User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"Works okay for me. I went on it because Cipralex (Lexapro) pooped out on me. Doesn't deaden my emotions as much as other drugs. Anxiety is pretty much non-existent now but my depression remains. No side effects. I put on a lot of weight on Cipralex and it hasn't come off while on Cymbalta, but it hasn't increased either. I haven't had any notable side effects. Oddly, I did have an irritated sciatic nerve when I started Cymbalta and while I wasn't put on it for that, it did kind of help that too."

Shsysuwhevduos (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Go figure, the only one that works is the most expensive lol.. I have had not one side effect it works wonderfully for me. I used clonazepam with it for awhile and finally decided to just do the Cymbalta. I helps me with my PTSD which was caused by a severe car accident so I love it as I no longer have to experiment with a hundred different types."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on 40 mg of Cymbalta for 6.5 months, and it gave me massive high blood pressure! Since my BP remained elevated for so long even with BP meds, I became too frightened to continue taking any Cymbalta while waiting to see my psychiatrist for a revision. I know you are supposed to taper off, but I stopped completely 5 days ago. For days 1-3, I had symptoms of withdrawal with increased sweating and what felt like the blood coursing through me was pulsating. Also, arms a bit shaky when using hands. Day 4, first day to go out and run errands. The blood coursing feeling changed to a sort of high, with increased food cravings for 24 hours. Day 5, blood coursing feeling has mostly subsided, as well as the hunger cravings. Feeling good today."

High BP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I Just started on 30mg today, I had to come off of Prozac 20mg after five days, because it made my anxiety worse, and no appetite and my stomach hurt, and stayed in the bathroom. I use to be on Cymbalta and it was great, I came off of it because I thought I could deal with my menopause, and nope, it got bad again with anxiety. I hope Cymbalta helps me."

Cjene July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm pretty sure that I don't suit this medication. The first three weeks were absolute torture with blurred vision, headaches, nausea, and no energy. After that time the medicine did seem to help my anxiety and depression. However, after three months the side effects came back worse than the first three weeks. I went to my doctor and asked to switch medications immediately. Coming off of the Cymbalta was the worst experience of my life. At one point I had uncontrollable shaking and muscle movements. I couldn't even concentrate enough to go to the kitchen and make a sandwich. I know this drug works for many people, but for myself it was like taking poison."

Spencer H (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's amazing. Zero side effects. I feel "Normal". These reviews scared me but my Dr encouraged me to try for myself and see. Lexapro put 10 kilos on me. Edeonax made me the sickest I have ever been in my life and was a bloody nightmare. After that ordeal I was so scared to take Cymbalta. My energy is amazing now. Anxiety, panic attacks and social anxiety feel mild but manageable- like I have a chance."

Sharing (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel like some of you people commenting on how inept the doctors are at prescribing medication for you fail to realize how medications affect people differently. You had a bad experience? That is in no way, shape or form the doctors fault. At all. Your body chemistry is just different than they expected. These psychiatric issues are not an exact science. Medicine is not an exact science. That aside, I've only been on Cymbalta for about a month but I have already noticed a vast improvement. I feel less anxious overall and haven't experienced a panic attack since I started on it. Again this isn't an exact science and sometimes it takes experimentation to get the right combination. Hopefully I've found a proper solution to my issues."

MomoRose May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was put on this for anxiety/pain. Although it did help with anxiety, it made me very weak in the legs. So much so that I can't stand it. I am prescribed 60 mg, but I take 15 mg to keep the edge off. Im told weakness in muscles is not a side effect. Garbage ! I see in some comments that few others have it. Doctors act like we don't know our own bodies. ...So frustrating!"

