User Reviews for Cymbalta

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Fibromyalgia

"I wanted to try Cymbalta for fibromyalgia pain. I started with 20 mg a day and didn’t feel much so after a month I went up to 30 mg. Within five days I woke up with a bright red hot prickly face. I could not blame this on anything but the increased dose of Cymbalta. I had my liver enzymes checked and one of them was high. I weaned off over the course of a week And my face finally went back to normal. I haven’t had my liver enzymes checked again but I’m being very careful. I’m taking milk thistle and N acetyl cystine to clear the toxins out of my liver. Long story short this drug is not for everyone. Be very careful and have your liver enzymes checked if anything doesn’t feel right."

Probusybody February 24, 2018

"I started taking Cymbalta for fibromyalgia in July of 2017. Prior to this, I was already taking Prozac for anxiety and depression, so making the switch seemed logical. The Cymbalta would help with those symptoms, while also combating the pain and fatigue I was experiencing from fibromyalgia. Honestly, it's been life-changing for me. I feel like my old self again. I'm relatively pain free and my energy levels are up. Prior to starting Cymbalta, the pain was so bad that I wanted to die. I even told my husband to divorce me because I didn't want him to be saddled with taking care of me. I was sleeping my life away, missing out on dinner and time with my family. I wore my hair in a bun every day because I didn't have the energy to even hold the blow dryer. It was really bad. I'm 95% back to who I was before fibro entered my life. I would highly recommend Cymbalta to any other fibro fighters out there."

JamieJulep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2018

"Started this medicine on 1/17/2018 - It has worked wonders for me. I haven't known what pain-free was for 10+ years. The first day or two I was a bit nauseous and had on and off headaches, but felt a decrease in pain immediately. After the 2nd day, nausea passed and I've felt great other than being tired all the time, but I'm used to that. I hope everyone else can feel a relief with this medicine like I have."

Ash-painfree January 26, 2018

"When starting this medicine I was assured it was very safe and easy to stop. Initially it did help with pain, with what seemed like minimal side effects. So I continued for about 6 yrs. My pain was slowing getting worse each year and I got to a point of wanting to detox from everything (medicine & food with toxins). I started with stopping cymbalta after being assured it would be a safe easy withdrawal. It was the worst nightmare ever! It truly came so close to costing me my life. I would recommend not ever taking this for any reason. If you are already on it, take the weaning off very slow and extremely delicately. B12 shots and lots of Vitamin D with K together, will help some."

dfr75 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 25, 2018

"I've been taking cymbalta for 3 1/2 years, and now being weened off and I'm miserable!"

JoKos34 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2018

"let you know this week. Start taking tomorrow. Looking for reviews before I start."

MPHCHCHSH December 3, 2017

"If I could rate it lower I would. This drug shouldn't be on the market. The damage it has done to my body is never going to be fixed."

AussiePythons (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

"Took cymbalta for years for my fibromyalgia n depressions n really helped with the fibromyalgia but I started getting more depressed and my doctor put me on low doses n it help with the depression but not the fibro n after a couple of months he would increase the dosage. This kept going on for years until I decided to stop because I started having terrible dark thoughts. It scared me cause I did not want my daughters to find me dead.Took me over 2 years to eventually stop."

SK99 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2017

"I have taken this medication for about 2 years now and it has helped me tremendously. Yes the first two weeks were hard due to nausea and diarrhea however because it controlled the pain I stayed with it. I weaned myself off at one point to make sure whether or not I still needed it but within a week of being completely off of it all the pain and muscle weakness came back so I went back on it (no side effects this time) and the pain went away so it works for me. However the Dr. said that I was his only patient who had the amount of relief I experienced with the lowest dose. I also have Lupus (SLE) so it helps with the joint and muscle pain there too!! I say give it a try as I experienced the pain relief almost immediate"

PM04 November 1, 2017

"I broke my hip the day before July 4th. I has surgery and was in the hospital for a week, then in a nursing rehab home for a month. I can't take opioid so took Ibuprofen for the pain. I am 67 year's old and also have afib. I was getting around fine when I came home. Then in September I had pain all over my body. It would jump around. I had extremely bad insomnia and restless leg syndrome. My legs felt heavy like they were filled with cement. I went to my PHD and she ran blood tests, especially looking for Rheumatoid Arthritis. The diagnosis is Fibromyalgia. She had me take steroids, one tablet a day for four days and Cymbalta 30th twice a day. I had no bad side effects. I slept better and the pain is very bearable, just mild hip pain."

Sandarella (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

"This medicine is a lifesaver. I felt like my life was over. I was in constant pain day and night. I could not sleep, I was constantly depressed. Fibromyalgia took my life away. Cymbalta gave me my life back. I recommend this to anyone with these symptoms."

I stolberg October 7, 2017

"Cymbalta seems to me like a "miracle" in ridding me of fibromyalgia pain. I have had fibro symptoms of varying severity for over 30 years (I am 58), and I have never found lasting relief, except for one year when I did not work, studied massage therapy, and got massages several times a week. Recently, severe pain returned in my hips which prevented me from sleeping. My doctor subscribed the generic version of Cymbalta (duloxetine), and within a few days the pain was greatly reduced. When increased to 60mg a week later, the pain went completely away."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

"I have tried amitriptiline, citalopram Paxil Gabapentin and now Cymbalta I sure have noticed a big difference thank goodness I was ready to give up."

