User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 6)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I cried everyday for three months due to uncontrollable pain from rheumatoid arthritis. I was also suffering from severe depression as a result. The first time I took Cymbalta,, 30 mg, I noticed I no longer felt defeated and felt for the first time since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that the pain was at times manageable. It helped give me hope. It's been almost three months since I started Cymbalta and it is still working well. I'm super thankful my doctor recommended it."

lisalevidaisybob September 6, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on 30mg twice daily for depression and fibromyalgia. I have been extremely fatigued! I am also having episodes of doing things and not remembering and also passed out on the floor, but have no recollection of anything. All I want to do is sleep and if not for having a toddler at home and three children that I have to get off to school and one to work, I would probably just stay in bed sleeping all day and night. I'm hoping that this side effect wears off soon because otherwise they are helping a lot with my mood and depression. I was on Wellbutrin and it wasn't working, I had extreme episodes of crying and anger issues."

JanetM416 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2013

"I suffer from mild depression and back pain associated with scoliosis. I hoped Cymbalta could help. It did not help me. Initially (first few days), it was positive mentally, despite side effects: headache, nausea, then bad anxiety. As I took it more, I just started to feel not like myself, lethargic and weak. I almost felt too calm and didn't care. I can see how this might be helpful to those that are severely depressed. I am not. I'm sharing my experience because if you only suffer from minor blues, I would not recommend a strong anti-depressant. I told my doctor it was minor, yet he prescribed me 60 mg immediately. I gave it a month and felt worse each day."

Ash239487 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been on most antidepressants and ended up with mirtazapine, which although very good does make you really fat. Cut dose right down but then the old feeling of depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings came back. My psych doc. put me on Cymbalta (after a roundabout of others that I couldn't cope with) and Cymbalta works. 30mg is lovely but 60mg way to strong for me. Blurred vision, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, etc., etc. So went back to 30mg and now feel great, I do take half a mirtazapine at night to help me sleep and don't know if its the combination or just the Cymbalta (as half a mirtazapine is a very tiny dose) working. It has taken about 3 months for it to fully kick in but now feel hopefully optimistic and more at ease about life."

woodleaf July 31, 2013

"I've been on this for a few months for depression and anxiety. I was on Celexa for 25 years, but I also have acute bursitis and bone pain from Hashimoto's disease so my Doctor switched me to Cymbalta. The first week I ended up in the hospital, the transition was AWFUL I was miserable and I had severe migraines. Everything smoothed out just fine and I was actually surprised at how much it did improve my bone pain and acute bursitis. I came to this site to see side effects that people are having because in the last two weeks I am finding that I am having really bad anxiety attacks at night, even while I'm sleeping; they wake me up. I had four episodes last week and another last night."

JustPlainJill (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2013

"I felt like I wasn't "Me", a very weird feeling."

GuapaGuera (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2013

"Have been on 30mgs Cymbalta for about 3 months to treat major depression and fibromyalgia. Have previously taken just about every antidepressant on the market with no real difference to my mood. Have tried to come off antidepressants but without success. My experience with Cymbalta is it has been highly effective in treating joint and back pain but the side effects I am experiencing are so bad that I am seeing my GP today to request help in switching to something else. Side effects include: sweats for the first few weeks, nausea for the first few weeks, increased energy levels, headaches/migraines on waking, dry skin, dry eyes and sharp pain in eyes, itchy palms and feet, constant phantom smell of strong, cloying perfume, severe constipation."

Tasersmum July 25, 2013

"I have tried over 6 different medicines in the past, none of which worked or gave me results that helped. (Very frustrating). I was put on Cymbalta and immediately evened out, though if I'm off for even a day I am an emotional wreck. So always have refills, or face the consequences."

jolter803 July 19, 2013

"I have tried just about every antidepressant over a 20 yr period. I have been taking Cymbalta for about 6 months and it is my saving grace. All symptoms of depression are gone. I am happy, focused, and myself again."

cindycc July 17, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 58 yo active woman with full time career. I began to obsess about my father's death. Every thing I saw reminded me of him and was painful. I cried over mishaps at home or thinking about a beloved pet that had died. Work was my relief but as soon as I got home the sadness started. My MD started me on Lexapro, which wasn't good for me. I suffered through work for a day but was too spacey. My job requires strong concentration skills. Prozac next which made me yawn like a lion. By week 3 I did not feel sad, but felt sick and had yawns like a lion. I then started Cymbalta and felt this was the most gentle antidepressant so far but then my EYES became swollen and DRY. I couldn't wear contacts! I gave up on antidepressants and started exercising. "

Daisy2daisy (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2013

"I was diagnosed with chronic depression and put on 30 mg. I used to cry at least once each day. I have been on Cymbalta for the last 25 days and I have not even cried once. For me it only caused nausea and I lost about 3kgs, which for me was not a side effect but a motivation to use the medicine."

dnzznd (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken Cymbalta 60mg for 30 days after being on Zoloft with Wellbutrin for almost a year. I'm feeling better every day. I have been able to do things that I have been unable to do for years such as cooking. Depression is lifted this medication is God send!"

