User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"First day I took the first 20mg capsule...thought I was going to have a seizure and was having a full blown panic attack. She had given me this for anxiety and for pain (didn't help either: in fact made BOTH the pain and anxiety worse) I couldn't sleep that night. I was supposed to try it for 3 weeks before she upped my dose but I said no way. I threw the bottle away and don't ever want to put one in my body again. It almost strangely reminded me of being on a stimulant (adderall or vyvanse) but it wasn't pleasant or made me focus. I was extremely distracted and panicking so much. I cried for hours."

Anonymous January 16, 2017

"Rheumatologist put me on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I started on the medication, 20 mg, I think. I worked at a bank at the time and 1 week into taking it I was having anxiety attacks at work. I had anxiety before this but not in social situations like this. I stayed on it for another week or so but took myself off. She also put me on amitriptine for muscle relaxation at night. First it knocked me the heck out, then within 2 wks I would wake up with bad cramps in my legs and such tension/contraction in all my muscles that I couldn't sleep. Weaned myself off of that too. Told Dr what happened, she said it wasn't the medicine causing the symptoms. Right.. 10 months later still have anxiety, voice is shaky, not working."

Escape from anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

"I'm on cymbalta 30mg for my anxiety and depression and I have been on it for a month I have no side effects but nausea and being tired but that all went away in about 2 weeks but great meds works great for me"

Lisapl January 9, 2017

"Just started taking this med 5 days ago after 5 years on Celexa. Celexa always left me at an "I'm fine" state and I just said that "I just am older, so I shouldn't expect to have the energy I had in high school" (I'm 26). Two months ago, my meds seemed to stop working all together. My doc decided we should counter-taper meds between Celexa and Cymbalta. Day one of Cymbalta on the lowest dose, I felt absolutely amazing. I have all of my full range of emotions and so much energy and concentration! For about 8 hours on Day 2, my eyebrow would twitch on and off, but that's gone. I'm planning on discussing with my doc about keeping the low dose (he suggested one up) and just completely getting rid of Celexa and see how that works. I'm ecstatic!"

Jezy January 6, 2017

"By the third dose, I had experienced chest tightness, dry mouth, dilated pupils, dizziness and a loss of emotions. The most interference in my life was the dizziness. I did not want to drive the 25 miles to work and back due to feeling dizzy. The side effect that bothered me the most was the lack of feeling emotions. I felt very detached from any emotion and was unable to cry, laugh or feel love. I discontinued the drug after the third dose. This was not the way I wanted to feel while dealing with moderate anxiety. I'll look for herbal remedies and remain in therapist-guided talk therapy. I don't want to be a dizzy emotional zombie. I am also scared to death, from what I've read, to discontinue this drug due to horrendous bad side effects."

Susana Cruz (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"At 60 years old with needle like pains and over 30 years of generalized anxiety it took two weeks of a little fog. I started taking at night 30mg. I am the guy I use to be today. Not worried about getting off because I'm not. I have tried it all and for depression caused by pain will fix this. Give it time. I put an X on each day and quit after a month. Smooth sailing."

RustyHinges December 15, 2016

"After taking Cipralex for anxiety for over 6 months, I began to experience very low mood and energy levels. My doctor recommended I switch to Cymbalta. Overall my experience has been positive. I didn't even notice, but on Cipralex I had a very decreased sex drive that rebounded right back once I was put on Cymbalta. I had trouble finishing the first 2 weeks during sex, but this side effect along with decreased appetite dissipated after the first 3 weeks of treatment. Overall my mood has stabilized and I feel very good on this drug. Please note that people tend to report either great or horrible experiences and everyone reacts to drugs differently. Take reviews with a grain of salt and always collaborate with your doctor for best results."

cpbeans December 8, 2016

"Cymbalta is from the devil Evil, evil drug. Trying to stop it is hell on earth. Severe anxiety and emotional pain. Horrible dreams. I am an absolute wreck. Didn't take it for three days and was in extreme trouble. They don't make the dose low enough so you can get off it. Lowest is 30mg. Load of garbage."