Budgee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2017

"I have been suffering for years to the point I could not walk to the parking lot without having pain throughout my whole body. My legs would go numb to the point I couldn't walk and had to sit til I can feel my legs again. Since taken cymbalta I've been able to do normal house work exercise a little. And wake up and get out the bed without pain. It's the worst feeling in the world to wake up everyday and every part of your body hurts. I'm on 30 mg and I have been feeling like a normal person again I love living again."

Janess August 24, 2017

"I was on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia and the medication did not work for me. I did have a change in mood. One thing they do NOT tell you is getting off the medication is a terrible experience. For two weeks I was vomiting about three times a day. My anger was uncontrollable and I had very bad brain zaps. I did tapper like the Dr recommended and I was still sick. This lasted a month after my last tapper dose. I was never a depressed person but my husband almost had to take me to the ER because I was so bad. Don't take this medication it is not worth the effects."

Hamrick August 21, 2017

"I've been taking it for less than a month and I already want to stop. I would rather be in pain than be how I am with this medicine. It makes me foggy and extremely tired, and depression symptoms I haven't had in months are coming back. I can barely do anything because all I feel like doing is sleeping. My fibro pain isn't horrible anymore, but this is worse. I'm going to stop now while I'm still on 20mg before weaning off becomes harder."

mlleindrani July 14, 2017

"I did not notice a change while taking this med. I still took it for 2 years even though it was not effective. The reason I continued this med was because everything me and my Dr tried to get me off the med, it did not work. Finally after 2 years. I was able to stop taking it by starting prozac the next day of my last dose of cymbalta. I took the prozac for 10 days with no side effects and then I stopped the prozac. I am finally free of that prison."

Medicman4tn (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2017

"I took Cymbalta for 6 years after my house burned down, my husband was diagnosed with cancer, he lived 8 months. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and severe depression. It worked with minimal side effects. I felt like myself 3 days after starting it. I was in a good place 8 yrs. I weened off and stopped taking it. 3 years later I had a massive stroke and slowly began to feel more and more depressed. I was suicidal in Jan. 2016. I asked a new Dr. to put me back on it. I felt better in only 36 hours. It was amazing how it changed my thinking. My back pain, suicidal thoughts and anxiety had all but disappeared. I would recommend Cymbalta to anyone with any of these symptoms. Everyone is different and if my not work for you. I'm still taking it."

MamaKat_55 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2017

"Had been in a great deal of pain for over 3 years was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago. My Doctor put me on Cymbalta 30mg once a day 2 weeks ago it took 5 days to kick in wow I am very pleased, I feel 90% pain free. I feel tired but I would rather be tired then in pain. It's nice to sleep pain free."

Chasewen May 17, 2017

"For almost 2 years I had felt like I was exhausted and in pain all of the time. Was told that it was osteoarthritis and because of my getting adult acquired flat feet. Finally went to an arthritis doctor who said it was fibromyalgia and started on Cymbalta two weeks ago. Within 5 days, I felt relief. It have given me hope to be able to do things without constant pain. I still get tired easily, but I can finally sleep at night and not nearly as stiff in the morning. I was scared to death when reading about the side effects. Other than a headache for a few days... that was all for me. Sooo glad it has changed my life."

PJN May 5, 2017

"I have fibromyalgia, and have had this condition for many years. I tried Cymbalta for about two weeks, and never felt like I was in my right mind at all during the time I took it. I would much rather deal with my pain, and feel somewhat alive and painful, rather than a zombie. I do not recommend this drug: it's hard on the liver, your urine will smell very bad, you're going to be extremely sleepy, and a feeling of being not quite right. If that's what it takes to take pain away, I'd much rather work on massage, de-stressing techniques, walks, and praying than to feel like half a human being. That's been my experience, I glad I had the experience, as it taught me there's no easy route to pain relief. My hope is the new sodium-blockers!"

EspírituSpirit May 3, 2017

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the beginings of osteoarthritis. I'm a 24 year old mother of 3 children, and for me, Cymbalta has helped manage my pain. With 2 kiddos under the age of 3, and a special needs step-child, I don't have time to hurt, and I definitely can't lay around when I have a flare-up. Cymbalta has made the pain lessen from a screaming pain, to more of a whisper. Do I still have flares? Yes. But they are fewer and the pain is less, and I am able to control my flares better with the help of naproxen and a muscle relaxer. As far as side effects, I've noticed some loss of appetite and constipation. Every medication has some sort of negative effect, but you have to pick and choose what you are willing to live with."

Gracey Mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

"Severe constipation, horrible horrible time it gave me,I don't care what anyone says,I was on it for 6 weeks and had to take laxatives every other night just to get relief before it finally hit me what was happening, I went off it right away, terrible drug,I'd rather live with any kind of pain then to ever go through that again!!!!"

Samby April 16, 2017

"My confirmed diagnosis is Fibroidmyalgia, Sjogrens, and severe arthritis which I have suffered for many years. The Fibroidmyalgia tested the worse out of all other disorders. My PCP gave me 60 mg/day of Cymbalta which was reduced quickly for I slept all the time & couldn't control my eyes. My husband said i walked around w/my eyes wide open & I'd forget to blink, said I resembled a zombie. My RA Doctor advised me to combine Cymbalta with Lyrica to increase effectiveness which I'm hesitant to try. My pain, tiredness, and sensitivity has increased severely w/Cymbalta, and I honestly feel it's not worth the risk."

Simply Tired (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2017

"Took it 7 months, might as well been taking aspirin, well, actually BC aspirin worked better. Works for some people, just doesn't metabolize with this old fellow. Waste of time"

Quando62 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017