User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I will make it real simple. IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I am out going, I love talking to people again! I have always been an introvert. No any longer. I've tried every med for depression with really no success. I enjoy laughing again, and my coworkers are now involving me with them. I always felt like a loner. All those sad emotions are gone. It has been a miracle drug for me. I never thought I could feel so good."

Happy again 1 February 3, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Good drug not many side effects was the only one that worked for me and I reckon I've tried every antidepressant on the market. Took 60mg for 2 years didn't find it to hard to come off was a bit grumpy for a couple weeks thats it. Also helped with my neck and nerve pain."

Hutto (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Cymbalta for at least 4-5 years. I took it with lamactal also as it did not seem to help or put the anxiety/depression. I now am doing acupuncture and going off both drugs. Horrible!!!!!!!! I tried to tell my doctors that I still felt crumby on cymbalta but they just upped my dosage. I think there are other ways to deal with anxiety and depression. At the very least you should find out if a certain drug works well with you by checking it out with a pharmacologist, so you can be matched. Good luck to all who are suffering, it is not much fun."

Whid January 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Made me sooooo tired, but still also was able to make my anxiety spike, but worse by far is I LOST 80% OF MY ONCE BEAUTIFUL HAIR!"

PacNorthWest (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Caused me severe anxiety/agitation. Its action increases Norepinephrine levels as well as Serotonin...and its that effect on Norepinephrine that has me climbing the walls! Not good for my depression or anxiety!"

Leon57 January 20, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was a god send for me as I've tried others and nothing helped, I am currently on max dosage 120mg a day but I'm still alive and that's the main thing, it doesn't at all help with my fibro I don't think but anxiety has near enough gone and depression very copable , obviously I get bad days still its not a permanent everyday fix, but be WARNED, you may gain a lot of weight over 3 + years I've taken this and its basically stopped my metabolism, I exercise and hardly eat bad stuff but I have gained over 5 stone, so to be honest, I'm thinking of stopping it for this reason only, other than that for my depression and anxiety etc its been amazing"

Erikap94 January 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was put on Cymbalta 60mg when I was in the psych ward for a suicide attempt. This medication significantly helped my depression and my thoughts of suicide went away. Cymbalta has been life changing for me. I thought I didn't need it anymore so I took myself off of it a month ago. The withdrawals are terrible! Worse than wothdrawaling from benzos, I was shaky for a straight week. After being off of it for a couple weeks my depression and anxiety came back full force, I realized how much it had been helping me and asked my doctor to put me back on it. I'm now on 30mg and feel less anxious and less sad."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I like it, but it is not as good as I thought."

cadenhong January 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Cymbalta helped me overcome my depression. I was on the medication for about a year and a half. I think having a great talk therapist was also key. I focused on cognitive behavioral therapy. I did not experience any side effects while on cymbalta."

Anonymous January 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took my first dose of Cymbalta last night and woke up in the early morning seriously nauseated and actually vomited. I went to work and I am struggling to stay awake. I already nodded off a couple of times. I don't think this med is going to work for me."

SashaL (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication saved my life. I was severely depressed with suicidal thoughts...felt miserable and completely hopeless. The hardest thing was the first couple of weeks on this drug. I had nausea fatigue headaches etc. But please if you are suffering stick with it. 6 weeks later I am happy hopeful trying new things and loving life. This is a medication that takes TIME so be patient. But it has completely changed my life and I am so grateful."

Leahlo915 January 5, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I haven't noticed any help at all with my depression, my anxiety has gotten worse and I've never been so tired in my life. Also I'm all out sweating like crazy during the most very minimal tasks."

Tryinganother (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been severely depressed over the past two years after the passing of my mother. MD tried me on Wellbutrin, Trazadone and Celexa. I continued on the Celexa for about 1 1/2 years but still had many days with depression and losing jobs only to remain in bed depressed, hopeless , tearful and suicidal thoughts. None of those meds worked for me. I have currently seen a new MD and changes my meds to Cymbalta in AM and Elavil in PM. These meds are miracle drugs for me. Been on them for a month now. I've never felt this good in years!!! "

Blessed37 December 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"please be cautious before taking cymbalta. I took cymbalta for 20 months, then decided to quit after changing my lifestyle. After discontinuing my perscription of 60mgs a day I endured brain zaps, insomnia, and eye pain for 3 weeks."

Ryan7741 December 20, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take cymbalta for depression and anxiety. I've read a few comments on here and it sounds like a few people may have or had serotonin syndrome. It has happened to me in the past when a prior doct didn't pay attention to my meds. Please be safe. Cymbalta has helped me a lot. I went off for about 3 yrs and have had to go back on."

