User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"My outstanding physician and another member of the team recommended Cymbalta. I switched over from Zoloft and this medicaton works quite well. I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, and severe nerve pains. The side effects have been quite minimal. I'm more involved in the community through volunteer activities, working, and accomplishing my goals. I'm more social and interactive. My depression and anxiety have decreased by at least 60 percent. My body pain has decreased. I'm more physically active, eating healthier and just more up beat. A special thanks goes out to my physician, his team and a fantastic representative who also recommended Cymbalta. Thank you for reading my review."

JDhomephx (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

"This medication totally changed my life. I was previously suffering from intense suicidality and intrusive thoughts, overwhelming social and physical anxiety. After about 1-2 weeks, I noticed a significant improvement. After 4-8 weeks, things were 100% great. My job isn't the best job to have in the world, but I feel happy to get up and be productive and am proud of working hard. I am happy and confident and wish I would have known about it sooner. The side effects have been minimal, a little bit of restlessness and waking during sleep, not 100% sure if it's attributable to the medication. Overall from my experience I would completely recommend it."

cymbalt1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

"I had moderate depression, crushing anxiety, and probably fibromyalgia. (I've never pursed fibro testing due to no health insurance.) One week ago I just could not go on. Depression, anxiety, and all-over aches and stiffness stopped me in my tracks. One day on 30 mg Cymbalta and it all cleared up. I could not believe it. It is a miracle for me. I've been on it one full week and am now over the slight nausea, dizziness, and dry mouth. YaY! :-)"

Eileen W September 19, 2016

"This medicine was a disaster for me. I was put on 30mg once a day before bed and the day I started it I felt the effects. I started to get the shakes, I got hyper, I was nauseous, all my muscles were tense especially my neck, I sweat CONSTANTLY I couldn't drink enough for how bad I was sweating. At the one week mark I was directed to double the dose. BIG mistake. My throat started to get very tight and my pupils were so dilated you could no longer see the color of my eyes; I have glaucoma so that could be why. I eventually went to the ER where they directed me to take one more half dose and stop. I had 0 benefits it just made me feel horrible. Seeing as I had a similar reaction to Effexor I'm clueless as to why I was put on this medication."

meh_says_meh (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"When I was started on this Med I was not in a good place mentally. I did NOT get the information any health care professional should always give to patients when starting a new treatment. With that being said, the Med not only helped my depression but also my chronic pain issues. I ran out of this Med and was going to refill the following day. I began to experience electric type shocks to my head that I can only like to a cattle prod put against your head. Never had I experienced anything like this before and as it began to become more frequent and worsen I looked up this symptom and was surprised to find that it was associated with the withdrawal of Cymbalta. I had the Med refilled immediately but I am angry I was not fully informed."

Rntina September 18, 2016

"I had been on Effexor for five years and had noticed a decrease in helping me with my depression so my Dr switched me over to Cymbalta ... I did not get harsh side effects aside from a little jitters at the beginning but it soon settled. I must say I have been on it three months and I have been waiting for my anxiety to subside ... Cymbalta no help there at all. Pain I have Ankelosing Spondolosis ... curved spine and pinched nerves (severe sciatica ) no help there either. Maybe my case is just a little more than 60 mg a day can handle ... but honestly I'm ready to go back to effexor, vicodin and alprazolam. At least they worked. If anyone has advice please drop a line."

Wrecked Nerves (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

"Very positive. Reduced senseless anxiety though a perceived negative is that it also aids in supressing useful anxiety. For example, situations of potential physical conflict that pre Cymbalta I wisely walked away from I tend not to do whilst taking the drug. It doesn't make me angry or violent it simply makes me less concerned about the possibilty of a negative outcome."

Manawaru (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016

"Started with 30 mg. First day taking it was ok but from day two until now I have had crippling diarrhea, wicked headaches and nausea. Stopping this nasty medicine today. Unbelievable that I had to change doctors and I told the what had worked for me. Lexapro and Alprazolam. But these doctors think they know best."

WTH Cymbata (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

"I suffer from major depression and many antidepressants have been of little help. My psychiatrist recently put me on Cymbalta and it changed my life. At first it made me feel very racy and jittery but after riding that out for a bit the side effects went away. Now, taking 60mg a day, I feel the best I've felt in about 20 years."

Dan9447 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2016

"I usually cannot handle break-ups and become severely depressed, often crying myself to sleep. I was prescribed this medication for anxiety, which just so happened to be a few days before I was broken up with. Because of this medication, I was able to continue with my life almost unaffected. In fact, I had a more positive outlook, knowing I was worth more than my depression had previously led me to believe. This medication has saved me from an immense amount of emotional suffering."

thoughtsoh August 14, 2016

"Been on this med for 1 week. 30 mg. Within hours I felt better. I have fibromyalgia and depression. Was on 30 mg Celexa for 18 years and it no longer worked. Fibro became so bad I was afraid I would have to retire. Couldn't work properly and difficulty concentrating in the office. Went to a new doctor who recommended Cymbalta. Started it in a.m. and by 3 p.m. the pain was starting to ease. A miracle drug to me. Stayed on 10 mg for 5 days along with the Cymbalta. When stopped Celexa no withdrawal. This med has changed my life. The sun came out again. Everyone reacts differently to meds so I won't say everyone should take, but it certainly has worked for me."

