User Reviews for Cymbalta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I was taking Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months (along with Lamictal, which I still take) to get rid of the depressive side of bipolar. It made me super down and extremely on edge for weeks. I was on 20mg."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took cymbalta for depression for about 6 month, first 30 mg which my doctor increased little by little until it got to 90 mg. She increased it because the medication seemed to work but after a while the symptoms were present again. I went on vacation and when returned, couldn't get the prescription on time, that was the beginning of the nightmare. Symptoms of withdraw going from vomiting, electric zaps, severe nausea, severe dizziness sensation that I am falling down, head pain and so on for more than two month. I didn't stop taking the medication, it was only a gap on treatment what put me in that situation. Since that day I asked to my doctor to help me discontinue it even following her directions, it is so bad that I don't recommend it ever"

Mariam valdes October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took my first dose of generic Cymbalta last night of 60 milligrams. It's now 5:47 PM & I've not eaten all day due to the severe nausea. I'm also very jittery, anxious, have a super, really bad headache (I'm also prone to migraines.), & my tinnitus is worse in my left ear. I also have slept most of the day, besides. I have depression & mild PTSD & anxiety & migraines, I've been on other anti-depressants before. Prozac increased my migraines the last time. I think this generic of Cymbalta won't be for me."

Seriouscatlady (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for a while. It made me very depressed, anxious and withdrawn. It was only when my friends told me how bad I was that I realised I was having a real "breakdown" on it. I went to see my doctor who changed me to Sertraline which suits me a lot better. I was depressed before I took Duloxetine but I went in to a very dark place that I had trouble getting out off. We are all different and different medication suit different people."

Tina50 August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Cymbalta for depression for two and a half years. My doctor titrated me up to 120mg. I was at 120mg for over two and a half years and almost constantly I was severely depressed, severe anxiety, some paranoia, no energy, over reaction, self harm, extreme anger, just to name a few. That's not to say I do have some of those problems normally, but not as severe or as constant. So Cymbalta was overlooked as a cause to my worsening issues. Two weeks ago I was admitted into an inpatient hospital to basically save my life. While I was in there I was abruptly taken off, then titrated up to 60mg. I'm a totally different person now. I did a complete 180°. I can't believe what a difference it makes being on the right dose."

ShaeFox (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective worked immediately"

Jodie c July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok so I'm a 19y/o female and, After a month and a half of super minor side effects (groggy, dizzy, no appetite) cymbalta started to work really well, however about a couple months ago I began experiencing mood swings more and more gradually. Now I have days where I'm in a completely crabby mood (I don't want to do anything), or I'm in an ok mood (I'll go out and try to do a couple of things to build confidence), or I'm totally pissy and mean all day and I cry and flip out. (like literally cry and like threaten to leave him for nothing) My poor boyfriend who doesn't even understand the medicine (who tries to because he respects my choices) I plan on changing my medicine my next doctor's visit cuz the mood swings are making it hard to get a job."

Meghan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had panic attacks and major depression. This medication changed my life for the better. Been on this medication for almost a year. Takes about 3 months to feel the full effect. If the dose is too strong you may feel worse. Its trial and error."

Shannon262 June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just took it at its smallest available dose this past week. I was replacing my Zoloft because I felt that my depression is more of a reaction to my anxiety, so my doc put me on this which is known to treat both, unlike Zoloft which only treats depression. I have yet to experience any bad side effects like many do in the beginning, and if anything it actually treated the side effects of getting off Zoloft, like nerve tingliness. It gives me an overall sense of calm, and unlike other anxiety meds, it doesn't sacrifice by concentration and memory which is very important since I'm a full time student. It calmed my anxiety and allowed me to sleep, which in result, I don't feel depression. A+ on this medication so far."

Kay F. (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has changed my life. Before taking Cymbalta I was depressed, anxious and borderline suicidal. Within a few weeks of my first dose (60mg) I noticed that I was more outgoing, friendly and that my mood has significantly improved. Although I experience some sexual side effects, the drug has been incredible on the whole. I'd highly recommend it."

houdini95 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works one of the few antidepressants that I can take that doesn't have any side effects I can notice. Other antidepressants in other families, I.e. SSRI's I know I cannot take due to the side effects. With cymbalta, I don't feel any side effects, and I seem to function alright. I know it works because off it, I can't pull it together and am in bed most of the time, so it works. I give it a B+ because I can't take it at its highest dose without getting too overstimulated. I take it at 30mg."

Anonymous June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It alleviates my depression. But I have some headache, I am not sure if it is caused by the drug"

caden byran (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been having anxiety and depression issues recently and since I've had back surgery and residual pain, my doc put me on 40 mg of Cymbalta. About 3 hours after I took my first dose I had the worst migraine I've ever had in my life, coupled with nausea, finally vomiting, cold chills, auditory hallucinations (low rumbling sound, plus my tinnitus got worse,) sleeplessness, loss of appetite and everything tasted like aspirin. The next morning my wife and I attempted to have sex. While I did have an erection, after almost two hours of trying I never even got close to an orgasm. Now I'm in some discomfort. For a drug that's supposed to make me feel better, I'd never take it again."

joebloe256 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Previous med Lexapro quit working after several years. Cymbalta seemed to work for the 1st week but I think it may have been placebo effect, after about a week my body started hurting and feeling hot from the inside especially my legs below my knees. After about 3 weeks stiff neck, hot flashes, restlessness, anxiety, headaches. 4 weeks all these plus talking in sleep, joint pain, body aches, stiff feeling, trouble focusing and I asked to be taken off it. I was only at 30mg."

