User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Fibromyalgia

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Cymbalta

megnezzo0315 · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I was prescribed Cymbalta 30 mg for Fibro & nerve pain. I took one pill. I had never had a panic attack in my life until taking this medicine. I took the pill at 10:30am. At 12:30 I couldn’t catch my breath. My heart started pounding. My vision became a tunnel and I felt like I was about to pass out. The only thing I could do was lay down and breathe deeply. Things calmed down, I get up from the bed and wham! It hit me again. This time however my skin started burning. My chest and arms felt like they were on fire. I couldn’t breathe again, my vision went tunnel like again. Ringing ears, pounding heart. Even my feet started itching really bad. The panic attacks were severe. The ER told me I had to let the medicine run its course and they gave me a xanax to help calm the panic attacks. It took 18 hours. The xanax helped. It was the Worst day and night of my life! The doctor said my reaction was not a normal reaction. I couldn’t believe one single pill did this to me.”

Sydney2468 · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“My primary doc put me on this cause I have Fibromyalgia depression and anxiety. I have been on 30mg for three weeks now and the side effects....well I have none. In the beginning for the first two weeks I had minimal. I’m going to stay on this dose instead of going up to 60mg since it’s working. I went to dinner last night, sleeping better, pain is much better, and I actually want to leave the house. Remember go slow whether ur going on this med or coming off. Stay on each dose at least a month before moving up or down to the next and your side effects stabilize.”

Ami · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“Avi .... how much are you on? Did it help immediately?”

Avie · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2020

“Hi. Just want everyone to know that I have been on Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for 5 years. It has been a lifesaver for me. I had a ruptured disc and sciatic nerve pain going down my buttock and leg. This seemed to affect my nervous system. For lack of a better definition, I referred to this as fibromyalgia. I had all over body pain. Cymbalta helped with the pain almost immediately. Beware, and your health care provider should warn you about this, it will make you sick to your stomach the first 2 to 3 days. I used a lot of Pepto Bismal.”

nostalgicfeelings · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 28, 2020

“I've taken this for both depression and fibromyalgia. It helped with the depression for a while but eventually stopped working, and never made a difference with my fibromyalgia pain.”

Eternal Optimist · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

“This drug definitely proved what works for some doesn't for all! A friend tolerates Cymbalta exceptionally well! Having suffered from fibromyalgia for 20++ years, and initially positive results with Venlafaxine, only last year experiencing long-term use side effects I have been attempting to find new medication to treat fibromyalgia / insomnia / RLS to name a few -- Cymbalta caused violent diarrhea, waking me from a sound sleep. Tried a few other times, same response. Only with trying was I able to determine this medication was not compatible for my body.”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

“I was put on Cymbalta because at night I experienced leg pains which drove me crazy. It was like my legs were alive. But while on this medication stopped the leg pains I still have some memory issues. However it is awesome that I no longer have aches and pains at night that kept me awake.”

CalNat · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

“I didn't know Cymbalta was making me suicidal, I ran out for over a week, got suicidal and felt like I was losing my mind. When I was switched to duloxetine, I binged with way too much vodka, passed out. Then found the Road Back From Psychoactive Drugs, online. I weaned off, for the next 3 years, I had awful brain zaps if I didn't take 3,000mg omega 3's daily.”

Toby · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

“It helped at first (very low dose), but then about a week in I started having night terrors and sleep paralysis. One night I woke up with 2 inch long scratches on back of my neck due to night terrors.”

GlassSlipper October 15, 2019

“Age: 54 Hypothyroidism (2008), Fibromyalgia (2009), mild to moderate arthritis (left knee). 2 terrible fibro flares this year that left me barely able to walk, even with a cane. Fed up, I started reading up on current treatments for fibro, and found info on Cymbalta and Savella, so I made an appointment with my internist the next day. Took my first dose of Cymbalta (60 mg/day) that evening at 10 p.m. By 4 a.m. the next morning, I was standing up without assistance and my pain and muscle weakness was about 80% better. I was stunned, to say the least. I'm not saying that this will be a "wonder drug" for everyone, because we all have a different genetic makeup, but all I can say is that it has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I could just kick myself in the butt for dropping the ball on continuing to keep up with advances in the treatment of fibro. I could have saved myself from years of needless suffering.”

