User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"Then everything went haywire. Psychiatrist kept me going until I was at 120mg a day. Depression worsened, experienced disassociative episodes (foggy memory while on these episodes where I do not remember certain events), increased headaches, insomnia, irritability, and suicidal thoughts. I'm appalled that my psychiatrist thought it was ok to keep increasing the dose until it was more than double what I was taking initially (20mg) despite symptoms getting much worse. During this time I also had 0 access to adequate talk therapies, whether in a group setting or 1-1 with a trained counselor. I am absolutely sickened that these dangerous drugs are promoted as a band-aid fix all solution when talk therapies are completely disregarded."

Worked for about a month... (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

"I have tried many many different meds for anxiety and depression.I have been taking this for a month now and it has helped me so much. I have less anxiety episodes and feel much happier and relaxed."

ontnurse2 July 11, 2016

"I was hopeful when starting this medication, but it was overall ineffective. It made me sleep a lot, gave me horrible nightmares which piggy-backed off of my PTSD, and made me sweat profusely in my sleep. When I first began the medication, it felt like my muscles were weak. My limbs would shake and i'd also feel as though I couldn't hold my bladder. The nightmares were the worst part. I'd wake up screaming or crying."

AmphyAlexis (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

"Initially went on 10mg Escitalopram for 6 months but besides improving my mood, it worsened my memory, made me apathetic/demotivated and gave me brain fogs all day. I then went on Duloxetine and the dosage was increased from 30mg to 120mg over the course of 7 months. Duloxetine increased my motivation, mental energy and attention without any brain fog or memory issues like from Escitalopram. But the downside is that Duloxetine started making me robotic, socially withdrawn and hinder my creative thoughts. At 120mg, it started to negatively affecting my memory so the sweet spot for me was 60 - 90mg. Wasn't perfect but it worked better than Escitalopram for me."

Heinstar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

"Vomiting, headaches, loss of energy, Suicidal Thoughts, and urinary cramps.. my doctor wants me to stay on this six to eight weeks though before he will let me try gabbapentin. Military doctors must get paid a bunch to prescribe this mess!"

Feed up June 12, 2016

"6 months of problems with Cymbalta/Duloxetine & so sick and tired that I've thrown them in the bin and with no help and advice from my GP. even though I know that 'cold turkey' from snri's could damage my health. From the outset of taking this drug I had chronic diarrhoea. This lasted 4+ months and have now been diagnosed with microscopic colitis despite no previous gastric problems in my life. I've gained the best part of a stone in weight, I was drowsy and sleeping during the daytime. The drug did not vastly reduce my anxiety or depressed moods and did not help with any pain that is caused by my osteoarthritis of spine & knees. Withdrawal symptoms seem to be minimal,10 days of cessation, so fat experienced a little tearful and irritable."

Sandra478 June 8, 2016

"I was prescribed Cymbalta as a preventative for intractable migraines. I was also dealing with some depression due to my chronic pain. I was on a dose of 20mg at bed and was to increase to 40mg after 2 weeks. After my first dose, I awoke with general nausea. I had diarrhea once that 1st day. After my 2nd dose the worst of it started. I awoke three times that night with diarrhea - literally. I didn't wake up having to run to the the bathroom. I was awakened because I was in the process of soiling myself in bed. I couldn't eat, lost 5lbs in a week, had diarrhea the whole time. I stopped talking it and had the worst migraine of my life and electric zaps for two days after. Just say no to Cymbalta."

Pain is better than Cymbalta June 2, 2016

"I've been on Cymbalta for severe depression for about six months now. I tried other depression medications that either made the depression worse or made me way too complacent and had a lot of side effects. With Cymbalta, my depression has gone away with almost no side effects and I'm back to feeling like an actual human being instead of being consumed by the depression. The only problem I had was it interfered with my sleep. I would half wake up multiple times a night, and would be running my fingers through my hair. Basically I was moving about in a half awake state and not getting a proper deep rest. This was able to be resolved by combining this medication with another one I take before bed. Very positive experience and I'm very grateful"

NatterTatter June 1, 2016

"I've been on Cymbalta since 2002 and it's changed my life. I haven't had a depressive episode since I've been on it. My sex life is ruined, however. A common side affect for these kinds of meds."

Brightster May 21, 2016

"Over the years, I have tried a lot of different antidepressants. Some have been absolutely terrible for me and others have been alright, but Cymbalta has been life changing. I was initially very worried about taking Cymbalta after all of the horror stories, but it has worked wonders for me. It really is an amazing drug!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"Cymalta has definitely helped me as far as depression and anxiety. Its the only medication that's worked so far. The only problem I've had with it is that it takes away my ability to orgasm and my sex drive in general"

Aspenray88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"I had started with Prozac (20mg) about 4 months ago but it wasn't steadily effective and I felt worse the week before my period... it would also make me tired during the day. The doctor switched me to Cymbalta while weaning me off Prozac as such: - week 1: take 20mg capsule of Prozac with 30mg capsule of Cymbalta a day - week 2: take 30mg capsule of Cymbalta a day - week 3: take 60mg capsule of Cymbalta capsule a day going forth I felt great with Cymbalta just on my first week: more energy, felt kind of high like on E but in a good way...just happy. I experienced a few days of insomnia my first week which which I battled with Melatonin an hour before bed (10mg). I experienced headaches for a few days but that also went away. Feel great!!"

