User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Skippy · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 25, 2019

"I was prescribed 30mg at first to help with depression. After talking with my doctor, he decided to increase the dosage to 60mg. I was using it for 9 years and at first it seemed to help. But after a couple of years, it felt like I had a tight band around my head. And I was always dizzy when I stood up. Tried to stop taking it and it felt like I had the flu. So I continued taking it. Then last year, I got tired of the head pain and dizziness. I opened up each capsule to remove 5 mg. I then waited for 2 weeks to remove another 5mg. By doing it this way, I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms and am finally off of it! If it works for you, great! But be prepared for a struggle to quit taking it!"

mrdad · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 23, 2019

"Was put on this 5 years ago. It works good but there is one thing they won't tell you. The withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. I will probably never be able to stop taking this. If I miss only one day I get vertigo and brain zaps. Read up on it and it turns out they lied to the FDA about how many people had withdrawal symptoms. It's 70 percent! Some people experience withdrawal symptoms that last a year! So what does the FDA do? A little fine and a class action lawsuit that already expired by the time I realized how bad the withdrawal symptoms are. Eli-Lilly should have been sued out of existence but of course big pharma has the FDA in their pocket. Really read up on the documentation the FDA report and what it says about how they fudged things. It's unbelievable. I wish I never was put on this."

Babzter · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 17, 2019

"All the old meds had stopped working. I was in so much emotional pain, weeping uncontrollably, hating everyone, but reluctant to take Cymbalta due to bad press. I’m convinced it saved my life. It had a remarkable effect almost immediately. Plus (bonus!) no more back or hip pain!"

CJ June 15, 2019

"I am prescribed this medication for over-focused ADHD and depression. Before trying this medication I was on Adderall once, and Modafinil once, all for a short time. The Cymbalta medication has really helped me. The pain of depression is gone, my thoughts are in a better scope, and I don't feel as deeply and get into moods. While not feeling as deeply might sound bad to some people, it is a real issue for me. With my depression at bay I'm much more able to focus on what I need to do and do it with a good attitude. I notice I don't obsess over things as much and am able to be present in the moment, and easily change my train of thought to the next thing. I'm very happy I trusted my doctor on this, because at first I really didn't like the idea. I know this is temporary, but I trust in the medication to put me in a safe place. Understand that the bad reviews are obvious in that some people were simply misdiagnosed. I have no negative side effects at all."

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

"Took Cymbalta for 90 days. My doctor initially prescribed me a 30 mg/daily dosage and I lost sexual function. I went down to 20 mg and it seemed to amplify my depression and anxiety. I stopped taking it a week ago and have felt absolutely horrible since then. I WILL NEVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN! THIS STUFF IS POISON!!!"

lilflower June 14, 2019

"I was on Cymbalta about 3 years ago and it worked pretty well but I lost my job and insurance so I went off it cold turkey...no way!!! Sick to my stomach constantly, brain zaps and feeling like I was drunk couldn't even walk straight. then just recently I have fell into a deep depression and decided to go back on it and this time it made me go into a severe deeper depression that I never thought could happen to me. Couldn't get out of bed for almost 4 weeks. I said forget this and off I went again. So far no side effects getting off because I was only on it a month. Good luck!!!"

TW · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

"My Dr. started me on Cymbalta about a month ago. I go to a VA clinic and my Dr. is a great psychiatrist whom has many many years in practice. I told him of all my issues and problems and he ordered this med for me. I am currently maintained on other meds for opiate withdrawal, so I’ve been through the rough stuff before. I gotta say, even from day one , which made me slightly woozy, and some queazy, it is a wonderful drug for me. The queasiness subsided after a couple of days, and I noticed almost immediately my depression was decreased dramatically. It also did wonders for my anxiety. I have no issues with this med, it’s great for me. Not all people have the exact same imbalance , so I suggest to shop around until you find the right one. If you are getting meds from a general physician. I suggest you see a well qualified physiatrist and tell him exactly what you feel and when and how, and he can get you pretty close to the center of the dartboard of what med you need."