Matt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 12, 2019

“I saw all these negative comments when my doctor suggested it for my fibromyalgia pain and took it anyway. DON'T DO THE SAME! For me this is the worst drug ever created. I don't usually like to write negative comments but this drug actually destroyed a year of health for me. Be extra careful if you decide to take it (which I don't suggest!)”

Patti · Taken for 10 years or more October 2, 2019

“When Cymbalta first came out, my rheumatologist prescribed 120mg per day. At that point I couldn’t sit up for more than 30 minutes. He also prescribed a “cocktail” of cyclobenzaprine 10mg, alprazolam 4mg, and Gabapentin 1200mg, twice a day. I read a lot of reviews and most were awful until I read the reviews of people over 50. They said it changed their lives! I was around 60 and am now 72. It truly changed my life! Now I find myself forgetting words. A neighbor told me she got off her Cymbalta and that went away so I’m waiting to see my doctor about this. Cutting the Cymbalta in half for a week and my knees and wrists are very painful. Again, waiting to see my doctor!”

Darkvelbet · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

“I have just started off on Cymbalta 30mg. It's working wonders for my chronic pain but the side effects are horrible such as chest pains, dizziness, muscle weakness in arms and sometimes legs, drowsy, mental confusion, insomnia, increased anxiety, nausea and feels like my throat is a bit tight + heart palpitations. It's also difficult too urinate - it seems I gotta really push. I plan on taking Cymbalta 30mg for the rest of my life because it helps with the chronic pain that I'm in and works well. But I could definitely go without the yucky side effects..bleh. I'm 21 years old.. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety,Depression, Fibromyalgia & Pots Syndrome (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)..So yeah I'm in constant pain.”

Dgreen64 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

“I have been taking Cymbalta for one month. I am at 30 mg and have not had a lot of bad side effects as others have noted. I do feel more tired and I have had some minor nose bleeding that seems to have subsided now. I would say this medication has decreased my muscle pain by about 50 to 75% depending on the day. It has also helped with arthritis pain in my hips and back. I would say the joint pain relief is about 25%. I hope I don’t have severe withdrawal symptoms if I have to change medications or stop temporarily for a surgery. I have read that it is much easier to taper off if you start taking a small dose of an SSRI like Prozac during the taper.”

youngfibro · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

“So... after now being on these for the second time I can review them properly. As someone who struggles with mental health issues and fibromyalgia, these tablets worked a treat for both my pain and emotional regulation BUT be prepared for around a month of side effects before you fully notice a difference and can't function. Sickness, constantly sleeping all day; no appetite, rash, dizziness, nausea, constant headaches, not sleeping at all at night and struggling to move are just to name a few but once you get past that, they’re better than any pain killer. Despite struggle to feel emotions, the positives outweigh the negatives.”

Me sore · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“I took cymbalta for 1 month for my pain. After about 2 weeks bad side effects set in. I had stomach pain, memory loss, nauseated feeling, no hunger, dizziness - almost falling over. I felt so bad I knew not what to do. Finally I told a few close people about what was going on and I decided to call my doctor to get off cymbalta. The doctor told me to stop immediately and rest. I did and slowly began to feel better. It's been 3 days and I'm still not normal, but a little better. I'm putting my words out there that if you're afraid of stuff like this, please stay away cymbalta. I think it should be taken out of the pharmacy. It is horrible.”

hicksy98 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“I was on it for 3 days, and was experiencing all kinds of mental things, and had severe panic attacks. It helped with the pain along with Lyrica...but that was scary . I felt cloudy head and confused, sad, happy, depressed.”

Anonymous August 7, 2019

“I started Cymbalta to help with pain. I had horrible side affects. I was extremely nauseous, tired, sweaty and more. I took this medicine for about a month and the side effects never seemed to go away. So I stopped taking it even though I know you’re supposed to slowly do so. I just felt sick taking it and I still feel sick after stopping. I can’t stop throwing up. I honestly don’t even think it’s worth trying this medicine. I would stay away at all cost.”

