User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Fibromyalgia

"The first few days I took the 30mg it worked great my pain was pretty much gone and I felt like myself again, other then the bad side effects. But after the first few days my pain started coming back more everyday. I did start taken 60mg about a month later but it did not help with the pain and I could not deal with the side effects. I am still on the 30mg because it does help with my depression."

Anonymous September 14, 2016

"I started on 30mg Cymbalta 3 weeks ago, mainly for Fibromyalgia and anxiety. Initially, I experienced extreme nausea, apathy, sleepiness and brain fog. I read reviews which said, stick with it, so I did! My first night of taking it, my head was buzzing, I was awake all through. So I decided to take it in the morning, but I slept most of the day. No good! I reverted back to taking it at 7.30 in the evening, with food. Over the last 3 weeks, I stopped noticing any side effects and I slept like a log! Fabulous! My pain is now less, I feel really motivated and my brain is now as it was years ago! I actually feel that I have more wisdom and intelligence! I am more outgoing and sociable and life is worth living! Give it a chance!!"

Banny August 19, 2016

"I took cymbalta for depression, anxiety, and for severe fibromyalgia symtoms. The extreme mood swings, depression, constant thoughts of suicide, symtoms that mimicked my already existing fibromyalgia symptoms and unfortunately made them worse. Sleepless nights-even days at a time, drowsiness, complete change in my personality. When I started a physician observed decrease with intention to quit cymbalta altogether, I tried killing myself multiple time, shakes, tremors, skin crawling, brain and body "zaps", nausea vomiting diarrhea mood swings hospitalization. Don't, just don't take it. There are other drugs and cbt therapies that are tried and true. Whose long term side effects are well understood and documented. Almost ruined me."

Nbkkw3y (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2016

"I have been taking Cymbalta, 60mg, for approx. 2 years. I also take Amitriptiline (I don't know how to spell it!) as well. My Fibromyalgia pain has lessened so much I sometimes think it is to good to be true! My sister was diagnose with Polymyalgia Rheumatica at about the same time and was taking Predisone. She had no relief. I told her to have her primary doc to test the Fibro pressure points. Long story short, the doctor put her on Cymbalta and she felt relief within 1 week! Has finally been able to sleep better and lift her arms over her head. This medication has pretty much saved my life. I have been treated with bipolar disorder successively for many years, but noticed that since I have taken Cymbalta, my outlook on life has improved"

Sadikens July 13, 2016

"Cymbalta didn't help with my pain it only made me feel like zombie, I'm trying to get off of it and it's a nightmare. I'm removing 7 beads from the capsule every day and feel soo sick. I feel like I'm going to die at times"

SherryK72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

"After years of hell and sensitivity to so many meds, paroxetine, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, citalopram, amytriptiline, carbamazepine, lithium, sodium valporate, lamotrigine...finally...finally...im on Duloxetine and its working with No side effects...no sweats, no vomiting, no stomach cramps, jaw clenching, loss of sex drive...I cannot believe its actually working and both lifting my mood and killing the pain "

Bazslass1303 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2016

"cymbalta mase me vomit I took 2 at 30 mg 2 days in a row thesame vomiting was given samples by my doctor not sure what I should do I take lyrica does not help take 300mg a day thank u would love feed back on this"

Deborah Gales June 7, 2016

"Shakiness, jittery, insomnia, sweating, lose of appetite, nausea, dry mouth and bad taste in my mouth. I had no pain relief from Cymbalta at 30 or 60."

AJA123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"After 2 months on Cymbalta my irritability scared my step son. I stopped taking it."

Crikeyjosue (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2016

"Cymbalta/Duloxatine is evil. I was prescribed it for fibromyalgia. I have had jaw pain and stiffness, 50 lb weight gain (very uncharacteristic, for me, binge eating), leg pain, muscle pain and twitching, lung fullness and coughing, high blood pressure, blurred vision, chest pain, unsteady gait, shortness of breath. My Dr refused to accept Cymbalta/Duloxatine as a reason for symptoms and was upset with me. She increased dosage from 30mg to 60mg to 90mg in 6 months. My health kept deteriorating. She wanted me to do a sleep study, saying I must not be sleeping/breathing well. I am currently looking for another Dr and awaiting Cymbalta/Duloxatine in a bead form (instead of the 6 pills in mine) so I can taper off at a 5% or less rate."

conbro (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

"I have had fibromyalgia with chronic depression for years. Started Cymbalta two weeks ago. I was very lightheaded and dizzy at first. I continued on. I am at two weeks now 30 mg per day. I sure can feel when I need my dose the pain is unbelievable when it comes back. I am looking forward to bumping my dose to 60 mg per day. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to all of you out there I hope this is a miracle drug for all of us."