nervousnelly9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never in my life functioned properly until cymbalta, I have gone from panic attacks , to public speaking with no hesitation , I finally have a real life , I don't over stress , I no longer ruminate , no shakings , no lasting side effects , a bit hyper and loss of libido but sorted out in a few months, I never want to come of it , changed my life totally , been on 60 mgs for 20 months"

may78 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm hoping my comments reaches out to those who like me gave up on medication time and time again as it affected their work outs. As a long distance runner and someone suffering from years of major PTSD and Anxiety, it was nearly impossible to have the stamina to run while on meds. I'd have to grin and bear the struggles of my PTSD without meds during my years of marathon training. Cymbalta and Latuda have been the perfect combination for me. Though Latuda is more for Bi-Polar, it has helped many people with PTSD, like myself. I have no weight gain and I have plenty of stamina to do my running. I'm so grateful to God and my doctor for finding the best program for me. If you're an athlete, help is out there."

SoCalPhilly March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on cymbalta 30mg in Aug 2017. I do suffer from anxiety and in addition to that I have herniated discs and problems in my neck. This medicine has been the greatest thing I have ever taken. Finally I can go to grocery stores alone and not have panic attacks in the middle of walmart. So my anxiety has greatly improved. The tingling and dizziness I would get in my head and arms is gone. My neck pain has improved but it could get even better if I could increase my dose to 60 mg. But my blood pressure is at times is too high. Once this is under control they will increase cymbalta. I have had no side affects at all on this medication and feel like I can live again. Mood has improved and I feel like myself again."

Shuna (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug for GAD. Of course it did its job. BUT PLEASE READ ABOUT ITS WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS BEFORE STARTING!!! I have stopped taking it 4 days ago and you can't imagine the things I am going through. I remember before taking it, I read reviews about this drug. And one of the reviews wrote 'DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. IT IS HELL' and I was like why so dramatic. And oh boy was he not!! I am reading about how to reduce the withdrawal symptoms. And after reading the users who are trying to stop Cymbalta on this page https://www.drugs.com/answers/long-cymbalta-withdrawals-747877.html?page=2, I found out that I have a long way to go. Please be careful."

Fadi MEL February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helps me a great deal for my anxiety. I have been taking it for 8 years and it works very well. Also, since I start taking it, my lower back pain got better, but still I have some bouts once in awhile. I will ask my doctor if I can upgrade the dosage to help me when I have those bouts!"

Ziggy7471 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cymbalta saved me. I was in a state of constant recurring anxiety with many physical symptoms such as vomiting every morning, shaking, and over feeling of panic and disassociation. My thoughts were swirling (due to a very stressful situation) almost constantly. I started on 30mg and noticed an improvement within 2 weeks. I still had some anxiety in the mornings so my dose was increased to 60 mg. I have 0 anxiety now and am able to more calmly and clearly work through stressful or worrisome situations. I had very great reservations about any kind of medication and only decided to try because I had no options. It has been a godsend for me and I have had zero side effects. Don't rule it out, it may save your life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Cymbalta (20mg twice per day) for about a year. The drug worked better than any other AD I tried. Around 10 months ago, I wanted to see if I could come off the drug to see how I would do. I suffered from anxiety and mild depression. Once the drug was weaned out of my system, I haven't felt quite right. My doctor agreed for me to start taking it again. After three weeks, I have a much better state of mind with decreased anxiety. I really like this medication and have no side effects!"

Realistic February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took for 2 years. Seemed to help with GAD after a month or so, and was taking in conjunction with alprazolam. VERY expensive med, so I strongly suggest finding a prescription discount card or coupon ($41 was the cheapest I ever paid-WITH my insurance it was $75)! Do NOT miss a dose or you will get what I call "zilches" (feels like a painless yet bothersome & annoying electrical shock feeling from your shoulders to your fingertips). After I stopped taking it because I just couldn't afford it, and it didn't seem to be helping anymore, it took about a month for the "zilches" to go away. Again, they're not painful, just a very weird feeling. also caused some weight gain. Starting Effexor ER tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes."