Cymbalta is from the devil (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

"Guys I have unbearable anxiety everyday. Nothing seems to work. I'm currently on lyrics which dulls it down a little but its highly addictive and you can't miss a dose or you go through hell. It affects your sex drive also. I have tried all the anti D's I can think of but nothing seems to work. Life is hell everyday I get up and its the same mental torment. What do I do? Is cymbalta worth trying?"

Big anx October 15, 2016

"Hi everyone-I just started Cymbalta about 2 weeks ago and so far it has been great-My anxiety was really bad for months, leading to severe depression, and I finally had to talk to my doctor about taking something-I was reluctant about taking anything and hadn't before now-I am so glad I did! I take 30 mg now 1x day and like the lower dose-Initially had a couple a bad reactions-after 12 hrs of my first pill, I got severely hyper but it settled about 6 hrs later then I took a day off and restarted-it's been fine ever since-I can't explain how great it feels to not have those negative thoughts constantly harass you and the renewed sense of self and confidence is over-whelming. I only noticed dry mouth and I'm more forgetful it seems."

Kiyoty October 3, 2016

"I'm taking Duloxetine 20mg per day for anxiety and minor depression. I have taken this med for almost two months and keep a daily journal. As a 'blind study' I started this drug without my wife's knowledge. I noticed a decrease in my overall anxiety in ten (10) days and my wife mentioned my calmness in two weeks. I am a 70 year old male and I supplement Duloxetine with Buspar on an 'as needed' basis for anxiety. The Duloxetine seems to smooth things out without the numbing effect of a benzodiazepine. I'm on the minimum available dosage and will soon ask my PCP to up my dosage to 40mg per day. There have been absolutely no bad side effects from the drug."

zionfrost (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

"I'm on at this time 1mg alprazalam 3×a day. And Cymbalta 60 milligrams once a day ever since I started taking the Cymbalta my anxiety my mood my pain it all feels way better. I used to take 8 or as many as I needed bars a day for my anxiety. Finally got into a psychiatrist I was so freaked out that they were going to prescribe me Xanax for anxiety because doctors are so blah blah blah about it because people screw it up for people like me that need it well the Cymbalta lowered my Xanax use basically in half I think it's really more mental on my part and the Cymbalta has been really good for me I had one time that I went off of it for 2 days because I couldn't make it to the pharmacy and yes my anxiety came back in full-blown anxiety."

Lonely0420 July 12, 2016

"Was prescribed for depression, but it affected my panic disorder very much. I went from 6-7 panic attacks a day to 1-2 a week/month. It really really helped with my anxiety. The initial 2 weeks were horrible though, increased anxiety, hot flashes. And it interacts with a lot of medications (including vitamin d supplements)"

Elliotndbfjf April 11, 2016

"Changed my life. I had been experiencing slight bouts of anxiety starting at around age 19. Hitting me hard, randomly of course, only a few times a year. Then when I was 24 something changed with my anxiety and I became completely crippled by it. I was being consumed by constant anxiety, worry, fear, etc every single minute of everyday including when I slept. I was out of control emotionally and mentally. I had to take a box of tissues with me everywhere because the anxiety was so severe I would burst out into tears even during the "happiest" of times. Finally after suffering for months I decided to give Cymbalta a try, reluctantly though. After a week of relatively mild side effects it had changed my life and saved my life."

XYY DD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was experiencing awful panic attacks and anxiety that wouldn't let up, I tried so many medications but Cymbalta was the one that worked best for me. Started at 30 mg for a week then went up to 60, then up to 90 mg where Im at now. Only down side was it seemed like it took a long time to get here almost back to normal after almost 2 months but I'm glad I'm here, have not had a panic attack in weeks, anxiety is down and I'm off all benzos. Stick with this medication it did wonders for me and I'm very sensitive to medications."

feelbetternow March 14, 2016

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm Taking Cymbalta for Anxiety And Depression It Makes Me A Little Jittery And If I Don't Eat With It I Get Sick to My Stomach But I Feel Better Than I Have In A Long Time And Where I Was Using Food To Cope With The Depression This Actually Regulated My Eating So Now I'm Eating Less With More Energy And Feeling Like A Million Bucks"

