User Reviews for Cymbalta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"I've been on Cymbalta for just less than a month. It has been a life saver for me. I have C-PTSD, brain trauma, anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I've taken more meds than I can even remember. Cymbalta us working great and no side effects. I can go out in public now without anxiety attacks and I'm not sitting on the couch afraid to move. Good med for me. I take other meds also and was taken off of Klonopin. I know have more energy and happiness."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

"Cymbalta worked great for me and I'm blessed that it did. I had read many reviews of those unable to take it for various reasons and that scared me but my Dr. suggested I try it and I'm so glad I did. For 16 months I had zero anxiety and I went through hell for part of that time. Things were going so well I decided to get off of it because taking it had negatively impacted my BP. I went from 60mg to 30mg for 30 days and then started 20mg. During the time I was on 20mg I had my first anxiety attack in 16 months! I'm back on 60mg and hoping once a few weeks pass of being back on maintenance dose that the anxiety will go away again! Wish I had never tried to get off of it!"

Hoopita (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

"Didnt do much for OCD, Social Phobia, and other anxiety issues."

yearsofocd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

"horrible made me so sick and weight gain of over 30kgs. caused nausea and migraines. Would give a 0 if I could almost ruined my life and made it almost impossible to work and enjoy life"

Aliceeee January 4, 2018

"Cymbalta was not a medication for me. Instead of helping me, it made me mean. I took it for a few days but that's all the time I needed to see the horrible side effects."

Clubqueen (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I have severe anxiety and this drug made me depressed to the point of hurting myself and thinking about suicide. I’m not a depressed person, I’m usually a happy go lucky person. Everybody reacts different but that was the worst 3 weeks ever."

Anxiety20 December 11, 2017

"I really love this one. Suuuper effective in so many ways. In particular, helped me get my depression and anxiety under control. It is included in my “concoction” of medicines, and just recently I tried cutting it out of the equation. -Ever since stopping it, I am back to crying regularly. Very sensitive and unable to control my emotions. I had trouble DRIVING because I was so overwhelmed with anxiety and terrified of getting into a car accident. Irritable, angry, sleeping 12 hours again. Depression is a bitch. I highly recommend giving this one a shot. *BEWARE* This drug makes you unable to sexually climax. (Which is why I’m seeking an alternative)"

Gabrielllllllaaaaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

"Within two days of starting Cymbalta, I had 'flashing lights' in my peripherals (which didn't go away for two years) and nausea. Not that big of a deal. But on day three, I was hit by an insane attack on what I assume was my central nervous system. I felt like my chest was in an ice bath, my internal temp dropped several degrees, my groin felt like it was on fire (burning/cramping), I started shaking and sweating and went into full blown panic. After taking a week off, I tried the drug again. Same thing. Absolutely awful. My doctors/pharms had never heard of these side effects, which were worse than my symptoms (anxiety-related feeling of throat/tongue swelling). I switched to Effexor (SNRI), which finally worked."

ahtnamas November 23, 2017

"I was prescribed this to help with my severe anxiety and in hopes it would also help my chronic pain. I think I'm allergic to it because in 2 hours of taking it I got a stabbing pain in my head and the light made my eyes burn. I could barely even say this to a doctor because along with barely being able to string two words together I had intense nausea with cramping and it wasn't until the ER had the lights around me dimmed enough for me to try and open my eyes I realized my face was pretty swollen."

RookSun (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"I've suffered from anxiety and depression off and on for most of my life. I've tried many antidepressants (mostly SSRI's) without success. The side effects of these drugs were unbearable (mainly acute insomnia and panic attacks). Finally, after 30 years of intermittent mental suffering, despite running 30 miles a week and seeing a therapist on a regular basis, my primary care physician prescribed Cymbalta. It is a miracle drug. Although I've only been on it for 3 weeks, I'm already feeling relief from a major depression that started 6 months ago. I no longer have suicidal thoughts; negative, obsessive thinking; panic attacks; and I sleep like a rock. the world is so much brighter - I feel a sense of calm, contentment, and happiness."

