User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Mags August 19, 2020

“I was prescribed Cymbalta for generalized anxiety disorder, and I was on it for about 10 months. I can’t say it really helped me with anxiety, and I finally decided to try to come off it because it was raising my heart rate. After trying to slowly taper for 2 to 3 weeks, the side effects were so extreme and so uncomfortable that I decided to stop taking the medication altogether in an attempt to rid it from my body as quickly as possible. I experienced every single one of the potential side effects of withdrawal. The worst side effects have been dizziness, vertigo, brain zaps, brain fog, nausea, and diarrhea. These side effects have been going on for three weeks and have been getting worse with no end in sight. I have no idea when or if the side effects of withdrawal will go away, but I can do nothing but lie in bed until they do. Please, please, please do not go on this medication. It should be banned.”

Boogle · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“I have only been on this medication for a week but I already notice a huge difference. I suffer from depression and anxiety as well as panic attacks. I noticed a difference the 3rd day. My mind isn’t racing 100 mph and I can concentrate. Anxiety is still there a little bit, but no panic attacks. I had some nausea and diarrhea but I’m not sure if that was from Cymbalta as a bug was going around. First few nights I had sleep issues, but those have passed. No sexual side effects thus far. I was on lexipro before and I hated it. Get like a zombie. This is altogether different. I know each drug is different for everyone, but so far cymbalta has done wonders for me”

a person · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 as well as anxiety, OCD, ADD, depression etc. I decided to start going down off my 900 mg of lithium due to the fact that I felt it was not helping much anymore. So my psych prescribed me 20 mg dose of Cymbalta to start to help with my severe anxiety. For the first month I noticed a small change in the way I felt. So we decided to go up to 30 mg. One week after starting the new dose, my life changed. I remember waking up one morning and just being happy. Everything seemed lighter and my anxiety as well as depression lifted. Unfortunately two months into that, my bipolar mania symptoms started coming back. So we are trying to figure out how to safely manage all symptoms. All in all, Cymbalta has made the biggest difference in my life.”

Lexi20 · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

“I was scared to take this med after the reviews. An anxiety attack triggered me to finally try it. I took 1 tablet 30 mg yesterday afternoon with lunch and experienced nothing until night. I was having constant random visions all night, when I finally got up in the morning I began shaking, my skin felt like it was burning, I was on fire hot, and my mouth was so incredibly dry. Then I got the chills. Shaking, burning skin, chills, dizziness went all day. I was wiped out tired and could not eat. I was in bed all of this beautiful day until 4:30pm when I forced myself up. Honestly I felt poisoned. I drank 2 gallons of water waiting to flush this out of my body. It was about 28 hours from the time I took it until I felt somewhat back to normal.”

Kj · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

“So started my first dose of Cymbalta 30mg last night and woke up feeling ok... a bit off and feel weird kinda thing. I don’t like my anxiety so I’m hoping this works :( my main thing I’m worried about is if the I would know if it’s side effects or just my anxiety:( and I’m hoping this medication doesn’t hurt me :(”

Chelso · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 18, 2019

“I have panic disorder, GAD, and intermittent depressive episodes. After trying numerous SSRI's (Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lexapro, etc.) my GP thought we should try an SNRI. I have had excellent results on this one called Cymbalta. No sexual side effects, no weight gain (in fact, some slight weight loss), no brain "zaps". I have been on 90mg per day, but my Psychiatrist just increased me to 120mg/day. I do have some fatigue but not sure if it's related to the med or not and I'd rather be a little tired than suffer constantly. This has been a lifesaver.”

Jason · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“Had a great 12 years with lexapro 10mg, it stopped working. For the last 3 years I’ve tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Vybridd, Trintellix and Cymbalta. With all of them I felt a floaty, sedated feeling all day long. Cymbalta is starting to work. I believe its the noreprephrine component of the drug that’s helping me stay more focused and energized during the day. I’m on 60 mg daily. Pyschs and GP’s alike don’t know the effects of withdrawal unless they’ve experienced it themselves. Not every patient’s cure comes out of a medical text book and docs need to understand that you’re not neurotic and these drugs effect your delicate brain chemistry. Rapidly tapering from one drug to another can be disastrous for some. My thoughts are with those going through this, trying to land on the right med.”

Mr. Noshow · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

“Was hesitant to start the drug with all the horror stories but I guess that's with any drug that's not right for that individual. I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I suffer from GAD, fatigue, & was dealing with back & neck pain. Drug started to work pretty quick. Doc switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta when Zoloft stopped working after a year. I had some dizziness & felt off for a couple of weeks but nothing like Prozac. Started out at 30mg during the transition but jumped up to 60mg after 2 weeks when I stopped zoloft. The drugs has worked well so far. I can see a significant reduction in anxiety which has given me the energy to start exercising again. It's also put me in a good mood & reduced pain by 80%. On week 2 of 60mg so I hope it continues to improve.”