AwesomeStuf (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

"I was hesitant to start on an antidepressant. However, while always prone to depression, the episodes had become more severe and lasted longer. I had terrible anxiety. Often even waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. Went on cymbalta. It took maybe 2 wks till I tentatively began to acknowledge that it might be working. Plus one evening I went downstairs to get ice for my neck (I had neck surgery last year) and realized I hadn't done that in weeks! Wasn't even taking It for pain. Ive been on it for 3 mos now. I have experienced extreme fatigue like if I didn't have to get out of bed I could sleep for 12 hrs! But that seems to be getting better. This drug has been subtle yet miraculous and improved my quality of life!"

Caligrl949 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

"I began taking cymbalta six weeks ago for generalized anxiety disorder. Although the initial side effects of disrupted sleep was difficult, it disappeared after about three weeks. I began on 30 mg and increased to 60 mg after one week. The results have been incredible. For the first time ever, I can sit quietly without a million thoughts running through my head. I no longer feel "stuck" on certain thoughts. I feel calmer, more relaxed and happier. I also find that my thinking is very clear. Overall, feeling very, very good. Highly recommend cymbalta."

Traceygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

"I took this drug awhile back, I was on it for 3 years. I don't recall ever having side effects while initially starting or during taking it over time. This drug seemed to help my depression and anxiety significantly, probably more than I actually realized at the time. Only problem I had was, if I missed a dose I'd be hit with massive emotional distress. Crying over the stupidest things rather it was positive or negative crying. My emotions were intense. After a long time without medicine now, trying to beat depression and anxiety on my own and being somewhat successful for an extended period of time I've been contemplating using it again. I've tried almost all of these meds, and this is the one that's worked for me the most."

nickname12345 December 11, 2015

"I have used Prozac (gained a lot of weight) Now I am on a combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. What a difference. No foggy brain. My emotions are back. Don't feel like a zombie any more. Feel a little dizzy at times, but the benefits outweigh the side effects. I lost 10 kg !!! Look and feel great. Will stay on this combination. Great for depression."

LT1026 December 4, 2015

"I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It got so bad I couldn't function and my Dr took me off work for 5 weeks and gave me 30mg of cymbalta (generic). By day 10 I noticed a big improvement..about 60% better. I see Dr in 2 weeks and she will decide if I should take 60mg. I really don't want to and I'm hoping I will continue to get better on the 30mg. I guess I will wait and see how I feel. I think therapy is a must for people with anxiety so we can learn ways to help stop the negative thoughts and not let them ruminate on a repeat reel in our head. I have found that there are things we can learn to help with that along with the meds."

AnnaDell (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I tried cymbalta right after I gave birth and I noticed a difference within days. My.mood swings before my period get very bad and I thought the medicine wasn't working anymore so I switched to prozac. Big.mistake. I couldn't get out of bed. I switched back to cymbalta and am on day 2 and feel good. Never had side effects or anything like that. This has always been fast acting and an overall good medicaton for depression and my anxiety."

Kmlampe October 27, 2015

"I took this for both anxiety and pain. It did not work as well as Effexor for anxiety but it helped keep away the bad anxiety attacks. I had to take ativan several times a week where as on the Effexor I took it once or twice a week. I changed to the Cymbalta hoping it would help with my chronic pain and it did significantly. The only bad side effect I have had is higher body temperature and sweating. I am currently researching other medications just because of this side effect. If you anxiety is mild to moderate and you have chronic pain I think this is a good option if you dont experience the sweating. My anxiety was a little to much for this drug to handle alone and I cant handle the sweating and "hot flashes""

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

"I've only been on it for 7 days at 30 mg. My Dr said to increase to 60 mg after a week. I feel it's working for my anxiety at this level so I don't think I should go up. Thoughts?"

angiesmith (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

"I took my first and last 30mg dose of Cymbalta yesterday. The side effects were just unbearable. Dry mouth, blurred vision, tremors, panic attacks, vomiting. I will never take it again. And now today, after only having took one pill and discontinuing, I am having body aches and extreme fatigue. There has to be a better way to beat this anxiety than poisoning ourselves."

LettyMachete September 1, 2015