Miss Alma (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

"It didn't help depression or low grade chronic pain AT ALL. I had better depression relief from Celexa and Wellbutrin. But the biggest reason I caution against cymbalta is because of the extreme withdrawal symtoms I experienced. I followed the doctor-recommended protocol to wean off. Weaning seems to mean prolonging misery. The nausea and dizziness I have endured for the last 5+ weeks with no end in sight is debilitating. I urge you to please research your options thoroughly before even trying cymbalta."

Hashimotos disease August 5, 2016

"Made me very sick to my stomach, couldn't eat anything without wanting to vomit. Sedated too much to the point I didn't want to get out of bed all day. Also gave me insomnia. (30 mg)"

Pl24 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

"Then everything went haywire. Psychiatrist kept me going until I was at 120mg a day. Depression worsened, experienced disassociative episodes (foggy memory while on these episodes where I do not remember certain events), increased headaches, insomnia, irritability, and suicidal thoughts. I'm appalled that my psychiatrist thought it was ok to keep increasing the dose until it was more than double what I was taking initially (20mg) despite symptoms getting much worse. During this time I also had 0 access to adequate talk therapies, whether in a group setting or 1-1 with a trained counselor. I am absolutely sickened that these dangerous drugs are promoted as a band-aid fix all solution when talk therapies are completely disregarded."

Worked for about a month... (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

"I went on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia pain and depression. I never had any real early side effects like nausea or vomiting, but I have gained 15 pounds. My meds have helped me and I don't suffer from as many days of dreading to get out of bed. Cymbalta has helped me greatly and if some extra weight is the price I have to pay to be happy then I can deal with that."

Birch bitch July 13, 2016

"I have tried many many different meds for anxiety and depression.I have been taking this for a month now and it has helped me so much. I have less anxiety episodes and feel much happier and relaxed."

ontnurse2 July 11, 2016

"I was hopeful when starting this medication, but it was overall ineffective. It made me sleep a lot, gave me horrible nightmares which piggy-backed off of my PTSD, and made me sweat profusely in my sleep. When I first began the medication, it felt like my muscles were weak. My limbs would shake and i'd also feel as though I couldn't hold my bladder. The nightmares were the worst part. I'd wake up screaming or crying."

AmphyAlexis (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

"Initially went on 10mg Escitalopram for 6 months but besides improving my mood, it worsened my memory, made me apathetic/demotivated and gave me brain fogs all day. I then went on Duloxetine and the dosage was increased from 30mg to 120mg over the course of 7 months. Duloxetine increased my motivation, mental energy and attention without any brain fog or memory issues like from Escitalopram. But the downside is that Duloxetine started making me robotic, socially withdrawn and hinder my creative thoughts. At 120mg, it started to negatively affecting my memory so the sweet spot for me was 60 - 90mg. Wasn't perfect but it worked better than Escitalopram for me."

Heinstar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

"Vomiting, headaches, loss of energy, Suicidal Thoughts, and urinary cramps.. my doctor wants me to stay on this six to eight weeks though before he will let me try gabbapentin. Military doctors must get paid a bunch to prescribe this mess!"

Feed up June 12, 2016

"6 months of problems with Cymbalta/Duloxetine & so sick and tired that I've thrown them in the bin and with no help and advice from my GP. even though I know that 'cold turkey' from snri's could damage my health. From the outset of taking this drug I had chronic diarrhoea. This lasted 4+ months and have now been diagnosed with microscopic colitis despite no previous gastric problems in my life. I've gained the best part of a stone in weight, I was drowsy and sleeping during the daytime. The drug did not vastly reduce my anxiety or depressed moods and did not help with any pain that is caused by my osteoarthritis of spine & knees. Withdrawal symptoms seem to be minimal,10 days of cessation, so fat experienced a little tearful and irritable."

Sandra478 June 8, 2016

"I was prescribed Cymbalta as a preventative for intractable migraines. I was also dealing with some depression due to my chronic pain. I was on a dose of 20mg at bed and was to increase to 40mg after 2 weeks. After my first dose, I awoke with general nausea. I had diarrhea once that 1st day. After my 2nd dose the worst of it started. I awoke three times that night with diarrhea - literally. I didn't wake up having to run to the the bathroom. I was awakened because I was in the process of soiling myself in bed. I couldn't eat, lost 5lbs in a week, had diarrhea the whole time. I stopped talking it and had the worst migraine of my life and electric zaps for two days after. Just say no to Cymbalta."

Pain is better than Cymbalta June 2, 2016

"I've been on Cymbalta for severe depression for about six months now. I tried other depression medications that either made the depression worse or made me way too complacent and had a lot of side effects. With Cymbalta, my depression has gone away with almost no side effects and I'm back to feeling like an actual human being instead of being consumed by the depression. The only problem I had was it interfered with my sleep. I would half wake up multiple times a night, and would be running my fingers through my hair. Basically I was moving about in a half awake state and not getting a proper deep rest. This was able to be resolved by combining this medication with another one I take before bed. Very positive experience and I'm very grateful"

NatterTatter June 1, 2016

"I've been on Cymbalta since 2002 and it's changed my life. I haven't had a depressive episode since I've been on it. My sex life is ruined, however. A common side affect for these kinds of meds."

Brightster May 21, 2016

"Over the years, I have tried a lot of different antidepressants. Some have been absolutely terrible for me and others have been alright, but Cymbalta has been life changing. I was initially very worried about taking Cymbalta after all of the horror stories, but it has worked wonders for me. It really is an amazing drug!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"Cymalta has definitely helped me as far as depression and anxiety. Its the only medication that's worked so far. The only problem I've had with it is that it takes away my ability to orgasm and my sex drive in general"

Aspenray88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016