DM · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

“I took one dose of this medicine, 20 mg and with an hour had severe diarrhea, a horrible headache and then panic and anxiety set in. It was so bad that I had to leave work 2 hours into my shift. On my way home, I actually stopped at the ER and sat in the parking lot debating on whether to go in. Luckily I was able to reach my doctor's office who gave me the go ahead to take a xanax to counteract these side effects and didn't have to go to the ER. It was so bad that I even had my husband leave work because I was too scared to be home alone. I would rather suffer through pain than have to do that again.”

itselixx14 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2019

“Cymbalta seemed to help at first, until the side effects became unbearable and it stopped working. It made me sleep over 12 hours a day, gain a bunch of weight, and made me have no libido what so ever. Not to mention it's extremely hard to come off of. I stopped it last week and I'm still experiencing withdrawals -- brain zaps, nausea, headache. I would not recommend Cymbalta for fibro. It might help your pain, but it'll make your fatigue worse.”

Judy · Taken for 10 years or more June 20, 2019

“I suffered from the pain of fibromyalgia for 20 years and I got my life back after I started to use Cymbalta. I have no more pain, other than that of many 71 year olds. I consider myself one of the very fortunate people that it works so well for me. I can take fitness classes now and feel the improvement from them tremendously. I also think that what likely helped me work etc. when I had the symptoms was the fact that I did mild exercise six mornings a week for 20 min. on the recommendation of an amazing doctor who recognized what I had before most people had even heard of it and told me exercise was supposed to help. I walked up and down my stairs then used a cross trainer (slowly) - when my husband decided I was wearing out our carpet!”

Zoe · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 17, 2019

“Look up Cymbalta Syndrome. If prescribed, before you take it- research it- have your dr research it. It will help for 2-3 yrs MAX. Getting off of it is a whole other story- the manufactures KNEW this- and pushed it anyway. They could fix this issue but choose not to. This drug needs to be removed from the market! You don’t know long term pain and crippling sickness until you try to get off this med. The manufacturer gave us no easy way to taper, no painless way to wean off. I am on my 2nd YEAR of weaning and I will be honest- withdrawals can last months to YEARS. I have 30 mg still to go till I am Cymbalta free... and tons of horrific side effects to still face. Do your research- don’t take this pill, it is beyond hell. And big pharma knew it.... yet sell it anyway as well as pay drs to prescribe it and down play the true horrors of it”

Tiny · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

“Cymbalta has changed my life for the better. Besieged by terrible leg pains and tingling for over 6 months, I tried gabapentin and other drugs but hated how they made me feel. 20mgs of Cymbalta started working almost immediately, and has helped me gain my quality of life back. The other positive thing: I've always been anxious and thought it was just part of my DNA but then I've noticed much of the daily anxious thoughts have gone away since taking this drug. Very grateful.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2019

“Hi have had pain for 20 years process of being electrocuted 3 times. I had developed arthritis all over the body, suffered from irritable bowl syndrome and orofacial granulomatosis and delevoped fibromyalgia pain with fatigue, depression and with constant head pain. This was all unbearable but after trying Cymbalta pain was minimised by 30 to 40 percent. I take 30 my a day”

dawn19825 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2019

“When I began this med for fibromyalgia I thought it was going to work out for me. I felt good enough to start swimming (the only exercise that doesn't hurt me) after a week of being on Cymbalta. I couldn't take the pill on an empty stomach--stomach ache, I couldn't take the pill at night--insomnia, and I had to take it with lunch in order to not have adverse affects. I felt like my pain stopped lessening after 6ish months of 60mgs a day so I stopped taking it. Another bad side effect was the total destruction of my sex drive. When I stopped taking it, my doctor told me to slowly ween off of it due to terrible side effects, but I had already stopped taking it before I saw her, and I didn't have any adverse effects of quitting cold turkey.”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)