CokoPicasso February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 72 it has worked great for me, still taking it no side effects! would hate to taken off it."

lonley January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First day I took the first 20mg capsule...thought I was going to have a seizure and was having a full blown panic attack. She had given me this for anxiety and for pain (didn't help either: in fact made BOTH the pain and anxiety worse) I couldn't sleep that night. I was supposed to try it for 3 weeks before she upped my dose but I said no way. I threw the bottle away and don't ever want to put one in my body again. It almost strangely reminded me of being on a stimulant (adderall or vyvanse) but it wasn't pleasant or made me focus. I was extremely distracted and panicking so much. I cried for hours."

Anonymous January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Rheumatologist put me on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I started on the medication, 20 mg, I think. I worked at a bank at the time and 1 week into taking it I was having anxiety attacks at work. I had anxiety before this but not in social situations like this. I stayed on it for another week or so but took myself off. She also put me on amitriptine for muscle relaxation at night. First it knocked me the heck out, then within 2 wks I would wake up with bad cramps in my legs and such tension/contraction in all my muscles that I couldn't sleep. Weaned myself off of that too. Told Dr what happened, she said it wasn't the medicine causing the symptoms. Right.. 10 months later still have anxiety, voice is shaky, not working."

Escape from anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on cymbalta 30mg for my anxiety and depression and I have been on it for a month I have no side effects but nausea and being tired but that all went away in about 2 weeks but great meds works great for me"

Lisapl January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started taking this med 5 days ago after 5 years on Celexa. Celexa always left me at an "I'm fine" state and I just said that "I just am older, so I shouldn't expect to have the energy I had in high school" (I'm 26). Two months ago, my meds seemed to stop working all together. My doc decided we should counter-taper meds between Celexa and Cymbalta. Day one of Cymbalta on the lowest dose, I felt absolutely amazing. I have all of my full range of emotions and so much energy and concentration! For about 8 hours on Day 2, my eyebrow would twitch on and off, but that's gone. I'm planning on discussing with my doc about keeping the low dose (he suggested one up) and just completely getting rid of Celexa and see how that works. I'm ecstatic!"

Jezy January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"By the third dose, I had experienced chest tightness, dry mouth, dilated pupils, dizziness and a loss of emotions. The most interference in my life was the dizziness. I did not want to drive the 25 miles to work and back due to feeling dizzy. The side effect that bothered me the most was the lack of feeling emotions. I felt very detached from any emotion and was unable to cry, laugh or feel love. I discontinued the drug after the third dose. This was not the way I wanted to feel while dealing with moderate anxiety. I'll look for herbal remedies and remain in therapist-guided talk therapy. I don't want to be a dizzy emotional zombie. I am also scared to death, from what I've read, to discontinue this drug due to horrendous bad side effects."

Susana Cruz (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At 60 years old with needle like pains and over 30 years of generalized anxiety it took two weeks of a little fog. I started taking at night 30mg. I am the guy I use to be today. Not worried about getting off because I'm not. I have tried it all and for depression caused by pain will fix this. Give it time. I put an X on each day and quit after a month. Smooth sailing."

RustyHinges December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking Cipralex for anxiety for over 6 months, I began to experience very low mood and energy levels. My doctor recommended I switch to Cymbalta. Overall my experience has been positive. I didn't even notice, but on Cipralex I had a very decreased sex drive that rebounded right back once I was put on Cymbalta. I had trouble finishing the first 2 weeks during sex, but this side effect along with decreased appetite dissipated after the first 3 weeks of treatment. Overall my mood has stabilized and I feel very good on this drug. Please note that people tend to report either great or horrible experiences and everyone reacts to drugs differently. Take reviews with a grain of salt and always collaborate with your doctor for best results."

cpbeans December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cymbalta is from the devil Evil, evil drug. Trying to stop it is hell on earth. Severe anxiety and emotional pain. Horrible dreams. I am an absolute wreck. Didn't take it for three days and was in extreme trouble. They don't make the dose low enough so you can get off it. Lowest is 30mg. Load of garbage."

Cymbalta is from the devil (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016