User Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression (Page 2)

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta

Petr81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 8, 2019

“I took Cymbalta 7 years , maximum dosage. At the beginning it makes you "move" , motivation to do something but as time goes on the side effects drove me to a physical and psychological collapse. Excessive sweating, insomnia & fatigue were the main side effects that gradually disintegrated my health globally.”

Maria das dores · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

“Awful! This medication helps to destroy you. Stay away! Thanks.”

Smile 23 October 23, 2019

“Cymbalta is good for depression and did help my relative for 10 years 60 mg every day but my relative wanted to be free from using anti depressants and so stopped it slowly reducing the dose which later worked and they felt relieved but got the worst depression and even attempted suicide. l am here to warn every one not to try to stop taking cymbalta if it is working for you just stick to it - the withdraw was a horror and after withdrawing it gave them 2 months of peace and third month a very bad depression that they have never experienced came back that they attempted suicide . They then had to put my relative to bed rest for 7 months every medication failed to work so they were switched back on cymbalta but it was also not helping even after increasing the dose so finally at the dose of 90mg it didn't help until Aripiprazole was added that's when it helped with depression but caused bad anxiety which we stopped with 0.5g lorazepam morning and evening”

Necee · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2019

“I’ve taken Cymbalta about 10 years. 90 mg and lower. Helped at first, then started getting agitated, no sleep, constipation. Horrible. Don’t recommend this drug. Had a mini stroke 6 months ago. Dreading the tapering.”

karysue · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

“I took this drug for 4 years for depression. It was not very effective and I tried to slowly go off of it even slower than my doctors recommended schedule. I took four months. A week after stopping I felt like I descended into the darkest place, I became cold and clammy, I screamed and felt so hopeless. Then I suffered daily panic attacks, my husband had to be at my side 24/7 for 7 weeks - SO FAR. I do not know how long this will last. No one can say. The Cymbalta withdrawal center says it lasts for 2 months. My recommendation is NEVER GO ON CYMBALTA. My physician friend told me "to get off of Cymbalta is as painful as getting off of heroin." NO JOKE.”

Trekk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2019

“The most important thing I want to share here is that it is the most addictive substance I have ever taken (And I have tried at least 100 different drugs.) It's not addictive because of the benefits it gives. It's addictive as anything because when you forget to take a pill - all the hell break loose. I highly do not recommend this to anyone. If you consider taking it - DO NOT! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Better be sick from your illness then get another illness because of this medicine. Do some online research about CYMBALTA HURTS WORSE”

Nandor · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2019

“Absolutely terrible. I was prescribed 20mg Cymbalta to replace Prozac, which didn’t help my depression at all. The first few weeks there were no changes, so we increased it to 30mg, then 60mg. I lost the ability to feel emotions at all. I was numb. I couldn’t make myself eat. I lost 5% of my weight. I had started self harming just to feel something and felt suicidal. For some reason, I told myself to go to the doc one last time. It’s recommended that Cymbalta should be tapered off slowly, but there’s almost no way to do that 60mg to 30mg as it a big jump and the capsules shouldn’t be opened. The doc said I should quit cold turkey since I was in such a dark place. The withdrawal was torture. I couldn’t leave the house for two weeks because of vertigo, “brain zaps”, headaches, and confusion. I’m on Wellbutrin now and it’s a hundred times better in my experience.”

Purple Minion · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2019

“This drug is a nightmare to get off of I don’t recommend it ever. I was on it for ten years. I am still having withdrawals after 60 days!!!! I vomited for three weeks. My body cannot get back in sync”

Jan1062 · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

“I have been on Cymbalta for ten years. It immediately helped my fibromyalgia pain and worked awesome for my depression. I was on 60mg for about 5 years and now on 90mg 5 years. I tried to come off it so for one month I took 60mg last February. The symptoms were unbearable. I felt bee stings everywhere and I literally mean everywhere. My legs were in soo much pain my whole body felt like it was shaking inside. I had flushing a fever non stop itching. The list goes on. It definitely served a wonderful purpose when I started, I just kinda feel cheated they didn’t tell me I have to stay on for the rest of my life. ”

Carolyn September 16, 2019

“I have Summer SAD (seasonal affective disorder) (yes it's a thing). My insomnia was made worse by this drug Cymbalta but it did take away my anxiety and I may have lost some pounds on it. After a couple weeks I dropped down to 20 mg every other day so I could sleep better. It was toward the end of summer and I started to wean myself off. I haven't had one in 2 or 3 weeks and I am still getting dizzy here and there. Did not experience zaps like others but I have to agree the withdrawal is quite lengthy for someone taking only 20 mg and for a very short time. Withdrawal symptoms included dizziness and daytime sleepiness - I only took this drug for maybe 6 weeks, and not every day.”

Matt · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2019

“This drug has changed my life and probably saved it. I take only one 30mg a day but does the job suffered. Anxiety to the extreme days on end without sleep anxious days gone thanks cymbalta”

Conster · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2019

“I've been on Cymbalta since 2009. On July 29, I went down to 60 mg; on Aug 6, down to 30 mg & off completely Aug 19. The withdrawal symptoms began within 2 days. Hyper-sensitivity, both physically (to sound, taste, touch) & psychologically. I got shaky hands, chills, fevers, itchy skin &, two weeks on, prickles, like nettles or poison ivy all over my body. I felt like I had restless leg syndrome through my whole body. Nausea was persistent. I also found I was unable to manage any social interactions. I have still not gone back to work. The depression came back hard. Aug 6, 9th, Aug 19, & Aug 29 were all awful days. I didn't think I was going to make it. The hopelessness & despair were the worst I have EVER experienced. July 29-Sept 12. That's how long the withdrawal took for me.”

