weight (didn't need to but any girl likes to see that) and I had a great mood much of the time. However, I started noticing that it wasn't doing anything for my actual anxiety. It started making me gain weight, I was too tired from the medicine to go the gym, and had a hard time even making it to the library to study (I'm a college student)."

Sophia1234567 April 25, 2016

"Was prescribed for depression, but it affected my panic disorder very much. I went from 6-7 panic attacks a day to 1-2 a week/month. It really really helped with my anxiety overall too. I feel less anxious. The initial 2 weeks were horrible though, increased anxiety, hot flashes. And it interacts with a lot of medications (including vitamin d supplements)"

Nfngkfng (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"I have been dealing with depression since 1990 and run the whole inventory of SSRI's available. Prozac was effective the first 2 years then became ineffective. The only drug that has helped me for an extended period of time was Paxil. Paxil eventually became ineffective after 5 years. So the wonder drug Cymbalta comes on the scene and I thought I had finally found the magical cure. I've been on 60 mg of Cymbalta for about a year and once again the roof is caving in and very abruptly. This past week I've been suicidal for 3 days. Why? The circumstances in my life that so often can trigger anxiety or depression are the same as always. How can an SSRI become instantaneously ineffective? I'm not raving about Cymbalta any longer."

Sparky1945 April 2, 2016

"I've just been on 60mg for 4 weeks and the improvement has been great. My anxiety is all but gone..and I can't tell you how good it feels not to worry about every single thing i life. I enjoy things more and can focus longer as a result, absorbing things better, instead of just randomly seeing everything. I was a bit nauseous to start and tired, but its all but gone as well. I've also lost 2 pounds..Very happy so far!"

ErzaK (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took 1 30mg and it has made me so sick. I've been having flu like symptoms and my anxiety is through the roof. I couldn't sleep last night and this was just taking 1. I normally take Valium 20mg a day and Ativan 1mg and I'm ok but lately with all meds I think my body after so many years is used to the benzodiazepines they aren't working as well. I'm still having panic attacks that are disabling. I need help. Every SSRI or SNRI doesn't not work at all. I took from my teens until I was 22 ecstasy everyday and when I stopped is when the anxiety started and has never left even though I've been quit for 11 years. I don't want to be on medications any more I just want to live life that's all :( this medicine ruined an entire day for me."

PanicMode247 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

"After taking Cymbalta for 3 weeks I had gradually started after week 1 to become very dizzy, rapid heart beats, anxiety, after week 2 the anxiety and panic attacks became severe, and the last day of taking it I felt like I was having a heart attack for 8 hours. It was after Cymblata had been out on the market for roughly one year a warning to Thyroid patients had been published , Hypothyroid Hoshimotos thyroiditis patient since 1989, since that time I am allergic to about 20 other medications used for fibromyalgia, myopathy, polyneuropathy, neuropathy, and so on. Another aspect with Cymbalta is that if your doctor is not up to education outside the representative selling this product then one could consider the patient mentally unstable."

TJP101 January 17, 2016

"Cymbalta ruined my life. If I forgot to take it one time it would be like going through heroin withdrawal. Not to mention my brain feel like mush when taking it forgetting things doing odd things. Don't get me wrong the first 2 months was great but everything slowly started getting worse. Emotional outbursts, angry all the time, overwhelming feelings, unable to control my emotions, suicidal thoughts, blood pressure dropping all the time and the list is endless. I ended up making my doctor take me off this medication I felt like I was losing my mind. The withdrawal from cymbalta is absoultley horrble. I have never posted a review on anything online ever! But people need to know how terrible this medication is."

Ronniekins90 December 20, 2015

"I have experienced anxiety and mild depression for several years. I finally decided to get help. Cymbalta has really helped. I noticed a change in the first couple days. My anxiety has all but disappeared. Experienced dry mouth and interrupted sleep the first several days. I have experienced tiredness but that has lessened over this month and I hope will go away all together."

Anxiousmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

"I have been taking this medication for about 2 months and have found it very helpful. I have a bed chemical imbalance disorder which just means that there are too many chemicals in my brain they were causing me to faint, have twitches and shiveres nearly every hour and seizures, to the point where I ended up in hospital after smacking my head on tiles during an episode. So far so good the medication has helped a lot. I think for nerve damage or anxiety this medication will help but maybe not for depression. I am always exhausted and my libido has significantly reduced but no twitches or seizures. I do notice that if I forget to take the medication or I drink my twitches and fits return :( Does not mix well with alcohol ."

AmieLouise December 15, 2015

"I've anxiety had a minimal level 4 about 6 months now and it has been getting worse and worse now my doctor tells me to up my cymbalta 290 milligrams, it's been about the month that I have done that along with taking my anxiety medicine both together really isn't doing much good. Will it help me?"

Smiley 357842367 December 9, 2015