User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"I'm hoping my comments reaches out to those who like me gave up on medication time and time again as it affected their work outs. As a long distance runner and someone suffering from years of major PTSD and Anxiety, it was nearly impossible to have the stamina to run while on meds. I'd have to grin and bear the struggles of my PTSD without meds during my years of marathon training. Cymbalta and Latuda have been the perfect combination for me. Though Latuda is more for Bi-Polar, it has helped many people with PTSD, like myself. I have no weight gain and I have plenty of stamina to do my running. I'm so grateful to God and my doctor for finding the best program for me. If you're an athlete, help is out there."

SoCalPhilly March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on cymbalta 30mg in Aug 2017. I do suffer from anxiety and in addition to that I have herniated discs and problems in my neck. This medicine has been the greatest thing I have ever taken. Finally I can go to grocery stores alone and not have panic attacks in the middle of walmart. So my anxiety has greatly improved. The tingling and dizziness I would get in my head and arms is gone. My neck pain has improved but it could get even better if I could increase my dose to 60 mg. But my blood pressure is at times is too high. Once this is under control they will increase cymbalta. I have had no side affects at all on this medication and feel like I can live again. Mood has improved and I feel like myself again."

Shuna (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this drug for GAD. Of course it did its job. BUT PLEASE READ ABOUT ITS WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS BEFORE STARTING!!! I have stopped taking it 4 days ago and you can't imagine the things I am going through. I remember before taking it, I read reviews about this drug. And one of the reviews wrote 'DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. IT IS HELL' and I was like why so dramatic. And oh boy was he not!! I am reading about how to reduce the withdrawal symptoms. And after reading the users who are trying to stop Cymbalta on this page https://www.drugs.com/answers/long-cymbalta-withdrawals-747877.html?page=2, I found out that I have a long way to go. Please be careful."

Fadi MEL February 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It helps me a great deal for my anxiety. I have been taking it for 8 years and it works very well. Also, since I start taking it, my lower back pain got better, but still I have some bouts once in awhile. I will ask my doctor if I can upgrade the dosage to help me when I have those bouts!"

Ziggy7471 February 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cymbalta saved me. I was in a state of constant recurring anxiety with many physical symptoms such as vomiting every morning, shaking, and over feeling of panic and disassociation. My thoughts were swirling (due to a very stressful situation) almost constantly. I started on 30mg and noticed an improvement within 2 weeks. I still had some anxiety in the mornings so my dose was increased to 60 mg. I have 0 anxiety now and am able to more calmly and clearly work through stressful or worrisome situations. I had very great reservations about any kind of medication and only decided to try because I had no options. It has been a godsend for me and I have had zero side effects. Don't rule it out, it may save your life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Cymbalta (20mg twice per day) for about a year. The drug worked better than any other AD I tried. Around 10 months ago, I wanted to see if I could come off the drug to see how I would do. I suffered from anxiety and mild depression. Once the drug was weaned out of my system, I haven't felt quite right. My doctor agreed for me to start taking it again. After three weeks, I have a much better state of mind with decreased anxiety. I really like this medication and have no side effects!"

Realistic February 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took for 2 years. Seemed to help with GAD after a month or so, and was taking in conjunction with alprazolam. VERY expensive med, so I strongly suggest finding a prescription discount card or coupon ($41 was the cheapest I ever paid-WITH my insurance it was $75)! Do NOT miss a dose or you will get what I call "zilches" (feels like a painless yet bothersome & annoying electrical shock feeling from your shoulders to your fingertips). After I stopped taking it because I just couldn't afford it, and it didn't seem to be helping anymore, it took about a month for the "zilches" to go away. Again, they're not painful, just a very weird feeling. also caused some weight gain. Starting Effexor ER tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes."

CokoPicasso February 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 72 it has worked great for me, still taking it no side effects! would hate to taken off it."

lonley January 25, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First day I took the first 20mg capsule...thought I was going to have a seizure and was having a full blown panic attack. She had given me this for anxiety and for pain (didn't help either: in fact made BOTH the pain and anxiety worse) I couldn't sleep that night. I was supposed to try it for 3 weeks before she upped my dose but I said no way. I threw the bottle away and don't ever want to put one in my body again. It almost strangely reminded me of being on a stimulant (adderall or vyvanse) but it wasn't pleasant or made me focus. I was extremely distracted and panicking so much. I cried for hours."