Flossiesmom September 12, 2019

“I had been taking Lexapro for years with no problems. Extreme fatigue had my dr. Suggesting I change to Cymbalta. Immediately the anxiety...fuzzy head/vertigo hangover feeling started with nausea, diarrhea, unquenchable thirst, weakness, you name the side effect and I had it. Within 3 weeks I don't know how I was literally able to function. Very happy to be going back on Lexapro.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

“I am 35 and have had depression and anxiety for many years. Over the years I have tried different SSRI’s- Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro. They did nothing for me. I felt like I was taking a placebo. After a bad breakup about a year ago I experienced severe depression and my anxiety was through the roof. I went to go see a doctor and told him SSRI’s don't work for me! He said just give Cymbalta a shot, if it doesn’t work in a month or two we will try something different. I thought what do I have to lose? Within a couple weeks I could tell a difference in my mood. I was shocked because like I said, these drugs have never worked for me. Within a month I felt totally back to my normal self. No more depression and my anxiety has been drastically reduced! This drug has been awesome for me.”

Rocky September 1, 2019

“It might be a good thing that I have all-over body pain with my type of depression. Good in that if I don't take my medicine I feel bad. So I can't be a patient who refuses to take their meds. Cymbalta IS MY GO-TO antidepressant. I won't let my doctor take it from me......hahaha. I used to get a griping type pain in my right side when my depression worsened. My doc couldn't explain it. I think it was just one of the symptoms of body pain caused by my depression. I remember seeing the TV commercials for Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. That's when I became familiar with the name. I can't tell if I have any side effects from Cymbalta. I'm a 60 yr old female and my doctor has prescribed HCL caps 60 mg 2 in the morning. ”

Kimberly August 31, 2019

“This medication has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I was skeptical due to negative reviews, but I’m glad I tried it and have stuck with it. I’ve been on it for about 4 months and it took about 6 weeks for me to really feel the effects. My thoughts of suicide have reduced greatly, and my overall anxiety has gotten better too. I have had these issues most of my adult life as a result of a traumatic childhood. I have previously tried Prozac but it makes me gain too much weight. Effexor helped in the past, but I can’t stand the brain zaps when you miss a dose. With Cymbalta, I’m more calm, less anxious, less depressed, and I don’t get as irritated with my husband and young daughter as I used to. I’m going to stick with it for as long as it’s working. The main side effects for me have been constipation and zero sex drive. But I’d rather deal with those things than think about suicide and cry every day.”

Trina · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

“I started on 30mg Cymbalta, and noticed no helpful feelings. Then my dose was doubled to 60mg, still horribly depressed. Now my dose has again been doubled to 120mg, this concerns me as I have tachycardia. Not impressed yet.”

Wide awake · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

“Well..took my first dose this morning. 30.mg. For Anxiety depression and severe shoulder pain..felt odd all day maybe even highish? diarrhea once laid down at 9:30 pm its 2:10 am now. I thought I was sleeping but I was just laying there with my eyes closed. I'll give it a week maybe try taking at nite.”

Lanie · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“Be careful if you have tachycardia (fast heart beat) with this drug. It can severely elevate your heart rate. I used this med for 2 days and had to stop. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was given to me in conjunction with pain as well, it did help my chronic back pain, but not worth what it does to the heart if you have any kind of heart issues.”

Ali August 9, 2019

“I’ve been on again off again taking Cymbalta for about 5 years. The longest amount I have stayed on it consistently being 2 years. Unlike most of the reviews I’ve read and experiences I’ve heard Cymbalta actually gives me insomnia for the first week or two that I take it , it also suppresses my appetite a lot and makes my mind feel fuzzy. But Cymbalta also works immensely for me in terms of my depression which has been severe since childhood making it feel manageable. The withdrawals do suck , I get insomnia again, restless legs and brain zaps. If you can stay on this medication consistently or long term it’s a good option for depression/ anxiety. But if you are not then I don’t recommend it, the side effects at the beginning and end are rough.”

Kb · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

“This really works. I tried 5 different meds before this one and it is definitely the most effective. I would say give it a chance., it’s changed my life around within two weeks”

Rainmon · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

“Cymbalta works well with no effects - unlike Zoloft witch made me feel like a zombie”

oneiannie July 21, 2019

“I started Cymbalta for my depression as Zoloft wasn't able to keep up. I also have myofasial pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, bursitis, sciatica, SI joint Dysfunction, osteoarthritis in my left knee/right hip. Cymbalta pulled me out of the horrible depressive spell but it really calmed my fibro and myofasial pain. Like 85% better. Worse in the summer so I'm experiencing it still helping me but a pain flare-up trying to fight thru. I'm susceptible to migraines, cymbalta has not given me headaches. When I first took it it really knocked me out made me feel gross so I learned to only take it at night and it really helps me sleep. Only two bad things that have happened is - forgetting to take it the next day I'm pretty miserable and feel slightly out of it. The other is stay sitting up after taking it to make sure it does not dissolve in my esophagus or I get severe pain and diahrrea. I'm on 60mg since February and I still feel good. I've never had anything help my chronic major depression like this has.”

Shaky July 17, 2019

“My Dr prescribed 60 Mg Cymbalta yesterday. I took one capsule at 1:00 pm. At 4:00am I had double vision. I also have glaucoma. Im not sure if I should take even 1 more. But I need a antidepressant so bad!”

Nicole July 5, 2019

“I had been on eight different anti depressants for 12 years. I tried Cymbalta and had been on it for 14 years .I try to get off of it and I took eight months and I completely went off. Withdrawals were horrific All of my depression and anxiety came back but worse than ever. I’m so glad to be back on it. Cymbalta is a lifesaver.”