Mike · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2019

"This drug is poison..it will make you extremely tired where you don't want to get out of bed..and good luck trying to get off it if you want to stop..there has been tons of lawsuits against the company lilly about the withdrawal symptoms how severe they are. There is even a group on Facebook with 20,000 members who talk about how dangerous this drug is. The withdrawals are longer then street drugs it screws up your brain..you been warned!"

Lefty219 · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

"I believe I experienced positive results after just one dose. However, after the second dose (day 2), I developed a severe rash over my entire body. I had to stop the medication immediately and go to my doctor for a change in Rx. I am very disappointed, because it seemed to give the best result for my depression. Also, it was a tremendous waste of pills and money."

Moose · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

"Took Cymbalta for 10 days only have severe nausea and insomnia hoping it goes away soon can’t sleep or eat at all"

Lemon · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

"Cymbalta is the worst. Be very careful when taking this drug and watch for worsening depression symptoms"

chronic depressive · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

"Just by taking 30 mg I had an acute sensation of depersonalization, extreme heart stabbing pain, anxiety, extreme depression and overall extreme mental agony and a wish to just cease existing to not have to feel these horrible effects. I cannot tolerate another day of agony taking this drug. Whatever horrible depression I was suffering from before is nothing compared to how I feel now. It may just be me who tolerates SSRI/SNRI type of drugs horribly but anyway I cannot recommend this to anyone based on my experience and also knowing that these type of drugs pretty much always induce sexual dysfunction."

Aaron · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

"I had a similar experience with Cymbalta to some mentioned here, an extreme stomach reaction that had me back and forth from the bathroom after the second dose. I obviously stopped there so can’t speak to the mental results but it wrecked my body for a good 24 hours."

Me · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

"It worked for depression back pain and migraines. But I threw up constantly, and couldn’t keep anything down at all. It always came back out one way or the other. At one point I started getting stomach pains from throwing up so much. My throat is sore and a little swollen now too from it. And I would feel numb sometimes and “off” emotionally. Never felt so bad. Got taken off of it, and the withdrawal symptoms are awful too. Wouldn’t recommend it at all. It’s just not worth it."

Joyful1975 · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

"Hi, I am at the end of week one 30mg Cymbalta, and it is like a brand new me.. although today I have hit a little bit of a low, I am so much better. Cymbalta literally has saved my life and my marriage PRAISE GOD!!!!! I am looking forward to each day and know with time all will level out. No more extreme lows with suicidal thoughts, sleeping all day long, just wanting life to end. I wished I would have let my pride go a long time ago & told my doctor I needed help. Wednesday is my birthday and I am looking forward to spending it with my husband... Yay!!! 44 and hopeful for the future."

TP · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2019

"Cymbalta helped me get through a rough patch in my life. I am grateful for how it allowed me to cope with my sibling's passing. I was on 60mg and recently decided it was time to move on and discontinue medication. I decreased dosage every two weeks by 10mg, then weekly by 5mg (taking out one small pill of the 12 pills in the capsule). Please talk to your doctor if you wish to taper off the drug, but this method worked for me. I was terrified of withdrawals based on the horror stories I read, but I had almost no withdrawal symptoms. The sexual side effect of the drug was a real bummer, and the only negative of my experience."

Fab4 February 16, 2019

"I am on day 3 and I am feeling better than I have in years. My Mom died in 2016 from breast cancer and my brother died in 2017 in a motor cycle wreck. My brother in law had a heart attack in 2018 (they bypassed him and he’s ok!)and his mom passed away from brain cancer this year. Also a family friend just the other day. I have been convincing myself I could do this without help but it became to much. (I have a teenage daughter) :) I decided I had to try something. I know it’s only 3 days but if I feel this good now I know it will get better! Thank you Cymbalta!!"

