User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I like it, but it is not as good as I thought."

cadenhong January 16, 2017

"Cymbalta helped me overcome my depression. I was on the medication for about a year and a half. I think having a great talk therapist was also key. I focused on cognitive behavioral therapy. I did not experience any side effects while on cymbalta."

Anonymous January 14, 2017

"I took my first dose of Cymbalta last night and woke up in the early morning seriously nauseated and actually vomited. I went to work and I am struggling to stay awake. I already nodded off a couple of times. I don't think this med is going to work for me."

SashaL (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

"This medication saved my life. I was severely depressed with suicidal thoughts...felt miserable and completely hopeless. The hardest thing was the first couple of weeks on this drug. I had nausea fatigue headaches etc. But please if you are suffering stick with it. 6 weeks later I am happy hopeful trying new things and loving life. This is a medication that takes TIME so be patient. But it has completely changed my life and I am so grateful."

Leahlo915 January 5, 2017

"I haven't noticed any help at all with my depression, my anxiety has gotten worse and I've never been so tired in my life. Also I'm all out sweating like crazy during the most very minimal tasks."

Tryinganother (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

"I have been severely depressed over the past two years after the passing of my mother. MD tried me on Wellbutrin, Trazadone and Celexa. I continued on the Celexa for about 1 1/2 years but still had many days with depression and losing jobs only to remain in bed depressed, hopeless , tearful and suicidal thoughts. None of those meds worked for me. I have currently seen a new MD and changes my meds to Cymbalta in AM and Elavil in PM. These meds are miracle drugs for me. Been on them for a month now. I've never felt this good in years!!! "

Blessed37 December 22, 2016

"please be cautious before taking cymbalta. I took cymbalta for 20 months, then decided to quit after changing my lifestyle. After discontinuing my perscription of 60mgs a day I endured brain zaps, insomnia, and eye pain for 3 weeks."

Ryan7741 December 20, 2016

"I take cymbalta for depression and anxiety. I've read a few comments on here and it sounds like a few people may have or had serotonin syndrome. It has happened to me in the past when a prior doct didn't pay attention to my meds. Please be safe. Cymbalta has helped me a lot. I went off for about 3 yrs and have had to go back on."

Ithelpsme (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

"So far, so good. I haven't been on it very long but I definitely feel like my overall quality of life has improved. Mild headache and nausea the first week or two, which went away. I still get sad, when sad things happen, but it no longer feels overwhelming. The "doom and gloom" is definitely gone. I take 2 a day, in the morning."

CGW70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

"This is like a miracle drug to me. I suffer from severe depression, anxiety & fibromyalgia. After 2 weeks on Cymbalta my pain significantly improved as well as my mood/anxiety. I'm taking 60 mg once a day."

Tamz65 December 6, 2016

"Second worst psych med I have ever taken, and I have taken 20 psych meds. First off it's caused an insane amount of horrible side effects. I feel like I am living a fog all the time and feel like I'm literally going insane. It's caused chronic muscle ache (I had no pain problems before taking this med) The only thing worse than dealing with being on this med is dealing with the miserable extremely long withdrawal of trying to get off of it. I have tried numerous times to get off of it using a slow weaning process, but it's just so difficult to get off of. I can truly say I wish I had never started this med, and there a much better meds out there for all conditions, that won't ruin your life."

Tsuluzo012 December 3, 2016

"I've been on 6 different meds now for depression. Truthfully, night before last, I almost voluntarily committed myself to psych. I couldn't take it anymore. After talking to my husband and my best friend, I decided not to go to the ER, but instead make an urgent next day appointment. I am I glad I did!!! I took dose #1(30 mg) at 3 pm. No zombie feeling. No brain fog. I mean, I could definitely feel I took something, but completely unlike any other med. Side effects, extremely nauseous, a little sweaty, giggly. Along with my SEVERE depression, I have multiple autoimmune diseases, PTSD, crippling anxiety, and chronic nerve/joint pain. I have not noticed decrease in pain yet, but wasn't expecting to after a single dose."

Hashisadceliac December 3, 2016

"We all have challenges in life. I suffer from PTSD and depression. Over the years I have tried a few different medications. My fantastic physican based in Phoenix, AZ recommeded Cymbalta. It has really made a positive difference in my life. I have noticed that I'm doing a lot better in life. First my body pains have decreased. Followed by I'm more happy and positive. I'm more active in the local community through my commitment to a couple different volunteer organizations. If it wasn't for my caring and magnificent physican and NP I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I'm grateful for their support and on how well Cymbalta works. My quality of life has improved. Thank you for your time."

Cymbalta helps a lot... (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

"For some reason I am still feeling depressed after switching from Cymbalta to a generic brand. I am finding it harder to deal with everyday life now that I switched than before. I have been looking for info on weather or not the generic form is just as effective as the brand name. If anyone can help with any kind of information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

Sad and confused (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2016

"I had/having a horrible time with this medication. Currently trying to wean off with my MDs help. I've had every listed side effect and subsequent health problems that required expensive work ups. Most dramatically I developed vertigo and severe headaches after being on the med for about 3-4 months. Vertigo was debilitating and required time off of work and multiple doctor appointments to rule out other conditions. I also had electrical zings and numbness and tingling down my body. The weaning has been the most problematic causing these awful side effects to worsen. I'm a registered nurse and I would never recommend this drug to anybody. I did not feel any benefits for my depression."