Anonymous February 14, 2016

"I was put on Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia pain, anxiety and depression. I had little to no side effects on the medication, and it helped the pain and anxiety, but I became resistant to the med for its depression reduction effects and switched to a different med after a couple of years. Being bipolar type 1, I have to change my regiment regularly and I am used to becoming resistant to meds over time. My husband is taking Cymbalta for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Chronic Pain, and he has experienced marked drowsiness that lasts most of the day for about 2 weeks when he began, and now again, since the doctor increased it because he is still taking 4 Klonopin a day to handle the anxiety. He has less pain, though."

remindjess (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2016

"I started taking Cymbalta about 4 years ago for severe body pain, I have had two back surgeries, two knee surgeries, I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. The medication Cymbalta has improved my quality of life a lot. Mostly my fibromyalgia pain . I hadn't been able to sleep at night because of my all over body pain however since taking Cymbalta I have had much relief. I take it at night about an hour before bedtime, I take it along with Amtriptyline which helps me to sleep at night pain free. Only one side effect that. I have notice and that is it seems to take your sex drive, when interacting in sexual activity, it's like you don't feel anything, a lot of the time, and that can be a BIG problem for some people. You have to weigh up your options"

Thomas'a January 18, 2016

"This medicine was great and did relieve my pain. However now it has been discovered that it is terribly hard to stop taking. The side effects are unbelievable. It can take a year to get off this medicine. Please go to the forum here about Cymbatla and also on facebook . I have currently started tapering off this medicine after taking it for 4 years or so because I believe it is causing other problems for me such as memory loss, brain fog, being tired all the time, tinnitus, night sweats, etc."

ladybadone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

"Definitely didn't find enough pain relief until I was prescribed with powerful pain meds - side effects tired all the time, itchy all the time, very annoying!!"

Skinna (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2015

"My pain diminished somewhat, and I don't feel shitty anymore. One annoying side effect: Insomnia, but 20mg zolpidem "fixed" that. Maybe the trouble sleeping will lessen, and the efficacy will improve after 6 weeks. 2 weeks on 30mg/day"

Room_101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2015

"I have been on Cymbalta for about two weeks. I have severe depression, two failed back operations, and neuropathy in my legs and feet; those stabbing hot jabs of pain and also pain throughout my body and joints. On day three of being on Cymbalta I had body and joint pain relief and some increased sensitivity in my feet. Still having back pain but that was expected as my back is toast. The vivid dreams were disturbing for about a week, but have gone away. I had hallucinations as I was awaking each morning. That has gone away as well. My depression seems to be lifting and I feel more active. Good luck on Cymbalta."

Greg227 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

"I have been on Cymbalta for my Fibromyalgia since Nov.2014. I had loved this med,helped some what with my pain and also helped my moods. (I called it my happy pill..lol) I have been experiencing many months of restless sleep and extreme sweating! I never considered it was my wonder drug. But it is,it has to be..Cymbalta is the only drug I take and the only change for me in a year. Also I have gained an excessive amount of weight ! I can not handle this extreme sweating,also very fatigued. I am starting today to ween off of it..my doc started me on Lyrcia. I sure hope this helps! So tired of being tired and in pain.."

Krismor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2015

"Cymbalta actually did help, but please talk to your Dr as soon as possible if you notice any changes in your vision. I was literally 2 weeks away from going blind .I was in my early 40s and developed severe cataracts in both eyes very quickly. After seeing several doctors and specialists I had them removed.One of the specialists did research and found that cymbalta was the cause, a very rare side effect but it can happen."

gemkat65 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2015

"At first I thought this was a miracle drug but after about 2 months they had to double my dosage then in about another 2 months later the same thing. Next thing you know I'm on the max dosage with no symptom relief. OMG that's when the real nightmare started. It was almost impossible to stop. I was ready to check in a a hospital. My doctor did watch me and did her best to get me off the medication safely but it was really really hard. Even though it did not help my fibromyalgia I suffered from withdrawal. Please PLEASE really read the side effects before taking this medication."

AvaRodgers August 2, 2015

"Cymbalta did not help me at all he was prescribed to me for neuropathy pain and it did nothing for me."

Cymbalta didnt help me at all (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2015

"I have Fibromyalgia as well and I stopped taking Cymbalta because my pains improved a great deal, but, I had extreme nausea and exhaustion (esp. in the am). Now my pains have come back to kick my behind. Day 2 of Cymbalta. Seems as if it makes me light sensitive, which gives me a headache and dizzy. Like my eyes are heavy and my skin was clammy. I will continue. I'll get back to you n a few weeks."

Dana Strawberry July 23, 2015

"I was put on cymbalta to combat the mood and pain problems associated with fibromyalgia. It dilated my eyes, which led to light sensitivity and headaches. I also grew steadily more and more exhausted and confused and foggy. I was depressed. The doctors insisted that the side effects would abate after about six weeks, but they were so debilitating I had to seek out disability accommodations at school and drop one of my classes. After about a month I woke up one morning feeling very strange, and a few hours later had a seizure and sprained my jaw and have had jaw pain ever since. At the emergency room, they told me that the cymbalta was the likely culprit. Essentially, this drug made my life unbearable."

Faenum (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

"I have been on Cymbalta for the last 2 weeks. The side effects have been difficult, stomach pain, the first few nights I couldn't sleep and thoughts raced through my mind, I was also having severe suicidal thoughts and I was still waking up from the pain and tingling sensation in my arms and shoulders. this is week three and I find that my mood has improved, but I'm sweating a lot. the fibro pain is present and I'm tired a lot. I tried taking it at night but find my chest hurting the next day so I switched to mornings on a full stomach and that's improved the stomach pain. I have restless leg and if I'm late on taking my next dose I'm jittery. I don't really know if its working for my pain, but my mood is much better, I'm not suicidal."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2015

"I felt less pain but the side effects were NOT worth it. I ended up becoming very depressed and apathetic and slept for 12+ hours a day, missed work, didn't clean or eat. I was taken off after I crashed my car."

SunshineMisty April 29, 2015