Ithelpsme (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So far, so good. I haven't been on it very long but I definitely feel like my overall quality of life has improved. Mild headache and nausea the first week or two, which went away. I still get sad, when sad things happen, but it no longer feels overwhelming. The "doom and gloom" is definitely gone. I take 2 a day, in the morning."

CGW70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This is like a miracle drug to me. I suffer from severe depression, anxiety & fibromyalgia. After 2 weeks on Cymbalta my pain significantly improved as well as my mood/anxiety. I'm taking 60 mg once a day."

Tamz65 December 6, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Second worst psych med I have ever taken, and I have taken 20 psych meds. First off it's caused an insane amount of horrible side effects. I feel like I am living a fog all the time and feel like I'm literally going insane. It's caused chronic muscle ache (I had no pain problems before taking this med) The only thing worse than dealing with being on this med is dealing with the miserable extremely long withdrawal of trying to get off of it. I have tried numerous times to get off of it using a slow weaning process, but it's just so difficult to get off of. I can truly say I wish I had never started this med, and there a much better meds out there for all conditions, that won't ruin your life."

Tsuluzo012 December 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on 6 different meds now for depression. Truthfully, night before last, I almost voluntarily committed myself to psych. I couldn't take it anymore. After talking to my husband and my best friend, I decided not to go to the ER, but instead make an urgent next day appointment. I am I glad I did!!! I took dose #1(30 mg) at 3 pm. No zombie feeling. No brain fog. I mean, I could definitely feel I took something, but completely unlike any other med. Side effects, extremely nauseous, a little sweaty, giggly. Along with my SEVERE depression, I have multiple autoimmune diseases, PTSD, crippling anxiety, and chronic nerve/joint pain. I have not noticed decrease in pain yet, but wasn't expecting to after a single dose."

Hashisadceliac December 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"We all have challenges in life. I suffer from PTSD and depression. Over the years I have tried a few different medications. My fantastic physican based in Phoenix, AZ recommeded Cymbalta. It has really made a positive difference in my life. I have noticed that I'm doing a lot better in life. First my body pains have decreased. Followed by I'm more happy and positive. I'm more active in the local community through my commitment to a couple different volunteer organizations. If it wasn't for my caring and magnificent physican and NP I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I'm grateful for their support and on how well Cymbalta works. My quality of life has improved. Thank you for your time."

Cymbalta helps a lot... (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"For some reason I am still feeling depressed after switching from Cymbalta to a generic brand. I am finding it harder to deal with everyday life now that I switched than before. I have been looking for info on weather or not the generic form is just as effective as the brand name. If anyone can help with any kind of information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

Sad and confused (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had/having a horrible time with this medication. Currently trying to wean off with my MDs help. I've had every listed side effect and subsequent health problems that required expensive work ups. Most dramatically I developed vertigo and severe headaches after being on the med for about 3-4 months. Vertigo was debilitating and required time off of work and multiple doctor appointments to rule out other conditions. I also had electrical zings and numbness and tingling down my body. The weaning has been the most problematic causing these awful side effects to worsen. I'm a registered nurse and I would never recommend this drug to anybody. I did not feel any benefits for my depression."

Susieirene1980 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"started sweating first few days after starting med, and had weird feelings this med was making it worse. All went away after two weeks and now I am doing well with this med."

sgtjohn October 12, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had been suffering from depression, suicidal thoughts & tendencies anxiety and nerve damage. I went to a doctor who prescribed me cymbalta and I started on 30 mg. I was on it for about 1 week and I noticed I wasnt eating. I would have to tell myself to eat because I could go a whole day without eating anything. I noticed I did feel a little bit better in my ways but it wasnt enough to keep me motivated to do anything. So the second week I was put on 60 mg. I can say I have never been this motivated ever with school work going out with friends trying new things and actually participating in school. Im 4 weeks in now & ive never been better. Downsides: restlessness waking from sleep jitters and waves of feeling hyper."

Wacka (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I began taking Cymbalta 30 mg on 07-07-16 due to moderately severe depression, anxiety and physical pain. Almost immediately I felt better in all aspects; however, severe chronic constipation also occurred. I took Miralax daily and still only had BMs every two to three days. Then about two to three weeks ago I started feeling angry as if I was backsliding. I was going to increase from 30 mg to 60 mg but my doctor wanted to prescribe a medication for idiopathic constipation, which mine wasn't. My last dose of Cymbalta was on 09/30/16 and I started taking Zoloft 50 mg again on 10/1/16. I guess one can't have it all. Even taking Zoloft causes constipation but I take 20 billion probiotic twice daily and it moves things along regularly."

RacerMcRacerton October 2, 2016