Anonymous January 16, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Rheumatologist put me on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. I started on the medication, 20 mg, I think. I worked at a bank at the time and 1 week into taking it I was having anxiety attacks at work. I had anxiety before this but not in social situations like this. I stayed on it for another week or so but took myself off. She also put me on amitriptine for muscle relaxation at night. First it knocked me the heck out, then within 2 wks I would wake up with bad cramps in my legs and such tension/contraction in all my muscles that I couldn't sleep. Weaned myself off of that too. Told Dr what happened, she said it wasn't the medicine causing the symptoms. Right.. 10 months later still have anxiety, voice is shaky, not working."

Escape from anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on cymbalta 30mg for my anxiety and depression and I have been on it for a month I have no side effects but nausea and being tired but that all went away in about 2 weeks but great meds works great for me"

Lisapl January 9, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just started taking this med 5 days ago after 5 years on Celexa. Celexa always left me at an "I'm fine" state and I just said that "I just am older, so I shouldn't expect to have the energy I had in high school" (I'm 26). Two months ago, my meds seemed to stop working all together. My doc decided we should counter-taper meds between Celexa and Cymbalta. Day one of Cymbalta on the lowest dose, I felt absolutely amazing. I have all of my full range of emotions and so much energy and concentration! For about 8 hours on Day 2, my eyebrow would twitch on and off, but that's gone. I'm planning on discussing with my doc about keeping the low dose (he suggested one up) and just completely getting rid of Celexa and see how that works. I'm ecstatic!"

Jezy January 6, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"By the third dose, I had experienced chest tightness, dry mouth, dilated pupils, dizziness and a loss of emotions. The most interference in my life was the dizziness. I did not want to drive the 25 miles to work and back due to feeling dizzy. The side effect that bothered me the most was the lack of feeling emotions. I felt very detached from any emotion and was unable to cry, laugh or feel love. I discontinued the drug after the third dose. This was not the way I wanted to feel while dealing with moderate anxiety. I'll look for herbal remedies and remain in therapist-guided talk therapy. I don't want to be a dizzy emotional zombie. I am also scared to death, from what I've read, to discontinue this drug due to horrendous bad side effects."

Susana Cruz (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At 60 years old with needle like pains and over 30 years of generalized anxiety it took two weeks of a little fog. I started taking at night 30mg. I am the guy I use to be today. Not worried about getting off because I'm not. I have tried it all and for depression caused by pain will fix this. Give it time. I put an X on each day and quit after a month. Smooth sailing."

RustyHinges December 15, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking Cipralex for anxiety for over 6 months, I began to experience very low mood and energy levels. My doctor recommended I switch to Cymbalta. Overall my experience has been positive. I didn't even notice, but on Cipralex I had a very decreased sex drive that rebounded right back once I was put on Cymbalta. I had trouble finishing the first 2 weeks during sex, but this side effect along with decreased appetite dissipated after the first 3 weeks of treatment. Overall my mood has stabilized and I feel very good on this drug. Please note that people tend to report either great or horrible experiences and everyone reacts to drugs differently. Take reviews with a grain of salt and always collaborate with your doctor for best results."

cpbeans December 8, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cymbalta is from the devil Evil, evil drug. Trying to stop it is hell on earth. Severe anxiety and emotional pain. Horrible dreams. I am an absolute wreck. Didn't take it for three days and was in extreme trouble. They don't make the dose low enough so you can get off it. Lowest is 30mg. Load of garbage."

Cymbalta is from the devil (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Guys I have unbearable anxiety everyday. Nothing seems to work. I'm currently on lyrics which dulls it down a little but its highly addictive and you can't miss a dose or you go through hell. It affects your sex drive also. I have tried all the anti D's I can think of but nothing seems to work. Life is hell everyday I get up and its the same mental torment. What do I do? Is cymbalta worth trying?"