Jane Cahill (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

"I tried to go about my life without being on an antidepressant, but life didn’t seem very liveable anymore. I tried Lexapro, and though it stopped the heart pounding and shortness of breath, I was still very depressed and always exhausted. I also went from 130 to 150 pounds in about 2 months. I switched to Cymbalta and everything changed, I have never been happier. I wake up full of energy, which is something I have never had. I have also lost the weight I gained! Like others have said, everyone is different and medications will affect you differently. I was surprised to hear my friend had a bad experience with it. I very much recommend at least trying because it has helped me so much!"

Ame19 November 5, 2017

"All I can say is try it and don't take all reviews at face value - not everyone has brain zaps and puts on a ton of weight because everyone is different. All I know is I suffered from major anxiety and depression (tried to get by without meds for some time). I had fluoxetine and citalopram - the first only helped with depression and the second gave me heart palps. Now on cymbalta I am feeling normal and wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. The first week was a bit crazy, felt like on a bad trip. Then felt great for a week, then low again for two and now I am fine (Taken them for about 8 weeks now). I also have the motivation now to lose weight which I have done so I am fairly optimistic. 8 stars because haven't taken it long term yet."

Beaudy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

"I've taken Cymbalta for almost a year for depression and anxiety. I'm also taking Buspar. My anxiety and depression are noticeably improved. I have tried many of the SSRI's without any help, but this SNRI is great. I take 40mg/day. I've been as high as 60mg/day but found no help at the higher dosage. The only side effect might be a bit of drowsiness. I tried to reduce my dosage quickly and found this is not a drug one wants to 'cold-turkey' to get off the drug. The benefits far exceed any bad side effects."

Zfrost October 6, 2017

"Works okay for me. I went on it because Cipralex (Lexapro) pooped out on me. Doesn't deaden my emotions as much as other drugs. Anxiety is pretty much non-existent now but my depression remains. No side effects. I put on a lot of weight on Cipralex and it hasn't come off while on Cymbalta, but it hasn't increased either. I haven't had any notable side effects. Oddly, I did have an irritated sciatic nerve when I started Cymbalta and while I wasn't put on it for that, it did kind of help that too."

Shsysuwhevduos (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

"Go figure, the only one that works is the most expensive lol.. I have had not one side effect it works wonderfully for me. I used clonazepam with it for awhile and finally decided to just do the Cymbalta. I helps me with my PTSD which was caused by a severe car accident so I love it as I no longer have to experiment with a hundred different types."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

"Was on 40 mg of Cymbalta for 6.5 months, and it gave me massive high blood pressure! Since my BP remained elevated for so long even with BP meds, I became too frightened to continue taking any Cymbalta while waiting to see my psychiatrist for a revision. I know you are supposed to taper off, but I stopped completely 5 days ago. For days 1-3, I had symptoms of withdrawal with increased sweating and what felt like the blood coursing through me was pulsating. Also, arms a bit shaky when using hands. Day 4, first day to go out and run errands. The blood coursing feeling changed to a sort of high, with increased food cravings for 24 hours. Day 5, blood coursing feeling has mostly subsided, as well as the hunger cravings. Feeling good today."

High BP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2017

"I Just started on 30mg today, I had to come off of Prozac 20mg after five days, because it made my anxiety worse, and no appetite and my stomach hurt, and stayed in the bathroom. I use to be on Cymbalta and it was great, I came off of it because I thought I could deal with my menopause, and nope, it got bad again with anxiety. I hope Cymbalta helps me."