Loz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2019

“I have anxiety, panic disorder, autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder. Overall I have had a very positive response to duloxetine. Side effects: There is the initial fatigue & a lot of yawning. That went away after about 3 weeks. I had difficulty peeing during the night. This faded over time. Difficulty to orgasm after I went up to 90mg, this faded after a few weeks. This medication makes my brain work better & gives me a better quality of life and an opportunity to live rather than just survive. If you identify with any of my symptoms & have been recommended duloxetine by your doctor, I say it is worth giving it a try. When it is the right medication for you it is life changing! And please don't rush to come off them. If you need them you need them and that's okay. They are your friend. I feel grateful that science has given me this opportunity to support me.”

Beth · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2019

“One year Cymbalta honest review. I started Cymbalta about a year ago as I have struggled all my life with social anxiety and general anxiety. About a month before I started taking it, I started getting really bad anxiety attacks every day and had my first ever panic attack (Which prompted the doctor's visit for help).The first week was OK. I had no appetite and felt anxious all the time for no reason. Then, suddenly my whole mood changed and I became a lot more cheerful and talkative person. I actually wanted to do things, instead of stay at home. Note to everyone with bad reviews: this doesn't work overnight. It takes time for the chemicals in your brain to balance. I would say it takes 2 weeks to see some effects to take place, and at least a month or two to experience the full positive effects. But, it is so worth it! I highly recommend Cymbalta to those struggling with depressive thoughts or anxiety disorders! I have only had ONE anxiety attack since taking it, and no panic attacks”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 21, 2019

“I was prescribed 30mg of Cymbalta to deal with anxiety and slight depression. The medication is supposed to be titrated up to 120mg and I hard a hard time even convincing my therapist to go to 60mg. Once I hit 60mg it went downhill. I lost all ability to focus, and found myself not enjoying much of anything. I was tired all the time and started nodding off all day even at work. I stopped taking it, which I know isn't the brightest idea but I've gotten some of my focus back.”

Finn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2019

“Since there’s many reviews that seem to scare people about this drug (like some other antidepressants anyways) I’ll tell you my personal experience with it. First of all I’m a 22 year old male who suffers of general anxiety disorder with frequent panic attacks. I’m also emotionally dependent on my partner in my actual relationship and trying to take care of these problems with therapy plus the meds. I was on Celexa before and it didn’t seem to work anymore so my doctor switched for Cymbalta, after considering many options. The switch went smooth and easy with little to no side effects AT ALL. After a few months I still didn’t noticed nothing scary in particular. My libido stayed fine and I had no erectile problems either. I still got my regular anxious thoughts but my big panic attacks diminished. Verdict is Cymbalta seems to be a good med for me with no major side effects, nothing to be scared of.”

Anxietynomore · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

“I used to take 120mg of Sertrline. It made me gain 50lbs. So I stopped after 2 years. I tried going back on it after 9 months when my anxiety returned but it gave me worse anxiety!!! Now I'm on Cymbalta I love this medication. I'm on 60mg 4 weeks now. The first 2-3 weeks were rough but all side effects went away. Just stick with it my doc said to use .25 MG of Xanax initially to help get through the rough first weeks. Now I only take Cymbalta. It made me drowsy in the morning so I take it at 2 am when I get up anyway to go to the bathroom. This helps me go back to sleep and I have no problem getting up in the morning. Lastly I can stay up later then I used to and I get more done. Another side effect is less arthritis pain and no more bladder leaking. After 3 kids I dealt with bladder leaks and thought I had to have surgery and now it's going! Good luck finding what works for you.”

theuser · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2018

“Hi everyone, I have tried a loooong list of antidepressants, including older ones, newer ones and most of the meds in between. Cymbalta is the only one that has helped me. I have only taken it for about a week but I already feel the effects for my GAD and Panic Disorder. I am so thankful for this drug. Bless you all, don't be afraid to try meds and keep on fighting if you haven't found one that has worked for you yet. Hugs, The User”

No Longer Stressed Out September 29, 2018

“20 MG reduced my stress, worries, & obsessive thoughts. I've never been able to relax because I thought I wasn't doing enough, but now I enjoy the moment. I'm better at work, chores, getting things done. I'm not at war with myself. I'm finally living in MY LIFE instead of being in MY HEAD. I started because GAD and PMDD were causing shingles and interstitial cystitis. All better, relationships too. I can also finally fall asleep, which was a part of my struggle. I also run better, fewer pains. After muscle tightness and insomnia disappeared, there are lasting, but manageable, side effects. Libido lower, appetite higher, orgasm slower, constipation common, but patience, coffee, and probiotics help. Alcohol causes headaches, but I don't crave it either.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2018

“Please DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!! I took my first tablet 30mg of Cymbalta yesterday at about 11 am all was fine until about 6pm that night while I was sitting at the dinner table about too eat dinner I felt very dizzy, my eyes went very blurry couldn’t see properly, couldn’t eat, couldn’t speak was vomiting constantly shaking had the worst headache didn’t sleep all night still feeling some of these symptoms today. This drug is terrible and I don’t know how doctors can prescribe this to anyone!!!”

