User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 210 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta

"It worked for depression back pain and migraines. But I threw up constantly, and couldn’t keep anything down at all. It always came back out one way or the other. At one point I started getting stomach pains from throwing up so much. My throat is sore and a little swollen now too from it. And I would feel numb sometimes and “off” emotionally. Never felt so bad. Got taken off of it, and the withdrawal symptoms are awful too. Wouldn’t recommend it at all. It’s just not worth it."

Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

"Hi, I am at the end of week one 30mg Cymbalta, and it is like a brand new me.. although today I have hit a little bit of a low, I am so much better. Cymbalta literally has saved my life and my marriage PRAISE GOD!!!!! I am looking forward to each day and know with time all will level out. No more extreme lows with suicidal thoughts, sleeping all day long, just wanting life to end. I wished I would have let my pride go a long time ago & told my doctor I needed help. Wednesday is my birthday and I am looking forward to spending it with my husband... Yay!!! 44 and hopeful for the future."

Joyful1975 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

"Cymbalta helped me get through a rough patch in my life. I am grateful for how it allowed me to cope with my sibling's passing. I was on 60mg and recently decided it was time to move on and discontinue medication. I decreased dosage every two weeks by 10mg, then weekly by 5mg (taking out one small pill of the 12 pills in the capsule). Please talk to your doctor if you wish to taper off the drug, but this method worked for me. I was terrified of withdrawals based on the horror stories I read, but I had almost no withdrawal symptoms. The sexual side effect of the drug was a real bummer, and the only negative of my experience."

TP (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2019

"I am on day 3 and I am feeling better than I have in years. My Mom died in 2016 from breast cancer and my brother died in 2017 in a motor cycle wreck. My brother in law had a heart attack in 2018 (they bypassed him and he’s ok!)and his mom passed away from brain cancer this year. Also a family friend just the other day. I have been convincing myself I could do this without help but it became to much. (I have a teenage daughter) :) I decided I had to try something. I know it’s only 3 days but if I feel this good now I know it will get better! Thank you Cymbalta!!"

Fab4 February 16, 2019

"So I was on Lexapro for 5 years it stopped working. Doc suggested Cymbalta. I was scared to try with all the bad reviews. But I started on 30 mg for 2 weeks. Then up to 60 mg after 2 weeks. Side effects were dry mouth, nausea, dizzy. But side effects have gotten better and this is working. No more crying spells, moodiness. Also it has helped my back and neck pain."

Mary (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2019

"It really gave me my life back. From crying and having panic attacks to kayaking and biking with my friends. Amazing product."

MC (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

"I have been on several medications for depression/anxiety since I was 20 years old. Cymbalta is the best by far. I felt so normal on it with little to no side effects. It also helped with my back pain issues. Unfortunately when I was hospitalized they discontinued my Cymbalta and I spiralled down into a very deep depression. My psychiatrist decided to put me on Fitzima as there is a 30% chance of Cymbalta not being as effective as when it was prescribed the first time. It's been over 2 years on the new medication and I am going to discuss going back on Cymbalta. When I was on it I felt like a normal person. When I cried I knew why I was crying and when I laughed I knew why I was laughing. I am fortunate that I had little to no side effects with Cymbalta. I wish you all well with what ever you chose. Please don't give up."

Cassie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2019

"I was terrified by all the comments to even try this drug, but I'm so glad I did. I've had none of the side effects (except maybe the constipation) that sound so horrible, and feel so much better. Way less of the negative thinking and ruminating negative self-talk, almost non-existent. I can have a negative thought but it won't be intrusive and all-consuming like it was before. And I've been on the medicine for less than 2 weeks! I've been tapering off of Wellbutrin since it didn't do anything for my depression, and the only drawback I can describe is that I'm still tired and have a hard time getting out of bed, which I was hoping the Cymbalta would fix (but I think it's a withdrawal symptom of coming off the Wellbutrin). Only time will tell! But so far the experience has been overwhelmingly good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2019

" First time I used it, I could finally stop crying. The effects were VERY subtle. However it did nothing for my anxiety. I stopped taking it after some positive life events occurred and I thought I didn’t need it anymore. But I became depressed again; decided to take a pill from the stash I had saved a year ago for emergencies - when I no longer wanted to die or cry! Cymbalta saved my life, not sure if I'd still be here today without it. But this time it has helped a little with anxiety. Cured depression 10/10; anxiety 3.5/10"

Anonymous January 22, 2019

"Had tried 4 different meds before Cymbalta in various doses for GAD/Depression. Had quit them due to side effects usually "brain fog", increases anxiety or depressive symptoms, etc. Psych doctor put me on Cymbalta 30 mg. Morning/30 mg night. At first I had some improvement with just mild brain fog. Kept on it for a total of 4 months hoping this could be the one. However, slowly turned into zombie. Tired, unable to think clearly, trouble processing. Dr. switched me to Vibryyd 20 mg. And tapered me with 30 mg of Cymbalta at night for 7 days. She said new med should help counter withdrawal effects. Well- during first 7 days I had mild vertigo, insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. was dealing with it. Next 7 days without any Cymbalta have been the worst. Vertigo, confusion, agitation, severe vertigo, mood swings, sweats, loss of appetite, tinnitus, headaches, forgetfulness, etc. I pray I am not one of those people that have withdrawal for months."

Bob (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2019

"Let's be honest here everybody is different, some people do not need a helping hand medically wise in life and others (like myself) do, I came off citalopram after years of being on it, I felt it had simply stopped working and with added paranoia that it was actually doing me more harm I decided to switch to something else. Duloxetine was recommended by a friend, all I can say is life is sweeter now, always underweight and trying to put some in this drug helped a lot. If weight gain would be an issue I probably would not recommend, but if like my you feel happier with an extra 20lbs on your frame then this is the medication. To anyone reading this, hang in there and please don't ever feel alone, there is a world of people suffering the same as you and the vast majority of us care a lot about you and will always try and help because we too know your pain."