Cjene July 13, 2017

"I'm pretty sure that I don't suit this medication. The first three weeks were absolute torture with blurred vision, headaches, nausea, and no energy. After that time the medicine did seem to help my anxiety and depression. However, after three months the side effects came back worse than the first three weeks. I went to my doctor and asked to switch medications immediately. Coming off of the Cymbalta was the worst experience of my life. At one point I had uncontrollable shaking and muscle movements. I couldn't even concentrate enough to go to the kitchen and make a sandwich. I know this drug works for many people, but for myself it was like taking poison."

Spencer H (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

"It's amazing. Zero side effects. I feel "Normal". These reviews scared me but my Dr encouraged me to try for myself and see. Lexapro put 10 kilos on me. Edeonax made me the sickest I have ever been in my life and was a bloody nightmare. After that ordeal I was so scared to take Cymbalta. My energy is amazing now. Anxiety, panic attacks and social anxiety feel mild but manageable- like I have a chance."

Sharing (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

"I feel like some of you people commenting on how inept the doctors are at prescribing medication for you fail to realize how medications affect people differently. You had a bad experience? That is in no way, shape or form the doctors fault. At all. Your body chemistry is just different than they expected. These psychiatric issues are not an exact science. Medicine is not an exact science. That aside, I've only been on Cymbalta for about a month but I have already noticed a vast improvement. I feel less anxious overall and haven't experienced a panic attack since I started on it. Again this isn't an exact science and sometimes it takes experimentation to get the right combination. Hopefully I've found a proper solution to my issues."

MomoRose May 15, 2017

"Was put on this for anxiety/pain. Although it did help with anxiety, it made me very weak in the legs. So much so that I can't stand it. I am prescribed 60 mg, but I take 15 mg to keep the edge off. Im told weakness in muscles is not a side effect. Garbage ! I see in some comments that few others have it. Doctors act like we don't know our own bodies. ...So frustrating!"

nervousnelly9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

"I have never in my life functioned properly until cymbalta, I have gone from panic attacks , to public speaking with no hesitation , I finally have a real life , I don't over stress , I no longer ruminate , no shakings , no lasting side effects , a bit hyper and loss of libido but sorted out in a few months, I never want to come of it , changed my life totally , been on 60 mgs for 20 months"

may78 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

"I'm hoping my comments reaches out to those who like me gave up on medication time and time again as it affected their work outs. As a long distance runner and someone suffering from years of major PTSD and Anxiety, it was nearly impossible to have the stamina to run while on meds. I'd have to grin and bear the struggles of my PTSD without meds during my years of marathon training. Cymbalta and Latuda have been the perfect combination for me. Though Latuda is more for Bi-Polar, it has helped many people with PTSD, like myself. I have no weight gain and I have plenty of stamina to do my running. I'm so grateful to God and my doctor for finding the best program for me. If you're an athlete, help is out there."

SoCalPhilly March 14, 2017

"Started on cymbalta 30mg in Aug 2017. I do suffer from anxiety and in addition to that I have herniated discs and problems in my neck. This medicine has been the greatest thing I have ever taken. Finally I can go to grocery stores alone and not have panic attacks in the middle of walmart. So my anxiety has greatly improved. The tingling and dizziness I would get in my head and arms is gone. My neck pain has improved but it could get even better if I could increase my dose to 60 mg. But my blood pressure is at times is too high. Once this is under control they will increase cymbalta. I have had no side affects at all on this medication and feel like I can live again. Mood has improved and I feel like myself again."

Shuna (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

"I took this drug for GAD. Of course it did its job. BUT PLEASE READ ABOUT ITS WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS BEFORE STARTING!!! I have stopped taking it 4 days ago and you can't imagine the things I am going through. I remember before taking it, I read reviews about this drug. And one of the reviews wrote 'DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. IT IS HELL' and I was like why so dramatic. And oh boy was he not!! I am reading about how to reduce the withdrawal symptoms. And after reading the users who are trying to stop Cymbalta on this page https://www.drugs.com/answers/long-cymbalta-withdrawals-747877.html?page=2, I found out that I have a long way to go. Please be careful."

Fadi MEL February 18, 2017