Susieirene1980 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

"started sweating first few days after starting med, and had weird feelings this med was making it worse. All went away after two weeks and now I am doing well with this med."

sgtjohn October 12, 2016

"I had been suffering from depression, suicidal thoughts & tendencies anxiety and nerve damage. I went to a doctor who prescribed me cymbalta and I started on 30 mg. I was on it for about 1 week and I noticed I wasnt eating. I would have to tell myself to eat because I could go a whole day without eating anything. I noticed I did feel a little bit better in my ways but it wasnt enough to keep me motivated to do anything. So the second week I was put on 60 mg. I can say I have never been this motivated ever with school work going out with friends trying new things and actually participating in school. Im 4 weeks in now & ive never been better. Downsides: restlessness waking from sleep jitters and waves of feeling hyper."

Wacka (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

"I began taking Cymbalta 30 mg on 07-07-16 due to moderately severe depression, anxiety and physical pain. Almost immediately I felt better in all aspects; however, severe chronic constipation also occurred. I took Miralax daily and still only had BMs every two to three days. Then about two to three weeks ago I started feeling angry as if I was backsliding. I was going to increase from 30 mg to 60 mg but my doctor wanted to prescribe a medication for idiopathic constipation, which mine wasn't. My last dose of Cymbalta was on 09/30/16 and I started taking Zoloft 50 mg again on 10/1/16. I guess one can't have it all. Even taking Zoloft causes constipation but I take 20 billion probiotic twice daily and it moves things along regularly."

RacerMcRacerton October 2, 2016

"My outstanding physician and another member of the team recommended Cymbalta. I switched over from Zoloft and this medicaton works quite well. I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, and severe nerve pains. The side effects have been quite minimal. I'm more involved in the community through volunteer activities, working, and accomplishing my goals. I'm more social and interactive. My depression and anxiety have decreased by at least 60 percent. My body pain has decreased. I'm more physically active, eating healthier and just more up beat. A special thanks goes out to my physician, his team and a fantastic representative who also recommended Cymbalta. Thank you for reading my review."

JDhomephx (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

"This medication totally changed my life. I was previously suffering from intense suicidality and intrusive thoughts, overwhelming social and physical anxiety. After about 1-2 weeks, I noticed a significant improvement. After 4-8 weeks, things were 100% great. My job isn't the best job to have in the world, but I feel happy to get up and be productive and am proud of working hard. I am happy and confident and wish I would have known about it sooner. The side effects have been minimal, a little bit of restlessness and waking during sleep, not 100% sure if it's attributable to the medication. Overall from my experience I would completely recommend it."

cymbalt1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

"I had moderate depression, crushing anxiety, and probably fibromyalgia. (I've never pursed fibro testing due to no health insurance.) One week ago I just could not go on. Depression, anxiety, and all-over aches and stiffness stopped me in my tracks. One day on 30 mg Cymbalta and it all cleared up. I could not believe it. It is a miracle for me. I've been on it one full week and am now over the slight nausea, dizziness, and dry mouth. YaY! :-)"

Eileen W September 19, 2016

"This medicine was a disaster for me. I was put on 30mg once a day before bed and the day I started it I felt the effects. I started to get the shakes, I got hyper, I was nauseous, all my muscles were tense especially my neck, I sweat CONSTANTLY I couldn't drink enough for how bad I was sweating. At the one week mark I was directed to double the dose. BIG mistake. My throat started to get very tight and my pupils were so dilated you could no longer see the color of my eyes; I have glaucoma so that could be why. I eventually went to the ER where they directed me to take one more half dose and stop. I had 0 benefits it just made me feel horrible. Seeing as I had a similar reaction to Effexor I'm clueless as to why I was put on this medication."

meh_says_meh (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"When I was started on this Med I was not in a good place mentally. I did NOT get the information any health care professional should always give to patients when starting a new treatment. With that being said, the Med not only helped my depression but also my chronic pain issues. I ran out of this Med and was going to refill the following day. I began to experience electric type shocks to my head that I can only like to a cattle prod put against your head. Never had I experienced anything like this before and as it began to become more frequent and worsen I looked up this symptom and was surprised to find that it was associated with the withdrawal of Cymbalta. I had the Med refilled immediately but I am angry I was not fully informed."

Rntina September 18, 2016

"I had been on Effexor for five years and had noticed a decrease in helping me with my depression so my Dr switched me over to Cymbalta ... I did not get harsh side effects aside from a little jitters at the beginning but it soon settled. I must say I have been on it three months and I have been waiting for my anxiety to subside ... Cymbalta no help there at all. Pain I have Ankelosing Spondolosis ... curved spine and pinched nerves (severe sciatica ) no help there either. Maybe my case is just a little more than 60 mg a day can handle ... but honestly I'm ready to go back to effexor, vicodin and alprazolam. At least they worked. If anyone has advice please drop a line."

Wrecked Nerves (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

"Very positive. Reduced senseless anxiety though a perceived negative is that it also aids in supressing useful anxiety. For example, situations of potential physical conflict that pre Cymbalta I wisely walked away from I tend not to do whilst taking the drug. It doesn't make me angry or violent it simply makes me less concerned about the possibilty of a negative outcome."

Manawaru (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016