Dr.Sim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2018

"I literally felt not real it sucked. Stopped after a week couldn’t hardly function at work. I was so sensitive to light and always had a headache. I would not recommend."

Barlo December 3, 2018

"Have had back pain for years. Was on prescribed pain meds for years too. No longer on pain meds for about a year now but use kratom some. Prescribed Celexa for several years and seemed to stop working. My doctor put me on 60mg Cymbalta a couple months ago. No real side effects and It seems to put me in a better mood that I haven't experienced in many many years. I think the prior pain med and recreational drugs turned against. I feel more "corrected", clearer minded and content on the Cymbalta."

Pickle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

"I switched off citalopram onto this medication 3 weeks ago and it is causing major RLS symptoms from day one. I was up for 4 hours last night! I think it is effective so far with my depression/anxiety but can't really tell as I am so sleep deprived!!! Will probably have to stop it. I don't want another med on top of this to have to stop the RLS symptoms."

Karen15235 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

"Cymbalta has literally changed my life. My brain was always in this constant fog, I could never think straight about anything and intrusive thoughts about suicide would pop into my mind constantly. I didn’t care about anything and struggled to find my motivation. Now I’m thriving in work, taking pride in my appearance and being a much nicer person. I’m brighter, happier and just a much better person to be around. My colleagues and family have all noticed the change. Before I started taking it i’d read so many bad things about it, I almost didn’t try it. I’m so glad I did. I feel like the person I always dreamed I could be. I can think clearly and I’m not riddled with anxiety anymore."

Bromis (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

"Took Cymbalta for two years due to severe depression. Couldn’t function hardly at all before the med. Once I started taking Cymbalta I was able to go to work and function normally again. No major side effects. Came off it for a couple months, reducing my dose down slowly, no bad withdrawal symptoms. However once I was off of it the depression and anxiety returned tenfold. And I’m going back on it."

Aim (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2018

"Been on this 3 years and it works for me when I have no alcohol or illegal drugs. For pain I started smoking cannabis and my antidepressants doesn't work with weed!! With a week off weed and antidepressant working! I'm happier now, I'm laughing more, singing and joking. I am committing to getting better and cutting out anything else unless prescribed."

Fcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2018

"Cymbalta is the only antidepressant that works for my depression & anxiety. With it I feel calm and can think clearly and logically. I don’t catastrophise. I don’t get dark thoughts. Essentially no side effects. This drug radically changed my life for the better. A wonder drug."

R X (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

"Cymbalta has radically changed my life. Prior to taking this medication, I wanted to end my life due to severe depression and anxiety. After a couple weeks on this drug, my mind began to shift. I am now calmer, more balanced and happier than I'd been in years. I feel so much more level-headed. It allows me to associate more meaning with people, things and activities in life. My relationships with coworkers, customers and people around me have been strengthened. I used to never talk to or invest my time in other people around me and now I actually enjoy socializing. It even helps me in other strange ways like making me more organized, keeping my apartment clean, getting rid of junk I don't need or use, etc. I thank the universe for leading me to this drug."

Darksoul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

"This medicine has changed my life- I suffered from severe panic disorder and anxiety. I can now function and actually feel normal. I have had no side effects from cymbalta."

Laur laur (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

"Switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta. First week was at 30mg, followed by 60 mg. I has side effects almost from the start, insomnia, anxiety. nausea, loss of appetite. Stayed at 60 mg for 4 weeks. Dr decreased to 40 mg and prescribed Sonata to help with sleep. Zero effect from the Sonata. It's been about two months since starting the Cymbalta and I'm ready to get off of it due to the side effects. Not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms I've been reading about. Others may have had success with this med, but I have not. I would not recommend."

121GW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

"Started Cymbalta 30mg/day, after 3 doses I became horribly ill. Severe abdominal pain, headache, nausea, (could not even keep sips of water down), palpitations, weakness, extreme fatigue, insomnia, foggy cognition. Flat on my back for 60 hours. Could not sleep, just lay in misery. I am better now but still not 100%. This is a dangerous drug. The pharmacist said my reaction is rare, even so, I would recommend against it."

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2018

"I've been on Cymbalta 60ng for about the 5 years, it was working fine for me I thought - until people started telling me that I was snappy. But I had a lot of trials in life happening all at once. Any how I decided to switch and what a nightmare it has been. New Psych tried me on Lamictal for a bit, that made me hyper and jittery, so I thought I'd try zoloft since my sister has been on it. Sometimes meds can work the same.. but, Yikes ...not for me..I'm in an awful depression and working on getting back on Cymbalta, what I hope will, work for me. I guess the old saying goes, "if it's not broken why fix it?" I will keep you all in my prayers and hope you will do the same. "

El (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

"I started on 30 mg and am currently on 60 mg - first few days on it were awful, with bad insomnia, nausea/headache, fatigue. However, after ~5-6 days, most symptoms subsided (except the insomnia, which I use melatonin for). It's been about 2 months and I have to say this medication has been life changing for me in terms of my mood/thoughts. I used to have such dark thoughts and a negative outlook on life, assuming the worst in people and hating everything about myself. That has completely changed and I can say for the first time in YEARS that I feel truly, completely, happy. This happiness is different, because it persists even when not-so-great things happen in my life. I will say that the anxiety still lingers but honestly its effects on my depression make the anxiety super tolerable. I hope this medication works for others the way it worked for me - time will tell as far as how long this will last."

myopicwizard April 29, 2018

"I have been on cymbalta for about 8 months. It makes me feel numb and I don't care about much. I am coming off of it and it has been hard to do."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2018