Kypr May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible headache, drowsiness, feeling of paralysis, and diarrhea"

lonesomecharlie (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started it , but felt it working already. Compare to Citalopram that I used before. I'm excited cause I have hope that Cymbalta will help with my depression and my back pain"

sylla April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First 24 hours my experience is as follows: I made up a joke about my experience since I had lots of time last night to think about it; I certainly wasn't sleeping. So I go to this really sleazy bar called 'The Cymbalta'. I order a shot of E Coli. I'm still standing so I tell the bartender to pour me some Dysentery. Then I try a frosty mug of Swine Flu. In other words, this stuff is like taking poison! My idea for Contraindications. 1) Not recommended for anyone who is actually alive. 2) Not recommended if you are more than 10 feet away from a toilet bowl. Yeah, I know all drugs have side effects, and this probably a transitory condition that will eventually go away. Maybe. I just don't think I can wait for the "feeling better" part to begin"

Californado (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel very conflicted about this medication. For about 80% of the day it helps me to be more stable and less reactionary. But then every day or every other day I have a breakdown and start sobbing, get very moody and paranoid, accuse my partner of not loving/caring about me, want to self harm and die. It has helped my chronic pain and doesn't cause me to dissociate constantly like many antidepressants do. However, I'm not sure it's worth it because of the breakdowns, but I'm scared to go off of it because I heard withdrawal is awful. I am just about ready to give up on medication altogether at this point."

Yeti2 April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cymbalta has been an incredible drug for me. Since taking Cymbalta, I have been able to enjoy life more, sleep less and feeling more refreshed, reduction in pain, and improved memory and concentration. Recently, I have been studying for an exam. This is a hard exam, that I previously had failed before, while not taking Cymbalta. I started taking Cymbalta, approximately in January. The months leading up to the exam, I was more focused, and able to concentrate better than I can last remember. I know that Cymbalta doesn't treat concentration or memory problems, but I think that sometimes if you are depressed, it can have a severe affect on concentration. Thank you Cymbalta for helping me in my life."

CymbaltaFan April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading some of these comments I realize I'm not alone I just broke down about an hour ago not understanding why am so depressed I'm not sad but I'm depressed I am a cancer patient that is 40 years old and I've been battling cancer and severely depressed since I was 24 I just recently spent a month in bed because I was in such horrible pain I finally ended up in the hospital because my cancers back once again and they upped my dose from 30 mg to 60 mg to help with pain and depression. I haven't noticed that it helps with any pain but I have had all the side effects but I've read in these comments I'm so glad I found this now I know to stop taking this med but I'm terrified of the side effects to come I haven't worked since January 5 I get discharge from the hospice house on February 20 and all I can do is go to the bathroom and lay in my chair I'm fighting so hard to be happy but nothing is working"

Jennifer Breese (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced brain "zaps" and severe mood changes on Cymbalta. It worked great for neuropathy at first but it worsened my depression and anxiety. I felt restless all the time, like I was climbing the walls. Eventually I felt numb and unable to function. My doctor refused to take me off of it, so I took myself off and found a new doctor who refilled my Zoloft prescription."

KDev (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I must say that it helped with my neuropathy, but from day one, I had a terrible time urinating and was experiencing horrible nightmares. As soon as I discontinued it, these symptoms went away. I am on Zoloft now without any problems."

bfdarvey3744 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had such a mixed experience on Cymbalta. I took it for 1 month. It made half my day awful, and the other half great. I would take it in the morning (30mg) and for the first half of the day I would feel this dark undercurrent, but kind of speedy at the same time. It made me have terrible anxiety and paranoia and I fought with my husband in the mornings, accusing him of petty things. Then around 1pm this darkness would lift and I would feel happy; it was really bizarre. But the damage done to my marriage from my behavior in the mornings was terrible. I hope my husband can forgive me for the drama. My last dose was 2 days ago and I feel much more stable and sane. I did not like how this drug altered my personality so much in the mornings."

ccinsf (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it for 5 days 30mg and have never felt so sick. The first day I was crippled with diarrhea and a headache which continued to the following day. I then got a tightness in my throats and couldn't stop yawning. I stopped eating due to the nausea.The headache didn't go away and by day 3 was joined by an earache and sweating. Yesterday was the worst. All of I sudden my vision became blurry and I couldn't talk properly. It was terrifying. Like my brain stopped working. I couldn't drive and was so dizzy I kept falling over. I stopped immediately and now have to wait 3 days for it to leave my system. I still feel horrendous and I still can't see properly."

Sugarplumsquirrel March 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will make it real simple. IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I am out going, I love talking to people again! I have always been an introvert. No any longer. I've tried every med for depression with really no success. I enjoy laughing again, and my coworkers are now involving me with them. I always felt like a loner. All those sad emotions are gone. It has been a miracle drug for me. I never thought I could feel so good."

Happy again 1 February 3, 2017