User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 4)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"My experience on Cymbalta has been rather a positive one. As mentioned by others, in the first 2 weeks it does have side effects, I felt tired and was a little nauseous. I was put on Cymbalta as the entire country that I live in ran out of my previous medicine. I have suffered from anxiety, OCD and depression on and off for a few years. Since the Cymbalta has 'kicked in'', I have hardly any anxiety and no depression. I think clearly and rationally and not as emotionally as I always used to. I still do not have an appetite and I have been on this for over a month now and when I sleep, I sleep soundly and am able to fall into a deep sleep as well. I highly recommend Cymbalta and am very happy with the positive effects it has had on me."

Ginip June 13, 2015

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went on this medication two separate times for depression and anxiety. Both times it helped a little, but still the least effective compared to other things I have tried. When I tried to increase my dose I had a 3-day long migraine. I ave to give this medication low ratings for the bad side effects and the withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing from coming off of the drug currently. I have had migraines for 6 days in a row now even though I am weaning off of the drug. I have digestion issues, am exhausted and breathless, and I am having night sweats. I hope this ends soon."

Jenlashesy June 2, 2015

"I was on Cymbalta for 2 months to treat depression and migraines after a car accident. It gave me violent dreams, a swollen tongue and suicidal daily thoughts. It helped with brain fog and pain but the symptoms were not worth it."

Sarah0210 June 2, 2015

"After the first 3 days of taking it it worked for a week. I went from a very nasty snappy man to calm and commutative. That last for about 2 wks. Now my partner says im back to being nasty and rude. Careless and snappy. Im tired all the time. Its not helping! I started at 30mg they put me up to 60mg now im back to 30mg"

Keit79 May 27, 2015

"Awful drug, didn't really do much for depression or pain, just made me numb. And good luck getting off of it, 9 weeks later and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms."

Ellen G. May 21, 2015

"Didn't work too bad, it takes some depressing feelings but also takes the good ones..... plus heat flashes/sweating were unbearable !"

Who cares? May 7, 2015

"Amazing! Best depression & anxiety medication I have been on & I have tried many. Horrible initial side effects but after 2 weeks subsided. Without a doubt completely worth it. Anxiety & depression dramatically diminished, libido back with a vengeance :) HIGHLY recommended from a person with a long history of acute anxiety & depression which was made worse by not being able to find a suitable medication until now. Best 6 months ever."

NoLongerDown April 25, 2015

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I would have rated Cymbalta a 10 if not for lowered libido & difficulty going off of it (not uncommon for most all AD's). I took for 6 years after an episode of anxiety & depression. I would still be taking it but it effect was dropping off after about 6 years so I switched meds (wish I hadn't have messed with switching but that's another story). The only side effect I noticed consistently over 6 years was decreased libido. I'm sure there were initial start up effects but I was such a nervous wreck that I either didn't notice or don't remember. It was a great med for me & I wish it still worked."

lesweet1971 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

"Works really well with little or no side effects."

StormyRed48 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2015

"I have been on SSRI since the age of 14 now I can tell you I am 42 now and have lived half my life in a fog. Feeling tierd, not interested in anything just wanting to sleep. I changed from lexapro to cymbalta a week ago and wow. I have energy I'm not like dragging myself around all day. I feel motivated - the only down fall has been hot flashes. I read cymbalta can cause that but I will deal with it as I feel as great. I have more than one emotion, I would say definately try it everyone is going to respond differently. Have had some issues waking up alot at night. But that's about it. I have to pay 200 dollars a month for this medicine but it is worth it. Good luck to you"

Tayaloxely April 6, 2015

"I had been suffering with chronic pain for years. Finally, a friend pointed out to me how depressed I was most of the time. I suppose I have been suffering from some sort of depression most of my life, but just accepted the feelings as normal or just my personality in general. Finally I found a pain specialist who put me on a very effective combination of meds, including Cymbalta. Along with morphine and percocet it has worked wonders for me. I seem to be as good now as I could ever imagine. Bouts of depression are very mild and far between each other. My pain is still there but mild enough to not effect my outlook on life. The only warning I have about taking Cymbalta is to make sure you don't run out. Missing few days is a horror"

Beware of Gods (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2015

"Been very helpful"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2015

"Have taken this medicine for over 3 years, I was previously on Pristiq. To start with at 60mg this medication worked for me pretty well for a year or so. Once I became pregnant they reduced my dose ( just to be safe) bad idea, I had a massive panic attack and feel very hopeless. They upped my dose to 60mg again which didn't seem so help so after having my boy they increased to 120mg which worked for about 3 weeks then it was as if I was taking nothing. Figure my body has just become immune. Also bad withdrawal symptoms when you miss a dose. Very dizzy, nauseous, sleepy not a nice experience unfortunately. But please remember this is just my experience with this medication not yours it could be completely different.."

Dannab23 March 15, 2015

"My gosh...I can't say enough about this medication. I suffered through a series of traumatic events one three years ago, and felt that my dulled emotions were simply situational. Eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't maintain a clean house, missed deadlines, isolated myself from friends and others, and would pray that I wouldn't wake up some mornings. This is the first antidepressant I've tried, 30mg dose. Aside from slight appetite suppression, I've experienced no side effects. I've been on it almost a week, and I notice I awaken without that heavy depressive weight on my chest. The feelings of failure, the crying jags, and the crippling anxiety are diminishing already."