NeverAgain · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 30, 2018

“Cymbalta worked for Anxiety/pain like a DREAM, for about 4 months, then my system learned to anticipate it and within a month it was as if I was off my meds when I wasn't. It was awful. No dosage increase helps, they put you on a combination of meds to 'get you by' for a few months, then back on the cymbalta, but now it only works for 3 months, and so on. As great as I was on it, the drop of effect was 10x worse. (it also took 1 month to build up and drop off in effect). I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2018

“I have only been on Cymbalta for 1 day. Took it later last night, think I slept okay but woke up foggy brained, zoning out, nauseous, blurry vision, slight increase in anxiety and a bit snappy... won’t be taking anymore of this. I will figure out a different way to handle my panic attacks. Letting the Dr. know ASAP! 30mg at night is my dosage. Anyone else have these experiences right away??”

Loz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 10, 2018

“I've been taking cymbalta 60mg for nearly 10 months now for anxiety and depression. Im feeling so much better and wanting to get off them completely. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks”

Sunshine32456 February 15, 2018

“I was on this medication for depression and possible help with fibromyalgia for a couple of years. My doctor had me on so many meds, I started taking myself off one at the time, with his approval. The Cymbalta was by far the worse withdrawals of anything I have ever taken. It was three solid months of withdrawals, cold, hot, tingles on my head and body. Even with a slow decrease in dosage, it was horrible. I would not allow anyone I care about to use this drug.”

GAD- · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2017

“I am 24 I was experiencing chronic anxiety ، severe muscle tension، fatigue and problem in concentration for about more than year. I did not know exactly the reason for these symptoms. At first I thought it could be a physical problem in my body. but after some medical tests my doctors suggested me to visit a psychiatric doctor. So my p doctor recognized my problem as General anxiety disorder and prescribed me cybmalta. first week only one 30 mg from second week، two 30 mg per day. after 2 weeks، it started to work . after 5week ، excellent...I was almost the man who I was before anxiety!!!but after a while its performance a little decreased for 2 month. again after the third month ، again it started to getting better slowly. after 6 month، I am really calm”

Lisaplummer32 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 2, 2017

“I been on Cymbalta for almost a year and I have no anxiety or depression I really didn’t have any side effects except nausea but other then that the meds work great I’m happy with it ”

Windee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2017

“Cymbalta seems to be working great for me. I had been on two others Lexapro and Zoloft just prior. One made me feel happy but had bad side effects and the other stopped the panic and anxiety but left me feeling depressed/unhappy. I was not real hopeful going on this as I thought I needed more serotonin in my body verses just levelling out what I had, I was happy to find out that it seems to help a lot. No panic and anxiety and I actually feel like getting up and doing something rather than laying around and I have lost 8 pounds! I take 20mg and that seems to be all I need. Overall I am happy with it.”

GenieP August 15, 2017

“To the gentleman whose doctor switched him from Klonopin to Cymbalta: The reason you are suffering from severe anxiety is that you were taken off a Benzodiazepine too quickly instead of having been TAPERED off the drug. Cymbalta is no substitute for Klonopin. Your doctor needs to go back to med school! I've been taking 60 mg of Cymbalta since 2009, after my husband committed suicide. It has helped me a lot with depression and anxiety, but I'm finding that my anxiety has recently increased because my new husband has lung cancer. I was put on 90 mg of Cymbalta recently, and I'm hoping that the higher dose will decrease, and not increase, my anxiety levels.”

Sage123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2017

“Hey everyone trying cymbalta, This drug has calmed me down and lightened me up. When someone asks me how I'm doing, I can honestly say , good ! I use to be intense and I thought about suicide a lot and spent many hours in bed trying to escape from reality . I hated small talk and saw it as phoney and awkward and an act I put on just to come across as average ; like the average happy person . Nope . That was not me . I was tormented by anxiety and depression and dark thoughts. Cymbalta is a good drug. Hope it works for you. I started at approx 5 mg, then 10, 20 and now 30mg. Low dose I know but effective. I would open the capsule and measure a somewhat close enough dose to what I could handle . Give it a good 3 months to work!!”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)