Shanice June 21, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I can seriously notice a difference. I am 21 and for about 6 years (after a traumatic event) I have been suffering from "severe depression". I have always had pain and always been to tired to do anything but lay in bed and cry! I can now say I am happy! Finally happy, I can't remember a time I was ever like this. I am motivated, active, and enjoying life. It works quick. I do however have mild headaches everyday and multiple nightmares every night. I am told these will subside. It's pricey but I really think its worth it! Good luck to everyone."

Jallen2 June 20, 2013

"It works well for depression. Even stopped nerve pain that I didn't know I had since I had lived with it all my life. I just thought it was normal to have pins and needle feeling in my nerve endings. Lifted the depression. Was okay on anxiety, but still had to take Valium for true panic attacks. Warning though - getting off this medication can give hard withdrawals. You have to slowly wean yourself off. If not, you will get brain freezes or shivers which are freaky and scary. Also, extremely irritable coming off of it."

Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2013

"Hi everyone. As long as I can remember I suffered from some sort of anxieties. When I was about 16 my anxiety grew into full blown panic attacks. Since then it just got worse. Finally I went to psychiatrist who put me on Cymbalta. I never felt better than I do now. My anxiety and depression gone and I feel that I have to learn how to live without it."

CymbaltaWorks June 6, 2013

"My dr finally decided to try a different medication after I started telling him that I think I am bipolar, he put me on Cymbalta. It is good. A lot better then Prozac which I didn't feel any difference. I am taking 30 mg right now, think I could use an increase. Glad to hear all the good reviews about it! I think it is something I would like to stick too. "

Cherry400000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2013

"Saved my life, I'm very thankful."

AirieDarie May 9, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Cymbalta is so far the only medication that has noticeably helped with my depression and anxiety. I had more confidence and less anxiety while taking it. I say "had" because I turned 26 recently and no longer have insurance and Cymbalta is extremely expensive, something like $216 with coupon, so I switched to Lexapro. I will write a review on Lexapro once I get experience it's affects. Cymbalta is the way to go if you can afford it though."

Dre26 May 8, 2013

"I absolutely love this medicine so far the only medicine that has done anything for me. I actually know what happy is now. Working great for depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My life has been more difficult than most and I experienced an intense emotional life of ecstatic highs and darkest despair. It was wearing, but I enjoyed the drama of it all. GPs often suggested medication, but I considered my depressions to be 'justified', the intensity a means of 'being human' in all its extremities. However, the energy to carry these extremes ebbs, and in a particularly unhappy period my brain shut down. I work with my brain, so finally succumbed & trialled a number of anti-depressants. Didn't like the effects until I took Cymbalta. Finally, a normal emotional range. Two years later I stopped, the only side-effect a half-tone tinnitus, eased by taking half and I'm still fine two years later."

Dr Merlyn April 25, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My depression/anxiety the past several months has been disabling. Mornings were filled with crippling anxiety/depression and I'd stay in bed to escape being with the emotional pain. I felt overwhelmed all the time and just couldn't get motivated to do anything. Since Cymbalta, I have pep in my step! I have tons of motivation to spends HOURS cleaning a house with years of accumulated hoarding, and to clean my apartment which I couldn't touch in 6 months. I can get things done without the overwhelmed feeling -- bills, job, etc. I'm no longer deeply blue and crying. This is an answer to my prayers! My psych said that my desire to get better, counselling, and making changes is what is needed as part of treatment to succeed. Praise God!"

Angelica2013 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2013

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on Cymbalta 30 mg and it improved my mood so my prescriber increased to 60 mg. 60 mg caused increased irritability and negative thinking so I decided to taper off. This caused flu-like symptoms and "the shakes" so started researching Cymbalta withdrawal. Surprisingly, a LOT of people have similar symptoms when coming off Cymbalta. The only way to avoid it is to open the capsules and divide the pellets to take a gradually reduced dose over several weeks. My prescriber suggested returning to 30 mg to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms and I have stayed there for the past 2 months. I am back to experiencing positive effects - I feel like I am coming out of a fog I didn't realize had been surrounding me for years."

Fraydd April 5, 2013

"After 5 years on Cymbalta, I cannot say enough about its effectiveness. I really can't speak to the claims of pain relief, but as far as depression and anxiety, it's the best I can recommend. The insurance has tried several times to get my Dr to prescribe Celexa, or Effexor, but neither work like Cymbalta. Initially, I was a little spacy, and jittery, but those went away with time. I'd hate to have to pay for it as is. But, overall, I'd rather not take anything than to have to switch."

happyhappyhappy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2013

"I LOVE Cymbalta. I'm taking it for anxiety, depression and fibromyalgia pain. It is the best medication I have taken for depression. I have tried numerous other depression and anxiety medications and nothing makes me feel as good as Cymbalta. Do not miss a dose though the withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

CandiceL March 6, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this for 5 years at 90mg. I eventually had to go off this medication because the side effects were intolerable. I had night terrors every night, severe night sweats, teeth grinding and insomnia. The thing that finally did it for me was the migraines that were caused by my shoulder and neck tension on this medication. In short, it made me feel extremely anxious and stressed out. Also, withdrawal is very tough. I have been off this medicine for 3 weeks and still have severe nausea, anxiety, night sweats and night terrors."

eileenvote (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2013