Big anx October 15, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi everyone-I just started Cymbalta about 2 weeks ago and so far it has been great-My anxiety was really bad for months, leading to severe depression, and I finally had to talk to my doctor about taking something-I was reluctant about taking anything and hadn't before now-I am so glad I did! I take 30 mg now 1x day and like the lower dose-Initially had a couple a bad reactions-after 12 hrs of my first pill, I got severely hyper but it settled about 6 hrs later then I took a day off and restarted-it's been fine ever since-I can't explain how great it feels to not have those negative thoughts constantly harass you and the renewed sense of self and confidence is over-whelming. I only noticed dry mouth and I'm more forgetful it seems."

Kiyoty October 3, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking Duloxetine 20mg per day for anxiety and minor depression. I have taken this med for almost two months and keep a daily journal. As a 'blind study' I started this drug without my wife's knowledge. I noticed a decrease in my overall anxiety in ten (10) days and my wife mentioned my calmness in two weeks. I am a 70 year old male and I supplement Duloxetine with Buspar on an 'as needed' basis for anxiety. The Duloxetine seems to smooth things out without the numbing effect of a benzodiazepine. I'm on the minimum available dosage and will soon ask my PCP to up my dosage to 40mg per day. There have been absolutely no bad side effects from the drug."

zionfrost (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on at this time 1mg alprazalam 3×a day. And Cymbalta 60 milligrams once a day ever since I started taking the Cymbalta my anxiety my mood my pain it all feels way better. I used to take 8 or as many as I needed bars a day for my anxiety. Finally got into a psychiatrist I was so freaked out that they were going to prescribe me Xanax for anxiety because doctors are so blah blah blah about it because people screw it up for people like me that need it well the Cymbalta lowered my Xanax use basically in half I think it's really more mental on my part and the Cymbalta has been really good for me I had one time that I went off of it for 2 days because I couldn't make it to the pharmacy and yes my anxiety came back in full-blown anxiety."

Lonely0420 July 12, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed for depression, but it affected my panic disorder very much. I went from 6-7 panic attacks a day to 1-2 a week/month. It really really helped with my anxiety. The initial 2 weeks were horrible though, increased anxiety, hot flashes. And it interacts with a lot of medications (including vitamin d supplements)"

Elliotndbfjf April 11, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Changed my life. I had been experiencing slight bouts of anxiety starting at around age 19. Hitting me hard, randomly of course, only a few times a year. Then when I was 24 something changed with my anxiety and I became completely crippled by it. I was being consumed by constant anxiety, worry, fear, etc every single minute of everyday including when I slept. I was out of control emotionally and mentally. I had to take a box of tissues with me everywhere because the anxiety was so severe I would burst out into tears even during the "happiest" of times. Finally after suffering for months I decided to give Cymbalta a try, reluctantly though. After a week of relatively mild side effects it had changed my life and saved my life."

XYY DD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was experiencing awful panic attacks and anxiety that wouldn't let up, I tried so many medications but Cymbalta was the one that worked best for me. Started at 30 mg for a week then went up to 60, then up to 90 mg where Im at now. Only down side was it seemed like it took a long time to get here almost back to normal after almost 2 months but I'm glad I'm here, have not had a panic attack in weeks, anxiety is down and I'm off all benzos. Stick with this medication it did wonders for me and I'm very sensitive to medications."

feelbetternow March 14, 2016

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm Taking Cymbalta for Anxiety And Depression It Makes Me A Little Jittery And If I Don't Eat With It I Get Sick to My Stomach But I Feel Better Than I Have In A Long Time And Where I Was Using Food To Cope With The Depression This Actually Regulated My Eating So Now I'm Eating Less With More Energy And Feeling Like A Million Bucks"

AwesomeStuf (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was hesitant to start on an antidepressant. However, while always prone to depression, the episodes had become more severe and lasted longer. I had terrible anxiety. Often even waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. Went on cymbalta. It took maybe 2 wks till I tentatively began to acknowledge that it might be working. Plus one evening I went downstairs to get ice for my neck (I had neck surgery last year) and realized I hadn't done that in weeks! Wasn't even taking It for pain. Ive been on it for 3 mos now. I have experienced extreme fatigue like if I didn't have to get out of bed I could sleep for 12 hrs! But that seems to be getting better. This drug has been subtle yet miraculous and improved my quality of life!"

Caligrl949 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016