Desertflower123 May 10, 2016

"I'm going to jump right into the fact that this medication is just not helpful, it takes away my personality, and has brought a lot of suicidal thoughts to mind. I am on 60 my capsule and the way it makes me feel is very empty. I don't feel like I have control of my thoughts and happiness"

Angela Christine May 2, 2016

"Cymbalta saved my life 2 times. I've been taking those pills (60 mg) for both cases of depression. Everytime this drug worked like a miracle on me. It made me come back to normal. I have felt almost none side effects. First week, just diahrrea, some ticklings and a bit of tinitus. Nothing annoying at all. Then, everything went to normal again. I'm here in part thanks to Cymbalta."

Durauguiru (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2016

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for postpartum depression.What I really needed was sleep.I was after having a c-section and taking care of three kids and no help.Now I have been on this drug for 9 years. I have tried several times to get off it. I feel like it has a choke hold around my neck. I am a registered nurse and work full time. I still get depressed while on this drug. When I try to get off it I have suicidal thoughts along with a long list of withdrawal symptoms. I wish I was never put on this nasty drug."

boardwalk70 April 30, 2016

"I have suffered from severe depression for over 20 years. Cymbalta the only one thing that has kept me going and feeling normal. I still have a little depression but by far I am way better less breakdown and crying and sadness. Just make sure you have your doctor check your liver. I have not had any liver issues but some people have reported it. Give it a try it is work for me and I know some people out there saying it's the worst but for me it has been a lifesaver"

Colorado Native (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

"I would give cymbalta a 10/10 however I have not been on it long enough to give it a perfect score. I have tried Prozac as well as wellbutrin to help cope with my crippling depression but they just didn't do the job. Before cymbalta I was easily aggitated, hating the world around me, and contemplating suicide. Now it is like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm not irritated by small things anymore. I have more motivation. The only downside is have had is some insomnia but it should pass. Don't be scared by all the negative reviews. I was until I took it for myself. Everyone is different however you will have to try it for yourself to know. I take 30 milligrams once a day in the morning."

Dmhoward April 23, 2016

"The worst decision I have ever made was agreeing to go on this drug. I had no idea about SSRI's and the effects they can have on you and your life. For the first year, I would have recommended it to anyone dealing with depression and anxiety like myself..but that was at a time when I mistaked the numbness for satisfaction. Just over 2 years down the line and I am falling apart. This drug has ruined my life. First I realised the fog I was in. Then came the vertigo and confusion. My memory has deteriorated. Zero sex drive since day one. My depression has worsened and I no longer recognise who I am anymore. My personality has changed drastically and my anxiety is worse than its ever been. I am now weaning off it but the damage has been done."

DoNOTputYourselfThroughThisHel (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

"On the 10 day of 30 mg. I woke to a miracle . No chronic pain in my whole entire body for the first time in years. For years I suffered hour after hour with 4 and 5 in my back. Body pain so bad I was on Norco for years. Nothing has been more effective to my pain and depression as this medicine. I hope more physicians prescribe this medicine for these reasons. I have my life back."

Liz4444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

"For over 20 years I've used antidepressants and this by far is the best I've ever used however there are some downsides I'm constantly hungry all d time I've put on 2stone which is giving me another problem to deal with cause that doesn't make me feel good and excessive sweating I've reduced my dose with doctors supervision to try help these side affects and the tiredness is sooo bad but I've definitely had little or no anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2016

"Was given since having major depression in August (this is March). I have arthritis which pain has gotten much worse, fibromyalgia worse, brain fog, very weird dreams. I awoke at 2 or 3 and can't get back to sleep. During day I fight to stay awake. I have started having a very bad temper and feel angry all the time. Eye sight blurry, clumsy. I see the GP tomorrow for a different reason (or is it?) and will demand to be taken off of this. I feel this should be taken off the market, it's side effects are horrible!"

MINNALOUSH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2016

"I took 1 30mg capsule of Cymbalta yesterday. That will be the only dose of this medicine I will take. I had to leave work yesterday because of how sick to my stomach it made me. I felt jittery and lightheaded all day. I didn't take it this morning. I haven't felt jittery , but I have been extremely lightheaded and have had a headache all day. All that from one dose. I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. The only other one that made my head feel like this was Prozac and I didn't stay on it long. Having a job, I can't afford to be sick from side effects. I will be calling the Dr. tomorrow and telling her I want to try something else. Also, I have head a lot of reviews about this drug and most that I have read are not very good."

Shell41 March 6, 2016

"Unusual tiredness and loss in stamina"

Frinks (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"Cymbalta 120mg for 4 months Good: - slight to moderate increase in motivation, mental energy and attention/alertness. - decrease in anxiety and depressive feelings. Bad: - made me less social, less empathetic and more robotic. - horrible withdrawal symptoms which happen quickly if you forget to take it. - when my dosage was increased from 30mg to 60mg, it started to give me nightmares at night and caused me to wake up in middle of the night and lose sleep. Conclusion: Better positive cognitive experience than 10mg Escitalopram which other than positively affecting my mood, all it did was cause constant brain fogs and decrease my motivation even further."

Heinstar (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

"Horrible drug. Didn't help me with depression ( made it even worse) , didn't help with anxiety."

April _24 February 28, 2016