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2019

"So I was on Lexapro for 5 years it stopped working. Doc suggested Cymbalta. I was scared to try with all the bad reviews. But I started on 30 mg for 2 weeks. Then up to 60 mg after 2 weeks. Side effects were dry mouth, nausea, dizzy. But side effects have gotten better and this is working. No more crying spells, moodiness. Also it has helped my back and neck pain."

MC · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2019

"It really gave me my life back. From crying and having panic attacks to kayaking and biking with my friends. Amazing product."

Cassie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2019

"I have been on several medications for depression/anxiety since I was 20 years old. Cymbalta is the best by far. I felt so normal on it with little to no side effects. It also helped with my back pain issues. Unfortunately when I was hospitalized they discontinued my Cymbalta and I spiralled down into a very deep depression. My psychiatrist decided to put me on Fitzima as there is a 30% chance of Cymbalta not being as effective as when it was prescribed the first time. It's been over 2 years on the new medication and I am going to discuss going back on Cymbalta. When I was on it I felt like a normal person. When I cried I knew why I was crying and when I laughed I knew why I was laughing. I am fortunate that I had little to no side effects with Cymbalta. I wish you all well with what ever you chose. Please don't give up."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

"I was terrified by all the comments to even try this drug, but I'm so glad I did. I've had none of the side effects (except maybe the constipation) that sound so horrible, and feel so much better. Way less of the negative thinking and ruminating negative self-talk, almost non-existent. I can have a negative thought but it won't be intrusive and all-consuming like it was before. And I've been on the medicine for less than 2 weeks! I've been tapering off of Wellbutrin since it didn't do anything for my depression, and the only drawback I can describe is that I'm still tired and have a hard time getting out of bed, which I was hoping the Cymbalta would fix (but I think it's a withdrawal symptom of coming off the Wellbutrin). Only time will tell! But so far the experience has been overwhelmingly good."

Anonymous January 22, 2019

" First time I used it, I could finally stop crying. The effects were VERY subtle. However it did nothing for my anxiety. I stopped taking it after some positive life events occurred and I thought I didn’t need it anymore. But I became depressed again; decided to take a pill from the stash I had saved a year ago for emergencies - when I no longer wanted to die or cry! Cymbalta saved my life, not sure if I'd still be here today without it. But this time it has helped a little with anxiety. Cured depression 10/10; anxiety 3.5/10"

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2019

"Had tried 4 different meds before Cymbalta in various doses for GAD/Depression. Had quit them due to side effects usually "brain fog", increases anxiety or depressive symptoms, etc. Psych doctor put me on Cymbalta 30 mg. Morning/30 mg night. At first I had some improvement with just mild brain fog. Kept on it for a total of 4 months hoping this could be the one. However, slowly turned into zombie. Tired, unable to think clearly, trouble processing. Dr. switched me to Vibryyd 20 mg. And tapered me with 30 mg of Cymbalta at night for 7 days. She said new med should help counter withdrawal effects. Well- during first 7 days I had mild vertigo, insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. was dealing with it. Next 7 days without any Cymbalta have been the worst. Vertigo, confusion, agitation, severe vertigo, mood swings, sweats, loss of appetite, tinnitus, headaches, forgetfulness, etc. I pray I am not one of those people that have withdrawal for months."

Dr.Sim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2018

"Let's be honest here everybody is different, some people do not need a helping hand medically wise in life and others (like myself) do, I came off citalopram after years of being on it, I felt it had simply stopped working and with added paranoia that it was actually doing me more harm I decided to switch to something else. Duloxetine was recommended by a friend, all I can say is life is sweeter now, always underweight and trying to put some in this drug helped a lot. If weight gain would be an issue I probably would not recommend, but if like my you feel happier with an extra 20lbs on your frame then this is the medication. To anyone reading this, hang in there and please don't ever feel alone, there is a world of people suffering the same as you and the vast majority of us care a lot about you and will always try and help because we too know your pain."

Barlo December 3, 2018

"I literally felt not real it sucked. Stopped after a week couldn’t hardly function at work. I was so sensitive to light and always had a headache. I would not recommend."