DifferentPlight (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Cymbalta helped me so much. I was suffered severe depression after a very rough time in my life. I began taking 30mg, which worked for a few months, but my anxiety and depression were beginning to get worse. My doctor raised me to 60mg, and at first it made me very nauseous, dizzy, and just sick for a few days, but after that, I felt like a new person. I had energy, I was happy, and once again back to myself, the girl I was before depression consumed me. I was on Cymbalta for 3 years, until I got pregnant and had to immediately quit. The withdrawals were terrible, considering you're usually weaned off of this medication. Overall, Cymbalta is a wonderful medication for depression."

Sam J March 9, 2015

"Well, ive been taking antidepressants every since i was 17 years old, im 37 today. I wont lie to you. I abuse cymbalta by skipping a few days and restarting it again. I get very grumpy on the inbetween days when i dont take it. But when i finally do, whoa mama!!! All the sudden i believe in god, and hes touching me with all his love. Cymbalta made me not fear the dentist either. I went in there and had 28 of my teeth removed. I had bad teeth from not brushing as a kid. Not doing drugs. The only drugs i do are antidepressants. So yeah. Cymbalta changed my life. Good drug. Highly recommend"

dase (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2015

"I took this medicine for about 5 years in addition to Lithium for bipolar 2. It was good for depression and anxiety, but I found I was tired a lot, and if I got a bad nights sleep (which was often) my mood could drop or I could become slightly hypomanic."

bry188uk (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2015

"Confusion, grumpiness, memory loss, and lethargy."

Esther-essie February 24, 2015

"Loved this medication when I first started taking it. I started taking to get through depression and my Father was dying of cancer. Thought it was the best medicine ever until I gained 50lbs within 5 months and the effect of the medication started to wear off. What was worse was the effects of getting off this medicine, vertigo for a month with migraine headache and what I call brain buzz for a month straight, that was tough perhaps worse than having depression. I wouldn't have taken it had I read the reviews first."

Lukins February 11, 2015

"After following multiple combat tours I damaged my rotator cuff on my last tour and was exposed to close impact of mortar/ rocket impacts. Upon my return home, I was diagnosed with minor bruising on my brain, &torn rotator cuff. Later tests found pulmonary embolisms requiring u hospitalization & lead to a botched lumbar surgery & lumbar fusion failure. Leaving me in constant pain. The pain aggregated PTSD, after trying multiple depression meds, Cymbalta 60mg twice a day helped control the depression. However, chronic pain still required pain meds. Prior to the Cymbalta, my depression continued even with pain medications. Once adding Cymbalta (after taking it for weeks), my depression was manageable. Diazepam as needed helps w/ panic attack"

PTSD Paul (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 4, 2015

"Very helpful but over last year or so waining effectivness."

Candy567 January 21, 2015

"I've tried many antidepressants, Effexor XR worked best for me but after complaining about back pain my doctor switched me to Cymbalta. 30mg the first week and then 60 mg. What a personality change in me. I was so aggravated all the time, very snappy. Just not myself. No energy NOTHING however this medicine did work for my back pain. I am being weaned off."

Brandy Lee Mahoney2 January 16, 2015

"I am one of the luckiest one for sure. Cymbalta is only my second prescription after Mirtazapine and it did the magic for me. I love Cymbalta because it not only reduced depression but anxiety too. So its two in one. My depression has reduced a lot in just one week of use. To be honest this medication affected me after the second day of use. And its only a start, I haven't even completed 3 weeks yet. I have full hope on Cymbalta that it will make me a happy person soon. Highly recommended for people who got both depression and anxiety. Side effects are slightly annoying though. It kills my appetite which is really bad for me as I am too underweight, mild nausea in the morning, constipation and top of that insomnia. But it all worth the result."

Pasker (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2015

"A life saver. Stopped working after 5 months but I am fascinated how this medicine got me out of severe depression. I was praying to die every night even I am an agnostic. I was that desperate. I don't now it's still beneficial but I take 60 mg just to be cautious. I was up to 120 mg. With Cymbalta now I'm on 54 mg Concerta (wish to take Adderall but not legitimate in my country), 200 mg Lamictal and 5 mg Xanax(built up tolerance) if need be. Still in depression but not bad as the past years. If you have major depression at least give this medicine a chance."

cao985 December 23, 2014

"I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years...my attitude was bad, my outlook on life was bleak, I stressed about everything and I worried constantly. I've tried several different meds like Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Citalopram but those made me feel weird and paranoid and then my anxiety increased. I almost gave up on trying to cure this mess of depression and anxiety I have but after I started on Cymbalta 3 days ago I immediately felt great! I feel so much more alive! The first day I took it I ran to the toilet and vomited but right afterward I started to feel amazing! Now I'm on day 3 and haven't experienced any nausea or vomiting at all. I had sex with my boyfriend yesterday and I climaxed as usual. Cymbalta is GREAT!"

Nora312 December 22, 2014